Cable Ratings: Girls Good, Game of Thrones Steady, The Client List Swells

Get More: Finales, News, Premieres, Ratings

It’s not exactly “Girls gone wild,” but HBO will take it.

The pay cabler’s well-reviewed new comedy on Sunday night premiered to 1.1 million viewers across two airings, which was shy of the 1.6 mil amassed by lead-in Eastbound & Down‘s season finale, but (UPDATE) well above the quarter mil or so that Bored to Death was pulling prior to cancellation. It’s also an improvement on the 210,000 delivered by HBO’s previous (Monday night) comedy debut, Enlightened, which got picked up for a second season.

Reminder, non-HBO subs can check out the Girls pilot for free online or On Demand; get details.

HBO’s Buzzy Girls and Julia Louis-Dreyfus’ Veep Get Free Showcases

Earlier in the night on HBO, Game of Thrones in Week 3 maintained its strong numbers, drawing 3.8 mil to its first airing and 4.5 mil when folding in encores.

Elsewhere in cable land, you can file this under “Happy Beginnings”: Lifetime’s The Client List in its second week drew 2.9 million total viewers, up 4 percent from its premiere, and gained 8 percent in the coveted 18-49 demo. And, of note, it surged 28 percent with the Women 18-49 crowd.

Comments (26)

• “Earlier in the night on HBO, Game of Thrones in Week 2 matched its strong premiere numbers, drawing 3.8 mil to its first airing and 4.5 mil when folding in encores.” – Wasn’t last night season 2 episode 3?

Comment by Aaron – April 16, 2012 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This has been remedied.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – April 16, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about the ratings for “The Killing” and “Mad Men”?

Comment by Chris – April 16, 2012 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Reporting ‘em as we get ‘em. Cable ratings take longer in most instances; the above were exceptions.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – April 16, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A few weeks ago you corrected by comments about DWTS saying I should be comparing spring season to spring season. Yet now you’re saying Girls numbers are good because it improved on what Enlightened did. But that show aired on Monday
    A night most HBO scripted doesn’t air and certainly not a night a where a half hour before GoT got over 3 million. A more apt comparison would be vs Bored To Death premiere which beat it. You’re adding up two telecasts to get that million plus number, it’s hardly “good” as you assert.

Comment by Craig – April 16, 2012 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Remedied/edited/remedited.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – April 16, 2012 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Girls will go down next week. It was the worst pilot I’ve ever seen on cable television.

Comment by Jane – April 16, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It wasn’t the worst show I’ve ever seen, but I was searching—in between not laughing very much thoughout the episode—for all the greatness that’s been heaped on it by just about every critical outlet out there. At best, it was only mildly amusing, with a couple of cleverly written lines, but in the context of HBO series of recent past–the last 15 years or so–I have to agree it probably was the worst pilot I’ve seen from them. In comparison, the also-new Don’t Trust the B–in Apt 23 was about a hundred times better(and funnier).

Comment by ChrisGa – April 16, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. Don’t Trust the B is fantastic! I’ve seen the second episode and it just gets better!

Comment by dude – April 16, 2012 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I like Apt. 23, but Girls made me laugh out load several times. The Pilot of Don’t Trust the B–in Apt 23 didn’t amuse me as much. It was over the top for laughs while Girls goes the subtle route.

Comment by Rolfe – April 16, 2012 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Comparing GIRLS to DON’T TRUST THE B**** is mindblowingly stupid.

It’s two completely different genres. Yes, both shows fall in the category of “comedy”, but there is no reason why the two should be compared. One is a typical, solid single-cam sitcom on network television that bases its humor on one-liners and awkward plot twists. Girls is a pay cable comedy with elements of drama that doesn’t rely on zingers and physical humor and it actually has a progressing storyline that is realistic and relatable.

That’s why people who disliked the show disliked it – they expected a Don’t Trust The B**** type of show. Or should I say, they wanted another version of Sex & The City. And had they gotten it, they would’ve said: “Oh, it’s such a cheap ripoff of SATC, I’m not watching that.”

Lena Dunham is fantastic. The writing on the show is sharp, the acting is solid and the directing was beautiful.

If you want cheap humor, go watch 2 Broke Girls. And this is coming from someone who enjoyed both B**** in Apt.23 and Girls.

Comment by Marin Kuharić (@Prkan_708) – April 17, 2012 03:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No. I didn’t like “Girls” because I didn’t find any of the characters remotely likable or relatable. And I HATED the main spoiled girl who eats cupcakes in the bathtub and felt that being supported by her parents, at age 24, was totally OK. I related more to her parents, which kind of horrified me. I have no interest in seeing “Apt 23.”

Comment by Jess – April 17, 2012 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I suppose the title means they’re not exactly targeting me as a demo, but I still enjoy good writing. GIrls seems to have “look how good it is” writing. And that’s not the same thing.

Comment by Turnitup – April 16, 2012 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had high hopes for Girls. But… Ugh. Not a good sign when the best thing I can say about the protagonist is that she’s an insufferable moron.

Comment by Erin – April 16, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seconded.

Comment by ChrisGa – April 16, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hehe love your description!

Comment by AngieB – April 16, 2012 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Girls strikes me as being in a 30Rock situation. a critical darling that won’t get huge numbers, but once it comes into it’s own it’ll get the respect it deserves.

Comment by cjeffery7 – April 16, 2012 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Another thing they have in common is that neither show is funny.

Comment by Eli – April 16, 2012 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just didn’t like the main characters-especially Hannah. I think it may be more of a sign that I’m old and that I actually wanted to be on my own after college. I may watch one more episode, but I’m not sure.
    Did she take the money her parents left for the hotel staff at the end?

Comment by Angela – April 16, 2012 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Girls was pretty bad. I can’t believe they cancelled How To Make It In America, yet air this abortion of a tv show.

Comment by Sg.Grant – April 16, 2012 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Girls was awful. I want that 30 minutes of my life back.

Comment by Kyle – April 16, 2012 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its still sitting in my DVR, should I bother watching?

Comment by smidnite – April 16, 2012 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If I wanted to watch an dull boring show with totally physically unattractive overweight women of which the actresses all have famous parents I would (albeit Williams is pretty attractive). Unfortunately I don’t.

Comment by Hershon – April 16, 2012 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I did very much love the show. It excited me like Laura Dern’s Enlightened did. I can relate more than any other shows to this kind of smart scripts written by a female perspective. I felt like she was the voice of her generation. I already promoted it to my friends!!

Comment by b-line – April 17, 2012 05:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post