Law & Order: SVU On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

Come mid-May (if not sometimes sooner), the networks will be making some tough calls as to which series will return for the 2012-13 TV season, and which … won’t. As we did last spring, TVLine is singling out select “bubble” shows to survey their prospects.

Next up is a veteran NBC procedural hoping to cop a 14th season.

THE SHOW | Law & Order: SVU (NBC)

THE TIME SLOT | Wednesdays at 10/9c

THE CASE FOR KEEPING | Just call it The Comeback Kid! After what could have a been a series-ending shakeup (the departure of fan fave and front man Christopher Meloni), SVU somehow found a new footing. Whether it was through the addition of interesting new characters (most notably Danny Pino’s Det. Amaro), the introduction of a romantic interest (bravo, Harry Connick, Jr.) for the perpetually lovelorn Benson (Mariska Hargitay) or unfurling fresh takes on the special victims’ cases (Treat Williams’ emotional turn stands out), the show was arguably better for it. This is also the last of the Law & Order series still on the air, and to end this genre-changing lineage completely seems almost criminal. As long as tragic-yet-dramatic real-life crime continues to occur, SVU will have inspiration for exciting material. Plus, if the procedural continues even one more season, it could mean the difference between the return of Stabler (he would have to come back for a series finale, right?) and never getting a true and proper sendoff for the beloved family man detective.

THE CASE FOR CUTTING | SVU has certainly seen better days, and, after 13 years — a run which can only be deemed extremely successful — it might be time to shutter the always-busy sex crimes division. While Meloni’s departure was handled with more grace and ease than we ever thought possible, his absence is at times glaring and, so long as the series continues, might always be. Plus, it’s hard to ignore the all-time ratings lows the show has been delivering. Procedurals will forever be a part of TV vernacular, and the carrying on of SVU might be preventing us from finding the next great, gritty, solve-this-case-along-with-us cop drama.

More Keep or Cut Discussions: Fox’s Fringe? The CW’s Secret Circle?
NBC’s Whitney? ABC’s GCB? The CW’s Ringer?

Vote below, and then hit the comments to make your own case for keeping or cutting SVU.

TAGS:
GET MORE: Cancellations, Commentary, Keep Or Cut, Renewals

1. Carmichael says:

I’m sorry but I consider this the most disgusting show on TV. The Legendary Dr. Kelso said it best “We get it, the pedophile did it.” Get rid of it.

• rubytu says:

I so totally agree with you!!! I watched it for a while a few years ago, but I was disgusted by it, even the behavior of the police toward *everyone*. If ever a show promoted hatred, this one is it. Well, Nancy Grace, too, “the cheerleader of hate”, I like to call her.
      Unfortunately, mob mentality is like so prevalent, no one notices.

• icywinter2 says:

Enough with the hatered, it isn’t disgusting at all

• Heidi says:

It often goes to the disgusting but the real problem with the show is the pace. It has gotten so slow and who really cares if Benson has a date. The chemistry with Harry what’s his name was just gruesome to watch. Cut it!

• Dan says:

I think you mean “Hateraid”. Dunno what backward-ass world you live in where “hatered” is a word.

Law and Order is the same thing over and over and over again. It’s easily one of the most boring shows on tv.

• kate says:

…because in real life, rape is pretty. do you have any idea how stupid you sound? there’s a lot wrong with the show, it’s not as good as it used to be, but it’s not a bad show because “it’s disgusting.”

• icywinter2 says:

Not all the episodes are about rape, I meant that there are parts of the show that are great.

• kate says:

sorry, my comments were directed at the OP, not you.

• Jacob says:

For you folks that do not like this show because of its sex crimes. It is meant for it. Special victims unit, who aint no special victim When’s its extremely important. Myself and other love this show and want it to stay on the air. If I recall it’s not forcing you to watch this show it’s optional. Just stating my opinion.

• Heather says:

Ummm…SVU stands for “Special Victims Unit”. Which means most cases they deal with are children and/or rape. It’s not supposed to be pretty.

• Danielle H says:

It sure isn’t! And it tried not to be too gimmicky most of the time through the years. I was a real fan for a few years and would do nothing but watch reruns on cable, but I gave up this year. The camera footing got too shaky, and I just couldn’t get behind the new feel and new detectives.
        It’s time for it to go.

• CaseyAPaxton says:

Some people’s opinions are very out of place, considering the fact SVU is the most successful L&O series; one of the highest rated shows on NBC, throughout it’s 13 season history.

• George says:

Definitely agree. All it’s doing by staying around burning up last shred of dignity this show legacy has left. It’s basically a cut and paste crime procedural. All their “cut from the headline stories” are no where as interesting than the actual stories.

Broadcast in general is not doing complex crime drama at all. The last attempt was The Chicago Code on Fox. Fox execs idiotically canceled it. Now only three show on cable are filling that void.

1.Justified
      2.South Land
      3.The Closer

• Sheldon W says:

Compared to Criminal Minds, SVU is sweetness and light.

• Rumor says:

Reality is disgusting. Just because it makes you uncomfortable doesn’t mean we should stop discussing sex crimes.

• emily says:

Exactly I wish more people would talk about these things so that more people know it is okay to come out and tell because in reality it happens every day and i am in love with this show it helps people understand i never came out until after this show because then i understood it

• Mariskateer says:

Either way “KEEP” is winning by 72%. *Kanye Shrugs*

• JC says:

I’m sorry, is someone forcing you to watch this show against your will?

• Melissa says:

First of all, if you don’t like the show don’t watch it! Second, I have watched the show for the last 13 seasons and when Chris left I thought it wouldn’t be the same, but I gave it a fair chance just because I’m a fan of the show not just Chris. The shoes the new cast had to fill were extremely big and in my opinion they did good! People, give it a chance, let go of the past and embrace the future. Chris will always be part of the show but let the new cast have a go at it too. Why end a legacy just because you lost one person from an entire cast, don’t forget about the crew that works on that show as well, it’s an amazing production and I love it!

• Cj says:

Law && Order SVU is a great show First of all. Second of all how is it disgusting.? This kind of stuff happens everyday. This show also teaches kids about the people that are actually out there. Those people who thinks this show is disgusting has problems. I’m 17 and have watched every single season and episode I love this show and I hope it keeps going. Wish Stabler would come back though.

• Cj says:

Law && Order SVU is a great show First of all. Second of all how is it disgusting.? This kind of stuff happens everyday. This show also teaches kids about the people that are actually out there. Those people who think this show is disgusting has problems. I’m 17 and have watched every single season and episode I love this show and I hope it keeps going. Wish Stabler would come back though.

• Law&Order SVU is a amzing show. It has helped alot of people over the years and has taught many good things. For is real fans it does matter if Benson got a date or how things go on in the personal lives f the characters of this show. It has to stay on. It will be completely wrong to just cut it off after almost 18 years of shows. For the people wjo dont like the show, the solution to your problem is to just shut up and when you see the show on your t.v., dont watch it. Save us from your ignorant complaints and just dont watch the show.

2. AW says:

If we can get a little more Diane Neal as Casey Novak, I vote keep without hesitation!

• Lisa Ray says:

Keep SVU! It’s websites like this one that keep up this renew-cancel speculation. TV by the Numbers cites SVU as “likely renewal” on NBC, so not worried. SVU pulls in the 18-49 demo than most other NBC shows that pull UNDER 1.5.

NBC would be foolish to let it go, and the show is better than it’s been in YEARS!

• Judy Wallace says:

It’s bad enough that you cancelled CSI Miami and now you may cut Law and Order SVU,
        also CSI New York has been cancelled. You people seem to cancel all the good shows.
        Without A Trace was also a good show. How about cancelling those crazy sitcoms that
        aren’t good at all.

• Jacob says:

Casey novach is coming back she just got suspended for a year

3. Matthew says:

Keep for one final 14th season for the fans to bid farewell to the Law & Order franchise once and for all the right way.

• Matthew says:

Though I am not a fan so I really don’t care either way

• Avi says:

I like this. I personally hate procedural dramas so I voted cut. It’s NBC though so there really isn’t anything they could put in its place so it’ll probably get a pickup.

• kate says:

this is actually a great idea. I haaated the way the original got canceled with no real finale or anything. the original was actually getting back to being really good again after a couple of seasons of stumbling.

4. ALEANA says:

KEEP! KEEP! LOVE THE SHOW I JUST DON’T LIKE THAT THEY CAN NEVER STICK WITH A LOVE INTEREST FOR OLIVIA TO ME THEY SHOULD MAKE HER GAY BECAUSE SHE HAS AMAZING CHEMISTRY WITH THE WOMEN WHO GUEST STAR WITH SHOW THEN SHE DO WITH MALE IN MY OPINION

• icywinter2 says:

What would making a character gay do anything it doesn’t. She isn’t gay and they aren’t going to go in that direction.

• emily says:

Definatly i tottaly agree

• Jill says:

I totally agree they should make her gay, she comes off as a total closet case she connects better with the women on the show much better then any of the men. I would LOVE to see her and Rollins get together.

• Jeremy Ferguson says:

HELL NO! DON’T MAKE HER GAY. 1 IT’S WRONG AND 2 IT’S SO STUPID AND 3 THAT’S ALL THAT IS ON TV THESE DAYS. KEEP HER THE WAY IT IS.

5. Newell Carole says:

This show is one of two NBC shows that I watch. It is interesting and it brings a in-depth review of crimes that are in the news now! NBC wants to drop the show and my question is this: Have they not noticed that people watch the reruns of Law and Order on TBS instead of their new shows?

6. J says:

Started out well and then got progressively worst. Also, not enough Alex Cabot/Stephanie March.

7. CL says:

As long as Stephanie March keeps coming back as Alex Cabot, I’ll keep watching!

• Angie Weldhouse says:

Have you seen Alex Cabot more than five minutes in a couple of episodes. The courtroom scenes are non-existent. They just hired her and Cutter for tiny parts to stop the bloodflow from losing other beloved characters like Stabler, Melinda and Huang. Time to pull the plug on this once great series.

8. pecola says:

On another network, I’d say cut but on NBC…keep it…

9. Joan says:

Even though I watch every week, I voted to cut. This show is way past its prime. In my opinion, Olivia isn’t Olivia without Eliot. Their partnership was the heart and soul of the show.

Kudos to Danny Pino. His Det. Amaro has become my favorite character.

10. Lena120 says:

I say keep it. I may not like everything about it or everyone but overall it’s a good show. I’m surprised by how much I like Danny Pino’s character. When all the other detectives are willing to lock someone up, he’s always the voice of reason. And he’s usually right! I want them to explore more about his wife and her hidden life overseas. Rollins can go though. Don’t like her. She’s a little too eager all the time.

• Jennifer says:

I’m with you on this! I’d really hoped when Stabler left they would transplant Corey Stoll’s TJ from LA version but Damny Pino has been surprisingly great add to show. Rollins I’m not so crazy about but her and ICE-T seem to do ok. Would like to see more of Munch. Keep this show.

11. Steven says:

I don’t miss Stabler one tiny little bit, and I, honestly, I’m still in mourning over the cancellation of the mothership two years ago. I can’t lose SVU now; I just can’t.

• Angie Weldhouse says:

Cut It – It’s gotten so damn slow and boring. All the episodes seemed re-hashed from previous episodes or the other law and orders. Benson has gotten even more self-righteous if possible. Time for NBC to try something new.

12. eekinmycreek says:

Please cut it loose!

13. Laquisha says:

KEEP OR DIE

14. Danny says:

I vote for another season – last week’s emotional episode was proof that the series still has what it takes to make potent, entertaining drama. Mariska Hargitay is still a revelation.

Moreover, can hopelessly put-upon NBC afford to cancel it??

• Angie Weldhouse says:

Sorry but Mariskhka and the character of Benson are getting progressively uninteresting and the woman needs a life. The two new actors are pleasant but bland. The show has lost all of it’s passion and excitement. Cut, cut cut and get something new and exciting in its place.

• emily says:

I do not agree Marisca Hagarty is the main reason i watch the show her acting skills are amazing and she has goten more interesting but i do want stabler back they are the perfect partners.

• Lonzo says:

The ratings are terrible and getting worse as the season progresses. This show hasn’t really been good in years. All the storylines have been done before, better. I’m really tired of Benson too! If anything they should have switched up the whole cast. I think people are just tired of Law and Orders.

15. Lisa Ray says:

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit needs to stay on television, NBC especially. And they need to bring back Law & Order: Criminal Intent. NEW SVU show runner/executive producer Warren Leight has a good head on his shoulder and he’s treating SVU so great, better than Neal Baer did. And Leight has said, if MELONI wants to come back, he’ll gladly write Det. Stabler back in! So everybody needs to track down and hastle Chris Meloni.

But SVU is good without him, especially the last episode that aired. It was probably Mariska’s BEST over the past few seasons! The ONLY reason SVU is down is because NBC is. Why won’t TV Line point out NBC’s other clunkers in the 18-49 demo like: Harry’s Law, Parenthood, Rock Center with Brian Williams, Awake, Community, 30 Rock. SVU does SLIGHTLY better than those shows in the 18-49 age demographic and we NEED shows like SVU on television to show what kind of sick and twisted people we have in this world.

I know rape victims that have spoken up and wished to be heard, ALL BECAUSE they watch Law & Order: SVU and see this guest stars portaying people like themselves. So NBC is going to be thinking LONG & HARD before they cancel Law & Order: SVU! And TV by the Numbers cites SVU as “likely renewed” anyway!

I vote KEEP!

16. I watch the show every week-all the actor`s do wonderful work—no complaint`s their…elliot will always be missed,kudos to danny pino to going on the show.It`s always good to see new actor`s,even if they came off from another show.I really think the show would be missed if it ends-so i hope the show don`t go anywhere.

17. Susan Firth says:

Haven’t watch an episode since Meloni left. Cut it

• icywinter2 says:

Oh like he’s the result of why you don’t like it. Meloni chose to leave the show. Basically you aren’t a fan of the show just his fan..

• tripoli says:

Fact is that the show is just not as good without him. The whole dynamic that made it a good show is gone now. And Benson was barely tolerable with Stabler around. Without him, she’s insufferable.

• Skylar says:

So True! Benson has always been self-righteous but now she’s gotten insufferable. Every episode drags and I’m sick to death of the Olivia show. If you are gonna have new people use them!

• Me says:

Totally agree!

18. Bobby says:

I dont have much to say either way. I dont watch it like i used to

19. Michelle says:

It’s time for SVU to go. Chris Meloni’s character, and acting, made the show interesting for me and now it just bores me to tears. I also don’t agree that his departure was handled with grace, either onscreen or by the showrunner in interviews or on his twitter feed. The show’s writing may have improved from the poor standards in seasons 8-12 but it is just not captivating the way it once was.

• icywinter2 says:

@michelle- No one knew that Meloni was going to leave till after the season 12 finale aired. It was his choice in the matter, him not being there doesn’t make the show bad. You just happened to be his fan not a fan of the show.

• Lena120 says:

“It’s time for SVU to go. Chris Meloni’s character, and acting, made the show interesting for me and now it just bores me to tears.”

I don’t understand this logic. Chris hadn’t had a meaty storyline for a few years, so how was he the only interesting thing for you? They would switch up the partners, one week Olivia with help from Finn, another with Stabler with help from Munch and ever so ofter Stabler and Benson would be together. To be fair, I don’t blame Meloni for leaving because they were giving all the Emmy material to Mariska, but it was HIS decision to leave. Like another poster said, you weren’t really a fan of the show just Meloni.

• Tom says:

I think he was smart to go and try other things. 12 years on a show like this had to be forever. I admire people who take a chance. Good for him. Hargitay should have left too and tried something else but I don’t think she ever will. She’ll ride it to the bitter end now. The glory days of this show are long over. They should cut it now before it gets really bad. The ratings have been terrible this year.

• Jordan says:

Yes, the ratings have been terrible because of NBC’s stupid decision to air Rock Center as a lead-in for SVU… The fact that it gains 3 million viewers from that horrible lead-in is a extreme plus for a 13-year-old veteran on NBC.

• Michelle says:

LOL, I was a fan of the show for 12 years BECAUSE of Stabler. I got hooked on the show because it was interesting, I STAYED with the show because the character was compelling. I think it’s hilarious that many of the people who feel that they are better than Chris Meloni fans say ‘you weren’t a fan of the show then’ are EXACTLY the same people who have pronounced for years that they wouldn’t watch without Hargitay. Such double standards. I tried to watch the show without Stabler and was bored, the ratings nosedive this season shows that it’s far from just a handful of people who feel the same. NBC has very few options and may well cling on to the show for another season, but IMO it’s sad to see the show becoming a poor imitation of its former self.

• tripoli says:

Totally agree. Well said.

• Jordan says:

Have you watched since your precious Meloni left?

Good job generalizing.

• Jordan says:

You just cling to your opinion, then, Michelle. Many people have said that the show has been reinvigorated since Meloni left. Whether you like it or not, the show will most likely be back. People are still watching the show; unfortunately, its lead-in isn’t powerful at all. It’s NBC’s #2 scripted drama series (besides Smash). When the DVR ratings come in, the show usually pulls in a little more than 2 million other viewers.

And yes, you say you were bored but that’s only because you definitely didn’t/don’t have enough open-mindedness to accept the show without Meloni. Watch the show’s last new episode and tell me that it wasn’t interesting. Go ahead.

• Skylar says:

Wow right on Michelle. That totally sums up how I feel too. the ratings are tanking and if people were compelled and interested they would watch no matter what show leads into this one. After 13 years if people still loved it they would know where to find it and when to tune in. I have tried several episodes this year but get bored and tune out. Time to end what was once a great series but now not so much.

20. connie says:

Keep but please bring back Stephanie March please!!!

21. bad kevin says:

Hope SVU gets renewed for maybe one or two seasons until it reaches Season 15 and it hasn’t been the same since Chris Meloni left and now he has a huge Season Five stint on True Blood which debuts in June on HBO.

• icywinter2 says:

It’s not a huge stint, he’s in a few episodes of true blood. Not going to be in the entire season. I don’t even see any difference with him gone or not. I could care less that he left, that was his choice.

• Marti says:

@icywinter2 For someone who doesn’t care that Chris left, it’s strange that that’s the thing you keep mentioning here. Yes, it was Chris’s choice to leave. I was surprised that he signed on two year’s previously when it was obvious that the material was going downhill but I’m glad that he has stretched his wings to do different things. His role in True Blood this season IS supposed to be significant and he has filmed roles in 2 films already this year and has another two lined up to shoot shortly and of course WHAS2 is also supposed to be on the cards. He may not not be raking in the money from the cash cow that SVU was but he is furthering his career by ensuring that he does plenty of different things, which is so important to ensure that you aren’t typecast as an actor on a police procedural.
        Everyone has different reasons for watching any show, my favorite characters were Stabler and then Novak. The show went downhill when they got rid of Casey IMO and they have poorly used Diane Neal this season. The loss of Stabler is just too much for it to recover from. The risk of keeping SVU on for another season is that the ratings are likely to become embarrassingly bad next season and it could end up a laughing stock. I don’t imagine though that the executives at NBC have enough insight to actually see that that is likely.

22. icywinter2 says:

The Show isn’t even on the bubble, on any list. It’s been showing looking good/ safe. I think the writer of this article didn’t do their research well. NBC execs are considering to renew it and Mariska said that she’ll be back for another season

23. Samara says:

I haven’t watched it in a while. Used to love Benson and Stabler though. They are sort of iconic cop partners to me. Don’t know if I’ll ever watch it again, and most shows never get better with age (after about six or seven years in) they just decline. I know Stabler’s gone now and that saddens me a bit. There are always exceptions to the rule and if people still love it and it it’s still putting out high quality work then for the people who still watch it and love it, I hope it stays on.

24. Gem says:

It is SO time for this show to be over. Cut it and allow NBC an opportunity to add something new to their dying network.

25. Nick says:

I don’t watch it, but think it should be renewed for 3 reasons: it’s one of NBC’s highest rated scripted shows, the longest running show currently on broadcast tv, & it’s the last Law & Order series running

26. kate says:

lol, like NBC has anything better to put in its place. but honestly, they’re really lacking in the courtroom department this season. I miss seeing Munch, Cabot, Novak, etc… they handled Stabler’s exit well, but they need to make it a more balanced show again. I thought we’d get that more with Meloni’s departure, but it’s been anything but more balanced.

27. Theresa says:

Keep but please get rid of Ice-T’s new partner.

28. Rob Horine says:

Cut. And I absolutly LOVE Mariska. But it’s getting creamed by the other two nets and even some nights by the local Fox affiliate’s 10 o’clock news.

Time for Mariska to find new grounds. Any show she lands on will be a hit.

29. connie says:

I also agree please get rid of ice-t’s new partner. Give us more Munch. I have seen him once or twice this season. It does need more balance in the courtroom. I like Cabot or Novack are needed back stat!

30. icywinter2 says:

This article is nonsense and very untrue, and is just a rude rant on the show. Excetive Producer Warren Leigh just tweeted that SVU is not going anywhere.

31. WEA says:

The show needs to stay at least for one or two seasons. I don’t watch anything else and, I hate to admit this, it’s become my life right lol (no life) Also, I agree with others, Munch, Alex, and Casey need to have more screen time. The new detectives I like especially Danny Pino’s character, Nick Amaro. I don’t understand all the on Rollins. She’s fine.

32. James says:

The show was great because it was half cop and half court. Changing that was the first mistake. The other mistake was having one new episode then five reruns then a new episode. You can figure out why the ratings dropped…

33. Samantha says:

This show has helped ALOT of people and i think we should keep it!! b/c it is a really amazing show! i mean this show inspired me to become a SVU detective to help people in real life with these problems so lets just keep the show!! PLZ!!!!!!!!!

• Buffy says:

I’m on the other end.I’,m getting my masters in clinical psychology and getting certified to work with sexual assault victims.The show inspired me to go on that psychology track.I wanted to be a detective but I have severe asthma and I don’t think I would make it through the academy.

34. Buffy says:

SVU is the only show I watch on NBC.I love it!!! To cancel it now would suck because we would not get a real farewell.I had that happen to one of my other favorite shows and it just sucked.Mariska,Ice,and Belzer are why I watch.They are amazingly talented and Mariska is just a blessing to the show.She has had alot of emmy worthy episodes this season.I would also love to see Stabler come back for a finale…I’m an EO fan…lol

35. Shawn says:

As a long time SVU fan, it’s time for it to go. SVU relied on the chemistry that Mariska and Chris had, so with Chris gone, it’s taken quite a hit. Additionally, the writing for since season 9 has been terrible, with season 12 elevating it to new heights of god-awful. Let it die with a shred of dignity left.

36. SVU will be renewed. For sadness Meloni fans who want their failure. The writing is excellent this year. The ratings dropped because Meloni fans abandoned the series. However, over time, and convincing performance of Danny pin, the series takes its place. Although I like the Meloni, do not care about his departure. Mariska Hargitay is amazing (and beautiful) and see it is a joy forever. Those black eyes …

I do not understand why fans are so angry Meloni with his departure. He himself wanted to leave. Maybe he will star in a great movie or starring in a hit series. That’s what I desire it.

And today, I’m sure of one thing: Mariska Hargitay is a great human figure. She’s a dedicated and faithful to his work. He renewed his contract with no increase and made it a mission. For her, money is not everything. I admire your loyalty to your company and your ideal.

With the departure of Meloni series fell in the rankings. Not the least doubt. If Mariska had left, the series would have gone.

37. J.M. Orton says:

SVU Showrunner/executive producer: Warren Leight: (via Twitter: @warrenleightTV): “Last week SVU improved on lead in by more than 300%. And we were nbc’s 2nd highest rated scripted show. Breathe. Reporters who fail to cite our lead in #s when discussing our ratings are Guilty of #FailuretoContextualize.” So Meg Masters/TV Line basically are lighting a fire under Law & Order: SVU for their own personal enjoyment. Even TV by the Numbers has SVU under “likely renewed”, I’m not too worried and not going to fall for TV Line’s attempts to do so.

• Jordan says:

Love you for posting this, lol.

• Jordan says:

Leight makes a very good point: The fact that Megan Masters “failed to cite” Rock Center’s ratings was a big mistake.

• I also like the Meloni. I think he made ​​a great duo with Mariska. The problem is that he does not want to stay in SVU. And if you’re a fan, let it go. It’s no use, he will not return. It will be a great film actor. He is talented.

• Skylar says:

Its still millions less watching and loses its time slot every single week. He can blame Rock Center but people would tune in if they still loved the show. It’s still getting under a 2 share everyweek. On any other network it would have been cancelled.

38. I agree that it should stay, if only to have CM return for the series finale! I love SVU, and the show is still great, but not AS great without him. It’s just a fact.

39. May says:

No way! Of all the shows I watch, this is the last one I thought it’d be on the bubble. Definitely keep!

40. Rolfe says:

I’m not a fan, but I predict they keep it. What else does NBC have? Also what’s wrong with making 22 more episodes that will do extremely well in syndication?

41. mia says:

the problem I’m going to have with all these bubble shows is that I’m probably going to vote ‘keep’ for each one. While I do have a knack for loving shows that are always at risk of being cancelled, even if its a show I DONT watch, I know there are people out there who love it and I’d hate for them to have to lose something they enjoy watching.

So as long as the show doesn’t offend me, I’ll probably vote ‘keep’ for most of these.

And my Mom really likes SVU so she’d be bummed if it went off air. And the addition of Harry Connick Jr was a great idea, she just loves him

42. Kat Hilellis says:

I really love this show, even without Stabler, and in my opinion the episodes are getting better. The show has done a great job with the new detectives and the season has become really interesting. While I do like the other SVU seasons more, theres no real reason why SVU should be cut!! Definitely keep this show!!!

43. robinepowell says:

I’d be very surprised if SVU was cancelled after 13 seasons. It may have enough juice left for a 14th and final season. ;)

44. jane says:

Let it die already. Can’t stand the Benson character. She just keeps getting worse each season.

45. Mandy says:

It just isn’t the same without Chris Meloni’s Stabler. He is missed in every episode I have seen.

46. Shana says:

I voted keep because I need a weekly Law and Order fix but honestly, the storylines have run their course, a lot of the episodes are similar to past episodes and some are just WAY out there and bizarre (and this coming from someone who has watched since the beginning). I’m not sure why they cut down on courtroom scenes? Novak and Cabot were awesome and are being done a disservice. Why was Huang let go? miss him too
    I miss the original Law and Order…cancel svu and bring that back!

47. Brian J says:

I happen to think it will be renewed–it’s not doing that much worse that any other drama series at the network, and given that the network owns it, cranking out one more season means more one stack of episodes that NBC Universal can sell–but I would not at all be surprised to see if shipped to midseason. But unless it seems some sort of miraculous growth in the ratings, I wouldn’t be surprised to see next season be its last.

I hope NBC sees a turnaround next season, but if it’s STILL in need of something big after another dismal year, or if the network executives just want to see revive a storied franchise, they should try to bring back the original. If the focus were not just on sex crimes and other bizarre stuff, it would seem fresher. And even if it’s schedule is very strong after next season, it’s never a bad idea to have one more strong show on its lineup.

In fact, I am calling it: within three years tops, the original “Law & Order” will be back, although with a new cast, but with the same style.

48. maggie says:

They need to get rid of SVU and bring back the original Law & Order.

49. jesse says:

Keep. It’s still one of the best crime procedurals on tv. The ratings are lower because it’s NBC. They’d be crazy to cancel it since nothing else they have works, except The Voice.