Grey's Anatomy Forecast: Will Lexie Lose Mark for Good? And Who Fails Their Boards?

ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy wasn’t kidding when they titled the May 3 episode “Let The Bad Times Roll.”

In the second May sweeps outing for the veteran medical drama, “The residents agonize over their oral boards, reliving every answer they gave during their exams,” reads ABC’s official synopsis. (More on that in a moment.) Meanwhile, “Arizona’s close childhood friend comes to Seattle Grace for medical help” (OK….) “and the doctors work on a patient who is missing one third of his skull” (cool!).

Season Finale Spoilers: Scoop on 52 Big Finishes (Including Grey’s Anatomy)

But more critically, there’s this: “Julia asks Mark to start a family with her.”

And this: “Catherine tells Richard that one of his residents has failed.”

Now that we have armed you with those two major teases, how do you think things will play out? Vote below and explain your speculation in Comments!

1. slizabeth says:

I think Jackson fails. There’s still drama because of his family’s disappointment, but none of our big three fails. April might fail, but it would have fewer implications.

• Vicke Lynne says:

I think its Meredeth because Ellen Pompeo did not sign a new contract and is leaving the show.

• Giac says:

That’s not true.
        Nobody has signed a new contract yet, and Ellen never said she was leaving the show.
        She said that she didn’t know if she was gonna be back because at the time, nobody had asked her to renew her contract. After some moron started to spread word that she was leaving, she said that the rumors were not true and that, if asked, she’d gladly be back.
        So no, not Meredith..

2. CM says:

Looking forward to Arizona having a storyline that’s actually about her.

3. Elena says:

More Avery-Lexi, PLEASE.

4. Kendall says:

Mark will dump Julia and want to get back with Lexie, but Lexie obviously won’t want him anymore since he’ll no longer be unobtainable. I figure they’ll manage to extend this annoying storyline — about a relationship that ended ages ago and isn’t even remotely appealing anymore — in the most annoying way possible.

If Catherine knows who failed, does that mean it’s Jackson?

• shutuprob says:

My guess is that Mark will take some time to think about Julia’s offer, during which time, either Callie or Arizona or both (or even Jackson or all three, or even McDreamyhair or all four) will knock him upside the head, Jethro Gibbs-style, about how Lexie has been crushing on him again lately. While this revelation makes him realize that there’s not enough of a spark between him and Julia to go to that next step, which results in their breaking up, he and Lexie don’t have a big, hug-it-out reconciliation scene, either. Instead, in the elevator, they simultaneously ask each other out on a date.

5. Jenn says:

What’s up with the diss on Arizona’s friend needing medical assistance? That’s the story that I’m most excited about as Calzona have been majorly backburnered all season and it appears Callie’s going to be his doc…

• Jessica says:

Totally agree! There are a lot of Callie/Arizona fans who are looking forward to this storyline. Not only because it gives us more insight into Arizona as a character, but it could be a nice moment for Callie to help Arizona through something tragic. It’s been nice to see them happy, but Calle & Arizona have not had a storyline this season and I’ll take what I can get.

• Gem says:

Yup, I’m pretty excited for this! Although fairly sure that he’s doomed and JCap will end up making me cry :(

• Lex says:

Not everyone cares about C/A or Arizona and Calle for that fact. I wish they both leave,

6. Sam says:

Don’e care about Mexie, never liked them. Lexie and Jackson were a better match.

I hope none of the fab 3 will fail.

• Effy says:

Yeah it was a blast watching him look stupid going out with a girl who was basically eye sexing Mark ever chance she got. I couldn’t believe how pathetic Jackson looked. Good times.

7. Jen says:

I don’t care about Mark and Lexie! Lexie is one of the most boring and annoying characters on the show (aside from April, Callie, and Jackson) and Mark is only tolerable with comical dialog on the show…he proved that with last week’s episode!

I also really don’t care who fails the boards because we all know even if they fail, that it will all get worked out for them anyway unless the character who fails is leaving the show. The way I see it there is not much drama there!

I love Derek and Meredith as a married couple and they are the only reason I watch this show and love it so much! A couple of other writers have talked to Shonda about the finale and I sense that doom and gloom is coming for Derek and Meredith in the finale and I do not like it one bit…especially in a contract year for the original actors! So, all I want to know is if Patrick Dempsey and Ellen Pompeo are coming back next season and what will happen to Derek and Meredith in this finale! All I care about is them coming back so Derek and Meredith can get their happy ending as Shonda promised…if they do not come back next season I am DONE with Grey’s forever!

• MD says:

I totally agree with you. That’s all I care about and want to know.

• Gladys says:

Totally agree with you! I only care about Meredith and Derek. I only want to know what will happen in case Patrick or Ellen both leave or leave separately because that mean a doom and gloom ending for them and if that’s it, then I want to know so I can be done with this show forever too. Hope something is worked out so we can have a happy ending for MerDer, or as happy as it can be in Shondaland a least…so I don’t feel as I wasted 7/8 years of my life.

And yeah, Lexie/Mark! Most yawning couple in the history of Grey’s Anatomy. Even intern Steve and Megan were more interesting….

• MerDerLove4life says:

I agree on EVERYTHING you said. Shonda should focus on the original characters and mostly on Mer and Der instead of creating “drama” around annoying Lexie because otherwise I’m done watching.

• Babygate says:

Out of curiosity, the entire season has been focused on ‘the originals’. This is not enough? How much more ‘focused’ can the show get? Mer is at the center of every important case, she got the hubby and the baby and now with the Torres method ‘inside her’, she’s playing teacher to the other residents, how much more prominent can she be? And Cristina has been front and center since, well, forever it seems. Last year the entire first season was focused on her PTSD. This season it has been about the baby. In a cast of 14 there are people characters that get a minute or two of screentime while ‘the originals’ are almost in every scene. Yet, it seems like it’s not enough. I don’t get it…

• gladluvgrey says:

As it should be considering this might be their last season. Sadly enough, even if the ‘originals’ seems to have a prominence, the storylines hadn’t been all that much compelling or satisfying (at least not in the second half of the season and certainly that can be blamed in the not knowing who’s coming or not back) but still….just want to say that even if all the characters should have their fair share of screentime, please don’t waste it on Mark and Lexie as a couple, they are just a snorefest! I can even prefer Calzona! And please give poor Alex a storyline that don’t involve a crazy or almost crazy gal. Of course…I hope this is not the last I see of Meredith, Derek and baby Zola.

• Anonymous says:

Derek will certainly be back(if you don’t believe me check Wikipedia). Personally, I hope they are going to have a baby of their own-apart from Zola, of course-.

8. scoboot says:

I think that Cristina will ace the boards, much to everyone’s (including herself) surprise.

9. ggny says:

A person failing the boards is a lame storyline…it just like George failing his intern exam

also i think it might be Meredith that fails

10. surprised jerk says:

I can’t believe Karev has the lowest votes to fail the boards. Lower than Meredith!

I picked Christina because she kinda didn’t study. I hear that’s important.

11. Taylor says:

I think it would be funny if Cristina is the one who fails the boards since she’s driven mainly by her career as a doctor.

12. Lindsey says:

“Catherine tells Richard that one of his residents has failed.”
    How would/dose she find out??….. ‘His’ makes me think of Alex, Mer and Cristina…

Any one of them could fail. I don’t think it’s going to be Cristina (She could find out she failed when they get results back, But I don’t think she’s the person they are talking about here…) Alex or maybe Avery..Just because its his mom who tells him..But Avery is not one who wants his family to know he failed, can’t see him calling her saying, hey mom i failed…So my guess is poor Alex… :( which makes me sad..

• yretfar says:

I think that Catherine is one of the examiners so she will find out who has failed because she has been on the interveiw panel for one of them – of heard it from one of the other examiners. I don’t think it will be Jackson because I think that Catherine will be giving the heads up to Richard when perhaps she shouldn’t. I agree that I can’t see Jackson telling his mom if he had failed before he told people and work and made a back up plan.

13. Jen says:

I don’t understand why Mark talks about his relationship with Julia but they never actually SHOW anything! Takes away most of the impact, doesn’t it? I think I’ve seen her twice on the show. What’s the point?

• Christina says:

Their relationship isn’t shown, because it’s insignificant. It’s still about Mark/Lexie, not Mark/Julia. My guess is that Mark and Julia break up during the sweeps.

• cjeffery7 says:

they just need to bring this everlasting romantic plot line to a close. either they will get together, or they will never get together. i like mark and lexie but let’s just end the drama already! lexie also needs some friends this season.

• foreign cusine pun making jerk says:

Read your post. “let’s just end the drama already!” is exactly what they’re trying to avoid. They don’t have any un together pairings on the show right now so they need Mexie to carry the whole burrito.

• cjeffery7 says:

oh i totally understand the reason why they are dragging it out, and it is admittedly a sound plotting principle, but its been like 3 years and i’ve never been convinced of any other relationship they’ve been in. they finally let meredith and derek be together, sort of the same with callie and arizona (though that’s new so they could still throw a wrench in it), just add a third solid relationship and give april or jackson more storylines. i think it’s also time to bring in a few new faces to stir the pot.

• Effy says:

that is the point. She’s a nobody and not one person care about her.

• Fanny says:

The point is to not have viewers grow attached to her and her couple with Mark. That’s why she’s so irrelevant as a person, her only purpose is to be in the way of Mark/Lexie. Mark is with “someone”, Lexie can go brood in a dark corner for a few episodes. End of story.

14. KSM says:

It would be way too obvious for Christina to fail. There’s no way it is her. I guess the most shocking would be Meredith failing after she teaches everyone, but that just sounds lame, so I don’t think they will go that way. That’s why I think it might be Jackson – all of the family drama of Meredith, plus he is someone who is definitely still under contract, so he’ll still be around next year no matter what happens at the negotiating table.

15. sarah says:

Christina will fail the boards. Lexie will finally tell Mark how she feels, I am sure she tell Mark to not have a baby with Julia but to have one with her instead!

16. Emmits says:

I feel like the easy way out is to have Kepner fail the boards since she’s been in the series so little this year thanks to SD’s pregnancy and she seems like the one they’d debbie downer into a storyline. Jackson seems safe since he’s family’s so prestigious, but they’ve kind of given him the George/screw-up role and he was mainly focusing on plastics this year as opposed to something where he gets a ton of variety/internal organ work.

• yretfar says:

Perhaps April will fail and then have no alternative but to redo her fifth year at Seatle Grace. I am sure that Jackson will take a job with Mark at Seatle Grace and after what she said just before the exam it will be a real interesting story line between her and Jackson if he feels terrible and blames himself that she failed and perhaps she will blame him too so there can be lots of tension to build up to them getting together. I’d like to see them as a couple.

17. Gem says:

I’m more interested in the Arizona/old friend storyline, to be honest. Way more interesting than the inevitability of how the Mark/Julia storyline is going to end. And it’s about time that Arizona got a storyline about her.

18. lerato says:

I love Lexie and Mark asa couple I definetly hope they end up together, besides what’s the point of denying the invetable.

19. Effy says:

I couldn’t care less about what worthless Arizona has nor do i care about anyone else. Mark and Lexie need to get back together, they are the only ones i watch for. Arizona getting a SL over Lexie is just rich. Can she please go away and she can take Callie and her illegitimate Daughter with her.

20. Rob says:

I think it’ll be Alex – the synopsis on Wikipedia says Alex is worried about Tommy whilst he’s away taking his boards, I imagine that will affect him. I can’t imagine it being Christina – too obvious, Meredith – too ridiculous after all she is prepping everyone, Avery – wouldn’t his mother be rather upset that he failed – rather than just telling Richard. April – she’s way too organised and what would that change really? They’ve dramatically reduced her role while she’s been on pregnant – unless this leads into some further plot line.

• Billie says:

Solid logic, but my money is on April failing. Everyone on the show knows that Kepner is a virgin. B/c of that, I don’t see any of the available male characters on the show beginning a relationship with her. So I feel like they’ve kinda backed themselves into a corner for giving her storylines b/c I don’t see her with any potential romantic partner. (When they tried it with Stark… that was just weird).
      My next guess would probably be Cristina. I would think it’s a bit obvious too, given that her closing line of the last episode was “I’m gonna fail my boards” but I think of all the possibilities, Cristina failing would be the best story line. It was already reported on this site that the most interest from other hospitals for all of the residents has been for Cristina, and given her and Owen’s marriage at the moment, I could see her wanting to leave SGMW. If she failed the boards though, and she was forced to stay in Seattle, she’d blame Owen for sure and be stuck working with him. I could see them going down that track. Plus I highly doubt Cristina’s ever failed anything before so basically I think she’d garner the most interesting SL out of a boards failing.

• Russ says:

I chose April too because she lack of a story this season due to Sarah Drew’s pregnancy. I don’t think it would be Cristina given all the crap she has been dumped with this season it would just be even more depressed Cristina next season. and i don’t like her i want slightly evil funny im smart than you all Cristina back.

• Babygate says:

That makes sense. Besides, he’s kind of the worst of the them all when it comes to relating to the patients, and he even told Arizona that he didn’t deserve the fellowship AND I’ve got a feeling that he’s the one that’s going to be running late thus missing some parts of the boards. Besides, of the original residents, my money is on Justin definitely staying on the show so if he fails, they can somehow fix it next season.

• scarlet says:

Maybe, but the show has historically tried to go for the surprise factor in stories like this – George failing the earlier boards after Meredith spent that whole episode being a basketcase, for example. So if Alex is a disaster at his boards, then that actually points me away from him as a likely candidate, perversely enough. Idk, I think it’ll be Jackson. He’d be the most interesting candidate, dramawise.

21. juan says:

Come on Lexie and Mark, just get back together. Also hope none of the awesome three actually fail. I think its actually jackson since he has been doing stuff for mark and all so not as much time to study

22. Cassandra says:

I guess I’m the only one who loves Lexie. I love that Lexie and Mark are the comedic relief of this show and my favorite couple. I don’t know how things could work for them but I don’t want to see Mark with some lame character that we never see. He deserves more than that.

• Jenn says:

Why do mark and lexie have to be down graded to Comedic relief of the show? let that be someone else. Both Eric and Chyler need to become a pairing with a real Story.

• Babygate says:

You are not the only one. Lexie happens to be one of my favorite characters and I think that she has been unfairly and terribly under-utilized this season. They have turned her into a whinny and irrelevant cartoon of a person and I don’t like it. This entire season they just had her break up with Jackson for apparently no reason because she’s not even with Mark now. I’m just hoping that after the dust settles with whoever is left for next season, the writers will finally give her a significant storyline and a more prominent role.

23. Beth says:

Cannot stand Mark and Lexie together and dread the time where they get back together…

24. tess says:

As long as Meredith, Cristina and Alex ace their boards, I’ll be happy. I’d love to see Avery and April fail and just go away. They add nothing to the show.
    I’ve always hated Mark/Lexie together and can’t believe they writers are trying to re-warm these leftovers yet again. This is beyond boring. Could not care less about AZ, either. Why waste time on these side shows when core characters might be wrapping up their stories.

25. dude says:

With the glacial pace they’re taking this Mark/Lexie thing, I’ll be shocked if Lexie tells Mark her feelings a moment before the series finale. Seriously, what is she afraid of? It’s not like he has any more lesbian friends to impregnate.

26. MelindaB says:

I love that after 2 years not together EVERYONE knows Mark and Lexie are endgame. Well deserved. Mark has only ever loved her and the bitterness and people scared via their own exships makes me laugh! Doesn’t Avery point Mark to Lexie too? How is that possible if Mark never finds out? People not using their heads or wanting to!

27. Babygate says:

I have finally become ambivalent towards Mark/Lexie because of how ridiculously long it has taken to move this forward. I am more excited about the Arizona storyline because of how little we know about her. I’m hoping this arc will give us some substantial interaction and screentime since this season Callie/Arizona have been treated as secondary characters used more for comedic relief than anything else. The Valentine’s Day episode was so hyped up in terms of Callie’s ‘big surprise’ and people tuned in and ultimately we got about 3 minutes of screen time and the big reveal was a trailer (seriously?). So I’m looking forward to more a meaningful development in their story because even the issue with Arizona’s exes was just played for laughs rather than moving any story forward.

• Barbara says:

I agree with you hope the Calzona storyline..is featured with a lot of screen time..Both Callie and Arizona have not been featured enough this year.

28. Isabel says:

I don’t think it’ll be Alex since he failed the other exam after Med School and before they started their internship. My guess would be April since she’s kind of easily flustered. It is an oral exam, not a written test. In I Saw What I Saw, we know that Cristina doesn’t get flustered easily. Well, that was before the trauma of the shooting. Avery always had a confidence problem. Mer is just cool now that she has the Torres method of studying. So I’d guess April.

29. kelly says:

I hope that Meredith is the one who fails. Never liked this character.

30. Sydney says:

First poll (that I noticed) that I’ve been able to do on my iPhone! Thank you tvline!!!

I love mark and lexie but the world just seems to be against them :(

31. IMHO says:

Didn’t they say right at the beginning that only two would make it through? That means that it should be one of Alex, Christina or Meridith who fails. As long as whoever it is gets to try again. As for Mark and Lexie, maybe the writers are waiting to find out the fate of Private Practice first! Though moving in with the ‘wrong person’ has never stopped people in the past.

32. kaytie says:

i have no idea wha twil happen between julia and mark after all mark wont go for that and i have no idea yet who will fail the oral board exam

33. Alicia L. says:

I just want Mark and Lexie back together I don’t really care about how it happens. I think almost anyone could fail their boards! I don’t think it will be Meredith because of the Torres method, but it could be anyone because they have all cracked under pressure at least once.

34. It could either be Kepner or Avery. Meredith can not fail since she’s learned the Torres method. Yang is too smart to fail. I think the writers are using Alex’s passing of the exam as a shocker.

35. Jane says:

Does this mean we have to endure another 3 weeks of reruns? I’ve always been a big fan of GA and watched every episode, but this year the constant reruns have gotten to me. And the whole Christina/ Owen mess seems contrived. Either break them up for good or let them be, but stop destroying the characters. Owen doesn’t seem like the type to cheat with a random stranger. And Christina would have told him to hit the road, not cry about him all day in a bathroom. When did she become Meredith and Izzie? I never liked them together anyway. A Christina/ Jackson paring would be nice.

36. Ethan says:

God, Mark and Lexie sucks as a couple and they need to be apart as much as Owen and Cristina. It doesn’t help that Eric Dane is the single worst actor in the whole cast. He is so lucky to land this role where he doesn’t need to do much and just walk around.

37. Ed says:

I think it’s going to be April who fails, if it’s one thing that Shonda likes to do is shock people, and honestly most of us would expect it to be Alex, and April failing would be a total shock.

• soxfan says:

Shonda loves nothing more than to shock us. That is why, if she intends to do that, who better to fail the boards than Cristina? In my opinion, anyone else, really would not be a shock – only Cristina.

38. Jen says:

I love Mark and Lexie and can’t wait for them to get back together! Hopefully either Lexie finally spills the beans to him about her true feelings or he realizes that he doesn’t want to take that next step with Julia and instead wants Lexie back.

39. Dew says:

I’m obviously watching a different show also called “Grey’s Anatomy”. Personally, I couldn’t possibly care less about Grey or Shepard. They bore me. Let the actors leave the show allowing their characters to live happily ever after and raise their daughter, I just don’t want to watch that paint dry.

Comparatively, I do like Kepner, Avery, Karev, et al. I want to see Mark continue to grow and change in conjunction with Callie and Arizona as a new family. I’d like to see Jackson and April find someone to love (possibly each other). It’s time for Karev and Lexie to grow up and I want to see that, too. These characters still have stories that should be told, unlike the eponymous Grey and Shepard who have nothing left to do except look at paint samples.

40. hannah says:

I would personally love to see more of a stroyline between Jackson April and Alex. i feel like they’ve been kept under the rug all season. However, I do think that in terms of failing the boards it will be either Christina or Jackson. I don’t really care about lexie or sloan but I do know that they will eventually end up together…

41. Martyna says:

Mark would start new family with Addison.

• Ale says:

Ahha. Addison is already starting a new family with Jake! Love them together!
      Mark/Lexie thing has become booooring -.-
      I love Mer&Der, they ARE the show, without them it would not be GA anymore.
      Jakson and April together, and Alex with his patient (i dont remember the name :S) with a baby.

42. Abby says:

Omg I want lexie and mark together! :) I’ve been waiting for them to get back together ever since the Christmas episode….. Lexie is my favorite character and as for who fails the boards…. I dont really care as long as I have my Slexie ;) but if I had to guess it would be April cause shes kind of pointless…. I’m sorry but she is.

43. MaggieM says:

There are sides for 4 of the doctors-the first one is totally about Cristina-she is the one with the arrogant behavior and her interview will end 20 minutes earlier.the second one is Meredith with the medical crisis,the third is Kepner-she is nervous and always freaks out under pressure and the forth one is about Alex,who is running late for the boards.The side for the 5th doctor is missing,i.e Avery.That makes me think that he’ll be the one to fail. Yang is a cowboy,she never fails, only in the relationship department she is a total failure.It makes much more sense to me that Cristina,Mer and Alex will pass the boards,because if the actors don’t sing up for S9 , their characters will be send to work who knows where and that will give a proper closure.And all the crisis they are setting up for the doctors is to distract us from the obvious failure,in this case Avery.And Cathrine telling Richard that one of the residents fails,it doesn’t mean that she knows exactly who the resident is,the woman surely has connections in the exam board committee.As for Slexie,I think there will be a dramatic in a very Grey’s Anatomy fashion reunion.I’m really looking forward to Arizona’s SL

44. JBS says:

I may be over-thinking this, but it specifically says that “Catherine tells Richard that one of his residents has failed.” Now when I read that, I think of one of the original 3, not April & Jackson, so I think it’ll be either Meredith, Cristina or Alex who fails.
    As to my specific guess, I’m going to say Cristina because she’s had a rough year & it’ll culminate with her failing.

45. Presli says:

What if Meredith’s “Grey Method” caused all of them to fail just so they could stay together for another season? It’s highly unlikely but what if;)

46. Ellis says:

I too will be dissapointed if Cristina is the resident who fails. They’ve made such a big deal out of her being courted by rival hospitals that it would feel like way too much of a setup to turn around and have her fail, as well as a contrived way to keep her around in the face of all the turmoil in her personal life.

I actually wouldn’t be surprised if someone failed the boards on PURPOSE. Meredith is about to finally see the dream house Derek has been building all this time, and they’ve already hinted at her feeling conflicted over wanting to interview other places and still keep the family together in Seattle. My guess is she tanks the boards in order to not have to make the decision.

47. Kendra says:

I think Christiana fails she is such a robot that if the examiners change it up on her she won’t know how to act plus everyone expects her to pass

48. tati says:

i think merediths preggersssssssssss!!!

49. Emily Mock says:

So, if it’s Jackson’s mother that tells Richard about the Doc that fails, do we really think it could be Jackson? I mean, maybe it would be, and then she’d be crushed. Maybe they don’t give out that info. It’s probably the most obvious, Alex.

50. yretfar says:

I think Meredith will pass – if her and Derek are leaving the show I bet she will take that job in Boston and he will go with her. I can’t see them breaking up. I think that Christina will fail – she was really cocky about all the jobs she had been offered and they were all meant to be at amazing hospitals and she said she would definitely take one of them – perhaps then she will subconsciously fail on purpose so that she has “no choice” but to stay at Seatle Grace to redo her final year so that the Christiana and Owen storyline can continue. I hope so anyway! All that said you never can predict what might happen on Greys! I also hope that Jackson and April get together properly. And I definitely hope Mark and Lexie get back together for good – if Meredith and Derek are leaving I hope that Mark and Lexie will fall into their place as the central couple in the show.