SNL Drafts Eli Manning, Welcomes Back Rihanna

NFL quarterback Eli Manning, who led the New York Giants to a Super Bowl win this past February, will — wait for it — tackle his first Saturday Night Live hosting gig on May 5, the NBC sketch show announced during this weekend’s telecast.

Manning’s only previous SNL appearance was in 2007, as an audience member when his big brother and fellow NFL QB Peyton — who is now with the Denver Broncos — hosted.

Rihanna will serve as SNL‘s musical guest for a third time during Eli’s debut. The five-time Grammy Award winner last rocked Studio 8H in October 2010, alongside host Jon Hamm. Should we count on a third “Shy Ronnie” digital short from her and Andy Samberg?

What do you think, SNL and/or NFL fans? Pro athlete hosts tend to either agonizingly crater or pleasantly surprise — where do you predict the younger Manning will land on the spectrum?

Comments (17)

• As I recall, Peyton was pretty funny. Hopefully, it runs in the family. I’ll watch Rihanna do anything (except getting beaten up by her poor taste in men).

Comment by TV Gord – April 14, 2012 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG!! My MVP hubby is gonna kill it on SNL. SO EXCITED!

Comment by Allycat209 – April 14, 2012 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could not be more excited!! Any chance to see Eli on my screen. Count me in!

Comment by Ashley – April 14, 2012 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not excited for either Eli or Rihanna. But josh brolin is hilarious!

Comment by leigh – April 14, 2012 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope we get another Shy Ronnie & Rihanna sketch. I’ve loved the previous 2.

Comment by Chance – April 14, 2012 11:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! I would like to see Rihanna host the show but happy with a Shy Ronnie.

Comment by Russ – April 15, 2012 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a fellow Eli I can only hope the best for him :)

Also, YES to a shy ronnie sketch!

Comment by Eli – April 15, 2012 01:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like Eli and Rihanna is so OVERRATED!!

Comment by Josh – April 15, 2012 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eli’s pretty funny in interviews, in that understated, almost sarcastic, subtle way. He’s got the basis to be a great host, I just think they’ll need to bring out his “energy”.

Comment by ME!!!!! – April 15, 2012 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah Eli! Such a terrific athelete in all sense of the words. Now only is he a stellar QB but he’s humble and a great example to boot.

Boo Rhianna. Not only is her music overproduced, but she’s a a giant moron.

Comment by Josh – April 15, 2012 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why does tv insist that because a proathlete can be funny and charming during an interview they need to host this show? Lorne, did you learn nothing from Barkley?

Comment by Jennifer – April 15, 2012 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I guess he learned something from Peyton, who was very good as a host.

Comment by suzi – April 15, 2012 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Barkley is different, he’s too desperate to get his former glory back and it shows

Comment by Jonah – April 21, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait to see Eli host. I loved Peyton’s episode, hopefully Eli’s will be as memorable.

Comment by Liz – April 15, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could not be more excited that Eli Manning will be on my tv in May!!!!!

Comment by Lucky – April 16, 2012 03:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the Shy Ronnie sketches, so I’m hoping for #3.
    Rihanna is awesome and it’s nice to see her come back.
    Eli, I think he is a great quarterback, but I don’t think he has the personality to be as funny as Peyton, but I would love to see him prove me wrong.

Comment by Jonah – April 21, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post