Ratings: Grimm Gains, Fringe Dips Back to Low, The Finder Falls Again

Even with its two cop shows on the bench, CBS led in total audience this Friday (and tied ABC for the demo win), thanks to its broadcast of ACM Presents: Lionel Richie & Friends in Concert, which averaged 7.7 million viewers and thus trounced all comers in the 9 and 10 o’clock hours.

Undercover Boss (7 mil/1.7) meanwhile scored the night’s best 18-49 numbers despite dipping a tenth week-to-week.

Exclusive: Fringe Stars Talk Finale (‘We Shot Two Endings’), Drop Clue About Season 5 Storyline

Among genre-TV fare, Grimm was up 11 and 23 percent, delivering 5 million total viewers and a 1.6 rating, while Fringe (2.9 mil/0.9) dipped 4 percent and a tenth, returning to its series-low demo. Friday the 13th, indeed.

In other sad news for Fox, The Finder (3.37 mil/0.9) fell double digits to hit new series lows.

What were you tuned into this Friday? Or were you trapped in a Cabin in the Woods?

1. Sigh. This Fringe news is so depressing

2. Abigail says:

It’s too bad — The Finder is pretty much doomed at this point, but I think’s a really cute show. I’d have loved to see it get another season.

3. Lizzie says:

I am very suspicious that TV Line has known Fringe’s fate when it was changed to ‘a sure thing’.
    Any hint, please, to save us from the killing tension?

• Qr says:

I believe I read from somewhere on this site that it was due to other Fox shows also doing badly, eg: alcatraz, terra nova etc. so perhaps it’d make more sense to renew Fringe for another season

• valezza says:

There is no point in renewing a show that doesn’t make money. Simple as that. With Fringe cancellation Fox won’t lose anything at all, since there is nothing left to lose.

• Ty says:

It might have something to do with the rise of tv streaming from places lie netflix and hulu. TV is their new money maker that keeps subscribers, and apparently, unlike live tv, serials are the gold standard on sites like netflix since you can view multiple episodes in a series. I think the CW network was losing money even with well received serials like the vampire diaries but the netflix deal put them into the black.

If this is true for fox and fringe this is great news since they would have added incentives to keep serial heavy shows like a fringe or even a firefly going (too late for the last, but if it came out in this age it might still be alive).

• tvdiva says:

Fringe being cancelled is not a done deal yet. The two studios are discussion options – i.e., a shortened season 5, budget costs, syndication, etc. Fringe producers were proactive and filmed two season 4 endings. One ending leads to a season 5. The other is a series finale ending. For syndication network buyers want 100 episodes and seasons 1-4 bring the total to 83. So that would mean at least 17 more episodes. All I want is for the Fringe writers to tie up as many open ended questions as they can for the viewers who faithfully supported them the last four years. If that is the last episode of season 4, a short season 5 or a miniseries – whatever works. Fans deserve closure.

• crimtv says:

Actually the borderline for syndication is actually 4 seasons and 88 episodes, not 83. Fringe will have 87 at the end of the season, just 1 away. So a possible 13 episode fifth and final season would bring the show to it’s 100 episode mark.

• bobbi says:

cool. Hated to see Terra Nova cancelled, but love that Fringe “may be renewed”.

4. Boiler says:

Too bad for The Finder. Can’t believe Fox killed this show moving it to Friday

• smidnite says:

I can. If Fox keeps up this solid decision making they’ll become the new NBC.

• Dryden says:

The show was a dud on the more competitive (and important) Thursday night, losing a sizable chunk of viewers each week. Friday night has smaller expectations, and the show is still dropping big time. It’s hard to blame Fox for this one.

• Lisa says:

The Finder was pulling in comparable ratings to what Touch is doing on Thursdays. It’s ratings only fell off so sharply after it was moved to Friday.

5. mara says:

C’mon Fringe..

6. Balaji K says:

I like The Finder. It’s a charming show. It’s a shame it’s going to get cancelled after this season.

I liked the Fringe episode. Anna Torv and John Noble were fantastic. Too bad more people are not watching it. I hope it will get another season.

7. James says:

Why are people not watching Fringe, I would like to know who the nielsons are polling because its clearly a very popular show, its very strange. Fox better do the right thing and renew it.

• Alienate says:

I am the “people” not watching Fringe. After watching every episode since day ONE, my wife and I dropped out halfway thru this latest story arc. They turned it to crap.

• Olivia says:

The love storyline between Peter and Olivia turned me off, it detracts from the actual sci fi.

• ric says:

Yeah it’s too bad they try to add some more depth to the show…….

• Ken says:

Olivia- I must disagree with you.call me a romantic (which i am) i think the love storyline between Peter and Olivia is a beautiful thing. When JJ Abrams and the show runners, Pinkner and Wyman laid out the the show, they clearly in their interviews stated that “Fringe” was about relationships,family and feelings with sci fi overtone, and they being romantics,as they have stated,as remain true to there words with the scripts,and for this i’m glad.

• Olivia says:

Haha I actually agree with you! I watch a lot of shows with romance (heck – I was a One Tree Hill fan:P) I would just like a break from it – and Fringe was my break. I think the storytelling and plot is amazing on its own – and the friendships of the characters (eg Astrid/Walter, Walter/Olivia, etc) without having to add this Will they/wont they dribble and Olivia turning from an amazingly stong independant female character into a lovesick puppy.

Just my opinion :)

• Carly says:

It seems like they really blew it with that story line — those who were interested in the scifi got annoyed by the romance, and those who were interested in the romance got annoyed by the whole “peter isn’t really peter/olivia isn’t really olivia and therefore they can’t be together for half the season”. Their numbers ticked up a tiny bit in the episode Peter and Olivia got “back” together, only to fall again the next week.

• ric says:

Or maybe you just can’t appreciate good storytelling….

• Ken says:

Ric- I agree with you, it appears that good writing with great storytelling is above the head of many of the post on this site.

8. Jules says:

Well…it’s depressing to see thoses ratings…
    I watched live…maybe I’m the only one…
    The Fringe faith is drowning…in fox dosent care anymore to help them survive…
    No wonder they planned two endings,

9. JeffDJ says:

FRINGE news is aggravating! Why do some networks “help” a struggling show by moving it to a timeslot where it’s up against 2 or 3 other popular shows, making it even harder for it to survive??

• Mike says:

Fox did help fringe by moving it to Fridays last year. The bad thing they did was move it to Thursday’s from tuesdays. Grimm wasn’t around last year so its only competition was supernatural. Believe it or not fox has gone above and beyond to try and keep the show alive.

• smidnite says:

Now, now; look at how Fox helped Touch by handing it that key slot behind Idol. You know the one that Finder was supposed to hold onto until it was time for Bones to return?

Touch was the priority, Bones can take care of itself, and Finder…

• Lisa says:

Yes, it’s too bad because the ratings for Touch have fallen to what The Finder was getting before they were moved. Touch had good ratings for it’s pilot, but they’ve been declining every week. It isn’t the hit Fox thought it would be.

10. Bangontarget says:

Don’t really think Fringe ratings matter anymore, all about syndication and whether WB will give a new 13 eps to FOX for little or nothing (regain costs from syndication). Fringe has a 100% ratings gain with dvr figures (6m viewers), so people are watching, just not live. One of the showrunners said that they expect a decision within the next week.

• J. Norman says:

And even with the “100% gain” on the Live+7, Fringe gets all the way up to a whopping 1.8 in combined ratings.
      This gain in viewers sounds great on paper, but is insignificant on 2 fronts.

1) Advertisers track on a Live + 3 basis (going to 7 days obscures the tracking of advertising success to a shows airing)

2) Percentage gains are easy to obtain when you have nearly no viewers in the first place.
      When you include everyones increases in either L+3 or L+7 you find that Fringe far, far down the list of show ratings. I mean way down the list

11. shannon says:

Uh….a sure thing means it’s going to be renewed, people…if tvline knew it’s fate, that’s a good thing

12. joybrennan says:

Why don’t they just kill The Finder already? It is SO…ordinary. I mean, Touch, Fringe, Alcatraz all have serious concepts and so many directions they could go, and then there’s this show about a grumpy guy who finds stuff. Fringe has a major fanbase and is close to syndication. Touch is doing okay, Alcatraz has some interest and and a CONCEPT. Characters there can be added, tweaked…in comparison, the Finder is definitely the weakest link.

13. meleliot says:

Too bad about Fringe and The Finder, although they are totally different types of shows, I like they both. And with Grimm, Supernatural and Fringe on at the same time what do they expect? Not that Supernatural was on last night, but it was a three-way (and not in a good way) at the beginning of the season. Riddle me this: if I want my vote to count, is it better to watch Fringe without a Nielsen box on Friday night, or to DVR it and watch it later? Where does MY vote count?

• Sg.Grant says:

If you don’t have a Nielsen box, your vote doesn’t count. The Nielsen system is dated and is old. Based on the popularity of Fringe, I’d say there are more than 6 million people who watch it. Nielsen boxes are not an accurate representation of American viewing audiences.

14. Wayne says:

Ausiello, give us a % on how sure you’re calling Fringe “A Sure Thing.” Fringe fans are worried…

15. Kelsey says:

Grimm is awesome!!!

16. bad kevin says:

Fox better renew Fringe sooner rather than later and my money’s on The Finder getting canceled. :-(

17. Renee says:

Great Grimm news! And really sad about Finder it’s a fun show, but since Terra Nova was cancelled I’m hoping Fox goes down in flames. And that does seem to be possible… :-D

18. Sergio Schindler says:

Fringe is the best sci-fi tv show!! I just can’t stand one friday without it!!

19. Kay says:

“What were you tuned into this Friday?”

I was tuned into Grimm, of course. This show is improving leaps and bounds every episode now! :) Good to see it rebound in ratings – Friday the 13th, indeed! ;)

20. Cecelia says:

Yay for “Grimm”! I’m loving this show so much. It’s become one of my favorites. It keeps improving every week and seems to be hitting its stride. Can’t wait to see what will happen next and I’m so glad it’s getting a second season.

I’m sad about “The Finder” ’cause that is a fun show and I’m loving the characters and their found family. I hope they don’t get turned out into the cold but I don’t have much hope.

21. kirads09 says:

From Team TV Line Questions:
    “1 | Does Fringe not receive enough kudos for the top-notch quality and bountiful quantity of its split-screen work featuring actors acting opposite themselves?” Exactly! I was especially impressed with that aspect last night! Thus, I am always perplexed by the low ratings numbers.

On the plus side, I also adore Grimm. It has really captured me. Glad it is doing well.

22. Save Fringe says:

The suspense is killing us!! Does TVLine know anything about season 5 that made them change the status to “sure thing?!”

23. Mary says:

No one gives shows a chance anymore…TVLine put The Finder at a long shot by episode 6…and so I would assume Fox did too…

But so many GREAT shows have iffy viewership in the beginning…but they deserve a chance…not being relegated to “cut our losses” by the end of a few episodes…

Such a shame…

24. Kally says:

When are we going to get an accurate ratings system so we can see what people are really watching???

25. Jane says:

Fringe is simply too smart to air in a country where the dullard masses lap up garbage like CBS procedurals.

• meleliot says:

Jane, what a broad statement. Some of my favorite shows are Fringe, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, Mad Men, Community, Parks & Rec, Being Human, Luther, and yes some CBS shows too, Big Bang, The Good WIfe and Survivor. Your hatred of CBS is ridiculous, it should be more toward Bravo, MTV, etc.

• tp says:

I love Fringe. I also love NCIS, Blue Bloods, Hawaii 5-0, Person of Interest. So maybe you shouldn’t be so quick to judge others.

• suzi says:

I love Fringe, I also love Person of Interest and Criminal Minds. If you really feel this way, you’re intolerant and immature. If you’re just another troll, you’re foolish and immature.

• Tania says:

Jane, you do realize that the ‘dolt’ here is you right? Of course not. Now step back, take a deep breath and reduce the size of that broad brush. Oh and, um, act your age and don’t be so touchy.

Meleliot, tp and suzi your responses are appropriate. :D

• Ken says:

Jane – I could not agree with you more, shows that need this public to think is doomed on arrival.They will gladly gravitate towards junks like reality, cops and hospital dramas which requires no thinking,this is what they love.

26. Alex Agostini says:

Cannot understand the numbers. “The Finder” is a fun show and I have to agree with the person who said it’s pretty much doomed. But “Fringe” has a large following and the numbers should be much better. Hoping for a 5th season, even if it’s a partial season.

27. Tina says:

who is that guy in the picture? I know I have seen him in something, but for the life of me i can’t remember!

• kirads09 says:

Silas Weir Mitchell is in Grimm (Monroe) and is the one pictured. Love him. He has been in a lot. I remember him as “Haywire” in Prison Break.

• I had never seen Silas before, but he has some of the best lines and delivers them :-) They gave him a love interest & that is great! Love all the characters in Grimm and the actors, too. I can’t wait to see where it is headed.

28. Shaun says:

I wonder what online viewing of Fringe is,the numbers must be high because I see tons of online support of it.Grimm is actually getting a bit better,the last episode was advancing the storyline arc greatly.

29. tvdiva says:

I love Grimm, Supernatural and Fringe. Unfortunately they are all on at the same time so I have to DVR two of them and watch one. I usually watch Fringe live and Supernatural and Grimm afterwards. I wish they were not on all at the same time. That would certainly help ratings for all three shows.

30. Kristi says:

I finally was able to watch Friday’s “Grimm”. First time I’ve missed it live – gave it a skip because I was trapped in a Cabin in the Woods! (and loving every minute of it!)

31. Mikael says:

Friday night shows shouldn’t be held to the same standards as the rest of the week. Hardly anyone watches live tv anymore, let alone on Fridays! I know the networks hate dvr, but on a night when most people go out, you can’t ignore dvr ratings! Fringe clearly has an audience! We just don’t have (the horribly antiquated) Nielson boxes and we dvr it.