Exclusive

Exclusive: Fringe Stars Talk Finale ('We Shot Two Endings'), Drop Clue About Season 5 Storyline

Fox’s Fringe, which for four years now has traded in dual universes, doppelgängers and shape-shifting body doubles, is fittingly prepping alt versions of its Season 4 finale, as Fox and Warner Bros. TV continue to negotiate the possibility of a Season 5.

“We’ve shot two [endings],” John Noble told TVLine at the opening of the Beverly Hills Paley Center’s “Television: Out of the Box” exhibit, which was created in conjunction with Warner Bros. TV.

Fringe Videos: Walter Is Drug ‘Tested’ En Route to the Other Side, ‘Meana’ Warns Fauxlivia

Noble says many “big questions” will be answered in the season finale airing May 11 — including the matter of Olivia being fated to die (and whether the animated episode’s “Mr. X” figures into it) and Walter shouldering the burden of responsibility for the warring universes. Viewers also can expect a surprise on the villainy front (David Robert Jones plays “a very big part, but not as big as you think,” Noble teased. “There’s something bigger.”)

But as Joshua Jackson told us Thursday night, “The writers have given themselves a device by which we can tell a fifth-season story without having to leave this season’s story open.”

Although Lance Reddick, who plays Broyles, could not elaborate on the alternate endings, he did affirm, “The way [Season 4] ends could function as a series finale, but there’s one storyline left open that could end up as a cliffhanger for the beginning of the fifth season…. We’ll see what airs depending on what [Fox and WBTV] decide.”

Fringe‘s Top-Secret, Twisty Episode 19: What Do the First Photos Reveal?

If Fox does pull the trigger on some semblance of a Season 5 – be it a truncated 13-episode order or what have you – viewers will get a clue as to that new storyline much sooner than they may think.

“The door to the fifth season is opened in Episode 19 (airing April 20),” Jackson told us. “If you watch that, you’ll have an understanding of where they want to take the series.” (Possible clue/spoiler alert: Episode 19 takes place in the year 2036 and features a “game-changing battle” between the Fringe team and the Observers.)

But as for where things currently stand with the renewal order…. “I hear warm and fuzzy things — but I’ve been hearing them all the time,” Noble said. “We just picked up [TV Guide Magazine's] fan award for Best Drama and so forth, and the fans have always been very supportive… [and] I know the Fox executives actually like Fringe very much. But they run a business. I think we’ll be back, but we’ll wait and see.” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. anomale says:

Lots of valid comments here. I hope one of the big decision makers reads these. Fringe is a phenomenal show, so very intelligent, suspenseful, comedic, unique, original, even frightening at times. However, the absolutely best quality is the character development and relationships. I’m sure every one of these commenters loves and cares for Fringe’s core characters as if they were our own friends or family. Only the best shows have this effect. Lost did. I happened to notice something rare as I read all of the comments. They were overwhelmingly, almost 100% positive and in some form of support and agreence with each other. How refreshing. With the anonymity of the internet came trolls and almost non-existent manners and respect for one another. It repulses me. Well done Fringe fans. We deserve another season or two! Go the way of Lost and plan out the ending and announce it. And after tonight’s episode (19), I really want to see where they take this storyline!

2. Fe says:

I like sci-fi and enjoy Fringe — until last night when I watched the 19th episode (aired on 4/20/2012). I was shocked and disappointed by the sudden, unexpected change in the story line!!! I don’t want another V — warring factions and fighting! PLEASE, take me back to the previous story line of the alternate universe!!! That is sci-fi!

3. Deepal says:

I hope they are able to close out the series properly with a season 5. Episode 19 was sooo great!

• Fe says:

Episode 19 would only be great amongst viewers with Alzheimer’s!!! How could the producers think they could suddenly switch the storyline when the story they have woven about the characters in the alternate realities have not properly concluded!!! Not all the viewers have been dumbed down!!! Did you fire your previous writers???

• Fe says:

I watched Episode 20 last night (4/27/2012) and was absolutely pleased to see Fringe back on track!!! I am hoping and will be thrilled to see a season 5. However, I hope it will NOT be a continuation of Episode 19 with a storyline of The Observers vs. The Natives. I hope Episode 19 was just a schizophrenic break that’s now in remission. You have developed interesting characters in the two universes and woven intelligent, interesting plots. I see NO reason to massacre the Fringe Division in season 5.

4. patricia montenegro says:

HAPPY,HAPPY AND MORE HAPPY!!! FRINGE WAS RENEWED FOR 5TH SEASON!!! AT LAST A NETWORK THAT CONSIDERATE THE VIEWERS!! and just like others said, i personally record the serie, but iam a completely and devotely fan of fringe and iam not into the ratings system…reading all the commentary for the people here i feel good that there are so many that thinks like me… could be silly but it;s feel pretty good!!!

5. jerry says:

Damn… rating system above the quality of the show?? It was the timeslot change that caused the low ratings in the first place. Bring it back to the former timeslot and let’s see how the ratings stack up.

Still a salute to fox for renewing Fringe for one last season. JUst a thought though, the alternate ending can be used if Bad Robot decides to continue it with other network companies.

6. Guys. If money is the only issue with Fringe continuing, why don’t we do something about it? We should set up a fund for fans to donate money! I’m sure we can all do a little to help. If every fan raised a hundred dollars, that’s a hundred million right there! We can do it guys!!!
    WHO’S WITH ME?

7. Fe says:

I hated Episode 19 and resolved to stop watching Fringe if the next season follows its storyline. I don’t care to watch another “V” — war between aliens vs humans. I liked Part 2 of the season finale “Brave New World”. I did not mind it got corny in the end; I like happy endings. I hope there will be a fifth season and look forward to Olivia getting brought back to life — it’s magical but it’s science fiction. I hope the next season will continue the expand on the twists and turns in the two universes. Continue weaving science fiction — NOT a video game. Fox can ax William Bell. Keep the rest of the characters, including Agent Lee who chose to go with the other Olivia in the alternate universe. To the two Olivias, Peter Bishop, Walter Bishop, Astrid, Agent Lee: May you all live and prosper!

8. jhon says:

love the show, no matter what other people said……. is really really good show.. congrats.

9. insanity abs says:

For want of a insanity workout the guy was lost