The CW's Ringer On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

Come mid-May (if not at times sooner), the networks will be making tough calls as to which series will return for the 2012-13 TV season, and which … won’t. As we did last spring, TVLine is singling out select “bubble” shows to assess their prospects.

Next up is a tale about twins that’s hoping to make The CW do a “double” take as it considers renewal.

THE SHOW: Ringer (The CW)

THE TIME SLOT: Tuesdays at 9/8c; season finale airs April 17.

THE CASE FOR KEEPING | Ringer is ripe with potential but, not unlike the first seasons of several series — ahem, Community, Parks and Recreation – it needs a bit more time to work out the kinks and grow into itself. That said, when Ringer is good, it can be really good. First of all, it’s still got what initially drew us all in — Sarah Michelle Gellar times two. And while it’s clearly not the second coming of Buffy (nor was it supposed to be), it’s nice to have her back on our TVs each week. Add to that the fact that the freshman drama mastered the art of the love-to-hate villain (Siobhan and Catherine, to name two), aced the jaw-dropping death of a main character (RIP, Gemma) and nurtured an unconventional yet very sweet romance (between Bridget and Andrew), and you’ve got the makings of a fun, sudsy show.

THE CASE FOR CUTTING | No matter how it has tried (and try it has), Ringer has never quite lived up to the expectations set in its strong debut episode (boat scene excepted). The premise was a winning one — estranged twins reunite, only to have one “die” and the other assume her sister’s identity — but that all played out by pilot’s end. Since then, the plot has become increasingly convoluted. There’s just too much “shock for shocks’ sake” and not enough earned drama. And while the cast of the sudser is all-around solid, it’s way too big, leaving little to do for more than a few criminally underused players, Nestor Carbonell and Kris Polaha included.

More Keep or Cut Discussions: Fox’s Fringe? The CW’s Secret Circle? NBC’s Whitney? ABC’s GCB?

Vote below, and then hit the comments to make your own case for keeping or cutting Ringer.

Tags: ,

Comments (151)

• KEEP

Comment by nick – April 18, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is *serialized* drama. How well do you think ’24′ would have faired if you gave people four months in the middle of a season to lose the plot threads. This program could make CW tons of money in syndication and DVD sales, unlike ‘Hart of Dixie’ and ‘Nikita’ and ‘The Secret Vampire Crop Circle Club’ or whatever the other dreck on your network is called.

Comment by Robyn – April 19, 2012 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP KEEP KEEP. Ringer is just a wonderful hot mess in the best way possible. CW has low ratings in general, and Ringer isn’t doing worse than most shows there. I believe season 2 would give it a chance to really get it’s act together and become a solid show. Season 1 was them finding their footing, they do deserve another season to prove themselves. Shows like Buffy and OTH didn’t do epically well in their first seasons, and look how great they became. Renew Ringer!

Comment by Ofawbb – May 1, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOOOOOVE THE RINGER I really hope they keep it they cant leave it the way it went off i mean come on she realized her sister not dead andrew knows whats going on and WHAT HAPPEN TO GEMMA!! Its so much more to reveal with this show they really need to learn how to give shows a chance the cw love cutting shows they did the same thing with hellcats…..CW GIVE RINGER A CHANCE!!!

Comment by neek neek – May 1, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that Ringer is a fantastic show. It is one of the best shows the CW has, and they don’t have many good ones any more. One Tree Hill was another AMAZING show, although I do understand that after 8 years the cast and crew were ready for a change.

There are only a few shows besides Ringer that I still watch. The Vampire Diaries and The Secret Circle are the only other shows besides Ringer that I still watch, and if they cancel ANY of these I WILL stop watching the CW and I wont be surprised if others stop watching as well

Comment by Courtney – May 1, 2012 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I watch the Ringer and Secret Circle on the CW, and if these 2 shows are gone I have no reason to watch channel. And if they cancel great shows like these 2 after just one season, Why give them a chance to do it again on yet another show. As far as I’m concern this will be the CW’s last chance to keep this viewer. I’m not going to start another new show just have it taken away from me in one season.

Comment by Debbie – May 2, 2012 05:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ringer is great!! Seeing Sarah Michelle Gellar again regularly is fantastic. The story has gotten really good! I love it!!

Comment by julzrael – May 7, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Noooo they have to keep. I love it! Even my boyfriend has gotten into it, he missed an episode once so I tried explaining it but that wasn’t good enough so we watched a re run online!! KEEP!

Comment by Sandy – August 5, 2012 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post