The CW's Ringer On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

Come mid-May (if not at times sooner), the networks will be making tough calls as to which series will return for the 2012-13 TV season, and which … won’t. As we did last spring, TVLine is singling out select “bubble” shows to assess their prospects.

Next up is a tale about twins that’s hoping to make The CW do a “double” take as it considers renewal.

THE SHOW: Ringer (The CW)

THE TIME SLOT: Tuesdays at 9/8c; season finale airs April 17.

THE CASE FOR KEEPING | Ringer is ripe with potential but, not unlike the first seasons of several series — ahem, Community, Parks and Recreation – it needs a bit more time to work out the kinks and grow into itself. That said, when Ringer is good, it can be really good. First of all, it’s still got what initially drew us all in — Sarah Michelle Gellar times two. And while it’s clearly not the second coming of Buffy (nor was it supposed to be), it’s nice to have her back on our TVs each week. Add to that the fact that the freshman drama mastered the art of the love-to-hate villain (Siobhan and Catherine, to name two), aced the jaw-dropping death of a main character (RIP, Gemma) and nurtured an unconventional yet very sweet romance (between Bridget and Andrew), and you’ve got the makings of a fun, sudsy show.

THE CASE FOR CUTTING | No matter how it has tried (and try it has), Ringer has never quite lived up to the expectations set in its strong debut episode (boat scene excepted). The premise was a winning one — estranged twins reunite, only to have one “die” and the other assume her sister’s identity — but that all played out by pilot’s end. Since then, the plot has become increasingly convoluted. There’s just too much “shock for shocks’ sake” and not enough earned drama. And while the cast of the sudser is all-around solid, it’s way too big, leaving little to do for more than a few criminally underused players, Nestor Carbonell and Kris Polaha included.

More Keep or Cut Discussions: Fox’s Fringe? The CW’s Secret Circle? NBC’s Whitney? ABC’s GCB?

Vote below, and then hit the comments to make your own case for keeping or cutting Ringer.

Tags: ,

Comments (151)

• The CW MUST keep Ringer save. Have you any idea how long we have been waiting SMG’s return?

Comment by Reward – April 13, 2012 03:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cut. Love SMG. Tried so hard to like, but couldn’t. And it;s ratings are awful, EVEN for the CW.

Comment by ck – April 13, 2012 04:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE KEEP! KEEP! KEEP! KEEP! PLEASE LOVE THE SHOW

Comment by Aleana – April 13, 2012 04:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, this show is so bad that it’s almost good. I love seeing the ridiculousness of it all every week. Keep.

Comment by Alex – April 13, 2012 05:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP! KEEP! PLEASE KEEP!

Comment by ALEANA – April 13, 2012 05:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There are oh so many shows out there right now that have episode after episode of what I like to call “filler crap,” meaning episodes where NOTHING happens at all. I find myself wondering if I even care to invest time in the rest of the season. Ringer is a show that keeps me interested. I enjoy the fact that there is always a new twist; something to keep me invested in watching it. Without this element, tv kind of sucks.

Comment by Amanda M – April 13, 2012 05:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really this would stay, favourite new show this season !! (Would’ve been my favourite show but was beaten out by TVD haha). Keep RINGER!!!

Comment by crimtv – April 13, 2012 05:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ringer is gone according in an insider at the CW

Comment by Jake – April 13, 2012 05:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What about Hart of Dixie?Secret Circle?

Comment by Brandy – April 13, 2012 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cut. This show does NOT deserve a second season. Nikita, on the other hand, deserves a third. And more.

Comment by CJ – April 13, 2012 06:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Ringer, it won tv guides fan favorite for guilty pleasure. It is mine. I wish it was at a different time it has to go up against established shows. I can’t watch it live as Im more loyal to NCIS brand. Tuesday is a difficult night had there so many options. However SMG does a great job of playing both roles they are totally different.

Comment by Nicole – April 13, 2012 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If I were the CW I’d lean towards cut. I tried to love this series, but I just wasn’t enthusiastic enough to keep going after the winter break. I do have friends that love it, but I have trouble seeing future potential.

Comment by John Berggren – April 13, 2012 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • please keep it

Comment by Christen Nitkowski – April 13, 2012 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should give Ringer a 10-12 episodes second season. 22 episodes are too much. But 10-12 would be good.

Comment by Kat – April 13, 2012 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “…not enough earned drama.” Exactly.

Comment by Kaulbach Kurt-James – April 13, 2012 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes Yes Yes Keep

Comment by mike – April 13, 2012 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ringer is a great show and it should come back, it is a great show, tons of twists which is one of the things that makes a great show! I think the ratings at times have been better that the Secret Circle and HOD! So if they keep SC and HOD and cancel Ringer then I will be upset, while I watch the other 2 as well, Ringer is the best of the 3!

Comment by sarah – April 13, 2012 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE RINGER! I will be so disappointed if it’s cancelled.

Comment by Andrea – April 13, 2012 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would LOVE to see where the show goes in Season 2. I really hope it gets that opportunity. I have been watching it live as it airs each week (not that it matters really becase I don’t have a Nielsen box).

Comment by Meghan – April 13, 2012 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The ratings are atrocious. Enjoy it while you can.

Comment by Couch Potato Cop – April 13, 2012 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ratings aren’t everything to CW. Just look at Supernatural. It gets awful ratings time and time again, but the fan base is so devoted that the show still lives on in its 7th season. I’m hoping for a season 2 for Ringer.

Comment by alyssa – April 13, 2012 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • CW ratings are atrocious in general. Overall Ringer is faring about the same if not better than shows like Gossip Girl, 90210, Hart of Dixie, L.A. Complex, etc etc.

Comment by Ofawbb – May 1, 2012 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More people posted on this blog than actually watch the show

Comment by Couch Potato Cop – April 13, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My original response was keep, but then I realized that I have five episodes that I still haven’t watched on my DVR. Apparently I’m not dying to watch it despite my love for SMG.

Comment by Debbie M – April 13, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t this show win the viewer poll for best guilty pleasure? It means people are watching it, but it is not showing in the ratings. I’m watching.

Comment by Gerald – April 13, 2012 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was so tired of this show by about episode 8 or 9; I was just enjoying Revenge so much more which is a similar high-society show with alterior motives going on. But for some reason I picked Ringer back up online and the last few episodes have been really good. It’s finally coming back to full circle with their earlier storylines and it’s nice to see that they really have been all connected. So I would be willing to give it another shot next season.

Comment by Loni – April 13, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What are you talking about? I LOVE Community’s first season! Buth yeah I would cut Ringer without thinking twice, it’s so god damn awful.

Comment by lily – April 13, 2012 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Ringer please keep!!!

Comment by Frankie – April 13, 2012 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s cut our losses and finish up the current storyline and CUT this one. It was good and I watched it all season, but I feel like I’ve had enough.

Comment by Rich – April 13, 2012 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep please! I think they need to pull the plots together and like you said, not have shocking turns of events just for shock’s sake. But i really enjoy it and hope to see it come back!

Comment by Jess – April 13, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have admittedly never seen any of this show, but I think they should cut it so Ioan Gruffudd can make more Hornblower (because I’m sure it’s that simple).

Comment by buckbeakbabie – April 13, 2012 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show went full-on crazypants this week, and it was freaking awesome! Keep!

Comment by Sarah – April 13, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • started watching this show….. stopped after 6 episodes…just so dumb! good twin bad twin both telling lies…just awful! keep secret circle and lose this junk!!

Comment by Lisa – April 13, 2012 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • keep its i love the chemistry between smg and ioan the best show on the cw and its not a teeny bopper show. love andrew and bridget and the evil siobhan martin… keep keep keep

Comment by diane – April 13, 2012 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It should have already been cancelled. The show is terrible and boring. All the “twists” are ridiculous and and desperate… The writing is bad and the acting is even worse, even from actors I have enjoyed previously (SMG, Gruffudd, Poloha, etc). The CW needs to cut this dead weight and find a GOOD show to air in it’s place.

Comment by A – April 13, 2012 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ringer is the best new show on The CW. They should keep it. Oh, and definitely:
    Ringer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Lying Game

Comment by John – April 13, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love this show!! and i think it should be kept however i think it will fall into a plot whole once andrew finds out that sioban is bridget and bridget finds out her sisters alive. I just hope that they can keep the drama coming. I think the CW should cut Nikita and Gossip Girl and keep this, the secret circle and my new favorite show Hart of Dixie. Shows tend to not do so great in the beginning, then pick it up in the middle, and then die out again. Gossip Girl especially should have been hitting their high point now and thats

Comment by Katie – April 13, 2012 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE this show, it’s the only NEW show I have watched this season! It’s had a lot of twists and turns but they’re being revealed and as the writers have a 3 year story line I am dying to see where they go with it. It’s the only show I watch on the CW, and I can honestly say I won`t miss the channel if they get rid of this one, I mean 90210, Gossip Girl?? Gag me

Comment by Dreamer – April 13, 2012 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ringer is definitely a keeper. Best show ever aired on The CW.

Comment by Rob – April 13, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like most everyone else, I started watching this show just because of SMG (and Nestor Carbonell) and even though I wasn’t sure if I liked it for a while, I am HOOKED like crack on this show.
    During last and this week’s episode I was getting out of my seat, screaming at the tv because I was so into it. And the only other shows I have done that for are Buffy, Angel, and Supernatural.
    PLEASE KEEP!

Comment by alyssa – April 13, 2012 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched about half of the season and gave up on it. Too inconsistent.. too convoluted.. characters didn’t pop like they should have. I think if it had slowed it’s pace down a tad and relished the lifestyle that was going on around Bridget and just played it a bit slower it would have been more frothy. I say give it up and bring on one of the CWs like 10 pilots.

Comment by Danielle H – April 13, 2012 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP!!! the show gets better and better. The thing is just that the CW is simply the wrong network for a show like Ringer. The show itself is one of my favourites currently.

Comment by Svenja – April 13, 2012 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ringer has potential, and if a new a writing team is hired I’m sure that potential can be reached. All the males are idiots and the moments of non-stupidity are so rare you’re amazed. Keep it and give it a chance to improve!

Comment by Lace – April 13, 2012 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Sarah but the show is kind of crappie. I stopped watch last year. She deserve something better

Comment by ash – April 13, 2012 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cut this mess, butcher it!

Comment by tati – April 13, 2012 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep!

Comment by The Buskalo Kid – April 13, 2012 11:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is a keep!!! its one of the best shows this year, I agree that GG should be cancelled it doesn’t really have a shock factor its just the same crap over and over like 90210 which should have been cancelled a long time ago its so bad! they have all slept together its gross! Ringer is exciting, nail-biting and so cute I mean Bridget & Andrew awwwwwwwwwww I need another season of them!!! Please Renew CW!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Katy – April 14, 2012 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ringer has a quite potential and a brilliant cast! I really hope CW can give them a 2nd shot coz the show is good and has so much to go…

Comment by Dree – April 14, 2012 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep. Sure, it needs to fix some things but it could have a strong second season. The CW keeps that terrible 90210 on air, now that makes no sense.

Comment by Leo – April 14, 2012 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i cant even get it in my head that they are thinking about cancelling it. i live in the UK and dont have the channel so i have to download it which thousands of people do which doesnt really help the ratings. the break which they had in the middle lost about 1 million viewers because people saw different programmes and chose them over ringer. personally, i think this show is really addictive and it gets better and better every week. some people are just starting to watch ringer so this show needs to be given another chance. you should keep it for the fans who have been here from the start so we know what happens to the characters.

Comment by jade reay – April 15, 2012 01:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They HAVE to keep this show, the recent episodes have been mind-blowing!!! I’ve been on the edge of my seat!! This show deserves another season because HELLO…SARAH MICHELLE GELLAR!!! SHE’S AWESOME!!!

Comment by mattyzee – April 15, 2012 05:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it for Ioan, not Sarah

Comment by Dj – April 16, 2012 11:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Renew CW! So SMG can stay in the bowels of low rated CW …where she belongs.

Comment by Peggy – April 18, 2012 02:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post