The CW's Ringer On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

Come mid-May (if not at times sooner), the networks will be making tough calls as to which series will return for the 2012-13 TV season, and which … won’t. As we did last spring, TVLine is singling out select “bubble” shows to assess their prospects.

Next up is a tale about twins that’s hoping to make The CW do a “double” take as it considers renewal.

THE SHOW: Ringer (The CW)

THE TIME SLOT: Tuesdays at 9/8c; season finale airs April 17.

THE CASE FOR KEEPING | Ringer is ripe with potential but, not unlike the first seasons of several series — ahem, Community, Parks and Recreation – it needs a bit more time to work out the kinks and grow into itself. That said, when Ringer is good, it can be really good. First of all, it’s still got what initially drew us all in — Sarah Michelle Gellar times two. And while it’s clearly not the second coming of Buffy (nor was it supposed to be), it’s nice to have her back on our TVs each week. Add to that the fact that the freshman drama mastered the art of the love-to-hate villain (Siobhan and Catherine, to name two), aced the jaw-dropping death of a main character (RIP, Gemma) and nurtured an unconventional yet very sweet romance (between Bridget and Andrew), and you’ve got the makings of a fun, sudsy show.

THE CASE FOR CUTTING | No matter how it has tried (and try it has), Ringer has never quite lived up to the expectations set in its strong debut episode (boat scene excepted). The premise was a winning one — estranged twins reunite, only to have one “die” and the other assume her sister’s identity — but that all played out by pilot’s end. Since then, the plot has become increasingly convoluted. There’s just too much “shock for shocks’ sake” and not enough earned drama. And while the cast of the sudser is all-around solid, it’s way too big, leaving little to do for more than a few criminally underused players, Nestor Carbonell and Kris Polaha included.

More Keep or Cut Discussions: Fox’s Fringe? The CW’s Secret Circle? NBC’s Whitney? ABC’s GCB?

Vote below, and then hit the comments to make your own case for keeping or cutting Ringer.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Commentary, Keep Or Cut, Renewals

1. Kymi says:

Umm…it’s SMG….why would they even think of cancelling it….

• dude says:

Maybe cause no one’s watching it.

• JustMe says:

But there are other shows on The CW with less viewers so your point is?

• The point is that it’s a freshman series with very low ratings. Gossip Girl has been on for five seasons and is getting very low ratings. If Ringer is getting ratings like this now, they are only going to get worse.

• matt says:

you do realize all cw shows have horrid ratings so even if thier best shows struggle its because of the network and plus the cw decides on revenue visits to the site and then viewership so all in all ringer is probably the most safe show right now on the network since its the networks fourth highest rated show only losing to shows thst have been on for more then two seasons

• KevyB says:

Plus, shows five years in end up paying WAY more for all the talent, whereas a show in its second season pays the same they did in the first. Cheap is important, especially on the CWuh.

• greysfan says:

Regardless CW is at its lowest point since it began. I love Ringer and hope they renew it for a second season but the fact is CW is a sinking ship. I have no idea how it (CW) can stay on the air with such low ratings. The network is running at a loss isn’t it? Anyway SMG is awesome and this show has really been one of the new show highlights of the year for me. It would be a shame if they cancelled it now.

• Debbie says:

I watch a couple of shows on the CW. It’s a good network. The problem is not everyone in the USA has cable. I love Ringer, I hope they give it at least one more season to get more viewers.

• greysfan says:

I do as well. Like i was saying though how can CW stay on the air with those sort of ratings for all shows not just this one.

• pennrandall says:

Keep Ringer definitely. I need my SMG fix each week or else what is the point of television??

• Debbie says:

I hope they will give Ringer more time. I’m sure not going to watch it’s replacement. Why should I, if all they do is get you hooked on a show. Then cancel it.

• Arkady Storm says:

I LOVE THIS>>> Although some of the newer series coming up on CW look interesting, I have no plans to watch any of them, only to get hooked, as I did with Ringer, only to be left hanging when they cancel it. Ringer is the only reason I came back to CW at all, and they have once again let me down.

• voula says:

I am every week !! Love SMG !!

• Kathryn says:

And the show is so badly written a good written show shouldn’t be cut to make room for this piece of trash.

• Steven says:

Yeah, but the really well-written shows rarely end up on the CW. There was Gilmore Girls and… nope, that’s pretty much it. The entire network is built on the premise of guilty pleasures. We can be okay with that, right?

• rubytu says:

I think there have been some great shows on WB/CW – Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Popular, Charmed, Smallville, Veronica Mars, and Angel. Those are ones that I’ve watched, I can’t speak for the other shows. But, I know these were good.

• Ashli says:

Good point.

But didn’t Veronica Mars originally start on UPN? Then moved when UPN changed networks?

• Steph says:

Out of all the shows Both of you just listed (all of them awesome by the way) only Smallville, Veronica Mars and Gilmore Girls were ever part of The CW. And out of those Smallville is the only one that survived after The CW’s first season. They also killed 7th Heaven at the end of their first year, which had it coming, but that was their only other major family friendly WB show.  They kept One Tree Hill and ANTM alive and Supernatural as well. And while Supernatural and Smallville were the unique standouts of the network, the very next year was the birth of Gossip Girl and that’s been the network’s party line ever since. Now they’ve had multiple opportunities the past few pilot seasons to pick more high brow options  and one can argue that Hart of Dixie is a step in the right direction. But let’s just all agree CBS is the responsible overachiever and The CW is its younger, sluttier cousin.

• Steven says:

And Smallville wasn’t exactly the best-written. It was terribly, terribly gimmicky. But, to its credit, the producers knew how to do a gimmick well. I will forever hold that no show ever did stunt-guest-casting better than Smallville.

• Kalie says:

“Supernatural” & “Nikita” are very well-written.

2. smidnite says:

I’ve seen just about every “twin” variation there is to see; Ringer offered nothing new.

I’d rather see another season of Nikita.

• Marc says:

Agreed. I love SMG and tried very hard to give this show a chance but it just isn’t that good. I would much rather Nikita get a third season — it pulls in better ratings on the worst night for TV viewership than Ringer does on a good night consistently.

• Leo says:

@smidnit: Offered nothing new? You gotta be kidding. Did you even watch the show regularly like the rest of us? Ringer is the best best soap opera out there. And the cast are really really great and the writers are really really good.

• Debbie says:

Finally someone posted with some taste. I would differently buy Ringer on DVD if given a chance to do so. This show is a whole lot better than the Good Wife and Blue Bloods and they renewed that trash. Maybe if Ringer was on CBS it would have a better chance. Then again. If it has to do with Lawyers and cops then by all means renew it.

• Chris says:

Speaking of offering nothing new… that stinker Nikita is just covering old ground that was already gone over many years ago by better TV shows and movies about the exact same topic, lol!

3. Pop that bubble like a zit and let it drain away. No need for a Season Two.

4. Sarah says:

keep the show is now getting awesome

• a. says:

I voted for keep for now, but I’m finding it difficult to see what they can do with the plot in the future – once the secrets are out, they’ll lose their premise of two sisters switching identities and what’s left then?

• Jessi S. says:

Actually, the creators and SMG have said that they have a three year plot arc already planned out. Only SMG knows it for now, but other actors are let in on details as they become relevant to their characters.

• R says:

Exactly! Keep it! Very few shows keep me on my toes to watch the next new episode as soon as it airs (rest: DVR) but Ringer has become such an integral part of my tuesdays!
      100% on Team Keep Ringer Coming!!!

5. Robin says:

KEEP!!!!

6. ann says:

ringer is amazing! i hope they keep it :D

7. Dale says:

I really wanted to love this show. I tried really hard and figured out quickly that I can keep track of it through recaps on different websites. I also have gotten so used to the “twists” that they don’t feel like twists anymore they are expected. At this point I would rather see SMG do something worth watching then have her on a bad show just to have her back on tv

8. Whimsical says:

Keep! Its the most hysterically funny thing on the CW’s schedule, its so preposterous.

• Doreen Barnes says:

This show just keeps getting better and better, they need to keep it. They having amazing talent on this show it just needs a chance it has so much potential im going to mmiss it after tuesday i hope they renew it, plus i think being one of tv guides fan favorite show is a bonus

9. Amanda says:

Definitely a keep!

10. Jay says:

Ugh, but it’s SUCH A GOOD SHOW! I know it’s confusing, but they’re trying it all up!

11. GeoDiva says:

I am totally on the fence. I watch Ringer every week but sometimes I wish to be put out of my misery. The fact that Bridget has not figured out that Siobhan is still alive drives me nuts and makes me want this to all go away. But I will say that the last few episodes have really dialed up the crazy in a really fun way. Ringer is a toal trainwreck that I just can’t help but watch.

12. Tanya says:

This is one of my favourite shows I definitely hope they keep it. Everyone at my work is watching it too, it’s a huge topic of discussion at work on Weds mornings!

13. Monica says:

Cut….watched 13 episodes and gave up on it. Bored me to tears. It was too dull, and I just could never connect with any of the characters

14. John says:

I disagree that it’s been “too much shock for shock’s sake and not enough earned drama.” By and large, I think it has been earned and solidly so. “Ringer” and “American Horror Story” were the only 2 series this year I found worth watching. I sincerely hope “Ringer” is brought back for a sophomore season. I’d love to spend more time with these characters.

15. Megan says:

It’s so good. KEEP!!

16. Bec Lawson says:

I wish I could vote ‘keep’ more than once, it’s such an amazing show. I’m on the edge of my seat every week and I love the way that there are so many OMG moments…
    One of the best and most addictive shows on tv for sure

17. Angie says:

I voted cut. Out of all the new shows, I would much rather keep Hart of Dixie and/or The Secret Circle.

18. ICU says:

If you going to cancel this show, then CANCEL Gossip Girl. I’ve never seen a series so drastically different than the previous seasons. Ringer is MUCH better written than the travesty that is GG.

• Avi says:

Agreed. I think they should cancel Gossip Girl which is a shell of its former self. I loved the first 2.5-3 seasons of GG and the 4th was ok but the 5th season has been so terrible that I couldn’t even watch it anymore. Ringer is young and can grow into a great series. Gossip Girl can’t. They should cut GG and keep Ringer. I don’t even watch Ringer and I voted Keep. There is obviously a devoted fan base out there that can grow.

19. Adam says:

Keep definately, only good thing worth watching on tv.

20. Hannah says:

I love the show! KEEP

21. Ringer is soooo bad, sooo trashy that it ends up becoming a good show!
    CW should definelety keep it!

22. darcywilson says:

As much as I love the show, let’s be serious guys: it’s going to get cancelled.

23. Lily says:

it’s an alright show but I can’t imagine that they can really keep all the drama up without starting to go down ridiculous routes- how long can they keep the twins running around each other?? I wish they’d tell shows if they were kept or cancelled before the last episode so that they can wrap it up nicely.

24. They MUST keep it! It is the best show they’ve had in ages!

25. Lourdes says:

This show is one of my favorite TV guilty pleasures. It took a few episodes to find its rhythm, but it’s so good, I would hate for it not to get a second season. Ioan and Sarah have such amazing chemistry, they totally deserve another season!

26. Deidre says:

Keep! Has a lot of great story left to tell and it can do it with a season 2!! I love all of the twists!!!

27. KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPP PLEASE KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPP! ILL BE HEARTBROKEN

28. mia says:

it started off rough, theres no denying that. And I pretty much only kept watching because of my love of SMG….but Im SO glad I did. Its completely addictive and its probably the show I look forward to most now. And I love the convoluted plot lines and the shock-after-shock set up, keeps it exciting and dramatic. Plus, the more shocks they added, the better the show got. Those first few episodes were rather shock free….and we don’t want to return to that do we.

RENEW IT!!!

29. S says:

Here’s the problem with the show: there are TOO MANY plot twists. So much happens in each episode that if you were to miss one, you’d be so lost, hense the lower viewership.

I think it would be great if the CW gave it a 13 episode run next season to end the stories but I doubt that’ll happen. It’s a pity because SMG is SO GOOD as usual and the show has really been on it’s game the last few weeks.

30. Manie says:

CW should have learned by now not to cut a SMG TV show lol They did it with Buffy (I’m still in shock over that) to keep Charmed instead… I mean CHARMED over Buffy the Vampire Slayer?! And looked what happened, UPN took over and the show lasted till season 7. They should give Ringer a fair chance… except Nikita it’s probably the only TV Show with an older demo!

• Lambsilencer says:

Just to be clear: It wasn’t UPN that actually ended “Buffy”, it was SMG, when she decided not to renew her contract for another season. Of course the network had to cancel it after losing the lead actress.

• Lambsilencer says:

Yeah great, first that post didn’t show up, and now, when I wrote a new version, there’s two of them. Sorry about that. Ignore the above, read the one below, it’s more informative.

• Lambsilencer says:

A few corrections… :)

“Buffy” went from the WB to UPN, and never aired on the CW, as it ended before the WB/UPN merger. And it also wasn’t UPN that actually ended “Buffy”, it was SMG herself, when she decided not to renew her contract for another season. Of course the network had to cancel it after losing the lead actress.

• Manie says:

CW, WB… call it what you want, it was still the same people it only merge later. I wasn’t blaming UPN for cancelling Buffy far from it, my point was that WB let go of Roswell and Buffy at the time to let Charmed take over and UPN salvaged both series and made them worked! I’m a huge fan of UPN for doing that!

31. Michelle says:

CW, please don’t cancel this show! It’s one of the best shows on TV right now. It has a great storyline and twists. It’s one of the very few shows I look forward to every week!

32. Deb says:

KEEP IT!!!! The show is getting really good. It can only be better now!! The cast & crew really deserve another year

33. rubytu says:

I just love Sarah Michelle Gellar and would watch any show she was in. Have you seen “Veronica Decides to Die”? Actually a pretty good movie.

34. Ashli says:

Yes its SMG and that alone is reason enough to keep it on, but its actually a good show. Episode after episode in left in shock. Only one other show has me like that this season, Once Upon a Time.

Give Ringer one more season to show you what it can become! I have faith in CW that they will keep it

• Tyler says:

KEEP KEEP KEEP! SARAH MICHELLE GELLAR IS TO GOOD TO GET RAN OFF MY SOME SLUT FEAST LIKE GOSSIP GIRL, I THINK THEY SHOULD CANCEL THAT FIRST! I HAVE FAITH THAT THEY WILL DO THE HONEST THING AND KEEP RINGER BECAUSE THERE ARE FANS THAT LOVE IT, LIKE MEE

35. Brandy says:

Cut, id rather have Hart of Dixie or Secret Circle or GG.Ringer barley gets a million a viewers now and a worse demo than GG and is the lowest rated cw show in demo(nikita is second) and it would get below a million a viewers and 0.1_0.3 in demo next season if renewed and its ad rates would be the lowest of all cw shows and it would be loosing cw money especailly scince smgs huge salary and the fact that Ringer has lost the most viewers in total viewers from the pilot to now and its cws biggest failure and a very exspensive one, its got to be embarrasing for cw.

36. shel says:

It is convoluted, but it’s exciting and fun, and it’s held my attention all season. If push comes to shove, I’d pick Nikita over Ringer, but I’d still REALLY like to see another season of Ringer.

37. Jennifer says:

Ringer is the 2nd best show on the CW!!! (Vampire Diaries is #1)
    PLEASE RENEW!!!

• Jamie says:

I definately have to agree with you there!! Ringer is just getting good! This show always keeps you hooked…there is always something that makes you go… What the crap!!!

KEEP!!

38. Emily says:

I watch basically every show on television and this has to be one of my favorites I can’t believe ur even considering canceling it please don’t!

39. x says:

Supernatural and Nikita are the only good shows on this network. I tried watching Ringer but I stopped after a few episodes. cancel it to make room for Arrow.

40. mjr256 says:

If it’s a choice between Ribger and Nikita, I’d much rather they keep Nikita and ditch Ringer. Ringer can be fun and unpredictable but once they started the Wild Things subplot, it started going downhill fast.

41. AimanGabz says:

Ringer is a mad show to watch but if I have to choose 2 series out of 3 which are hart of Dixie , Nikita , ringer i would choose hart of Dixie to stay and cancel the other 2 …. Let’s be honest it is really fun watching ringer but if it gets renewed I doubt that season 2 would draw more attention then the first cuz all the crazy stuff happened in season 1 and most people didn’t like watching it :p

42. Russ says:

I really wanted to like the Ringer and I kinda do, but if you want a show with the same plot but with more drama and excitement you should check out The Lying Game on ABCfamily its definitely better. But I would like to see how the show could grow more with a second (and most likely last) season.

43. MaryAnn says:

I can’t beleive the network is actually considering canceling “Ringer”! This show is just so gripping and edge-of-the seat it is not even funny. It has characters to care about and a world to get drawn in by.

As for the questionable ratings, it certainly doesn’t help that the show was off for the entire month of January! Before that, it was next to number 1 for the network. They gave people a chance to establish their viewing habits for the spring without thinking about “Ringer,” and they didn’t do enough promotion to draw people back in. It would also have helped if they had kept all the 2012 episodes on their website so that people who were late finding it again this winter would have more time to see all the episodes and not get permanently benind by missing plot twists and character development.

As for the potential for next season? Well, we don’t know yet where the season finale will leave us, but it is my ;hope that Andrew will know the truth of Bridget’s identity, that he will help her maintain the charade to protect her life, and that we will see Bridget and Andrew discover gradually hints that Siobhan is alive and become united against Siobhan’s scheming and plan for revenge.

Bring back “Ringer”! It deserves at least one more season to find refind its audience!!

44. Rachel says:

Cut, its ratings are pathetic, it’s tacky and a waste of some good actors, all the reasons to be cancelled.

45. Lyns says:

I think RInger should be kept for at least one more season, I’m loving it look forward to it every week! What I am getting bored with is the secret circle nothing new there it’s all been done to death before a million times!

46. Ella says:

Cut. The show is awful, barring maybe 1 or 2 episodes there towards the end. The only good show on the CW is Supernatural, and I guess ANTM, though that’s a whole other category.

• Nichole says:

The only good shows are Supernatural and ANTM? Really?!?! Both of those shows are way past their prime, especially ANTM. Ringer’s quality has been debatable, but it is so addictive and I think most people can agree that it is getting better as it goes. Ringer is going up the hill. Supernatural and ANTM are crashing down it.

47. Wyatt says:

Keep Ringer!!! Best show on TV!