Idology: DeAndre Brackensick on Jimmy's Scorn, Fresh Idol Songs, and a Genius Finale Idea

DeAndre Brackensick made it all the way to eighth-place on Season 11 of American Idol, but don’t worry, it hasn’t gone to his head. DeAndre is still the kind of teenager who uses “if” not “when” to describe the album he’d like to make, who talks about using negative comments as fuel to improve his performances, and who’s still smarting over the unexpected ouster of his Vegas group member Candice Glover.

DeAndre stopped by TVLine HQ for his Idology interview where he discussed all of the above, plus how he continued to work with the members of his legendary Season 10 Hollywood group (the Minors) after their respective ousters, why he chose Stevie Wonder’s “Master Blaster” in spite of its limited vocal range, and what exactly went wrong on his performances of “Endless Love” and “Only the Good Die Young.”

So press play below for a deep-dive into DeAndre’s “Idol journey,” then hit the comments with your thoughts. And for all my Idol news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (63)

• Look up his performance on Live with Kelly. His voice sounds so much better outside of the Idol soundstage.

Comment by Cavaknights (@Cavaknights) – April 11, 2012 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I did, and holy cow – even though it was lip synched, it was so so good. He is very very talented, and charming and I’m kind of surprised that he didn’t have the the teen girls glom onto him like glue. Oh well, it won’t matter at the end of it. He’s so good and he has such a great attitude, he’ll get there without American Idol.

Comment by JK – April 11, 2012 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HE WAS AWESOME ON LIVE WITH KELLY LIKE ALWAYS HE SHINES.GOD IS TAKEN HIM ALOT OF PLACES IN LIFE EVERYONE ENJOY THE RIDE HES ALREADY A STAR TO THE WORLD.LOVE YOU DRE YOU GO SWEETIE!

Comment by Melissa Wade – April 11, 2012 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • With any luck, LA Reid (who was also on that ep) heard him from the green room and gave DeAndre his card and told him to call him once the Idol contract is up…since Jimmy wasn’t high on him I can’t imagine them giving him a deal but LA Reid would probably be a better fit for him anyway. He sounds really good on his recordings too so I don’t get why he was downplayed so much by the show in favor of lesser talented guys. He seems like a really down to Earth good guy too…hope he does get the chance to put a record out; I think he could be more successful than some of the rest there.

Comment by Tess – April 11, 2012 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHEN DeAndre makes his record, I will buy it.

Comment by mb – April 11, 2012 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • L O V E IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Lila Mae – April 11, 2012 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seems like a pretty nice dude!

Comment by RodMod – April 11, 2012 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a doll. I hope someone is smart enought to pick him up, mentor him, and make him something special. Because he has that potential. That voice of his…my god.

Comment by Lynn – April 11, 2012 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He is so cute with a good head on his shoulders about where he wants his career to go. Idol does such a poor job of letting the viewers really know who the contestants are. They pick and choose who they want to push (Colton :( ) and the rest are left to their own devises. Wish him well in the future!

Comment by shelbybb – April 11, 2012 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very nice interview. And my thanks to Deandre for pulling back the curtain on that horrible pre-cleared songlist Idol keeps hooked up to a life support machine. After today’s story about it being the most profitable tv show it is clear that a few people at FreemantleMedia need to get fires lit underneath them to clear a LOT more songs for the show. There are also a whole lot of songs that need to be retired from competition.

Comment by Gorm – April 11, 2012 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All love to Deandre! Thank you Michael. And, yes – so tired of hearing the same songs over and over and over.

Comment by Marianne – April 11, 2012 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Deandre was in the top 2 best guys this season with Joshua. Unfortunately he was let down by two bad song choices early on that killed his momentum from the WC and Master Blaster. He’s a really talented guy though and I can’t wait to hear his music in the future.

Comment by Hugh – April 11, 2012 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks Michael for this. Love him and I hope he gets opportunities post Idol to shine. Love how you always get the Idols to loosen up around and really talk deeper about the Idol process.

Comment by ray – April 11, 2012 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great interview, as usual, Michael. Thanks for steering clear of any hair talk. I’m sure DeAndre appreciated that. I can’t wait until he puts out a CD. Several of his studio recordings are amazingly good.

Comment by Carla – April 11, 2012 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He comes across as a very nice, level-headed guy…very likable. His vocal style wasn’t my favorite on the show but he seems like a great kid with a bright future. Best of luck to him.

Comment by TheBeach – April 11, 2012 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve listened to his itunes version of Master Blaster more than any other song from this season. He’s so good!

Comment by Cara – April 11, 2012 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t care much for him on the show. Now I deeply regret not paying enough attention… he seems to be such a nice guy! When he makes an album, I’ll buy it!

Comment by Gus – April 11, 2012 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Deandre is amazing, period. The potential in his voice is off-the-charts, and I cannot wait for an album from him. This interview showed he has a mature, kind personality to go along with that voice. Hoping for great things for this young man.

Comment by HB – April 11, 2012 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I became a big fan because of the texture of his voice. I love that the profound texture and multiple shades all come out at once in a three-minute song (or in case of Idol, 90 seconds). Also, so many props to him talking about Jimmy (UGH) as well as all the de-pimping he got from TPTB with a sense of humor, gracious attitude and a smile on his face. What a kid!

Comment by yoko (@yoko71) – April 11, 2012 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everyone should at least check out his Master Blaster, Sometimes I Cry, and I Like It recordings. My husband didn’t enjoy his singing on the show, which I found insane, but he admits the recordings are amazing. Much love to Deandre!

Comment by TK – April 11, 2012 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • IF Simon C. were still on Idol, and IF Simon would have bought into Deandre’s R & B/falsetto choices (I know – a lot of “ifs”), I think he would have deemed the studio recording of “Sometimes I Cry” master-class!

Comment by Marianne – April 11, 2012 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Idol is a game, a contest, if it wasnt, this guy would win the whole thing. He is a true artist.

Comment by gailer – April 11, 2012 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll miss you Deandre. Great interview Michael.

Comment by Sunny Mc (@mcdeallover) – April 11, 2012 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1. What a great young man he is. His style isn’t my bag, but I am so glad I watched this interview. Smart and poised and a good head on his shoulders. 2. He should just model, seriously. How pretty is he?!

Comment by Holeigh (@holeigh_annie) – April 11, 2012 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha! He’s pretty! And – his style is “my bag”! Nice comment.

Comment by Marianne – April 11, 2012 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol I’ve said from the beginning that he should model. He has THE FACE! but music is his dream so he’s right to pursue that

Comment by Shana – April 11, 2012 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, Colton really brough it! (Even Skylar who I’m not a fan of did well I have to admit.) Good start.

Comment by FreeHaley – April 11, 2012 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What does the closeted gay fundie have to do with this interview with DeAndre?

Comment by huh? – April 12, 2012 02:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That was so sweet how he said he would rather sing with Jessica and Candice in the finale than his idol. He seems like such a nice and humble kid.

Comment by Lo – April 11, 2012 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wow they are all bringing it tonight! Jessica was less robot and seemed truly real for the first time. Elise and Phillip duet cool, great Elise.

Comment by FreeHaley – April 11, 2012 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with a couple of responses above me (Holleigh). What a nce guy! Good head on his shoulders (can be taken 2 ways with that awesome hair of his also). I really hope he goes far.

Comment by Jessica – April 11, 2012 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, pretty good night tonight and for the first time in a lonng time the judges didn’t drive me crazy and the show, dare I say, almost seemed honest for once. Lots of good stuff and nothing annoying from judges, in fact, they actually seemed dead on and honest about just about everything this time for once (maybe a little hard on Philip at least compared to how soft they were the other week when he seemed worse, was about the only possible quibble at all). I was just about to tune out, but tonight went well.

Comment by FreeHaley – April 11, 2012 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are you senile? What does your multiple trite comments have to do with this blog? Post it the proper place and stop hijacking. Thanks.

Comment by huh? – April 12, 2012 03:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I missed Deandre tonight and his beautiful soulful voice. This young man has it all. Massive Talent, Such a beautiful voice, Great looks, Awesome Hair and a winning, charming, down to earth personality. Come on LA Reid sign and mentor this young man.

Comment by Auby – April 11, 2012 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • WOW–It would be SUPER for DeAndre to get L.A.Reid to help’ jumpstart’ his career as a performing artist!! You have to be CRAZY not to see/hear DeAndre’s potential……..
      IMO…. DeAndre, Joshua & Jessica have been the most entertaining & gifted performers-with so much style!!!
      I hope the American Idol management assists DeAndre -while he is out there on their Summer Tour–He will probably “light up the whole stage” this summer on tour. He is just’full of life’ & FUN to watch ……….

Comment by Ellen Radeloff – April 12, 2012 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How come no recap of tonight yet?

Comment by jaime – April 11, 2012 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Deandre seems like a cool cat. I’m rooting for him to do well outside of Idol.

Comment by Pat – April 11, 2012 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He is a sweetheart and he has so much potential. I LOVE the reggae influence as well. Deandre is truly unique, wish him all the best.

Comment by Shana – April 11, 2012 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice kid.

Comment by donie – April 11, 2012 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DeAndre is the full package and he’s only just begun. I am really looking forward to see how his music career developes…that voice now and 10 years from now – WOW. I will always be a fan and support his career. Class act, kind heart, forgives with love,beautiful voice, a budding soul of a shooting star. Bravo DeAndre, bravo. Thank you for sharing your gift with America and for all that you have yet to share.

Comment by Lilly – April 11, 2012 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like him. Somebody give him a record deal.

Comment by Karen O – April 11, 2012 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with all of the positive comments above. I love this guy, just positively love him. I missed him so much during tonight’s show. I cannot wait to buy his record and see him on the tour. DeAndre.

Comment by ThemApples – April 11, 2012 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great interview! Every week, the contestants who got voted out are really able to show more of their personality on here. Well done and much success to Dre!

Comment by Layla – April 11, 2012 10:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope everything comes together for him. He really does have the whole package when the songs are right. I wish him the best of luck.

Comment by Calli – April 12, 2012 01:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d rather eat dirt then hear Deandre sing again…

Comment by James – April 12, 2012 02:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • go DeAndre Brackensick!!! you’re the best i’ll go buy your album straight away, hopefully it will come up soon :D

Comment by inkgreat – April 12, 2012 04:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A few thoughts-
    1) Jimmy is a buzz kill/confidence crusher and an all-round mean guy.
    2) Deande-you went way too early. Missing you.
    3) Rootin for ya and can’t wait to see you on the finale.

Comment by BO – April 12, 2012 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dre last night was oh so boring without you! Please contact LA Reid and discuss a record deal. He would be a great mentor for you.

Comment by Kierah – April 12, 2012 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael, You seemed to really enjoy interviewing Deandre. Care to share what your feelings are now about this young man?

Comment by CLC – April 12, 2012 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • His laugh @ 6:26 is HILARIOUS !

Comment by Kelm – April 13, 2012 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not going to lie, he became my absolute favorite because of “Only the Good Die Young.” Energetic performance and perfect vocal. But that wasn’t why I loved it.

I found it so endearing that he didn’t understand that song. It still makes me chuckle. I love the innocence.

He seems like such a sweet humble guy. I really wish I could have mentored him this season. It would have been easy to get him into the top 5. (Makes me think someone didn’t want that..coughjimmycough)

Really “sweety, take out the guitar, ukelele, or piano. Pick songs people know, and use the falsetto as an accent. Every couple of weeks we’ll give you a “moment” type song, where we either completely change it or it has a great build up where you can show your voice off.” He had all the tools to make a great run. It’s too bad he didn’t have anyone pointing him in the right direction.

Comment by Lynn – April 13, 2012 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It really would have been so simple!! The uke and ‘Turn Your Lights Down Low’. :)

Comment by Marianne – April 15, 2012 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know, the kid is more talented and better looking than all the other “white guys with guitars” that have won this show. Sure he’s biracial and plays the uke, but close enough.

Comment by Lynn – April 15, 2012 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great interview.

Deandre is a very smart kid. It was nice to hear him talk long enough to get a good sense about how well his head is screwed on. He also was able to share a lot about the show without coming across as being negative or violating the non disclosure vows etc.

Comment by Tom22 – April 16, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i am a bit in love with this guy. handsome, sweet, talented. i think that a few more years of vocal and dance lessons,a bit more maturity and he will be a serious stud and a guy with serious chances of being a successful recording artist. but he needs to take it seriously and grow as a performer and as an artist. deadnre- learn how to play the guitar, learn how to move (so u have better stage presence and look more attractive), and take some lessons to learn how to use this sweet voice of yours! u r one of the idols who have a serious chance of making it!

Comment by jiji33 – April 17, 2012 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m just getting to see this now. Man, if I had ever had kids, I would have liked one just like Deandre. What a nice, nice guy. And, I love his voice, too. Two people to look forward to seeing on the tour: Erika and Deandre.

Comment by Gina – April 17, 2012 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DeAndre you are missed on the Idol shows – - – MISSED!!!! Hoping for nothing but great things for you! What a sweetheart! Such a big heart and positive attitude – so TALENTED!

Comment by MusicFan – April 19, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am fascinated and also thinking about what you really are talking about right here

Comment by keywords – April 9, 2013 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post