GCB on the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

Come mid-May (if not sometimes sooner), the networks will be making some tough calls as to which series will return for the 2012-13 TV season, and which … won’t. As we did last spring, TVLine is singling out select “bubble” shows to survey their prospects. Next up is a freshman dramedy hoping to score a pick-up:

THE SHOW: GCB (ABC)

THE TIME SLOT: Sundays at 10/9c.

THE CASE FOR KEEPING | Satirical, twisted and campy to a fault, GCB is the very definition of a guilty pleasure. Every word out of Annie Potts’ mouth is pure gold (Gigi could have taught the Designing Women a lesson in real Southern sass) and Kristen Chenoweth is adorable-yet-ruthless as Amanda’s pint-sized nemesis Carlene. The recent introduction of Eric Winter as Amanda’s boyfriend (and Carlene’s brother!) Luke has also given GCB a push in the right direction, as their chemistry is somehow even bigger and brighter than the show’s Texan setting. And speaking of chemistry, who’s going to be the first one to pounce on that Ken Doll of a minister? We must know!

THE CASE FOR CUTTING | Let’s be honest: this show was inaccurately, and perhaps unfairly, advertised as the next Desperate Housewives. Sure it’s a fun way to end a night of great TV, but it’s not the kind of show that sticks with you long after each episode airs, as most conflicts tend to be resolved within the hour. Even the women’s high school grudge against Amanda, which was originally touted as the focus of the series, has started to lose its sizzle. As we said, the addition of Luke shows promise for the future, but will it be enough to justify the show returning for a second season?

NBC’s Whitney on the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

Vote below, then hit the Comments to make your own case for keeping or cutting GCB.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Cancellations, Commentary, Keep Or Cut, Renewals

1. Lisa says:

!!!KEEP!!!…I have come to love this show. After a long day it’s a great way to end it. Nothings better than a comedy right before bed. Please keep.

2. Jeanna says:

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Sob, sob!!! THEY CANCELLED IT!!!!! Okay, done with ABC. They don’t have any other good shows, & they kept some really ridiculous ones but cancelled GCB! DISGUSTING!!!!!

3. felicia says:

I LOVE this show!! Please bring it back!!!

4. Elaine says:

It’s just plain fun to watch. Keep it !!!

5. Jamie says:

Seriously!!!! I love this show!!!! Keep it!!! I hope someone else will pick it up!!!! they better!!!! I was so looking forward to this in the fall!!!

6. Lisa says:

Please keep GCB. I originally watched this show because I adore Kristen Chenowith. She is so talented. When I saw Annie Potts was on this show, I knew I would enjoy this. She is amazingly funny. The show did begin a little rough, but it has improved greatly with each episode. Please give it an opportunity to grow into its promise. It is not a pretentious drama, but it is clever, funny and appreciated. I laugh aloud at the humor, and I recognize many of the character types portrayed/ Keep it. And regarding the accents, they sound accurate to me (and I live in the South).

7. Joy says:

I was so looking forward to Carlene’s reaction to having this step daughter. Her comment. “you are so tall” made me burst out laughing. Can’t think of another show that makes me do that. This is a REAL KEEPER.

• WakeupNetworks says:

<I was so looking forward to Carlene's reaction to having this step daughter. Her comment. <"you are so tall" made me burst out laughing. Can't think of another show that makes me <do that. This is a REAL KEEPER.

oh I know and Charlene's first comment — how old are you because she was trying to figure out if he had an affair after they were married.. That and the final scene with Amanda and the the cleric another whole set of things to make those women go crazy along with the husbands … So much hidden agendas and innuendos The should KEEP GSB –
      and dump ALL the idiotic fixed stupid Bachelor/Bachelorettes, …

8. Joe. says:

Someone please tell me what the hell GCB stands for ????????

• Deb White says:

Good Christian B*itches! or in the “million moms” minds, it stands for Good Christian Belles.

9. angela boyd says:

Please Please Please Please keep this show it so so funny…. maybe try it on a new night or something but it….. is hot mess funny good GiGi is funny Annie Potts Rocks

10. Donna says:

PLEASE KEEP!! GREAT CAST!!
    Of ALL the horrible shows you’ve given a second chance, you should at least GIVE GCB ONE MORE SEASON to show it does have what it takes to get the ratings u!.
    It’s so nice to see GREAT ACTORS and have something more to watch than a reality show!

• WakeupNetworks says:

I so agree.. it is a great show ..the cast works so well together ,,,, always a good laugh .. they definitely did not give it enough time to even get known..

All the networks need to get rid of the awful scripted fixed and insulting reality shows. I hope GCB gets picked up by another network,,, I would watch it or dvr it every week!!!

11. Vasilli says:

Hope it stays… Best comedy/drama on tv. Very clever & naughty at the same time. Fun to watch. Pity about the short season…Please keeeep!

12. Haley says:

Ohh PLEASE Eric Winter… Keep this wonderful show alive!!!!

13. Nichole says:

I love gcb it is what I.watch now as desperate.housewives and sex and the city are gone:( I.still watch law and order svu.but since the main characters have changed I.have relied on gcb and “missing” with ashley judd to be my.top two.shows keep it and I’ll forever watch!

14. Nola says:

i say….KEEP THIS!! GCB ROCKS!!! i enjoyed it and so as other thousand teenagers out there if you cut this tv will be back to crime we have too much crime shows on tv

15. Nola says:

KEEP THIS SHOW COMING!!!!!

16. shay says:

Keep. I wanna see what is to come of Amanda. This is a very good show.

17. Elena says:

I literally DONT watch TV. I heard about this show from a coworker and have been COUNTING the days of the week waiting for Sunday to roll around so i can watch this show. Cutting this show bkus Christians themselves are too judgmental is unchristian like. It’s a GREAT TV SHOW–keep it!! If it’s too much for abc air it on another channel…. I LOVE GCB

18. Danny Hart says:

Great show loved it so much. Entertaining fun and the guys were hot what more do you want…….

19. Jonsie says:

Loved GCB. A welcomed relief from talent shows, housewives and love connections. All the ladies gave me a laugh, especially Annie.

20. Jasmine says:

KEEP “GCB” I love this show! Look forward to.it EVERY sunday. Its a great show please keep! Comedians make fun of everyone and everything so why is GCB a problem!?

• Joy says:

I have all the episodes on DVR . This is a show that makes me laugh and forget for a while the shows that are all about bad guys, let’s shoot the bad guys. :-(
      Keep GCB

21. Miss Anonym says:

Love this show, keep it!

22. sc says:

Keep the GCB’ s it was a funny show. I liked. So plz keep it!!!!!!!!!!!

23. fernanda says:

GCB is a great tv show. I really like the couples of burl and gigi and cricket and blake …. they should keep it! I need to watch the second season.

24. k says:

keep it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. I love this show says:

Please keep this show. It’s only just started in Australia & everyone I know loves it!

26. Jaime says:

Keep it, keep it, keep it!!!!! I think it’s hilarious. I love the characters and the actors are GREAT!!! It really makes me laugh! I loved it and truly hope it comes back. Nothing like a little levity on a Sunday night!

27. gabs says:

when in the heck does GCB start again i need my weekly dose already :)

28. Lauren says:

I think show is great. It gets me to giggle and it’s easy and relaxing to watch which is just what I need after a long day at work! I understand it’s not ‘quality tv’ but there are plenty of other shows for that but sometimes it’s just nice to enjoy low thinking power entertainment and that’s exactly what this is. It makes me smile and the characters are entertaining so I don’t see why they shouldn’t launch anther series.
    Most people are into less involving series and even if some of you feel it is stupid it is entertaining and that’s what matters and if you don’t like it change the chanel because it appeals to the majority.
    True blood is an sample of this kind of tv show and a lot of people were obsessed with it and others dreaded the topical it’s the way of the world, we are never meant to all agree with one another.

Cheers.

29. Joy says:

I know it ‘s not coming back but I sure miss the way it made me laugh. Big mistake cancelling it.

30. Heather says:

GCB, is the BEST show in a very long time. Something that is just a good wholesome show. Makes you forget about your crappy day and enjoy some great comedy. Absolutely love this show and WANT TO SEE MORE!!!

31. Jan says:

I love GCB!! It made me laugh and it was something I really looked forward to watching.
    I refuse to watch these so-called phony balony “reality” Real Housewives of__________ shows. When I watch a scripted show, it’s not listed as being reality.
    Everytime we get a good show, the network big shots muck things up. Look -so they are showing a horrid show now, and even signed for holiday specials. Yes, I’m referring to “Honey Boo Boo” which is repulsive and an insult to people of intelligence! Those unfortunate kids!
    It’s because of the poor decisions of the network execs that I now have other hobbies or watch movies instead of most series.

32. Joy says:

At least the show is on DVD now. I’ve bought it and will watch it and have a good laugh when the new junky talk shows, reality shows are on.

33. maree free says:

Love it! My new favourite show.
    Don’t cut it!!!! Keep it!!!!
    Makes me laugh.

34. tom says:

keep it just because its not about cops or doctors like the rest of crap that is on tv its different.

35. cayla says:

Please keep gcb best show ever…love it amazing

36. September says:

I LOVED THE SHOW & REALLY HOPE THE NETWORK BRINGS IT BACK! IF NOT ABC, I WOULD LIKE TO SEE ANOTHER NETWORK PICK IT UP. I THINK IT WAS HIGHLY ENTERTAINING & JUST AN ALL & ALL UPBEAT SHOW. PLEASE BRING IT BACK! I LOVE IT!!

37. jdoyle23@wi.rr.com says:

Total oxy moran comment’s! First off if you watched it you loved it, secondly to say u didn’t meant!! u watched 1 show..your opion don’t count! or you watched all and are embarrassed cuz u liked it! Grow a pair or shut up, use your remote and don’t comment on show’s u claim u hate/don’t watch! Nuf said..

38. Amsterdam says:

i love the show its awesomely funny and stupid a good way to forget of the stressful daily roiutine.

39. jordan says:

I loved this show it needs to come back it was hilarious i laugh every time i watch it if its about the name just change it good Christian belles isn’t bad either

40. juana wilson says:

I thought GCB was sooo fun! It was hilarious and light-hearted…..I am so sad that it’s gone. : (

41. Elaine says:

This is a truly refreshingly entertaining show! I could not believe it was canceled after just one season! Granted some people may not get it, but it certainly beats a good deal of same old regurgitated dreck that continues to be introduced as “new.”