GCB on the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

Come mid-May (if not sometimes sooner), the networks will be making some tough calls as to which series will return for the 2012-13 TV season, and which … won’t. As we did last spring, TVLine is singling out select “bubble” shows to survey their prospects. Next up is a freshman dramedy hoping to score a pick-up:

THE SHOW: GCB (ABC)

THE TIME SLOT: Sundays at 10/9c.

THE CASE FOR KEEPING | Satirical, twisted and campy to a fault, GCB is the very definition of a guilty pleasure. Every word out of Annie Potts’ mouth is pure gold (Gigi could have taught the Designing Women a lesson in real Southern sass) and Kristen Chenoweth is adorable-yet-ruthless as Amanda’s pint-sized nemesis Carlene. The recent introduction of Eric Winter as Amanda’s boyfriend (and Carlene’s brother!) Luke has also given GCB a push in the right direction, as their chemistry is somehow even bigger and brighter than the show’s Texan setting. And speaking of chemistry, who’s going to be the first one to pounce on that Ken Doll of a minister? We must know!

THE CASE FOR CUTTING | Let’s be honest: this show was inaccurately, and perhaps unfairly, advertised as the next Desperate Housewives. Sure it’s a fun way to end a night of great TV, but it’s not the kind of show that sticks with you long after each episode airs, as most conflicts tend to be resolved within the hour. Even the women’s high school grudge against Amanda, which was originally touted as the focus of the series, has started to lose its sizzle. As we said, the addition of Luke shows promise for the future, but will it be enough to justify the show returning for a second season?

NBC’s Whitney on the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

Vote below, then hit the Comments to make your own case for keeping or cutting GCB.

Tags: ,

Comments (259)

• !!!KEEP!!!…I have come to love this show. After a long day it’s a great way to end it. Nothings better than a comedy right before bed. Please keep.

Comment by Lisa – May 12, 2012 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Sob, sob!!! THEY CANCELLED IT!!!!! Okay, done with ABC. They don’t have any other good shows, & they kept some really ridiculous ones but cancelled GCB! DISGUSTING!!!!!

Comment by Jeanna – May 12, 2012 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE this show!! Please bring it back!!!

Comment by felicia – May 12, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s just plain fun to watch. Keep it !!!

Comment by Elaine – May 12, 2012 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously!!!! I love this show!!!! Keep it!!! I hope someone else will pick it up!!!! they better!!!! I was so looking forward to this in the fall!!!

Comment by Jamie – May 12, 2012 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please keep GCB. I originally watched this show because I adore Kristen Chenowith. She is so talented. When I saw Annie Potts was on this show, I knew I would enjoy this. She is amazingly funny. The show did begin a little rough, but it has improved greatly with each episode. Please give it an opportunity to grow into its promise. It is not a pretentious drama, but it is clever, funny and appreciated. I laugh aloud at the humor, and I recognize many of the character types portrayed/ Keep it. And regarding the accents, they sound accurate to me (and I live in the South).

Comment by Lisa – May 12, 2012 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was so looking forward to Carlene’s reaction to having this step daughter. Her comment. “you are so tall” made me burst out laughing. Can’t think of another show that makes me do that. This is a REAL KEEPER.

Comment by Joy – May 12, 2012 11:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • <I was so looking forward to Carlene's reaction to having this step daughter. Her comment. <"you are so tall" made me burst out laughing. Can't think of another show that makes me <do that. This is a REAL KEEPER.

oh I know and Charlene's first comment — how old are you because she was trying to figure out if he had an affair after they were married.. That and the final scene with Amanda and the the cleric another whole set of things to make those women go crazy along with the husbands … So much hidden agendas and innuendos The should KEEP GSB –
      and dump ALL the idiotic fixed stupid Bachelor/Bachelorettes, …

Comment by WakeupNetworks – May 13, 2012 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Someone please tell me what the hell GCB stands for ????????

Comment by Joe. – May 13, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good Christian B*itches! or in the “million moms” minds, it stands for Good Christian Belles.

Comment by Deb White – May 20, 2012 01:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please Please Please Please keep this show it so so funny…. maybe try it on a new night or something but it….. is hot mess funny good GiGi is funny Annie Potts Rocks

Comment by angela boyd – May 14, 2012 05:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE KEEP!! GREAT CAST!!
    Of ALL the horrible shows you’ve given a second chance, you should at least GIVE GCB ONE MORE SEASON to show it does have what it takes to get the ratings u!.
    It’s so nice to see GREAT ACTORS and have something more to watch than a reality show!

Comment by Donna – May 14, 2012 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I so agree.. it is a great show ..the cast works so well together ,,,, always a good laugh .. they definitely did not give it enough time to even get known..

All the networks need to get rid of the awful scripted fixed and insulting reality shows. I hope GCB gets picked up by another network,,, I would watch it or dvr it every week!!!

Comment by WakeupNetworks – May 15, 2012 04:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope it stays… Best comedy/drama on tv. Very clever & naughty at the same time. Fun to watch. Pity about the short season…Please keeeep!

Comment by Vasilli – May 15, 2012 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ohh PLEASE Eric Winter… Keep this wonderful show alive!!!!

Comment by Haley – May 18, 2012 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love gcb it is what I.watch now as desperate.housewives and sex and the city are gone:( I.still watch law and order svu.but since the main characters have changed I.have relied on gcb and “missing” with ashley judd to be my.top two.shows keep it and I’ll forever watch!

Comment by Nichole – May 20, 2012 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i say….KEEP THIS!! GCB ROCKS!!! i enjoyed it and so as other thousand teenagers out there if you cut this tv will be back to crime we have too much crime shows on tv

Comment by Nola – May 22, 2012 01:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP THIS SHOW COMING!!!!!

Comment by Nola – May 22, 2012 01:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep. I wanna see what is to come of Amanda. This is a very good show.

Comment by shay – June 8, 2012 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I literally DONT watch TV. I heard about this show from a coworker and have been COUNTING the days of the week waiting for Sunday to roll around so i can watch this show. Cutting this show bkus Christians themselves are too judgmental is unchristian like. It’s a GREAT TV SHOW–keep it!! If it’s too much for abc air it on another channel…. I LOVE GCB

Comment by Elena – June 8, 2012 11:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great show loved it so much. Entertaining fun and the guys were hot what more do you want…….

Comment by Danny Hart – June 12, 2012 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved GCB. A welcomed relief from talent shows, housewives and love connections. All the ladies gave me a laugh, especially Annie.

Comment by Jonsie – June 21, 2012 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP “GCB” I love this show! Look forward to.it EVERY sunday. Its a great show please keep! Comedians make fun of everyone and everything so why is GCB a problem!?

Comment by Jasmine – June 23, 2012 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have all the episodes on DVR . This is a show that makes me laugh and forget for a while the shows that are all about bad guys, let’s shoot the bad guys. :-(
      Keep GCB

Comment by Joy – June 23, 2012 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show, keep it!

Comment by Miss Anonym – June 24, 2012 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep the GCB’ s it was a funny show. I liked. So plz keep it!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by sc – July 26, 2012 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GCB is a great tv show. I really like the couples of burl and gigi and cricket and blake …. they should keep it! I need to watch the second season.

Comment by fernanda – August 15, 2012 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • keep it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by k – August 16, 2012 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please keep this show. It’s only just started in Australia & everyone I know loves it!

Comment by I love this show – August 23, 2012 12:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it, keep it, keep it!!!!! I think it’s hilarious. I love the characters and the actors are GREAT!!! It really makes me laugh! I loved it and truly hope it comes back. Nothing like a little levity on a Sunday night!

Comment by Jaime – August 28, 2012 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • when in the heck does GCB start again i need my weekly dose already :)

Comment by gabs – September 10, 2012 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think show is great. It gets me to giggle and it’s easy and relaxing to watch which is just what I need after a long day at work! I understand it’s not ‘quality tv’ but there are plenty of other shows for that but sometimes it’s just nice to enjoy low thinking power entertainment and that’s exactly what this is. It makes me smile and the characters are entertaining so I don’t see why they shouldn’t launch anther series.
    Most people are into less involving series and even if some of you feel it is stupid it is entertaining and that’s what matters and if you don’t like it change the chanel because it appeals to the majority.
    True blood is an sample of this kind of tv show and a lot of people were obsessed with it and others dreaded the topical it’s the way of the world, we are never meant to all agree with one another.

Cheers.

Comment by Lauren – September 12, 2012 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know it ‘s not coming back but I sure miss the way it made me laugh. Big mistake cancelling it.

Comment by Joy – September 12, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GCB, is the BEST show in a very long time. Something that is just a good wholesome show. Makes you forget about your crappy day and enjoy some great comedy. Absolutely love this show and WANT TO SEE MORE!!!

Comment by Heather – September 13, 2012 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love GCB!! It made me laugh and it was something I really looked forward to watching.
    I refuse to watch these so-called phony balony “reality” Real Housewives of__________ shows. When I watch a scripted show, it’s not listed as being reality.
    Everytime we get a good show, the network big shots muck things up. Look -so they are showing a horrid show now, and even signed for holiday specials. Yes, I’m referring to “Honey Boo Boo” which is repulsive and an insult to people of intelligence! Those unfortunate kids!
    It’s because of the poor decisions of the network execs that I now have other hobbies or watch movies instead of most series.

Comment by Jan – September 27, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At least the show is on DVD now. I’ve bought it and will watch it and have a good laugh when the new junky talk shows, reality shows are on.

Comment by Joy – September 27, 2012 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love it! My new favourite show.
    Don’t cut it!!!! Keep it!!!!
    Makes me laugh.

Comment by maree free – October 8, 2012 04:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • keep it just because its not about cops or doctors like the rest of crap that is on tv its different.

Comment by tom – October 8, 2012 04:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well I now have the DVD set and a family waiting to take turns borrowing it. Darned shame it was cancelled.

Comment by Joy – October 8, 2012 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please keep gcb best show ever…love it amazing

Comment by cayla – October 13, 2012 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bring it back. Too few good shows on TV at the moment IMO

Comment by Joy – October 13, 2012 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVED THE SHOW & REALLY HOPE THE NETWORK BRINGS IT BACK! IF NOT ABC, I WOULD LIKE TO SEE ANOTHER NETWORK PICK IT UP. I THINK IT WAS HIGHLY ENTERTAINING & JUST AN ALL & ALL UPBEAT SHOW. PLEASE BRING IT BACK! I LOVE IT!!

Comment by September – October 17, 2012 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree! GCB needs to be brought back!!!!

Comment by Elaine – May 20, 2013 02:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Total oxy moran comment’s! First off if you watched it you loved it, secondly to say u didn’t meant!! u watched 1 show..your opion don’t count! or you watched all and are embarrassed cuz u liked it! Grow a pair or shut up, use your remote and don’t comment on show’s u claim u hate/don’t watch! Nuf said..

Comment by jdoyle23@wi.rr.com – October 19, 2012 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love the show its awesomely funny and stupid a good way to forget of the stressful daily roiutine.

Comment by Amsterdam – November 1, 2012 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved this show it needs to come back it was hilarious i laugh every time i watch it if its about the name just change it good Christian belles isn’t bad either

Comment by jordan – December 26, 2012 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought GCB was sooo fun! It was hilarious and light-hearted…..I am so sad that it’s gone. : (

Comment by juana wilson – February 18, 2013 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a truly refreshingly entertaining show! I could not believe it was canceled after just one season! Granted some people may not get it, but it certainly beats a good deal of same old regurgitated dreck that continues to be introduced as “new.”

Comment by Elaine – May 20, 2013 02:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post