GCB on the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

Come mid-May (if not sometimes sooner), the networks will be making some tough calls as to which series will return for the 2012-13 TV season, and which … won’t. As we did last spring, TVLine is singling out select “bubble” shows to survey their prospects. Next up is a freshman dramedy hoping to score a pick-up:

THE SHOW: GCB (ABC)

THE TIME SLOT: Sundays at 10/9c.

THE CASE FOR KEEPING | Satirical, twisted and campy to a fault, GCB is the very definition of a guilty pleasure. Every word out of Annie Potts’ mouth is pure gold (Gigi could have taught the Designing Women a lesson in real Southern sass) and Kristen Chenoweth is adorable-yet-ruthless as Amanda’s pint-sized nemesis Carlene. The recent introduction of Eric Winter as Amanda’s boyfriend (and Carlene’s brother!) Luke has also given GCB a push in the right direction, as their chemistry is somehow even bigger and brighter than the show’s Texan setting. And speaking of chemistry, who’s going to be the first one to pounce on that Ken Doll of a minister? We must know!

THE CASE FOR CUTTING | Let’s be honest: this show was inaccurately, and perhaps unfairly, advertised as the next Desperate Housewives. Sure it’s a fun way to end a night of great TV, but it’s not the kind of show that sticks with you long after each episode airs, as most conflicts tend to be resolved within the hour. Even the women’s high school grudge against Amanda, which was originally touted as the focus of the series, has started to lose its sizzle. As we said, the addition of Luke shows promise for the future, but will it be enough to justify the show returning for a second season?

NBC’s Whitney on the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

Vote below, then hit the Comments to make your own case for keeping or cutting GCB.

Tags: ,

Comments (259)

• Hi my name is James Garner Wilson in Texas and i do not watch a great deal of televison …but i really like this show .I recently went through so much in my life that most would crawl under a rock and never come out from under but i keep moving forward .Saying that i just want to add how much i like this show and if the industry wants to shelf this show
    please do not because of a bunch of women who think they are perfect Christians. They want to ban this show because they think they are so perfect and they wanted the GCB to stand for Good Christian Belles instead of BITCHES ….do not be bullied by them …..i think they are afraid that their life just might be portrayed in one of the episodes …..because i guarantee someone is doing something they shouldn’t in their litlle perfect church group …..so keep the episodes coming cause it is an awesome cast and I laugh so much and I love it. I guarantee there are more of us …so do not take it off ….trust me i am from the south and boy do i have stories ….LOTS OF HIPPOCRATES

Comment by James G. Wilson – April 15, 2012 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep It!!! Love this Show! For me it is a must to watch every week! The cast are phenomenal!

Comment by jamie – April 15, 2012 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please keep this show!! It’s hilarious! I’m from Texas too and I recognize a lot of people I know in the characters! LOL I absolutely love Kristen Chenowith and Annie Potts. I think it’s a perfect comedy and I would really hate to see it go. I can’t wait till it comes on every week!

Comment by Deb White – April 15, 2012 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IN THESE TIMES WHEN EVERYTHING IS JUST BAD NEWS, THE ECONOMY, THE JOB CUTS, THE REAL ESTATE FORECLOSURES, WE NEED TO GO TO A FANTASY LAND, SOMEWHERE OR SOMETHING TO MAKES US LAUGH AND FORGET ABOUT OUR PROBLEMS. GCB DOES THAT FOR ME, IT MAKES ME LAUGH SO HARD THAT FOR A MOMENT I FEEL HAPPY… IF YOU DONT LIKE IT, DONT WATCH IT BUT DONT TAKE THE LAUGH OUT OF US WHO DO…

Comment by Anthony Kurten – April 16, 2012 12:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is just TOO fabulous to let go. It is getting better with each episode and I simply can NOT stop laughing at Gigi and Carleen. PLEASE don’t cut this one ABC.

Comment by JoshuaO – April 16, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP! I haven’t laughed so hard at an hour of television in years…4/15′s episode was flawless!

Comment by Mike – April 16, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Laugh out funny. This show is much funnier than most current sitcoms. It could turn into a big hit for ABC!

Comment by Rock Albers – April 16, 2012 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ITS PURE ENTERTAINMENT.THE ACTING IS AWESOME.LAUGHING COMES. EASY. ENJOY FOR WHAT IT IS A COMEDY OF REALISTIC FLAWS…THANKS FOR THE SERIES ABC!!!

Comment by Robert – April 16, 2012 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP KEEP KEEP. I love this show from beginning to end. It is so completely over the top, you never know what they are going to skewer next. My sides hurt by the end because I am laughing so hard.

Comment by Shawn – April 17, 2012 04:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it! Didn’t think I would like it and I haven’t missed an episode. I love it!

Comment by Monica – April 17, 2012 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love GCB! Its quirky :) KEEP IT PLEASE! Its a guilty pleasure… and as for those who are saying it is not a quality tv show.. have you seen a majority of shows out there? Would you prefer another reality tv show? Its entertainment. its a tv show for goodness sakes.

Comment by Kellee – April 17, 2012 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was ‘iffy’ on the first show, but stuck with it and now I am hooked! It is hilarious. LOVE LOVE Annie Potts and the rest of the cast. Bobbie

Comment by bobbie – April 17, 2012 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a Texan and I totally get the humor! If you understand the Texan way of life and being, then you’d love the show. It’s hilarious!!!!!

Comment by Bella – April 20, 2012 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the show it´s a total keeper … The Characters are great and it gets better every episode. Can´t wait to see the next one

Comment by Serena – April 20, 2012 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • keep!! i love this show!!! especially since its based in DALLAS my home!!!!! :D

Comment by Loren – April 22, 2012 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show is so tacky, it has to be kept… LOVE some of the one-liners

Comment by Karla Katz – April 23, 2012 04:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is my guilty pleasure! I love it. The first few episodes had been pretty slow but it has gotten SO funny! I am a devout Christian and I have not found it to be offensive at all. In fact, I think that it is good for people to see that Christian women are not “holier than thou” but like everyone we continue to struggle with being simultaneously sinners and saints. I think Amanda is the true definition of a Good Christian B*tch!
    If it gets dropped from ABC I hope another channel will pick it up. I need to have these B*tches in my life!

Comment by jerry – April 23, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • save it

Comment by CLARENCEFIELDS – April 26, 2012 10:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please keep! I’d rather watch this than all those other reality tv shows.

Comment by rj – April 26, 2012 10:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If You Want To Cancel Somthing Cancel those crazy reality shows or make them real reality. The people should either live or die if they cannot survive on a deserteted island with only a knife. Reality means reality means reality not fake reality. Survivel 50%. See hao many want to be on them when they spend 6 months on that island.One way in no way out until the end. See how many sign a release to do such a show

Comment by Anthony – April 28, 2012 03:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep GCB funny and shows truth about a lot of people.
    I am REVERAND A. GERACE

Comment by Anthony – April 28, 2012 03:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I say keep it, I only started watching it because of David James Elliott, Ripp Cockburn, but the show has really grown on me.

Comment by Filomena – April 30, 2012 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE GCB FROM START TO FINISH EVERY TIME!!!!!! PLEASE KEEP IT =)

Comment by Heather – April 30, 2012 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s the cutest Christian comedy on television. It’s typical to the world in which we live. Please, keep it!

Comment by blackburndh – May 1, 2012 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would love to see it cancelled, terrible how it degrades Christians. You would never see a show allowed to do the same for Jewish, Muslim, etc…

Comment by Sharon – May 1, 2012 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I consider myself a Christian, and I honestly don’t think it is meant to be all negative. There are some truly nice moments in the show where Christianity is shown positively. I think the show more intends to make fun of people who CALL themselves good Christians, while they are actually not good people. In this way, I don’t find the show offensive to the religion as a whole, just to some practitioners. This theory is backed up by the fact that the writer/director is an Evangelical Christian herself.

Comment by Sam – May 1, 2012 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please keep. Kristin Chenoweth was great in Pushing Daisies and then it got cancelled. I need my Kristin fix.

Comment by bobbylee – May 1, 2012 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it!!! It’s sooooo funny and cute!!! Especially Kristin!!! And it’s not offensive to Christians, it’s offensive to the Christians who act like they’re so good and do bad things because they can!!! So please keep it!!!!!

Comment by Rachel – May 2, 2012 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep It! I love this show, the characters are funny, I live in Texas and it make me proud just to live here. It is one of the few shows that actually makes me laugh!!!

Comment by carolina – May 3, 2012 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it! I finally found a show that I enjoy watching. It’s got a little of everything – suspense, romance, drama, comedy. It is hilarious!

Comment by Charlie – May 4, 2012 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The funniest show I’ve seen in a while. I definitely hope they’re picked up for a second season. It sure beats more reality tv.

Comment by Ashlee Casey – May 4, 2012 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it! this is my stress free show that let me unwind with a class of wine on sunday nights before i face the crappy week ahead. haven’t laugh so much in a while. get rid of the reality shows which just bore me to death. i only watch abc’s gcb, castle and grey’s. liking scandal but it’s always a headache to watch, i love the fun and laughter of gcb. please renew for more seasons.

Comment by sabine – May 6, 2012 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP GCB – Same with HART OF DIXIE – funny with humor that is totally in your face but also beneath the surface in the comments and looks.

Definitely cut one of the awful not really reality shows which are fixed before they even start CUT dancing with stars, bachelor bachelorette the disgusting Pad version, any of the others. Look forward to either watching or dvring this each week.

I enjoy laughing during the show.. most of the other comedies I do not enjoy these are just funny

Comment by abcneedshelp – May 6, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is crap, especially with all the phony accents…….They should never have cancelled Brothers and Sisters, not to mention I liked Pan Am much better than this trashy show……There is such a thing as too much drama…….OYE !

Comment by Todd Ski – May 6, 2012 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thoroughly enjoy this show. Annie and Kristen are hysterical. I for one hope it comes back for another season.

Comment by Erin M. – May 7, 2012 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • VA is a wanna be southern state… I’ve lived there for 2 years and couldn’t help but wonder the entire time…does anyone there own a map of the good old US of A.. seriously??!! ..Glad to be back in TX now and love the show….probably because I know quite a few over the top, hypocritical, bigotted christian “belles”. Got to know at least one to apreciate this show ;-)

Comment by Susanne – May 7, 2012 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t quite understand what you mean about VA, & a map?? Yep, I love the way the show portrays TX women, too! I’ve known 2 who grew up in TX & moved here for their job, & their accents are just as pronounced as those on GCB! Seems to me that everything from TX is bigger than life, but some people don’t seem to believe that! :)

Comment by Jeanna – May 7, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • about VA and the map- in an earlier comment someone mentioned that VA is the south..well.. as a real southerner I disagree..lol.. but I guess that’s a matter of personal opinion ;-) .. nothing too deep, just somewhat of an insider joke and yes I absolutely agree.. there’s definitely a certain breed of christian texas women that put a new meaning to “everything is bigger in TX” ..which makes the show amusing to me – everyone that has not experienced them with their own ears and eyes will watch it thinking it’s over the top satire and comedy…those in the know view it as reality tv…lol.. Only a true GC-texan B can look you in the eye and say “I’ll pray for you” and make you hear “I will stab you in the eye first chance I get and Jesus will forgive me” ..

Comment by Susanne – May 7, 2012 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Love your reply! LOL! I’m from MI, but gotta love you Texans! Have a great day, & keep watching GCB!!! :)

Comment by Jeanna – May 7, 2012 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Lol..thanks! I’ll be the first to admitt..we’re special..only not always in a good way :-/ ..oh and I forgot to mention ..as far as the last part of my reply goes..it’s not an authentic GCB “I’ll pray for you” if it’s not delivered with the authentic sweet, toothy, creepy, condescending serial killer smile! That translates to you’ve been either marked for torture or conversion or both and she can’t wait to get her girlfriends in on the job! lol… oh the stories I could tell.. but I’m sure the Reverend that posted earlier could probably beat me at that :-)

Comment by Susanne – May 7, 2012 09:54 AM PDT
  • Are you kidding? Why would you want to cut this show? It’s entertaining and those girls are hard to let go of once they’re been introduced to us. PLUS, the Amanda/Pastor ending was EPIC. How could you not want to know what’s going to happen?! And Cricket/Blake’s relationship is beyond unique! If it it’s not for them, do it for the laugh.

I was in love with the show soon after the panda pills! LOL.

Comment by Sid – May 7, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP!! It’s such a good show and the season finally was hilarious! Keep!!

Comment by Mariana – May 7, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so OTT and absurd, I love it. Cricket cracks me up.

Comment by Gérard Siebert – May 7, 2012 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If this show is not renewed for a second season it is a sin.

Comment by tvdiva – May 7, 2012 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s hilarious I love it and love everything about it especially the hot man!!!!

Comment by Me – May 8, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • save it

Comment by clare – May 8, 2012 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE this show!!! I want more at least two more seasons please! Its funny and not another reality show. They are funny and strong independent Texas women. This show actually makes sense in a world of shows that make no sense whatsoever. Not another Desperate Housewives but the ladies of of Wisteria lane make it hard to replace them but this show is awesome in its own respect and the ladies of Dallas shine in their own light.

Comment by Jenny – May 9, 2012 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just love this show, please keep it!

Comment by Alexandra – May 9, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it!!! I am such a busy mom and a lot of things to do with my time. But I look forward to my Sunday dose of GCB. Eric Winter is sssooooooooo HOT! He is better looking than Brad Pitt! I am sooo in love!! lol

Comment by Mary – May 11, 2012 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the best show ever and the first show that i have been watching faithfully. I hate reality shows we need something to give us a giggle. Keep this show!!!!

Comment by Irene – May 11, 2012 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it! Keep it! Keep it! The satire is right-on-target and makes me laugh out loud. I adore Annie Potts and Kristen Chenoweth.

Comment by Cynthia – May 11, 2012 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My girls & I enjoy watching watching Amanda go after the girls every week. We never miss it.

Comment by Joelle – May 12, 2012 02:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GCB is the funniest show on ABC. Make fun of RELIGION is fine with me!
    Done watching any ABC Shows

Comment by Miky Jones – May 12, 2012 05:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds like it’s too late, but I hope someone will wise up & decide to keep this show! I love it for sooo many reasons & many have been pointed out on here. I don’t do ” comments” often, but this matters to me! My husband I have such different tastes in TV & this is ONE of just a very few shows we both enjoy TOGETHER!!! PLEASE, PLEASE, KEEP IT!!!!

Comment by Bonnie – May 12, 2012 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think you should keep GCB it is one of those shows that is funny but also has a story to tell about things that happen in real life somewhere. The show has great actors and actress. Why do they always cancel a good show. Keep GCB!!!!!

Comment by Joyce – May 12, 2012 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • totally agree this is a great show with tongue-in-cheek humor great actresses hysterical never know how or what they are going to handle.. look forward to it every week. But of course cut a great show and keep those (not) reality fixed shows.. hope they wake up and bring it back..

Comment by WakeupNetworks – May 12, 2012 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post