GCB on the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

Come mid-May (if not sometimes sooner), the networks will be making some tough calls as to which series will return for the 2012-13 TV season, and which … won’t. As we did last spring, TVLine is singling out select “bubble” shows to survey their prospects. Next up is a freshman dramedy hoping to score a pick-up:

THE SHOW: GCB (ABC)

THE TIME SLOT: Sundays at 10/9c.

THE CASE FOR KEEPING | Satirical, twisted and campy to a fault, GCB is the very definition of a guilty pleasure. Every word out of Annie Potts’ mouth is pure gold (Gigi could have taught the Designing Women a lesson in real Southern sass) and Kristen Chenoweth is adorable-yet-ruthless as Amanda’s pint-sized nemesis Carlene. The recent introduction of Eric Winter as Amanda’s boyfriend (and Carlene’s brother!) Luke has also given GCB a push in the right direction, as their chemistry is somehow even bigger and brighter than the show’s Texan setting. And speaking of chemistry, who’s going to be the first one to pounce on that Ken Doll of a minister? We must know!

THE CASE FOR CUTTING | Let’s be honest: this show was inaccurately, and perhaps unfairly, advertised as the next Desperate Housewives. Sure it’s a fun way to end a night of great TV, but it’s not the kind of show that sticks with you long after each episode airs, as most conflicts tend to be resolved within the hour. Even the women’s high school grudge against Amanda, which was originally touted as the focus of the series, has started to lose its sizzle. As we said, the addition of Luke shows promise for the future, but will it be enough to justify the show returning for a second season?

NBC’s Whitney on the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

Vote below, then hit the Comments to make your own case for keeping or cutting GCB.

Tags: ,

Comments (259)

• KEEP, KEEP, KEEP!
    I absolutely love GCB! The dynamic between the cast wonderful. Plus it’s hilarious! The show puts a smile on my face week after week.

Comment by Will – April 11, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it!
    It is to funny to cut!
    Love the cast they are all funny funny ladies
    I do agree with the fact that the show needs a better plot but its a new show I say give it some time to grow!

Comment by desertstar3 – April 11, 2012 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cut! Kristen Chenoweth is just plain annoying.

Comment by K – April 11, 2012 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh I love this show it is the next despreate housewives. I hope abc renews it. I had no idea it was on the bubble my niece and I never miss an episode. We love it.

Comment by Peter – April 11, 2012 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am tired of the serials are nothing but doctors solving cases and brooding or police solving cases and brooding…the world is bad enough and we can all watch the news to see this stuff in real life. It is nice to have a little campy irreverence on TV without having to watch it on the CW network. GCB is closer to true southern life than Hart of Dixie is and it is a lot funnier. I had my parents watching it with me for the first time last week while I was visitng them and my father couldn’t stop laughing and shaking his head…because it reminded them of our church!

Comment by TWCSR – April 11, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t agree with you more. I watch so many serious shows, it’s nice to have one that’s just pure FUN. It’s campy and doesn’t take itself too seriously and I love that. I really hope they keep it.

Comment by Fran – April 12, 2012 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • THANK YOU!!! Couldn’t agree more!!! Sooooooo sick and tired of all these legal/cop dramas and reality T.V. crap out there. It’s nice to sit down to something fluffy and light hearted for a change!! Guess it’s too hard for some people to find a sense of humor! Hope GCB stays!!!

Comment by Ari – April 13, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was all set to hate it based on the promos, but it’s become a favorite! Witty, sparkling, nice acting. Keep, keep, keep!

Comment by PFitzDC – April 11, 2012 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I say keep it but cut Leslie Bibb. Her character is boring and I find myself fast-forwarding most of her scenes. Or have her become a “mean girl” with the others and pick on someone else. Her woe-is-me-I’m-just-misunderstood act is stupid.

Comment by Carrie – April 11, 2012 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t disagree more. I love the fact that Leslie Bibb is so hot and so down-to-earth at the same time. She is perfect in this role.

Comment by Gerald – April 11, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show…

Comment by Sarah – April 11, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it! GCB is hilarious!

Comment by K – April 11, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it for all the above reasons and the fact that I am in Love with Leslie Bibb (not stalker love, just really enjoy her onscreen)

Comment by Gerald – April 11, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I friggen love all the camp in GCB , I very much hope it gets an additional order !

Comment by Joseph – April 11, 2012 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP IT! This show is wonderful. Very witty. I’s hilarious and the cast in amazing. You have Cheno, Aspen, Potts and some very hunky men. The writing is very good aswell. KEEP IT

Comment by Yoshi – April 11, 2012 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show is just ok. I say cut to make room for some new shows. Or bring back Pan Am.

Comment by Nicki – April 11, 2012 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it

Comment by Brandy – April 11, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 78% of the vote is for “keep it” and I’m with them. It’s a good show and has potential. It needs to take over DH’s timeslot next fall to do better.

Comment by robinepowell – April 11, 2012 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it. It’s so fun and silly. I love it!

Comment by Liz – April 11, 2012 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP THIS!!!! It’s so much fun.. is it perfect? No. But that’s part of it’s charm. And the people who are calling for it’s death are just the people who obviously don’t get it. The crap on that show really goes down with the church crowd sometimes, lol.
    It’s ratings have been holding steady, so I really hope it stays.

Comment by Danielle H – April 11, 2012 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s the reason for wanting to cancel GCB? It’s in a good time frame because the children are in bed; therefore, it can’t be blame on sending the wrong message. In my opinion because it’s not a reality show then it’s not classified as a ranking booster. Get off the pot ABC not all of us like reality shows.

Comment by Diana – April 11, 2012 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it! Awesome show.

Comment by Christine – April 11, 2012 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is so witty and has best one liners it must remain! I don’t care how good the other pilots are or how much butt Marc Cherry is kissing!!

Comment by davidsask – April 11, 2012 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CUT!!

Way too religious!!
    No real excitement between cast! Not a strong cast

Comment by Jasmeen – April 11, 2012 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Where is the show religious????? Yes they are in a church and quote scripture, but they are NOT pushing religion in any way, shape or form. Love the show and to me it is a keeper.

Comment by Rashan Johnson – April 12, 2012 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Since when is religion a bad thing? If they can have a reality show about young Muslim women, why should there be protest about a show showing Christian women?

Comment by Sam – May 1, 2012 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP it! SO nice to have an hour long show that isn’t overly serious (like most procedurals) and has real comedy. Crickey and Blake are the BEST part of the show. No wait, I love Sharon. And Gigi. OK… I love them ALL!

Comment by Averic – April 11, 2012 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it! It’s a good show, not just for women. The show makes you laugh, move it to Fridays or something, but keep it in the fold…put it on Wednesday nights at 10/9 p.m. It would go good with family comedies done on Wednesday.

Comment by Michael – April 11, 2012 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see it get another season; it’s one of my two or three favorite shows on TV right now. It’s meant to be over-the-top and campy(hello, this network also houses Revenge, which is setting a gold standard in over the top this season) and I think the cast is peerless to a fault. Plus it has one of the best relationships on TV in the form of Cricket and Blake.

Comment by ChrisGa – April 11, 2012 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it! Cheno rules! And I just love all the girls– every week there is more to love about this show! They need a new hair stylist tho….js

Comment by Allison Nisbet – April 11, 2012 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I say keep it, its a fun show and every episode in my opinion has been funnier and funnier.

Comment by juan – April 11, 2012 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really want it to stay on. Its so much fun and I love Kirsten Chenoweth and her ball of crazy character. Also the men on that show are TO DIE FOR. They are all so hot and I have had a crush on all of them at one time or another in the past. LOVE GCB.

Comment by blahblahforj – April 11, 2012 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think i’ve ever been so disappointed in a show in a long time — it really shows how great desperate housewives is — just not a show that has characters you care about. Scandal is much more fun

Comment by kim – April 11, 2012 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it! It’s satire that has me laughing more than the Big Bang Theory has in a long time. You don’t have to be from the South to recognize the characters…those women could be many of the clique women from the small town where I live. Keep it up!!

Comment by Michael – April 11, 2012 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Part of me would want to keep GCB maybe even For mid season. Cause I like the comedy and I like the cast and the relationships and it has potential to go in a lot of direction story wise.

But i think renewing Cougar Town and Scandal should be priority.

Comment by Ram510 – April 11, 2012 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I started watching out of curiousity of the OMM intolerance and fell in love with the show. I enjoy the dialogue, the Texas style, the clothes, the soap opera nature, the music, the fun lines. I am enjoying it , watching every Sunday and tellling others to watch it. I am very disappointed at the intolerance of the complainers who are criticizing the show in the name of Christianity. Intolerance is not very Christian. You have a remote control just switch the channel. There are hundreds of shows on TV and I doubt they all meet everyone’s standards.
    It’s a fun show, with talented fun actors. Keep it on!!!

Comment by Lena – April 11, 2012 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep! So incredibly funny (and at times, very accurate).

Comment by A. – April 11, 2012 11:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep most def! So funny…when you think it can’t get any better….it DOES! Such a GREAT show! KEEP…KEEP…KEEP!

Comment by Crystal – April 12, 2012 12:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch for David James Elliot! Each episode he gets maybe 2/3 minutes screen time. If they don’t increase his screen time. I am all for cutting this show.

Comment by SanaA – April 12, 2012 03:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it. it is definitely a guillty pleasure and it has really gotten better each week. it is entertaining and pure fluff- and there is nothing wrong with that. As much as I loved Lost and Fringe, not every show needs to be like that. I would definitely cut Private Practice (a show I have watched from the beginning) in favor of this. At least this show is getting better each week, whereas PP is getting more and more painful to watch each week. If it wheren’t for Cooper and Charlotte, I would give up on it immediately.

Comment by SLDA – April 12, 2012 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would much rather have mindless laughter than slaughter death murder any day of the week. There is enough murder “mystery” to fill a landfill & it’s on every day of the week which is way too much. GCB serves up a lot of laughter, sass, & is a wonderful addition to the lineup. Annie Potts is fabulous & cast perfectly… KEEP IT!!! There isn’t anything good to watch but this. I just love this show.

Comment by Rene Bartlett – April 12, 2012 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep! I’m A minister and as I see it reminds me of Pias Christian Non Christians. They claim to be christians But have no tolerence for anyone different than them. So this potrays it as I have seen,and many do not.THe lose of an eye for an eye is good. It means unerstanding.

Comment by Anthony – April 12, 2012 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely love this show. Please keep it, it has improved greatly since the first episode. I live in the South and know some GCB’s !

Comment by Deb – April 12, 2012 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s FUNNY…..reminds me of SOOOO many people I’ve known over the years….

Comment by John – April 12, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I find it enjoyable and I will keep watching, but I would sacrifice it to save other shows I love that are on the bubble (but those are mostly on FOX and the CW so…. :P)

Comment by mia – April 12, 2012 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is so funny and clever. I love it.
    I do agree that they need something that ties things together a little more. Maybe a mysterious bad person blackmailing everyone? So far, we have seen that everyone has their secrets, but there are no real consequences to do.
    Surprisingly, Blake and Crickett are the highlight on this show for me. Their parts are my favorite. And this is coming from someone who adores Kristen Chenowith.

Comment by Mandy – April 12, 2012 10:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE KEEP! GREAT SHOW

Comment by Aleana – April 13, 2012 04:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE KEEP! KEEP! LOVE THIS SHOW

Comment by ALEANA – April 13, 2012 05:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only good recent comedy to come out of ABC, but they probably will not keep it because in all honesty American audiences for general cable down there are very backwater i have noticed,like for instanced a New York city Councillor calling for a boycott of the show because it pokes fun at christens. If this show was produced on HBO it would probably be around for the next five years minimum.

Comment by Clavicatusa – April 13, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Crazy about GCB, One of the funniest programs on TV this season, Getting really tired of stations cutting great shows after only the pilot season, cutting this one though would annoy me enough to wipe ABC from my channel line up.

Comment by Kimberly Glass – April 14, 2012 06:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP! KEEP! KEEP! KEEP! PLEASE

Comment by Aleana – April 14, 2012 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omg! You cancel it, I die!

Comment by dylan – April 14, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it, please! One of the best new shows of 2012. It’s fresh and funny, and has plenty of room to grow. Not to mention beautiful eye candy in Luke and Blake, and even Ripp. I thought it was going to rip right-wing fanatics apart, but it has turned out -so far- to be trying to draw a line down the middle. Smart. Plus, there’s so much more to this show than Christians and cute men. It’s a keeper!!!

Comment by Marie Christine – April 15, 2012 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE THIS SHOW!♥ ITS HILARIOUS AND ALL THE CHARACTERS ARE BELIEVABLE BY THE AMAZING ACTRESSES AND ACTORS THAT PORTRAY THEM :) PLEASE DON’T TAKE THIS SHOW AWAY!!!!!!!!! :(

Comment by Helena – April 15, 2012 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show will never be anywhere as good as Desperate Housewives was when it first aired. I don’t know what kind of a person would like the GCB but it is typical entertainment froth that has no substance whatsoever.

Comment by Dianna – April 15, 2012 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post