GCB on the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

Come mid-May (if not sometimes sooner), the networks will be making some tough calls as to which series will return for the 2012-13 TV season, and which … won’t. As we did last spring, TVLine is singling out select “bubble” shows to survey their prospects. Next up is a freshman dramedy hoping to score a pick-up:

THE SHOW: GCB (ABC)

THE TIME SLOT: Sundays at 10/9c.

THE CASE FOR KEEPING | Satirical, twisted and campy to a fault, GCB is the very definition of a guilty pleasure. Every word out of Annie Potts’ mouth is pure gold (Gigi could have taught the Designing Women a lesson in real Southern sass) and Kristen Chenoweth is adorable-yet-ruthless as Amanda’s pint-sized nemesis Carlene. The recent introduction of Eric Winter as Amanda’s boyfriend (and Carlene’s brother!) Luke has also given GCB a push in the right direction, as their chemistry is somehow even bigger and brighter than the show’s Texan setting. And speaking of chemistry, who’s going to be the first one to pounce on that Ken Doll of a minister? We must know!

THE CASE FOR CUTTING | Let’s be honest: this show was inaccurately, and perhaps unfairly, advertised as the next Desperate Housewives. Sure it’s a fun way to end a night of great TV, but it’s not the kind of show that sticks with you long after each episode airs, as most conflicts tend to be resolved within the hour. Even the women’s high school grudge against Amanda, which was originally touted as the focus of the series, has started to lose its sizzle. As we said, the addition of Luke shows promise for the future, but will it be enough to justify the show returning for a second season?

NBC’s Whitney on the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

Vote below, then hit the Comments to make your own case for keeping or cutting GCB.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Cancellations, Commentary, Keep Or Cut, Renewals

1. Will says:

KEEP, KEEP, KEEP!
    I absolutely love GCB! The dynamic between the cast wonderful. Plus it’s hilarious! The show puts a smile on my face week after week.

2. desertstar3 says:

Keep it!
    It is to funny to cut!
    Love the cast they are all funny funny ladies
    I do agree with the fact that the show needs a better plot but its a new show I say give it some time to grow!

3. K says:

Cut! Kristen Chenoweth is just plain annoying.

4. Peter says:

Oh I love this show it is the next despreate housewives. I hope abc renews it. I had no idea it was on the bubble my niece and I never miss an episode. We love it.

5. TWCSR says:

I am tired of the serials are nothing but doctors solving cases and brooding or police solving cases and brooding…the world is bad enough and we can all watch the news to see this stuff in real life. It is nice to have a little campy irreverence on TV without having to watch it on the CW network. GCB is closer to true southern life than Hart of Dixie is and it is a lot funnier. I had my parents watching it with me for the first time last week while I was visitng them and my father couldn’t stop laughing and shaking his head…because it reminded them of our church!

• Fran says:

I couldn’t agree with you more. I watch so many serious shows, it’s nice to have one that’s just pure FUN. It’s campy and doesn’t take itself too seriously and I love that. I really hope they keep it.

• Ari says:

THANK YOU!!! Couldn’t agree more!!! Sooooooo sick and tired of all these legal/cop dramas and reality T.V. crap out there. It’s nice to sit down to something fluffy and light hearted for a change!! Guess it’s too hard for some people to find a sense of humor! Hope GCB stays!!!

6. PFitzDC says:

I was all set to hate it based on the promos, but it’s become a favorite! Witty, sparkling, nice acting. Keep, keep, keep!

7. Carrie says:

I say keep it but cut Leslie Bibb. Her character is boring and I find myself fast-forwarding most of her scenes. Or have her become a “mean girl” with the others and pick on someone else. Her woe-is-me-I’m-just-misunderstood act is stupid.

• Gerald says:

Couldn’t disagree more. I love the fact that Leslie Bibb is so hot and so down-to-earth at the same time. She is perfect in this role.

8. Sarah says:

I love this show…

9. K says:

Keep it! GCB is hilarious!

10. Gerald says:

Keep it for all the above reasons and the fact that I am in Love with Leslie Bibb (not stalker love, just really enjoy her onscreen)

11. Joseph says:

I friggen love all the camp in GCB , I very much hope it gets an additional order !

12. Yoshi says:

KEEP IT! This show is wonderful. Very witty. I’s hilarious and the cast in amazing. You have Cheno, Aspen, Potts and some very hunky men. The writing is very good aswell. KEEP IT

13. Nicki says:

The show is just ok. I say cut to make room for some new shows. Or bring back Pan Am.

14. Brandy says:

Keep it

15. robinepowell says:

78% of the vote is for “keep it” and I’m with them. It’s a good show and has potential. It needs to take over DH’s timeslot next fall to do better.

16. Liz says:

Keep it. It’s so fun and silly. I love it!

17. Danielle H says:

KEEP THIS!!!! It’s so much fun.. is it perfect? No. But that’s part of it’s charm. And the people who are calling for it’s death are just the people who obviously don’t get it. The crap on that show really goes down with the church crowd sometimes, lol.
    It’s ratings have been holding steady, so I really hope it stays.

18. Diana says:

What’s the reason for wanting to cancel GCB? It’s in a good time frame because the children are in bed; therefore, it can’t be blame on sending the wrong message. In my opinion because it’s not a reality show then it’s not classified as a ranking booster. Get off the pot ABC not all of us like reality shows.

19. Christine says:

Keep it! Awesome show.

20. davidsask says:

This show is so witty and has best one liners it must remain! I don’t care how good the other pilots are or how much butt Marc Cherry is kissing!!

21. Jasmeen says:

CUT!!

Way too religious!!
    No real excitement between cast! Not a strong cast

• Rashan Johnson says:

Where is the show religious????? Yes they are in a church and quote scripture, but they are NOT pushing religion in any way, shape or form. Love the show and to me it is a keeper.

• Sam says:

Since when is religion a bad thing? If they can have a reality show about young Muslim women, why should there be protest about a show showing Christian women?

22. Averic says:

KEEP it! SO nice to have an hour long show that isn’t overly serious (like most procedurals) and has real comedy. Crickey and Blake are the BEST part of the show. No wait, I love Sharon. And Gigi. OK… I love them ALL!

23. Michael says:

Keep it! It’s a good show, not just for women. The show makes you laugh, move it to Fridays or something, but keep it in the fold…put it on Wednesday nights at 10/9 p.m. It would go good with family comedies done on Wednesday.

24. ChrisGa says:

I would love to see it get another season; it’s one of my two or three favorite shows on TV right now. It’s meant to be over-the-top and campy(hello, this network also houses Revenge, which is setting a gold standard in over the top this season) and I think the cast is peerless to a fault. Plus it has one of the best relationships on TV in the form of Cricket and Blake.

25. Allison Nisbet says:

Keep it! Cheno rules! And I just love all the girls– every week there is more to love about this show! They need a new hair stylist tho….js

26. juan says:

I say keep it, its a fun show and every episode in my opinion has been funnier and funnier.

27. blahblahforj says:

I really want it to stay on. Its so much fun and I love Kirsten Chenoweth and her ball of crazy character. Also the men on that show are TO DIE FOR. They are all so hot and I have had a crush on all of them at one time or another in the past. LOVE GCB.

28. kim says:

I don’t think i’ve ever been so disappointed in a show in a long time — it really shows how great desperate housewives is — just not a show that has characters you care about. Scandal is much more fun

29. Michael says:

Keep it! It’s satire that has me laughing more than the Big Bang Theory has in a long time. You don’t have to be from the South to recognize the characters…those women could be many of the clique women from the small town where I live. Keep it up!!

30. Ram510 says:

Part of me would want to keep GCB maybe even For mid season. Cause I like the comedy and I like the cast and the relationships and it has potential to go in a lot of direction story wise.

But i think renewing Cougar Town and Scandal should be priority.

31. Lena says:

I started watching out of curiousity of the OMM intolerance and fell in love with the show. I enjoy the dialogue, the Texas style, the clothes, the soap opera nature, the music, the fun lines. I am enjoying it , watching every Sunday and tellling others to watch it. I am very disappointed at the intolerance of the complainers who are criticizing the show in the name of Christianity. Intolerance is not very Christian. You have a remote control just switch the channel. There are hundreds of shows on TV and I doubt they all meet everyone’s standards.
    It’s a fun show, with talented fun actors. Keep it on!!!

32. A. says:

Keep! So incredibly funny (and at times, very accurate).

33. Crystal says:

Keep most def! So funny…when you think it can’t get any better….it DOES! Such a GREAT show! KEEP…KEEP…KEEP!

34. SanaA says:

I watch for David James Elliot! Each episode he gets maybe 2/3 minutes screen time. If they don’t increase his screen time. I am all for cutting this show.

35. SLDA says:

Keep it. it is definitely a guillty pleasure and it has really gotten better each week. it is entertaining and pure fluff- and there is nothing wrong with that. As much as I loved Lost and Fringe, not every show needs to be like that. I would definitely cut Private Practice (a show I have watched from the beginning) in favor of this. At least this show is getting better each week, whereas PP is getting more and more painful to watch each week. If it wheren’t for Cooper and Charlotte, I would give up on it immediately.

36. I would much rather have mindless laughter than slaughter death murder any day of the week. There is enough murder “mystery” to fill a landfill & it’s on every day of the week which is way too much. GCB serves up a lot of laughter, sass, & is a wonderful addition to the lineup. Annie Potts is fabulous & cast perfectly… KEEP IT!!! There isn’t anything good to watch but this. I just love this show.

37. Anthony says:

Keep! I’m A minister and as I see it reminds me of Pias Christian Non Christians. They claim to be christians But have no tolerence for anyone different than them. So this potrays it as I have seen,and many do not.THe lose of an eye for an eye is good. It means unerstanding.

38. Deb says:

Absolutely love this show. Please keep it, it has improved greatly since the first episode. I live in the South and know some GCB’s !

39. John says:

It’s FUNNY…..reminds me of SOOOO many people I’ve known over the years….

40. mia says:

I find it enjoyable and I will keep watching, but I would sacrifice it to save other shows I love that are on the bubble (but those are mostly on FOX and the CW so…. :P)

41. Mandy says:

This show is so funny and clever. I love it.
    I do agree that they need something that ties things together a little more. Maybe a mysterious bad person blackmailing everyone? So far, we have seen that everyone has their secrets, but there are no real consequences to do.
    Surprisingly, Blake and Crickett are the highlight on this show for me. Their parts are my favorite. And this is coming from someone who adores Kristen Chenowith.

42. Aleana says:

PLEASE KEEP! GREAT SHOW

43. ALEANA says:

PLEASE KEEP! KEEP! LOVE THIS SHOW

44. Clavicatusa says:

Only good recent comedy to come out of ABC, but they probably will not keep it because in all honesty American audiences for general cable down there are very backwater i have noticed,like for instanced a New York city Councillor calling for a boycott of the show because it pokes fun at christens. If this show was produced on HBO it would probably be around for the next five years minimum.

45. Kimberly Glass says:

Crazy about GCB, One of the funniest programs on TV this season, Getting really tired of stations cutting great shows after only the pilot season, cutting this one though would annoy me enough to wipe ABC from my channel line up.

46. Aleana says:

KEEP! KEEP! KEEP! KEEP! PLEASE

47. dylan says:

Omg! You cancel it, I die!

48. Marie Christine says:

Keep it, please! One of the best new shows of 2012. It’s fresh and funny, and has plenty of room to grow. Not to mention beautiful eye candy in Luke and Blake, and even Ripp. I thought it was going to rip right-wing fanatics apart, but it has turned out -so far- to be trying to draw a line down the middle. Smart. Plus, there’s so much more to this show than Christians and cute men. It’s a keeper!!!

49. Helena says:

I LOVE THIS SHOW!♥ ITS HILARIOUS AND ALL THE CHARACTERS ARE BELIEVABLE BY THE AMAZING ACTRESSES AND ACTORS THAT PORTRAY THEM :) PLEASE DON’T TAKE THIS SHOW AWAY!!!!!!!!! :(

50. Dianna says:

This show will never be anywhere as good as Desperate Housewives was when it first aired. I don’t know what kind of a person would like the GCB but it is typical entertainment froth that has no substance whatsoever.