GCB on the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

Come mid-May (if not sometimes sooner), the networks will be making some tough calls as to which series will return for the 2012-13 TV season, and which … won’t. As we did last spring, TVLine is singling out select “bubble” shows to survey their prospects. Next up is a freshman dramedy hoping to score a pick-up:

THE SHOW: GCB (ABC)

THE TIME SLOT: Sundays at 10/9c.

THE CASE FOR KEEPING | Satirical, twisted and campy to a fault, GCB is the very definition of a guilty pleasure. Every word out of Annie Potts’ mouth is pure gold (Gigi could have taught the Designing Women a lesson in real Southern sass) and Kristen Chenoweth is adorable-yet-ruthless as Amanda’s pint-sized nemesis Carlene. The recent introduction of Eric Winter as Amanda’s boyfriend (and Carlene’s brother!) Luke has also given GCB a push in the right direction, as their chemistry is somehow even bigger and brighter than the show’s Texan setting. And speaking of chemistry, who’s going to be the first one to pounce on that Ken Doll of a minister? We must know!

THE CASE FOR CUTTING | Let’s be honest: this show was inaccurately, and perhaps unfairly, advertised as the next Desperate Housewives. Sure it’s a fun way to end a night of great TV, but it’s not the kind of show that sticks with you long after each episode airs, as most conflicts tend to be resolved within the hour. Even the women’s high school grudge against Amanda, which was originally touted as the focus of the series, has started to lose its sizzle. As we said, the addition of Luke shows promise for the future, but will it be enough to justify the show returning for a second season?

NBC’s Whitney on the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

Vote below, then hit the Comments to make your own case for keeping or cutting GCB.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Cancellations, Commentary, Keep Or Cut, Renewals

1. Nick says:

I already cut it from my schedule, so…Cut. Sorry!

• wrstlgirl says:

Same here, it’s just unwatchable for me. Not my thing.

• gcem says:

I say cut, also, but this show seems to be right on par with what passes for the “average” viewer wants these days, so it’ll probably be kept. So much for “quality” television.

• r0ckmypants says:

Yes, because if YOU don’t like it, it’s not quality.

• KevyB says:

True dat… I almost stopped watching it but continued just because of Kristen Chenoweth and the show improves every week. I decided it was a keeper at the ball where everyone dressed like famous Texans and Amanda was Farrah Fawcett in the one-piece and in certain scenes she was sitting there in a famous Farrah pose. It had nothing to do with the plot but was such a clever bit, something we rarely get on supposed comedies.

• Melissa says:

Agreed who’s to say what quality tv is its nice seeing a show that’s fun sassy and not so dang serious it’s nice that the problems solve within the hour it reminds of the shows I watched as a kid with a spin of 2012 we have tons of cop/crime shows and sex driven shows this show is safe to be playing if my children pass through the room!!

• Brenda says:

What do you want, another reality show?

• Joy says:

i guess that puts me among the dumbed down average viewer. Ah well, at least I sit back and have a good laugh while GCB is on. Makes a change from all the guns shooting at anything that moves and too much disecting bodies

• Anthony says:

What do you call good TV? Most want stupid so called reality shows, A steaming bunch of C**P. Or Perhaps You like good shows Say gunsmoke,The big Valley, Bonanza, Little house on the prairie. Shows like these that stand the test of time. But I think not.9 out of 10 people think reality shows are real. Let them make a real reality show, one where the prize is walking out of it alive. Put 5 people in a jungle with no way out until they come a year later. 1 problem, Noone would compete. If all they have is a knife and their witts. That I would like to see.

• Nick Vannatten says:

I know it’s hard for most American viewers to wrap their heads around a smart, funny and well written show. If its not a cartoon or it takes an iq above 85 most of America cannot keep up. The saying is 100% accurate if it’s good say goodbye. Abc always cuts great show for instance life was great, my own worst enemy another amazing show. Problem is shows that u have to use your brain to keep up do not have a chance. Let’s have another dumb cop show!!!! Booooo keep Gcb!!!

• Nan says:

Really true. It’s a very smart and funny show. One of the few where I actually laugh out loud at.

• Jeanna says:

Unfortunately, much of what you said is true! I’m so tired of the same old same old, relating to silly young people & their love lives, or all the catty reality ‘housewives’ shows, or ‘dad’s an idiot’ family shows, etc. GCB is about the only comedy, other than the GREAT ‘The Big Bang Theory’, that’s any good. NCIS, Criminal Minds, The Closer, In Plain Sight (& the last 2 are ending), all the Law & Orders, The Good Wife – I still love those, but ‘TBBT’ & ‘GCB’ are just great, & I feel both should go on & on, like “I Love Lucy” & “MASH” did. AND, I am not dumb, IQ is way above 85; don’t chew gum; am a Christian; &, I love needing to use my mind, & not just my eyes, to watch TV. Like a good book, if you don’t have to think, it’s probably not worth your time… :)

• Lisa G says:

I agree, Jeanna. I truly enjoy GCB. I am well educated (four degrees, incl a masters), and I am a Christian. I enjoy NCIS and many of the Law and Order franchises. I mourn the upcoming losses of The Closer and In Plain Sight, but I love shows that are clever, humorous without mean spitefulness, and do not resort to stupidity for “humor”. I get so tired of shows that reach out to the lowest common denominator for a “joke”. I miss the days of shows like “The Dick Van Dyke Show” and “Bewitched”. As Jeanna cited, The Big Bang Theory is one such show that is clever and calls for the viewer to think to keep up. I will add Hot in Cleveland to that list as well as reruns of That 70s Show. Otherwise, there is little to attract me to the television. Kristen Chenowith and Annie Potts are the reasons I first checked out the show, and they are amazing. The rest of the cast is so strong, though. Chemistry is definitely forming. Give it a chance to grow. I wish the same had been done for the likes of Pushing Up Daisies. That was a hilarious show!

• Tammy says:

I like the show :) It is fun and neat. It does not contain a lot of dram like the other shows.

• gcbfan77 says:

If you already cut it, odd you would bother to care and post a comment

• Nancy Ferrell says:

STUPID SHOW!!!!!’mn. Hate it!,,

2. Kate says:

I had the opportunity to read an early draft of the pilot script. I thought, “This show is so bad, it will never get made.” How surprised I was when A) GCB ads showed up everywhere and B) the actual pilot was even WORSE than the script!

Cut it. It’s a mercy kill.

3. ena says:

Keep it please?! GCB is laugh out loud funny!!!

• Leola says:

Agree! I laugh out loud during every episode. Can’t say that about a lot of shows. My fav guilty pleasure.

• Russ says:

Just keep it long enough for the gay guy to come out and get a hot boyfriend. Other than that I won’t be too disappointed if it gets cut.

• Linda says:

Agreed it is a great show. I am sick of the reality TV crap! This makes you laugh and just enjoy!

LInda

• Tracy says:

I am with you, there are way to many reality shows…I think GCB is great and very entertaining. It should not be taken off the air, there are always going to be people out there who have something negative to say about everything.

• Teresa says:

I agree..and I love that it is not another reality show!! Keep the laughs coming it is refreshing!

• Anna says:

I agree 100% with the laugh out loud! I caught myself laughing out loud several times which is a nice change from the violence and crime shows. Keep it!!

4. Jake says:

I say keep it and cut the people who make dumb posts on TVLINE.COM.

5. Joe says:

Keep – if only for the goddess that is Kristin Chenoweth.

• Cathy says:

Exactly, love her!

• Jeanna says:

She’s great, isn’t she? I’m a heterosexual female, so I’m not saying this because she’s beautiful & sexy. She’s smart & witty & a terrific actress & singer. I first saw her on “The West Wing” & loved that character! When she’s in something, she truly becomes the character. I don’t feel like I’m watching an actress act, & as far as I’m concerned, that’s a rare talent, & the mark of a truly good actor/actress. (Still having trouble with the non-sexual term ‘actor’…) :)

6. Nolajersey says:

I love it! Keep!

• bobbie says:

KEEP! I look forward to sundays when it comes on. I agree its laugh out loud funny and I’m not the one to go to church. I never got into the desperate housewives but I do love GCB!

7. Jess says:

Keep! I’m really enjoying it! It’s not my favorite show, but my Sunday night 10pm needs something after Brothers & Sisters finished…

8. Amy says:

Keep. I like it.

• Karen says:

me too. I am so sick of the reality shows. This one made me laugh from the start.
      Both me and my granddaughter love it. Bridged the generation gap. We watch it together and just laugh. Karen Rotschy

9. George says:

I’m kind of torn. Although I like the show, I like a lot of the other “bubble” shows on ABC as well (Scandal, Private Practice, Cougar Town (yeah, I know this on is only 30 min)), and of that group I would probably be least sad about GCB being cancelled…

• the girl says:

When you put it like that, it makes me want to change my vote. I would kill this show in favor of any of the others you named. Private Practice has gotten so smart and adult recently, and GCB is not anywhere NEAR as funny as Cougar Town. Scandal has a lot of potential in my opinion, way more than GCB does.

• Dizzle says:

Agree with all of this! Private practice has developed over the last couple of years to a fine adult drama, and made a great companion to the “frothier” Greys Anatomy. Scandal – and Kerry Washington – has a lot of potential, and it’s great to have a political series back on the air. Likewise, Cougar Town is hands down one of the funniest shows around. GCB isn’t good enough as a drama to
        Compete with Shonda’s two series, and isn’t funny enough to compete with Cougar Town.

• lavgodfather says:

private practice is a fizzling spin-off which is as dry and fruitless as Addison Sheppard’s uterus. Scandal has already launched itself into absurdity faster than Kerry Washington’s introduction of Ms. Pope. Cougar town is hilarious, and so is GCB, keep it and get your other drama from any one of the 6 law and orders

• Ari says:

Because there aren’t enough legal/police dramas out there already! BORRRRING!! Cougar Town has its moments, but imo, not nearly as funny as GCB! I think people just expect wayyy too much nowadays!

10. bad kevin says:

Keep GCB and more Kristin Chenoweth.

11. Kim says:

It is cute and funny and I LOVE Annie Potts, it is so nice to have her back on TV. Plus it isn’t like there is anything else on Sunday nights that GCB is keeping off the air!

12. Keep it, definitely. It’s one of my guilty pleasure shows. It doesn’t take itself too seriously and it’s an easy watch. Nice little show to end the weekend with!

13. xwiseguyx says:

Excellent show and great chemistry with the characters – actually – my favorite is Cricket (loved her in Swingtown as well)… This should be kept…

14. Kathy says:

This show is fun and mindless entertainment for women and it should be kept!

15. LInda says:

If it is a choice between Body of Proof and this, I say cut GCB and keep Body of Proof, JMHO.

16. Danny says:

I’d say cut, if only because I know “Private Practice” is lingering on the bubble, and ABC seems to like the dreadful “Scandal.”

“GCB” is okay, but even the final season of “Desperate Housewives” is more must-see than than “GCB.”

17. Billy says:

Cut this; keep SCANDAL!

18. Isis says:

Gigi and Cricket make this show great. Love it when Kristin sings. She needs to sing in every epi. Adding Eric was a bonus to the show. Hope they keep it.

19. Alice says:

I love it! And I never watched Desperate Housewives, so they are bringing in new viewers to Sunday night. I agree with the author that Luke was a much needed addition.

• chanel says:

I agree. I have tried to watch Desperate Housewives a few times and cannot get into it. I love GCB though and look forward to it every week. I am a christian and am not offened by it all, like some others try to say. I love this show and hope it stays for a long time.

20. Brandi says:

I LOVE GCB! I’ve so missed Annie Potts and she is comedic gold. Being from the South, I definitely know women who are at church every chance they get and put a great face forward but are sneaky and kind of cutthroat. I think there is a great deal of honesty about how women treat each other but its just a lot of fun to watch. KEEP IT!

21. Sue says:

Hope it stays!!!! It’s been really good!!!!

22. finch says:

Love this exaggerated look at life in Texas. Keep it, keep it, love it.

23. PWade says:

Cut it. Painfully unfunny, lazy and broad. While I admire ABCs effort to make a satiric soap ala Desperate Housewives, they couldn’t have made it worse. Its characters are shrill and cartoonish, the comedy is flat and straight up stupid (just adding whimsical music in the background does not make the show any funnier, ABC), and the drama is duller than what Desperate Housewives has been serving this season. Which says a lot.

I hope ABC rather focuses on renewing Cougar Town and Scandal. Shows that actually try to be ambitious and not just rethread old plotlines from ABC circa 2006.

24. Boyer says:

Hope it stays not many shows on tv make me laugh, and this one does.

25. David says:

I’m torn too. I love both Kristin Chenowith and Annie Potts. But the rest of the characters are a little too cookie-cutter for my taste. And there is just somrthing about the writing that just doesn’t click for me. Overall, it’s a bit too contrived.

26. This show is pure campy, irreverent light hearted fun. Even the drama isn’t that dramatic and every episode wraps up neat and satisfying. It’s like eating a bon bon, there is nothing at all nutritious and you can’t eat it all the time but man is it delicious while you’re eating it. I think the problem with the show is that they billed it like it was going to be Desperate Housewives and it’s totally not. It’s not a dramady, it’s not really serialized and it’s not really a statement show. It’s just an enjoyable hour of comedy and sometimes it’s nice to have that to look forward to in a week.

• Jeanna says:

Wow Lauren! You’re totally right! I never thought of it that way, but you really gave a great definition! Altho, rather than a bon bon, I think it’s more like a wonderful chocolate Lindsor Tort, or Ghiradelli mint square… LOL!

27. JJ says:

Cut it.

Look at the ratings. They’ll only decline.

ABC botched the launch of the show by aligning it so closely with the put it out of its misery Desperate Housewives. They described it as being like DH and air it after it so the dwindling audience for DH can help to NOT make GCB a hit.

Brilliant ABC.

And then there’s the title.

Cut it.

28. M says:

I love GCB. I think it has really begun to fins its tone and footing. The characters are sometimes outrageous, but they have also done a great job making them more than 1-note. Especially in the case of Blake and Crickett. The relationships (familial, romantic, friendship) are very endearing and intriguing. I’d love to see more.

29. Cindy says:

Keep it. I love it!!! Need more Eric Winter please

30. Jane says:

Keep it! It’s funnier than most comedies on the air right now.

31. Rolfe says:

Keep it! I really think they show could find its voice in season two.

32. Pam D says:

It makes me laugh, and there really isn’t a lot to laugh about these days. Please keep it; I adore Annie Potts and love Kristin Chenoweth. I’ve lived in the South all my life and see a lot of people that I’ve known in these characters. I think it will only get better.

33. Velvet says:

Keep it! Annie Potts and the rest of the cast is fabulous. The show is good fun.

34. Justin says:

I find it hilarious

35. QJ201 says:

Keep it. Annie Potts is just working for that next emmy. The casting is perfect.
    …and if ABC cancels it…well I won’t have to DVR whats on HBO or SHO at 9 and 10pm on sunday anymore.

36. jackie says:

keep it!!! i simply love the way they poke fun at christians!!! definitely entertaining!!! kristen chenowith is both adorable and hilarious!!! this is a keeper!!!

37. Che says:

I’d rather watch Pan Am.

38. mimi says:

Frankly I can’t stand the fake accents for longer than the 5 seconds it takes to locate my remote control & change the channel.

39. dude says:

I say keep. The show hasn’t started out strong (but then again, I lost interest in Once Upon a Time too and came back to it later in the season) but it’s definitely improving each week and the cast is phenomenal. I love the relationships and characters and I think with a little time GCB will be one of the best soaps on televison. It’s quickly become the show I look forward to watching most on Sunday nights.

40. John Berggren says:

Anything that keeps Kristen Chenoweth, Annie Potts, and Miriam Shor on my TV each week is a good thing.

Of course if they wanted to relaunch Pushing Daisies and move all 3 ladies there, I’d be good with that too.

41. Aleana says:

KEEP! KEEP! KEEP! KEEP! LOVE THIS SHOW

42. Amy says:

Cut please. I miss Pan Am!

• John Berggren says:

The status of GCB will not impact the status of Pan Am. It’s grounded. I wish it lived up to its promise, but it never did.

43. Diz says:

Cut, I watched first two episodes in full, but now I just find myself skipping through each episode in 15min.

44. matthew c says:

Please keep it. It is a fantastic show.

45. I thought the pilot was not that great, but since then every episode has been a hoot and a holler. I say keep it. There are so few things that genuinely make you laugh out loud on tv, the these comedic actors are terrific.

46. dan says:

Keep it! I loved it when Kristen Chenowith said, “I’m always looking for ways to appear more life-like.” Annie Potts is great on the show, too.

47. Patrick Tripp Maloney says:

I say keep but I really want to see an improvement

48. Nicky says:

KEEP IT! I love this show. It cracks me up. I never got into Desperate Housewives, but this show I like.

49. A says:

Keep it! I really enjoy the show and think it’s hilarious. Make Eric Winter and the actor playing Pastor Tudor regulars. And actually show Blake’s life at the ranch.

50. Ana says:

GCB was never meant to be Shakespeare in the park. It’s mindless, harmless, over the top entertainment and it works as such. Annie is just pure comedic gold and I love Kristen. They are the reasons I watch. Plus, there are hints of sweetness and a bit of drama like Cricket’s ‘beard’ marriage. It’s kind is sad but at the same time they have such a deep understanding of each other and such a unweavering commitment to their family that its nice to see. Plus, they are hilarious together. That scene in the last epi when they took the ‘natural’ herbs had me rolling on the floor. Keep GCB. It’s better than other crap on tv. Besides, ABC should give it a chance considering that they chose to unveil it at the worst possible time, like Scandal. Gotta wonder what the heck the programmers were thinking.

• Joy says:

Well put. I watched when it first came on to see what it was about. Went ‘good grief ‘ at the opening scene then started laughing. Keep it. It is hilarious