Fox Benches Breaking In For May Sweeps

Fox is cutting Breaking In‘s second season short.

The network announced late Wednesday that it was pulling the struggling Christian Slater comedy from its Tuesday night schedule for the remainder of the season.

On April 24, May 1 and May 8, Breaking In‘s post New Girl 9:30/8:30c timeslot will be filled by repeats of, you guessed it, New Girl. A Fox rep says the remaining episodes of Breaking In‘s second season will air “at a later date.”

The series — which was brought back to life at the last minute over the summer — drew less than 3 million viewers in its most recent telecast on April 3.

1. Lance says:

Outrage, dare I say.

2. Rob says:

It was a mercy killing. This season has been so horrific compared with the last that I can’t even imagine what the producers were thinking.
    In other news, does Odette Annable win some kind of award for having 2 shows canceled out from under her in the same season?

• wordsmith says:

I love this show, but I kind of have to agree about the quality. Most of the changes seem to have made the show worse, not better. Especially, no offense to a great actress, the addition of Megan Mullaly.
      I understand they were going for a whole Michael Scott – Office vibe, but it REALLY isn’t working. The fact that it allowed them to add Molly is some consolation, but it’s not enough to make up for it, particularly with the departure of Odette’s character.

• Rob says:

I agree. You can’t blame Megan Mullaly. She was playing the character she was given. I blame the producers and writers not the cast.

• jenna says:

I agree, I really liked the show when it first aired but couldn’t get past the first 2 episodes with the new cast

• cathiecat says:

I agree completely. Everything that was fun about this show died with the changes. The faux sexy Megan, demoted Christian, etc. — disasterous rewrite. I would prefer season 1 reruns to this stuff.

• nicky says:

Couldn’t agree more. Megan Mullaly is awesome, but making Veronica the boss of previously omniscient and unfallible Oz just didn’t make sense plotwise. It destroyed the whole character dynamics of the show. They should have brought her in as a new employee or maybe someone’s relative. That would have added to the character mix instead of destroying the vibe.
        Also, season one has set the geek-appeal bar very high. Season two didn’t really measure up in comparison when it came to jokes and pop culture references.
        My guess is that the creators (or the network?) believed the low ratings during season one were due to people not understanding some of the jokes and/or disliking some characters, and so they changed that. But the truth is, ratings during season one were low because most people only ever found out that the show existed after it was already cancelled. And all of them said they loved it when shown some episodes. So, the smart way to go about season two would have been to keep things as they were, because people clearly liked it that way. I bet ratings would have been way higher then.

• Todd says:

I agree with the sentiment that this season is not good. The decision to make it a primarily office-based comedy and changing the status of Oz really wrecked the show.

Losing Michael Rosenbaum was also a big blow to the series.

• Spikenalabama says:

This show was really good last season. This season has just been painful to watch. TPTB should have just left it alone!

3. Jen says:

Not cool at all. Love this show. Fox can’t cancel it a second time :(

4. Lisa says:

and they wonder why it struggles? leave it on the air! stupid!

5. Hyde says:

Friggin Megan Mullally or whatever the crap her name is KILLED this show. Horrible casting decision. Horrible.

6. PaulH says:

The Christian Slater TV series curse continues…

7. Kosmo says:

Breaking In isn’t very good anymore anyway. Odette is gone, they don’t do “capers” anymore. It doesn’t deserve a timeslot. The first season was excellent though, they should have left it alone.

8. Katrina B. says:

No, that’s just not fair. Breaking In was starting to get really good. They had the Alyssa Milano episode coming, Melanie was suppose to be coming back, and the Heathers episode hadn’t aired yet.

9. Jrs says:

Okay , casting people, do you get the message yet? NO more Christian Slater!!! Got it?

• Sg.Grant says:

Shiiiiiiit. No more Megan Mullally.

• TWD says:

Christian Slater was not to blame for the cancellation of this show. He played Oz perfectly. The show was great. I couldn’t wait for it to come back. Then they cast what ever her name is, and screwed the vibe all up. Do not blame Christian Slater for this!! Blame the writers and the network!!!

10. Abe says:

The first season cast was perfect. Adding Megan Mullally and her British assistant have not helped. I’ve been losing more and more interest as the new season went on. I’m not surprised by this. Such a shame.

11. Alex says:

I was a fan of the show the first season, but the quality just went way down this season. Have they actually, uhhh, broken into anything?

12. Jeff says:

This season has been a shell of what the show used to be

13. TV Gord says:

Although I enjoyed it last season, the surprise second-season renewal really shocked me! After watching this season’s episodes, I wonder why they bothered. Megan Mullally’s arrival turned this into just another office comedy. I’m kind of glad they’ve put it out of my misery.

14. Alex says:

Noooo. Why, Fox? I agree that the show hasn’t been as good lately (the first season was pure gold) but give it a chance.

15. cjeffery7 says:

Not even Meghan Mullally can save this dud.

16. JeffDJ says:

Pulling it? I didn’t even realize it had cone back. I kinda liked the previous season, but it sounds like I shouldn’t even bother with this season.

17. Janet Marie says:

I loved the 1st season, now, not so much!

18. mug5330 says:

His last show The Forgotten was great. The problem with most shows now, is that they take so many breaks that fans don’t know when there are going to be new episodes. As a fan of quite a few shows, it is frustrating. It is easier to deal with because I just DVR only the new episodes, but if a show were to go straight through without breaks (unless its Christmas, Independence Day, or New Years), viewership would grow for every show. Just some thoughts.

• Avi says:

I agree with you. It’s become very trendy to have multiple long breaks(5+ weeks)in the spring as well as in the fall. I know that long breaks have caused me to drop shows before. Sometimes you find a better show to watch. It’s dangerous territory to send a show on hiatus.

19. Linda Lou says:

I tried so hard to like this show, I really like the actors. It’s not them. I can’t sit through it anymore.

20. I blame FOX for canceling it the first time. It was PERFECT, and then they decided to cancel it for most likely some very irrational reason and decided to bring it back and “rework” it. If they hadn’t canceled it the first time, the original cast and plot would’ve likely remained as it was – perfect. I don’t mind the new cast members, but I think introducing them and the new plot was too soon. Thanks, but no thanks FOX. In the end, you did not do this show any favors!!

21. tash says:

That’s a shame (though I figured as much when no episode aired last week), the latest episode was actually a huge improvement of the other episodes so far this season, and started to show shades of the awesomeness that was season 1. Was really hoping to see the Alyssa Milano ep. Loved her as Oz’s wife.

22. Kristine says:

Sad to say I don’t blame them. They’ve ruined it with the changes. When it was first on, it was clever and hilarious and then they changed the cast and it tanked. Never should have messed with it.

23. George2k says:

The Christian Slater TV series curse continues…

• Kristine says:

Don’t blame Christian Slater curse for this one. FOX screwed with the formula and tanked the show. They didn’t want it back in the first place so they probably did it intentionally.

24. not_the_same_anymore says:

I didn’t agree with the cancellation after season one, but I also didn’t agree with the direction of the show after they renewed it. Megan Mullally would normally be great casting (she’s super talented and funny), but the character she played seemed to ruin the format of the show. Without any capers and frankly, nothing else ‘breaking in’ related, the show was nothing more than an office comedy without any funny jokes. I was willing to stick with it for now until Odette Annabelle (gorgeous and talented) left the show so abruptly. With so many casting changes and the entire point of the show being more or less ignored, I’m not surprised it’s being cancelled again. It was worth a shot though. Fox, this time though, leave it dead and buried.

25. Jenny says:

:( Sad day!

26. Richie says:

Michael Rosenbaum made this show good. Another show he left that went downhill after his departure.

27. Heather says:

Oh sad day! Maybe they should`ve kick started it for the summer. I really wish that MR had returned for the 2nd season. Let`s hope that they eventually put it back on later.

28. Chris says:

I enjoy the show but there are a few things that are missing that the first season had, one is Melanie and two is going out on actual jobs and doing work. It seems like all the episodes so far are about getting to know the new people without doing any security work.

29. Evan says:

As usual, Fox decides to mess with a show the internet/geekscape loved because they think we’re not really worth getting behind. Taking all the parts that were loved about the show and throwing them out is NOT a way to make things better!

Just make sure you put out the complete series DVD of both seasons so I can enjoy and see how its all supposed to end.

30. angela says:

Yeah, Fox didn’t give this show a show. The funny thing about this is that the womanization of this show was their idea. Like the rest of you, I prefer the first season and I’ll always be able to hold THAT with me, not so much for season 2. Sucks because I heard some missions were coming soon.

31. tsi431 says:

DDDDUUUUUTTTTTCCCCCHHHHH

32. Mimi says:

Sadly, the premise and title of the show were lost with the second season. Breaking In…they haven’t done any this season. The intricate plans to break in to places were some of the best parts of season one.

33. Lisa says:

This season hasn’t even felt like the same show, no jobs, no Dutch. They just ruined it by changing everything :p

34. Liz says:

I enjoyed the first season, but after seeing a few clips of this season, I had no interest anymore. It looked like a different show with those changes. I also didn’t care as much for it since it didn’t have Dutch.

35. sarah says:

I watched the show last season but when they cut back the episode order and then cancelled the show and then brought it back without some of the original cast I did not tune in this season and then to get benched to me sounds like they should not have brought it back. I am a huge Christian Bale fan but he just has not luck with tv, 3 shows in 4 years have not lasted!

36. Thionite says:

They changed too much. We don’t want a “The Office” clone. We wanted crazy capers and the omnipotent Oz. The Veronica character doesn’t work, Mullally is forcing it. What they need is a caper episode where Oz gets back control of the comany by bringing back the old cast. And they can keep Erin Richards.

37. Talmidge Mcgulliger says:

It really needs Dutch back, he stole the show.

38. Ruby says:

Well it might help if Fox advertised it at all…This is the first I’ve ever heard of this show, and it’s not like I don’t pay attention to TV. Then again, the only things I watch on Fox are Idol and Fringe, because I gave up trying to follow any of their other shows since everything gets canceled so quickly.

39. William says:

cancelled again im guessing?

40. Stormcrow says:

I like this show, but the new boss woman, whatever her name is, is just terrible. She annoys me. They took most of the fun of the first season and grafted some crap instead. Sorry to see it leave.

41. Brendan says:

This show should have never came back without Michael Rosenbaum on board.

42. reebus856 says:

I’m disappointed that in trying to resurrect this show, they sabotaged it from the start. Oz should have always remained the boss along with his motley crew headed by Cameron & Cash. Michael Rosenbaum as Dutch should have been brought back at least as a recurring character. As good as Megan Mulally is, her talents were wasted here. Perhaps Veronica should have appeared as an arch nemesis[security co.] I’ve liked Christain Slater over the years, but he really needs some help negotiating for a TV show that will last. Breaking In HAS potential if they could find a show runner/producers/writers that really want to produce good quality sit-com. Maybe they could pitch it along side of Wilfred on FX[also owned by Fox] for the same 12-13 ep. run in basic cable.

43. Martim says:

I would like to see that (alongside Wilfred)

44. Martim says:

or with Anger Management

45. cacusc98 says:

That’s too bad. I actually got a few of my friends and family to watch this “season” and they loved it. AND I was really looking forward to the “Heathers” ep. Shame on you FOX… but after this, I guess I am done with this network.

46. RandomJ says:

They made a funny 1st season which I was mad about being cancelled an annoying 2nd season which I’m begging to be cancelled…
    I bet the geniuses who changed the show into another annoyingly stupid show is getting promotions and bonuses for their great work…

47. I laughed and smiled plenty with the first season; however, this one has just felt like someone was deliberately trying to kill it. I’d be pushed to laugh out loud once during an ep. I very much missed Dutch and Megan Mullaly’s character felt jammed into the show. It just didn’t feel the same or better. I’m sad to say it, but it deserves cancellation if it were to keep on like that anyways.

48. Dave says:

Why does the world hate Christan Slater?! Don’t worry bro, I still love you.

49. Bean says:

This show was great in the first season. I have watched the second season but have not been happy about it. Megans character doesnt fit the show. The show is about breaking in to test security and that whole concept hasnt even been shown.
    Liked the show originally. Put it back the way it was!

50. Sen says:

First House ends this summer, then Terra Nova cancelled, then Breaking In got fu*ked up this season, and then you give us sh*t like Alcatraz and Touch while putting Fringe in the line of fire??? All you dusches at Fox care only about American Idol and other reality sh*t. Thanks, but no thanks, Fox.