General Hospital Cheats Death as ABC Instead Ends The Revolution Talk Show

The Revolution will no longer be televised — as of July 9 — as ABC has elected to snuff the daytime self-improvement show, our sister site Deadline reports.

As such, ABC’s last remaining soap opera General Hospital, which was at risk of being sent to the morgue upon the September 10 arrival of Katie Couric’s daytime talker, has a new lease on life and will thus live to celebrate 50 years on air come April 1, 2013.

General Hospital Puts Another One Life to Live Vet on Contract

Filling the gap from The Revolution‘s end to Katie‘s debut will be GMA In the Afternoon, a companion show of sorts to ABC’s morning program.

What do you say, GH fans? Are you thrilled to dodge that bullet (unlike pregnant Carly was able to when Sonny popped her in the noggin)?

1. Kate Garner says:

I saw this coming! And I am thrilled!

• Kim R says:

I saw this coming as well. I was The Chew every day and when the beginning of The Revolution would start I would just feel irritated. :) I knew it wouldn’t last. I’m looking forward to Katie’s show. Her guest hosting stint on GMA last week just reminded me how good she is at the interview format.

• Kim R says:

“watch” The Chew….oops!

• CJ says:

The Chew and The Revolution are like that Star Trek episode where the transporter split Capt. Kirk into 2 opposite people: The Chew is all the light, fun elements of a daytime talk show, while The Generation is all the heavy, tedious parts of a daytime talk show. I can’t imagine why they thought a show entirely about sad people undergoing self-help techniques would appeal to a mass audience.

• chris meller says:

I agree with your comment about turning off The Revolution after The Chew. Love The Chew but I can’t stomach The Revolution.

• tom schleis says:

This is so true. The Revolution is just not good television – not a good mix of hosts, etc. All least The Chew is entertaining, and there are good recipies to be learned. Just thrilled that The Revolution is gone!

• Jen says:

All of the girls in the large Medical Practice I work in are pleased as punch!!!!! We watched ABC all day until these shows took over! If we are forced to be faced with another talk or reality show at least we still have GH!!! I’ve been watching since 1980! I love that they are blending in some OLTL characters as well. Once again, Kudos to ABC for having the good sense not to mess with a WINNER!!!!!

• priscilla says:

I could not agree more, I too, was so distresed having my favorite soap opera,” All My Children” cancelled after being a faithful viewer since it’s start. I must say that i do like “The Chew”, but would feel irritated when “The Revolution” replaced, ” One Life to LIve” and I felt cheated. Looks like many of us saw this coming. Am looking forward to seeing Katie.

• Lisa Schreiber says:

you all are far more kind than I, I simply changed to other networks for soaps once my shows were cancelled. I thought idea of watching another filler show like the view or the talk tedious. I am very happy they not only renewed the only abc daytime show (general hospital) worth watching, but its incredible!

• VICKILOU GREENLING says:

I have turned to other networks as well Catie is no Victoria…ABC is good now for MORNING NEWS and DANCING WITH THE STARS….other than that it offers nothing for me any more IF they take off General I will TOTALLY GO TO CBS AFTER THE MORNING NEWS

• Sheron Stanfield says:

I don’t know what is going on with ABC. I tape General Hospital, but otherwise I am boycotting ABC. I now have great soaps on CBS. I don’t think they will betray their faithful viewers like ABC. I wish Katie luck, but will not watch her o ABC.

• Carol says:

I will NOT watch Katie fakey.

• Barb says:

Truthfully, I am not a fan of The Chew, The Revolution or Katie Couric but I do love GH!! I’m hoping it will be around for a long time to come!! It’s a shame the networks have dropped the soaps the way they have!! It has been a big let down for soap fans!!!!

• Ellie Caputo says:

I agree. I love general Hospital. I have been watching it since the early 70’s. I love that they brought Todd over and Starr is perfect for Michael. I am disappointed that they took off the long running and very popular soaps for more fitness and reality shows. They dominate every channel and time slot. I thought TV and movies were to escape into an unreal world to forget the woes of everyday life. I am so sick of the fake reality shows and all this fitness stuff. And Katie is so BORING. Im sorry, what is she going to bring to TV that isn’t already done by some other show? It will either be about hollywood, food or fitness. YAWNNNNNN!!!! I grew up when cartoons were wholesome like bugs bunny, not all this sci fi violent cartoons. TV was supposed to take you places you can’t go in real life. to explore your imagination or escape the daily grind for an hour or three. I watch less and less TV everyday because it is all about hollywood sex, food or fitness.

• Harriet Russo says:

I am glad to see that GH is bringing back past characters. I only hope it is not the beginning of the end of the show. I started watching in high school in the 60’s with my grandmother. I would rush home to watch with her. She is gone now, but everyday I watch, it’s like she’s at my side. GH feels like family and I would really miss it if it goes off the air. Hopefully, ABC will keep it on,
            it’s a tradition.

• Kim says:

I totally agree! These new shows that ABC has put on are a joke! I am so trilled that General Hospital will be staying on the air. I have watch it for over 32 years without missing one episode!! I only watch the morning news and General Hospital during the day on ABC. I will not watch the chew in protest to taking off All My Children!! Glad to see that GH WILL be able to celebrate their 50th birthday on April 1, 2013. At least the big wigs at ABC did something right – keeping General Hospital!!!!!! YEA!!!!!

• Sheron Stanfield says:

I agree totally. If it was not for the soap fans, where would ABC be? We made you and we plan to take you down. The other stations would love to have your viewers. If you take down General Hospital, just how long do you think you will last?

• Randa says:

Don’t watch any daytime show on ABC except General Hospital.Katie can go to a different network.They canceled OLTL & AMC. Be a true soap fan!!

• Faith says:

I agree!!! Have not watched any of the new shows on ABC and if they ever cancel General Hospital I will no longer watch ABC

• Janet Wilson says:

She should be good she had bounced around and around until she finally landed at ABC when no other venue would have her. Another stupid talk show, when will ABC learn we are tired of the talk shows they bring nothing new to the board. Take a look at the run time the soaps have had how many talk shows can say they have been on any channel 50 years. Wheather you watch them or not the soaps must havd had something that people liked. At least they were not canceled in the first year. Maybe when all the top exec’s at ABC are gone due to a lose of money they will listen to the popular voice.

• Bonita Simpson says:

I have watched GH since its first day. I am very happy it’s renewed and will still be part of my day. It’s gotten me through a lot over the years.

• crystal jones says:

how lucky are you?? i have bn watching since i was 8.. i am now almost 40!!!

• Judy Whitney says:

Not to brag, but I’ve been watching GH for 43 years……but I’m 65….LOL

• The only good thing ABC has on is general hosptial, never watch the chew, so glad GH is staying on

• Catherine says:

I’m so glad to see your post! Do you remember Angie Costello and her big Italian American family? I loved them. I was young and there were so few ethnic families on TV. It was great.

• i am 56 i have been watching since i was 12 almost as long as it has been on and please brag GH is the bomb it’s the only reason i have to watch tv anymore these days these talk shows put me to sleep

• Bonnie says:

I totally agree – I am just thrilled that GH will not be canceled. I, too, have watched GH since day one. Thanks ABC for making the right decision.

• Barb A. Veronica says:

I am so, so happy that General Hospital is staying on. That’s the only thing that I look forward to on abc during the day anymore. I am SO SICK of reality shows (except Big Brother), loose weight, eat this, don’t eat that, exercise, medical this, medical that, take this vitamin, take that one, etc., etc.! It’s all you see on every channel! ENOUGH ALREADY!!! One show here and there – fine, but it’s EVERYWHERE! THANK YOU FOR GENERAL HOSPITAL…take me away Sonny and Jason! lol

• VICKILOU GREENLING says:

AND NOT ONLY THAT How many news shows so we need….SICK of the reality shows, take a page from CBS…..I was so loyal for yrs…not any more!

• Barb says:

Amen to that! Something’s wrong with all these so-called realities shows that keep popping up! It’s ridiculous! I’ve been a fan of GH for more than 40 years, as numerous other fans!

• Cheryl says:

I too am very Happy GH, is a survivor, I swear if they mess with it I will quit watching ABC all together. I have watched it for 50 years and I watch it to relax. I cant stand Katie she is way to condescending for my taste. We don’t need more people telling us how to live in this economy, we need an escape.

• Carol says:

Totally agree. When my kids were little General Hospital was my down time while they napped. If it is replaced with yet another talk show I will just turn off the TV

• Janet Wilson says:

I am with you I have watched General Hospital from the first day when Steve, Audrey and her sister Lucy were all on and it was black and white LOL. I also watched One Life to Live and All my Children from day one. I no longer stay tuned in to ABC except for General Hopital. They even lost Monday Night Football. You better start listening to your fan base ABC or you will no longer have to worry about what show you cancel.

• janeen says:

I had a bad feeling also, I was so happy, like a new born baby….LOL

• barbara harris says:

ME TOO…enough of all these reality shows..
      I am a big fan of GH for more years than I can remember………
      Good decision, ABC, finally………..

• mary jo merola says:

I’m thrilled to hear this news, I’ve been watching GH since I was little and I sill love it!!!

• bring back all my children and one life to live we need our soaps not talk shows they stink and will not work 5million fans that want our soaps back

• "T" says:

The view the chew and the revolution can all go bring back ALL MY CHILDREN and keep them OFF my GH!!!!!

• Teresa Coats says:

Miss All My Children and One Life To Live Sooo much . So glad to read that General Hospital is staying on the air Never watched the Chew or the Revalution and never will !!!! MISS MY Soaps!!!! B

• Madonna Porter says:

you are so right. Now that I am retired (I still keep busy) but I enjoy my down time by watching my soaps. And if I am looking forward to see the next day, think about how long I will live. (lol)

• Mary says:

Can’t stand either the Chew or the Revolution so I made my own resolve turn off the TV! Much happier now.

• Over It says:

I realize that most of the comments are coming from true Soap fans…I get that. I am one that was grateful for having a job during the day just so i wouldn’t have to watch the soaps. i agree that there is now a saturation of talk shows, but I like The View and The Chew, The Revolution I won’t miss. I am also not looking forward to Katie Couric’s show in the fall. I guess I will do what I did when I was working and was at home…put a movie in the DVD player!

• Martie says:

After the cancellation of AMC and OLTL I have changed the chanel to Fox News. If Iwant reality TV it might as well be news. ABC now gets 1 hour of my viewing time. If they cancel GH, they will have none.

• Jean Akers says:

I have been watching ABC soaps for years except for a small break recently (due to all of the cancellations). I am thrilled. I was beginning think that it was a waste of my time to watch anything relating to soaps due to all the cancellations.

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH. I was really looking forward to that 50 year reunion. I can remember my mother watching in thke 60’s while she ironed. She is deceased but having this one show stay on makes me feel closer to her.

Thanks so much

• Grace Anobile says:

Not to be mean, but Katie’s guests* for her first premier week were already “has beens” and she is no Oprah if going by the by the name of her show means anything. I vowed not to watch “The Revolution” and Katie after the ABC’s decimation of daytime TV never realizing how awful the new shows were.

They execs or PTB at ABC must think viewers of daytime TV are real idiots and believe it when we say we watched/watch the soaps at night using a modern invention called the DVR or can you believe it!!!, online! if we busy during the day. BTW, did anyone notice that Soapnet is still on cable?

*according to endless commercials for her show during GH

2. Bobbi says:

I’m a Days fan, not a GH fan but I am thrilled for my fellow soap opera lovers! Fantastic news!

3. blufeet says:

I am happy about this news but would have been happier if they didn’t cancel AMC and OLTL for the crappy revolution and chew.

• diane says:

Amen. Such a void in my afternoon/evening without AMC…Just rewatched the final episode. Will we ever have a final conclusion?!

• cilla sumner says:

I agree with you…I was a fan of both but OLTL was my favorite…I was heart broken to find out they were being cancelled….But I am happy that I get to see my favorite character’s Todd,Starr,Blair and John on General Hospital…..They need to quit bringing all these crappy shows on here and bring our soaps back.Since they cancelled OLTL General Hospital is the only show I will watch on ABC.Besides General Hospital I have boycotted the rest of ABC.

• Debbie Mason says:

Why do they think we want to watch hour after hour of talk shows, food shows and just plain boring shows all day long on ABC. I can’t believe canceling all the soaps was a good move. I barely turn the TV on anymore during the day except to watch General Hospital. And when I do watch daytime TV, I change the channel to the other soaps. It doesn’t take long to get involved with their daytime drama. BRING BACK ALL THE SOAPS ON ABC!!!!

• Debbie says:

I’m with you, I wish they would dump The Chew as well, I want my soaps back. That will never change. I will never watch a soap replacement. I can’t stand Katie Couric and I want be watching her either. She’s to stuck on herself for my taste.

• Pauline says:

what is this world coming too???? It was bad enough they cancelled AMC and OLTL and even have to consider cancelling GH…. I’m so glad that the Revolution failed, I only wish that the Chew would fail also, so we can get back the stories that have set the pace for our day! I’ve also watched these soaps since I was a teenagers and now I’m in my 50’s. Producers and networking stations should consider the viewers feelings… just saying

• laura doll says:

how many freakin talk shows are they going to try to cram down our throats,and how many reality shows are they going to try to cram else where before they learn that they have screwed up horribly? if they cared anything about the people who are keeping them in their jobs then they would have cut the soaps back to a half an hour for a while to try to figure out what was going wrong. did that ever cross their stupid minds? no only the god almighty dollar. the other soaps are still on the other channels,well most of them are and ill bet they have most of your viewers from 1 til 2 in the afternoon now . hows that working for you? i have never watched the chew or the revolution and i never will. if i wanted to watch a cooking show i would turn on one of the cooking channels.and at two oclock i turn on the talk on one of the other channels…. katie couric is not a replacement and noone is going to watch this show of hers any more than they watched her other show that went belly up.

• Tonya says:

I’m with you on that one. I won’t ever watch the chew or the revolution. I’m so glad that it failed and wish the chew would fail also. I loved All My Children and OLTL. They were my favorites. The only reason I watch GH is because it’s the only soap left to watch at that time. I want AMC and OLTL to come back so bad.

• Mary Jane says:

ME TOO!!!! LISTEN TO YOUR VIEWERS ABC!!!!

• diana says:

So glad the chew is staying. Do people have such boring lives that they have to have soaps toi get through the day? Try real life you will be amazed.

• Debbie Mason says:

How can you stand those ridiculous people on the CHEW? That goofy looking bald guy is annoying and the pigtailed dork isn’t much better. That chick with the ugly glasses and that blonde OZ person are soooooo boring. And last but not least, that last guy should go back to telling woman what not to wear on TLC. The Revolution isn’t much better! If this represents as you put it, “real life”, I’ll take soapland in a heartbeat!!

• Leah says:

Agreed!

4. em says:

Good news. Never liked The Revolution anyway.

5. Kiah says:

Any chance they will bring back OLTL or AMC?

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I wish. I believe Prospect Park still owns the rights to them for awhile longer.

• cilla sumner says:

I hope so…

• Chris says:

No way. They were cancelled in the first place because they were stinking up the ratings.

• Deb says:

Maybe you need to educate yourself before you make a comment like that. They were cancelled because ABC got greedy and decided they wanted cheaper production costs. The ratings on both AMC and OLTL weren’t “stinking up.”

• Pat Hazlerig says:

If they had a bit of brain in their crazy heads they would see that we mean business. After all they have already had two of their stupid shows belly up because no one wants to watch them. We want OLTL and AMC back. That’s the only way they are going to get the viewers back. What is it going to take to make them see that? Do we need to take a baseball bat to their hard heads to make them see what we want? After all we are what makes or breaks and we want our soaps back. Nothing else will ever take their place. They need to open their stupid ears and listen.

6. ES says:

The Revolution was awful! I went to a taping and it was even worse in person.

7. Lena120 says:

This is great news, but I’m so p*ssed that OLTL, a GOOD show, was cancelled for The Revolution. Such a waste.

8. Effy says:

So happy, Only watch GH

9. TV Gord says:

Great news, but I think it’s only a reprieve. I doubt GH will be renewed again, so fans had better prepare themselves.

• Barb says:

I’m still not sure that they won’t just pop in another talker at 2pm and cancel GH this fall. The suits at ABC hate all soaps. If they like the GMA in the Afternoon, GH could still die Sept. 10.

• No, they wanted to get GH to it 50th year anniversary. It will get renewed one more time after this, they will not cancel it during its 50th anniversary month

• mes says:

Eh, I honestly doubt ABC really cares about GH’s 50th anniversary

If the afternoon GMA thing lasts then yes GH will be trouble, but I can’t see it lasting.

The Chew will hold its spot, GH, and in GH’s timeslot will be Katie Couric

Next year, if The Chew and Katie are doing well then yes GH is a goner.

• Turnitup says:

Nah, they can get promotion out of fifty years. I could see them wanting to keep it for that purpose alone, so long as they continue to keep the costs down. Then they’ll murder it.

• Carol says:

I record GH every day to watch when I get home. I will have to re program my recorder when cheeky phoney Katie comes on

• TV Gord says:

The suits don’t hate all soaps. They hate shows with dwindling ratings and profits. The problem with most soap fans is that you’re reacting to the death of soaps with pure emotion, when TV is a business.

And no, GH could not still be cancelled in September. If it were going to end in September, it would have to be announced now, because the plotlines and script breakdowns have to be worked on now for September. Fans seem to realize soaps are shot weeks in advance, but frequently don’t think about the amount of time it takes to write the scripts.

ABC will announce at their May upfronts what their plans for the daytIme lineup are, and I believe they only have two choices: they will either put GH at 2pm (eastern), which is what most of us expect, or they could make the daring choice of putting GH at 11am (eastern), and move The View to 2pm, where it would be a great lead-in for the ABC affiliates that will carry Katie in GH’s old timeslot. It would be a risk for The View, but if they are feeling confident, it would also be a great showdown with The Talk over on CBS. That would be interesting!

• Kathy says:

Sorry Gord but you need to get your facts straight! The ratings for the soaps were higher than the talk shows and the soaps were still making a profit – the profit just wasn’t as high as it was for the talk shows. The execs are greedy and most of them earn bonuses on percentage of profit so they thought they’d bump their bonuses by ditching soaps. I’m glad the fans supported the show and forced the execs to keep GH – we don’t need to set a precedent that it’s okay for TV execs to shove cheaply produced and shoddy programming down our throats just so they can buy a bigger hoiuse!

• TV Gord says:

There is NO WAY the soaps were turning a profit. Some story a year or so ago stated OLTL was coming in under budget, and the blogosphere turned that around into incorrectly insisting the soaps were making a profit. There’s a difference between coming in under budget and turning a profit. I know my facts. I also don’t let myself absorb the delusional comments people post as fact on message boards.

• Angela says:

Of course most fans will respond with emotion. Most fans don’t care about or understand the ins and outs of ratings and such, they just watch the shows and will be upset when they’re not on TV anymore. I understand TV is a business and makes profits, but still, the way they jerked around the casts and fans on some of these shows was pretty crappy. Especially with AMC. The cast was willing to take pay cuts and transport themselves from faraway to California just to help keep the show going and it still didn’t do anything.
          Yes. TV executives care about profits and such. I get that, and on a business level that makes perfect sense. But they also need to learn to care about the viewers more often, too. You won’t HAVE ratings or profits if you anger the viewers so much that they flee the channel altogether.

• cilla sumner says:

Agree…

• TV Gord says:

There are no longer enough viewers to hurt the networks when they inevitably cancel the soaps. Soap fans are a cult audience these days, and that’s just not enough to justify keeping soaps on much longer.

TV executives DO care about the viewers, but these days, they care about the viewers who watch reality shows, yes, talk shows and not soaps.

It always makes me laugh when people express concern about the casts and crews of the soaps that have been cancelled (not just you, but several others I’ve read). Many of those same people aren’t giving a second thought to the cast and crew of The Revolution, who got their notice today. But hey, that’s television. Everything gets cancelled eventually.

• Angela says:

@TV Gord: Oh, yeah, you’re right, it sucks that those people at “The Revolution” are out of a job, too. I didn’t watch the show, but I imagine those who did are just as upset about it ending and I feel bad for everyone involved there, too. And everything must come to an end eventually-shows can’t last forever. I don’t think it’s the fact that a show ends that bothers some viewers the most-sure they’re sad, but they know it has to end eventually. I think it’s more the situations surrounding the show’s end that bothers people. And many of the cancelled soap operas were yanked around with quite a bit before they ended.

• Jim says:

Unfortunately most businesses today operate on greed. They no longer care about putting out a quality product or good customer service or even being successful. All they want is to put as much money in their pockets as they can. ABC does not care about their viewers. No one at Disney or ABC could even be bothered to reply with a generic E-mail. After several attempts my local affiliate finally sent me a blanket response that could have been sent to anyone complaining about anything. The very least I had expected was for them to invite me to watch their local news or syndicated programs…but they do not care if I view their channel.

• {at says:

You got that right. They don’t care if anyone watches their channel. I personally will not allow ABC to be viewed in my home anymore. They don’t care about me and I don’t care to watch their crappy shows they put on there. Yes I am emotional about the soaps. They were a part of my life for over half of my life. I don’t even turn on the TV in the daytime anymore. It’s nothing worth watching unless Hallmark has something good on. I hope ABC goes belly up. I will never watch them again. They can take their reality talk shows and their no good cooking shows. It’s too much of that crap on now. They save money because no one wants to watch their mess. I rather listen to the radio, work on my computer or just read a good book rather than what the mess that ABC puts out there. If all I had was ABC, I wouldn’t have a TV.

• All we can do is keep up the good fight and stick by our guns to boycott. People that are only fans of GH need to think about the influx of viewers that watched OLTL and except that no one show can carry the ratings Disney wants. Glad the replacement shows are not making it.

10. Patti says:

YAY! Love GH!

11. Jon says:

The Revolution shoulda been called The Revulsion. It was/is that bad.

12. John Berggren says:

I am not a soap opera fan by any means, but I think it’s great that at least one gets to survive. I think it’s kind of silly to go from several soaps to none in a matter of years. Surely one can survive if the viewers of the “lost and gone forever” programs can learn to love what’s left.

• Turnitup says:

I agree. If there are only 4 of them trading around all the same ridiculous story lines, it doesn’t seem nearly as silly as when there were 10 to 12 of them doing it. I wish they’d take some chances and re-invent their story wheels. I might check back in to one of them.

13. tvlover says:

So happy!!!

14. Ktb says:

Serves abc right!

• sandee russo says:

Except I don’t think they’re losing any sleep over it. The Chew has better ratings than AMC did (sadly) and cancelling the Revolution doesn’t bring OLTL back, Happy for GH. Lost my interest for a while but it has had new life infused into it and while not %100 it’s at least 75% better.

• dan says:

Not true. The Chew’s ratings are consistent with AMC’s ratings on a year-to-year basis (AMC’s ratings ticked up near the end of its run). The difference is that The Chew is much cheaper to produce (it costs about 40% of what AMC used to cost) so there is more profit from ad rates.

• Troy Turner says:

Dan,

You’re still wrong about this-according to the latest ratings, The Chew is down fifteen percent from AMC a year ago…

• {at says:

There’s no way the Chew has better ratings than AMC did. The Chew is stupid. I can’t stand it and I can’t stand the people on it. AMC was part of all our lives for years and The Chew will never hold up to that because we don’t care about watching yet another stupid cook show. Bring back our SOAPS or go under.

15. Abigail says:

such a good move on their part! thrilled to see that abc is willing to hold on to their last soap!

16. Jessica says:

SO happy about this! I love GH so much

17. I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) says:

This is great news. Now, GH, put Kassie dePaiva on contract as Blair Cramer (Todd and Blair forever!) and I’ll be a happy camper.

• cilla sumner says:

I agree.Todd,Blair,Starr and Jack are my favorite soap family…Todd and Blair are my favorite soap character’s…

18. I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) says:

This is great news. Now, GH, all you have to do is put Kassie dePaiva on contract as Blair Cramer (Todd and Blair forever!) and I’ll be a happy camper.

19. This is such great news! GH has been on fire lately with Frank Valentini and Ron Carlivati, who truly love and know how to do soaps well.

20. april-ann says:

I like Katie but I won’t watch her daytime show because please, no more talk/”information” shows. The market is just saturated and I think they have peaked. The Chew should be cancelled too, it’s just awful. Loud, noisy, the hosts all talking over each other so much it gets to actual yelling (and I’ve only ever tolerated 20 minutes of it!). I can’t stand the shoot-‘em-up gangsta cr*p that is GH but glad to see it stay all the same. But what I wouldn’t give for AMC and OLTL back!

21. I’m so happy they didn’t cancel GH. As far as The Revolution being cancelled find, but just what we need is another talk show….not! Pretty soon soaps are going to be extinct all together and I’m am already mourning the day that happends, then there will be nothing on in the daytime for me to watch. I hate talk shows and game shows.

22. Amelia Spittle says:

I never watched either of the new shows that replaced AMC or OLTL and won’t watch anything they put on it those time slots and if they end up cancelling GH in the Fall I won’t watch anything in its time slot and will be done with ABC. I have watched these shows for well over 35 yrs. and was watching General Hospital in Black and White with my Mom so yes I’m extremely happy about them saving it for now.

• julie says:

I won’t watch them either. We soap fans need to continue to Boycott the new shows. Enough of the reality crap.

23. zakspeak says:

Thrilled that GH has another chance! Also happy to see some OLTL faves on GH (I wasn’t able to watch the last ep of AMC or OLTL. Anyone know where I can find it?)

24. Julie says:

Haha I knew banning The Revolution and The Chew was a good idea:)

25. bad kevin says:

So happy for General Hospital. Proud to see The Revolution get canceled.

26. Rachael says:

Alright ABC!! Now hurry up and renew Castle!!!

27. theresa says:

So happy right now!!! I’ve been watching GH since the late 70’s & didn’t want to see another one of my soaps gone. I’m still missing OLTL & Another World. I know that ABC could still cancel it but I’m hoping this means they’ll give GH a fair chance at least.

28. Regina says:

I am so happy that I cannot come up with the words to relay my joy other than YAY and Yippee

29. davidsask says:

Happy for soap fans, I think pitting the View against the Talk would be brilliant move!!!

30. Jason says:

Now if only they could make it good again!! Don’t know if it was ther writing or the actin but when Robert Scorpio returned he didn’t seem like the same character!!! Then he left after two episodes. What?????

• april-ann says:

And I read that they killed off Robin. Seriously?? Are they trying to kill the show off themselves?

• TV Gord says:

No, they didn’t kill off Robin. The actress chose to leave, and so they wrote a story that made it appear as though she died, but she was last seen in a hospital bed, held captive by a mysterious someone…

• Turnitup says:

Like I said above, these show should be happy there’s fewer of them around. When people die/don’t die on 12 soaps it’s stupid. I can tolerate that story twist popping up here and there – it’s a convention of the genre after all. I mean, it’s still stupid, but you don’t have to admit you’re an idiot as many times a year for falling for it over and over and over.

• TV Gord says:

I agree, Turnitup, but if you watch with a sense of humor and tongue-in-cheek, they’re much more fun to watch (I hope Ron injects more of his humor in the show now that he’s writing). There are a lot of us out here who watch soaps for the absurdity of them (unfortunately, it seems to be mostly the humorless soap fans who post on most message boards).

• Jason says:

They should have had her abducted by that Alien she used to hang out with. OR they could have had the Alien show up in Stone’s body and romance her!!!

31. margaret says:

CAN YOU HEAR THE APPLAUSE FROM THE SOAP FANS … AND THE LAUGHTER …FOLLOW BY WE TOLD YOU SO?
    SOAP FANS ARE FAMILY AND WE’RE STILL HERE! HOORAY!

• Tiffany says:

ABSOLUTELY!!!! Thank goodness for General Hospital. I was 5yr old when I started watching it, and will be 38yr old in June. I was DEVASTATED by the news that it was going off the air in September… This just made my day!!!! GH, get creative with storylines and bring on the cast the fans want to see… You’ve got another chance to survive, PLEASE don’t mess it up!!!!!

32. Joan Chandler says:

Well ABC hoped that Katie Couric on GMA could get better ratngs than Today but it didn’t. As far as dwindling ratings, all ratings for everything have dwindled thanks to cable. Just look at the ratings for hit show finales – you’ll see that the oldest ones have the biggest ratings and then ratings just keep going down. How ABC saw that stupid lineup as saving daytime is beyond me. They just want to hoard money. After all the head of Disney is getting a raise from $17 million to $30 million. They couldn’t care less about viewers.

• april-ann says:

You are so right, Joan Chandler. They are clinking glasses and cheering themselves. But in the future they will not be revered, but hated by their successors. For their concept of killing off shows that viewers actually loved in favor of what they thought would save money and make money (and it did, for them! yay!) will be proven to be not only really stupid but unsustainable. Sometimes networks must carry shows at times for the greater good (Europe does it). So while they make even more money now than they already have and don’t need, they will for sure go down in the books as incredibly stupid. Yay!

• nd says:

agree, i thought abc will be making another stupid move by cancelling dr oz , they do not listen to the viewers anymore , only wants to look at the green green money that comes in really it is a shame katie does not do anything much anyway , i watched her interview with prince willlima and the concert , for uk half of the concert was not even shown………. for the queen’s jubilee…….. i hope DO OZ WILL NOT BE CANCELLED , hv watched soap operas for the longest time , i do not know why they go and cancel the good ones and keep the rotten ones (excluding dr oz) of course it is CHEAP

33. Kathy says:

I’ve been watching GH for years so I am thrilled to see it survive! I work so I set my DVR and catch up on nights and weekends. GH is entertaining and it deserves this slot! Plus, I am sick to death of talk shows and reality TV! Congrats to GH!!!

34. Meghan says:

Glad to hear this news! I have never watched “The Chew” or “The Revolution” as they were brought on to replace ABC’s now cancelled soaps. There are already too many shows that deal with this topic but only a few soaps left!

35. Robin says:

I don’t watch GH…but I am so glad to hear this news…Long live soaps!!! :)

36. mike says:

Long live General Hospital!

37. kim says:

I’m confused i thought that katie’s show was a syndicated show not an abc network show — is abc giving up one of its hours to it’s affiliates? How many people would like general hospital moved to 2p after the chew?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

KATIE is syndicated but almost all of the affiliates set to air it are ABC affiliates, and they’re locked in to run KATIE at 3pm.

• TV Gord says:

My understanding is that only the Owned and Operated ABC affiliates are locked in to air it at 3pm, and other ABC affiliates can air it where they choose (outside networks timeslots, of course). Isn’t that correct?

• CJ says:

General Hospital already comes on at 2 here, after The Revolution. The Chew comes on at 11AM. Katie will either come on at 4 (shifting Dr Oz) or 3 (shifting Anderson Cooper). The schedules are different all over the country.

• Debbie Mason says:

Where I live in Gardnerville, NV Katie Couric advertises her show on Channel 2 which is CBS. General Hospital is on ABC at 2:00. I think it’s moving up an hour which is fine. My question is if there’s no Katie on ABC around here, what is going to be in the empty slot from canceling my 2 great soaps? Hopefully something more interesting than The Chew! I really don’t mind Good Afternoon America except for the person who is continually laughing like a hyena in the audience. Who is that dork?

38. David says:

Thank God! Revolution sucked @$$ cookies.

Just saying.

39. The Diva says:

Wow, I’m shocked, but happy! I thought for sure ABC would choose cheaper-to-produce The Revolution no matter what the ratings were. Yay for GH!

40. lipsticksocialism says:

Yay for the soaps!!

41. Theresa says:

I am crying for joy!!! Have watched soaps all my life, and GH has always been my favorite. Would much rather tune in to a scripted show than a hyperactive reality show!!!

42. tim says:

They never should have cancelled one life to live

43. Amy says:

As a 40 year GH fan (I really DID start when I was 5, with my grandma!)…I’m happy to hear they’ll celebrate 50 years. And also that the silly “change in programming” substitutes ABC has tried proved to be the failure soap fans everywhere thought they’d be. Now if only the powers that be would really respect this great (and onetime powerhouse) soaps roots and history, and gather a team that “gets it” and writes for these great actors and characters like they did circa 80s & 90s (ala Clair Labine days)…it’d be a joy to all fans! C’mon ABC…THAT’D be the way to rejuvinate the “ailing (not) soap genre”…the love of serial tv, (Greys Anatomy etc) is still there, even in daytime among working women (Tivo!)…it’s the quality of the stories that’s gone downhill. All that said…I’ve had a “love/hate (more disappointment) relationship with GH lately, but always a softspot for it, as it’s given me many years of delicious tv escapism, into the wacky, wonderful world of “Port Chuck.” I’m thrilled GH made the cut.

• Amy says:

oops,… Claire Labine.

• MonkeyFace says:

I started watching with my great-grandma. I know way too much about the history of Pine Valley, Llanview & Port Charles for my own good! I’m glad GH gets a reprieve, hope to see more familiar faces pop up.

44. Amy says:

and ps. (broken record here)…and get back Ms. Genie Francis as Laura Spencer, with her family and her beloved Luke. Period. End. Of. Subject.

ps…stunning the missed opportunity there, to build on unquestionably Daytime’s biggest, phenonenon, beloved couple, and richest soap legend, ever. sigh…ABC.

45. kim says:

Not a surprise that this show is being cancelled….and they cancelled OLTL for this “crap”. I never thought this show would take off and I never watched it. ABC Exec’s say that “reality tv” is the “in” thing and also much cheaper….well, I’d lilke to know if the cast of The Revolution has contracts and if ABC is obligated to continue to pay them to the end of their respective contracts and wouldn’t this be considered “a waste”. Now, if each of these so-called-experts that are on this show didn’t have contracts and were “let’s say…umm fired (which they technically are) then maybe it would be cheaper. Just saying…..

46. Helen says:

Hooray GH!!! It’s the only thing I watch in the afternoon and my husband is on board too! I DON’T watch all these snippit magazine type shows and Katie will be just another. Sorry Katie but the format is overdone, shallow, and humorless. Bring back the SOAP tradition. Men have all the sports at night, bring back the ladies version of video books… a chapter each day keeps the bad moods away!!!

47. Sissy says:

I am sad to see the Revolution leave the air…I quite enjoy the information provided and hope that it will be picked up by another network. “sigh”

48. MJ says:

I’m a OLTL fan, but Yay for GH fans. I completely boycotted ABC after Blair and Todd’s final appearances on GH. Had GH brought over a few more of the OLTL cast or at least kept Blair and Todd on I might have kept watching, but alas the powers at ABC blew it. At least their smart enough to cut their losses and get rid of the Revolution. Again, congrats to the GH fans, I hope ABC listens to all of you and keeps this last Soap on the air.

49. ladymatika says:

I just want All My Children back I hate talk shows never watch them never will not even if you had Don Johnson or John Schneider on them I woulldn’t watch them
    that really ticks me off you took amc off for a talk show
    now I watch nbc and cbs cause you guys must be newbies at abc cause you clearly don’t know what the hell you are doing or what is hot and what’s not

50. Blum says:

Yippee no more revolution!