Justified's Timothy Olyphant, Others Tease a 'Different, Violent and Sad' Season Finale

Justified nemeses Raylan Givens and Boyd Crowder aren’t inclined to agree on much, but their portrayers do concur that the FX drama’s Season 3 finale (airing Tuesday at 10/9c) will be a bit different from previous cappers.

“It’s not like last year, that’s for sure,” Timothy Olyphant told TVLine at FX’s upfront party, upon hearing that Walton Goggins had described it to us as “different.” “And who wants it to be?” the series’ frontman posed. “It’s refreshing.”

Natalie Zea Clears Up Her Justified Status, Teases Winona’s Season-Ending Return

To recap: Justified wrapped its freshman run with a shootout involving Raylan, unexpectedly allied for the moment with Boyd, and members of a drug cartel, while Season 2 closed with an explosion, Dickie shooting Ava, Doyle Bennett’s well-deserved bullet-to-the-forehead and menacing matriarch Mags’ rather poetic suicide-by-cider. (Suicider?)
Now heading into Season 3’s final hour, we’ve got Neal McDonough’s Robert Quarles vanished and on the lam after surviving the bombing of his car, leaving Raylan hot to hunt down the Detroit mob flunkie as well as determine who gunned down state trooper Tom.

And that’s not to mention Boyd’s own agenda in the wake of almost losing his own life, and whatever strategic, self-serving move Mykelti Williamson’s Limehouse now has in mind.

All told, when asked for three words to sum up this week’s finale, Goggins after some thought offered, “Different. Violent. And sad.”

Having since screened the intense hour, TVLine can confirm that Season 3’s finale does have its own distinct tone, while among the aforementioned violence is a particular moment that is extremely vivid and memorable. We’ll also note that along the way, Jere Burns and Joelle Carter do some terrific work, as Wynn Duffy and Ava.

Teasing her increasingly fierce alter ego’s finale arc, Carter says, “Ava doesn’t allow the circumstances forced upon her to make her a victim, like she was last season.”

As for the “sad” element cited by Goggins… well, that is best left experienced firsthand by the viewer, with no prompts.

“I enjoyed it, how [the finale] worked out,” said Olyphant, who is also a producer on the series. “I don’t think it’s a big body count, but people are gonna die.”

Plus, there’s the one big thing it shares with previous season enders — the ability to satisfy, while also leave you wondering what lies ahead for your Harlan County’s favorites. Says Carter, “It’s just as powerful as ever for our main characters, who all end up at different crossroads.”

How do you think the Justified finale will shake out?

1. Lia says:

Looking forward to the finale, it’s been another stellar season

2. I loved the last 2 season finales (there is very little about this show that I don’t love). I was very upset when Trooper Tom was shot and Raylan’s been ready to explode beneath that 10 gallon hat of his for a while so I expect this finale will see it all come to a head. I am looking forward to it!

• Randall says:

I agree about Sherriff Tom, I liked him!!! I wish that they would show more of the other two deputies.

• patty bell says:

i love tom to he and raylan contented good, i hated to see him go , dickie is the one that need’s to go and line house in a pain in the ass 9 what is up wiyh the money why not give it to him, i really think loratta no more than she it telling. i hate that 13 show’s year is all we get i love this show , i love timothy but walter is good to . but i think ava is getting to be just like boyd . and that is not good.

3. sash fan says:

What is in the works for ARLO? We didn’t find him at the end of the last episode!

4. Bethany says:

I have a sneaking suspicion that Quarles is somehow going to get ahold of Winnona and she is going to be killed. Just a hunch.

• Todd says:

I can see Quarles causing the unborn baby to die. That would have far more dramtic impact for Raylan and Winnona next season. And it would be incredibly sad.

• Lynn says:

I HOPE you are right! I would love to see that chick gone!!

• jbkr73 says:

Yost has stated repeatedly that nothing is going to happen to the baby. Natalie Zea’s contract for the pilot she signed onto was specifically written to give her room to do Justified as well. Winona isn’t going anywhere, and neither is the baby.

5. P Diddily says:

It wasn’t cider, it was moonshine.

• Jahojo says:

Mags called it Apple Pie … which is actually a form of Apple Cider. It’s homemade apple brandy that has one heck of a kick to it (without the poison of course).

6. Celeste says:

My vote is that Boyd will get killed. I will not be happy with this, but it seems like they will allow Ava to complete her transformation into a Mags like character and assume that destiny.

7. Roy_Munson says:

I’m 99.999% sure Quarles goes down for the count tonight. Maybe Dickie, too, but that’s it

8. susanmarie says:

I flat out love this show! I am so anxious to see how it ends up this season. The whole cast is superb–and so is the writing.

9. Susan says:

I’ll be a happy camper if Winona bites the dust tonight, but I’m thinking Ava does, just a hunch.

10. rowan77 says:

I’m thinking Arlo may go off on one of his dementia-fueled rages and step into something he can’t get out of. I would hate it if Boyd is killed. Walter Goggins is just genius on the show. Maybe Art gets it? That would suck. I like Art.

11. JimP says:

Quarles is too far gone to be a real threat for next year, so he dies. Arlo, too. That story arc has played out. As for a surprise, I’m thinking that perhaps Art gets shot. As much as I would hate that, I can see it happening.
    Winona? Women seem to hate her. I believe it’s because they like to see Raylan as the bad boy who fights the good fight. She is his kryptonite. They don’t like to see their Superman seem vulnerable.

• aunt_deen says:

Speaking as one of the women who loathes Winona, I can tell you it has nothing to do with Raylan’s vulnerability and everything to do with the fact that Winona is horribly self-centered and manipulative. I liked Raylan with Ava (although I like Ava/Boyd better) and I wouldn’t mind seeing more of that kick-ass bar owner he slept with a few eps ago. But Winona is just tedious and annoying.

Except this season. I’ve been saying that if they wrote her from the beginning like they have this season I would have loved her.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I’m a woman who likes Winona. She gets my vote. Natalie Zea is a terrific actress. I’ve never seen her as manipulative, and I do like to see Raylan vulnerable. I wish I could have seen more of them together this season. I also liked Ava and Raylan together. But I also like Ava with Boyd. She’s got chemistry with everyone.

12. cooki1176 says:

I hope Winona & Raylan end up together for the finale:)

13. cooki1176 says:

I’m glad Raylan saw Winona:)

14. Sarah says:

I want more Winonna. :(((

15. Britta Unfiltered says:

Incredible finale! It was very sad. That closing scene….”He thought he shot a man in a hat.” I nearly cried. I kinda wish they hadn’t brought in this storyline with Arlo being crazy to the point where he needed meds to keep from hallucinating. I liked 1st season crazy-like-a-fox Arlo much better. I think it was interesting to see Ava go from being a victim to a victimizer. You’d think someone who used to get hit wouldn’t want to hit other women, but seldom is that true in real life, so I am glad the show went the violent way with Ava, as violence does beget violence. And the scene where Quarles was trying to grab the arm while Raylan held it out of reach. So visceral. Loved it. I’m gonna go watch it again now.

16. Rita Clark says:

I just started watching Justified this season. Love it. Any chance they will have re runs before the next season starts?