Dancing With the Stars Week 4 Results Recap: How'd That Happen?

“We’re gonna kiss somebody goodbye. Real goodbye,” said a menacing Gene Simmons at the top of this week’s Dancing With the Stars results recap. And as the director cut to a flashback from backstage Monday night — Melissa Gilbert, konked out on a stretcher, oxygen mask over her face, and Simmons lurking in full KISS regalia in a nearby corner — I worried momentatily if dude meant real real goodbye.

Fret not: Although the Little House on the Prairie star suffered a mild concussion during the Rock Week performance show, and couldn’t attend the results telecast, she will nevertheless live to traverse another ballroom. Also safe were the couple with the lowest total score from the judges (Gladys and Tristan) and the only couple who’d previously been in the Bottom 2 (Gavin and Karina). Which turned the telecast into “one of the most tense results shows we’ve had in a long time,” said dapper host Tom Bergeron.

Ratings: The Voice Dips for Fifth Straight Week, Two and a Half Men at Series Low. Plus: DWTS!

Here’s how things played out:

Bottom Two Couples
Roshon Fegan and Chelsie Hightower
Sherri Shepherd and Val Chmerkovskiy

Dancing With the Stars Week 4 Recap: Headbangers Ballroom!

Bringing Hotness and Intensity to the Ballroom
Karina Smirnoff, José Carreño, and the Gotan Project

Eliminated
Sherri and Val

“Thank you for letting me live a dream I’ve always had,” said Sherri, who’d begun to cry even before Tom delivered the final verdict. She then praised her partner, and encouraged viewers that if they had a goal in life that scared them, to “run toward it, because it is so amazing on the other side.”

I know she may not have been channeling Ginger Rogers, but I’m sad to see Sherri go. Much like Carson Kressley last season, The View host brought a joy and humor to the ballroom that, in my opinion, more than outweighed the superior footwork of several of her competitors. Had we said goodbye to Roshon and his shameless mugging, I don’t think I’d have been half as sad.

What did you think? Did Sherri and Val deserve to get booted? If not, who should have been eliminated? And how hot was that Karina performance? Sound off in the comments!

1. Paula says:

I’m sad that Sherri’s gone, and surprised! I expected it to be Gladys or William, but I don’t know anything about their fanbases.

• Kim R says:

I was disappointed to see Sherri go as well. She was so joyful. This has nothing to do with dancing but I would like to see Jaleel go. He’s too smooth & self justifying about everything. It doesn’t play well for me. And I agree with Michael…Roshon…stop mugging for the camera. Highly annoying. :)

2. chistosa says:

It is sad and America got it wrong. She brought a joy to the ballroom and I will miss seeing her perform. In my opinion it should have been Melissa, Gladys or Gavin. While I see Gavin improving he is not near the level of the other males. I suspect the votes for Gladys are really for Tristan who is quite popular. I don’t know who Melissa’s fan base is. Little House has been off the air for so long that I really don’t know how well known she is. Roshon never should have been in the bottom 2 either. An interesting season to say the least.

• GLADYS fans are the ones voting for Gladys & Tristan.
      And MAKS fans are the ones voting for Melissa & Maks.

If there is ONE pro who has a big enough fan base to keep him in the competition for a few weeks, regardless of who his partner is, it’s Maks. Not Tristan. ;)

• Fla says:

I agree Melissa, Gladys and Gavin are way behind on dance.. Sherri did not deserve the boot. And I also agree that Roshon should stop the annoying mugging thing but its kinda cute, I mean he is fairly young… Then again Sherri was the one bringing me to smile monday in and tuesday out :-/ i will tune in to the view when i miss her lol

3. Angela says:

I suspect the votes for Gladys are really for Tristan who is quite popular.
    I suspect you’re quite right about that. I love the guy, too, and I’m happy I get to see him another week, but at the same time, it indeed would not be fair if she stuck around longer than people who were better simply because of who her partner is. I know these shows are popularity contests overall, but still, some people do focus on the actual point of the show, which is who the best dancer is.
    Sherri just likely doesn’t have that strong a fanbase, and she wasn’t really one of the better dancers on the show. She had fun, clearly, and that I always support, if a dance is entertaining I can forgive many things about it. But ultimately, I think it wasn’t at all surprising she’d leave early. I don’t have an opinion on her one way or another, so it’s no big loss to me.
    Am very surprised Roshon wound up in the bottom group, though, given how highly he scored with the judges last night.

4. Bob Lozano says:

It was premature for all the hype in week #1. It was easy to see even then who was going to have trouble. And fanbases notwithstanding, we’re seeing the right people being booted off.

5. Isabelle says:

They had me scared for William. So happy he’s safe because he is too good to go so soon. I wanted sherri to stay and roshon to go, I don’t enjoy him. Also let’s not forget Gladys is a big legend with a huge fanbase, having Tristan helps but she’s got loads of support. I was so happy she was safe too and Ill miss Vals sexiness and Sherris humor.

6. elaine1014 says:

While I was expecting Gladys and Gavin to be in the bottom, I am ecstatic with the results. I just don’t care for Sherri. There’s just something that annoys me. I was surprised Roshon was in the bottom given his high score. Just goes to show how important fan votes are. Without a strong fan base, no one is safe.

7. KJ says:

Next season let’s hope that Tristan is paired with someone who he actually has a shot to win with.

8. ashley says:

When do they start the dance off btwn the bottom two. I thought that was last night

9. nancytodd says:

The dance off starts next week, even if they had had it last night the judges would have probably saved Roshon (please stop with the stupid faces). I think some people saved Gladys and Tristan because of the wretched wretched music they had to dance to (don’t get me wrong I love Bohemian Rhapsody to LISTEN to).

10. Lorie says:

I wonder if the Disney Channel will now up their DWTS ads to help out Roshon. I thought Sherri’s personality would keep her on for a couple of more weeks.

11. llws says:

I didn’t think Sherri would win but I was sad to see her leave as well. She has such a bright light, the season will miss it now that she’s gone. As well, she’s ALWAYS wanted to be on DWTS, so as she said it was literally her dream. I’m glad she made it on, she did well.

12. w. says:

Everyone talks about Roshon’s mugging but Sherri does not realize that she comes off as obnoxious when she over-reacts like her crazy dancing when she made it through. It’s fine to be happy but she carries on too long. I would hear from my mother about ‘how silly she acts’. I think that cost her votes.

13. crazigrami says:

I am glad Gavin made it through I see improvement every week. Plus he is funny.

14. Frances says:

I for one cant wait to see Melissa an Urkel gone… Enough with the melodrama…. Sherri and Roshon overact maybe but at least i get a laugh out of that!

15. Ellen S. says:

I guess Sherri wasn’t as popular as everyone seems to think. Or Jack Wagner, either. I just don’t think it’s about dancing.

I hope this doesn’t affect their ability to secure future projects.

16. Bobbi says:

Gladys has a huge fan base and like this show, they tend to skew older. It doesn’t surprise me at all that she’s still there. She may last longer than we expect!