Kristen Wiig Addresses SNL Exit Rumors: 'You Have to Leave Things That You Love'

Get More: Late Night TV, News

Saturday Night Live vet Kristen Wiig took part in Alec Baldwin’s bi-monthly podcast, “Here’s The Thing“, and used the opportunity — after being nudged a bit by the 30 Rock star — to address recent reports that the current season of NBC’s late-night staple will be her last.

“Ummm, I don’t know,” Wiig hedged when Baldwin suggested her time on SNL was “winding down.”

“Everyone has to leave,” she continued. “And I will say that when I do leave it’s not because I’m sick of it and not because I see something better or anything like that. It’s just that it’s time. When I do leave, it will be the hardest thing.”

Sofia Vergara Hosts SNL: Best and Worst Skits

Wiig, whose contract is up at the end of this season, noted that when and if she vacates her spot as SNL‘s go-to funnylady, the decision won’t be an easy one. “This is my seventh year and that’s my family,” she shared, candidly. “It’s my heart. It’s New York to me.

“But,” she added, “you have to leave things that you love.”

When asked by Baldwin what she’ll miss most about the show should she leave, Wiig said, “the people [and] that camaraderie and… seeing all those faces every day. And also, that creative muscle that you have when you’re at SNL…”

It was reported last week that Wiig, along with co-stars Andy Samberg and Jason Sudeikis, would depart SNL at season’s end. A rep for the series, however, told TVLine, “No decisions have been made and won’t be until the end of the summer.”

Comments (15)

• When she leaves SNL it will break my heart. But I understand that she can’t stay there forever..

Comment by Anne – April 9, 2012 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Anything and everything she does makes me laugh in a way that nobody else does. She is the last of the great females on that show (Wiig, Pohler, Rudolph, Fey, Dratch, Shannon, Gasteyer, and the list goes on…). Here’s hoping the other ones can really step it up.

Comment by brandy – April 9, 2012 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely will miss her presence on the show, but completely understand.

Comment by Alexia – April 9, 2012 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I won’t miss her recurring characters, but she’s been one of the best writers. Though every time SNL runs skits that are essentially vehicles for Wiig they fall flat. See Gilly for the number one example. Or that character on the passwords skits.

Comment by Jack – April 9, 2012 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Gilly is terrible!

Comment by Stacy – April 9, 2012 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good riddance to Wiig’s Gilly and her chorus of human chihuahua impersonations: Mindy Grayson, Sue, and Judy Grimes. The momentum of the show grinds to a halt way too often when she’s on.

Comment by Jack – April 9, 2012 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In other words, she’s leaving and doesn’t know how to break it to the fans.

Comment by Stacy – April 9, 2012 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s going to be fantastically successful no matter what. I can’t wait to see her next project.

Comment by John Berggren – April 9, 2012 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s the love interest for Robert DeNiro’s aging comedian character in “The Comedian.” Not her very next film, but I expect it to be pure awesome. Also looks like Annette Bening is playing her mother in the comedy “Imogene.” That’s perfect casting!

Comment by DL – April 10, 2012 04:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s fearless, and I love that about her performances. I will miss her, but I’m sure we’ll still be seeing a lot of her in other productions and roles.

I wonder how she feels about marriage? ;o)

Comment by Rocky – April 9, 2012 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • she can’t leave, she’s THE best on SNL…I can’t imagine what it would be like without her! :’(

Comment by Line – April 9, 2012 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of the best SNL casts ever. Sad to see her go :( I really wish she can have her own sitcom just like Amy and Tina with Parks and 30 Rock.

Comment by Mark Almighty – April 10, 2012 03:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS!
      I would loooove a Kristen Wiig sticom!

Comment by Philipp – April 10, 2012 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Most overrated comedienne ever!

Comment by Chris Tocantin – April 10, 2012 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post