Dancing With the Stars Week 4 Recap: Headbangers Ballroom!

maks dwtsAnyone who struggled to make it through last week’s tear-soaked “most memorable year” telecast was no doubt breathing a huge sigh of relief settling in to watch Week 4 of Dancing With The Stars, which featured our cavalcade of celebrities channeling their inner rock stars. Would Melissa Gilbert hit us with her best shot of Pat Benatar-meets-the-Prairie? Would William Levy rock out with his pecs out? How much black leather would the producers squeeze into a two-hour telecast?

Here’s everything you need to know about the (Kleenex-free) fourth week of DWTS:

Eyes Wide Shut | Did Carrie Ann Inaba’s enthusiastic, tongue-baring ode to KISS frontman Gene Simmons — the legendary band opened the show with a big bang, and lots and lots of pyrotechnics — leave anyone else unsettled? In the immortal words of The Comeback‘s Valerie Cherish “I don’t need to see that!” Oh, and who else could barely avoid turning away knowing Maria Menounos (my new female fave) was dancing with her feet plagued by dangerous stress bruises and a fracture?

Best ‘Live TV’ Moment | I suspected Brooke Burke’s wild, curly ‘do would spell trouble at some point, and I was right! Just as the lovely Host-Bot was segueing into getting audience votes for Melissa and Maks, her unfortunate weave attacked Maks’ fingers, and he inadvertently took her head for a brief (and hysterical) ride! For my money, that was five seconds of pure, unplanned TV bliss! In a not-so-great live moment, Tom later announced the duo was missing from show-ending festivities because Melissa was en route to the hospital to get a mystery injury checked out. Here’s to a healthy week five, Maria and Melissa!

Quotes of the Night | “Did you call me fat? Huh?” — A couch-lounging Sherri Shepherd to Val Chmerkovskiy, after he complained about what men can and can’t say to women.

“I’ve always been the good girl, but underneath, there’s always been that bad girl.” –Melissa “Half Pint” Gilbert, after Maks dissed her in rehearsals for lacking passion.

“I was hoping for 10s!” –Donald Driver, after getting a trio of 9s from the judges.

“I never thought I’d get excited seeing a man with his shirt off… after the show we’ll compare tattoos.” –Len to Donald

“There’s three words I wanna hear from Len: Good job, dawg!” –Roshon
“Good job, dawg.” — Len to Roshon

Judges’ Leaderboard (Carrie Ann, Len, Bruno: Total)
Donald Driver and Peta Murgatroyd: 9, 9, 9: 27
Roshon Fegan and Chelsie Hightower: 9, 8, 9: 26
Maria Menounos and Derek Hough: 9, 8, 9: 26
Katherine Jenkins and Mark Ballas: 8, 8, 8: 24
Gavin DeGraw and Karina Smirnoff: 8, 8, 7: 23
Melissa Gilbert and Maksim Chmerkovskiy: 7, 8, 7: 22
Jaleel White and Kym Johnson: 8, 7, 7: 22
William Levy and Cheryl Burke: 7, 7, 8: 22
Sherri Shepherd and Val Chmerkovskiy: 7, 7, 7: 21
Gladys Knight and Tristan MacManus: 7, 6, 7: 20

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of Maks and Brooke’s “entanglement”? Does Donald’s shirtless splash this week threaten to topple William Levy as the DWTS hunk du jour? Do you agree with Carrie Ann that Roshon is the best male dancer? Hit the comments and sound off! –Mitch Rustad

Comments (23)

• Time for Sherri to go

Comment by chris – April 9, 2012 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nope. Love Sherri. Time for Melissa or Gladys.

Comment by Spencer – April 9, 2012 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • thank you, i love sherri too, she is so much fun to watch and don’t want her journey to end. She can dance!

Comment by sam – April 9, 2012 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dancing-wise I hate to see any of them go. I don’t dislike anyone this season, but I don’t care if Gavin DeGraw or Katherine Jenkins get dumped.

Comment by CJ – April 10, 2012 01:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How can you say that Jenkins can dance and it would be terrible if she went before anyone who isn’t dancing that great, Gladys, Sherri and Gavin.

Comment by Lana – April 10, 2012 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I meant How can you say that? Jenkins can dance

Comment by Lana – April 10, 2012 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Sherri I want her to stay as long as possible. She really makes the show fun, I like Gladys too. What she is doing is amazing at her age. I love to watch her. Katherine Jenkins may be a good dancer technically but I find her kind of boring. Lucky for her she has Mark Ballas who along with Derek can come up with some of the most creative choreography.

Comment by sandra – April 9, 2012 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mark and Katherine’s dance tonight reminded me of Bristol’s Stomp. This is what the dance was supposed to look like.

Comment by smidnite – April 10, 2012 01:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At least Sherri is entertaining.

Comment by Demarcus Seaborn (@Demarcus21) – April 9, 2012 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the hatred on the DWTS abc board for sherri is unbelievable.

Comment by sam – April 9, 2012 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s sad! I really like her. She’s not the best dancer, but she’s good enough to stay this week, and she’s very entertaining.

Comment by Paula – April 9, 2012 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I like Sherri.

Comment by smidnite – April 10, 2012 01:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted for my baby William his dance had some oh no moments but he has the talent to keep going. I voted for Gladys too I really like her sass and they got the worst possible song to try and dance to. I think it was unfair the easy song choice Roshon got. I have no idea who will go home but I wouldn’t mind if it was Roshon, Melissa or Jaeel.

Comment by Isabelle – April 9, 2012 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going to have nightmares about Bohemian Rhapsody tonight!

Comment by smidnite – April 10, 2012 01:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was for sure a night mare preformance

Comment by James – April 10, 2012 02:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t need a Kleenex last week; more like a barf bag. Schmaltz continues its takeover of television unabated.

Comment by CJ – April 10, 2012 03:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sherri is nice but its a dancing competition and she does not deserve to stay over Roshon Donald Jaleel and my faves Katherine and Maria Sherri is not that good of a dancer

Comment by Josh – April 10, 2012 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i gave all of my votes to William. He deserves to go far he got what it takes to win.

Comment by m – April 10, 2012 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favorites are Katharine, William, Maria and Donald. But I love Gladys (and Tristan), Sherri and Gavin. I would be fine with Jaleel and/or Melissa leaving. Tough year because without the obnoxioius reality tv stars I like everyone. Still anybody’s mirror ball trophy.

Comment by chistosa – April 10, 2012 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am loving this season. Agree about Carrie Anne’s Kiss imitation. Yikes! :)
    I really like Katherine, Maria, Donald and William. Sherri is just joyful & it is contagious.I also enjoy Melissa & Maks together but I don’t think she is the most talented dancer there for sure. I hope they give Gavin time to improve because I think he could. Gladys is so amazing at her age but she is a bit slow. I know this is not solely based on dancing ability but I would like to not have to watch Jaleel anymore. I don’t believe him. Watching all the interviews of the last week has left me with a bad taste. Just my opinion but I don’t get a good vibe from him. :(

Comment by Kim R – April 10, 2012 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m starting to agree with you on that. At first he seemed cool, but of late…eh. Yeah. Shame.

I particularly loved Katherine, Donald, Maria, and Melissa last night. Sure, they had their slipups here and there, but overall I thought their dances were generally some of the stronger ones overall.

And I LOVE Katherine and Mark danced to a Muse song :D. I thoroughly enjoyed hearing that one pop up in the song list.

Comment by Angela – April 10, 2012 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted for Gladys too I really like her sass and they got the worst possible song to try and dance to.

Comment by Pilar Robinette – April 14, 2012 02:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I usually do not comment, but after looking
    at through a few of the responses on Dancing With the Stars Recap:
    Season 14 Week 4 Peformances – TVLine. I do have a couple of questions for you if it’s allright.
    Is it just me or does it look as if like some of the remarks come across like
    they are left by brain dead people? :-P And, if you are writing
    on other social sites, I would like to keep up with you.
    Could you make a list of all of your public pages like your linkedin profile,
    Facebook page or twitter feed?

Comment by Phillis – January 24, 2014 12:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post