American Idol: What Should the Top 7 Cover for Songs of the Current Decade?

You wanted some current music on American Idol? Well Uncle Nigel is gonna give you current music on American Idol!

That’s right: On this Wednesday’s performance show, the Top 7 contestants will tackle Songs from This Decade — 2010 to 2012 (aka The Ke$ha Years), and now we all need to say a collective novena that nobody’s going to cover “I’m Sexy and I Know It.” (Not that it’s not on my iPod, but come on.)

American Idol Top 8 Results Recap: It’s Just a Shame, That’s All

Below, you’ll find my suggestions to help the Top 7 wiggle wiggle wiggle out of their comfort zones while possibly producing an Idol Moment. Check out the fruits of my brainstorming, then hit the comments with your own dream set list!

Joshua Ledet | David Guetta featuring Sia’s “Titanium” or Melanie Fiona’s “4AM

Elise Testone | Mumford & Sons’ “The Cave” or Lady Gaga’s “Paparazzi

Skylar Laine | Jason Aldean’s “Fly Over States” or Kip Moore’s “Somethin’ ‘Bout a Truck

American Idol Top 8 Performance Night Recap: Barenaked ’80s

Colton Dixon | Kelly Clarkson’s “Already Gone” or Kelis’ “4th of July (Fireworks)” (daft on paper, but if Colton gets behind the piano and strips the song down, it could be amazing)

Jessica Sanchez | Jason Mraz’s “I Won’t Give Up” or Florence + The Machine’s “Shake It Out”

Phillip Phillips J Cole’s “Work Out” or Alicia Keys’ “Try Sleeping with a Broken Heart

Hollie Cavanagh | Neon Trees’ “Animal” or Ellie Goulding’s “Lights

1. 8P says:

syklar shud sing sugerland it happens

2. asherlev1 says:

Amazing choices. Love <3

3. tomitweets says:

Michael, Hollie doing ANIMAL? Are you kidding me? She needs some wreckless abandon for Neon Trees. Not gonna get it.

4. w. says:

I’m really surprised Michael – that you didn’t address the choices of music from the Eighties – The Eighties were all about new age pop – like eurythmics – Culture Club – Psychedelic Furs and on and on – The show didn’t have One Song from that movement – The show was wall to wall soft rock that could’ve come from any decade. Draggin My heart Around was the coolest song but it still didn’t feel like the Eighties like DuranDuran, Thompson Twins – Flock of Seagulls – Janet Jackson – You can’t tell me that some of these songs were available – The show is so old fogey – even when they have a chance not to be.

5. desifish2011 says:

God I feel old! I recognize some of the artists you all are mentioning but I have no idea on the songs.

My (furiously net researched picks):

Colton — Hurricane — 30 Seconds to Mars
    Joshua — Collard Greens and Cornbread — Fantasia
    Phillip — Hey Girl —- O.A.R.
    Jessica — It Kills Me — Melanie Fiona
    Skyler — Here For The Party — Gretchen Wilson
    Elise — Paris — Grace Potter and the Nocturnals
    Hollie — Who Says — Selena Gomez

• darcy's evil twin says:

“Here for the party” is too old. I think the songs have to be from 2010 to 2012. It’s funny that forever everyone’s been griping that the songs are not current. Now we seem to have a theme that’s way too current and when someone suggests a song from, say, 2006 it’s “too old”.

6. darcy's slutty twin says:

Phillip – Poker Face (Lady GaGa)
    Jessica – The One That Got Away (Katy Perry)
    Hollie – Change (Carrie Underwood)
    Elise – Don’t Stay (Laura Izibor)
    Colton – Party Rock Anthem (LMFAO)
    Joshua – Blow (Ke-dollar sign-Ha)
    Skylar – Sorry for Party Rockin’ (LMFAO)

7. syb says:

I want Elise to cover Florence + the Machine: Preferably No Light, No Light, but Dog Days would be fine too.

8. Bridget says:

I think Philip would do Thr Cave really well and I also think Colton should do Animal by Neon Trees. Joshua really should not do Titanium, I dont think it suits him.

9. Top Cat says:

I was walking the other day with my IPOD on and it occurred to me that Joshua would be incredible singing One Eskimo’s “Amazing”

10. Kristen says:

Joshua should TOTALLY do “Forget You” by Cee-Lo! That would be epic. I can imagine him scream-singing (and I mean that in the best possible way) the “Why????” part!

11. StereotypicalSuzie says:

Actual Set List:

1. You and I (Lady Gaga)
    2. Stuttering (Jazmine Sullivan)
    3. Don’t Know How Much I Loved You (Kellie Pickler)
    4. Perfect (Pink)
    5. Love The Way You Lie (Skylar Grey)
    6. Give You A Little More (Maroon 5)
    7. Runaway Baby (Bruno Mars)
    8. Somebody I Used To Know (Gotye)
    9. What Doesn’t Kill You (Stronger) – (Kelly Clarkson)
    10. Don’t You Wanna Stay (Jason Aldean & Kelly Clarkson)

12. angelstorm says:

i’d love to hear Jessica do “Shake it Out” ! I think that could be awesome !!

13. Doc says:

I have been watching Idol since it has started and i have seen a lot of people go home for just one bad preformance. So my suggestion is why dont they add all the points from week one and the person with the least amout of points goes home that week so if one of the idols have a bad week and all the other weeks are good they would have a second chance to over come the bad week. Where can this be suggested or has it already been done..