American Idol: What Should the Top 7 Cover for Songs of the Current Decade?

You wanted some current music on American Idol? Well Uncle Nigel is gonna give you current music on American Idol!

That’s right: On this Wednesday’s performance show, the Top 7 contestants will tackle Songs from This Decade — 2010 to 2012 (aka The Ke$ha Years), and now we all need to say a collective novena that nobody’s going to cover “I’m Sexy and I Know It.” (Not that it’s not on my iPod, but come on.)

American Idol Top 8 Results Recap: It’s Just a Shame, That’s All

Below, you’ll find my suggestions to help the Top 7 wiggle wiggle wiggle out of their comfort zones while possibly producing an Idol Moment. Check out the fruits of my brainstorming, then hit the comments with your own dream set list!

Joshua Ledet | David Guetta featuring Sia’s “Titanium” or Melanie Fiona’s “4AM

Elise Testone | Mumford & Sons’ “The Cave” or Lady Gaga’s “Paparazzi

Skylar Laine | Jason Aldean’s “Fly Over States” or Kip Moore’s “Somethin’ ‘Bout a Truck

American Idol Top 8 Performance Night Recap: Barenaked ’80s

Colton Dixon | Kelly Clarkson’s “Already Gone” or Kelis’ “4th of July (Fireworks)” (daft on paper, but if Colton gets behind the piano and strips the song down, it could be amazing)

Jessica Sanchez | Jason Mraz’s “I Won’t Give Up” or Florence + The Machine’s “Shake It Out”

Phillip Phillips J Cole’s “Work Out” or Alicia Keys’ “Try Sleeping with a Broken Heart

Hollie Cavanagh | Neon Trees’ “Animal” or Ellie Goulding’s “Lights

1. Katie says:

At 32, I’m officially over the hill. I have heard exactly two of those songs.

• Nat says:

I’m 23 and I’ve heard of exactly two of those songs. Feel better?

• Janet B says:

If you had teenagers you’d know these songs. I could sing them for you but then you’d kill me.

• Mom of 6 says:

At 42 and with three teenagers, I know six of these. I also know any number of Barney songs.

• Ken says:

I’m 19 and I’ve heard 7 of them, but I recognize all 14 artists. It’s also that Michael didn’t make obvious choices for his recommendations.

• A says:

I heard three! The idols will never picks songs this obscure!

• CMB says:

The songs he chose for Skylar are not obscure at all, but they are currently being played in heavy rotation on country stations. If she chooses one of these two, people will really be able to compare it the original. Chances are they heard it on the way home from work!

• Raven_Moon says:

At 29, I know 4 of them! I feel special. ( ; I know “Animal” by Neon Trees (Thank you free iTunes Discovery Download & by the way, I don’t think Hollie could pull it off), “Paparazzi” by Lady Gaga (because Lady Gaga is everywhere), “Already Gone” by Kelly Clarkson (because that song is awesome & Colton would rock it) & I know “Shake it Off” by Florence & the Machine (I don’t know where I heard that one. A commerical? A movie trailer? I just know that it’s stuck in my head & its driving me crazy.). I just want Phillip to go all David Cook-style & take a song that’s OK, flip it & make amazing! I liked his “Thriller” & a few others, but I feel like if could step it up a little he could really the one to beat. That being said, I hope whatever they sing, Phillip, Colton & Elise do a great job.

• May says:

I’m 21 and have heard of ONE of these songs. Feeling even better?

• Pig-tailed Deedee says:

I’m 12 and what the hell are these songs?

• bfly says:

seriously? I’m 38 and have heard almost all of those songs! Check out The Cave and Shake it Out for God’s sake!!

2. Jake says:

I hate “Lights,” but it’s actually the perfect song for Hollie. As opposed to “Animal” . . . what the what??

• corey says:

ya don’t see hollie w/ animal…weird choice

• Meghan says:

“Animal” is a truly bizarre choice and definitely not the kind of song that shows off someone’s voice with all of those “oh oh ohhhs”. “Lights” would be great for Hollie.

• Leo says:

I think Hollie should cover Kelly Clarkson, “Mr. Know It All” or “What Doesn’t Kill You”. I think she will rock those out.

• Jake says:

Agreed. Even though they beg for comparisons to the original Idol, they suit Hollie perfectly. And she sang Carrie Underwood two weeks ago, so she might just give it a shot. Of the two, I think “Mr. Know It All” wins because you can really belt the chorus.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I think Hollie needs to stay away from Kelly, Carrie, and any big voices. Taylor Swift might be better.

• Andrea says:

She’s probably singing a Kelly Clarkson. There are TWO on tonight’s set list. And Skylar is going with a Kellie Pickler song. Really, people??

3. RD says:

somewhat telling that I don’t know any of your suggestions!

4. Jessica should do Bruno Mars – Lazy Song or E.T. by Katy Perry. She probably can’t get a song cleared from Beyonce’s 4 album or she would have done it during personal idols week.

• Actually , would like to see if they do duets this week and if so would be cool to see if Jessica and Colton could pull off Somebody That I Used To Know by Goyte.

• Lee says:

I think Jessica should do either Adele or Lady Gaga. I liked how she growled last week in her duet with Joshua so I hope she continues with that this week.

I think Philllip should do The Cave by Mumford Sons.

5. noa says:

are these just songs that are only famous in the US? cause i’ve never heard of most of them… just as long as no one does Rolling in the Deep!

• darcy's evil twin says:

I’m not sure that some of these songs can be described as “famous”. Some of them are a bit obscure. Lady Gaga and Kelly Clarkson are quite famous, and the country choices for Skylar would be popular here in the US.

• Sookie says:

Please no Rolling in the Deep! I figure they will all do Adele songs.

Joshua should try “Rehab” and make it all gospelly. (yes that is a word)

6. Vivi says:

I would not be surprised if Joshua does “Jar of Hearts” again. He absolutely killed it during Hollywood (or was it Las Vegas) week.

7. Colton – Snow Patrol, Chasing Cars on piano.

• Marianne says:

Yaaaawwwn! That’s what I’d be doing if he sang that. Wait – if I were even going to watch, I’d probably be yawning at anything by Colton.

• gustyj says:

This would rule. Sadly, chasing cars came out in 2006.

• Michelle says:

As much as I hate to suggest these (still loving the originals), if he wanted to go that route he could do “This Isn’t Everything You Are” or “New York” off their new album.

8. Skyler should do “Lie” by The Band Perry

Elise should do anything by GaGa

Jessica “Who’s laughing Now?” by Jessie J

9. Renda says:

Can we have a prayer circle for no Adele?

• Melanie says:

I have a deep underlying fear that either Elise or Jessica will attempt to sing the queen of the 2012 grammys. I could see Elise trying “Someone like you”

• noa says:

i hope not. she’s already done Adele. enough

• ramification says:

Jimmy Iovine during top 24 week pretty much said everyone needs to stay away from Adele songs, so here is hoping that he advises anyone foolish enough to want to do this. I LOVE Adele, but her songs have been so overdone on reality shows.

• Matt says:

I’ll pray to that. But you know Jessica and Hollie will be too tempted not to pick the most current “diva” voice of the current decade.

10. Eric says:

I am with you on a lot if these Slezak, but 4AM for Joshua? D

11. Matt says:

Perfect, perfect choices. Totally agree with Lights and Titanium (which would be totally different for Joshua, but could be amazing). Crossing my fingers for Elise to do Mumford & Sons!

12. Joshtinpowers says:

Michael, “Paparazzi” wouldn’t fit within the “Songs From This Decade” theme….It was released on a 2008 album, and then released as a single in 2009.

• Tom says:

Yes, as Uncle Nigel intimated on his Twitter, the most likely Gaga song Elise will sing is “You and I.”

• Renda says:

I’m sure she will just be told by the judges that it’s a terrible song. Haley 2.0

• oh says:

I just read Nigels tweet about her doing “You and I”. Wonder if they made her do the song or if she picked it. Haley did the song last year….the judges don’t like the song.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

The judges didn’t like that it wasn’t a well-known song when Haley sang it. If Elise sang it and the judges praise her it would be a very strange, roundabout revenge for Haley.

• 30CamdenSquare says:

I heard that too and a chill ran up my spine. A pretty good chunk of Elise’s fans are also Haley’s fans (I should know since I am one). But I like Elise for Elise, not because I think she’s Haley Pt. 2, so the last thing I want is to hear Elise re-sing songs that Haley sang last year. The fact that they sang the same song on Whitney Houston night was no big deal, since neither are a Whitney type vocalist, but anything beyond that would not be good.

• abfidy says:

Thank you 30CamdenSquare! Is no one else DEEPLY annoyed that Elise is choosing to do yet another Haley cover? I have been advocating for weeks that it’s unfair for people to constantly be comparing Elise to Haley, because they are their own separate and very diverse artists. But damn if Elise isn’t determined to make me eat my words and remind everyone that people think she’s just like Haley! Ugh, I’m already annoyed and she hasn’t even sung it yet.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I don’t think it at all inappropriate for Elise to sing “You and I.” Haley doesn’t own the song. It’s a great fit for Elise’s voice and I can see her having a real moment with it. Elise’s cover of “I’m Your Baby Tonight” was different from Haley’s. Her Led Zepplin number was very different from Haley’s. I’ve no doubt that she’s a good enough singer and musician to make “You and I” compeltely her own.

• a reply says:

Just a reply to abfidy’s comment, Jimmy Iovine made Elise sing “i’m your baby tonight” during Whitney Houston theme week. So Jimmy is the one who chose the same Whitney song that Haley Reinhart sang last year.

• abfidy says:

I don’t have a problem with Elise covering songs that have already been sung on Idol. It’s more the idea that Elise has been connected with Haley’s image from last year by the production (the same references during critiques, same patterns of over critiquing although Haley’s seemed designed to kick her off the show while Elise’s bad critiques seem designed to fire up her voters, and now the same song suggestions) in hopes of keeping Elise in the competition. And Elise does nothing to separate herself from that. It’s frustrating. I like her a lot on her own terms, but I don’t like feeling as though I’m being brainwashed into liking Elise just because she reminds me of Haley. Or worse, I don’t like the implications that Elise is the new, improved Haley, which is what I think the producers are going for with her.

• Peter says:

Elise should sing Brandi Carlile’s “That Wasn’t Me”. That song would be perfect for Elise.

13. thefinalman says:

Phillip Phillips should be doing Mumford & Sons’ “White Blank Page”. Elise Testone should be doing an acoustic rendition of Rihanna’s “We Found Love”.

14. Eric says:

I am with you on a lot if these Slezak, but 4AM for Joshua? Don’t get me wrong, I would love to hear some of the MF life on Idol, but I think there is a better chance of Colton Dixon shaving his head and pledging his eternal soul to the Dark Lord. Also, I think Elise’s voice would be a better fit, if anyone were going to sing it.

Also, the Dark Lord in the above scenario is Randy Jackson. I can only imagine that the Dawg made some sort of Faustian pact to be able to continue to spew his non-sensical “critiques” and “catchphrases” for 11 years.

15. collins says:

how could you not want elise to do some grace potter & the nocturnals?!?

• Julie Taylor is a brat says:

ngl, Grace was my first and only choice for Elise until I realized nobody really knows GP&N (an abomination, IMO) and the judges would most likely call her out on it. But I dream of the day I hear Elise sing Colors or Things I Never Needed.

• aljal says:

I would love to hear GPN get some Idol-level exposure, but Elise has one-sixteenth of the talent the lovely Ms. Potter possesses. After hearing someone on The Voice cover “Paris,” I say we leave GPN songs to GP herself.

• Jon says:

Ooh, Elise doing Grace Potter would be nice! I feel Low Road is a good choice for her.

• JK says:

Grace is the Bomb. Maybe Elise could pull it off, maybe…. why not try???

16. Alan says:

My suggestions!
    Hollie: Rihanna – California King Bed or Bruno Mars – Grenade
    Elise: Drake – Take Care ft. Rihanna (Check Florence & the Machine’s version for reference) or Kelis – Acapella
    Philip: Mike Posner – Cooler Than Me or Frank Ocean – Swim Good
    Colton: James Blake – Limit To Your Love or Brandon Flowers – Crossfire
    Jessica: Florence & The Machine – You Got The Love (slightly bypassing the theme but oh well!) or Jessie J – Who You Are
    Joshua: Janelle Monae – Cold War or Cee-Lo Green – Bright Lights Bigger City
    Skylar: Katy Perry – The One That Got Away or Christina Perri – Jar Of Hearts

• DG says:

YES JAR OF HEARTS FOR SKYLAR.

• Templar says:

Joshua already did Jar of Hearts so not a smart idea. Hollie should consider Need You Now by Lady Antebellum.

• Mark says:

Need You Now is a duet… she should not consider hearing the judges say, “No, sorry, that doesn’t work without two people… Also, it’s about a booty call and she’s a teenager. So, ewww.

17. Julie Taylor is a brat says:

-Joshua tweeted @ Rihanna that he was thinking of doing one of her songs this week, which is either hot mess material or epic. Can’t decide. But he should do Jar of Hearts.
    -Elise could do anything Gaga on the piano. Nigel tweeted (Ugh Twitter, I hate that i’m even using this here lol) to someone suggesting “You and I” that he ‘must be psychic’. No idea if he’s serious or not. That’d be great if she did it on the piano and different from Haley’s.
    -P2- Keep Me in Mind by Zac Brown Band. or Mumford and Sons. Or he’ll completely re-work a pop song that nobody expects.
    -Hollie- over even suggesting things for her now, she’ll sing Adele because we’re not getting away with no Adele this week. Not a chance.
    -Skylar- Jason Aldean,only sligthly different from the usual country songs she sings
    -Colton- it’ll be some lame rock band he thinks he’s just like. Switchfoot? sounds right.
    -Jessica- Skyscraper by Demi Lovato or something that isn’t Beyonce since she just did her. Her youtubes are really diverse in her covers, so she’ll probably pick something great.

• Lee says:

I’d like to see Jessica do Bad Romance.

• aljal says:

The more I think about that, the more awesome it sounds.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I like the song but I’m not sure if the lyrics are suitable for a 16 year old. My eight year old niece walks around belting out that song and fortunately she doesn’t know all the lyrics.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I dunno. If they choose the right verses to cut, it might not be that objectionable. The lyrics are pretty abstract in and of themselves.
            And let’s not forget that sweet little Hollie sung Madonna’s Like a Prayer a few weeks ago, which is basically a song about fellatio. Bad Romance is tame compared to that.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Okay then, good point. IMO “Bad Romance” is more overt than “Like a Prayer” but hey, considering some of the stuff that’s been done on Idol I guess nothing is outside the realm of possibility.

• Tara says:

Switchfoots new album is actually quite good. Afterlife would be a great song on AI.

18. Tahoe Mike says:

I have to recuse myself from this one, I have heard of none of these songs. Annie Barrett’s quote (from EW) from earlier this season is ringing in my ears, “This.., is American Adele!”

19. Christina says:

You ready to have an aneurysm Slezak, because Nigel is hinting on Twitter that Elise is doing “You and I”

• Stacey says:

Hayley did it last year, I think she’s making a mistake if she did. She’s already been compared to her…

• Julie Taylor is a brat says:

but if Elise slowed it down and performed it on the piano, it’d be different enough from Haley’s that I don’t think it’d be a problem. And as much as I love Haley, I don’t know if the uninvested Idol fan would remember You and I from last year because… wait for it….. my apologies….they didn’t know it then.

• Sheila says:

It could be Haley/Elise revenge. Remember how JLO trashed Haley for singing an unreleased song. Elise could sing it and the end, say, “heard of it now, Jenny?” Oh well only my dreams.

• Mark says:

“You and I” is also a great freaking song. It was great last year (when poor J.Lo hadn’t heard it and Haley flat out killed it)… I’m sure Elise would kill it as well, but the judges will still throw her under an 18 wheeler.

• Brigette says:

Casey Abrams said in an interview that he thinks Elise has “Haley Syndrome.” Oh man, wouldn’t this seal the deal? But if Elise sings it and the judges DO like it, they better not diss Haley’s version in the process! I think Elise could pull it off and sound amazing.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Randy: “Last year, we had a singer come out and struggle with this song, but you absolutely killed it!”
          I think Elise would do a great take on this tune. And I like the above suggestion that she sing it while playing the piano; show off those skills, girl.

20. Stacey says:

I want someone to do Britney Spears. Her “Femme Fetale” CD came out in 2011. It would be interesting to see Jessica or Hollie do one of her songs. Skylar probably will stick to one of the newer hot country. Hopefully not Miranda since she already did her… Reba has had some new stuff that have been hits. Lauren did The Band Perry’s If I die Young last year, so Skylar should stay away from that… Please Elise stay away from Adele. I think they should stay away from Kelly Clarkson. Like Carrie Underwood; it’s hard to be compared.

21. I thought a decade was a period of 10 years – 2010-2012 is two years. ?

22. Emmits says:

Fly over states would guarantee Skylar a place in the top 6, it rings the same “American Values” message as Scotty last season or Kristy Lee Cook however long ago.

• Karrah says:

Agreed. Or “Home” by Dierks Bentley would be along those same lines.

• 30CamdenSquare says:

That maybe true in a general sense, but I live in the middle of flyover country & I’ll probably just be watching AI as long as Elise is still on the show. I’m far more interested in Lindsey, Jordis & Juliet, on The Voice, than anyone, other than Elise, on Idol.

• 30CamdenSquare says:

Um nevermind, misread your post. Fly over states is a song. I get it. Yeah, go American Values.

23. Michael C. says:

Too bad DeAndre didn’t make it to this week. He would have been amazing on Scissor Sisters’ “I Don’t Feel Like Dancing.”

24. J says:

Elise should do a Lady Gaga song. I don’t care which one, because she’ll do amazing on either. Looking at Nigel’s tweet, it looks like she will! (YAY!!!!)

I don’t know why, but I would like to hear Skylar take on “Dirt Road Anthem” by Jason Aldean. But she might try The Band Perry’s “The Way You Lie.”

Colton might do a modern rock song. I would love to hear him sing Coldplay or he might go for one of his favorites, Paramore.

Hollie should try Bruno Mars’ “Grenade” or Wonder Girls “Be My Baby (English version).”

I can totally see Joshua singing Usher and Guetta’s “Without You.” He’ll sound amazing.

Phillip: “Somebody That I Used to Know” by Goyte or any Mumford and Sons song.

Jessica should go for a Rihanna song.

25. Meghan says:

Elise absolutely must sing “Paparazzi” by Lady Gaga – have a feeling this would be a real Idol moment for her. But of course J Lo will say something like “you can’t take on Lady Gaga” or some inane critique of Elise in response.

26. IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

I heard on Twitter that Elise is doing Lady Gaga’s “You and I,” the song Haley rocked last year (this wasn’t from Elise herself, but the source was credible). Reactions?

• Tusk says:

Elise must run away from Haley comparison’s, I think that would be a bad choice if she’s trying to gather the Halien support (most would probably say “Haley did it better”).
      It was OK early in the competition as people were learning what Elise is all about, but she needs to differentiate herself and be “this year’s Elise” and not “This year’s Haley”

• My Alter Ego says:

Good point, although I believe there is one comparison (that I made a little over a week ago) that I think is still accurate.

Elise has to pick the right song, and her performance must be stellar!

27. adam says:

would love to hear elise sing grace potter and the nocturnals “paris (ooh la la)”

28. Karrah says:

Elise- “Paris (Oh La La)” by Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. Actually I’d be stoked if ANY of them did this song.

Skylar- “Colder Weather” by Zac Brown Band, “This is Country Music” by Brad Paisley, or on the opposite end of the spectrum, “Grenade” by Bruno Mars.

Phillip- He needs to do something softer and slower this week. I’m thinking David Guetta and Usher, “Without You.”

Hollie- “King of Anything” by Sara Bareilles would be kind of upbeat and fun with a fun message.

Jessica- Something different for her would be “Perfect” by Pink.

Joshua- “Dog Days Are Over” by Florence + The Machine. I think he’d nail this song.

Colton- I’d like to see him back at the piano. Maybe something like Gavin DeGraw, “Soldier.”

If anybody flips something on its head like Britney’s “Till the World Ends” (like Miss Kelly Clarkson did recently) or anything of the like that would win the night for me.

• dilia says:

i really want colton to sing hold it against me by brittney. on the piano all stripped down and slowed like that(. check sam tsuis cover on youtube for reference)

29. Phan says:

Colton – “Every Teardrop is a Waterfall” by Coldplay or “Outta My Head” by Daughtry.
    Elise – “Glitter in the Air” by P!nk or Company of Thieves’ “Tallulah”, “Someone That I Used to Know” by Goyte
    Hollie – “Shake it Out” or “You Got the Love” by Florence and the Machine, Katy Perry’s “The One That Got Away” (the acoustic version), “Call Me Maybe” by Carly Rae Jepsen
    Jessica – “Telephone” by Lady Gaga ft. Beyonce, “Mr. Know it All” Kelly Clarkson
    Joshua – “Without You” David Guetta and Usher, Mary Mary’s “Walking”, Rihanna’s “We Found Love”
    Phil – “Howling For You” by the Black Keys, “ET” by Katy Perry
    Skylar – “Need You Now” by Lady Antebellum, “Banjo” by Rascal Flatts

• IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

“Outta My Head” would be a huge risk, since Daughtry himself did it on a results show a few weeks ago. But hey, that din’t scare Kris Allen away from “Heartless…”

30. Brandon says:

I would love to see Phillip do The Cave by Mumford and Suns, much more than Elise. I was thinking about that yesterday actually while listening to the cd.

31. Sandi says:

I would love to see someone (Colton or Jessica) sing Florence and the Machine or Muse.

32. MusicFan says:

Jessica: Melanie Fiona “4am” (I do not think Joshua could interpret this song as well as Jessica could)

Joshua: NeYo’s “One in A Million” (or CeeLo’s “Forget You”

Elise: Florence & The Machine “No Light No Light” (I’ve been hoping Elise would do one of their songs accept I want a No Light No Light performance. She could easily take the night with this one and I wouldn’t be mad about a lambert/durbin/TESTONE shake down on the Idol building.

33. dilia says:

jessica: who you are jessie j
    Hollie: skyscraper demi lovato or firework katy perry
    joshua: we found love rihanna
    colton: hold it against me brittany spears stripped down at the piano (check out sam tsuis cover version to see what i mean
    skylar: if i die young the band perry
    elise: cosmic love florence and the machine
    phillip: how to love lil wayne (or any hip hop type song he could make his own)

34. Jane says:

I’m sure Joshua will find a song from the 1970′s that someone recently covered, and voila! There’s his “current” song.
    Also, maybe Nigel meant the last 10 years, not just the last 2. At least that would give them more song choices.
    If not, here are some of my suggestions
    Jessica- Only Girl in the World (she could show Rhianna how to actually sing)
    Skylar- You Belong With Me
    Hollie- Firework
    Elise- Born This Way, or Stronger
    Phillip- The Lazy Song
    Colton- Every Teardrop is a Waterfall

35. Brigette says:

I agree that Hollie could rock out “Lights,” and good call with the R&B suggestions for Philip! If those girls are going to keep power-dialing him in week after week, he needs to do something more unexpected to excite me.

36. sandra says:

You picked a great song for Phillip Phillips J Cole’s “Work Out” He could kill it.

37. Devon Cedres says:

Colton – skyscraper by demi lovato. I think with the piano he would sound INCREDIBLE or may be Airplanes by B.O.B and hayley williams
    Jessica – King of Anything by Sara Baraliies her voice would sound amazing singing this song
    Hollie – maybe the climb or when I Lookk At You by Miley Cyrus
    Elise – Edge of Glory by Lady Gaga
    Phillip – Misery by Maroon
    Joshua – maybe a Chris Brown song
    Skylar – Sparks Fly by Taylor Swift

• Shana says:

Hollie sung both of those miley cyrus songs last season.. and didnt make the cut. I don’t think she’ll sing miley again.
      Joshua sing Chris Brown? he’d be asking to be eliminated..

38. Jason says:

Philip Philips – I don’t know what to do With My Self – White Stripes

Elise Testone – Use Somebody – Kings of Leon

Colton Dixon – Extraordianry Machine – Fiona Apple

Josua Ledet – Firework – Katy Perry

Skylar Laine – Georgia Peaches – Lauren ELaina

Jessica Sanchez – Dog Days are Over – Florence Against The MAchine

Hollie – Does it really matter at this point? “Aint No Other MAn – Christina Aguilera I guess!!

39. IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

They did a ton of contemporary songs on last year’s tour, so I’m hoping not to hear any of those songs, since last’s year’s tour was all kinds of awesome (but we’l probably get at least one of them anyway because my voice doesn’t count). Here’s my “forbidden” list:
    Lady Gaga: “Born This Way”
    Alicia Keys: “Empire State of Mind (Part II)”
    Rihanna: “California King Bed”
    Selena Gomez: “Who Says”
    Janelle Monae: “Tightrope”
    Jennifer Lopez: “On the Floor” (it would be a bad idea to do this in front of Jennifer anyway; if the girl screws it up, she’ll rip her to shreds)
    Neon Trees: “Animal”
    Katy Perry: “Firework”
    Bruno Mars: “Grenade”
    Usher: “DJ Got Us Fallin’ In Love”
    Cee Lo Green: “Forget You”
    And let’s not forget all the current stuff that we heard last season:
    The Band Perry: “If I Die Young” (shining moment for Lauren)
    Adele: “Rolling in the Deep” (Haley nailed it)
    Usher: “OMG” (semifinal disaster)
    Rihanna: “Only Girl in the World” (also a semifinal disaster)
    Am I missing any?
    (Actually, I bet Nigel won’t let them do any songs by Maroon 5, Blake Shelton, Christina Aguilera, or Cee Lo Green. It would be unintentional promotion for the enemy.)

40. 8P says:

I LUV flyover sates and somethin bout a truck ik all the lyrics but for hollie i was thinking more like domino by jessie jay

41. 8P says:

also without u by gavin degraw for colton

42. 8P says:

if somebody totally changed the arrangement of how to love by lil wayne that dud make my day and be a moment

43. Anyone wanna bet on Hollie being the leadoff spot on Wednesday night or mismatching her on the duet? Because if that happens, I’m gonna cut someone.

That being said, maybe Jessie J’s “Price Tag” or Taylor Swift’s “Back to December” should be interesting for her.

Jessica – “Baby” by Bieber or Katy Perry’s “Teenage Dream”
    Colton “Dreams Don’t Turn to Dust” by Owl City or “Nothing” by The Script
    Joshua – Christina Perri’s “Jar of Hearts” or
    Elise – Paramore’s “The Only Exception” (on piano) or “Perfect” by P!nk
    Phil – “Tonight Tonight” by Hot Chelle Rae or Mike Posner’s “Cooler Than Me”
    Skylar – The Band Perry “If I Die Young” or Kelly Clarkson’s “What Doesn’t Kill You”

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Well, Hollie hasn’t gone first yet…
      But then again, neither have Skylar, Jessica, or Elise.
      And Deandre went first twice. Guh. If they put Hollie first, they definitely want her gone, and they’ll probably get their wish.

• I guess there’s a good chance that Skylar gets the leadoff since typically, the last performer last week gets the first one in the next week. Elise probably won’t since she was near the first spot. And Jess, that can go either way.

But from the looks of last week, the bus is revving up for Hollie and that’ll suck balls if she gets set up like that. And I doubt they’d use the save on her.

• sara says:

Deandre never even got to perform in the second half of the show, poor boy was seriously bussed.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Yeah, they owed him a pimp slot or something close to a pimp slot last week. I don’t think they were too concerned about him.
          Also, it just occurred to me that none of the girls, including Erika and Shannon, EVER went first. They really do want a girl to win this year!

44. Emily says:

Phil: Beg Steal or Borrow (Ray LaMontagne) or Lonely Boy (The Black Keys)
    Colton: Cough Syrup (Young the Giant-technically released on an obscure EP in 2008 but not released as a YGT single until 2011) or Without You (David Guetta)
    Hollie: Shake It Out (Florence and the Machine-would let her be upbeat and still give her the opportunity to belt out some sustained notes, which is her speciality) or King of
    Anything (Sara Bareilles)
    Jessia: Love the Way You Lie Pt. 2 (Rihanna) or Skyscraper(Demi Lovato)
    Elise: The Cave (Mumford and Sons) or Only If For a Night (Florence and the Machine)
    Skylar: Barton Hollow (The Civil Wars) or a countryfied version of Jar of Hearts (Christina Perri-maybe with just a guitar as accompaniment)
    Joshua: It Will Rain (Bruno Mars) or Turning Tables (Adele-as a guy, he won’t get compared as much to her vocals, and it’s not RitD/SLY)

45. Kelly says:

phillips gf said she like his son choice this week and last week she said she didnt like it ended up sucking so hopefully she is right again this week and he kills it.

46. darcy's evil twin says:

Joshua Ledet – Taylor Swift’s “Back to December”
    Elise Testone Nelly’s “Just a Dream”
    Skylar Laine – Gavin DeGraw’s ”I’m not over you”
    Colton Dixon – Bruno Mars’ “Runaway Baby”
    Jessica Sanchez – Lady Antebellum’s “American Honey”
    Phillip Phillips – Train’s “Save Me, San Francisco”
    Hollie Cavanagh – Lady Gaga’s “Telephone”

47. EvaneSam says:

For Elise I would like maybe What do you want from me from Adam Lambert. Colton could do another Paramore song.

48. 30CamdenSquare says:

First off Michael’s choice of Mumfords & Sons – The Cave is completely wrong for Elise. There isn’t even a hint of blues in that song it’s a European folk type of song and has nothing in common w/ her vocal style. If she were to cover modern folk “Down by the Water” by The Decemberists would be an infinitely better choice since it has a comparatively bluesier feel to it.

Some other songs, I’d like to hear Elise sing… For the love of god, I hope she’s not singing “You & I” on Wednesday. I love Haley, but the last thing Elise needs to do is re-cover the songs Haley already sang on the show.

Either “Tighten Up” or “I’m Afraid to Love You” by The Black Keys
    “Sail” by AWOL Nation
    But what I’d like to hear her sing the most is “Skinny Love” by Bon Iver. She needs to be a little bit careful w/ this one because Birdy did a gorgeous remake of this song, but I think if Elise puts her own unique style & emotion into it, it could put her back into contention.

• sara says:

“Skinny love” was released in 2008, unfortunately. Sure would have been interesting though!

• 30CamdenSquare says:

Thanks Sara. I didn’t know that. I still think she’d be able to do it though because Birdy had a hit w/ her remake in 2011.

Another song Birdy remade that same year is The XX’s “Shelter”. That’s another one I’d love to hear Elise perform.

• sara says:

Oh ok, I thought that Birdy cover was only a youtube thing, my bad. In that case, sure! And holy crap, Shelter would be awesome awesome.

• 30CamdenSquare says:

Birdy became famous as a result of winning a UK talent show called Open Mic UK & she recently released her first album after having a fairly big hit w/ “Skinny Love” a minor hit w/ “Shelter”. I agree w/ you though, I think “Shelter” would be an even better choice for Elise.

• sara says:

(I can’t reply to your latest post 30CamdenSquare, so I’m putting it here) I had no idea who this Birdy person is, I only knew the “Skinny love” cover and thought she was just another Pixie Lott wannabe. I just thought of something completely different for Elise – how about “Fireflies” by Owl City? I think the grit in her voice could take away from the tons of sugar this song is covered in.

I wish the theme had been the last decade instead, we could have had so many more and really great choices to toy around with from that one.

• sara says:

Nevermind, Fireflies was 2009…

• 30CamdenSquare says:

If the theme was 21st Century, my suggestions for Elise would be Amy Winehouse – “Tear Dry on Their Own”, Amy Winehouse – “Back to Black”, Amy Winehouse – “Wake Up Alone”, & Amy Winehouse – “Stronger Than Me”. IF Elise could really nail one of Amy’s songs, that could be huge for her. I think Elise has the soulful phrasing to pull it off. The tough part is that Amy had a Contra-Alto voice, so her songs can sound like something is missing w/o that full low end.

49. Leo says:

Jessica or Joshua should sing David Guetta’s Without You but the slow ballad version Glee covered. Darn! Goosies just thinking about it!

50. sara says:

This week isn’t as fun and actually difficult for me, because I feel like there have only been 25 popular songs altogether, of which pretty much all sound the same and only a few actually are any good. (Why yes, I am insanely old, at least by this show’s standards)

Anyway, here it goes:

* Colton: Gotye – Somebody that I used to know // Foo Fighters – Walk

* Elise: Lana del Rey – Video games // Beach House – Real Love (yeah right) // Boy – Little numbers (Nobody outside of Central Europe has even ever heard of this song, so I guess I’m just mentioning it so you guys can check it out. It is very very lovely)

* Hollie: Florence and the Machine – Shake it out

* Jessica: Jessie J – Who you are // La Roux – Bulletproof

* Joshua: Janelle Monae – Tightrope // Aloe Blacc – Loving you is killing me (!!)

* Phillip: LMFAO – Sexy and I know it (Honestly don’t care about him enough to give this more thought)

* Skylar: Katy Perry – Firework

The only ones I feel strongly about are my choices for Josh and Hollie, especially Joshua’s would be a perfect perfect fit I think.

And some duets/trios for good measure:

* Skylar & Phillip: Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros – Home

* Elise & Colton: Jason Aldean & Kelly Clarkson – Don’t you wanna stay

* Joshua, Hollie, Jessica: Pitbull, Ne-yo, Afrojack ft everyone and their mother – Give me everything // Enrique Iglesias – I like it

• 30CamdenSquare says:

I like your list & love that you have Lana Del Rey on it for Elise, even though I think Lana would be hard to cover. What about Blues Jeans instead of Video Games though. It’s not nearly as slow to begin w/ & it picks up even more at the Bridge.

I going to be selfish & say that I’d like to hear Colton & Elise sing “Somebody I Used to Know” as a duet.

• sara says:

Thank you! I see what you’re saying about it being difficult to cover a Lana song, but I think Elise could do really well with making it a more ‘sincere’ and heartfelt song, if that makes any sense? I had never heard Blue Jeans until just now, but it would be cool too.
        And I absolutely agree on the Colton & Elise cover, I can hear it in my head and it sounds awesome. For some reason I find it so much easier to find a fitting song for Colton than for anyone else with these current themes, I guess that says something about his relevancy and versatility.

• Tim says:

I was thinking of Lana Del Rey for Elise too, although maybe something like Born to Die.

For Phillip, Helplessness Blues By Fleet Foxes would be cool.

• 30CamdenSquare says:

Yeah actually the melody in “Born to Die” would probably suit Elise’s style better than “Blue Jeans”. The main reason I didn’t suggest that one is because of the line “Let’s go get high” in the chorus, which I think is unavoidable & I think Idol would censor it.

I’d never heard of Helplessness Blues before, but just listened to it & don’t know what sort of havoc applying Phillip’s big ol’ gnarly growl to that pristine folk sound of theirs would cause, but It’d be interesting.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Sara – your comment about there being only 25 popular songs from which to choose made me laugh. If you listen to country music there is a wide variety of songs from which to choose (some of them have been crossover hits, like Taylor Swift songs and Jason Aldean/Kelly clarkson’s “Don’t You Wanna Stay”), although I didn’t choose a country song for Skylar on my list.
      And I’m old as well. In fact, by this show’s standards I’ve been dead for three years. Oh, wait – maybe not. Steven Tyler is older than me. ;-)
      I also laughed at your choice of “Sexy and I Know It” for Phillip. I’m not sure that song would do any damage to his chances.

• sara says:

You know what, I just realized that P2 singing the line “This is how I roll, animal print pants outta control” is exactly what the world needs. Too bad he apparently always ‘puts music first’.
        I live in Europe and country is pretty much non-existent here, I only know Taylor Swift from her appearances on gossip blogs and the grammy’s. When I look at the stuff that’s been on the billboard charts the past 2 years, it’s kind of hard to believe that it isn’t all the same club remix of the same David Guetta version of the same damn song a million times over. Now if you excuse me, I have some kids to chase off my lawn…

• darcy's evil twin says:

Okay, if you live in Europe you’re forgiven for not being familiar with country music. Country is truly an American art form although one of our biggest country stars (Keith Urban) is an Aussie and there are a few Canadians tossed in the mix as well. Apparently people listen to it world-wide, though, because our country stars are always touring Europe. One of Garth Brooks’ biggest concerts ever was in Ireland – it looked like everyone on the island showed up. And there’s always satellite radio.
          I think anyone that sings anything by Bon Iver should automatically be sent to the Stools of Doom – even before the vote, LOL. I’m still stunned that he won Best New Artist at the (American) Grammys rather than The Band Perry, a group that has more talent than the law should allow.

• sara says:

Oh I know Garth Brooks of course, and other legends like Willie Nelson, Dolly, Patsy, etc. I also have two Miranda Lambert albums and know some stuff by The Band Perry, Lady Antebellum etc, it’s just that I have to look these things up on purpose (often after hearing it on Idol actually) because we just aren’t exposed to it at all here in Central Europe. I’m sure that it’s different in the UK as you mentioned, probably because so much in country music is based on storytelling and language barriers kind of get in the way. That’s probably why Europe is paradise for all the David Guettas and Pitbulls in the world, absolutely no language skills needed.

And I agree on Bon Iver – I actually liked his first album at the time, but didn’t even bother listen to the second one all the way through. There is a sea of guys out there that can do what he does and better, and probably wouldn’t have such an attitude about it. I’m assuming the Grammys were trying to be ‘hip’ with that choice, too bad they were outhipped by Mr. Indie himself… ;)

• darcy's evil twin says:

I’d never thought about your comment about country music telling a story and losing something in the language translation. That’s an interesting observation. I have relatives in the UK and much of our country music is lost on them. Very few people in the UK drive a pickup truck and they certainly don’t own a gun, LOL. I can’t imagine Natasha Beddingfield singing about hiding behind a door with a shotgun, smoking a cigarette, and waiting for her abusive man to walk through the door so she can blow him away. That would sound bizarre in the UK but it’s typical country fare here in the US.

I actually forced myself to listen to Gotye’s “Somebody that I used to know” when it came on the radio today. I’m thinking anyone that sings that song could re-work it somehow and make it sound better than the original, which is kind of dull in my opinion. I am partial to songs with more of a melody. Heck, even AC/DC’s “Back in Black” has a melody.