Idology: Jimmy for Judge? Plus: Jessica's Song-Choice Woes and Some Final 2 Fantasies

Would Jimmy Iovine make a better American Idol judge than mentor? Which member of the Top 8 would be better off as part of a duo or trio than flying solo? And what’s the correct contestant combination for the Season 11 Top 2? Those are just a few of the questions that Season 6 standout Melinda Doolittle and I discuss as part of this week’s Idology.

We also take a deep dive into what went wrong for Elise Testone, dish Colton Dixon’s peculiar pronunciations, and offer some advice to help Jessica Sanchez and Phillip Phillips advance from Top 5 locks to contenders for the Idol crown.

So press play below for this week’s Idology dose, then hit the comments with your opinions. And for all my Idol news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (194)

• Early, aren’t we?

Comment by Joseph Padilla (@jpad319) – April 8, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Slezak has an uncanny ability to foresee the future. It was s8 Top 13 when he predicted (or hoped) that Kris Allen, Adam Lambert and Allison Iraheta would be the Top 3. He was only wrong about Allison (she came in 4th)

Comment by TwistAndShout – April 8, 2012 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, what I meant was I’d typically see Idology Monday morning, so I’m pleasantly surprised to see it up today.

Interesting though that they never really delved into some issues: one being P2′s reaction of Jimmy’s criticism. And also, what I would’ve really wanted was for them to delve into the “Hollie (and Elise) meet bus” and the “Team Hollie vs Team Jessica” crap the Idol folks are pulling.

One thing to note: Melinda would like a Jess, Josh, Sky and Colt Top 4. Wonder what happened to Elise and P2.

Comment by Joseph Padilla (@jpad319) – April 8, 2012 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I didn’t get that from what Melinda said. I thought she was saying those were her top 4 for that night, not how she wanted the Finals to be.

Comment by TheBeach – April 8, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sereiously? Here comes another 45 posts of Phillip Phillips hate… you’re like a broken record Joe.

Comment by Tarc – April 8, 2012 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • “Interesting though that they never really delved into some issues: one being P2′s reaction of Jimmy’s criticism.” ~~They did. They said he addressed it on Facebook the next day, saying he misunderstood what Jimmy meant, and then they giggled that P2 didn’t get the metaphor.

Comment by Terri – April 8, 2012 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Considering how noisy and nerve-wracking the Idol stage is on Thur. night, I’m not surprised that P2 misunderstood Jimmie’s comment. Aren’t there more important matters in the world than wondering if P2 understand what a metaphor is.

Comment by Lee – April 9, 2012 01:02 PM PDT
    • There are a ton of Idol articles posted on Mondays for rabid Idol fans. Sunday is much better if they can manage to keep doing it. As far as Jimmy as a judge, he is usually bang on with his commentary but it is clearly the distilled opinion of critics and the public at large. I am skeptical his assessment live would seem as accurate. Except for hating on DeAndre’s generally well received performance, nothing in his commentary has really struck me as not just parroting the consensus opinion.

Comment by PunkSkittle (@GashleyT) – April 8, 2012 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE IT!

Comment by RodMod – April 8, 2012 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Michael and Melinda must have called each other first. Heinous black plaid!

Comment by the real wendy – April 8, 2012 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was wondering if it was officially “Black Plaid Day?”

Comment by nodak – April 9, 2012 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know people are getting bored of Philip’s shtick but isn’t Joshua doing the same thing every week too… I mean “When a Man Loves a Woman”, “Without You” and “If You Don’t Know Me By Now” have all pretty much been the same performance… Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE his voice but I think he’s in desperate need of changing it up and I think he’ll kinda be forced to this week with the theme, hopefully he will anyway because he’s in my top 3 if not top 2 (Songs from this decade ie. 2010, 2011 or 2012).

Comment by Alan – April 8, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think you are right, I think Joshua is incredible, but he is doing the same type of performance every week. I remember when he did I wish and that was very uptempo, but did not get the praise he is getting for his power ballads, so he found what is getting him standing O’s and is sticking to it, same thing as Phillip, but Phillips is getting more crap for doing that because his performances arent as amazing as Joshua’s.
      I’m afraid Skyler is going to want to start doing more power songs now because the judges praised her for her big voice and want her to continue using it. I love when she hits those notes, but I don’t want her to loose the fun skyler whose performance i love.
      The only reason i keep secretly rooting for Hollie is because i love her voice and she seems to be trying really hard. I hope she can give an amazing performance this week or she will go home.

Comment by James – April 8, 2012 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hope Hollie does well this week. She seems happier on Twitter at least.

Comment by Erica – April 8, 2012 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Highly doubtful.

Comment by Marianne – April 8, 2012 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • James, I couldn’t agree more with every word that you said. So thank you, I don’t need to post anything else today! ;)

Comment by Princess Adora – April 8, 2012 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re right. Joshua does do the same thing each week…but he hits his notes. Phillip doesn’t do that consistently.

Comment by Ann – April 9, 2012 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • But he’s pretty consistent about not hitting them ;-).

Comment by My Alter Ego – April 9, 2012 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Because I am an old broad I appreciate Joshua’s song selections. Keep them coming, please.

Comment by swaprat – April 9, 2012 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You get a Made Me Laugh and I Agree! :-)
          Current or not I am really enjoying Joshua’s performances.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 10, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I gotta say I totally agree re: Hollie…just as you said James.
        And because she started off as my favorite voice (though there really is so much talent of different types this year and I like something about all of them now.) She has so much potential that perhaps just hasn’t quite matured and gelled yet. She IS trying so hard, and has so much in that voice she just hasn’t finessed well enough to really show it and wow the audience. I hope she has a (nother) moment (she did have one a few weeks ago, I forget which big ballad..) I’m rooting for her too…because she really has the goods, I want to see her pull through and show us something special. I think a big problem for her is her apparent inexperience and comfort with performing, that is getting in her way. I think she knows how to sing, but put it together live and add movement and sometimes (not in the group numbers) she gets thrown a bit.
        I also think the audience was rooting for her too because of her obvious talent…but as others started to outshine her they couldn’t help vote more for others. I think a lot of people would love for her to surprise us going forward and stay in.

Comment by Amy – April 10, 2012 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I meant “discomfort” with performing.

Comment by Amy – April 10, 2012 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He also seems to have that choir with him every time.

Comment by Erica – April 8, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Several people have this problem… Philip, Hollie, Joshua. The problem is, when others change it up, like say Jessica doing some upbeat numbers, they inevitably score their worst What Not to Sing scores compared to what she would have likely scored by doing ‘another ballad’. So I can see the hesitancy of contestants to do variety when people are responding positively to the styles they’ve already shown their appreciation for and more negatively for something new.

Comment by PunkSkittle (@GashleyT) – April 8, 2012 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And they will get the “you’re not being true to yourself” or “that’s not what kind of artist I see you becoming” comments from the judges.

The old themes were corny and restrictive – but they forced people out of their “grooves” and we got to see a wonderful variety of things (and some frightful performances as well). Personally I liked DC singing little sparrow, gokey singing come rain or shine, Allison singing Papa was a rolling stone, and Carley singing JCSuperstar. But I understand that these didn’t position contestants as successful recording artists. The new format discourages variety and on top of that I’m convinced the judges still want to keep most of the girls in the Thia Magia Ghetto.

Comment by ladyhelix – April 8, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think that the judges’ comments, inane and irrelevant as they usually are, have not helped but rather hurt these contestants growth as artists.

Comment by TheBeach – April 8, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Joshua’s I wish was very upbeat and incredible but he went first that night and ended up in the bottom 3 the following night so I think he’s more comfortable doing the slower songs because he’s scared of being in the bottom again.

Comment by Shana – April 8, 2012 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • In truth he ended up in the bottom six – there were 3 guys in the bottom and the 3 girls in the bottom. We don’t really know where he was in terms of actual votes.

Comment by My Alter Ego – April 9, 2012 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To be honest, the ‘doing the same thing over and over’ is a pretty poor argument. These kids only get a pretty limited list of songs that have been cleared (and yes, that is as pathetic as it sounds when the other music shows get almost carte blanche). On top of that, they are placed under heavy pressure to find/create an identifiable sound/genre. Joshua always sings gospel/soul, Jessica and Hollie rarely vary from big ballads (and then only to uptempo power divas). Etc. Etc. The contestant are going to sing whatever they end up singing (a lot times not anything they really wanted, and honestly, it invariably ends up better of they change it up to their style. Sometimes that means that, for some, it sounds ‘the same’.

Comment by Tarc – April 8, 2012 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Joshua’s screams last week made my ears bleed. Surely, I can’t be the only that felt that way. I have liked his singing on more than one occasion, but good grief, this week was way over the top. And not in a good way.

Comment by ear plugs plz – April 8, 2012 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The J & J duet was great, but for me, MOANIN’ was still THE BEST! #Haley!

Comment by Marianne – April 8, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto, my friend!

Comment by Brigette – April 8, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Both duets are now Idol classics in my book. Also quite cool that Haley gave Jessica such a gracious vote of confidence on twitter 3/8/12, “Should have placed my bet the minute after I heard u sing.. I knew;) You shine so brightly darling! Nothing can stop you now.”

Comment by HudsonRiverside – April 8, 2012 11:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Marianne, you make an excellent point. While Jessica and Joshua did a terrific job with their duet, they lacked that spark that Haley and Casey bring when they perform together.

Besides that, the song choice (“Moanin”) was something so unexpected (and unheard of by many!) and the fact that they did it — well, to quote J-Lo “like they’d been performing together all their lives!”

It was — MAGIC!

Comment by My Alter Ego – April 9, 2012 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Colton – just NO. Sorry. Boring ~ yawn.

Comment by Marianne – April 8, 2012 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you. Yes, he’s current–too current. He sounds like everything else on the radio. He just gets lost to me amongst the other interesting voices. Micheal’s comment about South Park imitating an emo band– oh my god, it’s the most spot on thing I think I’ve ever heard.

Comment by Brigette – April 8, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Michael’s comments about the lady shirts …LOL is all I have to say to that.

Comment by Shana – April 8, 2012 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • People still listen to the radio? Really?

Comment by ladyhelix – April 8, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m telling you, girl – satellite radio. It’s the best!

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 10, 2012 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So, Brigette, we’ve agreed on Colton and “Moanin’”! Let’s see if we agree on Deandre. I ADORE this kid! (Bet you don’t ;)

Comment by Marianne – April 8, 2012 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I LOVE DeAndre! Let’s me best friends, Marianne!

Comment by Brigette – April 9, 2012 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • *be

Comment by Brigette – April 9, 2012 08:40 AM PDT
  • Deandre also had to fight the uphill battle of going first (again). Hard to get people voting based on one of your best performances of the season if they don’t tune in until after you’ve performed!

Comment by kcostell – April 8, 2012 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, it went way beyond the realm of plausible deniability to say he wasn’t purposely thrown under the bus. Aside from almost always going early, this week he got the death spot and had BOTH of his performances before Joshua even did one. He was gone in a week or two anyway but it was only the show being against him that saw Hollie beat him out.

Comment by PunkSkittle (@GashleyT) – April 8, 2012 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m really going to miss Deandre. He was the one who was improving each week. And I love an underdog. To me, he was the only one who could be considered one.

I know what’s done is done, and that’s fine. I’m just bored with Idol now. Everyone is so talented (that’s a good thing, I know) that I think they have finished improving. All of the contestants have their “wheelhouse,” and I don’t see any of them venturing out of it.

I kind of like the “amateur” side of Idol, not necessary the professional side.

Comment by karenb – April 8, 2012 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I really don’t think of the 1st spot as the death spot — that would be Spot #2. People always remember the first one – for better or worse. It’s spot 2 that comes too late to stand out and too early to remember.

Comment by patrick – April 11, 2012 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Colton sounded like he had a cold to me. And I’m surprised no one mentioned that Time After Time is another metaphor for seeking God. :) Skylar seemed to be angry at whoever was the wind beneath her wings. If Jessica shakes her microphone fingers one more time I might have to bribe someone to superglue them down. (I know that’s not really a critique but she’s that good!) Joshua reads very gospel to me. Nothing wrong with gospel, of course, but we’ve had better on the show. I liked Hollie’s dress and while I do agree she overthinks alot, I just don’t think her vocals were THAT bad. Elise got the “you look pretty” critique this week. That’s a bad sign. I wasn’t even a fan of her Whole Lotta Love (thanks for that Adam) but this week was even worse. I’m going to mimic Jimmy and predict her bottom three slot before she even sings a note this Wednesday. I disagree with Jimmy that Phillip was “good” last week. He was horrible, but mark my words he will break top 4 easily. I really wish DeAndre had waited a few more years to audition and get on the show. I could always see the potential but that’s all it ever really was. I don’t think that the themes have thus far stretched the contestants. I think Jimmy tries to make the contestants stretch themselves, not because he’s trying to “mold” them but because they often underestimate themselves. Michael you really come down hard on Randy but he is like my comforting teddybear. He may not make alot of sense sometimes but he is far and away a better judge than Steven.

Comment by desifish2011 – April 8, 2012 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Re: Time After Time-Colton-Jesus stuff. Enough already. He’s DOWN with Jesus. I get it. I see it. He probably has a promise ring and a virgin bracelet. It’s all so 2004. And it also comes across as calculated and pandering. Something got lost with Colton from the kid on the piano to now.. SPEAK THROUGH YOUR MUSIC and stop trying to make this Christian soft rock thing happen. Take notes from Kris Allen. For me, he’s reaching Gokey level of annoyance. The voice is so phoney and affected and if there’s truly a WGWG on this show (just put piano in the place of guitar) and it’s Colton. Meodiocre talanet, producer’s pick, and always giving “a special message.” Blech. It’s everything I hate about this show. Sad thing…it’s probably not even his fault. He’s drinking the Nigel Kool-Aid.

Comment by NedPepper – April 8, 2012 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yeah the pandering is a bit much and i dont find myself liking his performances or voice, but i do think he is completely innocent with this jesus stuff, just like i think Phillip was completely innocent with his comment on the results show. I dont think he thinks he was better than anyone or disrespecting jimmy, i just thought he had a brain fart and retorted to saying the same thing about being himself that he says every week. They both can be super annoying with that stuff, but it is innocent.

Comment by Sam – April 8, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Innocent or not, people are watching these folks with hawk eyes. And there’s the risk: Actions can be taken the wrong way.

Interesting though that P2 didn’t tackle the real issue behind Jimmy’s comment: his (perceived) complacency with his performances.

Comment by Cup of Joe – April 8, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yeah he did. The video is available. As expected, he said that he appreciated the advice, but he is not willing to be changed in some ways; he’s being careful not to lose himself in the Idol process. You’ve got to respect that.

Comment by Tarc – April 8, 2012 07:33 PM PDT
          • I don’t think P² is willing to change at all… it’s not even a matter of losing oneself in the process… but I don’t think he wanted to offend anyone…

Comment by mia p. – April 9, 2012 10:11 AM PDT
      • I agree about taking some notes from the Kris Allen songbook. Kris was a worship leader, but he always chose songs that were more secular. He seemed so genuinely kind, that you knew he was influenced by his religious beliefs (as well as being southern). However he never came across as too religious. I DO listen to Christian Rock, but I like other kinds of music as well. To do well on this show, you have to appeal to a lot of very different viewers. Some people will automatically dismiss you if they feel you are trying to tell them how to live their lives.

Comment by CMB – April 8, 2012 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ITA with everything you said.

Comment by Kris Fan – April 9, 2012 06:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Good lord (pun intended), the boy didn’t mention god or jesus at all this week but because you’ve interpreted the Cyndi Lauper song “Time After Time” to possibly be a coded pro-god message, he’s calculating and pandering. And why exactly should he forget the soft Christian rock thing (if that’s what you think he’s doing)? Why can’t he make that kind of music? Should Joshua forget the gospel thing (because I sure the heck can’t get into that kind of music)?
        Just say the second part – you don’t like his voice. Forgot the character assassination because – unless you’ve met him – you have no idea what you’re talking about.

Comment by Sandi – April 9, 2012 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • This ^^. Thank you, I am so tired of double standards…
          And also the argument that he can not sing is ridiculous. He may not have the biggest voice in the competition, or you may not like his voice, but he sure can sing. I personally can not care less about those big voices of Joshua, Jessica, Hollie, together with the genres of music that each of them sings. They don’t touch me at all, although I do appreciate how talented those kids are. But I will enjoy “small” voices of Colton or even P2. But I am not blinded because I like Colton, btw. I do think that he needs to learn how to enunciate better when he sings and cut on the breaking voice thing. But I still will buy his singles over Jessica’s or Joshua’s any day… So, to each his own, I guess.

Comment by H – April 9, 2012 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • From the looks of it, it looked like P2 was definitely going to the Finale. Now, something tells me he’ll be out a little early, especially if he chooses to do the same thing he does every week and with Colton nipping at his heel.

Comment by Cup of Joe – April 8, 2012 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t mind Colton being forward about his religion. At least he knows where he is stylistically and he’s not so self-concious (sp?) about it that he chooses poor songs. (and there is a market for it, narrow as it may be), which cannot be said for Hollie or even Jessica who are just paint-by-numbers for me. I don’t think Phillip is a deep thinker. LOL He just wants to jam. There’s only so many times you can say “I respect so and so but disagree with .” I don’t think Phillip wants to win by “playing the game of IDOL”. At some point being booted of 4th, 5th, or 6th is all really interchangeable. It’s not going to effect whether or not you get a record deal. :)

Comment by desifish2011 – April 8, 2012 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • i agree with this. Phillip is kinda like a stoner (not saying he smokes) but like he kinda is just there to play music and do his own thing and doesn’t really care if ppl like it or not. hahahaha

Comment by Mike – April 8, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • That might not be such a bad thing. It carried Jason Castro all the way to fourth place and eventually landed him a record deal.

Comment by IdolFlash-7-9-35 – April 8, 2012 05:10 PM PDT
          • I think he can get a record deal, but it’s possible he’ll end up like Crystal or Lee… that can be good or bad, depending on what he really wants out of the music business and for himself…

Comment by mia p. – April 9, 2012 10:15 AM PDT
          • If he ends up like Crystal, that would be a great accomplishment. She’s got a couple songs on rotation on country radio and videos to go with those songs—-she’s doing damn good! Not everyone is going to be a Carrie, Kelly or Scotty. But many of these Idols who placed 3rd, 4th, 5th and even 6th place are doing very well for themselves. I think it’s funny when someone brings up Crystal or Kelly Pickler or even David Cook like they are buried and gone, when they are doing well enough to be able to support themselves. I think that is a great accomplishment, myself.

Comment by Marsaili – April 9, 2012 01:08 PM PDT
          • Marsaili, I didn’t say Crystal’s buried and gone…
            When I wrote “end up like Crystal or Lee” it was because I understand that they are living their lives, singing, happy but not having a carrier like Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood, who are known by everyone and sometimes people seem to forget that they came from Idol. I don’t think Crystal and Lee are doomed or anything, they are cool people, who live on their terms and record what they like, they didn’t “sell out”. In my head, it’s kind of a compliment. Living on your dreams by being true to who you are. Kelly suffered because the label wanted her to be something she didn’t, but in the end of the day, she has more fans around the globe. Those are different kinds of carriers, one is not worse than the other. It depends on what you want out of the music business. That was what I meant. I don’t think it bad to end up like Lee or Crystal or Cook or even Ruben Studdard. I don’t think success if having an infinite bank account. It’s doing what you love and other things.
            I think Phillip would rather be poor and sing whatever he likes than being rich and forget his identity. But those are extremes and one situation doesn’t necessarily imply on another…
            If I had said, he’ll end up like Sanjaya… well, that would just be mean.
            Kellie Pickler is a country kid that everyone seems to like, she’s not like Crystal, for example, who’s crazy good, but rough around the edges (I’m not saying that Kellie is bad). I don’t follow Cook’s carrier, so I won’t try to compare them.
            Personally, I think it would be better if Phillip Phillips lost the game in his own terms than if he won at cost of his personality, If he likes to be still with his guitar, well, that’s who he is, he shouldn’t change.

Comment by mia p. – April 9, 2012 05:11 PM PDT
        • I’ll give P2 that: He’ll get a record deal either way. Question is: Which way is likelier at this point?

Comment by Joseph Padilla (@jpad319) – April 8, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Mia, in my long winded way I was agreeing with you! I threw in the comments about the past Idol stars because I’ve been hearing people say—-where are those people now—-when they are right here doing their thing, making a living with their music. I was also making the point that not everyone can be a Carrie or a Kelly (even though I think Scotty will be that big as well)—just like you. So again, I totally agree with you ;-)

Comment by Marsaili – April 10, 2012 06:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • you’re absolutely right, Marsaili. Not everyone is going to be a superstar. The name of the program may be “American Idol” but a lot of kids have used this program as a launching pad for a career in music. Kellie Pickler, while she may not have Carrie Underwood’s superstardom, is very popular in country music and has a large fan base. I’ve said it before – many of them have gone on to star in musical productions or have enough of a following to support themselves otherwise. I’ve seen contestants that don’t have a prayer of winning Idol but if I owned a dinner theatre or was in charge of entertainment on a cruise line I’d hire them in a heartbeat.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 10, 2012 02:14 PM PDT
      • Wow, is this post #110 in the P2 hate campaign?

Comment by Tarc – April 8, 2012 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Why such a stalker? If you just wanna hound someone for having a different opinion other than you, to heck with you, ya dig?!

Comment by Cup of Joe – April 8, 2012 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Right back at ya… then again, my posts don’t hate on any one. I’ve never been a fan of stupidity, no matter the form, and I’ve never had any patience for someone that posts to multiple blogs to do little but hate on someone – over and over and over and over.

Comment by Tarc – April 8, 2012 08:08 PM PDT
          • What do you say about a certain other contestant then? Robotic as she may seem to you, I admire her vocal talent. That’s what matters to me.
            And why target just me when there are other folks who ain’t fans of him on this site. Completely asinine, no?
            And yeah, I guess it takes a troll to troll another, eh?

Comment by Cup of Joe – April 8, 2012 08:24 PM PDT
          • yes Joe, you admire her talent and call people who disagree with you nasty names—and actually, no one has ever disagreed with her talent—only her ability to convey songs with the proper emotion—something that is common for kids so young—and you ATTACKED people for saying stuff like that. You are sure one to be questioning someone else about hounding a person for having a different opinion—that’s what you DO!

Comment by Marsaili – April 9, 2012 01:28 PM PDT
    • Randy is a better judge than Steven? Wow, that’s kind of like saying “Would you rather have someone smash your hand with a hammer or shoot you in the foot”.

Comment by TheBeach – April 8, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think it’s more because Randy makes up a catch phrase and uses it until it’s worn out… that’s why he picks on Randy… Steven is getting better as a judge, I think… he’s not awesome as a judge yet, but he’s improving…

Comment by mia p. – April 9, 2012 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • “I think it’s more because Randy makes up a catch phrase and uses it until it’s worn out… that’s why he picks on Randy…”

Well, that and because Randy frequently uses well known phrases (for example “turn the other cheek”) so very incorrectly that it’s simultaneously embarrassing, laughable, and pathetic.

Comment by My Alter Ego – April 9, 2012 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • plus not knowing how to use air quotes, right? LOL

Comment by mia p. – April 9, 2012 07:44 PM PDT
  • It was not DeAndre’s time to be eliminated. I’m not saying he’d ultimately be the one to get the ‘trophy and the orange slice’ but his last performance was not a go home performance and I have to believe those numbers between the bottom two were very, very close). Besides his “Master Blaster” performance his “I Like It” performance was good – one of the best three of the night. It was just too soon for DeAndre to be let go. I think the save should be for someone who does have the total package and shows that they can listen and apply (even though its not as rapid as Jimmy implies – and I question what he sees as growth).

I don’t think Jimmy needs to be a judge and I don’t think his taped televised criticism is helpful either. There was absolutely no good reason or even sane reason he predicted someone to be in the bottom when they had not performed yet – so shame on American Idol for even letting that into the air play! In order for someone to grow they do need to understand what to fix and what is working. Where is that evident consistently from this ‘all knowing mentor’? SHOW US THAT.

Jimmy and the judges are hurting the contestants with confusing advice. What makes it worse are the ‘battles’ between the panel and Jimmy. The finalists are often hearing one thing in the studio with Jimmy and his guest mentors, and something entirely different from the judges.

The mixed career messages are impacting the singers in widely different ways. The exception is self-assured growly rocker Phil Phillips, who may actually be hurting his own chances by arrogantly ignoring every note he gets from the show’s experts. But they’ve definitely made for some up-and-down weeks for the likes of potential R&B star DeAndre, country belter Skylar Laine and they are clearly hurting the teenage girl contestants. Hollie Cavanagh is obviously not growing from her ‘Idol’ experience. She has a powerful voice, but a shaky and stiff stage presence that appears to be on increasingly rockier ground after WEEKS of confusing notes. She seems to lose confidence by the week. DeAndre Brackensick
 had potential, the whole package as an R&B artist, but the advice he was getting wasn’t focused enough to really help him at all (beside what Mary J did for me).

“Constructive criticism” to me is something you can go home, work on, fix and come back better because of it. If you fail to do that week after week it’s just not your time. You lose your job in the real world when this happens. Maybe they are too young or too stubborn or they need a better coach!

Look at “The Voice” for example instead of bland platitudes, Christina Aguilera, Adam Levine, Cee Lo Green and Blake Shelton are busy giving their charges good, constructive, specific advice on how to be better, more effective singers during song selection, during rehearsal!! They are getting involved with the evolution on a one to one. Why aren’t Randy, Jennifer, and Steven doing that? Meet with Jimmy and then give them one on one time before their live performance!

Idol needs to up the mentoring on a very large scale and spend more time shaping its charges instead of spinning them around like a prime-time game of pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey.

Increase the quality, increase the ratings, increase the votes and make it harder American to pick their Idol. That’s a competition.

And that’s how I feel about that!

Comment by Christy – April 8, 2012 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Increase the voting? How about CHANGE the voting policy? Limit the number of calls per device and give real singers a chance against wgwgs.

Comment by Templar – April 8, 2012 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think Christy meant that increasing the quality will increase the ratings and the amount of votes that will be received, not that each person should vote more.
        But i do agree that limiting calls per device would be a wonderful change for the show. I think there are contestants who don’t attract die-hard fans (aka teen girls and cougar women) who probably get more people voting for them, it’s just that those people are not voting 100-1000 times each every week like the diehards because, if they’re anything like me, they couldn’t be bothered. Which means the voting is skewed and not representative of the contestant’s likely success after the show. Afterall, even the most diehard fan isn’t going to buy an album 100-1000 times!

Comment by Princess Adora – April 8, 2012 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How I see it, AT&T has Idol by the balls. Instead of a vote limit, how about decreasing the value of a vote after a certain number of times and lesser thereafter. Think the Law of Diminishing Returns.

Comment by Joseph Padilla (@jpad319) – April 8, 2012 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Since most voters are female, I question the AT&T theory. LOL

Comment by Templar – April 9, 2012 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Very well said !

Comment by TheBeach – April 8, 2012 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nicely said, Christy! I am a huge fan of young Deandre! Can’t wait to see his appearances this week, starting with Live With Kelly tomorrow morning. L.A. Reid will also be a guest. Nice coincidence! I’m wishing Deandre well. He’s a very nice young man with loads of talent.

Comment by Marianne – April 8, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was a definite “holiday edition” of Idology”. No clips, no Matt’s love of Elise. That being said, Melinda and Slezak have a easy delivery that still makes it enjoyable. Even though I don’t understand why Joshusa gets a pass for doing the same thing every week….while Phillip and Jessica don’t. And I can’t have a post without mentioning that Colton Dixon sucks. Happy Easter!

Comment by NedPepper – April 8, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah I agree. Joshua is the same every week. I am kind of, um, tired of it – the vocal gymnastics and the overacting are certainly not my faves. Great voice though.

Comment by Erica – April 8, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • totally agree! Joshua gets a pass from Melinda for doing the same thing week after week!

Comment by lynn – April 8, 2012 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Josh gets a “pass” from Melinda (and Jimmy and the judges) for “doing the same thing week after week” because he’s fantastic at it. He’s consistently great, transforms himself when he’s performing and sings with real emotion and conviction. He’s the real deal and I usually HATE gospel, R&D music. Sorry, but when I see him up on stage, I see something I don’t see from any of the other performers- a professional-whether you like his style or not. And to top it off, he’s humble and unassuming.

Comment by TC – April 9, 2012 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thanks TC. Joshua is the real thing, best of the season.

Comment by Leila – April 10, 2012 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ugh, not Matt, JASON’S love of Elise. (I don’t do names). It was definitely missing this week. Again, holiday edition.

Comment by NedPepper – April 8, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The difference between Joshua doing the same thing every week and Phillip doing the same thing every week is that Joshua is doing it well and Phillip doing it poorly by comparison. If the pizza is good, I’ll have it three days in a row. The problem with Phillip isn’t the constant Dave Matthews homage, but that he looks like he’s straining so much when he sings. It’s hardly a pleasant thing to see his vein about to burst and his voice being pushed out as if someone’s got their foot on his throat. There’s a bodily function that this just seems way too much like.

Regarding Elise, I just don’t sense that she’s bright enough to make good decisions for herself. Same with Jessica — why are you singing uptempo songs at all; it’s so cruise-ship! But the difference between Elise and Jessica is that Jessica can sing whereas Elise whines (occasionally) rhythmically and thinks (as Casey did) that it passes for soul.

Speaking of people who can’t sing — Colton is about being cool and sounding like he cares (whether that’s a deliberate affectation or a genuine one). Those are the only things going for him.

And I just don’t get the love for Skylar. She should look to last year’s winner for tips — stick to big country songs, not big pop songs. Seems like a nice girl with a nice country voice, but she has zero charisma.

So I guess I’m hoping for a final between Jessica and…. I’m not sure I care, but it’ll probably be Colton, and then Colton to win. I’m just so darn tired of these three ridiculously pointless judges. I don’t care where they put Jimmy or what he says — it’s the only grown-up voice I care to hear. I’m literally, literally fast-forwarding so all I hear are Jimmy and (much of the) singing. Does anyone, anyone really enjoy hearing Jennifer, Steven, and Randy talk?

Comment by joelscorp – April 8, 2012 11:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jessica has a lot to prove this week now that the song choices are current. It was easier to say that songs sound cruise ship because they were very ridiculously popular um, cruise ship type songs. I think she would’ve had to completely change her style and not in a good way to sing those too differently. If she chooses a current song that does not further define her stylistically then she’ll have a tougher time winning it all at the end. Maybe cover a male vocalist’s tune at least she has done really well with that in other covers. Bruno Mars?

Comment by HudsonRiverside – April 8, 2012 11:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hollie should go country, her voice kinda suit thegenre

Comment by Bytes – April 8, 2012 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I kind of agree with you there. I’ve been saying she reminds me a little of Martina McBride.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 10, 2012 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what’s with Idology this week? they were both really funny, but there was no Community or Parks and Rec… is Jason Averett on vacation or something? i was hoping for some Elise support in captions or something :)

Comment by noa – April 8, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to give P2 credit for his outfits now. He has been wearing jackets and color so maybe it takes him a while to listen to advice. So hopefully this week he will listen and have a great performance like he did with the usher song.
    Joshua needs to change it up this week because he is getting boring and predictable.
    Poor Holly I do like her and think she is talented, but she needs to find herself or she is going home this week.
    I like Elise but this week was just bad, but she is a smart girl and will probably bring it on wednesday.
    Colton has everything in the package, except for a good voice (sorry)
    I have to give Jessica credit for always sounding good and changing between ballad and uptempo.
    Skyler surprised me and i really like her, but i don’t think there is room for another young country artists coming into the business from idol after Scotty and Lauren.

Comment by Kelly – April 8, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like Skylar but I am worried that if she takes the crown, Idol would become “American Country Idol” and personally I would stop watching after this season if that happens. I guess some would do the same.

Comment by Erica – April 8, 2012 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Maybe so, but for every non country fan that drops Idol, two country fans will jump on board.

Comment by Templar – April 8, 2012 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Like he’s said, Phillip wants to remain true to himself. If it takes him a couple weeks to agree that it’s not comprimising his integrity to change his performance threads a bit, so be it. I think we’ll all agree that a bit of spiffing wouldn’t hurt, and that’s pretty much what happened. After seeing the Idol machine confuse quite a few contestants, I’d understand any of the kids being a bit wary.

Comment by Tarc – April 8, 2012 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Tarc – Quick question. When you wake up in the morning do you find yourself screaming “Phillip Phillips” as the alarm clock rings? When people ask you a question do you immediately answer “Phillip Phillips” no matter what the question is? Do you say things like “Phillips Phillips that’s a great burrito!” when making declarations? When you’re angry at commenters on here do you secretly wish you can beat the “Phillip Phillips” out of them?

Comment by Joe – April 8, 2012 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think Tarc may have been responding to Kelly’s post ?

Comment by karenb – April 9, 2012 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yeah he was responding to my comment hahahaa, i agree with you tarc

Comment by Kelly – April 9, 2012 07:56 AM PDT
        • Says the guy that calls people every name in the book and then some if they don’t worship Jessica with the same intensity that he does.

Comment by Marsaili – April 9, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • So much LOLz!

Comment by Sk8er Boi – April 9, 2012 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy Easter.
    No one sucks (except Randy, JLo, Steven & Jimmy).

Comment by Marko – April 8, 2012 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m betting the Colton does “Somebody That I Used To Know” by Gotye. And I’m not complaining, because I think he’d sound great on it.

Comment by Ryan – April 8, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My guess is he’ll do something by Coldplay.

Comment by MusicFan – April 8, 2012 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Definitely a possibility- it’s just that very few Coldplay songs sound great live as cover versions due to the electronic influences, but a rearrangement could be successful. Maybe “Paradise”?

Comment by Ryan – April 8, 2012 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Either of these choices are real possibilities, and good ones.

Comment by TheBeach – April 8, 2012 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Gotye, Coldplay…ugh. Boring. Just like Bon Iver.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 10, 2012 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think most of the critics are starting to be hard on Jessica and I feel sorry for her because she is so good that people are expecting so much from her now. :(

Comment by Erica – April 8, 2012 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s been said from the beginning that Jessica is held to a higher standard than everyone else because she is the youngest and arguably the most effortless voice in the bunch. This is very true. But some people seem to be making it really personal like criticism her hand motions… really? Elise hand-sings her notes and everyone loves it. Jessica does a similar thing and it’s blasphemy?

Comment by Shana – April 8, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think we should also note that the producers seem to have wanted Deandre out. He was always 1st or 2nd and never seemed to be in the second half of the show. And was it really necessary to edit in Jimmy Iovine’s prediction before he performed? I am guessing that Jimmy said some “negative” things about others as well (my hunch would be Hollie) but we did not see that in the show. Just writing my conspiracy theory, haha.

Comment by Erica – April 8, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ll add this to your conspiracy theory, Erica. I think Deandre may have been the one with momentum and an increasing amount of votes. He certainly was the dark horse. I think the producers wanted him out because his fan base and his talent were going to get in the way of the pre-ordained female winner.

Comment by BO – April 8, 2012 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • As a fan of Deandre – I like the way you think, Bo!! Can’t say that I haven’t thought the same thing. To me he was the most interesting contestant. What a talent for 17. I hope Jessica can pull off a win. If it can’t be Deandre – I’d love to finally see a girl win!

Comment by Marianne – April 8, 2012 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great episode of Idology as usual, Michael and Melinda! Thank you for pointing out that both Phillip and Jessica are doing the same every week. And I agree with another poster about Joshua also doing the same all the time. I thought it was just me, lol. Not a fan of Jessica’s and Joshua’s neverending runs either…
    On the other hand, I wanted to point out that Elise is doing exactly the opposite and very successfully. She has tackled very different songs in very different ways week after week. So now, after two weeks of standing-Os performances, she delivers an OK performance and everyone is ready to send her packing? *shakes head* Also, I was quite surprised when Michael said that she was in the bottom 2. After so many idol seasons, I thought he was aware that the people standing in that position are not necessarily the second to last “vote-guetters”. Ryan never said “this is your bottom 2 vote-guetters”. Know what I mean. ;)

Comment by Made – April 8, 2012 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You do realize they have about 3 days advance notice to pick their song and record it? The iTunes recordings for next week are done already. How are 7 or 8 contestants supposed to change it up in any meaningful way when they are sharing time with the producers and band?? Versatility needs to be shown, but mimicing a variety of great songs is about all that one can expect as far as wanting to see the contestants show us their capabilities. Jessica has done ballad-through-up-tempo and has easily shown the most vocal versatility of anyone outside of Elise. And Elise has been very hit-or-miss.

Criticizing a good ‘mimic’ in a singing competition is ridulous. So if you absolutely kill a few different songs in a few different formats, that is somehow worse than garbling your way through some different arrangements you ripped off some other artists with your weak voice? (I am looking at you, Colton!). I don’t discredit him for ripping off any arrangements, as he should be judged primarily on his singing ability – this is a singing competition after all! And there’s really only two or three contestants who are at the top in singing talent and only one of them has shows she can OWN in a few different styles. And she’ll probably continue to do so for the next few weeks until the voters decide that Philip & Colton’s mediocre singing of differently arrangements (done by other people) is more voteworthy. A skeptic would argue that different arrangements are for the weak-voiced, as weaker voices are more easily seen to pale vs. the original vs. someone who can do the original true justice.

Comment by PunkSkittle (@GashleyT) – April 8, 2012 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I wasn’t comparing Jess to Elise. They are two very different artists. IMO, it’s a matter of taste in music whether you like one or the other best :)

I beg to differ with you, though, when you say “Elise has been very hit or miss”. If you care to review her journey so far, she has nailed every single song she has performed since her audition (including the groups) and only had one “weak” performance. Is that being hit or miss? Or is it that people are more influenced by what the judges and/or Jimmy says than they care to admit?

Comment by Made – April 9, 2012 04:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I just think that people either like or hate Elise or they like or hate Phillip—if they don’t have a stellar performance every single week, then people are saying they always suck, or they don’t deserve to be where they are or in Phillip’s case, they are just a poor imitation of someone else (whom they sound nothing like). Elise has been spot on every week. I didn’t really care for her “I Want to Know What Love Is”, but I’m not sure it was her fault—I think the music was too loud, the choir was too loud and everything just overpowered her—which made her try to compensate and caused her to over sing. But, she still sounded great! Phillip had a bad week–he picked a boring, safe song, we know he can do phil collins/genesis—he needs to do another Usher-like song and change it up. He is so talented, but I do think all this pressure to change is getting to him. He doesn’t have to change—maybe he’s perfectly fine with himself the way he is and there is nothing wrong with that—he just won’t be there when the confetti falls—and that isn’t always a bad thing, either. I tend to disagree with the judges (well, JLo and Randy) more often than not. But I think Jimmy is pretty much always right on the money. The guy knows what he’s talking about—but I make my decisions based on who moves me with their singing—and personally, they all do in their way, week to week it may be different depending on the performances.

Comment by Marsaili – April 9, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you about the bottom 2 thing. That Ryan-he’s a tricky one!

Comment by Lib – April 9, 2012 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s an Easter miracle– Idology is early! I know many disagree, but I think in no way did DeAndre deserve to leave this week. It IS very odd that many are leaving after their best performances. It’s almost like the previous week, if there was a bad performance, the audience is like, “well, this person is still my favorite, so I’ll vote.” but then no matter what happens the next week, this seed of doubt has been planted and they were already done on Tuesday without realizing it. At least it’s not like last year where a girl keeps leaving every week. I feel like the voting block has a different “trend” each year…

Comment by Brigette – April 8, 2012 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree of your assessment of Jessica as being a paint by numbers kind of singer. The terms I like to use are mimicer or parrot. That’s why even though her voice is technically almost flawless, she sounds like a robot to me. I know y’all love Joshua, but a major critique you haven’t given him is that the guy never sings anything modern sounding at all. This week he’ll be forced to sing a song from this decade, but I wouldn’t put him past him to sing a song that is a cover of a song from the 60′s. Yup Seal released Lean on Me this year and I wouldn’t be surprised if Josh goes for it. I also think Colton had a cold, but I think he didn’t want to use it as an excuse and mention it and draw more attention to how he sounded in a few spots during that song.

Comment by Erika – April 8, 2012 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good point about Joshua! What kind of artist is he exactly? He does have the gospel thing going but I have to wonder if that’s really his target audience career wise. He’s so young and nothing he has sung so far sounds very youthful. For instance I can’t envision him singing current pop or R&B so where does that leave him unless he can create his own unique brand? He doesn’t sound retro, he sounds old. There’s a difference.

Comment by desifish2011 – April 8, 2012 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • colton always sounds like he has a cold so unless he has had a cold for months, i think it is just his voice and not my cup of tea

Comment by Mike – April 8, 2012 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Haha! I was just going to post the same thing about Colton! I was going to say that he sounded exactly the same to me as he has always sounded – which is not very good! Sorry – I think his vocals are “thin”, and he bores me.

Comment by Marianne – April 8, 2012 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He could have allergies—I am constantly stuffed because of allergies so when I sing, I always sound nasally. Which is why I will never be on Idol. Well, that and my age. And the fact that I can’t sing anywhere near how these kids can sing. I wish.

Comment by Marsaili – April 9, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • this might not count but he did sing Jar of Hearts in Hollywood remember?

Comment by Shana – April 8, 2012 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So you’re saying Jessica mimicked or parroted Buddy Holly , Aretha, Billy Joel and Celine pretty well then? ;)

Comment by Suggestor – April 8, 2012 11:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All that Jessica has proved that she can do at this point is mimic other artists. What is original about her? Nothing. And Gwen Stefani was right about Jessica’s lounge singer mannerisms, no doubt (Ha!) born of many hours spent in front of a mirror practicing her diva act.

Comment by Realist – April 8, 2012 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you can do the original justice, sing it straight. And if you very obviously can’t… um… clench your throat and sound like your constipated or gargling acid on stage, so you get originality points from those who buy the deception? Okay.

Comment by PunkSkittle (@GashleyT) – April 8, 2012 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. Better a by-the-numbers rendition sang well rather than a rearranged take sang okay.

Comment by Joseph Padilla (@jpad319) – April 8, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “..clench your throat and sound like your constipated or gargling acid on stage” – - – you ARE referring to Phillip, right? Hahahaha

Comment by Marianne – April 8, 2012 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Trying to avoid the real issue by throwing mud at another finalist isn’t really an effective defense of Jessica.

Comment by Realist – April 8, 2012 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The old man straw man argument. The internet’s favorite debate fallicy. ; ) “Let’s diss Phillip to overlook the fact that Jessica may just be boring and not very creative.”

Comment by NedPepper – April 8, 2012 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I give Jessica the benefit of the doubt, I’m not sure how long the contestants have before they have to choose a song, but realistically at 16 it’s very difficult to find a song she would know that’s years or decades older than she is. Now she has hours to make it her own, to feel the original message, memorize the lyrics, choreograph yadda…. It’s easy for us to take for granted that she’d know who second tier acts were in the 80′s and 90′s then be able to reinterpret their songs overnight in her “voice”. I believe P2 and most likely all the contestants have a similar problem in their own respective ways so we see where they choose to place their focus on. In P2′s case he edits out all the stuff that he thinks gets in the way of learning the song (fashion, audience interactions, choreography, etc), then he interprets the chosen song all pretty similarly thru his style filter. Jessica focuses on giving a performance that is strong all around, her style is that she’s got much more voice versatility. The best way to realize how talented she is that she’s incredible AND consistent over the others. Anyone who thought her insane duet with Joshua was boring is not going to agree of course. It was quite creative as well!

Comment by Bobbi – April 8, 2012 11:47 PM PDT
      • I guess it takes a good ear, experience, and taste to appreciate the best things – jazz, blues, etc. None of the judges, the guest artists, or the coach – all inarguabley experts compared to the typical viewer – agree with you. Nor do I for what it’s worth.

Comment by Tarc – April 8, 2012 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Do you mean the judges who still praised him for giving an off-key performance (just like some other competitors) and the coach who finally called to attention the elephant in the room about him and gives conflicting advice to others? Okay then.

Comment by Sk8er Boi – April 8, 2012 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I am no big fan of What Not to Sing, but its arguably more impartial than any board warriors on a message board and it certainly doesn’t surprise me that Jessica is at the very top of this season and Phillip is the very worst of the contestants remaining (except for just edging out Hollie).

To Realist – There is no “straw man” argument, bringing up Phillip in comparison to Jessica as they typify two different strategies in the AI competition. Jessica can sing a variety of songs and artists straight, so she does. That is a great strategy in a singing competition imo and she’ll no doubt have top tier writers and producers wanting to shop her songs and work with her when AI is done. Those that cannot sing straight without looking bad in comparison to the original artists (Phillip, as an example) MUST try to win from some other strategy. Hopefully he will soon go the way of Andrew Garcia and Reed Grimm as people find his “artistry” very one dimensional after he keeps doing it over and over again. Although it does appear that many are prepared to give him an astounding amount of credit for do so, so he may stick around for some time yet.

Sk8er Boi – cool nick!! Avril is a great example of a vocally oriented artist who can slay a variety of songs, up-tempo rockers and nice ballads. Love Avril’s early country covers like You Were Mine and No One Needs to Know. I actually see Jessica having a similar success trajectory as Avril, although more on the rhythmic charts than the Hot-AC charts.

Comment by PunkSkittle (@GashleyT) – April 8, 2012 10:36 PM PDT
          • Just because ya’ll don’t like Phillip—doesn’t not mean he can’t sing. And not even counting the judges, every single professional that has been on this season since the beginning has stated something about Phillip’s talent. So, you can blow that off all you want, it doesn’t dismiss the fact that he is there and he could win. Because he is talented and people like him. Just not YOU people.

Comment by Marsaili – April 9, 2012 01:57 PM PDT
          • Perhaps the next time, he should – oh, I dont know, stay on pitch and hit his notes during one whole song? Because that Genesis cover was both boring AND painful at the same time. Never has that ever happened.

And kudos to Jimmy for finally seeing the chink in Phillip’s armor and calling attention to it. It was about time. We’ll see how it goes from there.

Comment by Sk8er Boi – April 9, 2012 06:02 PM PDT
          • Jimmy has also said that he would sign Phillip immediately with a record contract–he’s not said that to Jessica. How many professional singers have come on Idol and had an off performance? The other Idols have had off performances, too–but when Phil has one it’s like OH, JIMMY NOW SEES THE CHINK IN HIS ARMOUR. He had ONE bad performance. And those of you who bad mouth him, compare him to Dave Matthews (LOL, that is so funny, he sounds nothing like Dave Matthews) or say he can’t sing—you obviously just don’t like his style of music. that’s on YOU not on Phil. I’m so sick and tired of people badmouthing a contestant to make the one they like look better (supposedly). ALL of these kids are great—and they ALL need work in their own way. Phil wouldn’t be where he is if he sucked like ya’ll claim he does. Just admit it, you don’t like his singing-that’s ok! But to make up crap about him or his personality or say his singing sucks is just juvenile and obnoxious. He’s a nice kid, he’s very humble and he knows what he wants to be/do. He doesn’t put on airs, he’s not about the “machine” he just wants to sing and play his guitar. How can people create so many lies over such a simple, unassuming person?

Comment by Marsaili – April 9, 2012 09:43 PM PDT
          • Maybe because anyone with ears would know that that performance sucked. Forget his whole work of art in the show for a while, which to be honest, I don’t really care for. Heck, WhatNotToSing gave him a dismal 33 out of 100, the lowest of his career and the second lowest solo.

And Jimmy DID have a point with his comments, whether you admit it or not. Sure he’ll sign him, but with his Idol run, he’s running into a few bumps and why Jimmy didn’t even see it earlier I have no idea. Ergo, you can’t say that some criticisms on him don’t hold any water.

Comment by Sk8er Boi – April 9, 2012 11:33 PM PDT
          • Again, in his entire Idol run, he had one performance that wasn’t great. You obviously don’t care for him so you think all his performances suck—whatever. But he had one performance that wasn’t great—and the people who do like his music have admitted that. So why are you beating a dead horse here??? Just gotta get out more Phillip hate? Move on, nothing more to see here.

Comment by Marsaili – April 10, 2012 05:59 AM PDT
  • If Jimmy is giving contestants feecback after they sing – whether it’s in private, on the results show, or at the table it will be helpful for them. Even if it’s condensed internet feedback it’s helpful because the younger & more fragile contestants probably aren’t going on-line – but they need to know.
    While I don’t think celebrity mentors worked consistently in the past = this season the mentors are adding value. Mary J., Stevie, and Gwen&Tony did make a difference for SOME of the contestants (maybe that’s the issue – some but not all). I do see Jimmy hanging back and letting the mentors lead – perhaps that’s why some of our singers are falling through the cracks.
    But I have a question – where are the vocal coaches? What role do they play with this new format – and why don’t we ever hear about it? (Please ask a contestant in an exit interview Michael). Debbie Byrd and Peggy Blue are legend – are they still behind the scenes?

Comment by ladyhelix – April 8, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Could you interview them (the Vocal Coaches?)

Comment by ladyhelix – April 8, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love it that Melinda and Michael agree on Jimmy, neither a good mentor or judge. He ruins the show for me. It will never change and is always evident that the producers/Jimmy decide who they want to win and blatantly undermine the other contestants at this stage in the game. So unneccesary, Jimmy can pick anyone in the world to back outside of the show. AI could easily level the playing field (limit votes) and not manipulate and have a fairplay winner of the competition. They should then rejoice in spending $ on them. It would still be good TV. That being said, I agree with Michael and can’t figure out why DeAndre didn’t bring an epic song and performance when it was needed. I love him but have to wonder amongst a few of them how they fail to play the game well. It’s like they never read the playbook – there’s another sports metaphor for you MS :)

Comment by Marybeth Parry – April 8, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In Deandre’s post-elimination interviews he has stated that he felt the odds were against him that he would be saved, so he wanted to go out on a more fun, upbeat note. Master Blaster was one of the, if not THE, most liked performances by the masses. It may not have been the favorite of his true-blue fans. I think that would be Sometimes I Cry. I still have that song in my head while I’m sleeping – honestly. The studio version of it is really amazing. Best of luck to Deandre!

Comment by Marianne – April 8, 2012 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Joshua and Jessica each have a great voice but everything they sing has the same sound and feel.. Joshua does a gospel version and Jessica does an original artist version. They need to work on versatility and originality. Die hard idol fans might buy their music but will anyo

Comment by Deb – April 8, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Deb – April 8, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just when I start to like someone, they go home. Erika, Heejun, DeAndre . . . are they intentionally voting off anyone interesting? Does that mean Skylar is gone next week?

Comment by Rob – April 8, 2012 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know how you feel-that was me last season.

Comment by Haley Fan – April 8, 2012 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t we really just agree that the judges are nothing but ‘color commentators’ at this point? The producers had their winner picked by the Top 24, and that’s who will get pushed, pimped, praised…etc…ad naseum.

Jessica – beautiful voice…however, it is note for note as the original artist did it. I see nothing of her own in anything she does. Therefore, it’s karaoke, very good karaoke, but yawn worthy to me.

Phillip – he gives every song the same treatment. Those that say he’s not copying Dave Matthews need to go watch a couple of videos on YouTube. Same growly rasp, same shoulder shrugs, same guitar placements, same movements with his legs. That said, I love DM, maybe P2 does as well. But….he needs to change it up, hearing a different song sang the same way week after week is boring, and no, I don’t think he’s in pain either. He took what Jimmy said the wrong way, that’s all.

Joshua – beautiful voice also, but he too, sings the same way every single week. I do feel he gives more emotion to every song than Jessica does, you can see it in his eyes, her ‘stage presence’ is just that, ‘staged’.

Elise – beautiful tones, love her rasp and blues edge. Her problem (sigh) is that she’s too old for this show (huge sigh). Her biggest drawback I think is she lets her emotions show on her face, so instead of being given a pass for being human, she’s been labeled as having ‘an attitude.’ However, at 20-whatever-it-is, she should be able to keep her face even and be gracious if she wants to get anywhere in this business. /shrug

Colton – I really don’t care for his voice, it’s not exceptional at all. However, he already came ‘packaged’. The hair, the skinny jeans, etc. Oh yeah, come back next year…don’t try out (we’ll make you AND put you through), and make sure you make the Top 5. I knew he was going to be there when his sister audtioned…you really think those judges remembered his name from knowing hers? Please. They must think we’re stupid. He’s not that good, but he looks like any number of the pop stars out there right now. They can auto-tune the rest of it.

Hollie – pretty girl with a pretty voice. No stage presence at all. She’s too young/immature to sell us what she’s singing and she can’t move/dance to save her life. She needs 2-3 more years to grow up a bit, same as DeAndre.

Skylar – another great voice, and she has stage presence. I’m not a country music fan, but I can see this girl going somewhere. I believe her when she sings, and I’d give my first-born to have that amount of energy again. That said, she won’t win.

It’s very, very clear when you listen to the “judges” who the top 2 are, and who will win. Poor Steven forgets sometimes and has to refer to his notes. I saw JLo doing this at times as well. I laughed. I used to be entertained by this show, but I think this is probably my last season to watch it unless they change the “judging” and limit the power voting.

Comment by Spider3tattoo – April 8, 2012 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matching outfits FTW!!! love this episode, as always! :D

Comment by Jess – April 8, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • jessica sanchez will not only be an american idol…but an INTERNATIONAL idol!!! her voice is soothing and brings joy to millions of people who watch her on you tube over and over…i could listen to her all day long! voting on how their voices affect me…it’s Jessica FTW!!!

Comment by ally – April 8, 2012 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nice to meet you, fellow Blue Jay!

Comment by IdolFlash-7-9-35 – April 8, 2012 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here’s how I think it will all go down*

7. Hollie
    6. Elise
    5. Phillip**
    4. Colton

Top 3-any order:
    Skylar
    Joshua
    Jessica

Finale-Joshua and Jessica
    Winner-Jessica

*Not what I want to happen, just a prediction. And you heard it here first!
    **No sign of a WGWG near the finale.

Comment by karenb – April 8, 2012 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hmmm. I’d predict: 7- Hollie. 6) elise. 5) Slylar. 4) Joshua. 3) Phillip. 2) Jessica. 1) Colton. The Top 3 could rotate around, though.

Comment by Tarc – April 8, 2012 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I could definitely live with your prediction Tarc.

Comment by karenb – April 9, 2012 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • if Colton wins this thing, then there is no justice. Of all the contestants left, he and P2 have the least vocal talent. Sorry to say, but it’s true

Comment by TC – April 9, 2012 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • But it sets up that way. He’s the most nonthreatening White Guy there. He’s another version Kris Allen. He’s cute and likeable. Never been in the bottom 3.

If the top 3 are based on talent, it’s Joshua, Jessica, with Skylar as third. If it’s based on popularity and “likeability” it’s Colton, Skylar and P2. I’d rather see the most talented singers at the end, but I know the voters on this show are primarily white teenage girls and their mothers. So a Colton-P2-Skylar (she’s got the country vote sewed up) top 3 would not surprise me. It won’t be satisfying, but it will be.

Comment by Name That Tune – April 9, 2012 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I like your prediction only I would flip Jessica and Colton so that she gets the win.

Comment by Sandi – April 9, 2012 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • jessica shoud come in by 6 lenghts she hasent given one bad performance joshua tends to go over the top like hes forcing it makes me feel uncomfortable great voice needs restraint do not like skyler at all she had one good song not consistant i wish jlo and steve would stop worrying about hurting the contestants feelings and be more truthful about their performance it sure would help the ratings tipi

Comment by dolores seger – April 9, 2012 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Normally this is when I would share the latest Vote Fair ranking, but the remaining contestants have been flip-flopping all over the place on that poll! The only consistency over there is that Jessica is way ahead of everyone else. For a while they said it would be Colton in the Top 2 with her, then it changed to Elise, and now it’s Phillip. At first they had Joshua on his way out next, but then it became Hollie, it was even Phillip for a while, and now they’re saying it’s Elise. Aahhh! Overload! I don’t know what to believe (only that Jessica is this year’s American Idol. Period.)

Comment by IdolFlash-7-9-35 – April 8, 2012 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So . . . Deandre’s performance was a “..spare” when he needed a strike.”? Do ya think it may have been a “strike” if the poor kid hadn’t gone FIRST AGAIN (in about 3 weeks)?? The producers and ptb have an agenda for their “dream” finale, and it doesn’t include Deandre. I swear, sometimes I wonder if they’re even using votes. Lyndsey Parker saw a partially completed billboard early Thursday that said “Only 7 contestants remaining…”. So they know that already? Just like Iovine “predicted” Deandre to be in the bottom 3. Whatever – Deandre is not a “typical” Idol contestant. Those who are “typical” BORE me.

Comment by Marianne – April 8, 2012 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A bowling reference isn’t butch.
    ~
    This comment was NOT produced at Oak Tree Studios, Nashville TN.

Comment by Tahoe Mike – April 8, 2012 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now I’m really wondering about the votes. I knew Deandre was VFTW in top 9 week and he wasn’t even in the bottom 3. I didn’t know he was still VFTW for top 8, and he ends up at the bottom with a song that was more popular with the general viewing audience than Sometimes I Cry?? Seems very fishy to me, though I’m just as glad he’s out of there. I don’t think I could stomach another week of Iovine being so mean-spirited to such a nice young guy. Jimmy seems like he’d be a barrel of laughs to be around.

Comment by Marianne – April 8, 2012 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still hope for a Jessica and Colton finale.

Comment by Jake – April 8, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t jimmy already the fourth judge???? He’s fine where he is, just wish he would actually help the ones he think won’t be good instead of throwing them under the bus right before their performance– even though I really thought deandre should have gone home but seriously he’s bottom 3 before he even sings??? If u feel that way then you didn’t do your job and u shouldn’t say that even though a lot of us think it

Comment by Jake – April 8, 2012 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Joshua’s “Jar of Hearts” was fantastic! I wish he would do more of that kind of thing!

Comment by Linda – April 8, 2012 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto – Best song by him and I think if Joshua did it again he’d do an even better job now that he’s more comfortable with the idol format. Colton should actually do a Green Day song, that “Time after Time” was a very close “mimic”. Hollie will probably try for a Lady Gaga song.

Comment by Suggestor – April 8, 2012 11:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They’re trying so hard to secure the win for Jessica. They want a girl to win so badly. I do think TPTB are greatly underestimating the will of hardcore idol fans to vote in the ‘cute’ guy. I really think colton will win. Definitely make it to top 2 I wouldn’t be that surprised if the finale was colton and Philip.

Comment by rochelle – April 8, 2012 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If they truly wanted a girl to win they’d change the voting policy.

Comment by Templar – April 9, 2012 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A girl deserves to win this thing I hate to bring it up again but Idol’s most successful and widely known alumni are females Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Katherine Mcphee and Jennifer Hudson. Women are dominating the charts (Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Katy, Adele) Colton or Phillip winning will be the nail in the coffin for idol which lost its dignity along time ago its not a talent show anymore its a vote for the cutest guy contest :)

Comment by JC – April 8, 2012 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wouldn’t call Kat McPhee uber successful. (She’s got some weird co-dependent thing going on with David Foster that I find creepy actually.) Carrie and Kelly are the only two to become huge but that doesn’t mean that other Idol alumni haven’t carved out respectable careers. In addition to some of the women that you mention (You forgot Fantasia and Kellie Pickler) Daughtry immediately springs to mind as does Adam and Clay and Josh and Kris ( and Scotty isn’t doing that badly at the moment either). Granted Clay is a little past his prime but I hear those other guys all over the radio. Idol is still producing very viable artists, imho. The male winners haven’t done as well as the female winners, certainly, but that doesn’t mean that Idol doesn’t produce stars.

Comment by desifish2011 – April 9, 2012 05:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think at this point already, Scotty has already surpassed all the other male Idols. And he’s just starting–I’m telling you, he’s going to be as big as Carrie and Kelly. He’s touring with Brad Paisley–Brad’s got the magic touch–the people who tour with him nearly always become huge stars in their own right. Dierks Bentley, Blake Shelton, Miranda Lambert, Kelly Pickler, Rodney Atkins, Darius Rucker, oh and some little girl named Taylor Swift! I saw her for the first time at a Brad Paisley concert—and just 5 short years later she’s one of the biggest acts in the world. I think Scotty is in good company and with people who are going to help continue his trajectory into super stardom! While I am a big country music fan, I probably won’t be buying Scotty’s album–he’s good but not really my type of artist. But I’m not gonna ignore how huge he already is—and Nashville and country radio has been very supportive of him—he’s not going anywhere else but up!

Comment by Marsaili – April 9, 2012 10:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would not vote for someone because of their gender. I would not vote against someone because of their gender.

Comment by teatime – April 9, 2012 05:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Great comment. Though – I don’t even find Phillip that dreamy, and don’t think Colton is cute at all. I think Colton is much more charming/cute/attractive in his casual interviews with his ball cap and non-Emo’d hair. To each their own, I guess.

Comment by Marianne – April 9, 2012 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Daughtry? Adam Lambert? That being said, I’d like to see a female win this year too!

Comment by Sandi – April 9, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think AI wants Simon 2.0 on the judges panel that would be lame and stupid.

Comment by MAB – April 8, 2012 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES!! This >>>>> “I want p2 to win this AI 11 because i want to see another lee an epic fail of his career.”

Comment by Marianne – April 9, 2012 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @Michael I miss you IDOLATRY last season 8

anyway I want a girl to win so badly this season. if another guy will win, I can say totally the American Cutest IDol winner ever!!!!

Comment by TY – April 8, 2012 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Slezak’s commentary is the best! Knows his stuff…and Melinda Doolittle has great insight too. More!

Comment by Chuck – April 9, 2012 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ideal final two: Skylar and Elise, with Elise winning.

Predicted final two: Colton and Skylar, with Colton winning.

Jessica and Joshua are amazing, AMAZING. But I feel like neither of them take enough risks and their true “idol moments” came in Top 13 and Top 11 weeks, respectively. We keep getting the same thing over and over with them, and it’ll feel tired come top 5 Week. Elise and Hollie will be the next two to go, and Phillip is fading. That leaves Colton and Skylar.

Comment by DG – April 9, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “We keep getting the same thing over and over with them”

And we don’t with the others?

Elise will sing a rock song with a bluesy edge. She will either be spot-on or way off.

Skylar will do any thing that can sound country with a rock/blues edge she wants to be Miranda Lambert. Even if it’s not country, it will sound country. But she choose songs that are pretty limited and don’t give her enough to do.

P2 takes any rock song and goes “Dave Matthews”, and won’t put the guitar down (and he sounds the same on every song). He takes no risks at all.

Hollie tries to do what other people tell her to do, but she’s still from the big voice Diva school. She is so much the novice at this game, that she doesn’t know what to do.

Joshua is more comfortable when he can bring it to church, but he’s shown he can exercise restraint when needed.

Jessica has done some suprising things with song choices. Her biggest problem is that she chooses songs that are big enough for her voice. “How Will I Know” just didn’t have much to offer.

Colton has always chosen songs or versions of songs that we aren’t familiar with.

Comment by Name That Tune – April 9, 2012 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Pretty much spot on. I only disagree about Jessica. I think she is too much of a copy cat no matter what she sings. Would actually like that talent of hers display who she is. I think she’s too young. Once she learns it-she’ll probably be very good.

Comment by Jessica – April 10, 2012 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I disagree with your comment. Jessica brings in her style as she delivers her song. Maybe you need to compare her with the original singers so you’ll know the difference.

Comment by Justin Ramos – April 12, 2012 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My fantasy is that any one of them will sing something acoustic, even though all the judges keep goading to make each song more superfluous than the last.

Comment by zip – April 9, 2012 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t understand why Michael complained about Colton’s weird pronunciations, but praised Skylar. I get it that Skylar sings with her accent, but when she sings her vowels that way she goes under the pitch in some places. That is why I didn’t care for Skylar’s performance.

Comment by ErixN – April 9, 2012 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The comparison of Colton’s affected enunciation on “Time After Time” to South Park’s emo faux band singer’s parody made my Idol week because it’s so utterly perfect.

Comment by Phan – April 9, 2012 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ideal finale: Jessica and Joshua
    Likely finale: Colton and Skylar.

Comment by Name That Tune – April 9, 2012 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • According to Jimmy’s rolling stone interview they wanted him to be a judge and he chose to be a mentor so he could work with the contestants.

Comment by Jason – April 9, 2012 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s a much better judge. He’s the one I look to for judging or laying it out there b/c the actual judges aren’t. Really liking him this year

Comment by Jessica – April 10, 2012 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great job, once again, Mr. Slezak and Melinda. Melinda honey, I love you but you’ve been in Nashville too long. I’m not sure black lumberjack plaid is the best look on you.
    That said, Melinda was right on the money about Hollie being in a group. her group/duet performances have all been wonderful.
    I also agree with Mr. Slezak’s comments about Jessica. She needs a change-up because she does seem to come out and do the same thing every week. P2 and Joshua do the same thing as well but I like them just fine (although “That’s All” was not good). I guess I can’t justify my feelings.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – April 10, 2012 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Idology, but this was maybe the most boring episode EVER. I enjoy Slezak & Mindy’s banter and catty remarks, but what really makes Idology fun to watch (for me, for you) is the quick clips from old movies, or Buffy, or some other old TV show, and the text commentaries that get added by (I assume) the techie who actually edits and finalizes the video. This installment was just 10 minutes of Michael & Melinda talking… which I could have listened to in a podcast. Bring back the visuals! Stat!

Comment by KMG – April 10, 2012 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post