Ratings: The Finder Falls in Friday Debut, Fringe Dips in Demo

Allow me to be the sixth or seventh to say this morning that it was not a particularly good Friday, ratings-wise, for Fox this week.

Leading off the night, the relocated The Finder drew 3.92 million total viewers while scoring a 1.1 demo rating. For comparison’s sake, the Bones spin-off in its last Thursday outing did 7 mil and a 2.3, while Friday time slot predecessor Kitchen Nightmares most recently delivered 3 mil/1.2.

Come 9 o’clock, Fringe drew 3.1 million total viewers and a 1.0 rating, holding steady in audience but down 17 percent in the demo.

Elsewhere on Good Friday/the first night of Passover:

* Over on CBS, Undercover Boss (7.8 mil/1.8) was flat, bubble show CSI: NY (8.9 mil/1.7) shed a few viewers and Blue Bloods (10.8 mil/1.7) inched up a bit.

* On NBC, Who Do You Think You Are, Edie Falco? (4.5 mil/0.8) was down 14 percent in audience, while the already-renewed Grimm (4.5 mil/1.3) ticked up a bit.

1. bad kevin says:

Fox still has hope for Fringe to get renewed but not The Finder.

2. Fringe better come back for a 5th season!

3. Olivia says:

Aren’t Fridays called ‘Friday Dead Slot’ or something like that?
    Shows there go to die.
    Happened the same to Ugly Betty

• George says:

Yeah, but the networks are fighting for bigger audiences as less people watch TV live. So it pays to not neglect anyone of 6 nights from Sun-Friday.

4. Lizzie says:

I am still very very sad about last night’s Fringe.
    My heart aches even more compared to ratings news, if you know what I mean.

5. Nichole says:

I was really hoping The Finder would find it’s audience on Friday nights. I know it’s the time slot of death, but there is also a lot less competition. This show was my pleasant surprise of the season.

• Nikirex says:

I totally agree, this show became my favorite and I’m so sad, I as hoping for better numbers, too.

• meleliot says:

Me too. I really like The Finder, and I was hoping it would do well on Friday. I think people are comparing it to Bones because they called it s a “spin off” but it’s nothing like it even with crossovers from Bones. They need some sort of new PR campaign because the first one didin’t work.

• Jean says:

I think it was a tough start on a Friday during spring break. I agree that The Finder is not a Bones “spin off” and shouldn’t be presented that way. From the beginning, there was a connection between the characters of Booth and Brennen that drew people in. I originally watched The Finder hoping I would find that same kind of give and take, but it wasn’t there. I will continue watching because I respect Hart Hansen and the work that he does. I am hoping The Finder will get a chance to find its own audience.

• Do any of you guys know what a spin-off actually is? Because ‘The Finder’ is the very definition of one!

• meleliot says:

I guess when people think of a “spin-off” they think of a character from the original show moving to a different show. What we got was a “friend” of Booth’s that we saw in one episode (maybe two, I’m not sure) of Bones get a show. They keep trying to tie it in with Bones characters making guest appearances, but honestly I don’t find it helps The Finder, it just continues to distract from the show. Frankly, I would prefer it be a completely separate entity so it can be judged on it’s on merits.

• Richgkidd says:

My friend this was definitely not a spin off of bones that episode was a back door introductory pilot.

• Nancy says:

This is one of my favorites on tv now. I hope they do better on Friday nights! Hate when I find a show I reallyyyy like and it gets cancelled.

6. Alex says:

At least Fringe didn’t match its low from a couple of weeks ago…right? I blame The Hunger Games then and Good Friday this week.

• turnitup says:

And next Friday you’ll blame Friday the 13th, and the Friday after that you’ll blame a UFO sighting on the news, and the Friday after that you’ll blame that it was everyone getting super pumped about May coming and out partying on their lawns to celebrate. Come on…. these fluctuations, either up or down, are so insignificant that it won’t change whatever FOX is deciding.

• CL says:

haha – I like the visual of people dancing around on their lawns in their bare feet… “Hooray! It’s May! We’ll watch FRINGE within 24-48 hours on our DVR’s. Weeeeeee!

7. what says:

If Fringe held a steady number of viewers, how did it manage to drop two tenths?? I don’t understand the rating system.

Didn’t it get 3.1m viewers last week too?!

• Matt Mitovich says:

It means the same total number of people watched as last week, but that audience skewed slightly older (aka fewer in the 18-49 demo)

• Balaji K says:

18-49 demo rating: This is the percentage of Americans who are between ages 18 and 49 that watched a particular episode. This is the target audience for advertisers. Total viewers is secondary or immaterial.

8. DN says:

I really do hate to say it, but “Fringe” was boring last night. The producers just don’t seem to get the reality of audiences being emotionally invested in their show’s central cast.

Spending so much time in the alternate universe last season caused the ratings to dip (and consequently be moved to Fridays?), and last night, they spent nearly an entire episode over there. It’s cute and clever having most of the central cast play alternate versions of themselves, but it’s not them, and it’s those characters about whom audiences care.

There’s a reason the death of a central character has major impact on audiences. We become emotionally invested in them. That’s my take at least.

• Alienate says:

That is exactly why I stopped watching halfway thru this season. Sad.

• Mamoru says:

Alternate universe is a significant part of Fringe. Certainly it will need a few episodes to address the alt-verse. And I don’t think we spend too much time ‘over there’.
      I understand if you don’t care about the alt-verse characters, you probably find it boring. I don’t know.
      (spoiler ahead) But most of us do care about them. If not, we won’t be that sad of AltLinc’s death.
      We won’t be touched by AltLiv’s emotional ride to lose a partner of 6 years.
      Sorry, I just haven’t recovered from last night’s.
      And one thing worth mentioning. Don’t you love how awesome AltLiv sniper-assed the bad guy?! Just sayin’ ;)

• BrianR says:

Absolutely. I was wondering what happened to both sides coming together to find solutions to the problems caused by Walter’s first incursion. So we finally got some answers that the bridge was stabilizing the situation.

• Loki says:

Thanks for the spoilers. Warning would be nice next time since the recap isn’t even out and a lot of people still haven’t seen it.

• Dan says:

People who read articles and follow up comments like this one then whine about spoilers make my common sense tingle.

• Lidya says:

Wow. And he did warn you of “spoiler ahead”.
          Geez…

• Loki says:

My bad. I read too quickly for my own good.
            After seeing the ep, I think it’s nice they have anchored Lincoln lee 2.A. Maybe he will end up with Bolivia.

• rubytu says:

I totally agree, DN.

• Ken says:

I’m in agreement,i too found this episode boring,after the first five minutes i felt nothing until it ended.For some unknown reason the writers as completely forgotten that it is the central cast
      (Core team) that as made “Fringe” what it is today. Without this central cast and there brilliance,
      “Fringe” would not have gotten a 4th season. So in there infinite wisdom they started season 4 without the core team and continue through out the season and wonder why viewers have dropped from 10.1mil up to season 3,and 3.11mil in season 4.With all this raw data you would think that they would realized that it is imperative to have the central core team prominent in most if not each episode,but they went in the opposite direction and is now paying the price.

9. Kay says:

“while the already-renewed Grimm (4.5 mil/1.3) ticked up a bit.”

YES! May it keep “ticking up” for the last uninterrupted run to the season finale. :)

10. greysfan says:

Bye Bye Finder. Finally gets the ratings this poor show deserves. Should never have gone ahead.

• Nikirex says:

That is just mean! It is a great show and it deserves a second chance and season!

• greysfan says:

Look if FOX commissioned this show as its own show without using Bones as a supposed spin off then maybe i would have liked it but the fact that they continued to shove this show down our throats as a Bones Spinoff and input Bones cast members into the show made it a real turn off. I have tried to like this show i really have but the fact is it isn’t that great.

• Nikirex says:

The fact, that the show is good or not, has nothing to with it being a spinoff or not. I don’t get why everybody says that they don’t like it because it was the spinoff of Bones! It’s an easy question is it good or not? It has nothing to do with Bones.
          And the 2 episode with Bones cast. I think the one with Sweets was great and not because he’s from Bones, it could’ve been any shrink. The one with Hodgins was horrible because this silly alien thing, it was like an X-files ep, I hated it. But the show itself is great!!!
          NCIS was JAG’s spinoff, but i don’t think anyone watched that way, it was totally different and new. It doesn’t matter how they presented it.

• Jenny says:

The Finder is a terrible show . If it weren’t for some of Bones’ loyal fanbase it wouldn’t be getting the views it’s getting..

I love Fringe… Hope they get a last and final season …

• Kevin says:

Yes GREYSFAN, Finder is sooo horrible compared to all the repetitive hack police procedurals on TV and reality shows. Thats sarcasm BTW,

Finder is usually awesome because the light hearted nature and fun of the show. Shows like it and Castle are sorely needed because of the other downtrodden drek on the major networks.

Michael Clarke Duncan and Mercedes Masohn are fun and charismatic and people are missing out IMHO.

• Nikirex says:

I couldn’t agree more!

• greysfan says:

I agree. I love Castle its a great show and we do need more shows like it but i hate The Finder. Tried to watch it but i gave up on it. Its a SPINOFF! You can’t tell me it isn’t. You basically said its not a spinoff then you go mentioning Bones characters. Like i said, maybe here or somewhere else i post, had FOX done this as an individual series not tied to Bones it may have been different but the fact is its tied so much to Bones already and yes those 3 or so episodes count, its a spinoff. I know you like it but the fact is its doomed.

You said before NCIS is a spinoff of JAG. I know that too but it severed ties with that show almost immediately. This didn’t. Thats the big big difference here.

Oh and yes there are horrible procedures out there, aka NCIS: LA, Hawaii Five-0 are 2 which come to mind.

11. Adam s says:

I am now positive August from Once Upon a Time is pinocchio. In the what happened to Frederick episode by the wishing well he says to Emma I always tell the truth and in the most recent episode he says to Emma I never lie. They have put a lot of emphasis on this and I think they are dropping hints he’s pinnochio!

12. chistosa says:

Although there may be a diminishing interest in Fringe and The Finder, it is certainly understandable that ratings are down on a night very important to two religions. Good Friday and the first night of Passover. It actually encourages me that perhaps people were doing something more meaningful than sitting in front of the television. I don’t think that last night can be used as a barometer of interest. Lower ratings should have been expected.

13. curasarion says:

Go Grimm Go!
    Romance for Hank!

• Selbs says:

Romance for Hank? This is baaaaad news for Hank, but I don’t know what the head of the detective squad has in line for him instigating this romance with his fellow demon woman! Love Grimm but so sad it’s competing with Fringe, and when you think of all the crap on TV every night, why must those brains at Fox choose to compete with Grimm and sink Fringe? This is, indeed, unfair to the viewers and unfair to the cast of Fringe who could be without jobs at the end of the season. May I just say this sucks?

14. Benjamin says:

Screw Fringe, The Finder deserves to go on

15. Kevin says:

Finder is a fave of mine and Fridays—what’d they expect, but the 50 cent/ hip hop story didn’t help either. It was mostly cringe worthy.

Of course Fox will see the drop as ” ooh its doing bad, its cancelled” when they’re to blame for putting it on Fridays and the dip. A show doesn’t dip THAT huge unless theres some big outside factors…AHEM FRIDAYS.

I hope for their ratings to improve and I’ll stay with it, but it feels Fox just wanted to kill it by putting it on fridays.

16. Jane says:

Fun Fact: if you ever want to know how many stupid people watch television on any given night, you can take the number of CBS viewers and multiply by 1.

17. Boiler says:

I think the so called geniuses at Fox need to figure out how to schedule. Hopefully the Finder will be kept and paired with Bones. They have totally ruined New Girls’s ratings by taking Glee off for so long. They say not as much Idol but it has been on too much.

Can we please get rid of these big gaps between new shows. Fox and CW the worst

• Boiler says:

Actually I have another idea…if they think a show can be moved to Friday AND keep its ratings put Idol amnd X Factor there.

18. jj says:

The Finder should never have made it pass character introduction on Bones and Fringe has have more lives than any crappy show deserves. Time to let both of them go Fox!

• meleliot says:

Why do you even care? It’s obvious you don’t like either show, just let those who do enjoy. Some people just aren’t happy unless they dissing something. Sheesh!

19. Elizabeth says:

Will there ever be an article about the massive ratings on any TV show on a Friday night?

Why keep posting these items? We get it – no one watches TV on Fridays.

20. kirads09 says:

Love Grimm – glad it is doing well. Keeps drawing me in more and more.

Sad for Fringe. I don’t know what the issue is except possibly the awful Friday time slot. While not “earth shattering” I thoroughly enjoyed the Lincoln Lee centric episode.

Finder is not for me and I am feeling so over Bones. But both shows have charm. I think perhaps as others have suggested at times that if it were moved to another slot, in a block with Bones, Finder might have a better chance at “finding” it’s core audience.

21. Tasha says:

Can we just call Fox Fridays “Walter night”?

22. Jillian says:

Glad that Grimm is doing well. I like that show.

23. TrulyRoxie says:

I love The Finder and just happened to catch ONE commercial talking about it moving to Friday. That’s not a lot of promotion for the show. My DVR would catch it wherever it landed, but they’re not talking it up very much. It’s really too bad. It’s nice to have fun, quirky shows that aren’t the real housewives of something or another shore show.

24. Rachel says:

Kind of a shame (although I have to admit, I did watch Fringe on DVR this week), and I hope Fringe’s numbers go up next week. It was such a good episode!! I love Lincoln, and I really hope he stays “over there”, it was such an interesting idea!

25. Nancy says:

I really like the Finder, but they have killed it by leaving too many weeks between episodes, changing nights so we couldn’t “find” it. What’s up with that??? I’m so sick of the networks doing this to new shows. They don’t give them a chance to catch on before the next thing you know, they are gone for good. Disgusting.