NBC's Whitney on the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

Come mid-May (if not sometimes sooner), the networks will be making some tough calls as to which series will return for the 2012-13 TV season, and which … won’t. As we did last spring, TVLine is singling out select “bubble” shows to survey their prospects.

Next up is a much-maligned freshman laffer that you may not think deserves a second look (but actually really does!).

THE SHOW: Whitney (NBC)

THE TIME SLOT: Most recently, Wednesdays at 8/7c.

THE CASE FOR KEEPING | As many a comedy does — right, Cougar Town? — Whitney stumbled a bit out of the gate. (Dan O’Brien’s Mark seemed like a particularly caricaturish “oops.”) But darned quickly, the show found its footing, establishing its central sextet (yes, even Mark) as possibly the most endearingly quirky ensemble this side of Happy Endings. Plus, the yin/yang pairing of series creator Whitney Cummings and Chris D’Elia made “Whitney” and Alex not only a wholly believable couple that was easy to root for, but arguably one of the cutest duos on TV.

THE CASE FOR CUTTING | It’s a shame that Whitney bagged its best ratings at the start of its run, when creatively it was at its weakest. Though the show improved, the so-so first impression that it had made, stuck. So NBC now is faced with the question: “Do we renew it and hope we can find a way to get people to re-sample it? Or do we walk away jealous that CBS got the Whitney Cummings project that really took off (2 Broke Girls)?” Also muddying matters: How will NBC look if it shows faith in the freshman sitcom that, merited or not, was critically derided, while Bent, the one that garnered near-unanimous kudos, fades away without a lick of network nurturing?

More Keep or Cut Discussions: Fox’s Fringe? The CW’s Secret Circle?

Vote below, then hit the Comments to make your own case for keeping or cutting Whitney.

Tags: ,

Comments (141)

• Whitney is by far the worst new sitcom of the year. :-(

Comment by bad kevin – April 7, 2012 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My husband and I have watched from the start! It started off good and just got better! We are hooked! It’s one of the funniest shows we watch. I have my fingers crossed it makes it for a second season.

Comment by sweetserendipiti – April 7, 2012 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This series should really be given a second season chance. While I have to admit that the first few episodes really did suck, they were annoying as hell, but it really picked up traction and became one of the few shows that I actually enjoyed watching.

Comment by Mark Talmadge – April 7, 2012 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cut it, burn it, and never speak of it again.

Comment by Sam – April 8, 2012 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I ABSOLUTELY say KEEP IT. I Love The Show since beginning to end Whitney & Chris are the perfect comedy duo, its quaint & funny at the same time some people dont get the humor but hey keep it for those of us that do. You can’t have them get married and end all of it. If thats how they were dating just imagine them as a married couple going onto the next journey of possible little whits & Alex’s running around. Plus I wanna see if Roxanne & Mark go anywhere. If Neil will find a perfect partner & Lilly can help him plan the most flamboyant wedding there’s def another chapter waiting to be opened so I say continue. .

Comment by Mc Hair – April 8, 2012 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whitney is well written and the cast has great timing, I enjoy it a lot and hope it comes back. It’s also nice to see a female character that actually has some.

Comment by Nadine – April 8, 2012 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP WHITNEY!! LOSE CHELSEA!!

Comment by Mike – April 8, 2012 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No, just no. Cut it and renew Community, then all will be right with the world again.

Comment by Fernando Valquez – April 9, 2012 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad to say but cut! Not a fan

Comment by desertstar3 – April 11, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Whitney and Chelsea and would be disappointed if they did not return. I did not care for two broke girls at all. ‘t

Comment by jack daniels – April 11, 2012 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • keep. i started watching whitney expecting it to be completely terrible, but it’s actually pretty cute. i’ve laughed out loud at least twice during each episode (which is more than i can say for the last season of community, or any episode of parks & rec) and whitney and alex have great chemistry together.

Comment by witchykeen – April 11, 2012 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show just got better and better…. One of the few sitcoms that I actually take time out to watch during the week… I hope it stays.

Comment by Daniel Puttlitz – April 12, 2012 06:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP! KEEP! KEEP! LOVE THIS SHOW VERY FUNNY WELL WRITTEN PLEASE KEEP!

Comment by Aleana – April 12, 2012 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I honestly don’t know why people hate this show so much..
    Everyone I know,and I love this show. It makes me laugh every single episode.
    People are saying Bent is better? Seriously?? It’s only okay,it’s slow,but Whitney is an burst of laughter each episode.

Comment by Katie – April 12, 2012 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE KEEP! KEEP! LOVE THIS SHOW

Comment by Aleana – April 13, 2012 04:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP! KEEP! KEEP! PLEASE LOVE THIS SHOW

Comment by ALEANA – April 13, 2012 05:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s so rare that i actually laugh out loud at TV these days. I love 30 Rock, but it doesn’t make me laugh out loud. It’s funny but in a way that doesn’t make me laugh out loud. Weird. Michael Scott never made me lol either. But Whitney and Alex do. I really hope NBC gives us another season of them. It would be a step in the right direction for the struggling network.

Comment by Cody – April 13, 2012 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Whitney and Chris-they’re cute and believable together which is difficult to attain in one season. I actually didn’t watch “Whitney” in the fall because I couldn’t get into it, but recently watched the whole season on hulu plus and became hooked. Yeah, there was some awkwardness in the beginning, but the show got better and better with a tighter ensemble resulting. I’d love to see this back again. I think everyone deserves a chance to find their groove and keep up the momentum. There’s a lot of talent on “Whitney” and I’d miss it!

Comment by Dominique – April 13, 2012 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE KEEP! KEEP! VERY FUNNY

Comment by Aleana – April 14, 2012 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I totally LOVE this show! It has become my favorite new show this season. Love all the characters although Mark can be a bit grating in some story lines. I quit watching Two Broke Girls after 5 eps-don’r get why everyone thoinks THAT’s the keeper! Kat is so obnoxiously irritating….just couldn’t stand her sarcastic, Debbie Downer attitude any longer.

Comment by Linda – April 14, 2012 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE KEEP! KEEP!

Comment by Aleana – April 15, 2012 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of the funniest shows I’ve seen. I have watched every show atleast 3 times. Me and my husband really enjoy it and can relate alot to there relationship. Hate to see it go!

Comment by Bre – April 15, 2012 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP! KEEP! PLEASE LOVE THIS SHOW

Comment by ALEANA – April 17, 2012 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 2 Broke Girls is the type of Comedy that really is Funny but you have to have the type of personality that is open to Raw and Direct comments of which I have! I Love this show and would Really be Sorry to see it taken off the air!. The 2 girls with their different sense of humors really work well together. Maybe it would do better in the ratings if placed in a later time slot? also Whitney is a good show and the series continues to move her and Marks relationship along. He is funny in a awkward sense of the word. Both series deserve one last shot at making things work!

Comment by SJW – April 17, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whitney is definity a keep NBC !!!

one reason – chemistry with the 2 leads and the overall acting and the funnyness of the show.

@Uponebuck.

Comment by Isabelle C – April 17, 2012 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE this show!!!!! It is so funny, relatable and witty!!! i love it!!
    at first i was skeptical but i felt the same away about 2 broke girls. Now i love both shows! Whitney a little bit more. It has more mature humour then 2 broke girls!
    KEEEP WHITNEY!!!!

Comment by Brooke Bethune – April 17, 2012 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A lot of successful shows got off to slow starts while they found their footing or just the perfect chemistry. By no means am I comparing this to Seinfeld, the best show ever, but go find the first episode. You have to let them grow on you sometimes while everything/everbody settles in. Most TV is such crap. This show is actually pretty cute and like someone else said what are they going to replace it with? They need to keep the ball rolling on this one and let it gain momentum and keep going. At least another season and bring more characters in and ease up on Whitney as center maybe. Make it more like FRIENDS. Love Chris/Alex. If this does go off give that guy his own show.

Comment by Leesa – April 20, 2012 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • who possibly would not laugh at this show? its hilarious and highly entertaining.

Comment by melissa – April 22, 2012 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely love this show, It prepared me for my dog dying, in a way. (The episode where they wanted a puppy but got a -teen dog, and it had died in the morning. That next morning my thirteen year old dog couldn’t get up and I had to put him down.) I hope that it gets a second chance.

Comment by becky – April 23, 2012 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Whitney should stay it is really funny keep it.

Comment by Zach – April 25, 2012 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whitney is soooooooo darn funny! Every character cracks me up! I AM Whitney! Please don’t cut the show. Me, my friends, and My Bitch all love it!

Comment by Ona – April 25, 2012 11:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show and I lobe Whitney Cummings, if they cancel this I will DIE!

Comment by Patricia nelson – April 26, 2012 01:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Whitney. I think it is absolutely hysterical and I loved it from day one. I find that especially Whitney’s comments are quick and funny. May of times, I watch the show and then make my husband watch with me. It is actually one comedy that he likes watching with me cause it isn’t typical. Please keep it.

Comment by Tara – April 26, 2012 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ‘Two Broke Girls’ over ‘Whitney’ ??? Puh-LEEEEEEEZE!!! WHY do they always take off the really smart, well put-together AND genuinely funny shows? Whitney and Alex are my heroes and I just HAVE to see where they are going – and I DON’T mean ‘failed-comedy-heaven’!

Comment by Debbie – May 1, 2012 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Whitney. My husband is a Community fan, but admits it has really lost steam & that show just makes me cringe. I am in my late 20s and I really hated Are you there & gave up on 2 Broke Girls halfway through the season.

My husband won’t admit to watching this show, but when he’s in the room he laughs out loud along with me. Please bring WHITNEY back.

Comment by lana – May 1, 2012 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whitney deserves another shot…it is the only show that NBC has that is worth watching. Like many posts before mine, I agree that the show got better each week and the cast had great chemistry.

Keep it NBC and maybe you will get some decent ratings for a change.

Comment by Chris – May 7, 2012 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree it got better each week hell I thought it was great from the start…and yeah ratings would be going up if aired again

Comment by kels – May 7, 2012 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is by far the best show ever!! Why would it even be an option to take it off…its witty and so easy for people to relate to….and its unbelievably hilarious PLEASE KEEP IT….after a long day of work everyone needs a good laugh and this is it….the characters are so real you’d think it was a reality show like they’ve know each other forever and that’s what makes the show great…they all have the perfect personalities…ITS AWESOME…PLEASE KEEP :) :)

Comment by kels – May 7, 2012 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree! That’s what I like about that show, we can relate to! Its so funny!

Comment by Sabrina Prévost-St-Pierre – June 18, 2012 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP WHITNEY!!!! and keep all the people on the show!

Comment by chetori henson – May 10, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY! So happy to hear WHITNEY has been RENEWED!!!!!

Comment by Linda – May 11, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Whitney so much! Every week the show got funnier. I’m so glad it did not get cancelled. The last episode made me laugh, cry, and fall in love even more. Give it another chance people. It’s unique, not the same as the sitcoms like The Office, Parks and Rec, etc. It brings something new to the table and I’m pumped for the second season! Thank you NBC for keeping it. I will have everyone watching it by next season.

Comment by Erin – May 31, 2012 11:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG! I can’t believe it! KEEP IT!!!!!! PLEASE RENEW IT!!! That show is so funny and it’s actually my favorite show! Whitney made us laugh so hard! People that doesn’t like it, dont have to watch it. It’d be SOOO stupid to cancel it! Id be really disappointed.

Comment by Sabrina Prévost-St-Pierre – June 18, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One word. Vagalzheimers. Keep it. It’s so hilarious and quick witted.

Comment by Jody – September 1, 2012 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of the best and funniest shows. She and Alex are so natural together that they make it seem so real. Love, love, love it. Will be very disappointed if it does not return.

Comment by Marie – September 18, 2012 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post