Castle Exclusive: [Spoiler] Is Back – But Why?

If you’ve been following TVLine’s Ask Ausiello column – and really, why wouldn’t you be? – you’ve gotten clues about the Castle character who will be turning up at season’s end. And thus far you’ve heard that it’s someone with ties to a former regular.

Well, clues shmues — TVLine can now confirm that the person set to resurface in the May 7 season finale is the late Captain Montgomery’s wife, Evelyn (to again be played by Judith Scott).

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Castle, Bones, Revenge, Sons of Anarchy, Psych and More!

What returns the widow to Beckett & Co.’s orbit? Here is what series creator Andrew W. Marlowe revealed about the season-ending encore. “Events force us to wonder whether the case we’re working on might be linked to the Beckett’s mother murder case” – aka the conspiracy-led cover-up that Monty was rather complicit in, and ultimately died for. “We’ll be picking at that scab again.”

Also on tap for Castle‘s Season 4 capper: Battlestar Galactica alum Tahmoh Penikett will begin a multi-episode run as a “cold, calculated” type with a military background. Hmmm… wonder how he is with a rifle?

Comments (27)

• Awesome… AWM continues to prove his superior storytelling capabilities.

Comment by Nerwen Aldarion – April 6, 2012 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In the season 3 finale , the actress Judith Scott did a great job ,is good to see her back.BTW I really miss Captain Montgomery , to kill him was a terrible idea.

Comment by Monica – April 6, 2012 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah… I’m really not filling Captain “Iron” Gates…

Comment by henry – April 6, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • feeling*

Comment by henry – April 6, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ehh, she’s grown on me over the course of this season, much like the main characters grew on me over the course of the first season of Castle.

Comment by BJ Wanlund (@bjwanlund) – April 6, 2012 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Don’t like her a bit. And you can tell that the writers don’t much either because she doesn’t get as much screen time as Montgomery did. My prob is that we only bring up this big conspiracy like 2xs a season when the show feels like being something different then what it is. The Mentalist is a good example of a show with a large mystery tied into daily activites at random intervals (Red John). This show sucks at it.

Comment by Danielle H – April 6, 2012 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m incline to agree. Their meta-narrative needs work. It’s too forced and makes the characters seem like caricatures of themselves the rest of the season.

Comment by Loki – April 7, 2012 12:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think it was a terrible idea to kill him since it had an incredible impact. I just think Penny Johnson Jerald’s Gates isn’t clicking with viewers. It’s partially on the writers’ heads, I feel. It’s such a quirky show and all the characters are so multi-faceted, whereas it seems like the Gates character has never been given a real opportunity to show a different side and break out of the “Iron Gates” persona. We need to see some real pathos from her instead of just seeing her be a hardass all the time. Jerald is a strong actress, so she really just needs the opportunity, I’d say.

Comment by DL – April 6, 2012 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally agree. And I cringe every time Beckett calls her “sir” – you don’t have to change your gender to earn respect – it just sends the wrong message.

Comment by Linderella – April 6, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yup, that “sir” thing drives me crazy. It seems so contrived.

Comment by lelu – April 6, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Plus, it’s kind of hard to like a character that is: 1) so self-involved, and 2) hates Castle. I mean, she might not like the idea of a writer embedded in one of her teams, but she really mostly loathes the star of the show, oen who is designed to be extremely likable. It’s off-putting,a nd seems to conflict with the vibe of the rest of the show.

Comment by Tarc – April 7, 2012 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This. But Marlowe already said that they’re going to show more of her story in S5.

Comment by Mari – April 9, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally they find that sniper! AWESOMENESS!!!!!

Comment by Brittany – April 6, 2012 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Helo!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay I needed him back in my life I love this lol

Comment by Gisele Glen – April 6, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t get me wrong, I don’t know why but I want her pissed at someone and have her slap them. She got robbed of a good husband who tried to atone for a misdeed when young.

I heart Capt Montgomery RIP!

And yes, rifle indeed.

AM better be ready to give up the goods this year. I’ve put Castle on DVR-status versus must-watch live TV. I’ll move them back into the live lineup if I think he’s going to deliver.

Comment by orchardist – April 6, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sigh. So many shows do this — have a running finale story line which they dust off every season and throw the viewers a couple fresh clues. The whole “who killed Kate’s mother” story line never was very interesting. Now that it’s entering its third year it’s just tired. C’mon guys, can’t you think up some fresh ideas to end the season? This show has been taking itself way too seriously in the past couple seasons. It used to be a fun show (okay, some unlucky guest has to be murdered to get things rolling — but otherwise it’s mostly a fun crime whodunit). Enough with the dark conspiracy crap. Just make the show fun again.

Comment by Tom – April 6, 2012 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder what he heck this show will do for season finales if they get Castle and Beckett together and/or solve her mother’s murder? Haven’t those two things, or a combination of them been the plot of every season finale? I’ve been a fan from the beginning, but I’m getting tired of watching the same episode every week.

Comment by Leah – April 6, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t agree with you more. I’m getting tired of the will they won’t they and mothers murder season finales.

Comment by sk – April 6, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. I have watched from the beginning as well, wanted them to get together. Now I don’t even care if the do or don’t just want that storyline to end somehow. I do like her mother’s murder storyline though.

Comment by Tori – April 6, 2012 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree – it’s time for Castle and Beckett to get together. They’re running the risk of losing the audience’s interest (like they did on Bones). They could resolve the mystery of Kate’s mom, and move onto the idea of discovering Castle’s dad.

Comment by Tarc – April 7, 2012 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The stupidity of Castle and Becket in the ‘will they/won’t they’ has finally done me in. I’m giving up on the show. Seeing the same thing over and over again is not intereting, it’s depressing.

Andrew Marlowe needs to watch The Closer to see a show who puts the couple together and does it well.

Comment by Kath – April 10, 2012 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh I TOTALLY knew it! when I saw people was speculating it was her I thought that was the most logical character to come back. People speculated Meredith I still don’t know why, Kate’s dad but then I thought he has been in this season already and the only one left was her! She fit in perfectly with the clues but I do wonder a bit more why she is back! I mean I get it has something to do with Kate’s mum’s murder but eh I am still a bit confused xD

Comment by Em J – April 6, 2012 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tahmoh! Yay!!!!! Always happy to see him on my TV screen.

Comment by Ruby – April 6, 2012 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew it was going to monty wife. The clues were all plounting to her. It said ties to “former” recurring character. That person would of have to be someone not on now. Also said she so knew it was a women. It couldn’t be meredith as she has ties to current characters and also the actress is on the new ABC show scandal.

I wonder what Evelyn role will be? She she be mad at the team about her husband death and want answers. Maybe he left clues at his house about beckett mother’s murder.

I more interested to see the return of Michael dorn as dr Burke.

Comment by Nicole – April 7, 2012 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i was a castle fan never missed an episode then castle is on one week off another getting confused loosing interest fast i feel the same solve mother,s murder say good by

Comment by mikki moore – April 11, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Heya just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few
    of the images aren’t loading properly. I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue.
    I’ve tried it in two different web browsers and both show the same results. Appreciate it!

Comment by autochargers.beep.com – July 18, 2013 12:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post