Blue Bloods Preview: Will Saving a Life Kill Jamie's Undercover Career?

Get More: Interviews, Previews

Tonight on Blue Bloods (CBS, 10/9c), Jamie plays hero by plucking someone from a fire — a good deed that nonetheless threatens to burn him, badly.

Teeing up the action and subsequent dilemma, Will Estes tells TVLine, “My character makes a split-second decision and ends up saving a baby from a burning building – which is sort of an iconic thing. And as you might expect, the press jumps all over it.”

Thing is, if Jamie’s face lands all over the news and papers, it will critically compromise the groundwork he has laid to get inside the Santino crime family.

“I’m still deep undercover, so it presents a visibility issue,” says Estes. “My face in the paper, in a police uniform, could be a huge problem. So chaos ensues!”

CBS Renews 18 Shows for Fall, Fate of Two Cop Dramas Left Up in the Air

OK, not so fast with the chaos. Because poppa Frank Reagan (played by Tom Selleck) gets an idea. Seeing as how Jamie actually handed off the imperiled infant to Sgt. Renzulli (Nick Turturro) before emerging from the blazing building , the commish gets the idea to have Jamie’s partner claimi credit for the deed.

But for Renzulli, “playing” hero doesn’t sit so easily. “It’s a really difficult thing for a proud police officer to do, taking credit for something you didn’t do,” Estes notes. “It’s a tribute to out friendship [that he endures it].”

And what about Jamie? Will he, in even the smallest of ways, feel cheated out of due recognition, his moment in the spotlight? Or does he recognize that it’s all for the greater good, meaning in the name of fighting greater crime?

“In that moment, he was just doing his job,” says Estes. And besides, the actor hints, “There’s a really nice scene where he does end up getting recognition, in a really special way – and that’s a great moment for Jamie.”

Comments (7)

• I really like Jamie as a character, and he had a very promising premise when the series started but he’s got to be the most underused character on TV. Whe see so little of him and he’s got pretty much nothing to do in lots of the episodes.

Comment by Leo – April 6, 2012 05:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jamie’s arc has been very interesting so far, I hope they continue Jamie undercover for some more time. I would also see more of the women on this show, which are very more unused, I think, and is more macho oriented. But will never see me complaining of more of Tom Selleck, and a plea for less of Donnie Wahlberg.( who is the main character on this show anyway, Tom or Donnie’s?).

Comment by tahina – April 6, 2012 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A plea for LESS Donnie Wahlberg? That is crazy talk!

Comment by T – April 6, 2012 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It amazes me how “Jamie” can go undercover when he has been photographed several times with his family and in uniform. Did I miss how this was addressed? I also thought he had asked to be removed from undercover after his last assignment

Comment by Ethel – April 6, 2012 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s Hollywood! Just enjoy the great show & don’t ask to many technical questions.

Comment by Richard – May 4, 2012 10:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about how Jamie as a rookie and go undercover or be recruited for that stupid Blue Templar storyline.

As cop shows go, this one is quite contrived. The family connections I could do without, but then there would be no “blue bloods”. I’d like to see more of Wahlberg’s partner, less of Grandpa. Would be nice if the stories were a little more realistic, and if the show didn’t take itself so seriously. I like Tom Selleck, but this show doesn’t serve him well.

Comment by Karen – April 6, 2012 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who wrote the story of a uniformed cop who also plays undercover in the mob at the same time is a moron. Now I know it’s “tv” but geezes this is just funny. They need a episode where the kid gets blown away and then follow up as to how NYPD changes their undercover protocol not doing both uniformed and UC work at the same..DUH.

Comment by Ray. S – February 9, 2014 12:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post