The Secret Circle on the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

Come mid-May (if not sometimes sooner), the networks will be making some tough calls as to which series will return for the 2012-13 TV season, and which … won’t. As we did last spring, TVLine is singling out select “bubble” shows to survey their prospects. Next up is a freshman drama hoping to conjure up a pick-up:

THE SHOW: The Secret Circle (The CW)

THE TIME SLOT: Thursdays at 9/8c.

THE CASE FOR KEEPING | With so many plots still to be resolved and mysteries to be delved into, a well-crafted season finale unleashing the right twists and a great cliffhanger could push the show into the Must See category alongside The Vampire Diaries. The ingredients are all there – an appealing cast (more Diana, please!), dark threats, intriguing power struggles – but it just needs that extra “something” to kick the show into full gear. Also, considering the timeslot competition (Grey’s, the red-hot Person of Interest, whatever’s airing after American Idol) and the challenges that come with a first year show finding its storytelling groove, it’s possible Secret Circle just hasn’t yet gotten a fair shot to show us everything it has up its sleeve.

THE CASE FOR CUTTING | The witchy drama is a solid companion to The CW’s vampy crown jewel, yes — but is that enough? There’s no sugarcoating it: Despite the build-up to its launch – It’s from Kevin Williamson! It’s also based on a L.J. Smith book series! It’s got magic! – TSC hasn’t been able to generate the same level of dynamic storytelling, ratings and buzz as its lead-in. And with so little real estate available – The CW only programs 10 hours a week – perhaps its time to give another series the plum perch behind the netlet’s most watched program?

Fox’s Fringe on the Bubble: Keep or Cut?

Vote below, then hit the Comments to make your own case for keeping or cutting The Secret Circle.

Comments (319)

• The fans were duped into rallying for The Secret Circle. The true fans thought they were helping. All of the hype was to keep the interest up and growing.

The fans will leave. If they are fans of Joe they will not return.

Right now I am so mad.

Comment by Nancy – May 11, 2012 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree…I think it would have been way more interesting if they added a twist where Blackwell WASN’T the bad guy they all thought he was and that there was something more going on…I was so happy to see Joe back on my TV!

Comment by Leena – May 11, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Joe may come back considering this is a supernatural -themed show…..never know.

Comment by Lauren – May 11, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show, I am 29 and love it ?? kind of strange b/c i’m not the teen’s age or the parent’s age, but I still like it. I always want to watch the next show. I have never seen the vampire diaries though so I cannot compare it… but witches are awesome & I think there will be a lot to explore next season.. Cassie & Adam getting back together? Blackwell said they had power together.. now Adam has the skull & Cassie is still a Blackwell, maybe they will “make magic together again”… ?? Also I would love to see who they may cast for the four other Blackwells that are coming to Chance Harbor, that should be interesting.. plus it’s kind of nice to see some fun happening w/ them having their solo magic back. Also glad Jake & Faye are “together”… and that the parents decided to do the right thing for once. Just so sad for Cassie who has lost every single person in her life, so it will be kind of annoying to get past the whole Adam being obsessed w/ the skull thing & them having a relationship, but like I said, maybe they will form some kind of scary power duo?? I really hope they don’t cancel this show.. but my fave show as a teenager was My So-called Life, and look what happened to that!! :(

Comment by Bethany – May 11, 2012 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh, I also hope Joe (blackwell) comes back too, I really liked him!

Comment by Bethany – May 11, 2012 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the season finale it was amazing. I hope they do the second season.

Comment by Yasaida Rivera – May 11, 2012 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Vampire diaries and this series are the best for me

Comment by SeriesOn – May 11, 2012 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everyone mentions the young witches. If it hadn’t been for Joe the show would have fallen apartl None of the young witches or the adults left are strong enough to pull the episodes together.Since Joe is gone, I cannot watch the show if it is renewed. A majority of Joe’s fans will leave and not come back. You have broken up the circle but also the series. We have watched Joe for 15+ years, We wanted to see him on the screen. I liked the series because it wasn’t too outrageous.’
    I am also disappointed because the executives got us to let our guard down. We wanted a 2nd season but had forgotten that Joe may be in danger. You just don’t know who you can trust.

Comment by Nancy – May 11, 2012 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE THE SECRET CIRCLE <3 ALOT plzz keep it!

Comment by Sara – May 11, 2012 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • uhhhhaaaa es muss eine zweite staffe geben. gründe? 1 happy end für cassie und adam und 2. warum lassen die diese letzte serie so aufhören? das ist ja wohl kein echter cut…..wie blöd die darüben sind. :-(

Comment by didi – May 12, 2012 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I adore it! This is the first movie after supernatural that I like. So please we want season 2. I love the love story at that movie. And so what if you like more TVD this is a new movie which includes more interesting stuff.Aren’t you sick of all the same movies that you watch? This is different. Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Aisha – May 15, 2012 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • join the facebook group called “keep the secret circle on AIR” type that in on the top and “like” it! SUCH A GREAT SHOW! really keeps you moving, so much goin on and so much energy put into it! im in love!

Comment by Danielle – May 18, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am only interested in The Secret Circle if Joe Lando is brought back. He made the show.

Comment by Nancy – May 18, 2012 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • secret circles deserves second season… the story and de characterization of the ppl is simply awesome!!!

Comment by Vishwambernath Gadwal – May 20, 2012 12:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • secret circle deserves second season…

Comment by Vishwambernath Gadwal – May 20, 2012 12:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show should not be cut! TVD and TCS are two of my favorite television shows! As for the story line between Adam and Cassie… I loved them getting together! The show just didn’t let the characters relationship develop long enough to where you could really feel it was written in the stars for them to be together. Im tired of hearing people say Adam isn’t a good leading male for this series… Those eyes take my breath away and he needs more face time in the show… preferably with Cassie! As for TVD… Stephan and Rebecca need to get together and Damon and Elana need to finally get together. I think the bringing together of these to couples would make the show even more exciting! Stephan makes Elana character boring, But rebecca makes Stephan more exciting and Damon makes Elana’s character more exciting because he brings her to life.

Comment by Cindy – May 21, 2012 04:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked The Secret Circle, however, without Joe I am gone. If renewed, will not watch.

Comment by ckm12seb – May 21, 2012 05:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if more..We all want the second season..pleaseeeeeeeee :(

Comment by maria_lopez – May 24, 2012 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show! And I also love The Vampire Diaries. The Secret Circle in which case is that is has so much more to give. For example, the ending on the finale was amazing. I couldn’t wait till the next series was up and going, but then I found out that they’re wasn’t going to be a next series, and I was gutted! The Vampire Diaries however is flipping amazing! It’s better than Twilight because it’s more realistic, but I also love Twilight! So I can’t really compare any of the show’s together. Becuase The Secret Circle is about witches and I can’t see a bunch of vampires coming into it! Keep the show, please!

Comment by Naomi Speakman – May 29, 2012 02:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • movies about witches and vampires are nice stories..:) and TSC is one…KEEP TSC and RENEW it please…PLEASE

Comment by jc – June 10, 2012 02:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • are these vote:keep or cut a help in renewing or cutting the tv series?
    keep. we have different taste of tv series…others like vamp diaries..others like TSC..and the same way around…the cast..i see it as not a big factor for cancelling it…the story matters…dead characters means not end of the show…if we give it another season..maybe it will be much better than the season 1..and if you didn’t like season 2..then tell CW to cut it..:)..the show ends with the coming of the 4 Balcoin blooded witches..maybe the next season would be amazing!
    YES to KEEP!

Comment by jc – June 10, 2012 02:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love both The Secret Circle and Vampire Diaries. The Supernatural have always fascinated me. These shows are great and the characters play them so well. I would very much like to see this show stay aroung for a very long time. There are a lot of people who just don’t appreciate great shows like most of us do. Cancel Ringer if you have to cancel anything, its boring. So please keep my shows and make a 53 year old woman happy. Thanks!

Comment by Susan Wilson – June 14, 2012 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no update yet?if it will be renewed????its still cancelled?????keep it!!!!!!!

Comment by jc – June 18, 2012 01:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • you should definatly bring the show back not only because there are too many unanswerd questions but its a great show and i am positive more people will watch it if it comes back the ratings and weiwers will go over the roof please birng it for more seasons i certain after season 2 starts the public will be amazed and want to watch more and more !!!!

Comment by jenni – August 13, 2012 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Unfortunately, the young witches are going to other shows. They do not have a full cast. Joe Orlando killed by his 2 daughters. After he arrived on the show, his acting ability pulled pulled the eposides together. Without him I would not watch The Secret Circle if it was brought back I feel like the executive producer walked out on the show and went back to The Vampire Dairies. This series was develop by him.

Comment by Nancy – August 13, 2012 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • לדעתי זאת עונה מעולה ה-1 מותחת כיפית ומגניבה כלמה שצריך בסידרת מתח

Comment by dovdvni – August 20, 2012 11:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get!!!!pls pls nd pls……the producers nd directors shudnt just end the TSC like dis……dey left us in suspense….dats nt rite nd fair…newais…..m sooo lovin TVD

Comment by tee – August 24, 2012 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the books and the show was just staring to get interesting as it should. The second season was just about to really get into everything. the character where great, and it really kept me on the edge of my seat :) Even my bf was watching it with me ( I am pretty sure it was because of the girls though ). Please bring it back. Please Please Please.

Comment by crazybella1 – September 3, 2012 05:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All of you are saying that TSC should be cut and other shows should stay. I havent even thought of watching Hart of Dixie, tried watching Ringer but it was just too boring, but I absolutely love TVD. TVD was slow at the start too and there was barely any action, where TSC has a lot of action and the show was a little creepy at times, which makes it interesting. Not saying keep TSC over TVD but at least keep it over Ringer, Hart of Dixie, or even Nikita(A show that I actually do like)

Comment by P – September 9, 2012 01:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol as i read this i was like omg did i write this b/c i cant remember

Comment by isaiah – September 10, 2012 12:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Secret Circle did not have low ratings and the show was not expensive to produce compared to it’s fantasy neighbors on the same network. The CW network blames the cancelation of The Secret Circle on a drop in the ratings mid-season. If you recall, this is the first time the CW officially experimented with what they newly termed “mid-season finales” and this created a lot of confusion with the viewers of multiple programs on this network. There were so many hiatuses in the season that the viewers simply could not keep up with when to watch the new episodes! This mistake is solely the fault of the network, and they are blaming ratings (in other words, the viewers) for having to cancel The Secret Circle. The CW Network needs to own up to their own mistakes instead of punishing the viewers. The CW network has made mistake after mistake since they effectively merged the WB with CBS to become the CW. The CW needs to take a good hard look at the successes they had as the WB within this same genre. The Secret Circle has the potential to last a minimum of five seasons. A good network would be able to recognize that and see that the fan base has already far exceeded that of Nikita (no offense to Nikita fans, just stating the facts–a quick look at the numbers on Facebook tells much) and The Secret Circle had only one very fragmented season with too many breaks before and after this newly invented “mid-season finale.” Simply put, cut the crap and get rid of these breaks in the season. It was your own downfall! Don’t blame ratings when that was clearly not the issue! Stop lying publicly about the how’s and the why’s. Your viewers are smarter than you give them credit! Now own up to your mistakes and Save the Secret Circle and Bring back Ringer! You will see your Fall ratings plummet for real this time when the low budget replacements you picked up for Fall 2012 flop, and rightfully so because they dishonor the memory of the WB

Comment by isaiah – September 9, 2012 11:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • totally agree ))

Comment by Amelia – September 29, 2012 05:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show!!!! It was great.. It was so great that it came on after vampire diaries… it just was must watch TV! Please bring this show back… Listen to the fans and give them what they want. We Love TSC!

Comment by Michelle Titus – September 10, 2012 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • this show is better and more interesting than vampire diaries ))

Comment by Amelia – September 29, 2012 05:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that there should b a season 2 as u done so well with season 1, there r so meny ways that u can go, plz bring season 2 out,plz consider it!!! Thanks

Comment by Michael – September 22, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It defiantly deserves a second season.The main reason I say that is because of the AWESOME season finally. It totally caught my interest in the first & last episodes. PLEASE KEEP THE SHOW. Its the best witch show since charmed.

Comment by RonRonnnnn – September 25, 2012 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like this show and the way it develops….I want season two, I think the show deserves it..what can I say about actors? i don’t like Dekker but i like Tonkin and Zylka))) i want them to be together…that’s all))

Comment by Amelia – September 29, 2012 05:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally I’m a Brit Paterson and Chris Zylka fan myself, believing they had a certain spark to them in the movie and wanted to see where it would go. (Kind of like the whole Damon Elena thing) But that’s just me. I personally love this show and watched every single episode. The sad thing is there isn’t even a DVD of it. I mean c’mon. I swear the CW has the worst track record with cutting good quality shows like Birds of Prey and The Secret Circle. Really everything the poster (isaiah) said I totally agree with. Even if this show doesn’t air on the CW and gets picked up by another network I would still watch it, that’s how much I love it. But putting it after/behind The Vampire Diaries was a good place. What better night to get all your supernatural goodies from than a back to back Thursday night? Really CW, bring us season 2 and then season 3 and keep it as it was (actors and story lines and all) because that’s how much we loved it. That’s all I’m asking.

Comment by Laura – September 29, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is geting good dont cut the show keep it

Comment by casey – October 1, 2012 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The secret circle is my favorite tv show and TVD as well I can’t believe it’s cancelled and the finale left me wondering what was going to happen they need to bring it back!!!! Either to CW or ABC family I wanna see it!!!!!! Cancel other stupid shows like hart of Dixie or glee and let secret circle return I’d watch it on abc family

Comment by Courtney – October 2, 2012 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this show deserves another season! I just finished watching the first, and it was amazing

Comment by jeremy – October 7, 2012 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I rally hope the secret circle comes back for a season 2…I literately couldn’t wait for Thursday to watch this i got very into it & kept waiting for the second season to come on the i found out that they might cancel it!!! =/ VERY UPSET just when things get great you have to take it away….There are not that many shows on t.v now a days that catch my eye and this one did.

Comment by mandy – October 10, 2012 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please let there be a second season .. The show got so good at the end ..:(

Comment by isoshy – October 11, 2012 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it would b a real shame 2 miss the second series of secret circle . i really enjoyed series 1 and im really lookin forward to season 2

Comment by cath – October 14, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Theeey better keep this on.
    I swear its like the best show. <333
    In my opinion.
    Jussss' sayiin'.

<33

Comment by allllly. – October 23, 2012 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, I think that Thesecret circle should have its second season. maybe even third, the actors and actresses kept it alive along with the story itself. Plus TVD got its time to shine, and have plenty seasons. Also, i found NO interest in the show at all. But TSC made me want more, and i do want more. WE need that 2cnd season, we have to know if Cassie and Diana ever join their other siblings and bind the Blackwell’s family circle…we need this, and by “we” i mean the “fans” i mean dont do this to us, if you take away the show that we love its going to leave us heart broken making us think about the show even more, i mean if you air the second season it will answer some of our questions of what will happen next, or what will happen to them. So please agree with me and VOTE KEEP to keep the circle bound. forever (:

Comment by Vote Keep!!! Fia – November 2, 2012 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i wish i could be the director of this season.of all the comments i read…first off killing off nick in the begining was smart actually.if u watched through u would know he came back in the end as a traiter.and everything made sense.as far as blackwell hello he is black magic and so is cassie and the other 5 children.havent u heard of reserection?The other 4 blackwells obviously aint good if they were comming to bind a circle with cassie and her sister.this season was left so open i would hate to leave it so far in the left field.how awesome would it be to see blackwell come back because his house still stands w/his symbols on it.oh and what about all the elders that was killed wrong n their magic n ghost was still around.man i could do so much with this show if it was mine.they should so bring it back watching it all it was well put together.i dont say that considering i DONT watch tv an a huge movie cridic…

Comment by Sarah White – November 16, 2012 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they should do a second season I think the secret circle is amazing :)

Comment by Jude – November 20, 2012 03:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The CW network make a huge mistake when it cancelled TSC. It was becoming a good show after Joe Lando became part of the cast.

Comment by Nancy – November 20, 2012 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show was freaking awesome! !!!!!!!!!! My two favorite is faye and diane and Melissa! !!!!! Hope it comes back because i waas really into the storyline ..omg and i hope they bring back Charles

Comment by Dont_Forget – November 23, 2012 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it keep it I love this show it was so good to me. This show made my week go faster and more bearable not to mention I’m a HUGE fan of the books too. I’m in love with cassie and jake(cake) they are my muse for poetry. So do all of us a favor and bring it back on. It was getting good in the end.

Comment by giovannaelizabeth – November 29, 2012 11:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I mean are you serious!!!!!!!!!!!??????? u are cancelling the secret circle!…….:’((((……..how could they do that!i absolutely love that show………and it deserves to be brought back………….i hate u cw!!!!!!!!

Comment by ashley – December 12, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please bring back the secret circle…………..it’s miserable to live without tsc!!!………..:(((…………..i say keep it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by ashley – December 12, 2012 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • forget all the vampires and werewolves… i want my witches back!

Comment by cheddar – December 28, 2012 02:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HERE IN THE PHILIPPINES…WE WANT THE SECRET CIRCLE BACK…! I WATCHED THE WHOLE EPISODES OF SEASON 1 ON ETC CHANNEL AND AT FIRST I LOVE IT..! I LIKED THE WHOLE CAST SPECIALLY CASSY..! I LOVE THE SHOW…!

Comment by lhaizelle – February 5, 2013 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • keeeeeeeepppppppp

Comment by douglas – February 12, 2013 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this shows first season was amazing and perfect they should continue this is my faviorate show please keep it going i got soo many prople i know hooked on this show like i am i need to know what happens

Comment by Essie Lopez – February 13, 2013 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post