The Secret Circle on the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

Come mid-May (if not sometimes sooner), the networks will be making some tough calls as to which series will return for the 2012-13 TV season, and which … won’t. As we did last spring, TVLine is singling out select “bubble” shows to survey their prospects. Next up is a freshman drama hoping to conjure up a pick-up:

THE SHOW: The Secret Circle (The CW)

THE TIME SLOT: Thursdays at 9/8c.

THE CASE FOR KEEPING | With so many plots still to be resolved and mysteries to be delved into, a well-crafted season finale unleashing the right twists and a great cliffhanger could push the show into the Must See category alongside The Vampire Diaries. The ingredients are all there – an appealing cast (more Diana, please!), dark threats, intriguing power struggles – but it just needs that extra “something” to kick the show into full gear. Also, considering the timeslot competition (Grey’s, the red-hot Person of Interest, whatever’s airing after American Idol) and the challenges that come with a first year show finding its storytelling groove, it’s possible Secret Circle just hasn’t yet gotten a fair shot to show us everything it has up its sleeve.

THE CASE FOR CUTTING | The witchy drama is a solid companion to The CW’s vampy crown jewel, yes — but is that enough? There’s no sugarcoating it: Despite the build-up to its launch – It’s from Kevin Williamson! It’s also based on a L.J. Smith book series! It’s got magic! – TSC hasn’t been able to generate the same level of dynamic storytelling, ratings and buzz as its lead-in. And with so little real estate available – The CW only programs 10 hours a week – perhaps its time to give another series the plum perch behind the netlet’s most watched program?

Fox’s Fringe on the Bubble: Keep or Cut?

Vote below, then hit the Comments to make your own case for keeping or cutting The Secret Circle.

1. Brian says:

I voted to renew but it wasn’t an easy decision. I think the show started off great and then turned into a hot mess with a lack of continuity, meaningless side plots and characters that dropped in and out without any impact. They completely wasted Gale Harold after promoting him and featuring him and getting great reviews for his work. I believe Chris Zylka was a positive force to the show and am glad he became a regular. However, even if they are renewed, if they continue to sideline Gale, or if they kill him off, I won’t watch it and neither will a legion of his fans. We already feel duped by the early promotion and failure to deliver as promised. On another note, I tried to watch Ringer and it was so ridiculous, convoluted and laugh out loud melodramatic that I couldn’t do it. If that show gets renewed, the CW is truly without leadership. As for TVD, I do not understand why all these posters here are reacting as if they would cancel either TVD or TSC so it is some kind of epic battle. They arent canceling TVD, so why the push? Makes no sense. I would like to see TSC stay if they hire some real writers and keep their early promises regarding Gale. As for Dekker, he is a good actor, has proven that in multiple movies/shows. He can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear given the dreadful plots they gave him not to mention the dialogue. Not the actor’s fault. Get your act together, TSC.

2. Nat says:

Keep The Secret Circle. However, the adults have to be strong. The only strong adult actor that I have see is Joe Lando. The show has to be pulled together.

3. Shovy says:

KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP IT.THE SHOW DESERVES SEASON TWO

4. June says:

SECRET CIRCLE is one of the best shows on tv, i love that show i hope it stays on tv for a long time i vote for keep, I think the actors does a wonderful job they are great , best of luck guys.

5. heidi says:

Cut Secret Circle. It is badly written show and it needs to make place for better shows on the CW’s schedule

6. Maranda says:

KEEP The Secret Circle, Vampire Diaries, and Heart of Dixie. Or I will never watch the cw50 agian.

7. Inigo says:

Keep it! The first episodes were really exciting for me and I watched the first six episodes three times each. It was especially the fourth one “Heather” that got me overexited about this show. But after that the episodes weren’t as good. But after the winter hiatus, it came back from the dead (not only the demons ;)) with interesting storylines about Cassie’s father John Blackwell, developing the character Lee (it’s still sad that he died), the “curse” between the Conants and the Blakes and the resurrection of the demons. What really got me excited for a second season, is the part in the episode “Sacrifice” in which Samuel was just sort of exploded into parts by Blackwell. Such a twist! I hope that he stays and that TSC will get a renewal so it can get better and do as well as TVD (which is also a beloved show that I watch).

8. Lenay Dunn says:

keep!!!!! its my favorite tv show ever. and i don’t remember the last time i looked forward to watching a TV series each week this much. I’m in brazil for a week with crappy internet and spent 2 days trying to download the latest episode lol. i also want cassie and adam to fall back in love again. its making me kind of mad that aren’t right now. k bye

9. Nancy says:

The ratings are very low for Nikkita.

10. Fayel says:

The best show on earth , better than TVD , and Faye is thhe best!

11. Me says:

Melissa is my favorite character by far! I think the show has potential. It just needs more magic and less relationship drama.

12. Flave says:

Please save The Secret Circle! I love it and it’s finding its legs and showing potential to be an amazing show! Right now I enjoy it and look forward to it more than The Vampire Diaries, so please, keep it CW, not to mention the ratings are solid and this show is your second best in ratings after TVD,

13. ALEANA says:

KEEP! KEEP! PLEASE LOVE THIS SHOW

14. cas says:

I like the show. I wouldn’t say it’s better than TVD though. I like Cassie and Adam. I think they will get better as the seasons progress too as most actresses/actors do. I remember thinking Bonnie in the first season of TVD was awful and now I think she has gotten way better. On that note I think the older male characters are definitely more eye candy than the younger ones. And whats with Jakes hair? I hate it so much.

15. Nancy says:

Joe Lando added the depth the show needed. Since he stared in 2 soap operas at the beginning of his acting career, he has gained the experience the show needed. There were too many focal points and Joe is pulling them together. This is making the show easier to follow.
    I have read that many viewers think the show moves to slow. There were so many stories going on. That makes the show hard to keep up with. Especially when they add new characters.

16. bklyngirl says:

Please keep The Secret Circle. It’s improving. Pheobe Tonkin, Thomas Dekker, Chris Z and Shelly Henning are hot on the eyes and have the potential to go further with their characters.
    Get rid of the boring and annoying Hart of Dixie!

• bklyngirl says:

Cassie and Adam conenction, and the tension between Faye and Jake need to continue. So much story to tap into.

17. bklyngirl says:

Typo: connection

18. florence says:

I love this show, don’t even consider canceling it!

19. Mase says:

Wow, I really love this show. I have to admit it goes by really slow but you just have to pay attention to the details. The writers are really the problem. They need to put more work into this. And the actors are great. I just wish they pretended to like each other atleast. They’re all so stiff and unrealistic. But, other than that it’s great. KEEP!

20. Justin says:

The Secret Circle absolutely needs to stay on the air!!! Since it’s in its freshman season, TSC could find a natural and well-defined groove if it came back next year. The first couple of episodes and some later ones were amazing. I agree that there is something missing to bring this show over the edge – a new character to their circle, an overarching evil villain or maybe even a defined storyline. The current storyline of witch hunters is good, but there’s no real evil presence (Cassie’s dad has been somewhat of a let-down coming from someone who has read the book series). Next season the show could highlight more of dark magic with a real villain presence instead of a small bad guys – possibly a rival circle of dark magic teenage witches?

21. Ann says:

Joe definitely needs to stay on the show. He is the only actor in the cast that is strong enough in experience to make a difference.

22. julia says:

Definitely keep the show! I love this show, they have really developed the characters since the beginning. They developed the four girls’ characters the best, now its time for Adam and Jake. Also, we need more secrets and magic and demons!

23. julia says:

Also, whenever cassie broke the medallion that just ruined a whole plot line in itself. They could have done so much with that necklace. It could have lead up to something big and intriguing that kept everyone on the edge of their seats. But, she broke it and it didn’t even release any spirits.
    I do really hope they renew it for another season though. It seems as if they are just getting the groove of things. They need to bring in some big villain or a council with a lot of power, yet corrupted or something. This show has a lot of potential and they need to stop playing it safe and bring in some real twist to the storyline.

• june says:

What the hell happened to Gale Harold? His story line, if there ever was one, has disappeared along with him. He was the only reason I started watching in the first place. Seriously underused for an actor with his talent.

24. nicole says:

i think this show is brilliant i agree that after the first episode(one of my favorites)it was a little slow to pick up but now its brilliant and i think dekker is really good and definitely one of my favorite characters in the show!
    it definitely deserves to be renewed
    love it!!!!

25. desertstar3 says:

Come on this show has awesome potential bring it back bring it big it’s a good show just give it time to grow!

26. Marva ORLY!? says:

CUT. This show is a waste of space. They fail SO hard on trying to copy The Vampire Diaries. And people should stop comparing The Vampire Diaries with The Secret Circle. It’s like comparing God with the most worthless and useless thing in the entire universe. I hated the show since the first episode. While I kept watching till episode 19 thinking it might get better in the future. But guess what? It gets worse and worse. While I liked TVD since episode 1 and I might kill myself out of happiness and excitement. I can’t imagine this show has a future. A lot of people hate it. There should be a new show to replace it with GOOD actors.

• Penni Fields says:

Although you have the right to your own opinion, so do I. And my opinion is everyone needs to stop comparing TSC to TVD. The concept is totally different. The only sameness is they both revolve around teens. I have watched TSC since the first show. I almost gave it up only because the show was more about the teens than the adults. Then all of sudden, the show began to focus on John Blackwell and his connection to the others in the circle. The writing got better and now I almost feel like a teen again because I can’t wait to see what Blackwell has in store for Ethan, Dawn, and Charles, the parents of all those kids in the circle.I haven’t read the books so I can’t compare the show to the story, but so far they are keeping my interest. That is all any show can ask for in this day and time. I do hope for a season two, and having Joe Lando as Blackwell would be a bonus.

27. victor says:

This series is an amazing series. It would be disasterous if they cut it. Please do not cut The Secret Circle. It is amazing and definitely worth a 2nd season.

28. tiff says:

LOVE THIS SHOW. DONT CUT PLEASE. Its awsome

29. Jayse says:

Alot of you are complaining that you could only watch a couple of episodes, well if you actually kept watching the story lines slowly unraveled. I think this show is great! To compare this show to charmed is biased simply because they both practiced wicca in different contexts. I love how TSC is written especially how it is nearing the end of the season, it’s really does leave you wanting more. I say KEEP IT!

30. tash says:

keep it !!!!!!!! love adam/cassie :)

31. Grace says:

The books of TSC were amazing but watching the Secret Circle religiously every week makes me realise that TV isn’t as bad as everyone makes it out to be. The TV version of TSC is WAY better!!
    1) The death of Nick and the addition of Jake REALLY shook it up and gave another option rather then just plain Adam and Cassie like the book but a little Jake and Cassie action too.
    2) The TV show allows Faye (brilliantly portrayed by Phoebe Tolkin) to grow as a character. In the book she comes across pure evil but in the show it’s shown that she does care about her friends e.g Melissa and I loved the episodes where Diana, Faye and Melissa teamed up!! Brilliant trio of gorgeus brunettes there!!
    3) The addition of Lee, Calluma and Eva really excited things. It gave Faye something to fight for which shows that she can care about people which I think was really nice. Lee and Eva made the show really exciting but they haven’t been seen for a while. I want to see more of them because I think Eva is a really interesting character with brilliant acting from both Alexia Fast and Grey Damon.
    Bring back The Secret Circle for a second season!! They have more to give!!

32. Gina says:

Loving TSC and watch it without fail, with my kids, I might add. The teens are coming into their own and its nice to see the change in the dynamics with the different pairings recently. The episodes are getting better and I can’t wait to find out if Cassie and Adam realise there is no curse, if everyone finds out exactly who killed Amelia, Nick and Grandma Jane (doesn’t this mean Charles is just as bad as Blackwell) what will Diana and Faye think when they realise their parents have murdered people too, what’s gonna happen now Nick’s returned and what exactly is Blackwell is up to. There are too many avenues to go down in just 2 episodes so we definitely need a season 2 to answer all of these and much much more. Also I think the continual mid season breaks don’t help with ratings so it’s unfair to just base decisions on that. Come on CW the UK loves TSC

33. Jurelle says:

Keep It. If It Weren’t For This And Supernatural (which Is Slackin A Little) I Think The CW would Die. I’m Into Supernatural things but tired of all these damn werewolves and vampires…. I Just want to see a demon or 3 vanquished. (I miss charmed lol)

34. Jurelle says:

Keep

35. Effy says:

You guys are assholes. Like seriously. TVD is good, but now TSC is so much better! I LOVE Decker and Zylka they were born to act. And now that Nick is back in the episode ‘Traitor’ Who really wants it to end??? not me!

• Rachel says:

That’s exactly what I was thinking, but now Nick is killed AGAIN so I’m definitely not gonna watch season 2 if it does get renewed.

36. TSC fan says:

I will very disappointed if this show is cancelled, not to mention CW will lose a viewer being that the only reason I tune in to the network is this show. While yes I might watch something else because I see a preview during TSC, I will not being seeing them because I will not be watching. I am sick and tired of good shows being canceled because greedy networks are looking for something better to come along when what they already have is great. If it is canceled I hoped everything they place in it’s time slot bombs, I certainly will not tune in out of shear spite. TSC has been good since the beginning and is only getting better, especially with the addition of Joe Lando’s antihero John Blackwell. Most of the storylines and character are compelling and get better with every episode. Now that Diana has been revealed as the other Blackwell, I can’t wait to find out what will happen. If this show is cancel I will be pissed and will not waste my time on the CW (not even for Supernatural and that is huge for me).

• Nancy says:

If the President of CW refers to GetGlue to get some of his information, I hope he also depends on people in financial situations.
      When reading the replies, it seems to me that the readers have good fixes for what in their opinion is wrong.
      If Joe is killed or TSC is not renewed , the CW network will lose a large fan base. These people equal lost money. Joe’s fan base will leave and not return, The next show may not bring in enough viewers. They are trying to get women age 18-49.

37. Rachel says:

CUT. Just watched the episode right before the season finale, and HOLY CRAP. Even if the show gets renewed (which I doubt) I am definitely not going to watch season 2. What was the freaking point of bringing Nick back for a few minutes of screen time just to kill him off again? I’m a huge fan of the books, so the plotline of the show generally pisses me off a lot.

38. Keep. I am a fan of the books and I wished that they had keep Nick on the show. But, just like Vampire Diaries, I like the show too. I like the difference between the written material and the visual material. With all the visual representation of a book, the writers have to either cut things out or change it to fit the show. Look at all the movies and other tv shows out there, like Pretty Little Liars or Vampire Diaries. If they kept close to the books, those who read the books would know exactly what happens and it would not draw attention to anyone. I have read the books of both series and I am extremely satisfy with the show. Just like am I with the Secret Circle. I use to hate how like movies or shows are different from the books, but I have since decided that it does matter. I do not compare them anymore, I just sit back and watch them. I hope others would stop comparing the show to the books because they have come away from Secret Circle books to its own developed show. Like I mention before with Pretty Little Liars and Vampire Diaries. They have developed into their own stories with the books as a reference.
    I hope the show does get renew, I want to see the story get developed more. It has gotten better with each episode and I do believe it will get better in Season 2 like Vampire Diaries and like also Pretty Little Liars.

39. danielle says:

i love this show i think it should def. b kept and all of its cast members getting rid of them wouldnt make the secret circle well……the secret circle. i cant wait for a season 2!!!

40. Nancy says:

The Secret Circle really began when Blackwell came. The show came to life.

41. Glynnis says:

TSC started off just sort of OK, but after only a few episodes in I found the characters to be rather annoying and one dimensional. Now, I’m no old prude and I have nothing against drinking, HOWEVER, this whole underage-let’s-pop-another-bottle thing is just way too overdone. It seems to me that Melissa’s character is on a fast track to an AA meeting, while little miss Cassie thinks she’s so invincible with all her dark magic glory that she rarely uses common sense when tracking down the bad guys (it’s like a baby version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which, if it was still 1998 then that might pass as good TV) Sorry, but I’m over this show already, which is really unfortunate because I think the actors have so much more to offer than these cookie-cutter characters who border on being completely boring to pill poppers and insane

42. Avery says:

The CW better give the secret circle a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and so on seasons !!! this by far is my favorite show of all time … Charmed, Buffy, Angel, and Smallville were very great shows I loved every cast member of those shows especially charmed ;) but the secret circle is more modern, more up to date more of what the people want to see !! ( in other words out with the old in with new they aint got sh** on you TSC ) the vampire diaries is my favorite too but ever since the first episode of secret circle ive been more intrigued more glued to their cliff hangers. Lets just call TSC the Grim Reaper of the CW network because they’re killing everyshow on the Network. and as for Chris and Thomas dont ever disrespect these two as actors. I cant think of any other actors that would’ve done a better job… not to mention the chemistry between Chris(jake) and Pheobe(Fe),
    fierce !!!!!!
    TSC I would like to give you a round of applause ( clap clap ) and a Congratulations to a great first season & hopefully many more to come :) you’ve earned it !!
    Sincerly,
    Just a fan

43. Pleasr keep the Secret circle it has been the best show ever
    And do not wait too long

44. I love this show!!!!!!!!!!! TSC has everything magic, family issues, etc U never know whats gonna happen that why I love this show I can tell the characters are really gona grow more and more . It’s just that since it’s a show about magic everyone expects it to be just about magic but it’s more than that and I hope that the show gets more exciting SAW THE SEASON FINALE AND I LOVED IT CANT WAIT FOR SEASON 2 THINGS ARE GONNA HEAT UP1

45. yogawithmark says:

I have a feeling the second season is where the real story begins. Season one is just building the characters and plot of the story. Now I want to see the real story begin! Season 2 please!!!

46. I love the Secret Circle and the ending of season one was wow. It was amazing. I am hoping that they do the second season.

47. I think it should not be compared to TVD because it’s different. Every show is different and should not be compared to each other. I really really love TSC and i also love the books. I think it has to be season 2! It deserves it!
    At the beginning it really wasn’t so good but the story is growing and now that I watched the new episode, the season finale I am shocked how good it was. I can’t wait for the next season!
    Ah and TVD isn’t so good. The book is better! ;) But I love it too so I am happy that there will be a next season! :)
    I really hope that TSC will go to the next round which means SEASON TWO! :D

48. Cassie says:

i really think that they should keep it going! there are just to many things to do and figure out. they can not cut this show. reasons why. 1. Diana has left and has to come back. 2. the witches that are coming form the other circles have to make it to chance harbor. and 3. the witches who come to chance harbor have to be stopped. if they cut the secret circle, i am going to be so angry, and i mean this, I WILL STOP WATCHING THE CW CHANNEL AND NEVER EVER WATCH ANYTHING THAT THEY PUT ON AGAIN >:( . plus they can’t cut it. out of 100 percent of people, 82.15 percent of people want it to keep going.

49. dexter morgan says:

First I just started to watch it because of cassie.She has some unique beauty.And again all the girls are very nice.But it is becoming very interesting every next episode.Just keep it that way.Good luck