Jimmy Smits Joins Sons of Anarchy For Major Season 5 Arc

Sons of Anarchy is revving up the drama with a little help from Jimmy Smits.

The erstwhile Dexter Big Bad has booked a major season-long arc in the upcoming upcoming fifth season of the FX hit, playing Neron “Nero” Padilla, a Latino gangster who becomes an unlikely (and dangerous) mentor for the Sons’ new king, Jax.

Our sister site Deadline first reported the casting.

Sons of Anarchy Boss on Season 5 Game Plan, and the Arrival of ‘King’ Jax and ‘Queen’ Tara

In addition to Dexter, Smits’ most recent TV credits include starring roles on two short-lived series, NBC’s Outlaw and CBS’ Cane.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Casting News

1. Carmen says:

Holy shhhh! This is some badass and great casting news! Between Danny Trejo, Emilio Rivera, and now Jimmy Smits…LATINOS REPRESENT! :D

2. Ugh, I must be the only one in the world that hates Jimmy Smits. It was a Chore to watch him on Dexter. Luckily SOA is badass & I think Kurt Sutter will hopefully do something cool with him. But goddammit, I am like the only one that DOESN’T like this addition for the season.

3. Laurel says:

Smits was fantastic on Dexter .
    Looking forward to another great season of SOA.

4. Megan says:

Err… Smits was awful on Dexter, IMO. Was glad when that season ended. Hopefully he’ll be better for Sons.

5. Reblogged this on WWJW? and commented:
    When Jiimmy Smits guest starred on Dexter that was my favorite season, I can only imagine this upcoming season of Sons will be the same!

6. Morgan says:

Strangely enough, I’m watching the season seven debate episode of The West Wing right now. I thought Jimmy was great there, was great on Dexter, and I’m looking forward to him on Sons.

7. tim says:

i think he’s overused– getting sick of him (though i never disliked him before)

8. Rachel says:

Love me some Smits – going back decades. His role on NYPD Blue cannot be topped.

• suzi says:

I agree, the show was never the same after he left, IMO, of course. I’ve always enjoyed his acting, and I think he’ll be great on SOA.

9. Deeezy says:

I like Jimmy Smits coming aboard the next SAMCRO adventure, but when the hell is Zoebelle coming back for revenge? I thought I remember Sutter saying that Arkin was to return by this season.

10. Pat D. says:

Smits was terrible on Dexter, but I think that was more a result of the way his character was written than a reflection of his acting ability. The role seemed to call for somebody to chew the scenery, and boy, did Jimmy-boy do that.

11. Michaela says:

Looking forward to seeing Jimmy and Season 5 of SOA !!!!