Jimmy Smits Joins Sons of Anarchy For Major Season 5 Arc

Get More: Casting News

Sons of Anarchy is revving up the drama with a little help from Jimmy Smits.

The erstwhile Dexter Big Bad has booked a major season-long arc in the upcoming upcoming fifth season of the FX hit, playing Neron “Nero” Padilla, a Latino gangster who becomes an unlikely (and dangerous) mentor for the Sons’ new king, Jax.

Our sister site Deadline first reported the casting.

Sons of Anarchy Boss on Season 5 Game Plan, and the Arrival of ‘King’ Jax and ‘Queen’ Tara

In addition to Dexter, Smits’ most recent TV credits include starring roles on two short-lived series, NBC’s Outlaw and CBS’ Cane.

Comments (18)

• Holy shhhh! This is some badass and great casting news! Between Danny Trejo, Emilio Rivera, and now Jimmy Smits…LATINOS REPRESENT! :D

Comment by Carmen – April 5, 2012 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh, I must be the only one in the world that hates Jimmy Smits. It was a Chore to watch him on Dexter. Luckily SOA is badass & I think Kurt Sutter will hopefully do something cool with him. But goddammit, I am like the only one that DOESN’T like this addition for the season.

Comment by Joey C. (@Joey_C523) – April 5, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you. I have never enjoyed anything he has ever done. Dexter was a chore with the season with him. I would have been much happier with this news if it was for an episode or two. An entire season made my heart sink.

Comment by Tori Melching (@lizjaxe) – April 5, 2012 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m glad someone agrees with me. Everyone i’ve talked to was like “oh whatever! Jimmy smits was fantastic on Dexter.” No. He wasn’t, really. lol. Was soooo stoked for the new season for SOA. Now, not so much.

Comment by Joey C. (@Joey_C523) – April 5, 2012 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re in a minority…he killed it in Dexter and will do it again in SOA!!

Comment by c – April 5, 2012 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No you are not.

Comment by Johnna – July 18, 2012 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smits was fantastic on Dexter .
    Looking forward to another great season of SOA.

Comment by Laurel – April 5, 2012 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Err… Smits was awful on Dexter, IMO. Was glad when that season ended. Hopefully he’ll be better for Sons.

Comment by Megan – April 5, 2012 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on WWJW? and commented:
    When Jiimmy Smits guest starred on Dexter that was my favorite season, I can only imagine this upcoming season of Sons will be the same!

Comment by Christopher Jobes – April 5, 2012 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Strangely enough, I’m watching the season seven debate episode of The West Wing right now. I thought Jimmy was great there, was great on Dexter, and I’m looking forward to him on Sons.

Comment by Morgan – April 5, 2012 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think he’s overused– getting sick of him (though i never disliked him before)

Comment by tim – April 5, 2012 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love me some Smits – going back decades. His role on NYPD Blue cannot be topped.

Comment by Rachel – April 5, 2012 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, the show was never the same after he left, IMO, of course. I’ve always enjoyed his acting, and I think he’ll be great on SOA.

Comment by suzi – April 5, 2012 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Jimmy Smits coming aboard the next SAMCRO adventure, but when the hell is Zoebelle coming back for revenge? I thought I remember Sutter saying that Arkin was to return by this season.

Comment by Deeezy – April 5, 2012 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Arkin is returning as a director.

Comment by Morgan – April 5, 2012 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree…Arkin was one hell of a “big bad”. Still waiting for his return.

Comment by Pat D. – April 5, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smits was terrible on Dexter, but I think that was more a result of the way his character was written than a reflection of his acting ability. The role seemed to call for somebody to chew the scenery, and boy, did Jimmy-boy do that.

Comment by Pat D. – April 5, 2012 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to seeing Jimmy and Season 5 of SOA !!!!

Comment by Michaela – April 12, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post