American Idol Top 8 Results Recap: It's Just a Shame, That's All [Updated]

Jennnifer Lopez premiered a “music” video for her new instrumental single, “Dance Again,” on tonight’s American Idol Top 8 results telecast, and surely it’s a good lesson to the Season 11 finalists that with some digital blips ‘n bleeps, a shirtless fireplug of a backup dancer, and some high-quality sand in which to writhe, you too can have a Top 40 hit!

That’s good news for Idol‘s latest evictee and the seven surviving vocalists, all of whom have proved beyond a reasonable doubt that they don’t need no stinkin’ Auto-Tune for an average day on stage or in the studio.

American Idol: Advice (and Fantasy Set Lists!) for the Season 11 Top 9

That said, the evening wasn’t without its troubling moments. When Jimmy Iovine astutely pointed out that Phillip Phillips has played it safe with his song choice on Wednesday night and delivered his worst performance of the season, the Georgia guitar-slinger acted as if he was already beyond showing growth or development as an artist. “I’m just bein myself, dude,” he shrugged to Ryan Seacrest. “I’m not tryin’ to walk around the stage and touch people’s hands.”

American Idol Top 8 Performance-Night Recap: Barenaked ’80s

That’s all well and good, dude, but does “being yourself” mean singing off pitch and making faces like you’re suffering from acute appendicitis? Otherwise, maybe dial back on the smug-o-meter and acknowledge that if you’d already had everything figured out, you wouldn’t need a televised singing competition to get your music to the masses.

Okay, okay. End of rant. I mean, I don’t have a problem if the guy doesn’t want to wear a sequined Hilfiger jacket and cover Ke$ha’s “Blah Blah Blah,” but Jimmy’s advice — that Phillip needs to push himself musically if he wants to win — was exactly what he needed to hear. And if he really thinks “That’s All” was on par with “Hard to Handle” or “Movin’ Out,” then he needs to go back to the Idol Mansion, cue up the DVR, and give his Top 8 performance another listen.

American Idol Exclusive: Kris Allen Set to Perform on April 19 Results Show

Before we get to results, a few other thoughts on the telecast:

* Anyone notice Tommy Hilfiger relegated to the cheap seats with Season 3 finalist Matt Rogers? I suspect by the time the finale rolls around, he’s going to be stuck at the auditorium door pleading with a junior publicist, “But I don’t need a ticket! I’m the Season 11 style guru!”

* I kinda love that Ryan Seacrest, despite being possibly the busiest man in America, is still willing to play the role of full-service host/concierge/nurse, as evidenced by his message to light-headed, nauseous Joshua Ledet: “If you need anything, let me know!” (Cue Joshua ringing a little bell right before Keiran dims the lights: “Ryan, can you get me a warm ginger-ale and some Saltines?”

* If they’d given him an 866-number, I’d have immediately speed dialed for the kid in the far left of the front row in that video of Vietnamese schoolkids cheering on Joshua.

* I really hope Jimmy’s “Jessica needs bigger songs” critique wasn’t his subtle way of pushing her into an “all ballads, all the time” Thia Megia Ghetto. (Cue Jessica dominating the competition on a steady diet of Disney princess ballads from now till the end of May.)

* “Why are there five vocalists?” –my hubby, making a valid point midway through the Wanted’s performance of “Glad You Came” (Also, Sebastian on Glee sang it better, no?)

* Jimmy’s general disdain for DeAndre seems to be dispoportionate to whatever commercial shortcomings the kid might have at this moment in time, no? Maybe there’s a tiny bit of jealousy over DeAndre’s magnificent mane?

* Honestly, Elise might’ve been better off just agreeing with Jimmy that she’d experienced an “old-fashioned choke” rather than give a convoluted explanation that the more she feels a song, the harder it is for her to stay on pitch. Cute headband, though!

* Kellie Pickler was so solid tonight, I’m not ruling out downloading “Where’s Tammy Wynette?” Then again, I might just play the KLF’s “Justified and Ancient” instead.

And now, let’s talk results.

Sent Immediately to Safety (in Order of Announcement)
Joshua Ledet
Jessica Sanchez
Colton Dixon
Skylar Laine
Phillip Phillips

Bottom Three
Hollie Cavanagh
DeAndre Brackensick
Elise Testone

First One Sent Back to Safety
Hollie Cavanagh

Lowest Vote Getter
DeAndre Brackensick

Last-Chance Performance
DeAndre delivered a loose and funky encore of Stevie Wonder’s “Master Blaster,” which combined with his terrific Wednesday-night “I Like It,” proved he’s starting to figure out what to do with that hypnotizing voice of his. Give the kid a couple years for some emotional growth and increased confidence/stage presence, and you could be looking at Idol‘s next big “voted off too soon” success story. But ultimately, I’ve got to side with Steven and Randy who outvoted J.Lo and decided not to use the Judges’ Save.

And now, I turn things over to you.

Did the right person go home? Should the judges have saved DeAndre? And what did you think of Kellie Pickler’s latest performance? (I rather liked it!) Sound off in the comments, and for all my Idol news, interviews, and recaps, do follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Rick says:

It just goes to show you that people do not vote on each performance they vote for who they like. I did not like DeAndre at all and was pissed he outlasted Erika, Based on the Wednesday night performance P2, Hollie and Elise should have been bottom 3 with P2 going home and then being saved. He clearly sucked Wednesday and then to be so arrogant! I do agree that DeAndre was not worth saving and I think that they will save anyone but Hollie next week.

2. Larali says:

For 10 minutes and 30 seconds since the result show started, nothing relevant happened… it is becoming increasingly harder to watch the whole show! I don’t think Deandre would have won but i don’t think he was the one that deserved to leave this week. Hollie has missed the mark the most out of all the contestants left. PP should have been at the bottom 3 with Hollie and Elise. I know i am going to hate it if PP makes it to the final 3. I hope Elise wil have a huge come-back because she is the only worthy to win this show, although we know that’s not going to happen.

3. fran v says:

I really love Phillip, but he has to be willing to take notes. If David Cook hadn’t (and as far as I’m concerned he is the most talented and creative winner ever), David Archuleta would have been the one with confetti on his head.

4. Josh says:

So glad Hollie and Elise were safe as they are better than overrated Colton and Phillp they need to say screw Randy and Jealous Jlo what a bitch she was toward Elise tonight

5. Khs says:

I don’t think deandre was terrible, but it was definitely his time to go. Te rest of the remaining group is just too talented. I am SO thrilled there are still 4 girls in the top 7. I am so ready to see a female win this year. I am beyon impressed by Jessica, Elise and Skylar. This is the best top 7 Idol has seen in years. Regarding Phillip: Michael, I honestly found your “rant” a little much. I find Phillip refreshing. It seems so many people come on this show and do everything they can to win–and compromising their true selves in the process. Is he the most eloquent speaker out there? Hell no. But I found his honesty entertaining and surprisingly delightful. I think he needs to switch it up a bit though of he wants to get much further in the competition. I like his voice a lot. But I’d like to see him take a page out of Kris Allen’s book and rearrange a r&b number into a folky pop performance.

6. NedPepper says:

Idol annoyed the heck out of me tonight. I’m not even mad Deandre went home. The Wanted were lame. Jimmy was extra douchy and I’m officially over J-Lo. From her….music…video to her diva antics….blech. And we have just seen the moment the Idol producers turn on Phillip. You could see it JLo’s eyes. It’s now the Joshua, Jessica, Colton show. And that Final 3 doesn’t do much for me. I will say…good for Phillip. This show can be so pandering and gross. I’m glad he sticks up for himself.

• Marsaili says:

Ooohhh, I saw that look in J-Lo’s eyes—she was crossing him off her favorites list! I say good for him too. Just because someone comes on the show, doesn’t mean they HAVE to be part of the style hype and touchy-feely hype. The guy’s been sick–why would he want to touch a bunch of germy kids. PLUS he has a girlfriend, maybe he doesn’t want to play up the chicky game? This is a guy who is serious about his music. The experts have said he’s ready to make an album, so even if the judges do turn on him along with the fickle voters, he’s got a record contract, Jimmy’s ready with the pen and paper, he said he’d sign him today—well, today 3 weeks ago?

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Hey, that means that we won’t have a White Guy With a Guitar win the contest this year! Just a white guy with a piano. Baby steps.

• JC says:

Awww @Miscellaneopolan Yes maybe this is the year that a white guy with a guitar will lose. But People with actual talent won’t still win like Jessica, Skylar, Hollie, Joshua :) but I’ll take Colton over Phillip I hate his voice I feel like he has a phlegm problem :)

• NedPepper says:

Ugh, not Colton. Anyone but Colton. I mean that. I will accept anyone winning….except Colton.

• shelbybb says:

Got to jump in and agree with you NedPepper – please anyone but Colton! That would be just plain embarrassing to Idol fans! (I’m not a “hater” – that creates bad karma; but I just don’t think he’s unique or talented in any way.)

• Elaine says:

I loved Phillip in the beginning but that feeling is really starting to change (even without his self-aggrandizing bad attitude tonight). Like some of the others, he needs to show that he’s more than a one-trick pony. His songs are starting to run-together for me. Every song doesn’t have feel like we’re watching someone who’s head is going to explode. I want some mellow from this guy. And IMHO, people who stay true to themselves don’t have to tell you that’s what they’re doing. Nor do they have to tell you they’re an artist. Their work will speak for itself. This guy’s starting to seem pretty full of himself and not in a good way (judges? you helped to create that monster by telling him he was perfect every week).

• RedInDenver says:

I started thinking pretty early in the season that Phillip seemed to be impersonating Dave Matthews in every song he did. With all his talk of ‘just being himself’ — it seems quite odd that he doesn’t really HAVE his OWN style. I’m disgusted with the judges for calling someone who should be, AT BEST, in a cover band a ‘true artist’. And, at the same time criticizing another FEMALE who actually HAS a unique voice (Elise).

• CMC says:

couldn’t agree more-I love Dave Matthews, but am not a fan of Phillip who seems to be a “mini-me” of Dave’s.- From the facial expressions while singing, to the stance with the guitar-I feel like I’m at a DMB show when I watch him. It’s crazy for Steven Tyler to keep praising him for his originality when he’s an overrated clone. I hate to say it, but Colton isn’t much better. Joshua is the true talent for the boys but because he’s not the “white pretty boy” behind the guitar or piano, the 14 year old voters won’t get it and he’ll be voted off too soon.

7. darcy's evil twin says:

I haven’t watched the program yet but I did turn on the TV just in time to see Deandre sing for the save. I was pretty surprised to see him in the bottom three as he had a very good performance last night, IMO. I like him and hope he finds success.
    So now we’ve moved from disliking Jessica to disliking P2. Does every contestant get a turn, LOL?
    His performance last night was not good.

8. Troia says:

ugh can’t any of the stylists at Idol for Colton into some MEN’S clothes?

sooooo tired of seeing him in Chic jeans and a blouse with a scarf.

• darcy's evil twin says:

That’s funny because I’d thought about Colton’s clothes and how they reminded me of a Robert Townsend skit back in the 80s. Prince and Michael Jackson were police detectives – I think the skit was called “Rock Cops” (not to be confused with the musical cop show several years later). I remember their captain calling them into the office and telling Prince, “Go to the store and buy you some clothes – I’m tired of seeing you in your sister’s clothes”.

• Templar says:

The last time I saw legs like those they were holding up an ostrich. Now that I think about that stuff on his head ….. hmm?

9. Bobbi says:

Do people honestly think that out of all these young contestants only Jessica entered a freaking talent contest or honed her skills on stage before her audition? Any singer that was good enough to get past all those Hollywood, Vegas rounds did not just decide to show up at the audition that morning as a hoot. They all spent years performing as much as possible and guaranteed they entered talent contests. Look at Haley’s high school vids, look at Hollie’s home vids, think about all the stages Elise was on before she got into bars? How else is a minor supposed to get to places unless their parent accompanies them? It’s a double standard, you see Deandre and Hollie’s parents up there. You watch Joshua talking about how all he did back home was sing. Then you get Jessica who even said she just practiced in front of boxes most of the time alone in her room and people just zero in on her because she’s a possible front runner. She even has proof on youtube just practicing. I think all these kids worked hard and if most of the people who never got a Hollywood ticket worked half as hard as them, perhaps they’d be up there on stage every week.

• Erica says:

People want to nitpick on her because she is getting all the attention. Win or lose, she got what she needed — media mileage. I, too, have been defending Jessica from all these accusations that she was honed to be on AI and that she has pageant parents (totally unfair for her parent BTW). I have watched on her on YouTube and I have never seen her parents hovering over her. She wants to be a singer. She thinks AI is the way to go.

• Anna says:

Then you didn’t watch her and her parents when she was on AGT 6 years ago. They’ve been pushing her all of her life just as David A’s father did.

• HudsonRiverside says:

You don’t think ANY of these singers had parents who put their kids up in front of an audience to sing? That’s what many parents do and especially if they have rare talent like that. What do you suggest, they repress her talent and make her join cheerleading or gymnastics? Wait, that means taking the kids to practice and competitions. lol And I saw that footage, her father was deployed overseas due to the war, so she had something to do in his absence and he apparently wasn’t there PUSHING her.

• Erica says:

As I recall, her dad was abroad when she was on AGT. And why isn’t anyone commenting about Deandre or Shannon? Werent they minors too? Arent Skylar and Hollie young too? Were they never given singing lessons? Didnt Hollie have a YouTube page as well? Did that mean she was being pushed? People need to stop assuming anything about these people’s personal lives. Hate her song choices, her singing and her moves all you like but I think it is FOUL to judge parents based on the tiny little snippets we get from this show!

I am a parent too and I would be damned if someone told me I was pushing my daughter because I accompanied her to an audition.

• HudsonRiverside says:

lol, I think it helps Idol producers the most when people think that they can just show up with talent. Maybe they never got booed off stage or lose terribly in smaller venues. It’s how the show gets the train wrecks and horrible audition fights for every season. All these finalists have a certain poise they have built up only thru practice and being on stage hundreds of times. Elise, Colton and P2 obviously had lessons on how to play instruments and practiced tons before live audiences. This is the main ingredient we see pushed a lot during Hollywood and Vegas week for the most part, the mid range who actually had some talent get rattled, lose their poise and professionalism.

10. sam says:

You can’t waste a save on someone who is a wildcard, has been in the bottom 3 more than once and i’m sorry have you seen the amazing top 7???

11. Red in Denver says:

SO GLAD it wasn’t Elise at the bottom. I LOVE her unique voice. I doubt she’ll be around much longer though — she has 2 strikes against her:

1 — She’s a female
    2 — She’s over the age of 18
    3 — She doesn’t sing the ‘diva’ songs

Phillip keeps saying he just wants to be himself — THEN WHY DOES HE DO A DAVE MATTHEWS IMPERSONATION IN EACH OF HIS PERFORMANCES (the most recent one – BADLY)?

Glad Holly got to stay also. Deandre will be okay with a bit more seasoning. His NATURAL voice is great — he should cut down on the high-pitched falsetto — especially since his voice has so much vibratto. A little bit of that goes a long way.

• NedPepper says:

Maybe their body language is similar, but their voices…not really. P2 is a little more bluesy and gravelly. I get the comparisons, but the more I hear Phillip, the less I think “Dave Matthews.”

• Marsaili says:

I don’t get this Dave Matthews stuff—I hear Dave Matthews every single day on the radio and Phillip sounds NOTHING like him—at all. Dave’s voice is MUCH higher than Phillips and while he can be gravelly some of the time, most of the time he’s not. It’s just weird.

• 30CamdenSquare says:

I agree, P2 sounds more like Joe Cocker than Dave Mathews to me.

• Tarc says:

Agreed. He’s a couple scoops of blues and a heavy pinch of rock. DM is much more of a pop voice.

• 30CamdenSquare says:

The main thing I’d like to see Phil do is to sing at least part of a song in his natural voice. It’s fine is he wants to use his husky growl over part of the song, but when he uses it 100% of the time it becomes monotonous. Part of what makes a singer interesting is when they use different inflections over different parts of a song.

Also, I don’t think trying to purposely imitate anyone. At some point, he probably just discovered that the gravely voice thing worked for him. I think it’s limiting him though, since he feels the need to use it all of the time.

12. RD says:

What’s the point in using the save on someone who is most unlikely to win?.Deandre would not have been this year’s American Idol.Fact.Therefore it’s good he went home,good performance or not.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Eh, Casey was never going to win and they used the save on him. Deandre was interesting and had an old school R&B sound that the show doesn’t see much of. And because the top 8, minus maybe Hollie, was so strong, I think any of them had a shot at taking the crown. In that context, I think they might as well have used the save on someone that would at least add some flavor to the proceedings even if he wasn’t going to win.
      And as long as I’m re-writing history, I’ll say that my sincerest wish was that Deandre had waited a few years before auditioning again. Can you imagine what a 20-year-old Deandre, one that was fully aware of how to use his voice and take advantage of his looks, could have done on the Idol stage? He would have been unstoppable.

• marie says:

Someone else suggested he should have waited even longer, until he was 23 or 25. I guess these kids want to grab the moment while the show is still on the air; I believe it’s been renewed for next season (not totally sure), but it has to end some time and so if you want to audition you don’t know if there’s time to wait a few years.

• marie says:

Forgot to add, I agree that Deandre has a load of natural talent, a terrific voice – I’d love to hear what he sounds like in a few years.

13. jaxguy says:

Phil, in my opinion, knocked himself from the title, even though i don’t think he should win anyway. I said last week his faces look like he’s constipated. I like what Michael said.
    I’m not surprised they way tonight went, but I thought it might be Hollie or Elise instead of DeAndre.
    I’ll predict a Jessica, Joshua, Phil, Colton and Skylar top 5.

14. corey says:

all i have to say is that during deandre’s song at the end there was a brief flash of j.lo and i thought she looked so angry and stiff that her bun was about to pop off her head…but good decision not to save him. they made that mistake too early last year and a pia got eliminated.

15. Elena says:

In answer to your question Slezak, no. Sebastien did NOT sing it better unless you have a thing for autotune. On another note, I thought Deandre had a good farewell performance but I didn’t expect the judges to use the save. Was a bit sad to see him go though:(

16. blingedup says:

I have one question on my mind tonight — Does Jimmy Iovine have access to the voting results before he makes his astute critiques and predictions? I’m thinking that’s a strong possibility…..

17. First off, yes, Sebastian from Glee did sing that The Wanted song better than The Wanted. My brother and I both admitted that sentiment aloud during the performance. That’s beside the fact that I think that song is just plain awful. Utterly forgettable teen party dance music.

When Phillip performs and gets all scrawnchy (sp?) faced, I call it his “angry face”. He does it all the time and it really does bother me. Maybe he is still in pain like others have theorized, but if that’s his thing, I just don’t know how I could get past that if I ever saw him perform live or on TV post-Idol.

18. Lois Benton says:

Phillip should have gone. Everyone who’s not blinded by irrational crush knows that he was way off pitch. I was disappointed that jimmy gave him a “good self” rating instead of the “terrible self” he deserved. IObviously, as you note, Jimmy has some prejudices himself.

• Marsaili says:

Well, Jimmy has been pretty darn succesful over the years helping to forge amazing talents. I think the Guy knows what the heck he’s talking about here.

• Tarc says:

Yes, he had a couple phrases go off pitch in the song, but he completely slayed the duet a few minutes later. He’s been awesome so far, and has a large fan base. And even if he had been the bottom contestant, the judges would never have let him go. P2 might not win, but he’ll hot the Top 3.

• JC says:

Jimmy is harsh and sometimes he can be reckless with his opinions but he speaks the truth. Phillip is arrogant and self righteous we’ve seen his type (white men with guitar) win this thing for years now (David, Kris, Lee) to name a few. Where are those three now? Idol needs a superstar like Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood and those two are women!!! so its fitting for them to want a female win this thing!!! :)

• Marsaili says:

David Cook is huge, I hear him on the radio all the time. Kris just released a new album, I don’t hear his stuff, I listen to harder rock generally but he’s doing well. Lee is still around, I’ve been hearing that he’s in Nashville working on an album or something. His name is still out there. As for finding someone the level of Carrie and Kelly, Scotty has done it in the 4 short months since his album was released its gone platinum, he just won the CMA award for best new artist—that is HUGE!! If anything, he just may surpass Kelly and Carrie if his sales and popularity continue growing. He is clearly an Idol superstar.

• JC says:

Ok your delirious honey I don’t see David, Kris, Lee or Scotty breaking billboard records. Kelly Clarkson for example is doing that for 10 years now she is going strong with a new no.1 hit and Carrie is also doing well she is a country superstar. A woman needs to win this thing because women are dominating the charts ok? Lets see if Scotty will still be around look at David his first album went platinum but the second one flopped so hard :)

• Marsaili says:

Scotty IS breaking billboard records.

June 4th 2011
            Scotty McCreery doesn’t waste any time. A week after winning ‘American Idol,’ the singer’s first single, ‘I Love You This Big’ — which premiered at No. 32 on the Billboard Hot Country chart — is the highest-charting debut for a new artist since January 20, 1990, according to the publication.

October 12th, 2011
            “American Idol” winner Scotty McCreery makes history as his debut album, “Clear as Day,” bows at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart with 197,000 sold, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

McCreery is the first country act to debut at No. 1 with their first studio album, and at 18-years old, the youngest man to open at the top of the chart with their debut release.

“Clear as Day” also marks the biggest debut sales week of any “Idol” winner’s first album since 2008, when David Cook’s self-titled set started with 280,000 at No. 3. Kris Allen saw his eponymous 2009 debut launch with 80,000 (No. 11) and in 2010, Lee DeWyze’s “Live It Up” arrived with 39,000 (No. 19).

On Tuesday, Jan. 10, Scotty McCreery’s first album Clear As Day is officially certified as platinum, making it one of the highest selling American Idol debuts, with more than one million copies moved just three months after its release.

Nabbing the No. 1 spot on the Billboard Top 200 and Top Country Albums charts makes McCreery the youngest male in history to open at the top of the all-genre chart with a debut release. Clear As Day also garnered the highest sales of any country solo album released last year and held steady in the No. 1 spot on the Billboard Top Country Albums chart for six weeks.

In addition, he was named No. 1 on Billboard magazine’s list of Top New Country Artists for 2011. He also won New Artist of the Year at the American Country Awards in December.

You are delusional if you think he’s a one-trick pony.

• jaxguy says:

Marsalli
            If you check your numbers you will see that David Cook’s first week sales were way higher than Scottys. Also it was a slow week for sales if less than 200,000 got you to number one. Scotty should have had a great debut week because he apparently had a huge fan base.
            I NEVER LIKED HIS STYLE.
            He was ok, but just didn’t like his sound. It was just ok the first couple of times I heard him, but it just came across as “novelty” sounding after that. I probably would have been more amused if he was in a group when his voice was “featured.”
            He will probably do just fine on his next album too, but the reviews, which I know mean nothing to most people, were not too good.

• Marsaili says:

Jax, Yeah, DC’s first week sales were higher—but actually, Rubens were the highest out of ALL the Idols since the beginning of the show.

Idol-winner debuts

2011: Scotty McCreery, Clear as Day (197,000)
            2010: Lee DeWyze, Live It Up (39,000)
            2009: Kris Allen, Kris Allen (80,000)
            2008: David Cook, David Cook (280,000)
            2007: Jordin Sparks, Jordin Sparks (119,000)
            2006: Taylor Hicks, Taylor Hicks (298,000)
            2005: Carrie Underwood, Some Hearts (315,000)
            2004: Fantasia, Free Yourself (240,000)
            2003: Ruben Studdard, Soulful (417,000)
            2002: Kelly Clarkson, Thankful (297,000)

• JC says:

Scotty has a successful DEBUT album I know that but the question is can he last for 10 years like Kelly and Carrie. Can he still be relevant? he still has a lot to prove but based on the atmosphere of the music industry today WOMEN are dominating (Adele, Gaga, Beyonce, Rihanna, Kelly, Katy) see my point? that is why they need a women to win this year and I hope they do :)

• Erica says:

I want a woman to win this year. Argh, I am desperate.

• Erica says:

I dont hear David Cook all the time on the radio and I am a fan. He is good though but not nearly as successful as I hoped he would be.

19. Elaine says:

Phillip Phillips – not impressed with that attitude of yours … you haven’t earned those diva stripes yet mister.

Right person went home. Deandre is the future. Hollie likely next week unless she really pulls it out. After that, it’s going to be very painful to see the eliminations every week.

20. Elaine says:

And I must say, Jimmy has become the new Simon IMHO and that’s a good thing. He’s been almost spot on every time with his assessments and opinions on who is going home. Not perfect, but damn near. I wasn’t at all impressed with him last year, but I definitely am this year. Good on ya Jimmy.

21. Nikolas says:

Look I know he’s Mr. Smuggy McGee, but isn’t it time we give Jimmy Iovine some credit? For weeks now Real Time with Jimmy has featured fearless and accurate criticism of the performers. Hell he said everything Michael Slezak said this week! Get that man behind the judges table.

After all, one honest tool is better than three cacophonous blowhards.

22. Justin says:

Many of the comments here show the problem with Idol. Everyone was eager to jump all over Elise and label her a bitch for not being all huggy and looking disappointed about being at the bottom. Not many defended her. Now that Phillip is being questioned for his comments, a barrage of female viewers suddenly come crawling out of the woodwork to jump to his defense. Hilarious!

• Marsaili says:

Sorry dude, Elise and Phillip are my favs and I have defended both. Most people who like one generally likes the other—I’ve seen plenty of Elise love here and she generally make it to the top spot or just below in Michael’s polls.

• Erica says:

I agree. I don*t even like Elise but the comments about her facial expressions are beyond me. She does not want to fake happiness while being criticized and being in the bottom 3. Why are people so hard on her

23. Carolynn says:

I really do enjoy jlo but am so shocked by her “other” side. It just doesn’t fit with her sweet American idol persona. Her video was totally inappropriate. I was thankful to have recorded it so we could skip over it. My kids were so embarrassed. Please jlo, where does this need come from to express such private desires publically? You are so beautiful, believe that and maybe you won’t need to flaunt yourself. Safe that for the bedroom, it just cheapens the whole thing.

24. Sue says:

First of all, it’s The Wanted, with a capital T. Second, the guy on Glee did NOT sing it better. Finally, there are five singers because they actually have more than just this one song. It’s called harmonizing and taking turns really singing, instead of letting auto-tune make one guy sound half-way decent (Glee guy) Try listening to both of their full albums before you judge them, Slezak.

25. ladyhelix says:

It’s her own fault (DeAndre). Doesn’t Jennifer realize we don’t like being told who to vote for, and who needs special consideration? Isn’t this the same thing that happened to James Durbin last season – and Danny Goke season 7?
    As hard as it is to get kicked around by the judges – I think it’s more perilous to be the teachers pet. Overhype is such a turn off.

26. Erica says:

My problem with this show is that it seems that the girls are all being pushed harder — singe big songs, sing upbeat, change your style, etc. While the guys, (Hello, Joshua) are applauded for doing the same tricks. Ugh.

Double standards suck.

27. C says:

I don’t think you can keep giving P2 a pass because of his kidney problems. When you have “surgery” even for extremely bad kidney stones, it doesn’t involve an incision. It’s done by ultrasound. There’s some soreness for a few days afterwards, but it’s not at all debilitating, nor does it last for weeks. And I know from repeated experiences in my family with kidney stones, they don’t linger. Once they’re gone, they’re gone and there’s very little if any discomfort. So, his reluctance to bend down and touch hands shouldn’t have anything to do with his earlier health problems. I still think it’s a dumb thing to do, but apparently a lot of people require it of a performance.
    Now that that’s all cleared up, what is next week’s theme?

• Marsaili says:

Phiilip has a chronic health problems that he has had his entire life—I’m not sure what it is exactly, but his parents mentioned something earlier. His kidney issues go much deeper than simple stones removed.

Now that THAT’S been all cleared up, back to the regular “let’s kick Phil around some more because he doesn’t want to touch people’s hands”

28. fullyCOOKed says:

P2 “pushing” himself is the reason that last song went so bad. He needs to relax, get his groove back, pick better songs, and stop going for notes he cant hit and doesnt have the breath control to carry off. If he does that, he could win this thing.

29. RD says:

It’s called naivety.There’s nothing wrong with an unseasoned performer being somewhat altruistic about their ‘art’ but unfortunately that’s really not what AI is about,and Phillip doesn’t seem to want to take constructive criticism and learn from the incredibly fortunate situation he is now in. It may be that this is all Jimmy Iovine’s fault,since he early on announced that he would ‘sign him up tomorrow’.

30. ET says:

Deandre had absolutely zero chance to win this thing, but Hollie is the one who should’ve gone home last night; she has just been consistently BAD.

• Cup of Joe says:

Not so much consistently bad as much as losing her footing during the past couple of weeks. She’s recording artist-ready, I’ll give her that. Just not loving the “Hollie meet bus” and the “pick Hollie or Jessica” segments of the show. Asinine!

31. llws says:

Elise, Phillip and Colton (because I can’t stand his nasely voice) all should have gone home before DeAndre SMH I dont know who they are planning on using the save on, or who they think will be in trouble because Jessica, Joshua and Colton won’t be going anytime soon. If Hollie doesn’t step up next week she’ll be in big trouble for sure. Either way Elise needs to give me a break about getting too emotional about a song and falling off pitch and saying that it’s more acceptable for a “musician” than it is for “competition”. It’s like SHUT UP…..no one wants to go to your concert hearing you sing under the pitch all the time…or at an award show hearing you sing under pitch. You’ll be bashed for either one. To me her voice is sub-par and shes been sub par all season long…she needs to go home. Vocally, Elise, Colton and Phillip are the weakest links.

• Marsaili says:

I’d go to her concert today. And Phillip’s. Colton—I’m not sure he’s my cup of tea, but my teen aged boys think he’s cool. There is NOTHING sub-par about Elise. Sorry you can’t see that.

32. Laura says:

As I’ve mentioned before, I thought DeAndre’s exit was a couple of weeks late, so I was totally okay with the judges not using their save. I hope next week’s genre/time period will showcase some of these voices better — I’m ready for a standout!

33. mary says:

i think voters did the right choice. and the judges as well.. i mean yes he can sing.. but hes just not good enough compared to the others that are in the competition now.. the competitions getting very tough now..so its time for him to leave..i hope next will be skylar..n then i cant make up my mind who to go!

34. marie says:

Michael, I agree that it would have been better had Elise simply replied on the order of, “Yes, that wasn’t my best performance, I’ll try harder next week,” and left it at that. Standing there looking crestfallen has also seemed to have worked against her as some have branded her as having a “stank face” because of it. But I suspect that in the moment, she simply panicked and instinctively babbled out the first thing that came to mind to defend herself. It happens – I know, I’ve done it myself; it comes from insecurity, and hey, don’t we all have at least some of that from time to time?
    As for looking upset and sad – well, that’s only natural; not everyone can stand there and smile while they’re in danger of being eliminated. That’s not “stank face,” that’s more panic: “Am I going home?” Why SHOULDN’T she look upset?
    I’m just glad she is safe. She seems like a smart cookie; she’ll probably pull another magic trick like “Vienna” or “Whole Lotta Love” out of her hat next week and floor everyone all over (Jennifer can go eat her hat, who cares what SHE thinks!).

• NedPepper says:

She actually turned to Phillip and said, “Please start talking so I don’t have to.” Ryan asked her a question in a tense situation, and she did what many of us do…she started to ramble. Same can be said with Phillip. How do you respond when you’re standing there in the middle of the stage with millions watching after being verbally castrated by Jimmy Iovine? It’s one thing for Jimmy to do it one on one without the cameras on…(I imagine he gives tough love to a lot of performers)…but to be thrown under the bus in the spotlight like that? It’s probably how anyone on here would react. It’s human.

35. Paul says:

I didn’t get Deandre – his stepping into falsetto was annoying at times – just as I get annoyed when Joshua puts in his gratutious screams.

For the IDOL historians out there, when was the last time the women were the majority of the top 7?

Perhaps I just have a short memory

• Joy says:

Season 7 — Kristy Lee Cook, Carly Smithson, Brooke White, and Syesha Mercado all made the top 7. But then three of the women were eliminated in the next three weeks, and Syesha went home at third, so we wound up with an all-guy top two (the Davids). Right now, the only remaining contestants who’ve ever been in the overall bottom three are women, so it’s possible they’ll all drop before another guy goes (unlike last season, when two women made the top 3 for the first time since season 6), but I’m guessing Jessica will still hold out until the finals.

36. RJ says:

After all these years with AI and the other competition shows, I think we need to look for those unique, not just a technically proficient singer with no defininitive likability. Phillip to me this year is that, yes, similar to Dave Matthews et al.. but still his own man. Having said that, I am getting concerned about his attitude… I appreciate his firm sense of identity and focus on his music, but as MA stated, you can hear constructive criticism about your craft and technique without compromising on your ideals… Phillip, it makes you look cocky and arrogant and above it all.. not a good look if you want to win more voters over! I hope we never see u in a pink tux and polka-dot shirt, but hey, be a big man and listen to those who can offer you some good advice! Go Phillip!

37. Sam says:

Phillip posted this on his facebook page. “thank you to everyone who supports me and voted this week! i appreciate it very much…i heard that some people took my comment the wrong way but i thought jimmy said if i dont move around i would get passed and all i was meaning that im not the artist who runs around stage touching peoples hands and sings to them, thats just not me so im sorry to who ever my have taken it the wrong way bc i wouldnt even be here without you guys voting haha thank you again!”

I read in an interview once that he says he knows he is one of the worst singers left on the show, so i think he doesn’t think he will be here much longer and doesn’t think he has a shot at winning so he wants to do what he wants for his time left. I didn’t agree on what he said last night, but i dont think it is as bad as everyone is saying. AND i don’t think he was dissing kellie pickler for touching hands, i think he was just saying that is not the kind of performer he is, but it isn’t bad either.

38. J. May says:

Someone has pointed this out already, probably, but the song that accompanied the montage at the beginning of the show was “Shout” by Tears for Fears. Ironically, this was, IMO, a better song choice than most of the songs the contestants “chose” last night.

39. idolmama says:

I am just going to have to post several comments. I have liked many of P2’s performances but am beginning to tire of him. I have to agree with Michael. He really seems to be pushing too hard. And there are times I feel that he is just screaming into the microphone. Maybe that is his way of showing how much he “feels” his music. This week his comments did seem rather arrogant.

However, I too have been metioning that I am tired of watching the contestants bend over to shake hands with the crowd. It really detracts from the performance. Yes, you want to “thank” your fans but it seems like it is scripted to me.

I really like Elise but this week was not her best. I really wish they would post the list of songs that the contestants get to choose from. They are always complaining about how hard it is to find a song. Really? From an entire decade you can only find one song you like? Perhaps …..if you are only given a list of 20 songs from which to choose. Can anyone tell us just how many songs are on the list. I am also continually amazed at how ignorant the younger contestants are about music history. If you want to be in the business you need to know songs from all genres and decades not just the autotuned talk singing that seems to be popular today. Granted that there are good and bad songs/singing in every decade. But really one of them did mention during Hollywood week that they had never heard a Beatles song. How can you be an artist and not know songs by a group that really influenced rock music? Michael I would love to hear your opinions on this topic.

• marie says:

I don’t know. Seems reasonable to me that most kids wouldn’t be very knowledgeable about music from before they were born – why would they even be interested? Except for the very most serious of musicians, where would they even have the time to study up on what is essentially their parents’ and grandparents’ music?

• Marsaili says:

Marie, I grew up listening to my mom’s music, and my kids grew up listening to mine and their dad’s which included the stuff we grew up with—I guess it just all depends on how important a role music plays in one’s life. We have ALWAYS been a musical family, I play multiple instruments as does my brother as do some of my kids. Part of learning to play guitar is learning ROCK AND ROLL, because honestly, how can you play Metallica as my son does without having some old school Zeppelin and Sabbath and other stuff thrown in there. Just last night I was teaching him Beatles songs (honestly, in the last year he as so surpassed me, he probably could have re-taught ME that Beatles song, I’ll bet he was just indulging me.) Yes, he could have learned Metallica without that old stuff, but he WANTS to know where rock comes from, and he goes back on his own to learn blues and old style rock and roll. Now someone like Jessica who is just a singer—maybe she wouldn’t be so knowledgeable about older stuff because she just sings newer stuff to her boxes—but I’ll bet most kids who are musicians and play instruments do.

• Joy says:

Well, we know not all of these kids come from musical families — from what Hollie’s parents said in their interview several weeks ago, it sounds like they wouldn’t have had a lot of records lying around for her to listen to. Add in the variation in regional/cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds among the contestants (plus the almost total absence of arts education from a lot of schools), and I wouldn’t be surprised if some haven’t even had enough exposure to have a clear sense of who the giants are outside of their own niche, or the cash lying around to go out and buy the music that they can’t find on their own local radio stations… With more and more access to the Internet, this stuff all gets *way* easier for today’s kids, but I think Idol still draws lots of contestants from demographics that can’t count on finding Internet-connected computers and gadgets everywhere around them (e.g., poorer urban and more remote rural communities). So especially with the younger contestants, I worry less about what they’ve been exposed to before the show, than about how they engage with what’s offered to them once they get there.

40. VinoMom says:

I don’t understand being critical of contestants for being disappointed when they are in the bottom 3 either. It’s a contest. Everyone up there wants to win. And when harsh, and sometimes unfair, criticism gets hurled your way it must be hard to smile. Last year Haley managed to keep her sense of humor but even she got pissed off eventually. They are humans and the “judging” continues to be infuriating.

41. James says:

Glad America got it right for once…and even more glad Randy and Steven weren’t morons and tried to save Deandre like that floozy J-lo!

42. marie says:

Oh, and as far as I’m concerned, Tommy Hilfiger can STAY in the cheap seats – or not show up at all! Seems he’s no longer being showcased – what was THAT all about, anyway? On one show, we saw a brief clip of some AI-branded line clothing being promoted (I didn’t pay much attention); was THAT the whole reason for his being on the show in the first place? In any case, he added nothing at all of value to the show.

43. connerc says:

So, Mr. Slezak, are you first now realizing Phillip makes faces like he’s suffering from acute appendicitis? He’s been doing that since the first note of his audition. I just find it funny that they keep pushing contestants to define what kind of artist they are, but Phillip, who knows exactly what kind of artist he is, now is being criticized for it and is being forced to defend himself. And when he defends himself, he’s a jerk. Please.

• Cup of Joe says:

Being yourself is fine. Not showing any interest to improve your musical skills, however, is NOT fine.

44. Susan says:

So, once again about the dreaded P2 issue: What I didn’t like wasn’t so much what he said but that he said it. If anything it showed a lack of understanding and paying attention to the special situation he is in which probably comes with being a little too self-absorbed. I think these kids learn early on that what you say on TV has to be very, very carefully considered. You have to be alert. Most of you probably remember David Cook whom Simon had called arrogant, smug etc. Ryan asked David: “How do you comment on that”, and his answer was: “I don’t”. Clever boy! Or he made a joke about it, wondering with how many other expressions Simon could come up with saying the same thing.
    In my opinion David also showed how you can grow and still stay true to yourself – probably more than anyone on the show so far. Of course he had the voice and the musical chops to pull of something like “Music of the Night” or “First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” or “Billy Jean” and, and, and…. I’m not sure that Phillip could do that. I find his voice a bit one dimensional. So no, he’s no David Cook and no Dave Matthews either in my lowly opinion. But to make long matters short, I’m sure he didn’t mean any harm, he just wasn’t thinking – and that may cost him.
    In the same vein, I didn’t like Colton going on and on about his religious devotion… restraint is the name of the game, I think. Express your feelings in your songs, “leave it on the stage” – that’s where you pull people in. No explanations needed.

• connerc says:

I agree his vocal range is limited. But, within that range, he can do excellent things. He may have thought by changing things up, his critics meant dancing around the stage, grabbing hands and laying on a piano. But, they may have been talking about simply tweaking things. Why not have him take a stool or chair and his guitar, place them down with the audience, sit there and sing a quieter rock ballad? It’s worked for lesser talents than his.

45. Jessica says:

I didn’t like Phillip’s comment at all. It’s not old news that he wants to do what he wants. It’s gotten worse though. Almost like he doesn’t even want fans. That’s going to be your paycheck buddy and you’ll get paid to do what you love-quit with the chip on your shoulder and enjoy the ride/experience. He just ruined it for himself. He was my favorite so it’s real disappointing. i see him gone in 2 weeks. I see Hollie gone next week. Singing isn’t up to par, people will vote for Jessica over her-she went downhill. She also seemed so weird last night. In front of camera you have to know how to present yourself. Do you really think Ryan cares? No It’s a business-learn how to act/speak and present yourself in front of the camera. If you want a career in this you gotta give a little and study what other people do. Oh and don’t look to Jennifer Lopez and her “it’s all about bringing me to a place in my mind” giving me goosies” “I really connected with that” what sex and playing with glitter half nude video on a show kids watch? How inspiring!

• Marsaili says:

OMG people, talk about taking a comment out of context and then judging someone on YOUR mis-interpretation of their comment:

• Corky says:

P2 and Lee D are 2 cut from the same cloth. Dumb as stumps, both of them.

• Jessica says:

Posting on FB is one thing -that’s just words probably after going back watching it or being told how he’s coming off. To me he pretty much blew off the competition and every moment to showcase who he is has to stand out for someone in the business to say “I want to work with this guy”. Yes there is a “I have to stay true to myself” but he’s coming across almost as in a “butt out-I’m just doing my thing” Sad but true. Listen to what someone fully says and then speak or how about a simple “I’ll keep that in mind” or “I’ll have to process it, watch the performance back and see where I can improve”? A few of the contestants besides Phillip should do this.

• Marsaili says:

I completely disagree with you—I didn’t see that “attitude” at all. Of course, people are accusing Elise of having an attitude, and last year people were all over Haley for her supposed attitude so I guess this is just par for the course.
          Personally, I think Phillip doesn’t react quickly, he’s the kind of guy that has to think of things before saying anything—and there is no time for that on a live tv show. Even Elise rambled on and on when Ryan asked her a question (of course, people accused her of making excuses or having a had attitude) People are gonna hear what they want to hear–whether it’s true or not. I don’t think Phil meant anything by what he said last night except—running around the stage, touching people’s hands—that’s not me. He said NOTHING against Jimmy’s advice, I honestly don’t think he really heard it. I’ve never seen him be arrogant or disrespectful or anything—he’s just a guy who wants to play his guitar and sing. He doesn’t want to dress colorfully like a bird, he doesn’t want to dance around the stage and grope the audience, he just wants to stand there and sing—-just like he’s done since the day he auditioned.

• Jessica says:

I’ll agree to disagree. I didn’t like how he was coming off week prior. I don’t have anything against Elise and disappointment or an expression. I didn’t think Haley had an attitude-she put up with a lot before she said something. Lil Rounds I remember made me feel 1x that she was in the wrong. I saw it with Phillip as a shrug of shoulders of I will do what I want. Even Jennifer gave a look. Hope he works it out or not. It’s his choice.

• Erica says:

Hahaha. He should not have apologized. Now he just sounded a bit, um, stupid. I personally thought the comment issue was blown way out of proportion. He probably was in shock with the feedback (I know I would be) so he blurted out something.But this Facebook posting was no redemption. It made him sound clueless. Just a note to Philip, even the biggest of rock stars have to shake people’s hands on stage and They even had the mosh pit going for a while (I am old!). Showmanship counts on and off the AI stage. If he is indeed sick like some people say I hope he decided to put his health over AI.

46. AI Fan says:

I do think they should have used the save for DeAndre. There aren’t any other contestants with that vocal style who want to target that specific genre of music. Colton wants to do Christian Rock, Joshua wants to target Gospel R&B, Jessica wants to do POP/Soul, Phillip wants to do Alternative Rhythm Rock, Elise wants to target Jazz Classic Rock and Skylar Honky Tonk Country. What can I say other than I like diversity and the music book.

I feel it was Hollie’s time to go because while she has a great range and tone, she is so technically driven and stiff. She does not know how to ‘perform’ for this kind of stage yet because she can not loose control and its the way she was taught. I know she’ll mature and settle in more with success with time, but it won’t be in time to save her for this competition. None of this has come to her naturally and it shows.

The reality is when/if they use the save it doesn’t guarantee that the person will win. So think about that and then think again about when that will happen. As long as their top 5 stay in the top 5 they are good to go. It will be based on one rotating out or a pity save.

I wish them all the best of luck because they are all talented.

47. Jessica says:

Deandre I think could of gotten votes if he went back to that style of Master Blaster. I’m sure he could of found something in the 80’s. The thought I had as he sang it last night. No, they should of not used the save on him.

• CMC says:

“Fantasty” by Earth, Wind and Fire would have been the perfect song for Deandre, but I think that came out in the late 70’s.

48. junebug says:

I felt so bad for Deandre’s sister. It was so sweet that he was talking to her from the stage. Must be lots of love between those two. I’m glad he won’t be under the control of 19 when he releases his record. It’s gonna be amazing. Jimmy’s remarks last night were way off the mark. There’s no way he doesn’t know the results before they announce them on the show.

49. swedeg says:

Including the next two weeks, these results don’t affect the end game.

Deandre wasn’t going to win. Hollie is not going to win (and she probably knows it). And sorry, but Elise isn’t going to win either. It doesn’t matter which one went this week, it’s just obvious that those 3 weren’t going to win, and they could all go.

However, after that, it gets damn hard. Any of the rest could win.

Jessica is probably the most talented and if she develops any sort of a fun personality, she wins.
    Colton and Phillip are guys, last time I checked anyway, and little girls keep cute guys around, so they could win.

Skylar sings country, which can get you far. Based on “Wind Beneath My Wings,” she could easily go all the way to the end.

And Joshua, who might be the most interesting artist could win, but given that he sings in a style that just doesn’t make it on the radio, and given that America could grow tired of his act because he seems less able to switch it up.

• Jessica says:

I agree with all of it. Right now I can see Jessica winning it especially if like you mentioned develops any sort of fun personality.

50. Joe Strummer says:

Since Jimmy’s in the audience on results night every week why don’t they just ask him what he thinks of each contestant instead of doing this pre-recorded crap. It seems like an easy way out for him.

• C says:

I agree. He should have to make his comments face to face, in person, since he says some really harsh things. It must be terribly humiliating to have to stand on that stage in front of a huge audience while some larger than life image tells you everything that is wrong with you.