Report: Kristen Wiig, Andy Samberg and Jason Sudeikis Out at SNL – Who Would You Miss Most?

Is Saturday Night Live facing a mass exodus?

US Weekly is reporting that Kristen Wiig, Andy Samberg and Jason Sudeikis will depart NBC’s late-night institution at season’s end.

An SNLrep, however, tells TVLine, “No decisions have been made and won’t be until the end of the summer.”

The news comes a week after our sister site, Deadline, broke the news that SNL is looking to add a new female regular, possibly to fill the void left by Wiig. One of the frontrunners for the spot, Big Gay Sketch Show alum Kate McKinnon, will get a tryout on this weekend’s show hosted by Sofia Vergara.

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: News

1. Kat says:

Thank goodness Kirsten Wiig is out. Haven’t been able to watch SNL since she’s been in 99% of the skits.

• sandra says:

Exactly! Maybe we will be able to watch the show again now that she is leaving! I don’t get how anyone thinks she is funny…

• wendeeloo says:

Oh thank you! So happy to read that people feel as I do – So tired of Wiig’s brand of humor. She is only occasionally funny – Like the Housewives of Disney – But those overly-weird – large forehead, baby arms-style characters – that take one idea and repeat it ad nauseum – till it’s even less funny than it was – The show hasn’t been consistently funny for a long time but she has been my least favorite component.

• I keep trying to figure out how someone can write something as funny as “Bridesmaids” apparently was (have yet to see it), & yet be so NOT funny themselves on-camera!

Would miss Andy, & that’s ALL!!!

• KevyB says:

Not that Bridesmaids was as absolutely hilarious as so many claim… it was certainly better than the Hangover movies but it was no There’s Something about Mary or Holy Grail… but it was certainly better than she is on SNL. The reason? Because Bridesmaids required actual characters where everything she does on SNL requires over-the-top caricatures. Nobody she does on that show is the slightest bit realistic, including her impersonations, but the Bridesmaids people mostly were.

• R says:

EXCUSE ME! Kristen Wiig Not Funny?? hahahahahahahah! seriously??
      She’s Hilarious!! Remember the recent Maya Rudolf episode with Beyonce skit… Kristen didnt even utter a word and i was ROFL at just her expression!!
      besides, Bridesmaid?? Reason enough!

• Nichole says:

Kristen does have her good moments. Her Taylor Swift in the sketch you mentioned is definitely one of them. Her Kathy Lee is dead on. But she is so over used. She is in every sketch and generally ruins them. She is extremely hit and miss, usually going for the miss. Personally, I will miss Andy Samberg the most. He is my favorite current cast member. I hope they use this opportunity to make Vanessa Bayer a full-fledged cast member instead of just a featured player.

• Killian says:

Thank you for this. She is one of the best…arguably number 1 or 2…that has ever come through SNL and I have been crying forever that she is leaving.

• Just sayin says:

Kristen Wiig is funny but no way is she 1st or 2nd most talented person to come out of SNL. If I’m making a list like that I don’t think she even makes the top 20.

• Parker says:

Wow, if u honestly think she’ s that good, your sense of humor is waaaaay off. I bet u like thought Jack and Jill was funny as well

• Kristenwiiglover says:

Omfg Kristen is like the best! I don’t know how people are saying she isn’t funny. Obviously people don’t have a good sense of humor! I love you Kristen, Andy, and Jason and always will!

• Brandon says:

Speak for yourself. I love everything she does and am so sad to hear this news. One of my top 4 cast members of all time.

• Jon Smoth says:

No great loss with either Wiig or Sudeikis leaving the show. Wiig is significantly overrated and now can go write the final successful movie script of her career. After that, she can continue down the path of attempting to be Tina Fey without ever succeeding. Sudeikis will, forever, live in the shadow of his more successful sister.

Tremendous loss with Samburg’s departure.

• Jules says:

Guess I’m outta the loop… Who is his sister?

• tripoli says:

Wow, you are so off base. Let me guess, you’re one of those people who think Taran Killam is funny. Interesting that any successful female from SNL who came up after Tina Fey is somehow trying to be her. Pretty sure Kristen is doing just fine on her own. That Oscar nomination must feel mighty nice.

• andrew o says:

Samberg is the least funniest. He does one funny short every 3 months.

Wiig and Sudeikis will be missed.

• Anna says:

Here’s hoping Andy Samberg get on board with Parks & Rec and brings his loud mouth park ranger character back to my tv screen. That is possibly one of my favorite eps of P & R because he was SO funny.

• kel says:

The only reason why she’s out is because she’s an Academy Award nominee now and too good to be bogged down by a regular tv role….give her 10 years and she’ll be back doing tv. but for now, let her do her thing

• Stephen Taylor says:

You all suck big time. Kristen Wiig is the Best!!

• andrew o says:

Wiig is the best on the show. Hands down.

I have no clue who these bloggers are, but they obviously have no clue what they’re talking about.

• johnevegas says:

Agreed! Wiig has to me one of the most annoying cast members in years. It seems like she has 10 characters and 8 of them are just a variation of the same one. She might be good for a minor grin from time to time but mostly just annoying. Will Ferrell and Jim Carrey I also can find annoying but they are FUNNY. She is very rarely slightly funny while just being annoying and seemingly loved by the show

• andrew o says:

Wow… whoever wrote this has no clue what humor is. Kristen Wiig carried that show for a season.

She is an extremely talented comedian. I will miss her and Jason tremendously.

• fred says:

really?!? shes is the funniest female on snl in a long time, since the tina and amy left. do u even have a since of humor?

2. joaopedromillan says:

can’t believe Jason and Kristen are leaving. I will miss them a lot. Andy not so much.

I gess Taran Killam will replace Jason in the spot light in the main cast.

3. Gus says:

What??? That’s terrible! I love Jason, and Kristen and Andy are my favorite cast members! :( I don’t think I’ll be watching the show next season, I really don’t care for a lot of the rest of the cast…

• Aude says:

Same here ! I’m still in shock about this ! I was thinking it might an other April fool prank or something but no!

• DL says:

Really? No love for Bill Hader? He’s the SNL MVP in my book. Kristen, Jason, and Andy will definitely be missed though. Every episode of SNL I hope for a new Lonely Island Digital Short from Andy or one of Kristen’s great characters, and Jason just holds down the fort in everything he’s in, plus his crazy dancing in “What’s Up With That?” is amazing and hilarious every single time.

4. Jacob says:

Samberg, but only because his Digital Shorts with his Lonely Island friends have been the high point of many a dreary episode.

• Princess Adora says:

I love the Digital Shorts (Laser Cats!!), that’s why I voted him. Maybe he’ll make them for the web??? *fingers crossed*

• Jopan says:

Andy’s digital shorts are the only reason why I look forward to SNL every week. Kristen Wiig — I am SO OVER her! It’s about time she got the ax at SNL — I don’t think she’s funny. She just keeps repeating the same character over and over.

5. Pia says:

No idea why, but Jason Sudeikis has always rubbed me the wrong way. I don’t care for Kristen Wiig much either.

• Mark says:

Agreed on Jason. Not a fan. I always cringe when I see his name attached to movies I want to see. I find him a lot more annoying than funny.

6. Josh says:

Wow they just lost the only three funny cast members left…Trouble is brewing in SNL. (PS: Taran Killam is Featured, so I’m not counting him…but at least he’ll get bumped, so there is one funny person still remaining!)

Maybe they’ll actually cast an African American female…That way we don’t have to keep seeing Keenan Thompson in drag(doing bad impressions)

7. Teag says:

Kristen Wiig will do good leaving SNL.

• Jacob says:

Yes she will. Same with Sudeikis. Samberg? Not so much.

• Lena120 says:

I get the Rob Schneider – David Spade vibe from Samberg. It’s like, he’ll be around, but won’t reach the same level of success as the others.

• Jamie says:

I get that vibe too. I feel his only major talent or claim to fame is his ‘Lonely Island’ videos. Everything else he does is so bleh. Even his Nicolas Cage impression is just… not even close.

I’ll only miss Kristen, but it’s better that she goes on to a movie career. Sudeikis is just as meh as Samberg. Everytime his name is on the poster it makes me 75% certain that it’s going to be awful, e.g. The Rocker, Semi-Pro, The Bounty Hunter. It used to be 100% but I actually enjoyed Horrible Bosses.

• Phil says:

Except the fact he is far wealthier than either of them due to his comedy troupe.

8. Tori says:

Jason Sudeikis has always been my favorite sense he debuted. Wiig gets on my nerves with everything she does. I wonder who will take over Digital Shorts now that Samberg is leaving.

9. Jay says:

Since when did TVLine start considering US Weekly a source?

10. Lena120 says:

To be honest, Bill Hader needs to bust a move too.

11. Tami says:

I’ll just miss Jason Sudeikis. Andy Samberg hasn’t done anything remotely funny this season and Kristen Wiig’s characters are annoying. Though if Bill Hader leaves, I’ll probably cry.

• Deena says:

My thoughts EXACTLY. I cringe when I see it’s a Wiig skit and Samberg just adds nothing with the exception of his Nick Cage impression which for some reason I just find hilarious. But that could be just me.

12. English says:

I finally just got used to Tina and Amy being gone and now Jason and Kristen and Andy are leaving. I hope the remaining cast steps up its game.

13. kevin says:

I’ll miss Kristen Wiig the most if she leaves SNL after the end of the season. Of course, why not add more female players into the mix when Season 38 begins. Hope Abby Elliott stays on the show if her new sitcom pilot doesn’t get pick up as a series ’cause she’s one of my faves.

14. Carmichael says:

Wiig will be a big loss, Sudeikis can be ok sometimes and grating others. Samberg I never really cared a ton for

15. nusskyle@yahoo.com says:

Very glad to hear Wig is leaving, I believe she is so much better in movies then on SNL. I will miss Samberg and Sudeikis though.

16. Liz says:

I’ll miss Jason Sudekis and Andy Samberg. Kristen Wiig, not so much. She’s part of the reason I hardly ever watch the show anymore.

17. ggny says:

no more SNL for me

18. shontay07108 says:

Samberg will be fine without SNL. The Lonely Island does solid, funny stuff. Plus, he’s pretty young. I’ll miss him, though.

19. Alex says:

I’ll definitely miss Andy Samberg the most, though I also think he has the best chance for success after SNL.

20. Nate says:

All of them leaving at once truly marks the end of an era. At least there’s still Bill Hader, but I can’t think of anyone else worth watching the show for. Samberg, with the digital short and Lonely Island contributions, is the biggest loss, but all three have contributed so much. But I understand them all wanting to move on, as they’ve all been there since 2005. I’m still wondering why Fred Armisen and Kenan Thompson haven’t left the show yet…

• Felipe says:

Agreed. Seth, Bill, Jason and Kristen are the funniest veteran players in the current cast (IMO). With Jason and Kristen leaving, I’m anxious to see who will emerge as the new anchors for the show.

• Jon Smoth says:

Armisen will never leave until he’s pushed out because he knows that he has little real talent, IMHO.

21. josh says:

Wiig would have been the answer three years ago, but now she repeats the same jokes week in and week out and i have completely stopped watching because of it… i doubt i’ll go back even after she’s gone because i for the life of me cannot find a reason to watch after so many years of terribleness

22. matthew c says:

they are by far the three strongest performers on the show, and I really do not trust Seth Meyers and Lorne Michaels to find strong talent to replace them.

23. Lia says:

This is good news–Jason has been phoning it in for a while now, and Andy’s digital shorts have been lacking since Akiva and Jorma left the show. And with Kristen and her annoying, overpowering characters leaving, the writers will be forced to finally utilize the other ladies in the cast, and we’ll be able to truly see what they’ve got in terms of talent instead of just watching them sit in the background while Wiig prances around like she usually does.

24. sarcasmo says:

Please, for the love of God, take Kenan Thompson with them!! One of the worst cast members EVER!

25. sundaysilence89 says:

YES!!! finally Kristen Wiig is gone, cannot stand seeing her play the same character over and over again. Going to miss Sudekis, don’t care about Samberg (always thought he thought he was funnier than he really is). Give more time to Hader, Kenan & Abby.

26. Kat says:

Well Kristen Wiig and Jason Sudeikis are famous comedic stars who have successful movie careers. It’s not a surprise that they are leaving like other SNL members before them. But what’s with Andy Samberg. He doesn’t have any other career outside SNL. He dosn’t have a chance to become successful actor. He is annoying and unsympathetic and it’s actually good that he is leaving.

27. Brendan says:

I would miss Andy the most, only because of the digital shorts… even though they have been terrible this season…

28. Meg says:

It would be way, way worse if Bill Hader were leaving. Samberg hardly does anything beyond the Digital Shorts, and they have been seriously lacking in creativity lately. That latest one with the save the date with the giant afro? I don’t even get what could possibly have been funny about that.

Wiig also used to be funny as hell but hasn’t been consistent, I think she’s been focused on her movie career. If this means we never have to watch another “Password” skit with her dippy actress character, I say good riddance.

However, I will miss Sudekis. He is hilarious.

29. CJ says:

I will miss them all, but I will miss Andy Samberg the most. Kristen Wiig – while I love her and think she is incredibly talented – has been SO overused in the past several seasons. There is plenty of talent amongst the rest of the cast, yet she is in EVERY sketch, doing characters that are all practically the same. I look forward to seeing her in other projects, and seeing other SNL cast members shine. Jason Sudeikis I liked as Floyd on 30 Rock but I have never been able to enjoy his work on SNL.

On another note, it is high time to hire a new head writer. Seth Meyers is just not getting the job done.

30. Elizabeth says:

Andy & Jason were MIA for the bulk of the last two seasons, so maybe I wouldn’t miss them that much – although I’ll miss them more than Kristin.

31. Jeff says:

Kristen and Jason leaving is not a surprise to me because they both started in summer blockbusters last year and Jason has been in the background anyway and hasn’t been in many sketches lately. I am surprise at Andy leaving I mean he has won a emmy for his digital short but he hasn’t proven himself at the box office yet

32. Annasophia says:

Andy Samberg and Kristen Wiig out? My two favorites are leaving!!!! It sucks.

33. Leah says:

I think it is a tie between the three. Unless I’m forgetting someone they are the three major players of the show. All three are very talented and funny…Abby Elliot is leaving also, correct? Or was that just a rumor? I’ll follow those three wherever they go! Hopefully this will mean more Bill Hader and Keenen Thomson.

P.S. If you hate SNL and haven’t watched it since the coke fueled Chevy years…why are you even contributing to the conversation?

34. Reblogged this on WWJW? and commented:
    How can SNL get rid of their best 3 talents?! This is ridiculous! I may stop watching for a little bit if this turns out to be true…

35. Danielle H says:

I recently started watching SNL (because of the articles on this site!), and losing Wiig would be huge. She’s funnier on SNL then she is in any movie I’ve seen her in. Sandberg is funny, but I think they could fill his void, and Jason is barely in any skits anymore.
    BIG sad face :(

• will says:

Good luck to all three of them wish them nothing but the best.
      Look forward to seeing all of them host one day

36. knd says:

I know this will be an unpopular comment but I’m so glad Kristen Wiig is out. She’s so overrated and really does she need to be in every freaking sketch???

Going to miss Andy and Jason but I’m glad Jason’s showing up in more movies.

37. mlabanadrian says:

These three along with Bill Hader were owning the show. I don’t understand how people are saying Kristen is bad….she is one of the only people holding up the fort. Lorne fired some really great featured players like Jenny Slate and Michaela Watkins. Losing these three will hurt the show….they have gone through big changes in the past so I look forward to the future but I hope it all goes well. I really hope this is all just hear say…..

38. Mark S says:

It would suck to lose three big players at one time, but the show will be fine. Kristen is a great performer, but she has lost a little steam on SNL. Jason has been a go to guy, but I don’t think it is a big loss considering Taran and Bill is still in the cast. Andy’s strength has always been the digital shorts, so that will probably have the biggest impact. The last time that there was a true mass exodus of talent was when Will Farrell, Cheri Oteri, Molly Shannon, and the others took over SNL when Sandler, Farley and the others left. It worked out fine then, it will probably work fine now. Anyways, the writing is the biggest problem with the show right now.

39. TigerNightmare says:

I voted for Jason, as he is the most consistently funny on the show. I like Kristen, but she’s funniest outside of her crutch of weird characters and they haven’t done enough of that with her. I also like Andy but I see a lot less collaboration in the digital shorts these days and those are really the best when Andy is not by himself (Parnes in Lazy Sunday, Timberlake for Box/Motherlover/Golden Rule, Hader in Laser Cats).

I wish all three would stay on. I really would prefer Fred, Bobby, Seth and Kenan would leave instead. Those four have worn out their welcome with me a long, long time ago.

40. All says:

Jason Sudeikis is so vanilla, he makes Pat Boone look ghetto and like he’s going to bust a cap in someone if you don’t give up that car.

41. meiray says:

Samberg’s Digital Shorts are usually a highlight, but he’s not indispensable. Sudeikis is always affable, like a cute dad next door… or a dentist. Doesn’t often stand out with signature roles, but he’s the best dancer on the show! Wiig I think is the star, I’m hard pressed to say otherwise. I love her characters, even the ones wearing thin like Target lady. Her Bjork is amazing. Bridesmaids proved she has writing chops too so that side of her will be missed as well.

42. godzilla's_foil says:

Maybe this is not for me, since I don’t watch current SNL even if my life depended on it. So I won’t miss any of them in that show. But I’ll be glad if I see more Sudeikis in other stuff and if I never see Andy Samberg’s face in anything ever again. And here’s hoping Wiig never do again what she did in the absolutely horrible Bridesmaids.

43. Rachel says:

That’s too bad that all three of them are leaving SNL at the same time. I enjoy watching them all so I’m definitely going to miss them next year. But hopefully that means the show will bump up Taran Killam to a main cast member next season. I think he is one of the best actors/comedians on SNL. I would love to see more skits on the show starring him.

44. Jake Albrecht says:

I think the cast is too big as it is. You can see it by how many sketches they do where every person comes in and does one impression for 20 seconds. Honestly I think it’d be ok if they let some people go and didn’t replace them. Let’s see more of Nasim Pedrad, and maybe they can finally start developing some stuff for Jay Pharoah. I like all three that are leaving but they’ve had their time on the show it’s time to start showing what other people are capable of.

45. periphescent says:

As soon as I saw the title of the article, I thought I’d be done with SNL for the most part, as Andy Samberg, Kristen Wiig, and Bill Hader usually make up my favorite parts of the show – and for two of them to be gone? I’m really bummed. But then I saw that Kate McKinnon will be on, and I could not be more excited! She has such a humorous personality, and I loved her own The Big Gay Sketch Show. I think she could add quite a bit to SNL. :)

46. MArv says:

When Sudekis in a scene I always think: “Why am I watching this person?”

47. FuzzyButt says:

What they need to do is get rid of Seth Meyers as head writer. So terrible

48. raftrap says:

If this horrible thing happens, SNL needs to book Kristen as the season premiere guest (and have her pop up regularly, just like when Maya Rudolph left and was still around for a bit), SNL is not ready to let her go just yet, she is the star of the show right now and there’s not a replacement around.

49. Dan says:

get rid of Fred Armisen, he sucks, his obama gets more terrible each and every week, make Jay Pharoh a regualar and have him take over as Obama

• Sarabi says:

I agree about Jay Pharoah.

• raftrap says:

Jay is not good for SNL, I’m sorry to say this, but he knows how to nail a perfect impression of someone, but he never makes it fun, just look at him next to Maya Rudolph in the Beyonce and Jay Z sketch, one of them was the living embodiment of Jay Z, but the other was the funny one.

50. Joe Camel says:

Wow I guess I really was the only one who thought LIZA MINNELLI TRIES TO TURN OFF A LAMP was genius.