Fringe on the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

Come mid-May (if not sometimes sooner), the networks will be making some tough calls as to which shows will return for the 2012-13 TV season, and which… won’t. As we did last spring, TVLine is singling out select “bubble” shows to survey their prospects, then turn it over to you to vote on the program’s fate.

Kicking things off is a beloved drama that may be due for a reality (or realities) check:

THE SHOW: Fringe (Fox)

THE TIME SLOT: Fridays at 9/8c.

THE CASE FOR KEEPING: Fringe is a show famous for “recontextualizing” its narrative with each and every season finale, so we have to imagine that come May 11, the Powers That Be will once again sends our jaws to the floor, brew a storm of speculation and get us clamoring for a Season 5. Plus, for too long now, storytelling hooks have “split up the band” in one way or another, robbing us of the chance to see the team we know — no alts, no timeline variations — crack cases together; it’d be nice to get a final run with the core four intact. So how about it, Fox? How about a thrilling, cost-efficient 13-episode farewell tour?

THE CASE FOR CUTTING: Not that we could ever get inside the übercreative heads of the Fringe writers, but what ways are left to “recontextualize” this show? Adding a third universe would seem derivative, so, save for a significant displacement forward or backward in time (and the always fun anachronisms that come with it), we can’t imagine where Peter, Olivia et al “need” to go next. To that end, this season’s timeline tinkering and resolution, pat as it has seemed, could suffice as an end story.

Vote below, then hit Comments to make your own case for keeping or cutting Fringe.

1. Anna says:

I vote cut. I hope they at least wrap it up in a good way. Fringe has been a bubble show pretty much every season and it continues to get picked up. Each season has felt like a gift to the viewers, a thanks for being loyal. That being said, loyalty only gets you so far and I can imagine if Fringe comes back the budget will be cut significantly and the quality will probably go down as a result of limited resources. I’d rather it go out on top creatively than lag around and start to go rotten.

• ric says:

This show is amazing and the writers would never let it “go rotten.”

• Mike says:

They have been quoted several times saying they had a plan for 7 seasons, so I feel like they have plenty of material before they’d let it “go rotten”… Obviously, we’re not getting 7 seasons so I’d be happy with 12 in season 5 to wrap things up and give fans of the series and cast/crew/writers themsevles proper closure.

To Matt though, who do you consider the 4th of the core 4? Lincoln? Astrid? Broyles? I always think of it as the core 3 with their supporting team but to each his own. lol

• Adaja says:

Yes, cut this crap, please. It’s a soap opera nonsense with vomitive horribly written characters.

• Tarc says:

Considering it’s one of the best written, best acted shows on TV, I have to ask what show are you speaking about?

• Carlos says:

“It’s a soap opera nonsense with vomitive horribly written characters”.

It’s a perfect line for Glee.

• Beth R says:

I totally agree, I just found this show, I purchased Seasons 1, 2 &3 on amazon and couldn’t put down my remote. Now I have to wait for October to see Season 4! Please, please come back, Fringe!!!

• KevyB says:

These comments are a total waste of time. This show ain’t on no “bubble”. It’s done. It’s getting atrocious ratings on Friday night, and they keep getting worse. It doesn’t matter that it’s getting 90% keep it… the only people even bothering to come to this page are the few remaining fans this show has. It’s too expensive to make a show that nobody’s watching. Dump it and find us a show that might get some eyeballs watching it.

• Mike says:

“It’s done. It’s getting atrocious ratings on Friday night, and they keep getting worse”

Can I quote you on this when it gets renewed? And btw, ratings went up last Friday.

• Phil says:

Beth R. – Wife and I just started Fringe two weeks ago and burned through Seasons 1,2 & 3 too… You can use VUDU to buy all of Season 4 ( about $2 an episode) and get caught up to the current “live” episodes

It really is the best show

• Me says:

KevyB – the problem with looking at the ratings to determine that it only has a few remaining fans is that the ratings don’t take into account streaming, DVR, OnDemand, iTunes, etc. numbers, for which Fringe has a significant number, as do most scifi shows. Don’t get me wrong – it’s still not exactly a ratings powerhouse even with those numbers, but it would easily be enough to continue the show if those were factored in.

• *Muse* says:

And that’s ladies and gentlemen what we call a big a** troll. It’s obvious that no one who is really watching this who say that.

• Beth R says:

Don’t watch it, keep your comments to yourself,

• Jim C says:

@adaja

Idiot savant

And Im being generous…..

• SMARTERONE says:

@adaja

Idiot savant

And Im being generous…..

Jim, You WERE too generous, they are quite intelligent. Should have left out the “savant”, then you would have a better description :)

• Kerri says:

No one is forcing you to watch it. Fringe has fans Worldwide, so why spoil the fun for the rest of us.

• jenna says:

I’m going to say you’ve never watched the show otherwise there is NO WAY you could say Walter Bishop is ‘horribly written’ John Noble is one of the most underrated actors on tv

• fringe addict says:

I second that !
          also- people that don’t watch the show should not even be allowed to vote. on what merit/ basis can they establish an opinion on weather the show should come to conclusion or not???
          and to those people- you don’t know what you’re missing! or it might be a bit to inteligent for ya’. keep watching all the superficial crap that you do vote for.. thank’s to you there’s realy almost nothing left to watch.
          fringe is the best show i’ve seen in years !

• TonyinKC says:

I agree! Whether he’s playing the Steward of Gondor on Lord of the Rings or the LSD taking scientist on Fringe, John Noble is a really good actor. I love the show.

• Nicole says:

@Adaja Are we even watching the same show? Your comment would apply more to Glee than Fringe. Fringe is one of the best shows on TV and is about as far from soap opera-ish as you can get. It is one of the few shows that is intellectually stimulating and I look forward to watching it every Friday. Here’s to a renewal for Season 5!

• JNForty says:

You’re a complete moron. That entire statement is just a complete stream of horse crap. You probably love NCIS, 2 1/2 men, and American Idol. Get a life.

• Ken says:

You are a disgusting moron. too bad these things always bring out internet low life like you.
        Fringe fans do not need you as a viewer,so crawl back under the rock from which you came.

• Lucy says:

Have you seen the show? I think you’re mistaken with others because clearly you’ve got the wrong idea about Fringe.

• Kacsa says:

Yes, it makes VERY sense, if you open your mind for possibilities, and the characters are beautifully written, rich-backgrounded people. :)
        And yes, the actors do a great job. :)

• Ragaspider says:

Your comment just caught me by surprise. Are we even talking about the same show?
        FRINGE is THE BEST sci-fi show TV has had to offer since The X-Files! Each of its episodes is well written. It has an amazing story arc connecting the dots, even where we think there’s no dots to do so. It presents a superb cast that has to perform double duties with completely different character backgrounds and personalities. Plus, even with the cuts in budget, it keeps delivering eye popping special effects and photography, and sound mixing and sound editing to die for.
        But I think I see where you’re coming from, since FRINGE is only THE SMARTEST SHOW ON TV.

• TonyinKC says:

You gotta love the 1st Amendment because it gives an idiot like this a free and fair opportunity to express an opinion.

• lin says:

With all due respect Anna, if u dont watch the show, Im not sure your opinion is valid…if you do watch you would surely want it to come back

• Valdez says:

Hey Anna, keep watching “Dancing with the morons” “Voice” and the other mind numbing wastes of time for Low IQ’s. If you don’t like Fringe; DONT WAT^CH!

2. katy917 says:

KEEP KEEP KEEP!! There’s still stuff left to discover – like why Peter was so important that the observers kept getting involved and the baby that he and REAL Olivia were/are supposed to have!! I don’t even need a reason, thought, because I love this show so much!!

3. Sarah says:

I’d say they could make the whole fifth season about the actual fixing of universes, not just a bridge as a temporary solution. Make them separate and the have cracks sealed so the universes “heal”. And then in the end, we know it will go on with them still having weird cases because there’s still weird people doing crazy crap in the world(s) but their lives go on after the last closing shot. Just in their own worlds. As it should be.

4. bad kevin says:

Fox better do the right thing to save FRINGE and hope that next season will definitely be its last. At least stay on Friday nights for all I care.

5. Gus says:

I would say cut, but a 13-episode season 5 is way “safer” for us fans. They’ll have time to wrap things up properly and not leave anything hanging.

• Laura E. says:

That’s exactly how I feel. I just want the creators to be able to give Fringe a proper ending. 13 episodes with no ridiculous hiatuses–just let it run from November through February, straight through.

• forrest says:

so does fox have the baseball playoffs again next season? Just sayin’……..

• Lily says:

I kind of feel like the stupidly long hiatuses are part of the reason it’s suffering in the first place. How do you guys actually keep track of your tv shows? By the time hiatus is over, you basically have to rewatch from the start to remember all the plots. That sort of schedule might work on fluff with no ongoing plot (someone mentioned Glee above…) but for something that’s written to be intelligent and thought-provoking, it’s about the biggest dis-service a network could do to a show. Regular viewers have to recap, new viewers get totally confused and potential viewers won’t bother because they haven’t seen all the backstory. I’m profoundly grateful that we (Australia) usually let our shows run uninterrupted, regardless of length (I admit, you’ll occasionally get a week’s interruption but nothing like the 8 week mid-season stuff Fox insists on running. Why not just start the season later in the year, if it means not splitting it up? Madness.)

• Bishopsgirl says:

Totally agree! all these changes to the shows schedules and mid season hiatus have damaged the flow of the season. The network hasn’t done Fringe any favours by continually messing around with how the show airs.
          I as an avid viewer from episode one have found myself missing weeks and re-capping only to then wait for a month for it to return to “live” viewing again
          . I love this show and wish it was given the full run thru of the season as it deserves. The stories can be complex and confusing to follow but for fans like myself its what keeps us watching, asking more questions and looking forward to what the next episode and next season holds for our beloved cast.

• Captain Hammer says:

I like that plan as well. That should be an option on the vote! Keep Cut or Shorten.

6. lisa says:

I love Fringe, but I think it’s time to wrap it up. I want some resolution to the story lines, not more craziness! Though, I do love Josh Jackson being on my TV every week…

7. kirads09 says:

Need you ask – Keep! Let them at least have 5 seasons/100+ episodes to end it right.

8. Kayla says:

Keep keep keep. KEEP. Keep. Did I mention keep?

If we get at least a shortened fifth season (13 eps) then that would give Fringe exactly 100 episodes produced. And Fringe is definitely a show that deserves to reach that mark. I still think it deserves waaay beyond 100 episodes, but I’d be happy and settle if Fox renewed for one last season. I wouldn’t be able to say goodbye if they cancelled it this year :’(

• Kerri says:

I’m with you. Knowing they have at least 7 seasons worth of material makes me feel that fans will be missing out on some great story telling if it gets the ax.

I will be so sad without my weekly Walter fix. :(

9. aaron says:

This is a smart show: it has action, comedy, cases beyond our imagination, it keeps our minds busy by creating a lot of theories around the plot… It”s one of the best shows ever, plus there is the amazing cast that works the double by interpreting two (or three) different personalities of the same character. It definitely must be renewed!

10. Daniel Ace says:

I would hate for the show but let’s be real. Fox has grumbled about the budget enough that a new season would be budgeted to death. It’s time to invoke the “Seinfeld Principle” and leave when you are on top.

• Fido says:

I’m sure someone here has the right words needed to explain how you can apply the Seinfeld Principle to shows where each ep can be viewed singularly – like comedys and the CSIs. Whereas those shows which are heavily serialised, involving story arcs covering many seasons, well the SP doesn’t work here cos ending these shows before they decline in quality could result in them ending before the main story line has been resolved. (it’s too late here, in England, and I’m tired, so this might not be making much sense).
      It bugs the beegees out of me when a show I love is on the bubble and the money-people wait until the current season is over before making the “cut/stay” decision. Cancelling a show AFTER the season has rounded up, leaving the writers no time to tweak the final ep into a fitting series finale, well that’s just darn mean of them and akin to spitting in the eye of all the loyal viewers. Maybe it’s just me but how ever brilliant a show has been throughout its run, if the series just stops without there being a proper final/goodbye ep, well that taints all that’s gone before and makes me reluctant to give the show a rewatch. – like going on a date with a gorgeous redhead, having a lovely time, but at the end when you lean in for a goodnight kiss, she punches you in the stomach – even though you had an excellent meal, had a good snuggle in the cinema, all that quickly fades when you’re on the floor gasping for breathe – or something like that.

• tsi431 says:

Actually the head honchos at Fox love the show, the ratings, however, they do not love.

11. Tom says:

I vote Keep for one last small season like the one Chuck got. A season dedicated to wrapping up the show properly.

• SamLynx says:

Exactly!! I loved that they did that because it gave us time to kind of come to terms with the end of the show. We knew it would only have thirteen episodes left and that we would get the ending that they wanted us to have.

Giving Fringe a final 13-episode season it would give the writers time to end the series how they intend for us fans, not a season finale. It’s like making 1 hour and 15 minutes of an hour and a half movie!

12. wrstlgirl says:

Just cut the cord already. This show lost me last season. Finito.

• You must not be very smart then.

• wrstlgirl says:

When I say “lost me” I meant as a viewer. Sheesh, there was no need to be insulting.

• Mike says:

Well, I won’t insult you, but I think alex’s point was last season has been looked at as Fringe’s creative peak. I would argue that it has continued into season 4, but it’s hard to argue last season was some of their best work.

• Quincy says:

disgusting.

• wrstlgirl says:

Yes, I don’t agree with you so I’m just so disgusting. I’ll never understand why people have to be rude an insulting on message boards. Must make you feel empowered.

• And I have always wondered why people who are tired of a show and stopped watching it end up post 4+ comments on a thread populated by fans. Must fill a need for attention.

• wrstlgirl says:

This is a comment board to keep or cut Fringe. That said I have every right to voice my opinion. Your just mad because I don’t agree with you.

• Beth says:

You’re not Your.

• Cheri says:

Exactly! And someone that gives herself a name that conjures up images of wrestling fan sounds…not very bright.

• adriene says:

I agree with you. I really did love Fringe, but things have been going downhill for a while now. This season I’ve just lost interest in any of the characters. J.J. Abrams shows do this all the time. Start off strong, but he just doesn’t know how to keep the story going plausibly. The whole Peter and Olivia are destined lovers that have been prophesized to save the world story really made me rethink my love for the show. Now on Fridays nights I think “Do I really want to watch this anymore?” If the show comes back for another season I’ll probably check out the first few eps and give it another chance, but I wouldn’t be bothered if this was the end. I’d actually rather it end than see more of the show going downhill. It’s so sad.

13. Anna, are you nuts? This show deserves at least a 13-episode wrapup season. The strength of the show is in its cast and characters, so it could handle any budget decrease. Just set all the episodes in the lab!

• smidnite says:

First of all some of you need to stop insulting those readers who have their own reasons for voting for cutting. The whole purpose of there being two poll options is to give everyone a chance to be heard.

The only way that Fringe deserves to return is if every series that garners higher ratings also returns.

Last year Human Target, Lie To Me, Chigago Code and Breaking In (which has now pretty much earned cancellation on its own merits) were all cut; despite having better ratings.

House appears to be a case where finances make it impossible for a renewal; but the fact is that Alcatraz and The Finder have more fans, whether they are more “intelligent” or not they still should be treated fairly.

• SamLynx says:

I agree that people shouldn’t be insulting others…I also think Fox has many reasons to keep Fringe another season. The Finder and Alcatraz may have more viewers but they are only in their first seasons so ratings are bound to go down drastically. Plus, Fringe is also good because it keeps pretty steady viewership on a Friday. So, there are more contributing factors than just the numbers.

I still don’t think anyone should be attacked for having a different opinion. Everyone thinks differently and understand things in their own way. You can try to get people to see things your way but like my mom always said…if you don’t have anything nice to say then don’t say anything at all :)

• Valdez says:

THE PROBLEM IN A NUTSHELL!
        Ratings!
        Stupid , worthless, shows like Voice, where they tell the audience of Jr, High IQ’s to scream every 30 seconds. dancing with the morons, etc.get good ratings because, unfortunately our nation has become intellectually bankrupt. HEY, soap operas have survived for decades.
        The Intellectually deprived even elected Obama. Case closed

• Anna says:

Do you really think it would still be as good if they were trapped on one set because they couldn’t afford to leave it? I would be ok with a 13 episode wrap up. As I said in my earlier post, I feel like each season has been a gift because it has always been on the bubble and always brought back despite the odds against it. I know Fox wants to drastically cut the budget for Fringe so I’d rather it go out after 4 FANFREAKINGTASTIC seasons than 4 fantastic and one lackluster seasons. I guess I’m not a gambler so I’d rather take the safe bet than the risk of the 5th season being hurt by a severely restrictive budget.

14. Shazza, UK says:

Hands down, my favourite show of the past few years. I stumbled across it quite by accident, beginning a repeat run of the first series over here (UK) on Sky1, and was immediately hooked. Whilst I can appreciate that its high production values make it a costly endeavour when weighed against the apparently low weekly ratings (although I’m led to believe that these rise significantly when DVR is taken into account), I think the fact that repeat viewing in the form of the good ‘ole DVD/Blu-Ray box set could factor into the final decision. I own all three previous seasons on box set and have watched them several times, and this has only served to enhance my appreciation and enjoyment of the series as a whole. The writing is consistently good, and even the ‘minor’ characters have depth and substance (the recent episode with both Astrids being a case in point, and don’t get me started on the wonderful interactions between Astrid and Walter!). So, to cut a long story short, SAVE FRINGE!

15. nietoperz says:

This is the best show on TV, plus proper Sci-Fi. I truly hope Fox keeps it going for another year, at least so that we can see some proper resolution.

16. Val says:

Keep for one more season. That way it doesn’t burden FOX anymore and hopefully a final season means no more monster-of-the-week episodes. Best Fringe is serial Fringe.

17. Natalie says:

Keep! Fringe is pretty much the only show I look forward to seeing each week

18. Ruby says:

If Fox cuts this show without giving them time to wrap up, I will never watch another show on this network again. I’m so tired of getting in to shows on Fox only to see them cut abruptly. I am glad Fringe has received more of a chance than, say, Terra Nova, but this is a show that has a very rich, dense storyline, and if they leave us hanging in any way I am going to be furious. And so is everyone I know who watches (who DON’T own Neilsen boxes, btw, so how are we counted?)

• Anna says:

Here’s the thing though, Fox has given Fringe at least TWO seasons more than it probably should have (ratings wise) if TPTB’s at Fringe don’t wrap it up appropriately that is on Fringe not Fox. The writing was on the wall at Fringe. I think the writers are brilliant enough that they could have (and maybe have) come up with something that would have worked either as a season or series finale so if they get picked up last minute they’ll have somewhere to go but if not then it’ll be ok.

19. M3rc Nate says:

For the safety of the story line, give it a final 10-13 episodes for the writers to fully wrap up every important storyline (please dont pull a chuck on Peter&Olivia…they have been through enough, just keep them in love and together, hell have him propose or her get preggo)
    Love the show, it needs closure, but i fear trying to get another 13-22 and then the hope of another season after that, is just dreaming considering its ratings. Play it safe, get 10-13 for a final season please.

20. Jay says:

KEEP, for 13 episodes.

-Get enough episodes for a syndication or Netflix-type deal.
    - Build goodwill with fans.
    - Give the show a proper ending after its years of service.
    - Stay in bed with JJ Abrams.
    - With a shorter season, run the show uninterrupted, hopefully to higher ratings that way.
    - Keep filling the Friday death slot, saving other shows from the slots fate.
    - Keep a quality show on the air.

Win-win-win-win-win-win-win.

21. ibradfox says:

While Anna is probably correct, I can’t bring myself to say,”Let it go”. With the creative minds working at Fringe, I’m sure a less expensive, but brilliant Season 5 could be created.

22. John Berggren says:

I would love to see fringe go on forever, but I would be very content to have a final 22 or 13 episodes season. Preferably six seasons and a movie!

23. Amanda says:

Keep it. I would love 20 seasons but realistically we need at least one last season to get to see our gang working together and knowing each other. Also Fringe is the type of show that needs to know it is its last season at the beginning of the TV season so that it can give its final chapter the ending it deserves.

24. Linda Stieber says:

KEEP. If it is true that Terra Nova is no longer an option, Fox execs have a LOT more cash on their hands to keep the FRINGE faithful happy for at least one more season. As fun as the cases are, as good as the special effects are, it is the HUMAN elements of each story that keep me coming back. The characters are written and portrayed in such a way that you care about them. Love the Peter/Olivia arc, Astrid, Lincoln, Broyles, Nina … and … who doesn’t want more Walter??!!!???? Come on FOX, make my day. :) That is all.

25. S. says:

I think it is time for the show to be cut. Seasons 1-3 were great, but the current season is lacking, and I no longer feel compelled to watch the show. It’s lost it’s quality and it’s original spark, imo, and it’s time for it to go. At the same time, a 13 episode order may help tie up some loose ends for the fans of the show, so I wouldn’t be against that, but I can’t see a full season 5 order in the show’s future.

26. Also… it would really cheat the audience if we couldn’t see Jones defeated and our Fringe crew live happily ever after… Peter and Olivia being cross universe parents, Walter being a grandpa, etc. That is NOT going to happen in time for the end of this season. So, Matt Mitovich, I don’t know what you mean to imply that there is nothing left to tell because we are still missing a member of the family… baby Henry who is currently in nothingness limbo. That would make a nice wrapup story.

27. I definitely think they should be renewed for a fifth final season. That will give them (network, writers) enough time to give the show a proper farewell. It may not have always been the biggest show (in terms of ratings), but it has amassed a loyal following.

28. Jerry Glonek says:

This season hasn’t been up to the quality of the other three but I don’t think it deserves to go just yet. The producers and JJ have said from the start that they had a five year or so plan. So let’s get one more season, even if it’s a shortened 13 episode order, so that everything can be wrapped up the way the creators want it to be.

29. TheRiffRaff says:

Voting to keep Fringe will never be a hard decision for me. Keep always and forever.

30. beckstar78 says:

Keep Fringe!

The fans that have been loyal all this time deserve some closure and even if that means a shortened 5th season, so be it. We deserve at least that :) Plus, maybe this will be the season John Noble and the show gets some recognition from the Emmy’s.

May I also say how amazing Seth Gabel has been this season, especially the last few episodes.

• Linda Stieber says:

Right on!

• Egnirf says:

Anna Torv is far more deserving of an Emmy, she has the most difficult part to play, and the entire story arc of Olivia and her two memories, with all the fans recognizing both of them at once, although played by the same actress , is all credit to Anna’s briiliant acting.

Interesting to know that John Noble had problems with his Walter in the begining if this season, imagine what Anna Torv has to go through with Olivia Dunham, the most compex and most underrated character on Fringe.

And more fantastic Fauxlivia coming up.

So Emmy for Anna Torv

• beckstar78 says:

agreed anna torv deserves an emmy as well.

• Rupualrace says:

while the show itself doesn’t deserve to be cancelled, if it is cancelled, at least I won’t have to read this annoying Anna Torv fan’s always crapping all over Josh, John, Jasika, Blair, Seth and Lance. Just shut up already.

• danielle says:

No one’s crapping on anybody by saying Anna Torv deserves Emmy recognition. It doesn’t take away from anyone else’s performance to say Torv (or any other cast member) performed his/her role brilliantly. This zero-sum fandom (on both sides) is incredibly irritating. Grow up.

• panda says:

Ecxellent responce there danielle.

• panda says:

*response

• colossus says:

Both Anna Torv and John Noble are amazing actors and deserve Emmys.

• Rupualrace says:

I think you misread what i said…I said “this Anna Torv FAN” not Anna Torv fans. I am referring to the Anna torv troll (aka passing, anto, conclusions, etc) who bashes Josh, spreads lies about him (like he cares more about the film he did than fringe and how he “disrespected” the other castmembers by doing said movie).

Not sure why MY posts always get attacked but this Anna Torv troll and her hatred towards Josh or anybody who isn’t anna torv is always ignored.

I suggest you read other fringe articles on here and read passing’s posts.

• Fringie says:

Yeah, Anna deserves an Emmy since she’s proven time and again how talented she is. Great attention to details, very expressive. She’s a joy to watch. Her Olivias is one of the main reasons why I’ve grown to love the show. She and John Noble are excellent actors.

IMO, having only one ep with a series finale in mind wont cut it as a satisfying finale. I hope Fox gives Fringe writers one last season to wrap things up properly.

• goonieqw says:

Right, who cares about josh, jasika, Blair, Seth and lance right? Too bad those folks don’t get any damn respect.

31. arucha says:

Keep! #Fringe5

32. dessy111 says:

KEEP KEEP KEEP KEEP AND KEEP SOME MORE
    Please please a fifth final season would just be perfect and 13 episodes would bring the show’s number to 100 which would just be perfect
    It is doubtlessly the best show on Tv and what I look forward to throughout the week.
    KEEP!!

33. dawson says:

I vote KEEP. With a show like Fringe you can never know where it will take you next. Yes indeed the season wasn’t one of the most jaw floor ones because of the confusion and not the plot itself. The show deserves ratings and not only 13 episodes . But since the “audience” who is the factor about the ratings is not interested in complex shows that you need to know the plot and past seasons to get it decide to not watch it anymore by giving it the ratings like 1.2 average or DVDR it because its friday night the show at least deserves to have the proper wrap up i mean there are fans out there who watch the show and buy the dvd’s the score . Is not only the nielsen families who provide money. Of course that is for WB but the fans so far fight hard to keep the show alive . The show proved with ep12 even with low budget can provide quality and amazing 40 minutes. KEEP.

34. Susy says:

Keep! Fox has plenty of space for Fringe now (no House or Terra Nova) so Mondays are free! Besides, this show has plenty of stories to tell and an audience just as eager to watch them! I think we fans need closure after investing 4 years on these characters’ lives- so Fox, do the right thing- Renew Fringe NOW!!!

35. Danielle says:

Keep! Keep! Keep!
    Fringe is smart, compelling, the only true good Sci-Fi show at the moment.

It makes your brain explode from speculating and trying to wrap your mind around it, it makes you cry, it makes you laugh. It has the best son-father relationship ever and the most epic love story you can ever imagine, a love story that transcends universes and time-lines.

Fringe is a show that needs to complete a circle, to end just like the writers envisioned it. There’s too much mythology to just let it up in the air, without the proper explanation.
    There are still so many mysteries, so many things to uncover… This show has had clues since the Pilot about where things are going now, in Season 4. So they’ve had a plan all along. Everything is connected. You don’t really see this in other TV shows. We need to see the other end of the clue, the moment that was predicted a long time ago. That’s what makes this show so interesting. I’m sure that in Season 5 we would see that we were given a hint at one point in Season 2.

Fringe is everything you can ever need from a TV show.

36. Fox should KEEP Fringe for as long as the wonderful writers and cast want to tell stories. While I love the “recontextualizing” to which you refer, new universes and timelines are not necessary to make Fringe probably the best written and most compelling show on network television. The characters (both those in our universe and the ALTuniverse) have sufficient emotional depth and interesting back stories enough for several more seasons of thought-provoking episodes. I just hope the powers that be at Fox realize how rare what they have is and renew the show.

37. bowyer30 says:

Fringe is the best show on TV….PLEASE KEEP IT until it is completely finished.

38. J. Norman says:

Interesting vote. 93% in favor of keeping the show.

That, of course, is in total denial of the reality of the real world situation. . .which of course means nothing to the rabid fans of alternate universes.

Yes, the show is very popular with the comic-con crowd but the cold hard fact is that there are not enough of these type fans around to justify keeping the show on the air.

It really shouldn’t have been renewed last year either based upon the ratings but got a miracle renewal. A fact that most of its fan base conveniently forgets.

• Then keep the miracle going for 13 more episodes. The showrunners of Fringe, the network, its actors and its fans have made a miracle show.

People who scoff at miracles will probably never get to experience any.

• You’re SO right FFN! People who scoff at miracles also scoff at dreams and the extraordinary. Endless impossibilities are what FRINGE is all about. If you can’t believe in miracles, dreams and the impossible, how can you be expected to understand and appreciate FRINGE?

And it’s NOT just the Comic-con crowd that loves FRINGE. Sure, there are geeks galore who adore the show (myself among them), but what has been amazing to me is getting to know people who aren’t really that into the whole “sci-fi” thing but love FRINGE. My 76 year old dad is one of those people.

For the TRUE fans who never say die, find us fellow FRINGIES on twitter and join the fight. Also, visit MoreThanOneOfEverything Dot Net for details about our “Watch Fringe Live” Friday twitter Campaigns! Change Your World!

• wrstlgirl says:

Nail meet Head!!

• Also: We live in a media world that was created in great part years ago by the same kind of passionate fans that Fringe has today. The small army of geeks who didn’t let Star Trek die had a huge influence on how today’s market for sci-fi/fantasy books, movies and TV shows even came to exist. So, to mock fans of a show for being passionate and “out of touch with reality” is rather odd. Reality IS a matter of perception, and in the case of the Trek fans, certainly, their “alternate reality” became… actual reality (you know, several multi billion dollar franchises later…)

Science fiction fandom will never die – and never stays dead – it just takes new forms.

• ADG says:

Norman, I would hate to live in YOUR universe. I think ALL of us know that the last renewal was a gift. However, since they have kept it on this long, the show deserves to be wrapped up appropriately, not by some season finale that is not really a fit series finale.

• Ben says:

J. Norman – actually, I couldn’t disagree with you more. Ratings are frequently what determine a shows renewal because of hard cold dollars attached to those figure. But that does not mean this is what SHOULD determine a renewal.
      The reason 93% vote for renewal is because of the quality of the show. Given Ausiello has on his renewal scorecard ‘a good bet’ for Fringe (and he tends to have the right connections for these things) I cannot see how wanting it to be renewed is denial of the real world situation – indeed, believing the ratings alone will determine its cancellation is denial of a real world situation in which the producers, distributor and network are bending over backwards to try to find a deal that keeps Fringe on air.

39. robinepowell says:

93% of the vote went to “keep”, so obviously, there’s a lot of Fringe fans out there. Too bad they didn’t watch the show on a weekly basis. ;)

I would like to see the show return for a full 22 episode fifth season, not 13.

40. Grey says:

Keep and move the show to the future that we glimpsed in the last season finale where Olivia was killed by Walternate.

I secretly hoped that THIS season would take place in that future instead of the orange universe, with the team trying to prevent Olivia from being killed

41. Linda Lou says:

I’ve watched it from the first episode. Please save my beloved Fringe.

42. mara says:

KEEEEEEEEP! Fringe gives me hope that quality television shows still exist.

43. ADG says:

Keep this show – at least give us a 13 episode season to wrap it up. The show and we loyal fans/viewers deserve that much. It is one of the best shows on TV. I understand the viewer numbers probably do not warrant a renewal – but I feel like since they have kept it on this long that it deserves a fit ending, and not something that can “serve as a series finale.”

44. bacoby13 says:

Keep, with a 13 episode 5th and final season. I agree, the show doesn’t APPEAR to have a lot left to say, but that doesn’t mean that I want this to be the end. I think both fans and the show’s writers would benefit greatly from having an end date.

45. Jess says:

I’m one of the (few) audience who didn’t start watching Fringe until season 3/4; I’m also one of the few who never got into any other JJ Abrams show (Lost, Alcatraz, etc.) but Fringe and the cast and crew are all amazing!! KEEP KEEP KEEP!!!

46. PFitzDC says:

I’m voting keep because the network hasn’t given the show the word, and they’re done filming. And despite producers’ assurances that it will be a satisfying end “either way,” I just don’t believe that. I think writers write differently when they truly know it’s the END.

So I hope they get the nod for another year, but are also given word on a specific number of episodes.

47. NikkiQM says:

I say keep. Fox screwed Fringe over by moving the shows timeslot so many times. They did fairly well with the ratings in the beginning but than were moved around to much more competitive nights and the ratings floundered. And moving it to Fridays was a death trap. Fox needs to Give Fringe one last season, even if its a shortened one, it is one of the best shows on tv especially now that it has become dominated by crappy reality tv.

• smidnite says:

Fringe is not the first show to get a crappy timeslot; and it won’t be the last. Fox has moved The Finder in order to justify its demise.

CBS has consigned the Good Wife to Sunday where it has to fight football fans.

Back when I used to watch NBC; there was this trio of popular shows called Crossing Jordan, Las Vegas and Medium…

48. We need a good sci-fi series on tv. I enjoy fringe so i have voted to keep it. if anyone has any better suggestion for a sci=fi series to watch im all ears but i’ll still watch fringe as well!!

49. ben says:

I could not ever vote to cut fringe until the writers have been given an up front chance to write a ‘final’ season. I would prefer a 22 episode final season, but I’ll take 13 or 15.