The Voice Results Recap: Did the Right 8 Singers Advance?

nbc the voice“It’s not tough, it’s sucky,” said Blake Shelton, discussing the first results show of The Voice‘s second season. And the same can be said for some of the decisions made by the voting public and the show’s mentors over the course of the hour-long telecast.

Before the final verdicts were rendered, Xtina brought out her melons (hey, maybe I’m just referring to the cantaloupe-center hue of her dress!). Carson Daly inherited the much-maligned “IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER!” chant made unpopular by Steve Joes on Season 1 of The X Factor. And the members of Team Adam got to sing (with their mics turned off) while a homeless dude and a woman with white plant-hangers on her shoulders sang the poetically titled “Ass Back Home.”

The Voice Performance-Night Recap: Send in the…Clowns?

But enough about the superfluous details, let’s talk results.

TEAM BLAKE
Voted Through by America
“IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER!” –Carson Daly
Erin Willett (yessss!)
Jermaine Paul (Wait, did real people vote for his excruciating “Livin’ on a Prayer,” or did Alicia Keys help her former backup singer out and buy 10,000 copies of his single on iTunes to help him advance?)
RaeLynn

Last-Chance Performances
Naia Kete: Beyoncé’s “If I Were a Boy” — A barely audible performance that was nevertheless too loud. (Insert sadface here.)
Charlotte Sometimes: Goo Goo Dolls’ “Iris” — Fighting back tears wasn’t great for her vocal control, but how in the hell did America forget to vote her through after Monday’s splendid “Misery Business,” which had to be among the week’s top two performances?
Jordis Unga: Rolling Stones’ “Wild Horses” — The best she’s sounded since her audition, and slightly better than Charlotte’s “Iris,” but let’s be real: Jordis’ “Alone” was so desperate/traj on Monday night, and her Battle Rounds performance was so off-pitch, I don’t see how her body of work merits a save.

Blake’s Save (coincidentally, the anonymous unanimous pick of his fellow judges)
Jordis Unga

TEAM XTINA
Voted Through by America
Jesse Campbell
Lindsey Pavao (yesss!)
Chris “Pale Ben Stiller” Mann

Last-Chance Performances
Ashley de la Rosa: Grace Potter and the Nocturnals’ “Paris (Ooh La La)” — To reference one of NBC’s other hit series, that was seriously Grimm.
Sera Hill: Mariah Carey’s “Vision of Love” — I’m not sure she’s the type of singer who should be tackling Mariah — honestly, she’s got that roughness around the edges that can be quite lovely — but I didn’t not enjoy it.
Moses Stone: “Break Even”/”Falling to Pieces” — He can sing, if a note doesn’t have to extend longer than three seconds. Also, I caaaaahhhn’t with the way he pronounced “What am I supposed to do?” as “What am I post to do?”

Xtina’s Save (Coincidentally Adam and Blake’s pick, too)
Ashley de la Rosa

What did you think of this week’s results? Sound off in the comments, and for all my reality TV news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Rebecca Parker says:

Blake’s Save (coincidentally, the anonymous pick of his fellow judges)

You mean unanimous.

2. Joan says:

None of these singers would have made it on idol.

Idol’s top 8 > The top 8 just voted through.

• Jdurbs says:

The top 8 on Idol have been singing with the help of vocal coaches galore for WEEKS (maybe even months if you include hollywood bootcamp)! Comparing the the chosen 8 from the Voice at this point is not comparing apples to apples. These singers are pretty much on week 1/ week 2. I’m not saying the singers on Idol this season aren’t better – I’m not watching Idol so I really have no comment about that – but I’ve read a lot of people making that same statement you made and it really holds no merit.

• shelbybb says:

Absolutely don’t buy your argument that Idol contestants have more coaching then The Voice. Some of the people on The Voice have been performing for years as professional singers (and performed on Broadway for heaven sake!) These are not “kids off the street”!
        Sorry to be so passionate but that’s just a ridiculous argument. Tune in to Idol you might just like it this year.

• Jdurbs says:

Many of the voice singers are “kids off the street” (and many of the Idol performers have also had the same backgrounds of years of singing/broadway productions) Performing your own music for years and performing broadway style shows doesn’t mean you can step on stage and sing a song that was chosen for you by someone else and hit it perfectly. All I’m saying is that to compare the top 8 of idol who have been working with the vocal coaches, producers, musicians etc etc etc since at least Mid-February (I think that’s when the live shows began) with the top 8 of idol who began live shows THIS WEEK – is not comparing them on equal playing fields. If you were comparing the performances from back in February to last night – then I wouldn’t argue it – I thought a lot of the performances on the Voice sucked this week. Just making a point. You can’t compare one “team” from the beginning of the season after one game to another “team” who is 3/4 through their season.

• Kee says:

Elise Testone pwns all of these 8 contestants from The Voice. Period.

• Julianne says:

Kee ended her comment with “Period.” Therefore, she has the final say and must be correct.

Also, this is sarcasm, and Kee is full of her/himself.

• 30CamdenSquare says:

SOME of the people on The Voice have been singing professionally for years but Erin, RaeLynn, Charlotte, Moses, Naia, Lindsey, & Ashley don’t have any more experience & in some cases less experience than the Idol contestants. Jermaine and to a lesser extent Jordis, Chris & Jesse (used to live in my car) Campbell, are the only one w/ a big resumes… not sure about Sara.

Also, the battle rounds were filmed in December, so Jdurbs does have a point. This should be compared to Top 24 week on Idol at most.

• Stacy says:

I think Charlotte’s fantastic, but despite the promo pieces showing how she thought she’d never sing again, she has been singing – and for a while. You can find her stuff on iTunes.

I don’t really care about who has what experience. Every single person has been singing for a different length of time, based on age alone! If you’re good enough to get on the show (any show), you have to be good enough to keep going. Regardless of coaches or former jobs.

• guest says:

skip Idol……..the judges make it unwatchable.

• Maria says:

Taylor Swift would’ve never made it on Idol…

• Tovah says:

Well, this isn’t the top 8. There are still 12 others between Adam & Cee-Lo so technically they are in the top 20.

• Noel says:

O I hate these comparisons…like because you’re watching Idol…you’re better than the rest. Let’s be real: they’re all the same, and only a very very few will be successful (from a numbers perspective). Idol has had its duds, and honestly, last season of Idol is better than this season.

• gup says:

I actually like the fact that the judges in The Voice have different tastes than those on Idol. I like very unique-sounding voices (Lindsey Pavao, last season’s Dia Frampton and Xenia) more than the commercial-sounding ones preferred by the Idol judges. If singers in The Voice sounded like the singers on Idol, then it wouldn’t be as interesting to me. Thankfully it’s not – it’s a show that can stand on its own because it is unique and offers a different flavour than the standard fare.

3. gailer says:

the way he pronounced “What am I supposed to do?” as “What am I post to do?”

omg, that was bad

• Jdurbs says:

That drove me crazy!

• Jake says:

I noticed that too and cracked up every time after I first heard it.
      What else was I post to do but laugh?

• 30CamdenSquare says:

Yeah, that was easily the worst vocal I’ve heard so far this season (except maybe Erin Martin in the battle rounds). I wonder if there weren’t any rap song on the list. I don’t know why he’d chose to just sing against two singers unless he had no other option.

4. Connie says:

Michael as much as I love you and your recaps I think you really don’t like the Voice because you are such an Idol fan!!! Anyway I think Ashley sounded great!!!

• Davey says:

So true, Connie.

• Sheri says:

Michael will alwats be a fan of Idol, therefore he would’nt be very positive about the Voice. Idol is a TIRED show. There are some duds in their Top 8, especially Deandre.

• Joan says:

The 8 that got through on the Voice make Deandre look like Celine Dion. Are you saying there are no duds in The Voice? Come on.

• 30CamdenSquare says:

There aren’t really any duds left on Idol IMO, but when The Voice gets down to the top 8, they’ll probably match up better than what Idol fans are claiming. I’m watching both shows & yeah Idol is much better at this point.

• Sheri says:

OK Joan you win. All you ever do is praise Idol and put down this show. Deandre does look like Celine, unfortunately he isn’t a Celine vocally. Suggest you should give up on this blog–after all your favorite singers are going to be on tonite on the Tired Idol show.
          Slezak agrees with you, obviously J Lo and Randy have better musical taste than any of The Voice mentors. How else would anyone ever had to listen to Heejun?

• Faz says:

I didn’t hear one good performance on Monday’s night show. Not one.

• TheBeach says:

I wasn’t a big fan of Ashley last night but tonight I thought she picked the perfect song and really delivered. She would have been my pick also from Xtina’s 3 (although I was shocked that she didn’t pick Sera)

• FreeHaley says:

Yeah Ashley totally brought it!

5. Becky says:

Haha, anonymous pick, Michael? Did you mean “unanimous?”

6. Davey says:

Lyndsay and RaeLynn are my least favorite on the show so far. So sad they were saved.

I thought the results show was more fun than any AI results show this year. Just zipped along.

• Joan says:

It wasn’t as fun as the wildcard show.

• TheBeach says:

Man, I thought the same. They managed to cram a guest artist, some backstage fluff, initial eliminations and then 6 performances with judges picks…all in one hour. Take note Idol, that’s how it’s done.

7. shelbybb says:

Charlotte Sometimes didn’t get through based on attitude – not talent. I’ve seen that happen a lot. Heads up to you contestants!

8. Davey says:

And BTW, the group that sang at the beginning of the show was better than some of the awful guests we’ve had to sit through on AI results show this year, like Lana forget her.

• Rebecca Parker says:

Really? I thought the female singer in the band was fairly atrocious. It sounded as if she was meekly singing along with a backing track of herself.

• 30CamdenSquare says:

I think you mean Lana (raise your hand if you’re album sold 1.4 Million copies in only 8 weeks) Del Rey.

Yeah, I totally agree. She’s a nobody.

• 30CamdenSquare says:

My comment was in response to Davey not Rebecca. You guys, do yourself a favor & google Lana Del Rey – Blue Jeans, either live (anything but SNL) or the video… and just give it a listen.

• TheBeach says:

I agree with you that the female singer of Gym Class Heroes. She was pretty weak, although I will give them credit for not lip-syncing as a lot of Idol guests do (Nikki, J-L0, etc). But as for Lana del Rey, I saw her on SNL and also on Idol and that’s all I really care to hear from her. Quite a few singers have sold over a million records in a short time period. It doesn’t mean they are good, just have good promotion.

• Tarc says:

All the promotion in the world doesn’t help a bad record – you get to preview them.

• 30CamdenSquare says:

I realize a lot of people aren’t going to appreciate Lana’s music the way I and a lot of other people do. It’s a type of alternative rock called shoegaze that was popular around 20 years ago and has become popular again in the last several years. Unfortunately her SNL performance was the stiffest I’ve ever seen from her. Blue Jeans is not nearly as slow as “Video Games” (the song she performed on AI) which is why I suggested it.

She also does something w/ her vocals I’ve never another singer do before. She sings different lines of the song in different voices. She uses a unnaturally odd sounding low voice, a high early 20th century movies type voice, a more expressive natural voice, a No Doubt “I just a girl” voice, and she delivers some of the lines as if she acting out the lyrics. Anyway “Live at the Mod club”, “Live in Paris, & Live at The Premises” are all good clip. Sorry for the long post, I’m addicted to her right now.

9. stacy says:

I didn’t like Misery Business. The arrangement did not work at all. It’s not the kind of song that should be slowed down and moody — it’s about stealing your man back! Probably turned away a lot of voters.
    RaeLynn is pulling in the all-important country vote and probably jives with fans of Taylor Swift and The Band Perry. Vocal was not good, but the whole band swallowed her so you couldn’t tell.

• Tovah says:

I love The Band Perry and I think RaeLynn is the worst.

• M Girl says:

Same here. I love Band Perry and loathe RaeLynn.

• FreeHaley says:

Funny thing is I hate country and usually the country country types and yet somehow something about her performance last night catchily drew me in so she must’ve done something right.

I hadn’t been too happy when she won the battle round where she got blown away though.

• guest says:

she was slutty……was that it?

• FreeHaley says:

No, no that was not it. And it holds for the iTunes single.

I wasn’t a fan at all of her battle round though and I don’t even recall her blind audition much.

• gup says:

Yes FreeHaley, Raelynn drew me in too. And yes guest, I think it had a lot to do with her gyratin’ so it’s because she was slutty. But I think a lot of so-called “artists” get by with just that, so Raelynn should fit in just fine…

• Stacy says:

I thought the arrangement was great & unique! I’m not sure I’d pick it over the original, but it definitely worked in my book.

• flutiefan says:

i really really enjoy country music, i’m a big fan of Taylor Swift, and i really enjoy The Band Perry.

i can’t stand RaeLynn.

• Paula says:

I think RaeLyn is a phenomenon for the country fans! That innocence she projects until she starts to move and that growl comes forth! Love her! I watched her performance several times. I would go to her concert!

10. Paulo says:

RaeLynn? SERIOUSLY? This girl is REALLY bad. As in the worst singer left, worse even than Moses, I’m afraid, ’cause she’s also as annoying as annoying gets.
    Team Blake is always the WORST in terms of secondary contestants moving on.

11. Toia says:

I think Charlotte Sometimes suffered from the fact that she didn’t come off as very likeable in previous rounds. She shouldn’t be going home because of that, however.

I am shocked that Jermaine Paul is on to the next round cuz his performance last night was not it. But he came across as a nicer person.

It looks like the contestant video packages have a sway on the voteing. The father of 4 who had a bad performance gets through but the girl with an “attitude” and much better is on her way home. Just saying.

12. Forwarddad says:

Miranda Lambert tweeted to vote for Raelyn. That certainly helped. I hated the way she on purpose swore when she got the news. Don’t like Chris at all over the top.

• TheBeach says:

If Miranda did indeed tweet to vote for Rae-Lynn, that’s really not kosher.IMO

• Stacy says:

Come on, other stars never tweet their support for their faves? It’s a shout out, not a gun to their heads. People who don’t like her won’t vote for her. People might learn about her and look her up because of Miranda. There’s a difference.

• TheBeach says:

Uh, the difference is that Miranda Lambert is the wife of Blake Shelton, who is suppose to be neutral and equally supportive of each of his team members. This whole thing may be just a rumor with no substance. I really hope that is the case.

• guest says:

Not fair for stars to have their fans vote by tweeting them. This made Javier win last year over Dia (Beiber, really!) Yet Dia is the one who has done well, not Javier. VERY UNFAIR. I won’t continue to watch this show if this goes on……..

13. Sam says:

I pretty much disagree with all of you opinions every week. Lindsey was HORRENDOUS last night. Jordis is amazing and has not had a bad night yet. Raelynn is a joke and Ashley has one of the greatest voices ever. I also LOVE Moses.

• Stacy says:

Completely disagree on Jordis. She has been hit and miss thus far. Even when her overall vocals bring it, there’s something I can’t put my finger on that is lacking in her performance. I think she’s more forgettable.

• FreeHaley says:

Lindsay was awesome!
      I’ll agree about Ashley with you for sure though.

• uncmick says:

I agree about Jordis and she was the #1 seller on iTunes following Monday’s performances.

• sherimoonzombie says:

Agree about Jordis being a disappointment, She was phenomenal when on Rock Star, but her voice and overall presence (that whiff of desperation) have taken a hit since then. She hasn’t delivered anything on the Voice that begins to touch “The Man who Sold the World” from Rock Star.

14. Tiff says:

Yeah, I’m pretty much convinced that Charlotte Sometimes was voted off because of her personality, because she killed it last night and in every other performance. Tonight she just got too emotional. I’m so upset. There go my votes for Team Blake. Christina’s team is definitely the best at this point – I’m fairly certain that Lindsay or Jesse will take it home this year.

15. JT says:

Kinda sad Moses didn’t get through because he seems like a sweetheart and could’ve been fun to watch as his singing got better. Oh well….I voted for Erin and Jermaine because despite yesterday’s performance, I think he’s really good. The song choice did him no favors what so ever and honestly, I think even if he hadn’t been voted through, Blake would’ve saved him. Can’t wait for next week! Excited to see Jamar and James. And for other Erin and Chessa to be OUT!!

16. Debbie M says:

Totally bummed that Charlotte is not advancing while Jermaine is. I am a huge country music fan, and I cannot stand RaeLynn’s voice. Cannot imagine that she got by on America’s votes. At least the voters got it right with Lindsey and Erin.

• Tarc says:

Exactly. Jermaine had the worst sing I’ve heard on any show this year. And he went through instead of Charlotte (best of that team this week)?

• Claire says:

I fully agree! If either Lindsey or Erin win I will be soooo happy. Lindsey is so creepy and shy it’s such a captivating performance. But yeah, RaeLynn…she didn’t even really sing, it was just a lot of growling and …yeah not great at all

17. Jack says:

Charlotte Sometimes has limited talent and a truly sad name. Jermaine Paul is an incredibly talented vocalist, although I’m not a huge fan of his ego or his style. Jordis was amazing with tonight’s “Wild Horses.” Naia Kete has promise, but ultimately fell flat far too often to advance. Sera Hill is generic.

Also, Michael, you said in last night’s recap that Chris Mann had some pitch problems… do you even know what that means? As a musician of over 20 years, I can tell you that he had far fewer pitch problems than Charlotte Sometimes has had in every performance.

• 30CamdenSquare says:

I agree that Jordis sounded amazing tonight singing Wild Horses. She got the save because the other girls faltered and she just came out tonight and took it.

I also agree that Chris Mann didn’t have pitch problems. However, besides the fact that he sounds like an opera singer trying to sing pop music (which I can get past). He mangled the melody in “Bridge Over Troubled Water’s chorus with ill-placed runs (on water mainly) to the point that it didn’t sound like BOTW anymore.

• TheBeach says:

Sho nuf, I’ll bet Blake let out a huge sigh of relief tonight when Jordis sang. Picking her was a no-brainer and it let him off easy.

• CX says:

I totally agree, especially with your comment about Michael’s judgement of Chris. He has no pitch problems and is a terrific singer. I do think he still needs to learn how to sing pop – softer lower registers, whisper tones, vibrato-less full voice. He can totally do it.

• Larali says:

I must agree with each and every comment you made. Charlotte = limited, completely agreeing, she should have studied more and practice a few years before trying. Same with Naia, she is interesting but not quite ready yet. Jermaine might do a better job – me no like his ego… maybe he’s trying too much? I am clapping cause of your comment on Chris!!! nice to agree with someone!! haha

18. TinyTim says:

Why does everyone say these people would have never made it on Idol? Making it on Idol means nothing today, even Idol winners have bombed in album sales.

BTW RaeLynn gave a better performance than any of the idols last week. She has as much stage presence as all those “idols” combined. Even the guy kicked off said he would watch the Voice.

• 30CamdenSquare says:

Of course sometimes they release albums that go platinum too.

If you think RaeLynn gave a better performance than anyone on Idol last week than I’m guessing you’re either:

a) Her dad
      b) Someone that likes country and only country and likes her more than Skyler
      c) Another relative who owe’s her dad a large sum of money
      d) experiencing intense hallucinations as a result of heavy drug or alcohol abuse or perhaps as the result of a mild stroke.

That was Hee Jun & I think he was making a joke. He’s funny like that.

• TheBeach says:

LMAO !!

• TinyTim says:

I just don’t see any of this years Idols selling platinum albums, kind of like The flops from Cook, Allen and Dewyze. Once a couple years pass these people are left high and dry by their fan bases.

• omfug says:

Cook and Allen weren’t “flops” only poor Dewyse can truly be called a failure, both Cook and Allen still have recording contracts.

• 30CamdenSquare says:

Really my point was that the Top 9 show on Idol was really strong, & I didn’t hear anything particularly compelling about RaeLynn’s performance. I’m not a country fan, for the most part, though so if you’re hearing something you really like, in her voice, then that’s great.

• uncmick says:

or e) the multitude of buyers who made her #2 of all the Monday night performances on iTunes.

• Kee says:

Are you tone deaf? Raelynn is a talentless Skylar Laine.

• Justin says:

You thought Raelynn’s performance was better than Elise’s “Whole Lotta Love?” REALLY? lmao

• TinyTim says:

Have you ever listened to Led Zeppelin? Yes that Whole Lotta Love was average at best. And she is not a rock artist so that was a waste of time.

• FreeHaley says:

Oh come on, Elise’s Zeppelin blew her out of the water 1000x over!

• TinyTim says:

Did you guys see Idol tonight? It was like 9 trained monkeys performing, and none of them did as good as the original. Sorry folks but I can’t see any of them filling a stadium much less a decent size venue as an artist.
        Ashley de la Rosa did better than that group on her elimination song without all the coaching and hand holding.

• 30CamdenSquare says:

Ashley’s Monday night performance was strong but if Christina had based her decision solely on the elimination songs, then I think she would’ve picked Sara over Ashley.

• Paula says:

I agree! Elise’s Led Zeppelin was fantastic!

19. allie08 says:

Michael – love your blog and have been a fan for a long time but please stop the double negatives “didn’t not” is painful. I get what you are trying to say but it is like nails on a chalkboard……

Grammar police aside, I’m ok with most of the picks tonight. I’d prefer Charlotte over Jermaine but I am glad that Jordis got another chance. Not b/c of her work on this show however. She was far better on Rockstar. One more bad song and she needs to go. VERY happy to see Lindsey was voted in as well.

20. TinyTim says:

Chris Mann has pronunciation problems while singing, he emphasizes the first part of a word instead of the end and when going into his high notes loses the word altogether. He also has a strange accent when he does his opera voice while singing English, all of that makes him seem pitchy.

Compare that to Bocelli who sings it cleanly even in English.

21. Julianne says:

Naia Kete’s “Turning Tables” is the only song I would consider downloading this week. She seems so sweet, and her voice is so unique.

• Gale16 says:

I definitely agree 100%. I love NAIA. Raelynn is the worstttt!! I can’t believe America voted for her. Are Americans having hearing problems?????

22. Whimsical says:

I don’t know what you were listening to, because Ashley gave the second best performance of the night- second only to Jordis. She deserved to be saved, and I’m so glad she was.

• Joe says:

Totally agree with you. When I saw Slezak not endorse Ashley’s selection I think his crush on sassy diva Mary J wannabe Sera Hill got the best of him. If you read his posts enough you know he likes certain types and diva-licious is one of them.
      Ashley was possessed tonight and sang great. Jordis also killed it tonight. They both deserved the saves. Charlotte, who I liked a lot, got screwed by Alicia Keys backup singer getting through. How that happened off one of the worst performances to open any live singing reality show is beyond me. I’m glad he’s getting a 2nd chance, but he really didn’t deserve it at the expense of another contestant.

• Deena says:

Absolutely. Ashley sounded great both nights & deserved to be saved.

23. s says:

Yay, Lindsey and Ashley. They are the only 2 I like that made it through. They are the only ones who even sound current as well. The others are either boring or sounded karaoke zzz. And I agree Idol is way better…

24. MK says:

I’m very glad that Blake saved Jordiss and delighted that all the coaches chose her. Her rendition of Wild Horses was beautifully done, far better than the other two females on Blake’s team. Both look alike and sound alike. And as Tim said…THIS is the Jordiss I remember from Rockstar. I found it ironic when Carson said she had the most itunes downloads that she was in the B3. I’m looking forward to hearing more Jordiss like she sounded tonight and Michael…I am betting that’s why she’s still around…because people remember her from Rockstar and how great she was.

I just think she feels she is getting up there in age and her chances are getting less and less. Perhaps she was totally relaxed tonight. Who knows? But she sounded awesome.

I would never have imagined Jermain would be safe. He was, IMO, one of the worst.

On Xtina’s team…Jesse and Chris were the right saves. Can’t remember who else was safe. That’s how good I thought they were. I thought Sera was the best of the three who sang for their safety. Moses…oh my ears bled. He was so off key it was hurtful. So far Blake in my book has the lead.

I will always root for Jordiss because I believe in her. I know she’s got it.

• 30CamdenSquare says:

What Carson said was that Jordis hit #1 on the itunes rock chart. That doesn’t mean much though. On the overall chart, she peaked in the low 90’s, which was about 6th or 7th best out of the 12 contestants.
      Chris Mann & Jesse Campbell both reached the 70’s
      Charlotte Sometimes reached the 60’s at least
      Realynn peaked in the low 50’s.
      And Lindsey reached at least #23 this afternoon.

Those are the ones I remember. I think Ashley may have charted as well, but not very high.

25. Manola says:

Michael, my theory is that people didn’t vote for Charlotte Sometimes because nobody likes a villain, and she acted like an ass with the sparring partner Lex. That, and she is not particularly pretty

26. FreeHaley says:

Happy with the judges saves.

But Chris staying on team Xtina and Sera going home was an absolute travesty! Opera singers doing pop, DOES NOT WORK (nor does, for the by far most part, pop singers doing opera, not unless they have super strong projecting voices and can switch over) not unless they are willing to change up their style, most are not, and just sound bland, boring and awful as pop singers, I mean even the three tenors were generally awful when they tried to do pop.

I agree that Jermaine was a bit weak, but Naia didn’t do so well and Charlotte Sometimes wasn’t that amazing either so I don’t know that you can argue that he didn’t belong.

Ashley was NOT grim! She totally brought it and has amazing stage presence. Listened to her studio of the other night’s song and it was really solid, definitely one of the very top few studio recordings from the other night. So glad she got saved.

But again, Sera sooo wayyy deserved it over Chris. I’d have taken her over Jesse to be honest too.

Glad that Lindsey was saved by the audience though, that was cool (her performance).

• marie says:

Not sure whether this comment will end up in the right place but it’s in response to FreeHaley’s post-
      Couldn’t agree more about opera singers attempting to sing pop; most of the time it really doesn’t work. I know of one exception that proves the rule: operatic soprano Renee Fleming (and unlike Chris Mann, is truly is a world-class international opera star with a career of many years singing leading roles in the premier opera houses of the world) has released both an album of art songs/standards and a rock album and both are magnificent, but only because she is that very rare opera singer who is totally able to “switch off” her operatic voice and sing in a completely different style and with appropriate fechnique for a different genre. Most really can’t seem to do that, and the results are strange and unsettling and sound off.
      Anyway, evidently he has enough people enjoying him that he has made it this far, but he’s my Sanjaya on this season’s Voice.
      I’m glad Lindsey and Erin made it through. Indifferent to the rest, pretty much.

27. FreeHaley says:

I have to say they made an hour long results show a lot more compelling than the Idol results which just drag on for like six hours without anything happening.

• Connie says:

That is so true!!! The hour flew by and didn’t drag like Idol does and they don’t have stupid ford commercials!!!!

28. Renee says:

Agree w/most of comments here. I was glad Jordis pulled it out – the Rockstar is back! I’ll miss Naia – she may not be for everyone but I think she has more creative potential than many still with us.
    Mostly I’m irritated by production issues. Last year The Voice seemed to flow really smoothly, but the last two eps have had two big problems – first, the sound mix was terrible (Iuckily the band didn’t overpower the contestants tonight tho I’m still not sure what that GCH train wreck was at the beginning – was that poor Ryan Tedder wandering lost in the midst of the horror? This hot mess is not something I would ever expect when Paul Mirkovich is the MDir.
    Also, don’t feel we’ve gotten consistent amt of judge’s commentary – perf night it seemed like some got all four judges comments – others only two and really abbreviated. (And I was really appreciating judges feedback in batle rounds – even Xtina! – sometimes they just said ‘neither perf was great’ and explained why – that’s refreshing. Tonight Carson Daly was limiting some to saying ‘one name’. Unlike Idol, I turn into the Voice for the judges (usually) interesting feedback – not primarily to listen to Carson or see who’s texting backstage or family reaction shots.. Hope they figure out their sound issues and timing of show b/c this week was a big disappointment for those of us who have come to expect more from the Voice.

29. Pat says:

Ashley was the only person that picked an uptempo song, was cute, and sang it well enough.

The audience loved her and I thought she deserve to move on over Sera who sang decent but was mind-numbingly boring.

Jordis sang the best out of a pretty weak trio from Team Blake so I was fine with her sticking around as well.

30. dkd says:

What I thought was really interesting is that, if you looked at the iTunes ranking of the artists, you would have been sure that Charlotte Sometimes was safe. Her record sold. There was no sign of Chris Mann on the iTunes charts.

So, it must have been the non-iTunes votes that made the difference. I really think that being willing to actually BUY a song should count for multiple votes than a phone call or online vote.

• Julianne says:

Chris and Charlotte aren’t even comparable, they’re not on the same team.

• FreeHaley says:

Yeah I was looking the performance night at number of votes for their singles and Chris had like nothing, Jermaine not much, Jesse not a ton, so it must be the 50-year old mom crowd voting like mad for Chris or something.

31. Jason says:

I think Jermaine beat Charlotte because people know that Bon Hovi song and the girls probably split votes!!! Blake voted on last night plus Jordis hit number one on the rock chart! Alone wasn’t that bad! Youre just comparing to the Iraheta, Underwood and Smithson!!!

32. Jason says:

Oh and Ashley wiped up the floor with those other two!!! That was a no brainier!!!

33. Chris says:

Jordis Unga: ” I don’t see how her body of work merits a save” . My sentiments exactly. She better step it up.

Sera Hill: Would have, could have, SHOULD have saved this one.

Lets see what we can get out of CeeLo and Adam….

34. Chris says:

In regard to show comparison American Idol, The X Factor, and The Voice why would you not compare? Don’t we all compare shows ie: The River versus Grimm or Alcatraz versus any other of the 15 crime based shows?

Start your own column. Don’t criticize a ‘critics’ column. He has a right to his own opinion just like you. If you don’t like that he might or might not be comparing show dynamics, move on. It’s really that simple. I appreciate Michael’s time and insight and the forum he supplies to all of you. I think there are some things that American Idol does very well, I think there are some things The Voice does better, and I think The X Factor (US) excels over both of them in other ways.

As a music fan I appreciate them all.

35. PFitzDC says:

Michael–
    I agree with you 98% of the time on your Idol picks, and most of your Voice picks. But you are sooooooo wrong about Jordis Unga! Yes, Wild Horses was the best work she’s done on this show, and it’s probably because it’s the first time since her audition that she got to pick the song. But you shouldn’t discount that “Alone” went to the top of the rock singles chart on iTunes on Tuesday.

Do I wish that both she and Charlotte had been America’s pick over the unctuous Jermaine and shouty RaeLynn? Absolutely. But there’s no question that Blake made the right call.

Go Jordis!

36. James says:

Looking forward to next week for Team Adam as a whole (seriously, why can’t Mathai, Tony Lucca, and Pip all make it to the finale), Jamar Rogers (seriously great vocalist and performer . . . and Idol picked Danny Freaking Gokey over him), and Erin Martin (because she’s hilariously awful and will probably sing something completely unsuitable for her voice, like Nicki Minaj’s “Superbass” or Guns ‘N’ Roses’ “Sweet Child O’ Mine”).

37. Justin says:

I have no clue why people are screeching over Charlotte’s elimination. Her performance last night is probably the absolute worst thing I’ve heard on this show yet. Good riddance.

38. Natalie says:

Honestly, I don’t get all the Jesse Campbell love out there. He’s got a great singing voice, but all the emotion of a pet rock. I personally thought he should have gone home during the battle rounds…Anthony out sang him, especially with the falsetto and on the emotional side. After Mondays ‘What a Wonderful World’ I was bored to tears at the utter lack of emotion. He relies too heavily on his killer voice and forgets to actually connect to the songs he’s singing. I’m not a fan and I hope he doesn’t win the whole thing like the judges seem to predict. I actually liked Jermaine Paul’s version of ‘Livin on a Prayer’. He sang it beautifully though the arrangement would have been better served to have more R&B flare. Poor Charlotte Sometimes, but that version of ‘Iris’ was dismal. I’d have picked Jordis based on the final performances hands down. I also really feel bad for Moses Stone. He was the true underdog. Most judges thought he shouldn’t be there because he’s a rapper and I liked rooting for him to succeed against the odds. I personally think Ashley’s voice just isn’t unique at all. Her singing rock music is just strange and rather unpleasant.

39. darcy the slutty twin says:

Charlotte Sometimes – Now I know what Carly Smithson looks like with a disintegrated jaw and how Carly sounds like when she’s drunk.

40. mia says:

I was really bummed that Charlotte Sometimes got kicked out, as I really enjoyed hearing her sing. Such a unique sound (dark and creepy) and I loved her performance.

And I’m not a huge fan of country, but I enjoyed RaeLynn. She really upped the energy level and owned the stage. She was having fun so I had fun. I wish the band hadn’t been so loud though so her voice could come through.

Dislike Chris Mann so much. He can sing, but he’s so technically there is no uniqueness to his voice. That said, I’d totally buy his christmas album if he put one out.

41. tony says:

Raelynn bad,,, Blake sucks,,,, something’s wrong with that guy.

42. gary says:

Charoltte got kicked out because her comment on Lex, but Lex was the one who gave dirtty dirtttty looks on Charoltte. Lex was starring and giving her looks all the time. And, she is saying”justice is served and bitter still “blah oh her twitter? people saying,,, now it is closed,,, raelynn is really bad. charoltte has every right to be mad.

43. syb says:

“Post to do” was glaring, and I knew it would be fodder here in Michael’s column and comments, but it didn’t really bother me that much. I’m kind of sorry he’s gone in a season with so many sound alikes and lesser thans.

Very sorry Charlotte Sometimes didn’t make it through. I loved Jordis on Rockstar, but she’s trying to be a pop diva now, and I find her boring. She has a nice voice, but she’s just so generic.

44. Philip says:

I liked Jermaine a lot! Bad song choice, but he can sing for real!

45. Fernando says:

I’m so glad Cristina saved Ashley.

46. Habibi says:

I genuinely prize your piece of function, Fantastic post.