Exclusive

Exclusive: Awake Gets Two-Hour Finale Date

NBC’s Awake will wrap its rousing freshman run with a two-hour finale landing in the heart of May sweeps, TVLine has learned.

The back-to-back episodes will air Thursday, May 17, from 9 to 11 pm, meaning the series will have aired all of Season 1 uninterrupted.

Awake Star: ‘Michael Goes Into a Bit of a Tailspin’

At last tally, Awake had dipped in the ratings (opposite NCAA tournament coverage), but from all accounts, Season 1 will end with a bang.

“When people get to the end of the season, you’ll realize you’ve been holding your breath for a few weeks,” series star Jason Isaacs told me. “The last few [episodes] are just firing on all cylinders.”

Added his TV wife Laura Allen, “The last three [episodes] are quite a ride.”

This week’s installment, airing Thursday at 10/9c, happens to be one of Isaac’s favorites, as it plays with “every permutation of what you can do with this guy,” he said. “We make him unconscious as often as possible, and we do it in every way you can dream of. Knocked out, getting medicated, being drugged against his will….”

Oh, and there are penguins in the episode. And people love penguins.

How have you been enjoying Awake? Are you among those holding out hope that it, like Grimm and Smash, will earn a Season 2 pick-up from NBC?

1. Scott says:

Awesome show…. really hope NBC is smart enough to bring it back next season.

2. ultimate777 says:

Okay, oldleftie, “All in the Family” : I do not recall if the pilot was the first epiode broadcast. Anyway I am sure I saw it as a repeat. AITF is one of my all time favorites. However, it was obvious that Edith was much less dererential to Archie in the pilot than in the rest of the series.

Now STTOS: Also one of my favorites. The pilot was aired well into the first season. Spock always had huge grin in the pilot and was almost giggly IIRC. The producers, or whatever, alerted the public to this in advance.

In those days, I think, pilots were often never aired, and seldom were the first episode.

For instance, “Lost in Space” had two pilots. One was much different than the show in general. I saw it at the Museum of Broadcasting or whatever in NYC. I don’t know that it ever aired.

And in the first episode of “Mary Tyler Moore” Rhoda had a much different personality.

• oldleftie says:

I’m not sure that there’s any way to compare today’s tv with that of the 20th century. Too much has changed. AITF was a groundbreaking series in the US, but it was, after all merely the americanization of a British sitcom which of course ran without commercial interruption or the need for sponsor support. I’m not sure what else you’re using the pilots to refer to. Where Awake’s pilot is concerned, I think that you have to hold the writers responsible for keeping the show consistent with the premises established in it, especially on as crucial an issue as Hannah’s knowledge that Michael is “dreaming” of Rex. For that matter, it should give her some reason for concern that Michael may be wondering if she is in fact the dream.

By the way, you know that this whole series’ premise is that old comment from Chinese philosophy,

So there you have it. I will continue to watch Awake, but I will continue to point out what I believe are its shortcomings until the writers get their act together. If you and others want to cut them slack, that’s your privilege.

Oh, have you been watching “The Killing”? Now, there’s a show that’s constrained with the same format restrictions (one hour, commercial breaks, etc.) as “Awake”, but has managed to avoid obvious contrivances. And the lead character is every bit as good.

In my opinion, of course. Heh.

3. oldleftie says:

Oh, and Tone…. Have you watched “American Horror Story”? I don’t know where it is going, but I’ll tell you one thing, this is a show the “Awake” writing team would do well to watch. It has so many of the elements of uncertainty and surprise they could be using, and a consistency that is exactly what the “Awake” writing team needs to study if they want to fix the holes in their series. Steven King could not do it better.
    In my opinion, of course. Heh.

• Tone says:

I haven’t seen it, but I hope the Awake writers do their own thing, and don’t try to write this as another show. I think we are meant to be confused. That some things may seem illogical to us now, doesn’t mean plot holes. But by all means, keep complaining about this, I’m sure the Awake writers get a good laugh out of reading your comments.

4. amelia says:

Loving this show! Great concept, so many different story avenues to go down, very refreshing. Hoping for season two!!

5. ultimate777 says:

oldleftie, I have been familiar with “Once upon a time, I, Chuang Chou, dreamt I was a butterfly, fluttering hither and thither, to all intents and purposes a butterfly. I was conscious only of my happiness as a butterfly, unaware that I was Chou. Soon I awaked, and there I was, veritably myself again. Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.”
    for decades. One reason why I watch the show.

I suspected you were a UKain. I’ve always wanted to see that show AITF was adapted from. I wonder if its available on DVD in the USA? When I have time I will try to find out

6. ultimate777 says:

I would like to interact with mental health professionals on the internet about “Awake” and “Dexter” does anyone know where I can do so? As for “Awake, ” I am particularly anxious to to see their takes on what the shrinks say to Michael in the therapy.
    For instance, in particular, now that they where Michael is coming from, is it professional to expect Michael to take their word as gospel? Don’t they have enough empathy to know that is not called for?

As for “Dexter” you would need to be familiar with it to know where I’m coming from. If you’ve seen it, we can discuss it.

7. ultimate777 says:

oldleftie, are you familiar with “Dexter?”

• oldleftie says:

have watched the entire series. One of the reasons I was disappointed in “Oregon” since the serial killer shares so many traits with Dexter, right up to using the hypo.

8. M.J. says:

I love this show! Intelligent and fascinating,acting and writing are terrific. I need toknow what’s happening!! I think that both worlds are real — some kind of parallel realities. What do you guys think?

9. ultimate777 says:

oldleftie, and to whom else this may concern, isn’t “Dexter” great? I can’t wait until the start of the next season. Man, oh, man, WTF is Debra going to do? Gosh almighty, to quote Chester Reilly, “What a revoltin’ development this is!” Dexter won’t kill her but her situation might.

I am interested what mental health professionals think of her shrink practically encouraging her to seduce her adaptive brother, Dexter.

I also interested if Debra spills all to her shrink if the shrink is ethically compelled to rat out Dexter instead of maintaining confidentiality as per usual?

A Ukain nurse I know in the mental health field says she is, but I would like more opinions from people in the know.

10. SAM TYLER says:

the show should get a second season. but ITS NOT A REALITY SHOW, AND YOU HAVE TO USE YOUR BRAIN TO WATCH . IT WONT MAKE IT , life on mars abc great show did not make it . I AM DONE WITH TV!!!!!!!

11. oldleftie says:

I hope that many of you are as disappointed with the last episode as was I. It lacked even the semblance of a connection with the main attraction of the story arc, and even judged as a simple police procedural, was mediocre.

Oh, btw, those of you who keep harping on NBC’s lack of interest in renewing worthwhile shows, both “Grimm” and “Smash” have been renewed, and “Grimm” is looking like everything one would wish that “Awake” could be.

I have a great idea. Do any of you remember when the detectives from “Homicide” paid a visit to NYC and appeared on “Law and Order”? Ultimately, Richard Belzer moved from the former to the latter.

So, maybe, since we know that the Dexter clone from Awake was heading off to Portland, as is Michael, maybe he should join the Portland police force, and end up as a character on “Grimm”.

heh.

• jon gablein says:

I disagree so strongly. I believe this is truly the best show on TV right now. You loving Grimm and Smash just proves that there are different strokes…..2 I’m not so fond of. It’s a shame that they ae giving up so quickly.

12. Janie Carson says:

This show is really impressive and incredibly well written and acted. I love that I don’t really know what is happening and that it is evolving over the season. Hope it’s renewed!!

13. jon gablein says:

This is DEFINITELY the best show on television at this moment. The writers were able to take a typical cop show and put such an amazing spin on it. The premise not seen EVER and yet I just read they are canceling. CBS does not have a very strong list of shows on their schedule. 30 Rock and Parks & Rec (the second not my cup of tea but a solid show none the less) are it. Sometimes you need to ride it out. They need to do their jobs…get exposure for the show, sell the premise, it’s incredible! These networks are all so quick to quit. The acting is remarkable, the story lines are riveting. I just don’t get it. It’s intense and engaging. You are playing dectective on your own throughout the whole program. Unexpected twists are an occurance in EVERY episode. If people aren’t watching, it is UNEQUIVICALLY the fault of the network. The viewers need to do something. Another great show lost. They have got a formula here and should not be so ignorant. They are going to lose out in the end when a cable network picks this up and it gains the cult following it deserves.

• oldleftie says:

you do understand that by being so unequivocal in your review, you render your opinion liable to being thought of as being so insufficiently critical as to have been either ill thought out or purchased, right? Did you even bother to read the prior comments, or are you simply one of those who feels that this medium allows for persons who have no desire to learn in community to simply express their opinion without fear of consequence? Please do not misunderstand or think I am being insulting; it’s just that what you wrote adds nothing to the discussion but an expression of your taste. And if you truly think that Awake! with all its plot contrivances and inconsistencies is “the best show on television at this moment” in comparison to shows like “The Killing”, “Grimm” and “Once Upon a Time”, not to mention “Game of Thrones” and “Dexter”, then you should really consider taking some time out before you post again under what I presume to be your own name, rather than risk ruining your credibility beyond any ability to rehabilitate it.

• Tone says:

I thought Jon Gablein expressed his opinion very well. It was simple, and straight to the point. Reading his comment was a lot better than reading your novels that compares Awake to every random TV show on the planet (most of them has nothing in common with Awake other than being TV shows). Watching TV 24-7 doesn’t make you an expert. Try having a more open attitude towards other people.You may learn something.

• oldleftie says:

I’m disappointed in you, Tone. I gave you credit for a higher dedication to both civil discourse and critical thinking. Any time you would like to meet face to face and debate the issue, let me know. I won’t hold my breath. I expect that you are probably as young or close to as young as Mr. Gablein, and hope that once you graduate from high school you will have learned to behave. I started working in TV in 1956, and count among my friends and colleagues a number of present stars. That you are so desperate for attention that you have to make such unsubstantiated claims as I watch TV 24/7 is indicative not of my failings, but of yours. I gave you respect, you returned respect with insult. Shame on you. Grow up.

• Tone says:

I’m sorry about the 24/7 remark, I assumed if you actually have seen all these TV series, it means that you watch tv a lot more than the average person. And sorry if I hurt your feelings, but I tried your own medicine on you, and you apparently didn’t like it. Now if you want to discuss this series, I’m happy to join in. But you have to loose the aggressive attitude first, and treat people here with respect no matter how stupid or young you think we all are. If you feel the need to attack people that don’t agree with you, it’s because you are insecure about your own opinions. People aren’t stupid because they don’t agree with you. It means that they see the case differently. And even if people come here just to express how much they liked the show, they should be able to without you jumping on them.You aren’t expressing anything more than your own opinion no matter how well documented you think it is. The way you go on now, you are preaching, and not discussing. Now, I try to adress this with you because I think you want a constructive and fourishing debate, but you are actually killing it with your attitude. Of course, if you just want to argue, and call people stupid and immature, I won’t be wasting my time.

14. Kerry says:

My husband and I love the show Awake ! Really hoping it gets picked up again.

15. Rob Gordon says:

NBC should have been more patient with this. This is the most entertaining mystery/drama show of the past year and the most clever since Lost. Only other shows I have found as entertaining this year are Game of Thrones on HBO and SMASH. Will someone please rescue this show!!!!

• oldleftie says:

how does one rescue this show now that Britten is “awake”? Do we make the last episode a dream within a dream again? The show was doomed by the writers who made the same mistakes with it that they made with “The Event”, allowing improbabilities to pile on inconsistencies which were already piled on contrivances. The premise of the show required very special handling because it impacts on our subconscious sense of logic. One can ask for too great a suspension of disbelief, and the consequence is failure.

16. Vicky Damou says:

I love this series… There’s a lot of suspense and when he woke up from and his wife and if you’re watching it and really listening to it you will understand it… Some people are just negative about things. I wonder if you give them just a tiny script to write or event something if they ould be able to do it. I love this series Thumps up for evryone behind it….