Glee Sneak Peek: Matt Bomer and Darren Criss Cover Gotye's 'Somebody I Used to Know'

Get More: First Look, Glee

Looks like there’s tension brewing at Chez Anderson!

In a sneak peek from Glee‘s April 10 episode (8/7c on Fox), New Directions’ resident prepster Blaine and big brother Cooper (Darren Criss and guest star Matt Bomer) cover Gotye’s supercatchy breakup anthem “Somebody I Used to Know” in the McKinley High auditorium. And based on the brothers’ angsty expressions and the moody lighting throughout the performance, methinks the siblings’ issues run deeper than that mid-scene flashback of Cooper taunting grade-schooler Blaine by dangling an action figure over his head.

After watching the clip twice, three things stick in my brain: Bomer’s vocals sound pretty terrific; I definitely buy these guys as brothers; and I seriously want Blaine to unbutton that top button on his supertight polo shirt. Come to think of it, maybe that’s the source of the family fued!

Check out the Anderson Bros. take on Gotye below, then hit the comments and sound off with your thoughts on the performance!

Comments (97)

• orgasm

Comment by amandareynolds – April 3, 2012 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Gross. But not inaccurate.

Comment by wordsmith – April 3, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Assuming you’re into that sort of thing.

Comment by wordsmith – April 3, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ha – my thoughts exactly.

Comment by rachelleet – April 3, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes. Jesus. I’m not a big Blaine fan but that was so hot.

Comment by Dryden – April 3, 2012 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds good, looks good. I like it.

Comment by J – April 3, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Whoa, that was pretty terrific! I’m a big Matt Bomer fan from White Collar but I didn’t know he could sing like that. Did you notice the tricep flex Darrin did about mid-way through the song? The boy has definitely been working out.

Comment by TheBeach – April 3, 2012 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This cements that they are both bound for super stardom. I may have to lift my ban on this show to watch that episode.

Comment by hmmmm – April 3, 2012 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i was thinking exactly the same thing! but then i thought about it, and whatever storyline i make up for them in my mind will definitely be better that what’s on the show, so now im not so sure. but we’ll see. maybe.

Comment by Tine – April 3, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is exactly how I feel. Uncanny. I just said to someone, “I really want to see Matt Bomer on Glee. But, I am pretty sure the episode in my imagination will be better than what will air.” Ha!

Still, this scene was good. Maybe it wouldn’t be too awful.

Comment by Mindy – April 3, 2012 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I might actually tune in as well, even though I have banned the show since season 1.

Comment by Danielle H – April 3, 2012 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bomer’s vocals are pretty awesome! He needs to sing on “White Collar,” like going undercover or something…..Totally buying this song

Comment by Ella – April 3, 2012 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He did sing in one episode of WC, with June. I don’t remember which episode, but it was when an old friend of June’s was in town, and MB’s character was suspicious of him.

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch – April 3, 2012 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There’s also a HILARIOUS bit on one of the DVD blooper reels where they record him singing to himself off in a corner between takes. Headphones on, just going at it full-blast, no idea they’re rolling. Priceless.

Comment by wordsmith – April 3, 2012 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah I totally think so too… I’m a big fan he’s super hot!!!!

Comment by diamond – August 13, 2012 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bomer is good. I and the world need him to sing more. I will watch Glee just this once.

Comment by Maureen Hallissey – April 3, 2012 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The first Gloria Estefan complaint arrives in 3…2…

Comment by lauren – April 3, 2012 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You go girl. So in tuned to the Estefan rant club.

Comment by yep – April 3, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So angsty! Could their issues stem from Blaine being gay? Maybe he wasn’t supportive at first, and Blaine is having a hard time letting that go? I love DC and MB, and I think they sound amazing. I also love the song choice. And of course they are crazy attractive. :)

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch – April 3, 2012 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i literally started hyperventilating in the school library!! i cant wait for this episode!!!!

Comment by rush – April 3, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bomer >>>> Criss

Love White Collar, I started watching it about a week ago and am already at season 3. Definitely watching this episode just for Bomer. Didn’t know he had such a great voice!

Comment by kavyn – April 3, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just when I thought I couldn’t love Matt Bomer any more. DEAR ME THIS LOOKS FANTASTIC.

Comment by Elizabeth – April 3, 2012 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AMEN to that Elizabeth! I’m with you 100%

Comment by Deena – April 4, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dear Darren Criss. Please watch this clip, and take particular notice of what Matt Bomer is doing in relation to what you are doing. HE is acting. YOU are making clown faces.

Comment by dee – April 3, 2012 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? I was going to say that it’s kind of the first time I like Darren’s acting while in song. Poor guy, he can’t get it right! I thought both him and Bomer were pretty good.

Comment by boom – April 3, 2012 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me too, actually. I really liked his performance here… for the first time I think he did a good job. We have yet to see about the rest of the episode, but he was strong during this song.

Comment by J – April 3, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Seriously? He looks like he’s straining to take a particularly large dump. That’s usually how he looks when he’s “emoting,” come to think of it. Still waiting for someone to teach him the concept of “less is more.” Suspect I’ll be waiting a very long time.

Comment by dee – April 3, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I think you’re the one who’s exaggerating.

Comment by J – April 3, 2012 01:31 PM PDT
          • i think maybe that’s just cuz his expressions are exaggerated by him also trying to drop his jaw to sing. he’s got good open vowels syllables.

Comment by CX – April 4, 2012 01:15 AM PDT
        • Matt Bomer and Darren Crisss are fantastic singing and interacting in this duet. I don’t watch GLee but will definitely catch this episode. Darren displayed the proper amount of emotions here. I hope Matt will guest in another episode(s) of GLee in the future. They have good chemistry.

Comment by Whitney – April 7, 2012 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously. Excellent comment.

Comment by Ari – April 3, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agreed! Darren’s exaggerated facial expressions while he sings is incredibly annoying.

Comment by jb – April 3, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It depends on what he’s singing. A cheesy show choir number calls for exaggerated facials. For this, probably not. But I still love him.

Comment by Em – April 3, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’d argue that at least he makes actual facial expressions while performing. Much as I love this show, that’s not always a given.

Comment by wordsmith – April 3, 2012 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Even when they’re wildly inappropriate and/or exaggerated for the emotion of the song/scene? I’d rather he be blank, personally.

Comment by dee – April 3, 2012 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you Dee. Darren Criss just exaggerates things beyond the realm of believability, which makes him look like a ridiculous cartoon. Someone needs to teach that boy that LESS is MORE. I’ve never felt like his acting on this show has been anything but overdone.

Comment by Mellie – April 3, 2012 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And I will be downloading this and listening to it on repeat forever. I have always loved Darren’s voice, but Matt’s is amazing as well.

I totally buy them as siblings and can’t wait to find out what is happening! Wish this episode was on tonight!

Comment by hann789 – April 3, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree with everything you have said. I love Matt Bomer, and I think they chose a perfect song!!

Comment by Jessica – April 3, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bomer is great but Darren Criss – I can’t stand his face!

Comment by laurel nickles – April 3, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So the gay one is playing the straight brother and the straight one is playing the gay brother…at least we know they both have range. Not to mention great voices.

Comment by T – April 3, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you for making me laugh. I was thinking that as well…

Comment by Theo – April 3, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would watch Matt Bomer doing nothing more than sitting in a chair for hours looking gorgeous. Having said that, he’s a great actor and singer, so I’ll tolerate Glee for the pleasure of seeing his performance on it.

Comment by mgbhighlander – April 3, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would KILL to have Matt Bomer’s hair !

Comment by TheBeach – April 3, 2012 10:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I’ve been losing interest in Glee all season but I am SOOOO looking forward to this episode. Especially since I am having White Collar withdrawal.

Comment by Deena – April 4, 2012 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great, now, Cooper take your shirt off and sing again

Comment by Lorena – April 3, 2012 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • to prefer it to be Zachary Levi from Chuck series

Comment by leticia – April 3, 2012 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • actually the voice of Zachary Levi and incredible saw him sing at oscar

Comment by sarah – April 3, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My guess is that you and “leticia” (above) are the same person since 1) the two comments were posted within three minutes of each other, 2) neither of you believes in capital letters, with the exception of the name “Zachary Levi” and “Chuck,” 3) neither of you believes in punctuation of any kind, and 4) you both randomly mentioned Zachary Levi when this has absolutely nothing to do with Levi or his TV show. Good day.

Comment by Angel – April 4, 2012 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hands down, Matt Bomer, will probably be THE best guest star this show will ever have thus far. Damn the guy can sing! They better bring him back again. Forget Rory, Sugar, that new christian dread lock guy (forgot his name), and all these other irrelevant filler characters. Focus on original characters and bring back Bomer!!

Comment by A – April 3, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I prefer the voice of Zachary Levi of Chuck series fleece want glee

Comment by brenda – April 3, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to see Zachary Levi of Chuck series

Comment by amanda – April 3, 2012 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds amazing. Looks like this will be good. So ready for 4/10 to come to see Matt as Blaine’s brother.

Comment by yep – April 3, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, their harmonies (like on that last “I used to know”) sound so good! Great voices (and such gorgeous guys…!) Getting Matt Bomer to play Blaine’s brother is just the hottest thing ever. XD

Comment by Cy – April 3, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to see Zachary Levi glee in his voice and incredible !!!

Comment by Raiane Farias – April 3, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree I totally buy these two as brothers! I kind of wish Bomer would have sang more in the song. lol

Comment by Robin – April 3, 2012 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They go perfect together. Really awesome.

Comment by Seyhan – April 3, 2012 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Were they unable to pick a song that wasn’t so clearly about ex-lovers?

Comment by Josh – April 3, 2012 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Glee makes terrible song choices. Like when Rachel and her mother sang Poker Face. Really that is the song you are going to sing with your mom? I’m embarrassed to even have it playing in the background when my mom is in the car with me. Now this. Glee only cares about selling music not having the music make sense.

Comment by Captain Hammer – April 3, 2012 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • my thoughts exactly. i mean, this will seriously generate some f-ed up sh*t in the crazy corners of the glee fandom… i don’t even want to know…

Comment by Jess – April 3, 2012 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I once again like Glee’s version better then the original!! It helps that DC and MB sound great together and I know Matt can do no wrong sooooo, Loved it!!

Comment by Suz – April 3, 2012 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That was great! And I agree about the button.

Comment by Amanda – April 3, 2012 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am rooting for an incest storyline. Maybe the Game of Thrones writers can help!

Comment by Al – April 3, 2012 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt Bomer is incredibly talented – and easy on the eyes ; ) Now, it’s Zachary Levi’s turn to appear – also incredibly talented singer – and easy on the eyes!

Comment by Susie – April 3, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe Cooper can teach Blaine how to act and not dress like clown schools professors closet barfed on him. BTW Boomer doesnt need to be a good singer can they just have the entire episode of him staring all smolderly like?

Comment by Addie – April 3, 2012 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Older one looks like Superman!

Comment by nellycooke@hotmail.co.uk – April 3, 2012 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Matt Bomer could be my Superman…any day!

Comment by TheBeach – April 3, 2012 10:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I believe he was in the running for the role in Superman Returns but Brandon Routh got the part. I think he would have been perfect.

Comment by Deena – April 4, 2012 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not a fan of Glee but I am tempted to watch. I would love to see Zachary Levi to appear he has a great voice they need to do a duet, he could appear on White Collar as an old friend of his (ha ha).

Comment by Tom – April 3, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • …. Do you think they realize they’re basically asking the slashers to write incest?

Comment by Julie – April 3, 2012 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • omg, Matt Bommer is a god!! this song/ song choice is amazing, their performance is amazing, the emotion is amazing, i’m actually excited to see this episode!! Matt Bommer is ethereally gorgeous!!

Comment by rachelle – April 3, 2012 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why is everyone complaining?? yes, the song is about ex-lovers, but if you listen to the words (at least in this video) they can totally translate to their relationship!

Comment by rachelle – April 3, 2012 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • finally! songs can interpreted in many ways depending on the context. I mean if they were paying attention to the video they would have noticed the flashback to their interactions when they were young. Plus we know that they have been sort of estranged or have a complicated relationship, so the title fits that concept.

Comment by A – April 3, 2012 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt Bomer just keeps getting more delicious. I love, love, love him!

Comment by Grace – April 3, 2012 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • See I don’t want Blaine to unbutton the top button of his shirt…I wouldn’t mind if Matt Bomer just took his shirt off altogether. They both sounded terrific together. I would watch this episode for Matt’s characters name alone. Cooper Anderson (seriously too funny)!!!

Comment by Shannon – April 3, 2012 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would not mind it one bit to have Matt Bomer’s babies.

Comment by megan – April 3, 2012 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was great, and actually an apropos song that seems to fit in with the theme (rather than just a pop song flung in)

It’s unfortunate that the auto-tune is so obvious- both Bomer and Criss have fantastic voices on their own! Why ruin it….

Comment by etc – April 3, 2012 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt Bomer looked and sounded great. Darren hogged too much of the song and screen time and didn’t look or sound as good as Matt.

Comment by O – April 3, 2012 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was so fantastic. I love Mat Bomer so much. I don’t mind Darren but I will agree his facial expressions tend to be over the top. However, Chris Colfer (who irritates me beyond belief in his role) has the WORST facial expressions on the show, the way he pulls his lips in when he sings makes me unable to watch him sing.

Comment by Carrie – April 3, 2012 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Matt bomer!!!! I wish he wasn’t gay, he’s soo hit nd I loved this song! I hope he comes back!!! And takes his shirt off.

Comment by Shana – April 3, 2012 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i haven’t got chills from a glee performance in so long but i got major major major goosies from this. for sure gonna download this from itunes!

Comment by adriannoronha – April 3, 2012 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m hoping when they put it on itunes that they will extend the song a bit with Matt singing more.

Comment by TheBeach – April 3, 2012 10:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Matt’s voice. He sings so well. I wish he would have sang more. I hope they do find a way to bring him back so he can sing some more.

Comment by Eliza – April 3, 2012 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dang I am so behind on Glee and was waiting until the season was over to catch up through Netflix but now that there is a whole episode full of Matt Bomer goodness I might have to watch it even if I will be a little confused story wise.

Comment by Amanda – April 3, 2012 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve lost count at how many times i’ve watched this :D

Comment by Shannika – April 3, 2012 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am obsessed with this song. I was worried that a Glee version would be terrible. But, it is better than what I expected. The auto-tune is still obnoxious, but I don’t think it is ruining the song. The original still has way more style, character and emotion, though. Curse you, Auto-Tune!

Comment by Mindy – April 3, 2012 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely needs more Matt Bomer in this song….I like Blaine but he basically took over the entire song…I hope Matt gets to sing more throughout the episode.

Comment by Corinne – April 3, 2012 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post