Glee Sneak Peek: Matt Bomer and Darren Criss Cover Gotye's 'Somebody I Used to Know'

Looks like there’s tension brewing at Chez Anderson!

In a sneak peek from Glee‘s April 10 episode (8/7c on Fox), New Directions’ resident prepster Blaine and big brother Cooper (Darren Criss and guest star Matt Bomer) cover Gotye’s supercatchy breakup anthem “Somebody I Used to Know” in the McKinley High auditorium. And based on the brothers’ angsty expressions and the moody lighting throughout the performance, methinks the siblings’ issues run deeper than that mid-scene flashback of Cooper taunting grade-schooler Blaine by dangling an action figure over his head.

After watching the clip twice, three things stick in my brain: Bomer’s vocals sound pretty terrific; I definitely buy these guys as brothers; and I seriously want Blaine to unbutton that top button on his supertight polo shirt. Come to think of it, maybe that’s the source of the family fued!

Check out the Anderson Bros. take on Gotye below, then hit the comments and sound off with your thoughts on the performance!

1. J says:

Sounds good, looks good. I like it.

• TheBeach says:

Whoa, that was pretty terrific! I’m a big Matt Bomer fan from White Collar but I didn’t know he could sing like that. Did you notice the tricep flex Darrin did about mid-way through the song? The boy has definitely been working out.

2. hmmmm says:

This cements that they are both bound for super stardom. I may have to lift my ban on this show to watch that episode.

• Tine says:

i was thinking exactly the same thing! but then i thought about it, and whatever storyline i make up for them in my mind will definitely be better that what’s on the show, so now im not so sure. but we’ll see. maybe.

• Mindy says:

This is exactly how I feel. Uncanny. I just said to someone, “I really want to see Matt Bomer on Glee. But, I am pretty sure the episode in my imagination will be better than what will air.” Ha!

Still, this scene was good. Maybe it wouldn’t be too awful.

• Danielle H says:

I might actually tune in as well, even though I have banned the show since season 1.

3. Ella says:

Bomer’s vocals are pretty awesome! He needs to sing on “White Collar,” like going undercover or something…..Totally buying this song

• He did sing in one episode of WC, with June. I don’t remember which episode, but it was when an old friend of June’s was in town, and MB’s character was suspicious of him.

• wordsmith says:

There’s also a HILARIOUS bit on one of the DVD blooper reels where they record him singing to himself off in a corner between takes. Headphones on, just going at it full-blast, no idea they’re rolling. Priceless.

• diamond says:

Yeah I totally think so too… I’m a big fan he’s super hot!!!!

4. Maureen Hallissey says:

Bomer is good. I and the world need him to sing more. I will watch Glee just this once.

5. lauren says:

The first Gloria Estefan complaint arrives in 3…2…

6. So angsty! Could their issues stem from Blaine being gay? Maybe he wasn’t supportive at first, and Blaine is having a hard time letting that go? I love DC and MB, and I think they sound amazing. I also love the song choice. And of course they are crazy attractive. :)

7. rush says:

i literally started hyperventilating in the school library!! i cant wait for this episode!!!!

8. kavyn says:

Bomer >>>> Criss

Love White Collar, I started watching it about a week ago and am already at season 3. Definitely watching this episode just for Bomer. Didn’t know he had such a great voice!

9. Elizabeth says:

Just when I thought I couldn’t love Matt Bomer any more. DEAR ME THIS LOOKS FANTASTIC.

10. dee says:

Dear Darren Criss. Please watch this clip, and take particular notice of what Matt Bomer is doing in relation to what you are doing. HE is acting. YOU are making clown faces.

• boom says:

Really? I was going to say that it’s kind of the first time I like Darren’s acting while in song. Poor guy, he can’t get it right! I thought both him and Bomer were pretty good.

• J says:

Me too, actually. I really liked his performance here… for the first time I think he did a good job. We have yet to see about the rest of the episode, but he was strong during this song.

• dee says:

Seriously? He looks like he’s straining to take a particularly large dump. That’s usually how he looks when he’s “emoting,” come to think of it. Still waiting for someone to teach him the concept of “less is more.” Suspect I’ll be waiting a very long time.

• J says:

I think you’re the one who’s exaggerating.

• CX says:

i think maybe that’s just cuz his expressions are exaggerated by him also trying to drop his jaw to sing. he’s got good open vowels syllables.

• Whitney says:

Matt Bomer and Darren Crisss are fantastic singing and interacting in this duet. I don’t watch GLee but will definitely catch this episode. Darren displayed the proper amount of emotions here. I hope Matt will guest in another episode(s) of GLee in the future. They have good chemistry.

• Ari says:

Seriously. Excellent comment.

• jb says:

agreed! Darren’s exaggerated facial expressions while he sings is incredibly annoying.

• Em says:

It depends on what he’s singing. A cheesy show choir number calls for exaggerated facials. For this, probably not. But I still love him.

• wordsmith says:

I’d argue that at least he makes actual facial expressions while performing. Much as I love this show, that’s not always a given.

• dee says:

Even when they’re wildly inappropriate and/or exaggerated for the emotion of the song/scene? I’d rather he be blank, personally.

• Mellie says:

I agree with you Dee. Darren Criss just exaggerates things beyond the realm of believability, which makes him look like a ridiculous cartoon. Someone needs to teach that boy that LESS is MORE. I’ve never felt like his acting on this show has been anything but overdone.

11. hann789 says:

And I will be downloading this and listening to it on repeat forever. I have always loved Darren’s voice, but Matt’s is amazing as well.

I totally buy them as siblings and can’t wait to find out what is happening! Wish this episode was on tonight!

12. laurel nickles says:

Bomer is great but Darren Criss – I can’t stand his face!

13. T says:

So the gay one is playing the straight brother and the straight one is playing the gay brother…at least we know they both have range. Not to mention great voices.

14. mgbhighlander says:

I would watch Matt Bomer doing nothing more than sitting in a chair for hours looking gorgeous. Having said that, he’s a great actor and singer, so I’ll tolerate Glee for the pleasure of seeing his performance on it.

15. Lorena says:

Great, now, Cooper take your shirt off and sing again

16. leticia says:

to prefer it to be Zachary Levi from Chuck series

17. sarah says:

actually the voice of Zachary Levi and incredible saw him sing at oscar

• Angel says:

My guess is that you and “leticia” (above) are the same person since 1) the two comments were posted within three minutes of each other, 2) neither of you believes in capital letters, with the exception of the name “Zachary Levi” and “Chuck,” 3) neither of you believes in punctuation of any kind, and 4) you both randomly mentioned Zachary Levi when this has absolutely nothing to do with Levi or his TV show. Good day.

18. A says:

Hands down, Matt Bomer, will probably be THE best guest star this show will ever have thus far. Damn the guy can sing! They better bring him back again. Forget Rory, Sugar, that new christian dread lock guy (forgot his name), and all these other irrelevant filler characters. Focus on original characters and bring back Bomer!!

19. brenda says:

I prefer the voice of Zachary Levi of Chuck series fleece want glee

20. amanda says:

I want to see Zachary Levi of Chuck series

21. yep says:

Sounds amazing. Looks like this will be good. So ready for 4/10 to come to see Matt as Blaine’s brother.

22. Cy says:

Wow, their harmonies (like on that last “I used to know”) sound so good! Great voices (and such gorgeous guys…!) Getting Matt Bomer to play Blaine’s brother is just the hottest thing ever. XD

23. I want to see Zachary Levi glee in his voice and incredible !!!

24. Robin says:

I agree I totally buy these two as brothers! I kind of wish Bomer would have sang more in the song. lol

25. Seyhan says:

They go perfect together. Really awesome.

26. Josh says:

Were they unable to pick a song that wasn’t so clearly about ex-lovers?

• Captain Hammer says:

Glee makes terrible song choices. Like when Rachel and her mother sang Poker Face. Really that is the song you are going to sing with your mom? I’m embarrassed to even have it playing in the background when my mom is in the car with me. Now this. Glee only cares about selling music not having the music make sense.

• Jess says:

my thoughts exactly. i mean, this will seriously generate some f-ed up sh*t in the crazy corners of the glee fandom… i don’t even want to know…

27. Suz says:

I once again like Glee’s version better then the original!! It helps that DC and MB sound great together and I know Matt can do no wrong sooooo, Loved it!!

28. Amanda says:

That was great! And I agree about the button.

29. Al says:

I am rooting for an incest storyline. Maybe the Game of Thrones writers can help!

30. Susie says:

Matt Bomer is incredibly talented – and easy on the eyes ; ) Now, it’s Zachary Levi’s turn to appear – also incredibly talented singer – and easy on the eyes!

31. Addie says:

Maybe Cooper can teach Blaine how to act and not dress like clown schools professors closet barfed on him. BTW Boomer doesnt need to be a good singer can they just have the entire episode of him staring all smolderly like?

32. Older one looks like Superman!

33. Tom says:

I’m not a fan of Glee but I am tempted to watch. I would love to see Zachary Levi to appear he has a great voice they need to do a duet, he could appear on White Collar as an old friend of his (ha ha).

34. Julie says:

…. Do you think they realize they’re basically asking the slashers to write incest?

35. rachelle says:

omg, Matt Bommer is a god!! this song/ song choice is amazing, their performance is amazing, the emotion is amazing, i’m actually excited to see this episode!! Matt Bommer is ethereally gorgeous!!

36. rachelle says:

why is everyone complaining?? yes, the song is about ex-lovers, but if you listen to the words (at least in this video) they can totally translate to their relationship!

• A says:

finally! songs can interpreted in many ways depending on the context. I mean if they were paying attention to the video they would have noticed the flashback to their interactions when they were young. Plus we know that they have been sort of estranged or have a complicated relationship, so the title fits that concept.

37. Grace says:

Matt Bomer just keeps getting more delicious. I love, love, love him!

38. Shannon says:

See I don’t want Blaine to unbutton the top button of his shirt…I wouldn’t mind if Matt Bomer just took his shirt off altogether. They both sounded terrific together. I would watch this episode for Matt’s characters name alone. Cooper Anderson (seriously too funny)!!!

39. megan says:

Would not mind it one bit to have Matt Bomer’s babies.

40. etc says:

This was great, and actually an apropos song that seems to fit in with the theme (rather than just a pop song flung in)

It’s unfortunate that the auto-tune is so obvious- both Bomer and Criss have fantastic voices on their own! Why ruin it….

41. O says:

Matt Bomer looked and sounded great. Darren hogged too much of the song and screen time and didn’t look or sound as good as Matt.

42. Carrie says:

This was so fantastic. I love Mat Bomer so much. I don’t mind Darren but I will agree his facial expressions tend to be over the top. However, Chris Colfer (who irritates me beyond belief in his role) has the WORST facial expressions on the show, the way he pulls his lips in when he sings makes me unable to watch him sing.

43. Shana says:

I love Matt bomer!!!! I wish he wasn’t gay, he’s soo hit nd I loved this song! I hope he comes back!!! And takes his shirt off.

44. i haven’t got chills from a glee performance in so long but i got major major major goosies from this. for sure gonna download this from itunes!

45. Eliza says:

I love Matt’s voice. He sings so well. I wish he would have sang more. I hope they do find a way to bring him back so he can sing some more.

46. Amanda says:

Dang I am so behind on Glee and was waiting until the season was over to catch up through Netflix but now that there is a whole episode full of Matt Bomer goodness I might have to watch it even if I will be a little confused story wise.

47. Shannika says:

I’ve lost count at how many times i’ve watched this :D

48. Mindy says:

I am obsessed with this song. I was worried that a Glee version would be terrible. But, it is better than what I expected. The auto-tune is still obnoxious, but I don’t think it is ruining the song. The original still has way more style, character and emotion, though. Curse you, Auto-Tune!

49. Corinne says:

Definitely needs more Matt Bomer in this song….I like Blaine but he basically took over the entire song…I hope Matt gets to sing more throughout the episode.