Ratings: Game of Thrones Return Sets Record

Get More: Ratings, Uncategorized

HBO was crowned king of the ratings Sunday night, as Game of Thrones kicked off its second season with record numbers.

The fantasy drama’s much-hyped premiere attracted 3.9 million viewers, its largest audience to date and a 53 percent increase over the show’s Season 1 average.

With Sunday’s encores factored in, Thrones reached a gross audience of 6.3 million viewers on Sunday.

Comments (20)

• yay! i enjoyed the first episode (although the picky reader inside me did roll her eyes a couple of times) so can’t wait for next episode!

Comment by jess – April 3, 2012 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s already out ;) They done a pre-air, just check out HBO’s site.

Comment by Aaron – April 3, 2012 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • well deserved.

Comment by logic – April 3, 2012 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go Thrones! I had a feeling this would grow season to season like True Blood. So glad it did!

Comment by DL – April 3, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’m happy that we are seeing more of the direwolves this season.

Comment by V – April 3, 2012 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no surprise there lol

Comment by Jake – April 3, 2012 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news! Love this show.

Comment by Larissa – April 3, 2012 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed episode BUT they are telling too many simultaneous stories and none seem to get enough attention.

Comment by Jay – April 3, 2012 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jay have you read the books? Its even worse in the books! I stopped reading them about 3/4 of the way through the 4th on. I could not keep up with all the storylines and people.

Comment by chris yarborough – April 3, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I guess you’re not much of a reader then. I love the books and didn’t have a problem with all the characters. It’s like reading 5 books at the same time, but if you pay attention it’s easy to keep track of what’s happening.

Comment by Joanne – April 3, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Hey Joanne, be nice! I’m a fan of the books too, but they’re certainly not for everyone. I’m sure Chris isn’t the only one who found them hard to follow, and in my opinion that doesn’t say anything about how much of a reader he is. Good for you Chris for making it as far into the series as you did. Book 3, “A Storm of Swords” is a real whopper of a tome.

Comment by DL – April 3, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s quite true to the books in that regard. It often feels like reading “War and Peace” with the amount of characters (I admit to using the glossary far too many times in the beginning). That said, they are each connected in the growing spiderweb of kingdoms.

Comment by Jen88 – April 3, 2012 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’re always going to have to juggle a lot of stories, but I think this episode was structured this way specifically — to remind the viewer of all the characters and plot lines.

Comment by Michelle R. (@MsMichelleR) – April 3, 2012 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! See what happens when you let a show BUILD an audience. Didn’t this premiere last year to like 500,000 or something?

Comment by YowzaPowza – April 3, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I believe it was just over 2 million. :P

Comment by DL – April 3, 2012 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woot! Amazing show is amazing :)

Comment by Eliza – April 3, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad for GOT! It’s truly well-deserved. :)

Comment by Samara – April 3, 2012 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hurray for quality television!

Comment by Aleksa – April 3, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There wasn’t enough Arya in this episode for me tbqh.

Comment by K. – April 3, 2012 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really good premiere and I’m really happy to see such great numbers. Eagerly awaiting this weeks new episode. Working on Clash of Kings right now so don’t want to watch early. I really like how reading the books and watching the show are both supplementing each other nicely.

Comment by G – April 5, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post