Dancing With the Stars Season 14 Week 3 Results: Did the Right Couple Go Home?

“No one deserves to go tonight,” Len Goodman solemnly declared at the top of this week’s Dancing With the Stars results-show telecast. But the head judge’s plea to the producers fell on deaf ears, replied self-proclaimed buzzkill Tom Bergeron, and the ritual procession to the guillotine continued as planned.

Before the axe was swung, though, Tom did give the judges a reason to celebrate: “After next week, and then for the subsequent three weeks, the bottom two couples will dance simultaneously for the judges, who will then decide who goes,” he revealed. (Sidebar: Is this a wise move to ensure talented couples don’t suffer shock eliminations too early in the season, or merely a power grab by the show’s producers to guarantee their pre-ordained pets get to continue on in the world’s sparkliest dog-and-pony show?)

Dancing With the Stars Performance Night Recap: Crying Games

Whatever your take (and I’m inclined to go with option B) here’s how the results played out:

In Jeopardy
Gavin DeGraw and Karina Smirnoff
Gladys Knight and Tristan MacManus
Jack Wagner and Anna Trebunskaya

Dancing With the Stars: Who’s Most Likely to Win Season 14? Check Out Our Pre-Season Odds!

Bottom 2 Couples
Gavin DeGraw and Karina Smirnoff
Jack Wagner and Anna Trebunskaya

Jack and Anna

“Simple gratitude: It’s been such a great ride,” said Jack, when asked what he was feeling at the end of his DWTS run. “I had a great time, and it was fun to kind of test myself.”

What do you think? Did the right couple go home? If not, who should it have been? Sound off in the comments, and for all my reality TV recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. sam says:

sooooo thrilled that sherri and Val are safe! Rock week next week, wish they didn’t bring that back. All the dancers at this point are good

• Kim R says:

I agree…they are all good. And may I say…so glad Michael has written this article! :) He is what is missing from the recaps…. :)
      I wasn’t surprised Jack went home. Other than his addiction to sherbet colored outfits ;) I don’t think he really connected though he seems like a really nice guy. I find Gladys is just slow (no insult intended…I would be at a snail’s pace!) but everyone loves her.
      It is going to be a great season to watch. :)

2. Ruthi says:

Melissa Gilbert is awful, and her dancing is painful for me to watch. That being said, each week when she’s safe, I’m happy I get to see Maks for another week. I think he’s keeping her safe. The women of America know a hot man when we see one! I wouldn’t be surprised if the judges “save” (or whatever DWTS is calling it, ) isn’t to stop people like Melissa from advancing too far when they clearly aren’t as good as other dancers. Just like American Idol, Dancing has become more-and-more of a popularity contest every year.

• Laquisha says:

She’s not that bad. The judges have been pretty hard on her. She’s dancing with a very fragile back, remember. And the rumba portion of her jive was very good; it was just her kicks that were a little off. Not much better than Jack’s last week.

• Dan says:

She’s got a GORGEOUS set of girls. Would have liked to see them playing out on the Prairie. So I can live with her questionable vertical dancing skills. Besides, the show is overall very entertaining on multiple levels, but honestly, I watch it b/c of the babes — both pro dancers and the contestants, and there are always plenty of both. That is why I was sad to see Jack eliminated, because Anna is one of my fav pros.

• Beth R says:

I think Melissa is a great dancer, frankly I think her scores have been too low. Gladys is fantastic for her age, but let’s face it, she deserved to go home last night.

3. Elle says:

I thought it was weird that you could vote even before seeing the couple dance. That to me tells me it isn’t about the dancing *talent*.

4. Elise says:

All I need is just a little more time to be sure how dance…

5. Paula says:

I was surprised that Jack went home; I expected it to be Gavin or Melissa. They were all three about on par, as far as the dancing went.

6. protoscholar says:

This is such a harsh season. Historically there have been a few real stiff, unsuccessful dancers to clear out first. This year they are sending home people getting 8s. I don’t think it should have been Jack, though. Melissa, Gladys or Gavin would have made more sense to me.

7. Angela says:

I honestly thought Jack would last a little longer on the show. Ah, well. Shame, but no big issue for me one way or another.

8. Dan says:

At the end of the day, ends up largely being a popularity contest, garnering support & votes from whatever the viewing demographic happens to be, despite actual talent on display by the contestants.

9. MaryAnn says:

Jack did not deserve to go home. He was a much better dancer than Melissa and Gavin both. I really really like the idea of the judges deciding between the bottom two. They just should have started it a week earlier.

Also, I totally disagree with the people who say that the judges numbers are inflated this season. They just have a whole roster of very very good dancers, NONE of whom deserved to go home before week 4.

10. Michael says:

sherri need to go and now she making the show look bad

11. ashley says:

I think JACK was surprised to go home….

12. guest says:

I was not surprised that Jack went home!
    Sherri needs to go as well! Same with Gladys!
    Gavin has shown improvement and he should be around for awhile!!!!!

13. topsyturvy says:

Sherri should have been sent home for those over-the-top, pained, constipated facial expressions she made during dance. Mugging is not dancing.

Gavin is one sexy motherfricker. LOVE his smile.

Why does Tristan always get stuck with the older woman? Do they ever give those to Mark or Derek?

14. Lana says:

Love this years talent. This is the first time that so many stars can dance well, its fun and it makes sending anyone home hard. I do think Kathrine is the best but there are so many snapping at her heels. Its fun when everyone dances well but hard to make the decision of who goes home. It’ll be interesting to see who the judges will pick.

15. Diorite says:

I was appalled at the scores of a couple of the men. They didn’t dance, they just walked across the floor and stood while the female pro twirled and gyrated. Who am I referring to? Gavin and NFL dude. At least Jack Wagner was dancing. He should have stayed. Gavin, on bottom for the second week in a row, should have gone home.

16. cheryl says:

Melissa & Maks did great. Val & Sherri did great also. The Chermkovskiy brothers are awesome to watch & see how much effort they put until teaching their stars….. :-)

17. I was suggested this web site by my cousin. I am not certain whether this submit is written by way of him as nobody else understand such certain approximately my problem. You are amazing! Thank you!