CBS Extends Letterman and Ferguson Contracts in Deal That Puts Dave in the Record Books

CBS announced on Tuesday that it has signed both David Letterman and Craig Ferguson to contract extensions that will keep them hosting The Late Show and The Late Late Show, respectively, through 2014.

In fulfilling this agreement, Letterman — who made his late night TV hosting debut in 1982 — will become the longest-running late night talk show host in history. Johnny Carson holds the current record of 30 years.

As part of the deal, Ferguson’s Late Late Show will trade up to a larger stage at CBS Television City in Los Angeles.

Comments (24)

• LOVE Craig, this is great news.

Comment by Bonnie – April 3, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry, but Letterman already broke Carson’s record as being the longest-running late night host. Carson was 29 1/2 years (October 1, 1962 – May 22, 1992). Letterman has been on 30 years (February 1, 1982 – June 25, 1993 on Late Night and August 30, 1993 – Present). :)

Comment by Pat – April 3, 2012 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy for Ferguson & Goeff and secretariat who will have more space to gallop… :)

Comment by Jules – April 3, 2012 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great or Craig but I really don’t care for David at all I really hope by the time his and Conan O’Brian’s contracts both expire with there respected networks. I would love to see CBS bring Conan in to replace David if he retires in 2014 after is contract expires because I would really love to see Conan kick Jays ass in the ratings. Conan has gotten super funny the last few months

Comment by Matthew – April 3, 2012 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think so. After Dave, Craig will take his spot as he is the rightful heir.

Comment by niks – April 3, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yea I realize that but One can dream cant he I just don’t think Craig will be ready for that just yet when the times comes

Comment by Matthew – April 4, 2012 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Craig will get a change of view. Excellent news for him and his show!

Comment by Yvonne – April 3, 2012 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • woop! so happy for Craig! but now he won’t be able to make jokes about how cheap CBS is and how much the studio sucks LMAO

Comment by Deena – April 3, 2012 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Craig Ferguson still rules the Late Late Show. Wonder if there’s going to be a Drew Carey Show reunion sometime in the near future or perhaps he’ll make another showing on The Price is Right just like he did in the Season 38 premiere back in 2009.

Comment by bad kevin – April 3, 2012 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awwww, but I kinda like the small crappy studio… Still super happy for Craig and the gang though! He is certainly the best out there

Comment by DreamRose311 – April 3, 2012 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy for Craig! Late Late Show is one of the best on television.

Comment by Grace – April 3, 2012 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad that Craig is getting an upgrade. I don’t understand CBS. He is clearly the best light night man out there…why do they give him so little exposure?

Comment by Leah – April 3, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I grew up watching Carson. After he retired, my interest in late night went down and I only watched shows if one of my favorite stars was a guest. One night Craig had on a guest I really enjoyed, so I recoreded the show. As it turns out, that was the show the day after his father died and he did the entire show about him and his dad. It was amazing. Craig was straight and authentic and funny.

Now, Craig’s is the only show I enjoy – I don’t even watch Letterman or Leno even if they have guests on that I really enjoy because even their interivews with their guests are so predictable. One of the things I truly enjoy about Craig – besides Geoff – is that his interviews are really about nothing. He and the guest just sit around talking and then at the end, it’s like, “and oh, by the way, you have this new movie coming out.” It’s great to see the guests let their hair down and be themselves.

I wonder if Craig will get the bump up to Letterman’s spot simply beause the network may think he has an “Independent Movie” style compared to Leno or Letterman.

Comment by davej – April 3, 2012 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Craig Ferguson is terrible. Unfunny and obnoxious. I don’t understand how anyone could watch him.

Comment by Jason – April 3, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Clearly you are in the minority. Feel free to take a seat in the corner.

Comment by tripoli – April 3, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So how long have you been in Al-Qaeda?

Just kidding. Seriously, if he’s not your thing, fine, but many of us love how crazy and weird he is. I’m thrilled to hear his show’s being extended, and wow, being upgraded to a nicer place? I agree, part of the charm is him making jokes about his “basement studio”, but I’m sure he’ll find ways to have fun in a bigger stage, too.

Comment by Angela – April 3, 2012 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will Craig get lights now? Exciting!

Comment by Susan – April 3, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Craig!

Comment by Polly – April 3, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Craig! Wonder what kind of jokes we’ll hear now about all the space at the larger studio… I like his crappy, basement with a view :)

Comment by Angie – April 3, 2012 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When Craig gets a bigger studio, I wonder if he’ll get a house band. There will be room for one now. At the very least, the audience might get to stay when Craig has musical guests. Now bands perform in front of nobody. There’s no room for an audience when bands are there. I think that’s why he has musical guests so rarely.

Comment by Bob – April 3, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve been at a taping where the guest band performed for the audience…they had to move Craig’s desk off to the side & the band could hardly move. Great to see up-close but a bit smooshed, lol!

Comment by Sue – April 3, 2012 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ve also been to tapings where musical guests do their segments in front of an audience. Once two different groups performed for spots that aired on other nights. Will be nice to see Craig get an upgrade. (and btw, his studio is not in the basement, it’s upstairs, 3rd floor I think)

Comment by PJL – April 3, 2012 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • wow!
          it must have been very hard taking secretariat to the 3rd floor.
          such a pain for that poor little horsie. :D

Comment by Polly – April 4, 2012 12:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post