Cable Ratings: The Killing Premiere Takes a Hit, Shameless Ends Season 2 on a High Note

Maybe that backlash was much ado about something.

The Killing‘s second season premiere Sunday averaged 1.8 million viewers, down from the 2.3 million that tuned in for the controversial Season 1 finale last year.

An AMC insider notes, however, that when compared to last season’s average among the show’s core audience of adults 25-54, the episode was down a minimal .8 percent.

Elsewhere on the cable ratings front, Sunday’s Season 2 finale of Shameless garnered 1.45 million viewers at 9 p.m. and 2 million when counting in replays during the night, besting last year’s finale by 26 and 33 percent, respectively.

Ratings for Game of Thrones‘ Season 2 opener are expected on Tuesday.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Ratings

1. Syc0 says:

And what about Game of Thrones?

2. katiefans says:

I predict the ratings will continue to decrease every week. The show has devolved into a mess. It is boring & depressing, a bad combo.

• wrstlgirl says:

It’s definately messy and quite boring. It will depend on the competition whether or not I stick around for very long.

• TheBeach says:

The constant emphasis on the dark, rainy atmosphere coupled with a slow plot does make for a dreary show. I like a lot of things about the show but, man, I’m sure the sun appears at times in Seattle. Would it hurt to have a sunny day?

• DenverDean says:

Not in mid-October in Seattle. Remember these are consecutive days beginning Oct 2/3. The sun stops shining in Seattle end of September.

• martine says:

I think the Killing is just getting better and better. Its complicated, but thats the point. The plot is tight, and everything makes absolute sense. But I know people are used to crappy cop shows where crimes are solved with silly clues and worse logic in 30 minutes.
      Finally we get a show thats full of interesting grey shades, clues that don’t yield immediate silly results, and cops that act like cops really do. They don’t overstep their bounds, they don’t act like superheroes, they act like cops. I missed it last season, but I will be watching it every week this second season, and it has already gone up from its debut.

• Liam says:

Thank You! I’m so tired of all the complaints. Everyone is bitc*ing that they haven’t found who killed Rosie yet. As of the latest episode, its only been 21 days since the murder INVESTIGATION has began. Yes, they are actually investigating a murder. Everyone that is complaining should stop by their local PD and ask how long it can take to solve a murder. The people in charge of this show just want to make a realistic and emotional murder mystery. I for one am loving it.

3. MockingbirdGirl says:

Looking forward to catching up with it on my DVR; it had to take a back seat to GAME OF THRONES last night, I’m afraid! :-D

4. Chris says:

I hope The Killing’s low ratings of its second season premiere two hour episode didn’t have a negative impact on Mad Men’s ratings!

5. jasie says:

It was a great premier and good to see the real results between the finale and premier instead of matching it to the series premier last April. I hope it just levels out at that level going forward. I also think GOTs took a chunk out from it for its premier.

6. Britta Unfiltered says:

Haven’t they already come out and said the killer won’t be revealed until the end of season 2? The first season was so full of red herrings, and now we 100% know the second season will be like that as well, so what would be the point of watching the entire season if you knew every suspect that popped up wouldn’t be the real killer? That show doesn’t have enough pay off for me. Plus the pacing, oh my gosh. I’ve had a more interesting time sitting and watching my fish swim in his bowl. I’ve never considered myself to be the type of person who could be turned off by slow pacing on a show being that I love to watch shows like Mad Men, but I cannot take The Killing. It’s not a slam on the show or people who watch it, it’s just not my thing.

Speaking of Mad Men, episode 2 last night was just as b*tchin’ as episode 1 was last week. I did miss Joan though.

• SAM says:

Agreed! I can handle slow pacing and dreary scenery (for heaven’s sake, I watched all of AMC’s “Rubicon”), but this show is just too much. They lost me last season and I won’t come back.

7. bad kevin says:

I know why millions of viewers who didn’t catch up on the very first season may have put AMC unnoticed just like what the network did with Rubicon when it got canceled after just one season back in 2010.

8. Kat says:

Great premier. I’m in it for the long haul. Love this show!

P.S. Linden and Holder..please kiss and make-up. You’re a great team.

9. Superhero says:

AMC can try to spin it anyway they want to, but the fact is, the premiere should be one of the highest rated episodes this season will get (perhaps only beaten by the finale). For it to be as low as it is is certainly not a good sign.

10. Christine S. says:

I don’t like that the “backlash” is being directed JUST at the ending of the first season. We were jerked around A LOT, and the over-the-top ending was just, “enough already” for a lot of people. Not getting the mystery solved was just the last straw. And I don’t think tptb did themselves any favors by being so dismissive of the audience’s anger in all the media coverage after. The tone was very “how stupid of them to not ‘get’ what we were trying to do.

I really like the Linden character. That’s what kept me watching the first season and I’ll at least start to watch season 2. But I totally understand why half a million people told THE KILLING to kick rocks.

• Joe says:

My thoughts exactly.
      With all the red herrings, people were already disillusioned and hanging on until the ending to find out the killer. When the ending turned out to be another red herring, and now we’re told that we have to go thru 13 more episodes (of red herrings) to find out the killer, a large group of people won’t “hang on” any longer.

11. Christine S. says:

I meant to say, I don’t think it’s accurate to attribute the backlash solely to the finale. The backlash started early on in the first season.

12. James says:

I don’t get why there was any backlash to begin with. Was there ever any promise it would be resolved in one season? I don’t think so. If people were comparing it to the Danish version of the show they that is their own fault. Personally I watched and loved it last season, and when it didn’t end on the note that so-and-so had done it then I was frankly relieved that it would carry over into a second season.

For those saying that people were ‘jerked around’ – surely that is the POINT of a murder-mystery show?

• jasie says:

I agree. I liked that it wasn’t rushed in the last ep and I liked that we were not done with the amazing cast from season 1 that they’d all be back for two.

• smg77 says:

It wasn’t even the finale…it was the constant parade of ridiculous red herrings that popped up every two or three episodes. Thirteen episodes and the police were no closer to catching the killer than they were in the premiere. On top of that it was just boring…it was paced too slowly, there was too much rain and the second tier characters were annoying. It was just bad television and instead of admitting that there were problems the creator, Veena Sud, mocked critics.

• J Jones says:

Ow you mean like real life and how police actually solve things and how long it takes. Not like the csi’s of the world where DNA tests are back in an hour!

• smg77 says:

Not quite. Real life shows about police investigations (like The First 48) are much more entertaining than The Killing.

13. Kalie says:

What about the ratings for “Breakout Kings”?

14. sinisteravenger says:

The Killing is the most refreshing show on television. At this point all the complaints from the losers who can’t handle getting every detail shoved down their throats or can’t handle a slow burn approach make me appreciate it even more. It’s so exciting to have a cop drama show like this that doesn’t dumb itself down to appeal to the masses. The whiners should can go stick with Law and Order. That show doesn’t make you think and everything is wrapped up in a happy little bow every 42 minutes.

15. Holly says:

This show is just so poorly done. I want to like it, I swear. But ugh – the whole conspiracy thing is even worse than last season. It’s the worst conspiracy ever. They fake a photo, knowing well and good that the cameras are non-operational that the photo supposedly came from, even though that’s absolutely the first thing any reasonable defense attorney would check. Then, they fail to check Richmond’s alibi, which it took Linden 5 seconds to figure out when she put her mind to it. Then they continue to maintain the conspiracy, even though someone put Rosie’s bloody backpack on the Larsen’s doorstep, which is the third thing a defense attorney would be all over. I mean, it’s just silly. And don’t get me started on Richmond not telling his alibi b/c he was worried about suicide’s effect on the election, because that was just over the top silly. He could tell a D.A. he trusted, or one cop, it probably wouldn’t leak and suicide attempt still wouldn’t be as deadly to a political career as “arrested for killing teenage girl”. The acting is good. The concept is good. The direction and cinematography is even decent. But the writing is just awful.

16. Linderella says:

The show isn’t perfect, but the dynamic between Linden and Holder is worth watching. I’d like to know why she’s willing to stick her son in a motel room but not send him to stay with her ex while she works this case. They’ve already previewed the ex and he seemed to be okay with Jack. It also seems like they work 24 hours every day but then this is TV. I’m sticking with it but then again who killed Rosie Larsen is more or less after thought as far as I’m concerned.

17. Wouter says:

Shameless deserves more viewers. This season was soooo good. No other show made me cry like i’ve cried at the last 2 Shameless episodes. The show is both hilarious and really emotional.

18. Amanda says:

“The Killing”s premiere was so great!!! I never had a problem with last season and it’s still such a great show. I’m just sad now and afraid it’s going to be cancelled after this season. That’s just so sad and it makes me angry of the people who did give it up because I think they did too early. The writers never actually said we would find out last year. And in real life cases it usually takes longer than 13 days to figure out a murderer. I hope it gets renewed and I love watching Sarah and Holder as partners.

19. W says:

I distinctly remembered when the show was first announced last year, they said it would be a case of a season show with resolution by finale. obviously they lied/changed their mind because in all the interviews, the creator seemed to suggest it was their plan all along for it to be multi-season arc.

Then after all the backlash, AMC and producers announced that the case would be resolved by the first few eppy of season 2 and then new case wound be introduced. And then, when the firestorm came down, they announced once again that the case would be resolved by season 2 finale.

I’m guessing the writers had no idea how displeased the public would be and are now scrambling for closure that’d be satisfying.

20. smg77 says:

I’m really glad to see that the premiere bombed. After the disrespect that was shown to viewers and critics by AMC and Veena Sud last year this show should suffer a quick death.

21. Rjrtist says:

AMC is trying to spin a positive from a negative. They were looking for better ratings and now know it’s downhill from here.

22. J Jones says:

Of course totally ignored by all the haters is that everything including steadfast network shows were down on Sunday…

23. luke says:

This show is absolutely brilliant, from start to finish. Those of you who complain I don’t hold it against you. After years of being subjected to birdbrain shows like CSI, Criminal Minds, NCIS and the rest of course you will fall into the 7 minute commercial break crowd. It’s not your fault.

24. Lauren Maule says:

Yay for Shameless! I wish it was possible for us to get it earlier, January is sooo far away!

25. Von says:

While I couldn’t catch KILLING live last season, I’d planned to get the DVD’s–until I heard the fuss about the season ender. At that point, I lost any trust in the writers and wrote it off for myself. Viewers DO learn which show-runners we can trust, and which we can’t.

26. KwikStudy says:

Well, i enjoy The Killing but Game of Thrones is my preference and my husbands, as well. Shows like The Killing and Breakout Kings should never be put up against HBO. No one tried to beat The Sopranos or Sex and the City. They must have a similar fan base. But HBO’s budget, marketing, and the amazing response to GoT is hard to compete with.Then, there is the loyal fan base of ‘Once Upon a Time’ and ‘Desperate Housewives’. Don’t count this show out yet. I am going to watch it later, on DVR. I don’t like two hours of live TV because I’m spoiled, now.