Smash First Look Video: Frenemies Ivy and Karen Go Out for a 'Drink'

Get More: Exclusive, First Look, Video

It appears that Smash rivals Ivy Lynn and Karen Cartwright will curb their contentiousness at least long enough for a duet in the middle of Times Square — and TVLine has a first look at the entertaining détente.

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Smash (It’s Good News!) and More

The set-up for Monday’s episode of the NBC freshman: With Marilyn: The Musical in flux — seeking a high-wattage star, an actual title, etc. — Ivy has returned to the ensemble for Heaven on Earth (which apparently is headlined by guest star Norbert Leo Butz), while Karen is off filming a rather mortifying orange juice commercial. So who can blame the gals for letting loose after a long, hard, demeaning day with a rousing al fresco cover of Rihanna’s “Cheers (Drink to That)”?

That this truce lasts beyond the song’s final refrain is unlikely, alas. As Megan Hilty told TVLine, things between the gals are “going to get really bad, and then they’re going to get really nice, and then they’re go to get really bad again.The only thing you can count on is that it’s going to go up and down!”

Press PLAY below and share your thoughts on the pair’s performance. P.S. I am no stranger to the Mickey Ds in the background, though the service isn’t nearly as quick as the location on W. 42nd Street.

Comments (40)

• Honestly, I hope by season 2 they are friends/rivals. First I’m tired of the cattiness and I think it would be better character and story wise if they became friends but still had to compete.

Comment by Josh – March 30, 2012 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree to an extent but I also think the “first rivals then friends” plotline is way overused in television, especially when it comes to female characters. How many of those relationships already exist on television? Lyla/Tyra (Friday Night Lights), Qunn/Rachel (Glee), Annie/Naomi (90210), Casey/Rebecca (Greek)…etc

Comment by dude – March 30, 2012 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • not to mention, when a man and a woman start bickering at the beginning of a movie or show. How
        cliché.

Comment by rubytu – March 30, 2012 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The only reason i’m watching is because of the cattiness, I want a full cat fight a la “Dynasty style” in the next season.

Comment by Meow – March 30, 2012 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m tired of the cattiness too, but mostly I just wish it wasn’t so one-sided. I feel like Ivy’s being painted as a jealous jerk, and Karen’s being painted as St. Karen. There’s been hints of more depth in the characters like Ivy’s insecurities (particularly stemming from her relationship with her mom) and Karen’s betrayal in the recent episode, but I still feel like the show wants me to hate Ivy and adore Karen. If the show’s not going to portray the rivalry as double-sided, I’d rather they just take the friendship route like you suggested.

Comment by Julie – March 31, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That was amazing! Looked like so much fun, wish I could have been there :)

Comment by Carla – March 30, 2012 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • One of my favorite moments yet!!

Comment by Kathy – April 2, 2012 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why the heck is Ivy still in costume? Usually you leave the costumes at the theatre!

Comment by EveatEden – March 30, 2012 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, based on the epic tumble she takes on-stage (as seen in promos), I can see her storming or sulking out of the theater, not giving a fig.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – March 30, 2012 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Playbill.com offerred a behind-the-scenes look at the filming of this scene. So nice to see the finished product but what’s with that dated “Gypsy” logo?

Comment by Jasonbres – March 30, 2012 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is actually quite exciting to me. I like the show, but I hate their reliance on pitting everyone against each other. This is especially true of Ivy and Karen. It didn’t start out that way, and Ivy didn’t act the way they’re writing her now.

Comment by joshua. (@atlanticwasborn) – March 30, 2012 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash is a train wreck, so bad it’s like watching a seminar in ‘how not to make a tv show’. Even that will wear thin and soon I’ll be in Micronesia or counting salmon, LOFL.

Comment by nyguy – March 30, 2012 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nonsense. Run off and be a hater somewhere else.

Comment by Tarc – March 30, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • and yet you still come to see a sneak peak and take the time to comment, not sure why you would waste your time with something you supposedly do not like…

Comment by jenna – March 30, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, goodie, another random pop song staged in the most ridiculous possible way. I so wish they would stick to a plot about a Broadway show, with Broadway tunes.

Comment by susela – March 30, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • amen

Comment by yuni – March 30, 2012 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • EXACTLY! thankyouthankyouthankyou

Comment by Joseph – March 30, 2012 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, lighten up. It’s fun to see how many different ways they can find to inject music into the proceedings. With this many talented people in one place, why don’t you wish they’d find even more ways so we could enjoy them all? This is not “The Making Of Etc.” it’s a tv drama!

Comment by Groucho – March 30, 2012 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like smash but this is a really terrible version of Rihanna’s song

Comment by B – March 30, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There are good versions of Rhianna’s songs?

Comment by Tarc – March 30, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this! Looks great and they sound amazing. Glad they’re finding new ways to mix in the pop tunes. For a while we were getting a lot of Marilyn and it was great, but only showcased Ivy, with Karen singing pop tunes in random scenes that had no real purpose in the actual plot(though they were very enjoyable). This seems like a performance that causes something to happen with the dynamic between Ivy and Karen, which I can’t wait to see.

Comment by pc777 – March 30, 2012 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cannot wait!
    Go Karen.. Apparently they have a fight before that number. FInally Karen snaps back when Ivy continues to be an insecure bitch! I can´t stand Ivy anymore, always playing the victim.
    Enough already! Karen is so much stronger as a person than Ivy.

Comment by Titina – March 30, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Indeed….Katherine McPhee has it GOIN ON…and I mean GOIN ON….across the board. Love her character Karen, her voice is so versatile and angelic….only God could deliver such beauty, inside and out. It is safe to say that Miss McPhee has taken ME by absolute STORM…..YOWZA!!!! : o)

Comment by Paul Ross – September 13, 2012 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • #teamIvy.

Comment by ana – March 30, 2012 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lol from all the scenes this ep looks a lot of fun,what with this, the big musical number and Karen in her green body suit!

People are taking this show way too seriously. Yeah maybe it hasn’t lived up to the quality overall that the pilot promised, but its a lot of fun still and I’m enjoying it for what it is.

Also cute to see Ivy and Karen having a fun time together for a change (however long it lasts!). Ivy has become so bitter and depressed recently its actually nice to see her having a good time. Again it won’t last! I kind of much prefer these 2 as friends also!

Comment by #devneedstogo – March 30, 2012 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You have the best user name ever. I totally support your cause. Dev needs to go! Especially now that Ivy and Karen are bridging the gap towards understanding and tolerance if not friendship. No more cringy scenes with Dev, lets see more interaction with Ivy that isn`t just passive-aggressive:

Ivy: “I hate you!”

Karen:”But I think you`re great!”

Ivy:”I hate you even more!”

type of intercation they`ve been feeding us with for so long.

Comment by hurricansmith – March 30, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s up with Karen’s Mister Roger’s sweater?

Comment by Standing Blogger – March 30, 2012 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know how many ways to say this…I LOVE KATHARINE MCPHEE. Megan is great in her role, but katharine’s voice – OMG …it’s like listening to an Angel sing….she is just so beautiful. I’ve got the biggest crush on her.

Comment by Nick in PA – March 30, 2012 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Katharine is fantastic! I’ve loved her voice from when I first heard it in her Idol audition. So glad that we’re still getting to hear her sing even though she didn’t get the role of Marilyn. She’s the reason that I checked out Smash in the first place and I’m so glad I did. Can’t wait for next week’s episode!

Comment by Jen – March 30, 2012 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I COMPLETELY AGREE!!! Kathrine McPhee is my all time most favorite singer now! She’s absolutely amazing and they need to throw all the songs she’s sang in the show on itunes so I can BUY THEM!

Comment by Ke'ani – March 30, 2012 11:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We’re sorry, but the clip you selected isn’t available from your location. Please select another clip. :(

Comment by Chris Halarewich – March 30, 2012 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here’s how you fix Smash in 5 easy steps

5) Musicals are inherently cheesy. Embrace it. Every time you try to shoehorn in a logical reason why someone is singing (gone to Karaoke for the sixth time in 2 shows, cutting a demo, bar mitzvah- and the less said about Rock Band, the better) you come across as being embarrassed that you’re a musical show. Look, face facts- the people who would get irritated about someone singing in the street while random passerby break into spontaneous dance- those people are already NOT watching. All your cringing, whining, and begging (“See, It’s LOGICAL that they’re singing! Please accept it! Please! It’ll be over soon, we promise!”) does is make me embarrassed for you.

You’re a musical show, dammit! Be Loud about it! But most importantly, be PROUD about it. (And to be fair, you’re getting better at this, if the bowling alley scene from last week and the above clip are any indication.)

4) More good songs- Less bad dialog. Cheers by Rhianna runs almost 5 minutes- we got 90 seconds. “Brighter than the sun” (easily the best thing you’ve done so far) runs 3:55- we got 90 seconds. I promise you , you could’ve easily cut out enough bad dialog for full versions of each of those songs, and the show would’ve been nothing but better for it.

3) More pop/Broadway- less original songs. And no repeats without a COMPELLING reason. Sorry Tom and Julia, but the Marilyn songs, while not bad, are simply not good enough; and we’ve heard them HOW many times already?

Anne Hathaway wants to guest star in an episode because she’s trying out for the show, fine. She can sing “Let me be your star”. Otherwise, I never want to hear it again- it’s nowhere near good enough to justify the amount of times I’ve heard it already.

2) Julia’s family needs to go. I’m hoping the reveal of her affair smashes her home life to pieces and her dead weight husband and wooden son go off to Alaska to count Salmon.

1) ELLIS. MUST. GO. He’s closing in on taking away the crown for most hideously annoying character from Maya on Heroes, which is an accomplishment but not in a good way. I know he’s supposed to be the character you love to hate- but I just hate him. I’m getting close to the point where I’m just going to fast forward all the bits hes in, that’s how much I hate him.

Any questions?

Comment by Whimsical – March 30, 2012 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Katherine Mc Phee is the bomb!!! Even more gorgeous in person. Fantastic Singer and Actress! For all the SMASH haters out there….GET A REALITY CHECK.

Comment by Melody – March 30, 2012 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whimsical you bring up some good points, but I diagree with the original songs. They’re new and sound great! I completely agree with you on Ellis, he really is so stupid and I can’t stand him either! I still love the show though and Ms. McPhee is incredible! Love her voice!

Comment by Ke'ani – March 30, 2012 11:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This track is awesome. Karen and Ivy look like they’re having fun with this song. But, as I’ve read about on the official promo for this episode that this is actually a fantasy montage in the episode.

Comment by Mark Talmadge – March 31, 2012 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For the record, that McDonalds SUCKS!! Not fast at all…LOL… I love SMASH though

Comment by Brad – April 2, 2012 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the show, but I need MORE musical numbers!!!! Let’s let Karen and Ivy be friendly and fight their guilt for some envy over parts they compete for. And, PLEASE, dress Debra Messing better — oh, and let her be her pretty self and maybe just a little bit comedic!! You’re wasting her as this vapid, whining little NOBODY!! You’ve got a good start — now turn it into the GREAT SHOW it can and should be!! Just my little, old nobody opinion! Ha!

Comment by Jeri Carman – April 3, 2012 01:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I personally love Ivy because I’m a theater person myself, and Megan Hilty played Glinda in Wicked on Broadway. Karen has a good voice, but I think it’s so unrealistic that she would get ensemble as she has no dance experience whatsoever and she doesn’t even know simple stage directions. She would be a great character if they didn’t try to make her so inexperienced. Maybe if they made her a bit more down to earth. Another thing that bugs me is how they see Karen as Marilyn more than Ivy, even though Ivy SCREAMS Marylin!!!

Comment by horanismyman – April 10, 2012 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely loved the first season of Smash, and I’m very much looking forward to season #2.

I cannot express how freakin annoying it is to read some of the posts from people all over the Net in different forums, blogs, etc. Someone seems to ALWAYS have something critical to say…whether it be about character development, plotsrand subplots, wardrobe, etc, etc, etc. STOP THE MADNESS PEOPLE….PLEASE!!!! For some “odd” reason, fans and non-fans of the show never fully enjoy the fantastic show for what it is–they’ve always got to be critical of someone or something….thisplot has been overused on daytime television, why did they have Ivy singing that particular song…I don’t think it was right for her….BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH…BLAH!!!! I, and thousands of other people prefer to enjoy the show for what it is in all its glory. Maintaining a clear and imaginative mind rather then always having a critical eye will serve you well…it will allow you to be in a much better mindset to be able to truly “feel, think, laugh, cry….” At the end of the day, you’ll be better able to truly enjoy the journey along with the show and it’d characters. Try it some time, huh…..

PR