Vampire Diaries, Make It or Break It Alums Find Shelter With J.J. Abrams/Mark Schwahn Pilot

Vampire Diaries alumna Malese Jow and former Make It or Break It star Zachary Abel have joined The CW’s buzzy drama pilot Shelter.

From executive producers Mark Schwahn and J.J. Abrams, the project centers on the staff and guests at an historic New England summer resort, Shelter Bay Inn. Not unlike both EPs’ previous primetime soaps (One Tree Hill and Felicity, respectively),  Shelter will navigate friendships, rivalries and romances.

Abel has been cast as leading man Mitchell Taylor, a hopelessly romantic former local baseball hero who now mans the concierge desk at the inn, our sister site Deadline reports. Jow, meanwhile, will play the town’s resident party girl.

The duo join the previously cast Trent Ford (Vampire Diaries), Australian actor Eka Darville and newcomers Hannah New and Elizabeth Henstridge.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Pilots

1. Phil says:

Good for them. Now, the CW has to pick up Arrow, B&B, Cult, The Selection, Shelter and get rid of Ringer and TSC! Welcome Nikita’s season 3 and HoD’s season 2!

• kavyn says:

Totally agree. Would rather see TSC go and keep Nikita and HOD. I think they should pick up Arrow, Selection and maybe Shelter for the OTH fans since they sound like they’ll share similar character chemistry. A little disappointed with the casting for this though… was hoping for some more fresh faces and less familiar ones (despite the fact that I adored Malese Jow on TVD).

• Russ says:

Hey I like TSC, have you even watched it? its fairly interesting. These last 3 or 4 episodes are going to be amazing they set it up perfectly. You should give it a try.

• Andrea says:

Totally agree with everything you said !

• Emily says:

Sorry, I’d choose TSC over HoD.

• Rachel says:

LOVE IT!!! Not realistic but exactly what I would do. And get rid of next top nothing, er model.

2. CW says:

I hope it doesn’t get picked up. The CW has too many pilots this year. I watch some shows on the CW that are “in danger” of getting canceled. I won’t be happy if the shows I watch get canceled (especially for a show like this).

3. Jamie says:

Great casting for both. He’s a solid “good guy” male lead and Malese has a following with the VD fandom. Plus Mark Schwahn (One Tree Hill connection) this has a good chance of being picked up for at least 13 episodes.

4. markoo says:

I love Malese Jow! She made such an amazing performance in the VD! So now I have to wOw for Shelter to get picked up!

I wanna GG, supernatural see flying! Arrow,The CD,Shelter and The Selection have to get picked up!

5. Toms1€ says:

Even though it seems ok, i would rather see The selection, Arrow and First cut this fall

6. mandy says:

I think this show sounds good. I think this could be a good replacement for One Tree Hill. I will watch it if it gets picked up.

7. soarin829 says:

The thought of JJ doing another show more in the realm of Felicity, makes me VERY excited. I love his more adventurous/mysterious stuff, it’s just that he’s really only stuck to that kind of stuff for a while now. Ya know?

8. SC says:

Hannah New is British. She has a Masters in Acting from Central/London, but started her acting career in Spain.

9. dude says:

This makes me sad because I LOVE Malese Jow but I know The CW won’t pick up this pilot.

• Leslie says:

Is there a particular reason you think they wouldn’t? I actually had this one pegged as the safest bet for a pickup with it being the cheapest pilot for the network to produce this year plus J.J. Abrams being apart of it. The cast is iffy though.

10. Vannesa says:

CW…PICK UP ARROW & FIRST CUT!!! :D

11. Jayne says:

CW…..Pick up Arrow and The Selection!!!! Please!

12. Timothy says:

As long as Malese is seen often, this show can’t/won’t go wrong.