Is a Good Wife Smackdown Coming? Missing Mad Betty? Castle's Mom Too Catty? And More TV Qs!

We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, here are some queries we’re going to lob at you, from shows including Nikita, Mad Men, The Good Wife, Once Upon a Time and Cougar Town!

1 | The best part of last week’s Supernatural: The fantastic Castiel flashback montage or Sam in a white shirt for an entire hour?

2 | What did everyone think of the way Nikita (finally!) solved the Cassandra “problem”? Did she get off way too easy? And will anyone (besides Michael) actually miss little Max?

3 | Could it really be that January Jones’ absence from Mad Men‘s Season 5 premiere made our hearts grow fonder for Betty the Polarizing Ice Queen? And a “bean ballet,” Peggy? Really? We’re with Don on that one.

| Is anyone else praying that the next original Good Wife (airing April 15) picks up exactly where the last one left off, with Alicia about to deliver the smackdown of the century to Jackie? The Kings wouldn’t rob us of that sure-to-be-classic moment, would they? And after seeing Alicia taunt the IRS’ webcam, don’t you wish we got to see her ferocious side just a bit more frequently?

5 | Are the Evil Queen’s form-fitting and -flaunting outfits at times threatening to nudge Once Upon a Time up to a TV-MA rating? Oh, and what happened to these August/”Mad Hatter” scenes?!

Spoiler Alert! Happy Endings Romance Scoop! Killing Preview! Alias Cliffhanger Redux!

6 | How excited are you that we won’t have to see Xtina’s bedazzled vegetable steamer or Adam’s grandpa sweater after four loooong weeks of Battle Rounds on The Voice?

7 | Castle’s mother was a bit harsh, wasn’t she, suggesting that he up and bail on Beckett?

8 | Whodathunk when Alcatraz first premiered that this twisty, supernatural-y drama would turn out to be a love story between Sam Neill and Parminder Nagra?

9 | As you watch Neal McDonough play such a depraved Justified cretin, do you ever think, “This is the actor whose religious principles prevented him from doing love scenes on ABC’s Scoundrels“?

10 | Does anyone understand what Fashion Star winners receive at the end of each episode? Does that money go into production, straight to them…? Why is this competition so complicated?

11 | Can we rally to get New Girl‘s Winston on Smash? He could spice up the revamped Marilyn: The Musical with his Wicked singing skills. And show of hands: Who thinks Dermot Mulroney can charm the fancypants off of anyone?

12 | What is ABC trying to accomplish with Cougar Town‘s erratic scheduling? Benching the long-benched sitcom for a recap of Dancing With the Stars‘ historical first two weeks?

13 | Has Revenge being off the air (until April 18, ugh!) made you appreciate how Victoria Grayson is more evil a queen than the actual Evil Queen on Once Upon a Time?

14 | Did One Tree Hill’s Julian really just up and write a script based on An Unkindness of Ravens, without Lucas, and add in his own namesake character? Seriously?! And at what point did the normally music-filled series inherit 7th Heaven‘s uber-cheesy musical score?

Happy Endings15 | Did American Idol single-handedly render the standing ovation meaningless after the judges rose to their feet for five out of nine performances this week?

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Vampire Diaries, White Collar, Fringe, Smash, Secret Circle & More

16 | Did America’s Next Top Model eliminate Ashley just so they wouldn’t have to decipher what she was saying — Happy? Hippy? — anymore?

17 | Did anyone else have Chuck flashbacks when Happy Endings gave blonde Alex a slo-mo, flowing-hair entrance?

18 | Was Tarzan’s underwear-gate — “This is not poop, OK? It’s dirt!” and “Trust me, I know all about microbiology?” — the grossest thing that’s ever happened on Survivor?

19 | Are you Team Blanket or Team Pillow in Community‘s battle of the forts? Also, John Goodman’s Vice Dean Laybourne rocking a mean French braid: yay or nay? (Oddly enough, we loved it!)

20 | On The Vampire Diaries, was Klaus’ cell phone some of the most awkward product placement ever? (And on Vampire Diaries alone, that’s saying — Bing! — a lot.)

21 | The new 30 Rock page, Hazel: She’s totally not working, right? Meanwhile, who out there utterly lizzed when Liz plugged “Smash, Mondays at 10!” during Jack’s meditation sequence?

22 | One of our readers raised a good Q: If Awake‘s Detective Britten gets up in the middle of the night to pee, could that wind up being the difference between catching a killer and not? Could lives in one reality be lost just because he had a tall glass of cranberry juice before bed?

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: 20ish Questions, Burning Questions, Commentary

1. Nerwen Aldarion says:

I don’t think Martha was too harsh. She was standing up for her son who was lied to, she just wants him to be happy. Sure she doesn’t know the whole side but is it really that hard to see that she is biased towards her child? I don’t think Martha is at fault here at all.

• Audrey says:

I agree, Martha was very fair to Castle. She’s a mother and she can see what Beckett does to Castle. I actually agree with Martha that Castle should really stand up for himself and walk away.

• Danielle H says:

Totally agree with this as well. I’m so over the will-they-won’t-they on Castle. It has been drawn out a season too long at least. It’s just turning super sour and sad at this point. And I am sickened to see next week that Castle is just going to go bang young models again to make her mad.
        This show needs to wake up and reward the fans.

• Trina says:

I agree. I mean really, these characters are not 12 years old but are behaving so childishly. The writers need to step up and give them an adult relationship.

• Ju says:

I do not agree. Yes, he should stand up but walking away, seriously ? That’s how you end up a 4-years relationship (whatever it was) and god knows how long of them being in love ?
        He might need to make a stand but for that to happen, he has to talk to her.
        Walking away like he did was immature. And for those who think that he was hurt and blind, that’s where Martha should have intervene. How could she not tell him to go talk to her ? She’s no fool, she surely knows that Kate is in love with him. Even if she didn’t, Kate makes him happy, she can’t tell him to forget her just like that, she should have told him to find out what was hiding behind that lie.

• elr says:

I agree with you. She was just being a good mother and doesn’t want to see her child hurt anymore than he already is.

• LadyC says:

Either that or she was using reverse psychology on Rick..

2. Nicole says:

re: #21 — I thought I was the only person to catch the Smash plug! Everyone I asked missed it.

3. Newo says:

As per your own Ask Ausiello just this week… “I’m pretty sure the next new episode — which, BTW, doesn’t air until April 15 (ugh) — brings us back to the scene of the impending showdown, the beauty parlor.”

4. “13 | Has Revenge being off the air (until April 18, ugh!) made you appreciate how Victoria Grayson is more evil a queen than the actual Evil Queen on Once Upon a Time?”

Having watched the scene between Mary Margaret and Regina at the jail cell I can safely say this question is bogus.

• Gina says:

#13 (Possible spoilers to some!) I concur. Plus, Regina has crushed the heart of one, deliberately used the Hat’s rules about number of entrances/exits to her advantage and sacrificed the life of her father to gain her end — not to mention repeatedly showing just how far she’ll go to make her goals a reality. So, although I agree Victoria Grayson is up there among the best, the Evil Queen takes it by many a mile.

5. Jrs says:

Hold on…I think hazel is awesome!

• TV Gord says:

I agree. I’m not expecting her to last beyond this season, so maybe I’m just enjoying the ride while she’s here. I figure the season will either end with Kenneth back as a page or running the network (as Jack predicted a few seasons back).

6. Karen says:

I dont think Martha was to harsh she was standing by her son even though she doesn’t know the whole story she is still her son and its called support

7. cj says:

#8: i knew immediately that they were canoodling, but no, i did NOT thunk it’d turn out to be so important.

• elr says:

I didn’t either. And why is their romance so important to the story? Could she have come back and sought Emerson out to give her some assistance? Unfortunately, we may never know because I don’t see Alcatraz coming back for another season, do you?

8. me says:

6. NO! I loved Adam’s grandpa sweater! But the plate on Christina’s head was ridiculous.

11. What SMASH needs is an infusion of Gifted Man. Since his show surely won’t be back next season, get Patrick Wilson on there, STAT! The guy sings like an angel.

• Maggie says:

ah! brilliant!! who would he play? hmmm…we only got a small taste of his AMAZING singing abilities when he filled in as the drummer during one of the last episodes, but oh my gosh he has a great voice :)

• Stacey says:

Thank you, I thought I was the only one that loved Adam’s grandpa sweater!! That man can make a burlap sack look sexy!!

9. John says:

Point 5) Wondered the same thing myself…not that I mind her wardrobe progression (or is it regression) over the weeks at all.
    Point 17) Actually, I had Chuck flashbacks while watching Community. The episode was more than just a Subway ad, it actually named the foil of the week “Subway”.

• Aiden says:

Yes! Every Subway product placement, be it Cougar Town or Community, reminds me of Chuck also. Damn, I miss that show. I truly hope a Subway campaign saves at least one of those two ratings-challenged shows.

But as for #17: Absolutely a Chuck trademark to do the slo-mo entrance with wind blowing on your hair, so that Alex sequence on Happy Endings was extra hilarious for me. Reminds me of Sarah Walker’s “frak off” nerdy entrance from season 3.

10. Martha wasn’t too harsh. She likes Beckett, but she doesn’t want her son to be hurt. Maybe she thinks keeping his distance would be best.

11. wordsmith says:

re: #22 – I don’t think Britten actually sleeps at all – from his perspective, he’s just always awake (per the title?). So the midnight pee thing wouldn’t be an issue, though sleep deprivation dementia very well may be…

• Jennifer says:

You may be on to something plotwise…

• Angelica says:

I agree with you on the plot point. Watching the first couple of episodes I kept thinking it took them a long time to come with a Fight Clubby series. I mean the story is completely different but up to this point it appears that the underlying story is very similar.

I’d also like to add…

TEAM PILLOW FTW! GO ABED!!!!!

12. Jen says:

I am so incredibly angry about how the One Tree Hill writers are choosing to end the series. I have loved this show since the beginning – through the golden years of the first four seasons, even struggling through the complete crap seasons like seven and eight – but this… season 9 had a solid run (except for a few things that were completely melodramatic and unnecessary) but having Julian write a TV show without Lucas and writing himself in as if he went there himself during high school is just incredibly stupid. Not to mention the fact that this ending is a complete rip off of Dawson’s Creek’s ending. I expected something so much more original and heartfelt than this…

13. ana says:

I might be the only one, but I love Betty. I think she’s completely misunderstood.

14. kirads09 says:

#5 – The EQ has always had a pretty healthy aura of sexuality about her. Her outfits are form fitting, but I don’t think too risque.
    I think her style is also meant to show her opposite MM/Snow’s “purity”. I know – no August in last week’s episode?

#8 – That may have been my favorite part of the whole thing.
    Curmudgeon Houser doing this all (or mostly) for his love Lucy.
    I :heart: that! Please renew the show Fox!

• Jennifer says:

I agree considering how Ruby dresses for work!! That’s not a slam, Ruby is stunning!, she’s so beautiful she’s hard to look at.

15. Jennifer says:

Martha was a bit harsh about Beckett, but then I thought Castle’s reaction to the whole thing was odd. I know he probably needs to process but his reacton thus far seems out of character (no pun intended). I get she’s on her son’s side but the woman’s not even certain who Richard’s bio-dad is! I may be remembering that wrong but I had the impression she was never completely sure, I apologize if I am mistaken. I’m quite sure Rick and Kate WILL have this out an there will be fireworks. Remember he’s got murder board on her mother.

As for Britton, I’ve wondered what happens if he takes nap!

McDonough is rocking on Justified!! (Don’t know anything about Scoundrels) I only wish he had been this creepy crazy fun to watch on Desperate Housewives!!

• Kvivik says:

I believe that Martha is pretending not to know who Castle’s dad is as a way to protect him. But her story has indeed always been that she doesn’t know who his dad is.
      As for Rick’s reaction, he was in shock. She’s been lying to him for months and he finds it out as she is interrogating a witness. He told her he loved her and she is pretending she doesn’t remember. He was not expecting that sort of thing from her and probably feels a bit betrayed by it.

• Jennifer says:

I agree, that was my first thought. He should feel betrayed. He tells this woman he loves her and she doesn’t even acknowledge it, worse she lies to him about but tells shrink everything. I also agree about Martha and bio-dad, my point was Martha is kind of doing the same thing to Richard that Beckett did so Martha shouldn’t be throwing stones. These women gotta stop trying to protect him, he’s an adult, I think he can handle the truth.

16. Liz says:

#4…yes!!! She sooo needs to let loose on her.

#7…an equally strong yes!! I get that Martha is on her son’s side, but is everyone forgetting that Beckett had just been shot? Are we really going to be that harsh on someone who went through something so traumatic?

17. Ari says:

#1, the montage. I have always been neutral on Cas but that montage kind of made me love him.
    10.) YES! What is the point of Fashion Star? It feels like one really bad QVC program
    12.) they are jerking cougar Town around so they can cancel it and blame the ratings when in reality it will be because they pulled it for Mr. Sunshine and then pulled it for Work It and they other show I can’t remember. ABC is treating Cougar Town very very badly it’s disgusting.

• elr says:

Well you know that ABC’s motto is (erratic scheduling will kill all good shows) this is the same thing that happened to Better Off Ted. Oh, and when it did move there hardly any marketing to back the move.

18. jon says:

Answer to #3. Nope. Don’t miss herone bit. Less of her on screen, the better.

19. CJ Lais says:

#9 Yes, yes and yes! That was exactly what I’ve been saying to myself – no one else in my house watches – every week. Especially the past two episodes. So, you can walk stark naked into a bathroom where you have a teen sex slave chained up, but you can’t kick it with Virginia Madsen?!

20. jennifer says:

#8) Love Story?Really? A more important question:Who woulda thought when Alcatraz first premiered that it would be so boring,repetitive, with a female lead I never connected to ,or, gave a damn about?

21. Becca says:

7) I did think Martha was a little harsh, especially conisdering that like 20 minutes prior she’d asked Castle when he was going to tell Beckett how he felt. But I was way more distracted by Castle’s totally uncharacteristic response to Beckett not telling him she knew.

22. lady.lightning says:

#21 – Hazel is the WORST. And I like Kristen Schaal.

23. Carmichael says:

11 | Can we rally to get New Girl‘s Winston on Smash? He could spice up the revamped Marilyn: The Musical with his Wicked singing skills. And show of hands: Who thinks Dermot Mulroney can charm the fancypants off of anyone?
    ~
    Meh, not all that impressed with Mulroney. As for Winston, he did seem to have some skill.
    ~
    Easy, they’re trying to kill it.
    ~
    17 | Did anyone else have Chuck flashbacks when Happy Endings gave blonde Alex a slo-mo, flowing-hair entrance?
    ~
    I can’t believe I didn’t!
    ~
    19 | Are you Team Blanket or Team Pillow in Community‘s battle of the forts? Also, John Goodman’s Vice Dean Laybourne rocking a mean French braid: yay or nay? (Oddly enough, we loved it!)
    ~
    Team Pillow all the way! ABED! LEONARD! ALEX! MAGNITUDE! They got all the best characters. As for the braid, well, something tells me it’s part of an evil plot and I love it all the more for it
    ~
    I love Kristin Schaal on the Daily Show and Bob’s Burger’s, but yeah, Hazel……a bit over the top. As for the Smash plug, *shrugs* It’s the kind of thing the show does
    ~
    Why no Big Bang Theory Love?

24. Elyse says:

The product placement this week on TVD doesn’t hold a torch to the awkward State Farm product placement on 90210 a few months back when it didn’t fit into the story AT ALL or the blatant Subway product placement on Hawaii Five-0.

• George says:

I was thinking the SAME THING! I honestly don’t even remember the context of that State Farm product placement (it was w/Dixon & the cowboy character, right?), but it was completely out of left field!

• Russ says:

I was also thinking of 90210 State Farm thing, it was so random, pointless, and made me embarrassed for the show.

25. rubytu says:

I didn’t care about Betty, until I saw how Don Draper treats his new sex-toy wife. I mean, didn’t Betty have to take a back seat to everything Don did? Work, drinking, affairs, everything! Now I really feel sorry for her. I think Don is a jerk, and I don’t have any sympathy for him at all.
    My fave character is Peggy, and I wish they’d do more on her story.

26. May says:

#7, yes I think she was a bit too harsh. She knows how he feels and shouldn’t bash Beckett like that. It was so immature.

27. Vegas Guy says:

So close to not reading tvline.com anymore:

“Are the Evil Queen’s form-fitting and -flaunting outfits at times threatening to nudge Once Upon a Time up to a TV-MA rating?”

I’ve not seen that ANYWHERE but here. And it seems every story I read on this site is pro-feminist.

28. John says:

No worries … Britten is a bed wetter.

29. Jen says:

#3 – I missed Betty a lot! I kept hoping we’d at least get a glimpse of her but no such luck. Glad the previews showed that she’ll be back in the next episode. I was sort of hoping against hope that she and Don got back together during the hiatus. Their relationship is messed up but I can’t deny they have great chemistry. I think it would be interesting if Don cheats on Megan with Betty. The last we saw of Betty she was making a play for Don so she definitely still has feelings for him.

30. Gina says:

#13 (Possible spoilers to some!) Regina has crushed the heart of one, deliberately used the Hat’s rules about number of entrances/exits to her advantage and sacrificed the life of her father to gain her end — not to mention repeatedly showing just how far she’ll go to make her goals a reality. So, although I agree Victoria Grayson is up there among the best, the Evil Queen takes it by many a mile.

31. Human Being says:

#3. I never disliked January Jones on Mad Men. I think Betty is a horrible mom and not a very good person, but I’ve always been interested in her character on the show. Not saying I want her and Don to get back together, because I DO NOT want them together. But I do think she has an interesting story. I find her much more interesting than Megan, who is annoying and boring to me. The actress might look cute in a mini-dress, but I roll my eyes every time she’s on screen. She needs to go get a Pan Am flight attendant job.

#4. It did seem like a poopy place to end the episode, but I have a feeling we’re not going back to that scene.

#9. Did not know that about Neal McDonnough. He’s so good on Justified though! I’ve really fallen for him and want him to stick around on the show long term like Boyd and Winn, but I know that’s not happening, especially with him going to Darabont’s new show. I predict Winn is the one who kills him which will set up to see more of Winn next season. BTW, what was with the weird Alcatraz plug in that episode? I feel like there was a joke in there about Neal McDonnough that I just wasn’t getting, but I don’t really watch Alcatraz, so maybe that’s why I was so clueless.

#19. I didn’t notice anything on Community other than the Subway ads. I am glad the show has a sponsor, but if they try to slam the ads down my throat in the same unsubtle way that Chuck used to, it’s going to make me never want to eat there again. Can’t they be more sly with the ads? At least Dan Harmon was attempting to have fun with it. Also, I found this funny on Community, and I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have noticed it had I not seen 5 episodes in a row of Downton Abbey yesterday, but I am pretty sure they were using Downton Abbey music in the Subway/Britta love scene.

#21. I haven’t seen last night’s 30 Rock yet, but I really love Kristen Schaal, I can’t imagine I’ll dislike her on the episode.

32. Angela says:

#15: Ohhhhh, yeah. The judges are ridiculous this year in their overenthusiastic praise.
    #19: I don’t know! I love both Troy and Abed, don’t make me choose (and on that note, their whole fight they’ve got going on with each other is really interesting and yet really sad)! And I sorta liked that braid Laybourne had going on, too, yeah! Glad I’m not alone in that. I also see what people are saying about the Subway thing, but I do like the way they’re having a bit of fun with the advertising-comparing it to “1984” and such. Also, I liked Britta’s relationship with the Subway guy. It was kinda sweet.

33. elr says:

Oh don’t even get me stated on Awake. I had the hardest time figuring out who his partner is in whichever reality he is in. Your questions are going to make my head explode.

34. elr says:

#18 – yes – but then everything about Tarzan is GROSS.

35. J. Norman says:

#12)
    The reason that ABC is preempting Cougar Town (and also Last Man Standing) has nothing to do with (ABC) “trying to kill it”.

I suspect that the real reason for the preempt is that that ABC is holding a precarious lead over NBC for 3rd place in the season ratings.
    They feel that airing a DWTS special will get (much) higher ratings and help them hold off the late season NBC rush which has emerged through ‘The Voice”

ABC does not want to finish 4th and they feel this move will help them do that.
    It is not an ‘anti-Cougar Town move, but simply an attempt at a ratings boost.

Guess what, If NBC moves too close, they’ll do it. . or something similar. . . again.

36. CAM says:

So ridiculous for Julian to be so worried about how to get things right and then write himself into the story. As for him writing it without Lucas, wasn’t there something about that ages ago, when he first was going to write it as a movie?

37. Rowan says:

With time to kill, here are my answers:

1) Best part was Castiel’s montage. Granted it wasn’t as amazing and heartbreaking as Sam’s the the season 5 finale, and Lord knows Jared in a white Tee is lovely, but getting Castiel back made me do a Snoopy Dance. I’m just pissed that after a few episodes we have another three weeks hiatus before the ramp-up to the big bag. P.S. I heart Bobby! Welcome back Jim Beaver!!

2) Don’t watch. Don’t care.
    ~
    3) My heart does not grow fonder for Betty – that said, her bitchiness is missed.
    ~
    4) The Good Wife IS going to show the showdown in the hair salon. Love it when Alicia gets all fired-up.
    ~
    5) Apparently, someone bought Susan Futterman at ABC Standards & Practices some cake. I love August/Mad Hatter – give us more, more, more!
    6) Yes.
    ~
    7) I think Martha is trying to save her son from more heartbreak. She is right that he can’t work with her and turn off his feeling. Look at his behavior. Beckett better tell him she love him by the ends of the season.
    8) Nope
    ~
    9) You think Quarrels is a cretin? I think you need to look up the term. He’s very smart – he just underestimates how smart Boyd is and how hard it is to seriously jam up Raylan. The only one who can truly get Raylan in a pickle is Raylan. Everyone else is a freakin amateur.
    ~
    10) I have no idea how it works – and either do the producers.
    ~
    11) Winston’s “Defying Gravity” should’ve been on Glee! Dermott Mulroney is charming in New Girl. Too bad he was so woefully miscast as Rockford last year. I would have loved a good reboot.
    ~
    12) ABC is trying to kill Cougar Town – or it feels as a network they are doing so well they can blow off the rabid fans of one of the funniest sitcoms on TV. Wake up ABC! It’s not like you’re getting CBS’ ratings.
    ~
    13, 14, 15, 16) Not my cup of tea, so I don’t give a rip.
    ~
    17) Always loved Chuck – they didn’t create the slo-mo, flowing hair entrance, but they did perfect it.
    ~
    18) Blech. I mean the series, not the underwear moment.
    ~
    19) On this, I’m Team Blanket. Abed is being to dictatorial. Inspector Spacetime would disapprove.
    ~
    20) If you think that’s bad – watch the over commercial for Toyota Fox makes the Bones cast go through each episode. Talk about ham-fisted.
    ~
    21) Hazel is totally not working. The Smash plug was funny. THAT’s how you do product placement folks – if it doesn’t fit in do it tongue-in-cheek.
    ~
    22) Yes. One poorly timed beverage and the world dies.

38. anna says:

I miss Betty! She’s way more interesting than Megan.

And not even Winston can make Smash interesting.

39. Lu says:

#13–
    I think this might be a tad unfair as the Evil Queen is more archetypal– even Regina in Storybrook– with magic, medieval-like dramatic plots, etc. The chances of coming up against a Regina (magic Evil Queen from a Fairytale land) is less likely than a Victoria– so in that way Victoria is MUCH scarier– I mean how many of us are really going to have our hearts literally squeezed to death after having it magically removed — maybe symbolically– ie what Victoria did to David Clark.

40. Crystal says:

Goodman rocked the French Braid! “I’m going through some stuff right now, Troy” LOVED it!

Evil Queen has the best wardrobe on tv right now–at least while Joan’s still in post baby PJs.

Evil Queen over Victoria Grayson. Her line delivery is amazing! Can’t stand her as the Mayor but look forward to when she’s going to appear for some wicked little moment in Fairytale Land.

41. ladyhelix says:

15 | The standing ovations were meaningless because of WHO they stood up for – not the number of times they stood up. Do they think we’re morons?