Game of Thrones: Season 1's Most Jaw-Dropping Moments -- From Direwolves to Dragons!

5. Ned is beheaded in front of his daughters

Truly one of the show’s most shocking moments, the HBO series proved it had cojones when it killed off one of its main characters — and only recognizable name actors — with a quick and horrific severing of his head. Once again, that weasel Joffrey was to blame.

4. Bronn’s opponent plummets to his death

While fighting in Tyrion’s place — for a fair match and all — Bronn pierced his adversary into a bloody mess and then, just for good measure, sent him tumbling far, far down below.

3. Robb tricks Tywin Lannister in order to capture Jaime

Ned Stark’s son proved he was more than just a pretty face when he outwitted the eldest Lannister and his troops, using an attack as a decoy to take Jaime prisoner.

2. Sansa finally stands up to Joffrey

In a long overdue moment, Sansa finally struck back (verbally, anyway) when Joffrey took her to see her father’s head mounted on a stake. After the new King exclaimed that he would give her Robb’s head as well, she replied with a quiet, but rebellious, “Or maybe he will give me yours.”

1. Daenerys gives “birth” to dragons

Looking back, it seems inevitable now that Season 1 would end with Dany’s evolution into a warrior Queen giving way to the rebirth of dragons. But damned if the moment still isn’t jaw-dropping and awe-inspiring.

Game of Thrones

What were your favorite jaw-dropping moments from Season 1? Hit the comments with your picks!

1. Lisa says:

6. Drogo crowning Viserys, loved it.
    1. Daenerys giving birth to dragons.
    I can’t wait to see what happens next.

2. Brendan says:

How was the beheading of Ned not high on the list… it was hands down the most shocking moment for me because I just did not think they would actually do it.

3. Bailey says:

This show is SO great – I can’t express how excited I am for next season! One of my favorite moments of the show (and book) by far, though, is Tyrion slapping Joffrey, pretty early on. I know it’ll never make it on a greatest hits list, but man, is that a satisfying moment or what?

4. YowzaPowza says:

How is Ned’s beheading not at least number 2?

5. yippity says:

I think I know what you will rate as Number 1 shocking moment of Season 2 – I bet it involves Tyrion but not saying anything else…

6. Leah says:

I’m reading the books right now, but I haven’t seen the show. (No HBO at my house.) If the show is half as good as the books, it’s fantastic. And that is coming from someone who had never enjoyed the fantasy genre.

7. reen says:

Best. Series. Ever.

The beheading of Ned and the birth of the dragons was a powerful one-two last two installments of season one. But really, for me the very first episode was so engaging and shocking and well done that it hooked me immediately–in a genre I rarely watch and have really never read. Love this series! Can’t wait for Sunday!

8. maudlin says:

Awesome post! Can’t wait for the second season.

9. Kayla says:

So sick of people acting like HBO did something OMGSOSHOCKING by killing Ned. The story could not have progressed organically if he was still alive. It wasn’t a shock.

10. Ana says:

Love Daenerys, Jon Snow, Tyron and Arya. Hate all the other Lannisters and Sansa. THIS SERIES IS SO GOOD!

11. K95 says:

All of you who “hate” Sansa will come around to love her. I am sure. I read the books and at first I hated her but then I started to love her, and I am SURE you all will too. She handles all of the things that are happening to her maturely and she’s just 12/13 in the books and series. I’m sure she even handles them better than you all but please give her a chance and she will surprise you. Arya, Daenerys, Tyrion and Jon have the best storylines in the books and most probably the series too.

• Katie says:

I totally agree. Sansa was a little annoying in the books at first but I really came to love her. I’m looking forward to seeing her in season two.

12. The Leimo Personal Hair Laser Starter Kit promotes hair regrowth in three (3) steps:.
    Stop hair loss and restore hair in the comfort of your own home
    by using the Leimo Personal Hair Laser Starter Kit. Unlike dryers which emit heat,
    these machines emit low-level laser.