Look Out, Today: Katie Couric to Co-Host GMA

Get More: News

The morning show wars just got a whole lot more interesting.

ABC’s Good Morning America, which is within striking distance of overtaking NBC’s Today in the ratings, has enlisted Katie Couric to serve as guest co-host all next weekTVNewser reports.

This marks the first time Couric, who will sub for a vacationing Robin Roberts, will be working the AM shift since she departed Today six years ago.

“Serious pressure filling in for the fab Robin Roberts,” Couric tweeted Thursday morning.

Couric jumped to ABC News last Spring after a five-year stint at CBS Evening News. Her ABC-produced syndicated talk show, Katie, launches this fall.

Comments (23)

• I miss Katie on “Today”. I like Ann Curry but I don’t think she’s a very good co-host/anchor. I like Savannah much more.

Comment by Jaime – March 29, 2012 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Meredith

Comment by Joey – March 29, 2012 06:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally, a reason to watch one of the morning shows, even if just for a week.

Comment by april-ann – March 29, 2012 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s a frost queen and no one will be watching her new show. Look how she tanked the CBS evening news.

Comment by chris – March 29, 2012 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Noooooooooooooooo!!

Comment by mawhi – March 29, 2012 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I sure hope that this doesn’t boost ratings too high, or they might can Robin for her!

Comment by scoboot – March 29, 2012 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I lost respect for her after hearing about how she had the nerve to come to VT and complain about her hotel room not being good enough after April 16. I am not sure I care if it was true or not, because I wasn’t a fan of what I saw from the media in front of the camera either.

Comment by TWCSR – March 29, 2012 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ah Katie the General Hospital Killer surfaces. May her show stink as much as the Spew and the Revolting

Comment by soapfan – March 29, 2012 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Get a grip – stop spending your time watching those brainless soaps. Instead, get off your fat behind, read a book, get a job, and run around the block a few times.

Comment by Chrispy – March 29, 2012 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • To the uninformed Chrispy–I have a job and record soaps to watch when I am not busy. You have no clue as to what other people enjoy or how each person chooses to spend their free time. If a person does not like Katie Couric’s method of hosting or interviewing, it is his or her right to say so just as you had the same right. I do not like Katie Couric,s method, and will not watch any show she hosts or cohosts. Good Morning America is the only morning show I watch but not this week. I’ll try NBC or CBS. Chrispy, take your own advice.

Comment by Sondra Staggs – April 2, 2012 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess I’ll be turning off GMA next week!

Comment by Andi – March 29, 2012 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She looks vaguely familiar… was she somebody once?

Comment by Drew – March 29, 2012 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Katie is on GMA I’m turning the channel !

Comment by Lisa – March 29, 2012 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She was good in Today,so why did Katie leave, oh yea, moar money..
    I agree, Ann Curry is soo dramatic and forced. Sometimes seniority in a job not always work for the right purpose.

Comment by tahina – March 29, 2012 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It wasn’t just money. It was prestige. She was the first female solo anchor of a network nightly news program, which is much more serious than the fluff they put on in the morning. Remember when she basically skewered Sarah Palin and put a serious dent in McCain’s presidential campaign? Yeah, that wouldn’t have happened if she was still doing Today.

Comment by Noelbelle – March 29, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hard hitting questions along the lines of “Can people read in Alaska?” destroyed her career. Nobody takes her seriously anymore. You point to the 2008 election as her high point. In truth, it was her downfall. Sarah Palin didn’t do well in that interview, but Couric looked ridiculous. Mainly because it wasn’t her job as a journalist to put a dent in the McCain campaign. She’s supposed to at least look impartial. By failing to do so, she destroyed her credibility. Just like Dan Rather destroyed his credibility. Just like Soledad O’Brien recently destroyed her credibility. The list keeps getting longer, which is why major news outlets are losing viewers/readers.

Seriously though, she didn’t dent the campaign. The decision to halt the campaign so McCain could go back to Washington and save the economy ruined his campaign. Until that point, he probably would have beaten Obama. (not that I love the idea of McCain in office)

Comment by Drew – March 29, 2012 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Seriously, as a former journalist myself, I’m going to tell you you’re flat out wrong. She fulfilled her watchdog function as a journalist by asking questions that pointed out how utterly inexperienced and unqualified Sarah Palin was. Incidentally, she didn’t ask Palin if people in Alaska could read. She asked Palin which magazines, newspapers, and journals Palin regularly reads. Also, I didn’t say that was her high point. I used it as an example of the kind of journalism she could not do if she had remained a morning show anchor. On top of that, Dan Rather lost his job for not thoroughly vetting his sources, not for asking questions. Asking questions is the name of the game.

Comment by Noelbelle – March 29, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • She wasn’t asking Palin questions about her experience or ability… And first of all, as a journalist yourself, referring to Palin as “inexperienced” just further proves my point. How is she inexperienced? You might not like what she’s done, but that doesn’t mean that she hasn’t gained experience. As a journalist, I would have thought that you’d have a little more knowledge of her work in Alaska. Inexperienced? Are you joking? You’re joking, right? Because there’s not liking someone, and then there’s just completely ignoring the facts. If you know anything about Sarah Palin, you may well disagree with what she accomplished in Alaska, but you can’t say that it doesn’t amount to experience. Especially if you want to compare to Obama… you wanna compare to Barack “Present” Obama?

Couric went in wanting to make Palin look bad and baiting her with questions that were absurd. Palin’s failure during the interview was taking the bait and showing her annoyance with Couric, which was the point of the questions.

Is this the type of journalist you are? Where you go into the interview with the narrative that you want to present? Because that’s not watchdog journalism, that’s lapdog journalism.

Comment by Drew – March 29, 2012 04:21 PM PDT
  • Well I won’t be watching next week. She’s part of why I stopped watching Today. I love the hosts they have on GMA now, they don’t need to mess with them again so soon after switching it up.

Comment by k – March 29, 2012 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Feels like it’s in poor taste, a slap in the face to Today if you will.

Comment by Will – March 29, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You could definitely see your enthusiasm in the paintings you write. The arena hopes for more passionate writers like you who aren’t afraid to mention how they believe. At all times go after your heart.

Comment by Blogging Autoblog Content Generation – March 31, 2012 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m with the majority on this one! Katie Couric is a poor excuse for an anchor of any kind – host or co-host. I always have watched GMA – not this week though and will be happy to let ABC know why! She needs to grow up and get over feeling like she’s “cute” ..get real!

Comment by Maggie – April 2, 2012 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think Katie is the “Frost Queen”, I think of her as the “ICE Queen”. I absolutely cannot stand her and as much as I adore Robin and Josh, I will not watch GMA if they put Katie on the show. She showed all of the world her true heart with that Sarah Palin thing; mean, cold and she had an agenda, she was totally biased and went for the kill…….watch out Katie, it’s called Karma. I will never watch anything that she does.

Comment by Andria – April 3, 2012 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post