American Idol Season 11 Top 9 Results Recap: Nicks and Bruises [Updated]

heejun hanIf you’re going to get eliminated from American Idol, it might as well happen on the same week when five of the nine contestants received standing ovations from the judges.

Better still if you were present to witness Nicki Minaj (accompanied by the Old Navy Backup Dancers) lipsynching and boob-tucking her way through some kind of hootenanny that is Exhibit A in proving pretty much anyone can have a hit “song” at any time in these crazy (possible end) times.

And added bonus points if you managed to score some insightful, one-on-one mentoring from living legend Stevie Nicks, who swept in and out of the Idolverse like a gauzy scarf caught on a stiff spring breeze. (And she is dancing, away, from us now. She was just a wish. She was just — a wish.)

American Idol Recap: One-Night Standing

Before we get to the meat of this recap — how the results played out — a few thoughts and questions on the telecast:

American Idol: Advice (and Fantasy Set Lists!) for the Season 11 Top 9

* The Idol mansion looks pretty swank once you get past the front door, but from an architectural standpoint, the exterior looks like an East German office building circa 1974.

* Was Jennifer’s crazy blue and gray dress part of a scrap-fabric origami design challenge on J.Lo’s Drag Race? (I know, I know, it’s not an actual show, but it should be!)

* Any suspense about DeAndre’s possible elimination was washed away after Eric Benet took the stage to congratulate the soft-spoken teen on his rendition of “Sometimes I Cry.” I mean, there’s no way the show’s producers — or Benet’s publicist — would’ve have allowed the moment to happen if DeAndre had turned out to be the lowest vote-getter.

* I don’t want a heavy-metal “Ford Music Video,” I want a hair-metal theme for Top 7 week!

* Kinda chilling the way Jimmy made it sound like there’s only room for one ballad-centric diva — Jessica or Hollie — in the late stages of the competition. What are the odds that he ever decides that viewers also need to choose sides in a Team Colton vs. Team Phillip fan war?

* I’m usually okay with Nicki Minaj’s outré brand of ridiculata, but on a show that demands pitch perfection of its contestants, shouldn’t musical guests be required to, y’know, actually sing their songs, not just rely on backing tracks when they run out of breath? That said, I did have a chuckle when the crazily attired rapper perkily offered her services as a guest judge in the coming weeks. Hey, she can’t be much more annoying than Randy.

* Was it just me, or did Joshua look like he was rocking a total look from the Thurston Howell III Collection?

* Interesting that Jimmy came down pretty hard on Colton and Joshua for letting their emotions take over and breaking down during their respective performances of “Everything” and “Without You.” Me? I’m a fan of the man-cry.

* Quote of the night, from Seacrest, right before Jimmy presented Scotty with a platinum record: “Jimmy is going to take a moment from being diabolical…”

* Saddest/funniest moment of Season 11: Skylar not being able to get her diminutive frame up onto the Silver Stool of Doom. (See! Nature abhors a raucous country gal landing in the Bottom 3!)

And with that, let’s talk results results…

Sent Immediately to Safety (in Order of Announcement)
Phillip Phillips
Elise Testone
Colton Dixon (No Seacreast fakeout!)
Joshua Ledet (Total Seacrest fakeout, and a spontaneous hug for BFF Hollie on the Silver Stools of Doom!)
Jessica Sanchez
DeAndre Brackensick

Bottom Three
Hollie Cavanagh
Heejun Han
Skylar Laine (are you FREAKIN KIDDING ME, AMERICA?)

First One Sent Back to Safety
Skylar Laine

Lowest Vote Getter
Heejun Han

Last-Chance Performance
Say what you want about Heejun — and I’ve said plenty — but his encore presentation of “A Song For You” was decidedly stronger than his Wednesday night version. Heejun showed his creme-fraiche tone to its best advantage, hitting every note with earnest emphasis, as if he knew that Steven Tyler’s axe was about to swing at any second. In a sense, this may have been the best possible outcome for Heejun, maximizing his exposure and extending America’s good will toward him — before he outlasted any of the eight superior vocalists in the competition.

And on that note, I turn things over to you.

1. Namira says:

at this point, i’m beginning to like all of them so i’d be mad whoever goes home. it was Heejun’s time to go i guess. he was one of my earliest favourites all the way from the audition rounds so i’m definitely gonna miss him. at least he went out on a good note. bye for now Heejun! i’m expecting his interview with Slezak to be … amusing :)

2. Jane says:

I think America got it right with the bottom 3. Skyler’s song was too big for her lyric wise and vocally. Who wants to see a 15 year old sing about smoking cigarettes, drinking, and shooting her abusive boyfriend? She doesn’t have any insight into that song (not that most of us would). It was just way too an adult of a song and I’m sure it alienated some of her younger fans. I thought it was weird that A.I. let Haley and Lauren sing it last year. At least Haley was of age for two out of those 3 things! She needs to still have fun, but pick a happy song. It was time for Heejun to go. Hollie is next, then Deandre or Skyler (not sure of the order). Elise better keep it up or she could slip back to the silver chairs of doom.

3. Joe says:

The right one went home for a change. This is probably the best top 8 they’ve had. Every one of them, including Deandre, is capable of having the best vocal of the night.
    I voted like crazy for Skyler & Hollie because I knew they were in danger last night and I’m glad they survived. They were both too talented to go home at this stage.
    At this point, with the exception of Deandre, every elimination is going to feel like a bit of shocker. I think they’ll use the save next week and J. Lo will get her wish of having Deandre around for another 2 weeks. I just pray they find the right song for him. What he did on Wed night was not pleasant to listen to.
    I was terrified J. Lo was going to start to cry when Heejun sang and then save him, so I’m glad we didn’t get a repeat of Casey from last season whose “personality” grew tiresome fast. It’s a singing competition. Not an audition for bad comedy routines.
    Heejun sang well tonight but he is so outclassed vocally. I wish Erika had gotten to sing last night instead of him but so be it. If you seriously need his “personality” to get you through the rest of the shows/season then I question why you watch a singing competition in the first place.
    The rest of the way is going to be tense. Phillip is obviously the front runner (sadly) so I hope Elise, Jessica and the rest of them can step it up and make some magic happen to take him out. Elise is going to have a tough time doing it, but I’m happy to see Jimmy embrace someone with talent like hers. Someone is going to get on a roll and take this thing. It’s kind of cool not knowing who it’s going to be for a change.

• Jason says:

Casey was great!! That’s why he got a record deal after coming in sixth place. Not right for Idol because it’s a pop show but the guy is an amaziing musician.

• seattlejohn449 says:

I’m thinking maybe Philip peaked this week since his perfomances are so similar…he was at his best with the full band but unless he starts taking some risks with his song selections I just can’t see him recycling the same thing till the end with diminishing returns, not with exciting people like Elise really showing off a great vocal range and effortlessly trying on different song styles, moods, tempoes and leaving you wondering how she will up her game each week (and believing she will)…Philip, Skylar and others are comfort food and Elise is the full-course gourmet dinner and dessert

4. Wes says:

Deandre should have been gone long ago! JLo encouraging people to vote for him Wednesday night was disgusting.

• Ray says:

I agree with you. I was upset that JLo told us to vote for him. DeAndre is the bottom performer, in my opinion. He should have gone before Heejun.

5. Ryan says:

Hopefully this scares some life into Hollie / Skylar. They are both far too talented to be going out in the next few weeks, so maybe this will be the catalyst that helps them pull it together. My biggest takeaway from the night was Jimmy’s comments on Hollie…I can’t tell if he was throwing her under the bus or setting up a redemption arc followed by a Jessica/Hollie showdown. Needless to say that won’t even be a possibility unless Hollie really gets her stuff together…and quick.

6. Ruby says:

Skylar is obnoxious. I can’t imagine anyone I’d want to see be the American Idol less than her. And she’s not as great as you seem to think she is. She’s screechy all over the place, just like Joshua.

7. Jason says:

So they gave him a standing ovation last night and he sang WAY better tonight yet they don’t save him!!!!! I smell Racism from the producers!!!!!! America got the bottom three right again though!! It’s actually been spot on every week with the worst being sent home. Maybe Elise didn’t deserve to be in the bottom those first two weeks but that was because those themes didn’t suit her!! Personally I liked Skylar’s performance better then Colton, Deandre, Joshua and Jessica but she missed a note or two and none of the others did on much harder songs to sing!!!!

• darcy's evil twin says:

Hooray. Finally – THERE’S that racism comment.
      Has it occured to anyone that Heejun simply isn’t a good vocalist?
      As a kid I watched in horror as a police officer beat a black man with a nightstick because the poor guy accidentally walked into the “white entrance” to the movie theatre. That incident haunts me to this day and it’s one reason I get really annoyed when people toss the word “racism” around so indiscriminately.
      Now racism is defined as booting an Asian man that can’t sing off of a singing show that has a black man, a hispanic woman, and a cross-dresser as judges.
      The times they are indeed a changin’.

• darcy the slutty twin says:

Lay off the cross-dresser! I love that loopy old fellow!

• darcy's evil twin says:

I love him as well. I’ve loved him since the 70s.

• Templar says:

Be fair DET. Steven is not a cross dresser. In fact wed. night he was remarkably dapper. He may, generally, be a bit flamboyant, but I’ve never seen him in a skirt.

• darcy's evil twin says:

LOL – Templar, my comment about Steven Tyler was intended as a joke (even though there’s nothing funny about most of what I posted) and I still have my vinyl copy of “Toys in the Attic”. If only I could find my KISS ARMY t-shirt! Even Mr. Slezak has made comments about Tyler wearing “your old auntie’s blouses”, or something like that. I am a child of the 70s. Trust me, I get it. It WAS funny when Tyler and Elise were wearing the same pants.

• Templar says:

DET: I know you were kidding. We are, I think, kindred spirits. I too have my TITA in vinyl as well as Draw The Line, Aerosmith, Get Your Wings, Pump etc. In fact my LP collection takes up way too much space [including Bon Jovi vinyl up to These Days]. all of Queen etc. I also have the 4 KISS solo albums complete with the Peter Max inserts that interlock to become a poster. Good grief! We are the rock equivalent of The Big Bang Theory!

• Lana says:

The racism comment is always being used in almost everything. I know where you are comming from DET though I never witnessed violence I do remember when I saw a Whites only drinking fountain in Mississippi and asking why? I love the cross dresser comment, however I love the way Stephen dresses because it satisfies the Hippie in me.

• Jason says:

**I was actually being sarcastic and went on to say the right person went home!

• darcy's evil twin says:

I apologize, Jason – it was really late last night and I missed the sarcasm. My comment about Steven Tyler being a cross-dresser was intended as a joke as well. It seems as though any time someone says something factual it’s either “racism” or “judgemental”.
            I hope Heejun has success someplace and I wish him well in life. I’m just relieved I’m retired and he won’t be working for me, LOL.

8. Jason says:

I finally agree with Slezak. That Nicki Minaj performance was the worst performance I’ve ever seen on American Idol!!! Which means it’s the worst performance that has ever been on television. Worse than Sanjaya!!! Absolutely horrendous. Who did she sleep with to get a record deal. I guess she supposedly is a good rapper but hey stick to rapping girl. That was honestly worse then Heidi Montag’s song!!! But hey Scotty surprised me. I really liked his performance!!! Where was that on Idol? Guess he’s been getting better!!!

9. wordgirl says:

phillip phillips is it for me. he can have an original amazing career outside the show, not sure anyone else has the originality to do so. elise is very cool. give me elise, phillip, and colton for top 3. forget the little ballad girls. we’ve seen all that before.

• Pot-kettle-black, buddy! We’ve seen the likes of P2 win the past four seasons. And frankly, he pales in comparison to them. Songs made his own yet sound the same don’t cut it for me. And as someone said in another blog, he’s gonna be Lee DeWyze Max (Think Pepsi Max.) What I think, P2’s in the running to become the next Gokey.

• Tahoe Mike says:

He’s better than Gokey, and doesn’t have a dead wife to keep reminding us of. I thought this week was his best so far.

• Robin says:

Really dude…we get it! You don’t like Phillip. But in no way is he at all like Danny Gokey. I can understand the comparison to Lee but Philllip is way better than Lee too. I love the energy P2 brings to the stage each week. I am with wordgirl…give me Phillip, Colton and Elise for top 3!

• I do think he’s good. Just not as good as people or the judges make him out to be. At best, Top 5. Putting words in my mouth is quite asinine.
          And what’s this energy he brings? ‘Cause from where I sit, I’m not lovin’ the flatline thing.

• wordgirl says:

I agree. Lee Dewyze was terrible! I watch idol every year and haven’t voted in a few years. For the first time in a long tine I see someone who I would pay money to see, as long as his original stuff is like what he did with Johnny Lang’s song. Hot all the way around.

10. donie says:

If I’d known it would come down to Heejun v Hollie in bottom two, I’d have done some voting for Heejun. Hollie has been boring. At first I thought I just didn’t dig the song (I don’t), but then realized I could’ve enjoyed Carrie Underwood or any like engaging performer doing Jesus/wheel. Heejun was entertaining and sounded good this week, better tonight. I’m not arguing his being voted off, but I found him very likable and would have enjoyed Heejun sticking around. His exit package was fun, and he was gracious in the farewell.

• For what it’s worth, he messed it up with his Billy Joel ditty. This week’s performance was just too little too late. And I didn’t particularly care for it. And from the looks of it, people have made up their minds about Heejun.

11. Andy J says:

The truth is that in my opinion Deandre is the weakest link and after his elimination the bottom three (or two) will always consist of strong singers-so every contestant is going to have to step up to the plate that much more because one off performance really could mean the end of the line.

12. Tahoe Mike says:

This is such a better week than last week. If things were up to me I’d have cut SanjAndre this week (or last week), but I can live with this. I really hope SanjAndre goes next, then things get messy.
    ~
    I loved Elise this week, that rocked!
    ~
    ’80s week next week, this could be a horror show. It amazes me that these kids think of that as their parents music. Oucccchhhh!

• Templar says:

You can’t be serious. There was some great stuff in the 80s. They could do an entire show just with the songs from Slippery When Wet. Or 80s Queen: Crazy Little Thing called Love, Under Pressure, I Want to Break Free [P2], etc.

• Tahoe Mike says:

Let us hope, because when you say ’80s I remember lots of synthesizers, and bad hair.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Do you remember David Cook singing Sharp Dressed Man with ZZ Top? YEAH!

• Robin says:

I checked out VH1 top 100 songs of the 80’s…there is some freakin’ awesome songs on that list. Could be an interesting week…if the PTB give them a decent list to choose from.

13. Ana Muti says:

The only person I have any interest in now that HJ is gone is Elise. She at least has some personality. I loved her vocals on WLoL, and want to hear more. I kind of like P2, but not enough to vote.

Jessica has a wonderful voice, but I’m honestly and truly tired of diva-ship. I’ll check back on her in 5 years. With any luck at all, she’ll have been living life which will bring some maturity to her vocals.

The rest? I’m actually not so interested in any of them. Elise will be the only reason I’m watching AI now.

14. Jaxguy says:

I try so hard, but I don’t get the crazy love for Phil. EVERYTHING sounds the same. His style does nothing for me. So based on the last couple of seasons he’ll probably win. Sorry DeAndre you are my next to last. If you go next week it would not make me sad. Next up Josh or Colton. Will be sad if any of the girls go soon. In order of preference of the top 4 for me all girls. Jessica, Elise, Hollie, Skylar. For me it would be a Jessican Elise finale with Jessica winning.

15. fiona says:

i was actually horrified by coltons arrangement of everything. I’m a big Lifehouse fan so I guess i’m particular about it but he just butchered “everything”.

I would really love a girl to win this season as they’re all pretty awesome, my votes for jessica however (sadly can’t even vote cuz im canadian). Don’t like DeAndre or Joshua, and Colton’s now on that list for this week =S

16. junebug says:

Thank God the Penguins played last night. I had somewhere to turn the tv while Ms. Minaj was performing. I am a big fan of Deandre’s beautiful voice. So glad to see he wasn’t on the stools of doom. Yes, and I’m in my 40’s. Also love his hair. It reminds me of my favorite Steeler.

17. Kate says:

“Was it just me, or did Joshua look like he was rocking a total look from the Thurston Howell III Collection”…… F*cl< Slezak you make me howl.

18. Carrie says:

Does anyone have a link to the last 3 minutes or so of the show? My DVR doesn’t like it when Idol runs over….

19. darcy's evil twin says:

Mr. Slezak, your comments about the exterior of the Idol Mansion and Jennifer’s dress were hilarious and hit the nail on the head! I saw that mansion, looked at my German husband and said, “One of your relatives from the Motherland clearly designed that house”.
    I also enjoyed the Ford music video more than any of them – I just wish I’d known they were going to film that video. I have a few TVs I would have donated to the effort.
    And next week – THE 80s!!!!!! yay. I like the 70s better, but the 80s will do. Big Hair, big shoulderpads, and someone had better do a Rick Springfield song. I am SO ready.

20. darcy's evil twin says:

Oh, and I also caught Jimmy Iovine’s comments about Elise’s age. To go even farther Deborah Harry was in her mid-30s when she had success with Blondie.

21. pjt says:

Not stating the obvious here but he was clearly to heejun for this competition.

22. MusicFan says:

I think it goes without saying that Phillip is winning that war. They are both Christian’s with strong faith in the Christian religion so they have a similar following in that area. There are the young girls and women who find them attractive who will vote, those who think they have the skills who vote for them weekly, and the tie breaker are those who adore(d) Heejun, who will now be voting for Phillip. Watch this kid take it to the top 3 easily but with a hope there is more melody along the way.

I think it was more a warning for Colton and a heads up to Joshua. Colton sang that song…well not very well due to his emotions. Joshua did a much better job fighting it back until the very end. But props for Jimmy reminding them ALL this is a competition and there are 8 boxers.

I think with the right mentoring and coaching DeAndre & Skylar are the most commercial ready opponents. Colton, Elise, and Phillip are just ready out the gate. Hollie, Jessica, and Joshua would need a larger investment to get them where they need to be to realize the measure of success (dollar figure in their heads) desired.

DeAndre, Skylar, Jessica, Joshua, and Hollie will all need some great song writers.

23. Jessica says:

Love the results. Everything was great besides Nicki performance (that was horrible!) Also liked the Bottom 3. I have been loving Jimmy’s take on things. The judges just seem like cheerleaders or pretty much noise but Jimmy’s laying it out there like it should be done! I agreed with everything he said ( a little less about the guys emotions but he is right). I fully agreed with what he said about DeAndre. Hollie is singing wrong songs, Skylar’s was no substance. They both need to switch. Skylar to take on something slower and Hollie to move around (take notes from each other girls!) Heejun needed to be gone-last week. If you want to be a star, act like one. I’m not interested in telling someone how they should know they are worth it or deserve it etc. Speaking of a star, I loved Scotty. I liked his from audition last year and so glad he’s doing so well :)

24. ssc says:

Deandre needs to be the next to go. Hubby (who says he doesn’t even like American Idol but watches with me every week) says Deandrea sounds like his nutz are in a vice and somebody is really cranking down! I agree with him. I’m a soprano myself, and he can hit notes as high as I can! WAY, WAY to much, Deandre!

25. Tone says:

The strongest performers left in order of “performance”

1. Phillip
    2. Elise (Who I’m rooting for)
    3. Skylar (She has a lot of confidence on stage)
    4. Colton
    5. Joshua
    6. Jessica
    7. Deandre
    8. Hollie

The strongest performers left in order of “vocals” (tone, control)

1. Joshua
    2. Elise
    3. Phillip
    4. Jessica
    5. Skylar
    6. Colton
    7. Hollie (She has an amazing tone but her control is really lacking. She needs a few more years.)
    8. Deandre (See comments for Hollie. And interesting that both showcased their vocals the best during Vegas week.)

I think at this point Elise and Phillip are the strongest girl and boy left in the competition but Jessica and Colton still have room for growth, which is to their advantage. Joshua is at a good point right now. His performance during PYT really up’ed him in the “performance” dept. He has to keep that up. Definitely keep it uptempo for next week. Skylar in the beginning was at a great point but now she has to work on song choice. Jimmy was right in that she’s losing sight of songs that have more melody. Songs with melody would only help her showcase her vocals (because she does have vocal power). She needs a ballad and she needs it now. Unfortunately Hollie and Deandre are not ready (they have great potential they just need more time), and they are growing but not fast enough to catch up with other contestants who are developing at a good speed(like Jessica and Colton). At this point I think Elise, Phillip, Jessica, and Colton have a good chance to make it to the top five as long as Elise and Phillip stay consistent in their performances, and Jessica and Colton continue to grow in theirs. Skylar and Joshua are fighting for the last spot in the top five. Hollie and Deandre are going to have to really set the bar higher for themselves in multiple areas to stay with the field. Hollie is the most in danger next week of being out of the competition.

26. blingedup says:

Michael, hope you get a Heejun interview! That will be highly entertaining.

27. MusicFan says:

80’s Theme Songs next week! WOOT! Would love it if:

Elise sang “Love Is A Battlefield” by Pat Benatar
    Phillip sang “Tainted Love” by Soft Cell
    Colton sang “Pride – In the Name of Love” by U2
    Joshua sang “Every Breath You Take” by The Police
    Hollie sang “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” by Queen
    Jessica sang “Ain’t Nobody” by Rufus & Chaka Khan
    DeAndre sang “1999” or “Kiss” by Prince (though I hear he’s not licensed for Idol)
    Skylar sang “Call Me” Blondie

• Templar says:

My wish list for 80s week:
      Deandre – Love You More Than I Can Say [Leo Sayer]
      P2 – Welcome To The Jungle [GNR]
      Hollie – Desperado – [Linda Ronstadt]
      Colton – Lady In Red [Chris DeBurgh]
      Jessica – What’s Love Got To Do With It [Tina Turner]
      Elise – Black Velvet [Alannah Myles]
      Skylar – Girls Just Want To have Fun [Cyndi Lauper]
      Joshua – Key largo [Bertie Higgins]

28. iamraven07 says:

Waiting for Slevak and Doolittle’s new Idology episode for this week! Please be available soon!

29. Elaine says:

Heejun was the right one to leave. I”d like to see DEandre go next. Hollie sing something upbeat please.
    It IRRITATED me when Ryan Seacrest was reading the tweets at the beginning and he read the ones for the 3 guys out loud in full, but with Hollie he just said “Hollie, did you see the tweet from Carrie Underwood?” She said “yes”, then he moved on to read the full tweets for the other guys.
    What the heck was that all about? GRRRRRRRRR

And yes, like last season, they are continually harder on the women than the men. DOUBLE GRRRRRRRR

30. Sandi says:

Well, I’m very happy Heejun is gone. Yes, I thought his vocals were much improved but he was – by far – my least favorite of the group.

As for my personal opinion on the rest of them:

Colton – has been my favorite but I agree that his performance this week was lacking. However, I think he’s shown great ability in previous weeks and I hope he steps it up a lot next week.

Phil Phil – I think he’s incredible but should change it up a bit – a ballad maybe? Something less predictable.

Jessica – Based purely on vocals, I would love to see her win. I think she is one of the best singers the show has seen in a very long time.

Hollie – I find her dull and monotonous. I don’t see any star power there.

Elise – Sorry, I don’t buy it. I’m not into her at all. Her performance this week was just okay for me. I’d put her right in the middle of the pack.

Deandre – I think what Jimmy said is legitimate. You’re either going to love him or hate him. I have found him terrible in the past but this week, I loved it. I think that with the right help, he could be very marketable. I’m glad he avoided the bottom 3 this week.

Joshua – Now, let’s be realistic. Is this guy going to be a pop star? No. Is he current? I don’t think so. I recognize his ability but I just don’t care. He doesn’t do anything for me.

Skylar – I love her energy and find her to be a dynamic entertainer. I hope she sticks around for awhile.

31. deedee says:

Please, somebody, tell me what the appeal is with P2!!! Slezak, why all the heaping praise for his “intensity”? That is not a musical rabbit hole that I want to fall into at all! His singing is unpleasant, his intensity is borderline psychotic, and I am truly uncomfortable watching him. Sitting through an entire Phil Phil concert would be torture for me — almost as much as sitting through a DeAndre falsetto fest.

32. Devon says:

This has to be the worst season ever. Everyone is either boring, utterly irrelevant in 2012, or both. Mostly both.

I’m sitting here pining for the thrills, action, and non-stop excitement of season nine.

33. jefrank4 says:

Can I just say what a huge pleasure it is to have you and Melinda Doolittle together every week on Idology? I’m not even really into AI anymore — too biased toward the young and the male, so I’ve moved on to The Voice — but you guys are so smart and so much fun together.

34. Red in Denver says:

As to Michael’s questions at the end of this article: Did the right person go home? Were you suprised to see Skylar in jeopardy? And what did you think of Nicki Minaj? ……

In reverse order: Borrowing from the immortal cult movie: “Office Space” — Nicki Minaj is a no talent ass clown.

I wasn’t surprised to see any of them in jeopardy, because, for the most part, we’rd down to where they’re all either good or very good.

As for me, I think Heejun has a beautiful voice/tone – although he didn’t always show that in each of his performances. I thought BOTH version of “A Song for You” were absolutely beautiful.

I would have rather seen either Colton (who hits at least one annoying ‘whiny’ note in each of his performances) OR Phillip (who is nothing more than a Dave Matthews impersonator whose songs all sound the same) go home.

35. Joseph says:

Question ,
    Has any Idol ever been excluded from the Tour or Final show because of antics ?
    Asking because after the crap Heejun pulled after the show it is would not surprise me if they never mention him again.

36. Pam says:

I hope anyone but Elise or DeAndre wins. Elise has a terrible attitude and thinks she is owed the title of AI, and when DeAndre sings I mute the TV so my ears do not bleed.

• donie says:

Um, can you give any evidence Elise thinks she is owed AI crown??

• Templar says:

The thing about Elise that bugs me is when she does runs she illustrates them with her hands as though she’s teaching kindergarten kids where to go up and down. Apart from the fact that I still wouldn’t like her even if she never did that. LOL

37. Anne says:

I agree with previous posts that the real stars are Philip & Elise. Yes Jessica too but she reminds me of a Disney Princess.

I find Colton rather annoying. I think he is a poser. Philip and Elise are my favorites and would love it if one of them won.

38. Badjuggler says:

I feel all of the chaff has been eliminated, therefore the judge’s save will be invoked this week.

39. Made says:

It was time for HeeJun to leave but I think he takes away a lot of experience and exposure he will certainly put to good use :) Someone needs to hire him asap as correspondent, for a comedic role or something! An interview with him will be undoubtedly appreciated, Michael. ;) Now waiting (im)patiently for your next idology with Melinda. So much to talk about!

Regarding the remaining contestants, I do not agree these are the best top 8 ever, at all. IMO, DeAndre, Hollie, Joshua and Skylar might leave any time now and won’t be missed (by me, anywho, lol) and I would trade any of them for Erika! At this point during season 7, we had David, Archie, Jason, Michael Johns, Carly, Brooke, Kristy Lee and Syesha. Any of these compared back to back are much better than this season’s top 8. Just IMO :)

40. James says:

Really America? You like Deandre crappy singing over the other 3 people? What a joke! Guess I’ll have to mute him from now on…I’d rather eat dirt then hear him sing again…If hes not gone next week that is a total injustice to the remaining contestants…Boy shouldn’t of even been in the top 13 to begin with…

41. nchamlong2 says:

Nicki Minaj’s “performance” was a joke. It was very obvious that she was lip-synching! Thankfully, I DVR’d last nights episode so was able to fast-forward through most of her song!

42. Sam says:

Peggi Blu likes Phillip the best, so I am going to root for him because I trust her judgement.

43. Zoey says:

If we’re going to be realistic, Michael, we really shouldn’t be that surprised that Skylar landed in the bottom 3. People complain about girls going “ballad-heavy” but it is possible to be one-note in their performances being uptempo and country-fied. And other than Whitney/Stevie night, Skylar hasn’t shown America another side that isn’t “sassy country gal”. And as we all know – it doesn’t matter how good you can be but rather how America sees you. And if they see you doing too much of the same thing as a girl…you’re in trouble.

44. Zoey says:

Also, yay for Queen Elise being safe!!! :)

45. zaza says:

When they were touring the mansion, did anyone besides me notice how Skyler kept trying to grab the best of everything….fighting Heejun for the the best bedroom, practically shoving Holly off the best bed, plopping on the front chair in the media room shouting “this one’s mine?” It just put me off her.

Also, having re-watched the 3 younger girls doing the Madonna songs, I really feel that Holly has the best voice out of the three. She managed to rock the uptempo songs. I hope she picks some fun 80’s song next week and shows everyone that she can be more than just a ballad singer.

46. syb says:

Yes the right person left at just the right time.
    Yes I was somewhat surprised to see Skylar in the bottom 3 with DeAndre still running free.
    Yes Ryan’s line about Jimmy taking a moment from being diabolical was hysterical, but it’s hard to disagree with him this week. He’s right. Hollie and Jessica are in direct competition with each other, and one will have to go soon for the other to survive.

47. FreeHaley says:

“* Thank you, Jimmy Iovine, for pointing out that Stevie Nicks and Annie Lennox were in their mid-to-late 20s before they had their first hits, and by default, reminding the major-label cabal that a 28-year-old woman like Elise Testone could turn out to be a totally viable hitmaker.”

Exactly, not to mention, Madonna, she was mid-twenties.

Heck look at Madonna too, she was almost 26 when she first burst onto the scene in a big way. And she still had no trouble staying on top of pop charts for the entire heart of the 80s through the early 90s.

48. FreeHaley says:

“* Scotty McCreery sounded solid as ever on “Watertower Town,” though a lyric like “corn grows high/crime stays low” is so bad it wouldn’t even make it past the first round of that Jason Derulo/Coke “finish the lyrics” competition to which I paid almost no attention on Wednesday.”

Pretty bad lyric, not to mention, has he ever checked out the crime rate in Durham, N.C. and surrounding suburbs? Sorry man, the crime is not low, it’s far higher than all similar such areas in the Northeast or West Coast that people down there are so afraid of. Far, far higher. Scary high. Miles higher than the corn.

49. FreeHaley says:

“Bottom Three
    Skylar Laine (are you FREAKIN KIDDING ME, AMERICA?)”

I hope not. Wow, I’m actually starting to get some faith in A.I. again. This is interesting.

50. 5talentgirl says:

You guys should listen to Deandre’s studio version of ‘Sometimes I Cry’, then tell me the guy can’t sing. He has an amazing voice. Admittedly his voice could have even more pathos, but he’s only 17 so he’s gor plenty of time to develop that.

Seriously, if you love R&B soul, you KNOW this young man, with his looks and talent, is going to go FAR! Check him out on Youtube. Wow, he’s good.