American Idol Season 11 Top 9 Results Recap: Nicks and Bruises [Updated]

heejun hanIf you’re going to get eliminated from American Idol, it might as well happen on the same week when five of the nine contestants received standing ovations from the judges.

Better still if you were present to witness Nicki Minaj (accompanied by the Old Navy Backup Dancers) lipsynching and boob-tucking her way through some kind of hootenanny that is Exhibit A in proving pretty much anyone can have a hit “song” at any time in these crazy (possible end) times.

And added bonus points if you managed to score some insightful, one-on-one mentoring from living legend Stevie Nicks, who swept in and out of the Idolverse like a gauzy scarf caught on a stiff spring breeze. (And she is dancing, away, from us now. She was just a wish. She was just — a wish.)

American Idol Recap: One-Night Standing

Before we get to the meat of this recap — how the results played out — a few thoughts and questions on the telecast:

American Idol: Advice (and Fantasy Set Lists!) for the Season 11 Top 9

* The Idol mansion looks pretty swank once you get past the front door, but from an architectural standpoint, the exterior looks like an East German office building circa 1974.

* Was Jennifer’s crazy blue and gray dress part of a scrap-fabric origami design challenge on J.Lo’s Drag Race? (I know, I know, it’s not an actual show, but it should be!)

* Any suspense about DeAndre’s possible elimination was washed away after Eric Benet took the stage to congratulate the soft-spoken teen on his rendition of “Sometimes I Cry.” I mean, there’s no way the show’s producers — or Benet’s publicist — would’ve have allowed the moment to happen if DeAndre had turned out to be the lowest vote-getter.

* I don’t want a heavy-metal “Ford Music Video,” I want a hair-metal theme for Top 7 week!

* Thank you, Jimmy Iovine, for pointing out that Stevie Nicks and Annie Lennox were in their mid-to-late 20s before they had their first hits, and by default, reminding the major-label cabal that a 28-year-old woman like Elise Testone could turn out to be a totally viable hitmaker.

* Kinda chilling the way Jimmy made it sound like there’s only room for one ballad-centric diva — Jessica or Hollie — in the late stages of the competition. What are the odds that he ever decides that viewers also need to choose sides in a Team Colton vs. Team Phillip fan war?

* I’m usually okay with Nicki Minaj’s outré brand of ridiculata, but on a show that demands pitch perfection of its contestants, shouldn’t musical guests be required to, y’know, actually sing their songs, not just rely on backing tracks when they run out of breath? That said, I did have a chuckle when the crazily attired rapper perkily offered her services as a guest judge in the coming weeks. Hey, she can’t be much more annoying than Randy.

* Was it just me, or did Joshua look like he was rocking a total look from the Thurston Howell III Collection?

* Interesting that Jimmy came down pretty hard on Colton and Joshua for letting their emotions take over and breaking down during their respective performances of “Everything” and “Without You.” Me? I’m a fan of the man-cry.

* Scotty McCreery sounded solid as ever on “Watertower Town,” though a lyric like “corn grows high/crime stays low” is so bad it wouldn’t even make it past the first round of that Jason Derulo/Coke “finish the lyrics” competition to which I paid almost no attention on Wednesday.

* Quote of the night, from Seacrest, right before Jimmy presented Scotty with a platinum record: “Jimmy is going to take a moment from being diabolical…”

* Saddest/funniest moment of Season 11: Skylar not being able to get her diminutive frame up onto the Silver Stool of Doom. (See! Nature abhors a raucous country gal landing in the Bottom 3!)

And with that, let’s talk results results…

Sent Immediately to Safety (in Order of Announcement)
Phillip Phillips
Elise Testone
Colton Dixon (No Seacreast fakeout!)
Joshua Ledet (Total Seacrest fakeout, and a spontaneous hug for BFF Hollie on the Silver Stools of Doom!)
Jessica Sanchez
DeAndre Brackensick

Bottom Three
Hollie Cavanagh
Heejun Han
Skylar Laine (are you FREAKIN KIDDING ME, AMERICA?)

First One Sent Back to Safety
Skylar Laine

Lowest Vote Getter
Heejun Han

Last-Chance Performance
Say what you want about Heejun — and I’ve said plenty — but his encore presentation of “A Song For You” was decidedly stronger than his Wednesday night version. Heejun showed his creme-fraiche tone to its best advantage, hitting every note with earnest emphasis, as if he knew that Steven Tyler’s axe was about to swing at any second. In a sense, this may have been the best possible outcome for Heejun, maximizing his exposure and extending America’s good will toward him — before he outlasted any of the eight superior vocalists in the competition.

And on that note, I turn things over to you.

Did the right person go home? Were you suprised to see Skylar in jeopardy? And what did you think of Nicki Minaj?

Comments (276)

• so glad Hollie didnt get the axe, i hope she thinks of this as a wake up call and do some uptempo song next week

Comment by rod – March 29, 2012 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved when she sung Change by Carrie Underwood in vegas! I guess it’s not completely uptempo but it’s faster than her other songs

Comment by Shana – March 29, 2012 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally agree. This should be a wakeup call to try things a bit differently. It’s not good when they compare her to Jessica, because Jessica is in another league. She needs to stand apart and make herself really connect with the audience.
        Definitely right person went home. There are too many great voices left, and the judges need to be smart about saving that person, in case the audience goes nuts. Skylar being in Bottom 3 was crazy, but her going 2nd last night, and getting a little forgotten among all the standing ovations is probably the biggest culprit.

Comment by idolbethejudge.blogspot.com – March 29, 2012 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I like Hollie who has her innocence helping her attract an audience, but unlike Kelly P and Lauren of previous Idol seasons , Hollie is still that deer freezing when the headlights are coming at her.
          Unless Holly matures as a performer she should be in danger next week. BTW ,this is not impossible but it will be her big challenge.
          As for Skylar she is out in the next few weeks unless can some how have a performance that connects at a deep emotional level with the audience. Not seeing her being that vulnerable though so she is probably gone before we reach top 5.

Comment by Joseph Angelo – March 29, 2012 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • DeAndre, Hollie and Joshua are only great singers. Don’t think they’re going to achieve superstardom status. Colton and Skylar are the most commercial of the finalists. But I think Elise, Jessica and Phillip are the real stars of this season – plus Heejun. He may not be the best singer, but he is one of my two favorite contestants EVER (the other one is Brooke White). I can’t think about a more likeable contestant. Idol is going to be boring now he’s gone…

Simon Cowell should hire him to host The X Factor!

Comment by Lili – March 29, 2012 09:33 PM PDT
          • Hollie is NOT a star and that’s what the show wants. They want stars. Heejun was not a STAR. Those that have star quality are Elise, Deandre, and (cough) Jessica.

Comment by Sallyinchicago – March 30, 2012 04:53 AM PDT
          • It’s hard or me to believe that there are people who think Deandre is a star. He will never be a star; just doesn’t have the chops for it.

Comment by ET – March 30, 2012 05:57 AM PDT
          • OMG ,, !!!
            Anyone else see this from the about Heejun , found this on the Dally News out of NY ,,
            Freshly eliminated “American Idol” contestant Heejun Han wasted no time burning his bridges on his way out — claiming that guest mentor Sean (Diddy) Combs was “kinda drunk” during his training session.

The 22-year-old Queens resident got the boot Thursday night, after surprising many critics for lasting as long as he did. And he probably won’t be receiving a contract offer from Diddy anytime soon.

“You do not wanna be drunk when you’re coming to American Idol session, OK?,” Han told a reporter for syndicated TV show “The Insider” about the rapper-turned-entrepeneur mentoring before a publicist could intercede.

RELATED: NYC’S HAN ELIMINATED ON ‘IDOL’

The Korean-American from Flushing committed an even worse sin for an alumnus of “Idol” — he plugged the distinguished competition in a number of exit interviews.

“I was rooting for Jeremy, Sharon or Erika…but didn’t happen so I’m not gonna root any for now,” he told “The Insider.” “I’m just gonna watch ‘The Voice.’”

Comment by Joseph Angelo – March 30, 2012 09:08 AM PDT
        • Skylar will most likely be eliminated soon. I don’t know why Michael is shocked. Her voice is boring. This aint a energy competition, its about having THE VOICE.

Comment by not surprised – March 29, 2012 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • No, American Idol is about fitting in a box, being the most commercial/mainstream contestant and then being willing to let people who think they know better change everything about you. You almost don’t even have to be able to sing at all

Comment by sarah – March 29, 2012 10:30 PM PDT
          • She’s plateau’d. Brings nothing new. But gotta like her energy.

Comment by Sallyinchicago – March 30, 2012 04:53 AM PDT
          • wrong show… better singers continually get voted off before lesser singers … of course , there have also been some questionable choices on the voice this season as well…and those were the judges’ faults…so go figure

Comment by justafan – March 30, 2012 06:33 AM PDT
          • Agreed! Michael, get over her. I was the only one in our “Bottom 3 voting pool” to put Skylar where she belongs.

Boring voice. And she looks 40 years old.

Comment by Alienate – March 30, 2012 09:41 AM PDT
      • With good performances the next couple of weeks, Hollie should be able to outlast Deandre, at least, and I hope Colton as well. After that, she is probably toast unless she shows that she can actually do more than she has so far. Here’s how I hope/expect the rest of the weeks shake out.

Top 8– DeAndre gone
        Top 7– Colton gone
        Top 6– Philip gone [I really don't get him.]
        Top 5– Joshua gone
        Top 4– Hollie gone
        Top 3– Skylar gone
        Finale– Elise wins!

Comment by sfbsailor – March 30, 2012 02:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Hahahaha. This is the most delusion predictions/wish list I’ve ever seen! Try to be a bit more realistic. If you think the Top 4 is gonna be all of one gender, you must be on Paula’s meds. It’ll be far more balanced than that. And since you said you “expect” this, expect both Hollie/Skylar to be gone before the Top 4. And at least one of them to be gone within the next 3 weeks.

On top of that, Elise winning is still pretty unfeasible, given her early lack of support.

Comment by ePastor James (@Heteromo) – March 30, 2012 05:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I disagree. In my opinion I believe that the final 3 will be Colton, Philip and Elise.

Comment by Doreen – March 30, 2012 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Wouldn’t this be sweet. :)

Comment by reen – March 30, 2012 07:15 AM PDT
          • Elise, I wouldn’t mind. Colton, don’t particularly care for him. P2, so over him.

Comment by Cup of Joe – March 30, 2012 09:41 AM PDT
          • Kind of the way I see it, but you gotta watch out for that country vote. I see Skylar as a threat, but she’s gotta tone it down a bit.

Comment by Name That Tune – March 30, 2012 11:35 AM PDT
        • FINALE !!!! JESSICA AND ELISE !!!!!! JESSICA WINS !!!!

Comment by bj – March 30, 2012 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Get uses to Colton, he’s the Tim Tebow of AI. He’s in there in until top 3 for sure (unfortuneately)!

Comment by Sunny Mc (@mcdeallover) – March 30, 2012 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I hope not. I find his hair very unpleasant to look at and his voice doesn’t appeal to me, either.

Comment by betsy – March 30, 2012 09:04 AM PDT
          • let us not just base on the cuteness of the person..TALENT mUST!

Comment by georich (@narsgeo) – March 31, 2012 01:10 AM PDT
        • Sorry sfbsailor: there is no way a guy will be the eliminee for the next four weeks running. And don’t you think the Save with a consequent double elimination will come into play?

Comment by Tom Fühl-Ray – March 30, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • It would only be a single elimination, thanks to Jermaine’s DQ. That’s the only way of filling the void in the schedule.

Comment by ePastor James (@Heteromo) – March 31, 2012 12:03 AM PDT
        • JESSICA IS THE AMERICAN IDOL 2012..watch out

Comment by georich (@narsgeo) – March 31, 2012 01:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agreed. Hollie has got some serious talent but she gotta steps out from the heavy-ballad zone. Deandre should go next week then it’s gonna be the best Top 7 in the history of AI.

Comment by Leo – March 29, 2012 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe she’s confused by the double standard praising of Phillip Phillips, including by Michael Slezak. Doing the same thing every week is ok for him, so why not Hollie?

Comment by PunkSkittle (@GashleyT) – March 29, 2012 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Phil, despite his signature style or maybe because of it, is a dynamic performer, while Holly is not. With Phil, you feel like you are at a concert, whereas watching Holly sing is like being at a school recital. Having said that, I DO hope that Holly finds a way to stand out because I think she has a lot of natural talent.

Comment by zaza – March 29, 2012 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • “watching Holly sing is like being at a school recital.”

Perfect analogy. Hopefully she is gone next week. At least Deandre mixes it up a little and knocked it out on “Master Blaster”.

Comment by Gorm – March 29, 2012 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Because ballads are boring?

Comment by jef – March 29, 2012 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That double standard is just bull. And people hating on the two teen divas for being monotonous should look at their own starting-to-get-one-note P2, no?

Comment by Joseph Padilla (@jpad319) – March 29, 2012 10:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree. Girls need to be change it up, sing uptempo but guys can stay in their comfort zones. I am starting to hate this show!

Comment by Erica – March 30, 2012 05:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Diva girls who change it up get eliminated. Think Pia Toscano.

Comment by Name That Tune – March 30, 2012 02:01 PM PDT
      • Because Phil is amazing, and Hollie is not (or was not until she showed signs of life this week).

Comment by Tarc – March 29, 2012 11:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Hollie is just too young; from her comments it seems she does not yet know what a listener wants in a song, much less how to give it to them. She will be golden in a few years, but not just yet.

Comment by Yo' – March 30, 2012 05:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is Holly from Ireland or Scotland? I know I’m an ignorant American who can’t tell the accents apart, I just want to know.

Comment by Dummy – March 30, 2012 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She’s from Liverpool, but came to the U.S. when she was pretty young, so her accent is really a mixture of a Northern English & American which ends up sounding kind of Australian, to me, anyway.

Comment by 30CamdenSquare – March 30, 2012 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Right person went home.

Comment by Cavaknights (@Cavaknights) – March 29, 2012 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • but the other 2 in the bottom 3…. not so much

Comment by Ryan (@GottaVote4DREW) – March 29, 2012 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Can’t agree 100% on that. To me, the weakest contenders right now (with Heejun) are Deandre and Hollie. Jimmy was SO right about Deandre’s falsetto (how come people complained about the Lusky Stank last year, but they put up with Deandre’s ultrasonic extravaganza?), and same with Hollie (she’s just too bland, and to me, she doesn’t really reach that threshold between “not too bad” and “she pulled it off proficiently”, especially with such “diva” songs).
        And just as a reference, my fave is Elise (as a total package), followed by Colton/P2 (stylistically) and Joshua (chops-wise). I think Jessica and Skylar will end up right up there, due to the acrobatics and genre, respectivelly, but tbh, I’m not so impressed with Jessica, since I need something other than “look, I can copy triple backflips vocally, I can even copy the emotion” with certain breathing issues, and while I think Skylar isn’t that bad, I don’t really connect with her in the end.

Comment by Delirious – March 30, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m just glad the relevant voters finally defeated the teenage girls this week. I’ve been waiting for this to happen for weeks. Now we can all rejoice!

Comment by Bryce – March 29, 2012 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I am not a teenage girl, but what is a ‘relevant voter’, and how did they affect this weeks outcome?

Comment by Ben – March 29, 2012 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think Bryce is suggesting that us Old Folks finally got off our behinds and voted for Elise, which is so not true. I sat down while I voted for her.

And incidentally, this old broad has been voting for her since the beginning.

Comment by zaza – March 29, 2012 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • This old broad has been voting for her as well. I’m thrilled Elise was safe!

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 29, 2012 07:15 PM PDT
          • I guess what I’m suggesting is, given that Deandre, Phil and Colton are not in the bottom 3, and I don’t think Heejun is really the teenage girl choice – I’m not sure Bryce is right. Heejun seems to me to have lost his two-way battle with deandre due to teenage girl voting.

Comment by Ben – March 29, 2012 07:19 PM PDT
      • When I was a teenage girl I voted for Kelly, Tamyra Grey, Melinda Doolittle. Definitely not Justin Guarini. So don’t blame the teenage girls! lol

Comment by A – March 29, 2012 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You were probably off at +2 sigma on the normal distribution curve of teenage smarts! Congrats!
          Most teenybopper girls are probably voting based on cuteness not talent.

Comment by sfbsailor – March 30, 2012 02:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show just became 10 times less interesting to watch!
    Though, I can still count on SKYLAR to bring the funk!

Comment by RodMod – March 29, 2012 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t disagree more. The right person went home, and now there’s actually a competition without any clowns to try and throw a wrench in it.

Comment by Jess – March 29, 2012 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Now there’s a bunch of footage of “not witty enough” people to sit through.

Except maybe Phillip and Skylar.

BTW, I loves me some ELISE!

Comment by RodMod – March 29, 2012 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve always thought that once Heejun went home (as he was always going to), they should bring him back in an informal capacity to interview the remaining contestants week by week. That way we could keep that patented Heejun charm without getting exposed to his erratic song styling.
      Although I gotta admit, I was kind of expecting him to last one more week. I realize I’m one of the few who thinks this, but I found his Top 9 performance of A Song For You to be pretty good, behind only his Stevie Wonder cover as his best outing of the live shows. That still didn’t make it particularly great, but I enjoyed it more than Hollie’s version of Jesus Take The Wheel. At any rate, I’m not too broken up to see him go. He was never long for this competition and the other vocalists are, objectively speaking, more talented. It was the right time.
      Well, actually the right time was LAST week, but we can’t have everything.

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – March 29, 2012 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I loved Heejun last night and his farewell performance was even better.

I agree that they should keep him around in some capacity.

Comment by Jennifer – March 29, 2012 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m pretty sure “funk” does not mean what you think it means, RodMod. Cuz what Skylar does? That ain’t it.

Comment by Ruby – March 29, 2012 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, I’m sure Skylar is a huge George Clinton fan. LOL

Comment by Templar – March 29, 2012 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Deandre should’ve been in the Bottom 3, and NOT Skylar. Hope she stays away from the B3 for at least awhile.

Comment by Andrea – March 29, 2012 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m hoping this was a move on AI’s part because I remember Ryan telling Scotty toward the end of last year that he’d NEVER been in the bottom 3.

Comment by Elizabeth Christmas – March 30, 2012 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!!!!!!!!
    Send DeAndre next week, and I’ll be thrilled with the Top 7…..

Comment by PFitzDC – March 29, 2012 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES !!!!! Tonight America got it right. Props to Heejun for going out with class and dignity! DeAndre needs to be the next one cut.

Comment by Stephie – March 29, 2012 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Get use to seeing DeAndre around the old R & B crowd are coming back for this kid.

Comment by 48np – April 3, 2012 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hollie and Skylar didnt deserve bottom 3!!!!!!!!!! but it was heejun’s time to go. however, if we judge on last night, deandre should have left!!!!

Comment by Ryan (@GottaVote4DREW) – March 29, 2012 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *BEING SARCASTIC*
      Hi! I’m 13-year-old Suzie Suburbia and I just ADORE Colton Dixon and Phillip Phillips. <3<3<3 They are soooo ADORBS! ;P But most of all I am in l<3ve with Deandre Brackensick!!!!!! He is so freakin' cute and his hair is more exuberant than my own! I voted for him until my fingers bled. He is so frikkin CUTE! And so frikkin' sexy! *_* *_* *_*
      <3<3<3<3<3<3
      Did I mention how caaaayute he is?
      <3<3<3<3<3
      I want him to be my nearly 18-years-old BF for like 4eva until Justin Bieber dumps Selena Gomez 4 me!!!!

HE IS SOOOOO CUTE!!!!! <3<3<3<3

Comment by StereotypicalSuzie – March 29, 2012 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • **NOT BEING SARCASTIC** I’m nowhere near a teenage girl and I actually like the way DeAndre sings. I didn’t mind hearing him sing completely in falsetto last night (and he sounded even better on the studio version). He’s my favorite contestant left in the competition. I voted like crazy for him (along with Joshua, Jessica and Colton). I like the guy’s voice. I don’t think he’s the weakest singer left although I wouldn’t single out my least favorites since they all sing better than I ever will. I’m not saying the “teenage girl” comments are farfetched but there are people who really think DeAndre, Phillip, Colton and even Heejun are great singers and would buy their music regardless of how cute they may or may not be. Also, what’s so wrong about being a teenage girl? Their tastes and opinions aren’t any less valid than anyone else’s. I mean “most talented”, “cutest”, etc. is subjective.

Comment by Sandy – March 29, 2012 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • @Sandy, I like DeAndre too and I’m not a teeny bopper. I love his falsetto and I love how he can go either way with his voice and yes I love his hair. Of course I’m an old hippie so that’s why I dig the hair.

Comment by Lana – March 29, 2012 11:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Lana, i completely agree. I’m in my forties and I think his voice his incredible. Also love the hair. Makes me think of my favorite Steeler. :o)

Comment by junebug – March 30, 2012 03:14 AM PDT
        • Ah, the subjective nature of musical tastes. And I mean that in a good way.

I personally can’t stand falsetto singing. Nor do I enjoy “runs”. The style of singing DeAndre employs doesn’t work for me, and I would NEVER buy or even listen to on the radio the music I expect that he would put out. But hey … some people do. And that is ok. At this point, I am firmly on Team Elise, although I do worry that she doesn’t have enough voting support to go all the way. However, every week she stays I will appreciate it and hope for one more.

Comment by Kevin – March 30, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m a 48 year old man and I voted for the first time this season after this show and gave several votes to Deandre and a couple of votes to Elise. Deandre’s performance is the only one that I rewound and listened to again….partly because I was totally surprised by it and had to listen to it again just to make sure I heard it right. I voted for him because I saw/heard his potential in that performance that I don’t think we’ve seen yet and am hoping we begin to see a surge. I agree with Jlo that I could stand to listen to much more of that style of music/singing on idol and on my ipod. I plan to download the song. Was it perfect? No. But with that performance Deandre differentiated himself in a good way. My motivation for voting for Elise was purely because I think she is better than bottom 3 and I really liked the “dreams” duet. Her performance of WLL did not have me jumping out of my chair the way that Led Zep always did…..it was just lacking the raw passion and energy. I think the reason everyone is going crazy over it is because the song itself is rocking and while Elise didn’t bring anything special to it…..she did no harm. If you don’t agree with me, YouTube a Led Zep performance of that song……it’ts raw, it’s passionate and it’s sexy!

Comment by DG – March 30, 2012 05:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I really admired Elise for making a bold choice and thought she presented herself well but I agree that it was too much song, especially in a shortened time frame that only allowed peeks of its potential…but maybe this will give Philip some ideas on doing something different or maybe Joshua could do some Hendrix (If Six Was Nine?) or some Eisley Brothers (how about Deandre’s falsetto attacking Who’s That Lady with some smokin’ electric guitar)…maybe IDOL should scrap Barry Manilow night for an English Bluesrocker Night with Eric Clapton as the mentor

Comment by seattlejohn449 – March 30, 2012 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I don’t know, I’ve seen Led Zeppelin in concert and I thought Elise was perfect with the song—she’s singing as a woman would sing it and that would be different than how a guy would sing it. I’m in my mid 40′s and I like DeAndre—I think he’s in danger of leaving next week if he doesn’t use some more of his middle voice, but I really enjoyed his song this week and I’m not big on R&B.

As for all the P2 hating—just because some of you don’t get it doesn’t mean he isn’t great. Even Stevie Nicks sees it, and all the other mentors saw it too. I certainly see it and it has nothing to do with him being “cute” —although that sure doesn’t hurt ;-D I think Colton is going to be around because he’s with GOD’S ARMY and those type of people are going to vote their fingers off for him—-I’m not saying he isn’t good, because I really believe he is—I think he could use some more mentoring with his voice but his piano playing and his passion are off the charts! I don’t understand all the Skylar hate, too—-she’s also really, really good—on top of her energy level. There isn’t a bad apple in the bunch—some people need more work than others—but they are all phenomenal in their own way. As for my top 3, I’m hoping it’s Phillip, Elise and Joshua—although I am torn between Phillip and Elise for the win. Joshua has made me tear up nearly every time he has sung—and again, I not a huge fan of R&B or Gospel but Joshua gets me every time. I also think it would be a toss-up between Joshua and Colton. It’s just too hard this season to really narrow it down—I may think one thing this week and then next week someone different will completely blow me away. As long as Elise is in the final 3, I’m a happy camper. (In my perfect world, Haley would have won last year—but I appreciate Scotty and Lauren as well)

I really liked Hollie this week—as did Carrie Underwood—I think that with Hollie singing a country song, or Skylar being so obviously country, people are just gonna hate on them because they hate country—which is unreasonable but that’s just how people are ;-/. Jessica. WOW is she GOOD!! I think she needs to do a lot of growing yet, though, I don’t think she would be ready for the Idol crown, she needs more personality.

I don’t understand all the hate—some of you are just plain nasty!! It’s sad that you can’t go on a forum without seeing people just ripping up complete strangers because they can—you don’t have to like the contestants, but you don’t have to be jerks about it, either. Ripping up people for their weight, saying an 18 year old looks 40—-judging anyone based on their looks is SO middle school and nasty. I didn’t really care for HeeJun, but I’m not going to sit here and rip him a new one because he isn’t my piece of cake.

Comment by Marsaili – March 30, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Ok….so I was just about to agree with you that maybe this is as far as a female could take this song without crossing a line, but I can’t get passed the way Robert Plant always reminded me of a sexy female when he performed. I know….as a straight guy, I can’t believe I just typed those words….lol. So it leads me to my next conclusion….I cannot think of anyone, male or female, that can pull off singing whole lotta love in the sexy androginistic way that Robert Plant did without crossing over into pornographic territory….which then supports my original point that while Elise was really good, it just doesn’t compare. She should stick with Stevie Nicks type of music. Oh and if any straight guys out there get my point about Robert Plant and the sexy female thing…..I would appreciate you backing me up…:)

Comment by DG – March 30, 2012 02:42 PM PDT
        • Some of us old rythym and blues people are starting to take note, DeAndre does not have just the young girl votes, he’s also awakening the spirit of the old R & B crowd we haven’t heard this music for sometime I just hope Jimmy I. understands that not all America are tasteless in our music standards, these final 8 young people are really special this year, and I for one will not be critical of any of them, even though i’d prefer certain music over others. God Bless each one of them.

Comment by 48np – April 3, 2012 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was good for Skylar to be in the bottom three. Now next week she will have stronger voting from scared fans.

Comment by Ben – March 29, 2012 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, next week SHE will be stronger from the scare!

Comment by My Alter Ego – March 29, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • agree with you both. although elise is my fav, i really enjoy skylar’s performances and actually her voice as well. i’m hoping she picks something that she can really dig into both performance-wise and vocally for next week, as she did with ‘stay with me’ (which is one of my fav performances from this season).

Comment by elisefan44 – March 29, 2012 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Only if Skylar looks at WHY she was in the bottom 3. I see her talent and her appeal to a certain segment of the audience, but man, does she pick songs that make her sound redundant. Change it up girl!

Comment by Name That Tune – March 30, 2012 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Right person went home, and not only that–we now have more ladies in the top 8 than we have since season SEVEN.

Comment by Melanie S – March 29, 2012 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t remember the last time the top 8 was equal in terms of gender. I hope we don’t lose a female next week!

Comment by Shana – March 29, 2012 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The problem with women on “American Idol” reminds me of a joke I once heard-in order to get into heaven, men have to spell the word “God”, while women have to spell the word “Albuquerque”. It seems the men are overpraised for mediocre performances while the ladies have to fight for every crrumb of praise-and I get the vibe from JLo that she is a woman who likes being the queen bee and isn’t particularly fond of other women who she sees as competition,either now or down the line. Having said that, I DO hope Hollie and Skylar stick around a LONG time. I also found Jimmy’s comparison of Hollie or Jessica callous; I don’t remember him saying anything similar about Phillip or Colton.

Comment by Andy J – March 29, 2012 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think maintaining a higher age would also help level the playing field. Jessica and Holly are not just female, they are also very young contestants and it shows. Deandre also suffers from age infirmity. Those performers that have been around are simply more complex and more interesting.

Comment by Yo' – March 30, 2012 05:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • JESSICA MIGHT BE YOUNG !!! BUT SHE IS ONE OF THE BEST SINGERS THIS YEARS !

Comment by bj – March 30, 2012 06:45 AM PDT
  • sorry to anyone who suffered through whatever garbage nicki minaj performed. I luckily changed the channel for that.

on another note, congrats to Scotty for going platinum! and he’s improved on his mic-holding :p

Comment by Shana – March 29, 2012 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The right result and I think Heejun was OK with it. He’ll make some cash on the tour and got some exposure. It’s all good. As for the guest talent, NM made me wish it was Naima instead. Scotty was superb! A definite country star, charisma all over the shop and didn’t miss a trick. Well done, Scotty!

Comment by Templar – March 29, 2012 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Things won’t be quite as much fun without Heejun. I always looked forward to seeing what/how he would perform. **sigh** At least he’s on the tour.

Glad Skylar was safe! That was a surprise.

Comment by blingedup – March 29, 2012 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was surprised Hollie was in the bottom three and stunned Skylar was there. That was a bit of a surprise.
      I thought Jimmy Iovine’s comments were pretty much on target.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 29, 2012 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Don’t buy what Jimmy’s saying. He knows who’s in danger. He’s also pretty inconsistent with his comments. He’s pretty high on a certain contestant the night before but when that contestant is in danger, he’ll criticize them. Also, didn’t these kids rehearse with him? Why does he always act like he had no idea what these people are gonna do on performance night?!

Comment by kraken – March 29, 2012 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You know, people get sent to the Bottom 3 for a reason. If they’re out of the Bottom 3 the week before and then went in the Bottom 3 the week after, either the shallower field caught up to them, or they’re just not doing a terrific job on their performances

Comment by Static – April 2, 2012 03:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not happy Skylar was in the bottom 3, but I think I can understand it. She went 2nd and she doesn’t have a built-in legion of fans like Colton, Jessica, or Phillip, so already that’s a handicap. Her performance was very good, but so were a lot of performances last night. She probably got lost in the shuffle. I wouldn’t worry too much about her for next week. We know she can bring it, and she’s past due for a pimp spot.

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – March 29, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Very good singers are going to be in the bottom 3 every week this year. Its a deep pool of talent and every elimination is going to be tough. Heejun did an exceptional job tonight, he brought Jennifer to tears…it was a save-worthy performance in any other year.

Comment by jw – March 29, 2012 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IM CRYING.

Comment by Ash Q – March 29, 2012 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I felt scared for Hollie. Thank goodness she got another chance.

Hopefully, this makes her wake up and move out of the Thia Megia Ghetto. Though with what happened to Pia, well…

Comment by Joseph Padilla (@jpad319) – March 29, 2012 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • On the plus side, by getting into the top 8 Hollie has officially lasted longer than Pia did, so maybe that comparison can stop dogging her.
      Then again, this group skipped a week due to Jermaine’s exit, so actually next week will be the chronological equivalent of the week Pia got eliminated. Dog on.

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – March 29, 2012 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And the point Jimmy drove that it will come down to Jessica vs Hollie, THAT’S gonna kill one of ‘em out of the game. Asinine!

Comment by Joseph Padilla (@jpad319) – March 30, 2012 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I too felt scared for Hollie and am relieved that she wasn’t Toscanoe’d.

Comment by Andy J – March 29, 2012 10:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Congratulations, America! But there’s no way the other two ladies should have been in the bottom three.

Comment by C – March 29, 2012 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who was your bottom 3?

Comment by Ash Q – March 29, 2012 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • @ Ash Q: My bottom three were HeeJun, Deandre and Joshua.

Comment by C – March 30, 2012 05:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I did guarantee you a guy would go home! I’m willing to guarantee that the next time a girl goes, she gets the save, too (except, maybe, skylar). I think the next person to go home will be deandre. Unfortunately, I’m beginning to see Hollie and Jessica’s popularity wain and I’m worried that you are right all along.

Comment by Ben – March 29, 2012 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jessica’s popularity wane? Really, now? She’s been hitting it out of the ball park. Not sure what you’re watching.

Comment by Joseph Padilla (@jpad319) – March 29, 2012 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’ve been watching polls, which tend to be a better indicator of popularity than how well the singers actually perform. I didn’t say Hollie and Jessica are singing worse. I did, however, misspell wane. I’m worried that Colton and Philip will be an (in my opinion) undeserved final two.

Comment by Ben – March 29, 2012 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Can’t argue with your last sentence.

Comment by Joseph Padilla (@jpad319) – March 29, 2012 07:32 PM PDT
          • I almost hesitate to ask this lest my idle hours be swallowed up by poll-gazing, but… can you link to these polls?

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – March 29, 2012 08:04 PM PDT
          • You’ve got the last couple of weeks on this site alone to look at, which ask ‘who was the best performance this week’. But if you also want to look at trends, a couple of sites to look at include votefair (I’m not sure if you can look back week on week at the raw popularities – however on week 13 Jessica and Hollie were clearly leading, Jessica by a large margin, at week 9 Hollie has dropped back to fourth and Jessica’s lead is much smaller) – the question asked by votefair is ‘order your favourite performers from first to last’ – no week on week performance connotations (although the ratings are still impacted by performances to some extent), also idolbloglive has an interesting poll which is reverse – instead of asking ‘who is your favourite’ it asks ‘who will go home’. This creates a very different poll each week but is quite good at indicating when people are moving closer or further away from being absolutely safe. So there is a handful for you to look at based on different questions.

Comment by Ben – March 29, 2012 09:45 PM PDT
          • I’m glad Hollie got another chance as well. But Heejun was long past due to go – so great elimination night.

Comment by Tarc – March 29, 2012 11:02 PM PDT
          • I’m hoping for that Colton, Phillip. Elise final three.

Comment by Tarc – March 29, 2012 11:03 PM PDT
          • I HOPE COLTON AND PHILLIP DON’T END UP IN THE FINALE ! TERRIBLE ! JESSICSA BETTER BE THERE !!!!!

Comment by bj – March 30, 2012 06:48 AM PDT
  • Yes the right one got sent home. Was not surprised to see Skylar in jeopardy. I was not moved by her performance at all. DeAndre Brackensick should be the next to go because he sucks, but Hollie Cavanagh needs to step up her game or it will be bye-bye.

Comment by JohnAK – March 29, 2012 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not a Minaj fan. Left the room to do some quick chores while she was on. Loved Scotty.

I would have sent DeAndre home before HeeJun, but then I am not a teenage girl. HeeJun has a wonderful voice, but he really needs some coaching on diction.

Comment by Just Me – March 29, 2012 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, I would have preferred those eliminations to be the other way around. (And frankly, I would have had Heejun outlast colton too and go out 7, but I think the dislike of colton is just me).

Comment by Ben – March 29, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really wanted this week to be Deandre’s week- and he didnt even make bottom 3. I wanted to spare one more week for Heejun (perhaps for all the wrong reasons, but still…)

Comment by Ash Q – March 29, 2012 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Deandre should have been in the bottom three. I thought DeAndre would go today. Heejun left with class. Once he was the one with the lowest number of votes, it was obvious he would not be saved. I am sure he knew that. He sang better today than yesterday. I, for one, will make sure I give Skylar some votes next week. I gave Elise most of my votes this week, I hope she stays for a long time. Actually, I think the ladies are superior to most of the guys. I am not a fan of Phillip. Not enough variety in his singing.

Comment by Ray – March 29, 2012 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ryan: So what did you think of DeAndre’s performance?

ERIC FREAKIN BENET:

“Amazing, amazing. I mean all of you guys did such an incredible job. Um specifically you man. I mean you have such a beautiful, unique voice and that song was tailor made for you man. So you did an incredible job”.

Damn. I’m glad I wasn’t the only person who had their ears turned on last night. Way to go DeAndre!

Wasn’t surprised by the bottom three. Like I said if an earlier rant Hollie and Skylar need to ‘stir it up’.

Bye Heejun – best of luck out there with your big & loving heart!

Comment by Chris – March 29, 2012 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You forgot to mention how frikkin caaaayute Deandre is!!! <3<3<3<3<3

WOOT! WOOT!

Comment by StereotypicalSuzie – March 29, 2012 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Cute or not, I don’t think he goes for your type, Stereotypical Suzie. It’s time to have that talk with your parents about certain boys. It’s called the Bieber talk….

Comment by NedPepper – March 29, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I could care less what DeAndre looks like. I care about his talent and the recognition from his idol.

Ps. Thought Jimmy’s comments were right on with Colton’s performance and Phillip’s about to get a supercharged turbo boost in votes next week.

Perhaps some of these idols do know how to play the game… Subtle but I am starting to pick up on some things.

Comment by Chris – March 29, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was his time to go. I think the surprise boot Ryan talked about on his show is that nobody thought he would go. Sorry Mike, I wasn’t surprise Skylar was in the bottom 3. her last couple of performances were not that hot, yes she has personality but not everyone cares for the twang in her voice. I actually think Deandrea should of been there. I hope this is a wake up call for Hollie. She needs to change it up, or she will be next. I am not
    A Scotty fan, but congrats on his achievements. OMG I had to mute the tv when Nicki came on. The music business wonders why it going do the tubes. it is a travesty
    That they call that music.

Comment by Mary – March 29, 2012 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hollie’s voting block will skew heavily to Skylar but likely not the other way around. Skylar’s best chance of making T4 is for a quick Hollie exit.

Comment by PunkSkittle (@GashleyT) – March 29, 2012 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy with the results but I cannot believe Skylar was in the bottom three—that is SO wrong! Nicki “so obviously auto-tuned” Minaj—why do they bring people like this on the show? I just didn’t like her performance at all. Now Scotty—-WOW, touring with Brad Paisley has sure molded him into a great performer—he’s no longer stiff on the stage and he was working that room! Congrats on going platnium, all those hater who said he wouldn’t go anywhere—:-PpPpPp!

Comment by Marsaili – March 29, 2012 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Marsaili I’m one of the fans that bought his CD and I’ve seen several of his performances and he has definately gotten better stage wise, he has always been great singing wise.

Comment by Lana – March 29, 2012 11:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Other than Erika getting the axe last week, so far everything has gone how I’ve wanted it to go…is it wrong of me to dream of an Elise-Jessica-Skylar top 3?

Comment by Danielle – March 29, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not wrong… It’s just so right that it will never happen.

Comment by Katie – March 29, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael, I miss your longer results show recaps. These are too short.

Comment by Andie – March 29, 2012 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • IKR? Slezak’s materials just haven’t been up to par this season.

Comment by Joseph Padilla (@jpad319) – March 29, 2012 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • His work load has been upped. I think he covers every single reality show on this site.

Comment by NedPepper – March 29, 2012 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was right. I really like Heejun, and his voice, but he just wasn’t as strong as most of the others.

Comment by Michelle R. (@MsMichelleR) – March 29, 2012 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why on earth did we have Nicki Minaj performing and not Stevie Nicks?

Comment by BRS – March 29, 2012 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We want to keep the stage drug-free.

DEANDRE! Woot! Woot!

<3<3<3<3

Comment by StereotypicalSuzie – March 29, 2012 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Then how do you explain the Toxic Twins on stage together last time?

Comment by Templar – March 29, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I plead the fifth!

AND BY THAT I MEAN THE FIFTH CONTESTANT TO SING YESTERDAY!! *_*

<3<3<3

Comment by StereotypicalSuzie – March 29, 2012 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • SNAP! I was thinking the same thing and you beat me there.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 29, 2012 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, come on now, Stevie Nicks is past 60 and most likely no longer a druggie; yes, everyone in Fleetwood Mac did indulge – back in the day, 30 years ago! Must she still be stigmatized for bad habits (that were quite the norm then) from decades ago? And for that matter, what about Steven Tyler – not exactly a poster child for sobriety, is he – if Idol wanted to stay “drug free,” would they have hired him? A meanspirited low blow against Ms. Nicks, who proved herself an excellent mentor. No, I suspect that more likely reasons she was not invited to sing had to do with 1) evidently she has no product to promote right now; and 2) during the season, Idol features current performers, leaving the heritage acts for duets on the finale.

Comment by marie – March 30, 2012 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Jeezy Creezy, marie. You’ve got to lighten up. Stereo’s remark was a lighthearted jab as was my response. It was for fun and without malice. Don’t take things so much to heart.

Comment by Templar – March 30, 2012 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Guess it just touched a nerve. I just really admire Stevie (and quite a few others from that era) for coming back from drug use and surviving to get to BE older in the first place, so I guess I just reacted strongly.

Comment by marie – March 30, 2012 01:27 PM PDT
  • My bottom 3 were Heejun, Deandre and Joshua. I loved Hollie’s and Skylar’s performances.

Comment by Musica1 – March 29, 2012 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hollie is pretty. Skylar is too country.
      Heejun is cute.
      DEANDRE IS FRIKKIN’ CAYYYYUTE!
      And Joshua has a nice booty! ;P

I’m glad DEANDRE STAYEED!! WOOT! WOOT!

<3<3<3<3

Comment by StereotypicalSuzie – March 29, 2012 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Those were my bottom three as well, Musica1. Glad I was predicting the bottom three on American Idol and not oil futures! I need a better set of tea leaves!

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 29, 2012 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My bottom three too, although I would’ve wanted to Deandre to go this week. But no tears because now I can have HeeJun all to myself! Plenty of time to make craps-talking babies before the tour! Now all that’s missing is Phillip and my threesome fantasy will come to life!

Comment by darcy the slutty twin – March 29, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Uh, Phillip is going to win this thing and when he does he’s not going to have the time or interest for you, sister. But keep on thinking what you’re thinking – that’s why they call them, “fantasies”. ;-)

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 30, 2012 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So so pleased about Heejun’s exit. I actually clapped when he got the boot. I was so worried that the judges were going to save him. I was so happy when I saw Jay Lo crying thus signifying that he was going home. He was so out of his league, it wasn’t even funny. Hooray for America voting for the right people and allowing the right person to go home!

Comment by Mark – March 29, 2012 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What in the name of Hilfiger was Jennifer wearing? I normally love her clothes but that was rather unattractive.
    It was very cool when Eric Benet walked out on stage. You could tell Deandre was genuinely overcome with joy. That was nice.

Scotty sounded great. He’s not my favorite but my friends that saw him in concert with Brad Paisley loved him.

Two of my predictions for the bottom three were wrong, LOL. This could put my job with Psychic Hotline in danger.
    Did the right person go home? does a bear do you-know-what in the woods?

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 29, 2012 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As long as MY L<3VE DEANDRE is still here! <3<3<3<3<3 He is TOO FRIKKIN CAAAAYUTE!

Comment by StereotypicalSuzie – March 29, 2012 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But Heejun is cute too! And he has a cute accent! Lovelovelove!!! Phillip is incredibly HOTTT!!! OMG I sound CRAY-CRAY!!! But they are just so CA-UUUTTTEEE!

Comment by darcy the slutty twin – March 29, 2012 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh-Ehm-GEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! I KNOW RIGHT!!!!??!?!?!?!

I’ve found my long-lost BESTIE!!!

Comment by StereotypicalSuzie – March 29, 2012 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • LOL. You two are perfect for one another!

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 29, 2012 09:32 PM PDT
  • As far as the final result, America definitely got it right (a week too late maybe, but I digress). Hollie, I think, belonged in the bottom 3; but I was shocked to see Skylar there.

Comment by Katie – March 29, 2012 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also, as someone who wasn’t a Scotty fan at all last season, I really enjoyed his performance. Congrats to him on going platinum!

Comment by Katie – March 29, 2012 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I wasn’t a huge Scotty fan last season either but I have to give him his props. He sounded good and his stage presence has improved by miles. I thought his song was pretty generic though. As nice a performance as he gave, my taste in country would lean much more to Eric Church.

Comment by TheBeach – March 29, 2012 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Skylar’s “Where Do Broken Hearts Go” is still my favorite performance of anyone this season, but I’m not at all surprised to see her in the bottom 3 this week.

Yes, she had the energy, but at the same time the storytelling and believability just were not there this week. Too much of a joyful bouncy girl of 17 in that performance to fit those lyrics.

Comment by kcostell – March 29, 2012 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I might be the only one who has noticed this in the entire “Idolverse,” but Skyler is pretty much just doing karaoke. She even emulates the nuances of the artists whose songs she is covering. Week one when she covered “Stay with Me,” By Faces is an exclusion, and that was awesome…since then though, I just think she has been pretty average. I predicted last night that she would be in the bottom 3. But, that’s just my 2 cents.

Comment by Ruthi – March 29, 2012 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not sure, but I don’t think Whitney Houston ever contemplated Where Do Broken Hearts Go being sung like Skyler sung it.
      But otherwise I kind of feel you. She’s been consistently entertaining and I still like her very much, but she hasn’t thrilled me to bits for a few weeks. She seems to have the talent to turn that around, though.

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – March 29, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah the right person went home. And yeah, I didn’t get how Skylar was in the bottom three. Thought she was excellent last night. Deandre should have been there instead. Hopefully Skylar and Hollie pick up their games now.

Comment by sparky – March 29, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I probably agree with about 85% of what Jimmy Iovine says but, man, he can be harsh.

Comment by TheBeach – March 29, 2012 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Harsh, yes. But some of this season’s contsetants need a wake-up call; and anything that lights a fire under some of these kids is a plus in my book.

Comment by Katie – March 29, 2012 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My apologies, *contestants*…I should really do something about this drinking problem (maybe quit Idol)!

Comment by Katie – March 29, 2012 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s a puppy dog compared to how Simon was. You know what’s harsh – the music biz. If they can’t handle this, they’re in the wrong business.

Comment by Sandi – March 30, 2012 05:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yessssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Comment by paisley – March 29, 2012 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHY IS IDOLOGY POST ALWAYS A WEEK BEHIND? DONT YOU TAPE IT AFTER THE PERFORMANCE SHOW…ITS NOT FUN TO WATCH THE IDOLOGY ABOUT LAST WEEKS PERFORMANCE, AND DONT REALLY WANT TO HEAR YOUR REVIEWS AND CRITIQUES AFTER T HE ELIMINATION!

Comment by Matt – March 29, 2012 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The episode is about the whole week, not just performance night, and it takes some time for the editing. I like having it to look for starting Sunday eve.

Comment by donie – March 29, 2012 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel a little bad for Phillip because his buddy got the boot… Oh well, they still get to tour together. Now I don’t have to turn down the volume on anybody except DeAndre next week! I am PUMPED :)

Comment by Resa – March 29, 2012 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy to see Scotty McCreery back. Gosh, he was so good tonight. You can see his growth as a performer. Congrats to him for all his success. He truly deserves it!

Comment by J – March 29, 2012 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh puhleaze! He was ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment by Rolls Eyes – March 29, 2012 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am constantly amazed that DeAndre is safe. Come on people, he fractures my eardrums.

Skylar would do so much better if she would take wardrobe advice, she does herself no favors. Unfortunately how you look factors in as well as talent. She needs to improve her image if sje wants more votes. She also fits into the category of “same” song every week. I have heard her shriek and move around the stage at a fever pace. I think the voters seem to agree.

Comment by Sandy – March 29, 2012 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think these wardrobe and make-up people are doing her any favors…was that a patented Hilfiger table cloth she wore under that leather jacket this week? And what was that knitted bodytube thingee in the Madonna set? When I saw the clothes they had to choose from I felt nauseated by all those tacky graphics and oversized labels…can’t they change designers every week like the mentors and get rid of Mr. Monogram? I do agree she isn’t a very diverse singer and would like to hear something more restrained, less manic… just some evocative country soul ballad.

Comment by seattlejohn449 – March 30, 2012 12:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • VERY surprised about Skylar, but I’m glad she’s safe. I’m sad to see Heejun go, but I get it. *wipes away tear.* Am I the only one that was just annoyed at Scotty McCreery and all the praise he got tonight? Wow, I’m so evil to even type that sentence because he IS talented, but as I nearly fell asleep on my couch watching him perform, I just got mad all over again that he won last year.

Comment by Brigette – March 29, 2012 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, you’re not. Slezak mentioned how Nicki Minaj is proof that you don’t have to be that talented to make it the music business. Same applies for McCreery. That song was AWFUL and he still can’t perform.

Comment by NedPepper – March 29, 2012 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved HeeJun and always looked forward to seeing him each week! I am pissed at Steven Tyler for his criticism of this guy! How seriously did he take the music business back in the day? It’s the MUSIC business- not brain surgery! I hope HeeJun has great success- maybe even his own sitcom!

Comment by Pasmle – March 29, 2012 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Heejun or Deandre. It was the right call. But Skylar being in the bottom 3? I know this will be upsetting to many females (and possibly gays)….but I think Colton is really overrated. Don’t get it. And he’s officially the producer’s pick. I hate that. He went from the eccentric sensitive guy…to now actually annoying. I don’t get him at all. There’s something ridiculously pretentious about him.

Comment by NedPepper – March 29, 2012 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was going to be a tossup between DeAndre and Heejun to go home this week. In my opinion–as far as tone and raw talent–I thought Heejun was superior to most of the male singers–he just didn’t know how to sell his songs like, say, Josh or Phil2. I think he got a bum rap on the whole personality thing; his co-contestants seem to like him enough to cry over his elimination and I’d guess they know him more than the people making disparaging comments about him. That includes Jimmy I. who seemed to have it in for Heejun from the start.
    What I hope is that this brings him to the attention of a good vocal coach or mentor who will help him develop the talent he so obviously has. The reality is, though, that he’ll probably go through the tour and enjoy it, but won’t sing publicly again-at least in the U.S.

Comment by Ana Muti – March 29, 2012 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now the next people that I can’t wait to go home are Colton and Skylar. Colton is the weakest. He sounds generic and always straining his voice. Skylar likes to wiggle her hips but her voice is shrill and nasal. Same thing every week. I think Hollie is clueless. She is totally a robot.

Comment by kraken – March 29, 2012 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Skyler but she has done nothing to surprise me from week to week. She will be a good country singer but I really don’t find her unique. But she is certainly good and much more appealing than Kellie Pickler and even likable but snooze worthy Scotty.

Does anyone have a sense what kind of music Hollie would sing? She has the pipes but needs experience.

Comment by Davey – March 29, 2012 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ah, I see next week is ’80s Week so we’re back to “Themes”, huh? (insert eye roll here).

Comment by TheBeach – March 29, 2012 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 80s week? And Erica missed it!

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – March 29, 2012 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wonder how it will go, only one of the remaining 8 was even alive during the 80s – Elise.

Comment by Shana – March 29, 2012 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m looking forward to 80s week! Should be fun. Surely they can get more than 12 songs approved from the entire decade!

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 29, 2012 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Let’s see…there will be 11 by Journey and you get one from the miscellaneous column LOL

Comment by TheBeach – March 29, 2012 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOL. But has Steve Perry granted releases for any of his songs on Idol? I can’t recall any Journey songs on Idol but hey, I’ve slept a time or two since the program started.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 29, 2012 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I don’t remember either but it seems they sing a Journey song every other episode on Glee and that’s on the same network.

Comment by TheBeach – March 29, 2012 10:38 PM PDT
          • yes, Perry has released his music for “Glee”. Maybe now he’ll do it for Idol.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 29, 2012 10:42 PM PDT
          • James Durbin sang Don’t Stop Believin’ during top 4 last year.

Comment by LM – March 30, 2012 07:27 AM PDT
          • Yeah, then Randy can say how he was “in” Journey again. See Randy, I used air quotes correctly.

Comment by Joe Strummer – March 30, 2012 09:29 AM PDT
          • Journey has been covered several times. Clay Aiken, among others.

Comment by Leigha – March 30, 2012 02:24 PM PDT
      • I’d love it if they OKd some early Bon Jovi. Too bad it isn’t 70s, I’d love to see P2 do James Brown’s Get Up Offa That Thing. LOL

Comment by Templar – March 29, 2012 11:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m thinking I’d like to see Joshua do Get Up Offa That Thing! Did anyone cover that song in the 80s? It seems as though there’s rarely been anything new under the sun.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 30, 2012 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I’m not sure. It was on the soundtrack for Sister Act 2, but that was the 90s. And it was used in What a Girl Wants, but that’s even more recent.

Comment by Templar – March 30, 2012 10:49 AM PDT
  • Elise stole the show, no doubt about it. But Skylar being in the bottom three? Not right! Should have been Deandre. He sounds like finger nails scraping a chalk board. Sad to see Heejan go, but this season has amazing talent and it was right to let him go. And as for Scotty’s performance, I’m still upset he won last year. Should have been Haley.

Comment by Chrissy – March 29, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • skylar should have gone home — yes, i’m freaking not kidding — she sings the same country song every week — Listen, she’s gonna get a record contract no matter what. She’s just singing the same song week after week. But I do hope deandre goes home soon — I think more than heejun — i want deandre out of there. Jimmy is right — his falsetto is just not what i call singing — and you are other one side or the other.

Comment by kelly – March 29, 2012 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the truth of the matter is, the same people who are voting for elise are not voting for hollie and skylar and jessica….

Comment by sam – March 29, 2012 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, I voted for Elise, Skylar, and Jessica this week. And threw a few votes for Phillip just because I actually think the dude is talented. I’m determined to see two females in the final 3. We did it last year with Haley. (Had to make up for the fact that Peaches and George W Jr. were being forced down our throats) Gonna do it again. My mission now is to derail the overrated Colton.

Comment by NedPepper – March 29, 2012 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I fast-forwarded at double speed through the Nicki Minaj “performance” and I still saw too much cleavage!

Comment by Holly – March 29, 2012 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I put it on slow motion. It kinda felt like the ocean.

Comment by TheBeach – March 29, 2012 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What the heck was that? Wanda Sykes meets Ru Paul? That is one scary person.

Comment by Templar – March 29, 2012 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post