The Vampire Diaries Revives Aunt Jenna - But There's a Twist!

Aunt Jenna will celebrate her one-year deathiversary with a surprise return to The Vampire Diaries, when, in the Season 3 finale (airing May 10), Sara Canning reprises the fan fave role.

But how will they bring Mystic Falls’ dearly departed denizen back to life?

As first reported by our friends at Zap2it, Jenna won’t be revived via the CW saga’s signature witchery or otherworldly means, but rather through a series of flashbacks that examine Elena’s life before her parents’ untimely death.

Since her Vampire Diaries departure last year, Canning has enjoyed a sexy turn on Supernatural and starred in the Lifetime original movie The Hunt for the I-5 Killer.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Amy says:

I’m so glad she’s back….even if it is just a flashback! I’ve missed her and Ric’s relationship (much better than him and Dr. Fell).

• meleliot says:

I too enjoyed Jenna and Ric’s romance, but unfortunately she won’t be interacting with Ric because he didn’t show up in Mystic Falls until after Elena’s parent’s death.

• Drewer says:

I think Elana’s probubly having multiple flash backs to diferent points in her life. So there is a chance she might enteract with Ric.

2. Michelle says:

What a let down, I was hoping for a more permanent return.

3. Dear Diary,

Aunt Jenna is back and she brought memories of my life before vampires, maybe she will bring back one of my four dead parents for the slideshow.

4. Julie says:

After Aunt Jenna got the shaft in the whole ghost invasion storyline, it’ll be nice to see her again. Although it reminds me that I should probably rethink my life choices for following her ghost on Twitter.

5. Josh says:

Nice that they do remember, what with them trying to make us buy Caroline/Klaus…I mean why she’d be with someone who killed her best friend’s aunt…who knows? This is Vampire Diaries, where we’re supposed to believe a girl might be able to love a guy who tried to kill her little brother, abused her best friend, tried to kill her other best friend, etc.

• Paige says:

And you mentioned Klaus/Caroline, even when they weren’t mentioned anywhere in this article, why? Looks like someone is a little too preoccupied with things they hate.

• Josh says:

Well given that Jenna isn’t on the show anymore because Klaus killed her…Klaus tends to come to mind and given that Caroline is my favorite Vampire Diaries character, she always comes to mind when I read anything on TVD. So yeah 1+1 = 2…

Unless that’s too complicated for you.

• Ari says:

I can totally buy Klaus/Caroline. I buy Klaus/Caroline much more easily than I buy Elena/Damon. I can’t wait to see Aunt Jenna, I’m kind of sad the season finale is going to be flashbacks about Elena.

• Anne says:

Even though I’m not a fan of the Klaus/Caroline or Elena/Damon pairings, I agree with you about Klaus/Caroline, in terms of onscreen chemistry. Nina and Ian’s chemistry feel like it’s steadily declining since they were rumored to be dating, which is unfortunate.

• Susan says:

I’m not really a Delena fan not because I think they lack chemistry but because Damon deserves better. Stefan tried to kill her and she still cries about how much she loves boring Stefan. It doesn’t matter how many times Damon saves her butt, she still doesn’t appreciate it.

• Josh says:

Are you serious? Damon deserves better? I’m disturbed…Damon is incredibly abusive towards Elena…But HE deserves better. And I can’t rememeber Stefan trying to kill her. Once he was compelled to but fought against it with every fiber of his being and the other time he was just scaring the crap out of her.

And I don’t want her with Stefan either, though so I’m not in some shipper war. I think Stefan is bad for her too(he murdered innocent people because of his “love for her”.

But let’s be real Damon doesn’t deserve Elena. He’s abusive, controlling and a rapist(yes what he did to Andie was technically rape).

• Mary Q Contrary says:

I think using the term ‘rumored to be dating’ is a bit silly at this point. As I understand it, the two of them have been together a long time now, make no secret of that fact, and I think they have great chemistry onscreen. They just don’t get the opportunity to use it as often it seems. I know if I were a showrunner trying to make a love triangle believable, I would definitely advise any real-life couples to tone down the chemistry. Just sayin.

• bob says:

stefan tryed to kill elena didn’t care if her brother lived or died and he probably would have done more if he was interesting.

• Aurelia says:

Wow, I completely agree with you. The Klaus/Caroline storyline came completely out of the blue and doesn’t add up at all. I’m really confused as to why so many people ship them. But that’s probably just because they love Klaus (which I actually don’t). So, I’m looking forward to the moment were he’ll finally be defeated.

6. J says:

A crazy turn on Supernatural is more like it. Still, she was great.

7. Kat says:

oh sh|t i forgot about her to be honest…

8. June says:

I don’t know very much about aunt Jennie, but you guys never did send me those sexy photos that I was asking about maybe you don’t remember what I am talking about you sent me some sexy photos on a magazine cover a few months ago they were pictures of Elana, and Damen.

• Anne says:

Perhaps you can catch previous seasons’ episodes on DVD? Seasons 1 and 2 are available. As for those pictures of Elena and Damon, a Google search should be able to get you what you’re looking for.

9. David says:

Jenna! We miss you!

10. bob says:

Wait when she’s on the show people cant wait to get rid of her but when shes off the show people want her to comeback?

• Susan says:

Oh good, I’m not the only one confused. When I saw Jenna being described as a “fan fave role” I was wondering if TVline had confused her with someone else. She had fans sure, everybody does, but she was not a fan fave. Hated by fans is a more accurate description.

11. Aww, I was hoping Aunt Jenna was returning permanently!! But never the less, I’m happy we’ll be seeing her! I miss her! And I can’t wait for that episode in which they show the life of Elena and Jenna before Elena’s parents died. It’ll be really interesting to watch!

12. It’s kind of sad, but I tend to forget Aunt Jenna was even on the show until I think about it. She hasn’t been mentioned much this season at all. It’ll be nice to see her again, even if it’s just a flashback. Unfortunately for her character, though, she never did much, and as soon as she found out about the vampire stuff, she died. I think it would have been better to keep her around. (I feel like Vampire Diaries killed off like half of the supporting cast at the end of last season!)

13. Kelly says:

Thanks so much for the spoiler in the title. Couldn’t you say “The Vampire Diaries brings back [spoiler] but there’s a twist” instead? Of course not. That would have been too polite.

14. MaryAnn says:

Now if they would just find a way to bring her back on a more permanent basis… She needs to be in Rick’s life.

15. Vannesa says:

It’s great to have Aunt Jenna back…maybe bring her back as a doppelganger? Or maybe something to do with Elena’s destiny? :D

16. Man, I really liked Sara Canning. I would have loved to see her as a vampire. Glad they’re bringing her back at all though.

17. max says:

*Klaus is standing around useless as always when suddenly Jennas’ ghost arrives

“You killed me” Jennas’ ghost shouts out.

*Sam and Dean arrive ready to stop Jennas’ Ghost when all of a sudden Dean put down his weapon

Dean looks at Sam and says calm, “Let her kill him, that british douche deserves it”.

– The End

18. I love Sara Canning! I thought she was cut from the show far too soon, so I’m excited to see her back in any capacity on the show! Hoping they continue to bring her back every once & awhile.