Exclusive

Exclusive: Rizzoli & Isles Nabs Eddie Cibrian as a Crush Interest For [Spoiler]

Eddie Cibrian Rizzoli & IslesEddie Cibrian is heading back to the present day with a multi-episode arc on Rizzoli & Isles, TVLine has learned exclusively.

In Season 3 of the hit TNT drama, the Playboy Club alum will play Dennis Rockmond, a handsome motivational speaker who meets medical examiner Isles (Sasha Alexander) in an unusual way, and then proceeds to coax her out of her blazer-clad shell.

Rizzoli & Isles‘ third season premieres on June 5 (TNT, 9/8c).

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, News, Scoop

1. Wamplerg says:

No thanks, he’s been everywhere and like Teflon…he doesn’t work. So leave the girls alone unless you want to hook him up with one of the male detective…seriously.

2. Lin says:

He is a bad choice. Eddie Cibrian is one of the worst actors I’ve seen on TV.

3. Betty says:

I wonder if his going to play the priest in the book. He would be great in that role.

4. an_objectiveperson says:

There won’t be any priest on the show. Books =/= tv showsì

Almost everything on the show is different from the book. Angie Harmon doesn’t resemble Jane Rizzoli of the book not even in anybody’s worst nightmare. Or does she look like a piece of truck shorter than a dwarf?

Almost every interaction is different than the books’ one. People don’t compare books Bones with tv Bones. Never. Booth doesn’t even exist in the books.Yet some people don’t seem to have a problem with that while they have it here.
    Scared of something?

5. Elaine says:

Eddie Cibrian has less acting chops than a chopstick. He is a despicable person in “real life” that I will not overlook or patronize. R&I has lost my viewership with this decision. Cibrian is a show killer, must be final season for Rizzoli & Isle > good riddance then!

6. confuzzled says:

And the parade of insignificant characters continues. I echo a lot of the comments here. The strength of the show lies in Jane/Maura and their relationship. Not some love interest of the week (a horrible actor at that) who will vanish after an episode and will only take away precious screen interaction between the two. Why not let their characters develop naturally? And for the love of the mad chemistry between the leads, refrain from sacrificing the characterization for some soap opera plot. Season 1 was a delight until the train wreck that was Season 2 happened. Utilize the amazing supporting cast and give them something meatier to do.

7. Suzie says:

With this guy coming to the show, the rizzles dream seems impossible to happen. It sucks!

8. Alicia says:

Personally, I think they should just keep the show on their work, friendship, and NOT a dating game for Jane and Maura. I like that their doing it different…so far from the books. I hope they keep it up! I also think Korsak and Angela would be cute together, but maybe a little uncomfortable for Jane.

9. LindaK says:

If the show is going to RUIN the Jane/Maura focus and fun, at least have the insight to cast and actor with the chops, credibility and intelligence to match that of Sasha and her character. This douche is flat, dumb, self-indulgent and a waste of tv time. BAD CHOICE!

10. Dissapointed says:

Yuck horrible casting. Eddie Cibrian is a man whore, a cheater & has no morals. Playboy Club was cancelled for a reason. I definitely wont be watching his episodes on R&I.

11. Sara H. says:

Rizzoli & Isles just lost me as a viewer. Such absolute crap. Does Janet Tamaro, the showrunner, even read or listen to viewer feedback? Does she honestly believe this crap she writes is good? What a joke. A motivational speaker coaxes Maura out of her blazer-clad shell? So, basically, there’s something wrong with Maura’s personality is what Janet Tamaro’s trying to tell us. So Maura needs a man to help her see the light and learn to love herself? I just…
    Am… Am I reading spoilers to One Life To Live? All My Children? Am I on the wrong show? If I wanted to watch a soap opera, I would. This show was supposed to be about two female friends who worked in male dominated fields and were strong and independent. We saw that in season 1. In season 1, they dated but the men they dated were insignificant and didn’t have entire story arcs. What happened in season 2? Maura’s running around trying to hump anything that moves. Jane jealous and possessive around every guy Maura dates. Jane also doesn’t have sex for the entire series and when she finally does it’s with some douche bag she’s only met twice before. Meanwhile, she just had “butterflies” in her stomach for her army ‘boyfriend’ 2 episodes prior. What the hell is going on? If this is how strong, independent women in their 30s act, then what the hell am i? An alien?

Attention, Rizzoli & Isles showrunner and writers. Enough with the random men. Enough. Can you deepen the relationship and friendship between Jane and Maura? You know, the TITLE CHARACTERS of the entire damn show? Can you do that first? Develop your damn characters. Give them depth. One episode of a 30 minute comedy like Parks and Recreation or 30 Rock has more character development than an entire season of R&I. I expect this show to bomb in the 3rd season and that’s it. It will be gone, forgotten. Won’t even make a difference in anyone’s lives. Maybe then everyone involved can all contribute and write a book titled “How To Ruin A Perfectly FIne Show And Turn It Into Crap.”

• an_objectiveperson says:

Well, they hired some of All of My Children writers.

Yes, you are an alien according to this show. But a smart one in my opinion.
      S2 had lower ratings than S1 and they never recovered. Actually they kept losing viewers. Someone should inform Janet Tamaro about that.

She obviously believes this crap is good and riveting storytelling. You know, TNT knows drama. No TNT, you don’t.

I guess I will watch other shows, no biggie. My only beef is that I like SA, so I would watch it just to see her, like I did for S2, but enough is enough. I just can’t watch her character trashed again after the brain transplant of S2.

12. Nikki says:

Glad it’s Dr Isles and not Rizzoli. I keep hoping they’ll bring back Billy Burke as Agent Dean. Their relationship in the book is so great, I want to see it play out on screen!

• an_objectiveperson says:

Did you even watch the show? Dean was dressed like a hobo because he was the bad guy of the episode. Maybe Jane caught some STD’s from him. He’s gone. And the books are different from the tv show. Did people even read the books?

• Nikki says:

Actually I’m in Australia, and we only got the final episode for Season 2 last night of when he returned. So no, I hadn’t seen that episode when I wrote that comment, can you pull the stick out of your butt now? However even after watching it, it hasn’t changed my opinion at all. Obviously the ending was pretty dramatic, but I’m not sure I’d agree he was the bad guy of the episode, and I don’t believe he’ll be out of the show now. In fact, I’m pretty certain he’s listed as being back for season 3. I think it will be really interesting to see how everything will play out after that ending. Not just Dean’s actions but the effect on Maura and Jane’s friendship.

Also the books are actually quite popular, why would you assume people hadn’t read them? Whilst there are a lot of differences between the books and show, some things have followed the original storylines (such as Jane’s parents splitting up) so it’s not exactly mind-shattering to believe the writers might continue to evolve Rizzoli’s relationship with Dean in the show.

13. ScaryDoll says:

We KNOW R&I are straight women, they’ve repeatedly denied that there’s anything more to their relationship than friendship. Harmon herself said “they’re not gay, if people stop watching them I’m sorry!!” Or words to that effect. The thing is, writers will throw out all of the things that they know viewers, (in particular gay viewers) want, in order to have them keep watching and have their figures stay up, however they also have to appease the other viewers who only see platonic friendship between Jane and Maura. We had alot of that last season. I think Dean was a big, dull, dud. His relationship with Jane was a non-entity. After he appeared at Doyle’s shooting and got shot himself, I’m fairly sure things between him and Jane are over, if he’s not already dead.
    I love this show but I don’t think it’s one to be taken seriously. To me, it’s a lighthearted drama show, let’s face it. How many of us are actually watching for the crimes?! I watch for the moments between Jane and Maura and their families. Their personal lives. I don’t give a hoot about the murders. I think Cibrian will be yet another shortlived, soon-to-be-forgotten male to appease the “straight” viewers.

• an_objectiveperson says:

You know what? Angie Harmon should just shut up. They know they played with that, but they are afraid to admit it to the whole audience. Many, many things in S1 were done to appeal to a certain segment of the audience or to titillate certain thoughts in the viewers. It was in the script, it was in the directing, it was in the actresses’ acting choices.

They have been disingenuous from the beginning and they don’t like to be called on that. Angie Harmon even acted all offended because someone dare to say that in her opinion she couldn’t play gay. Dear Angie Harmon, get the memo: it’s true. And everybody has the right to express his opinion. At least that person was honest, unlike this show.

There is a big difference between a lighthearted drama show and a bad show. R&I is the latter. I watch many lighthearted shows, but they are good lighthearted shows. They at least give what you expect them to give you.

Jane and Maura are a joke of a character. Baywatch had characters with more depth than them. And that’s sad.

I couldn’t care less about the personal lives of such dim characters.

• ScaryDoll says:

Do you watch the show? If you do, then it seems like you don’t particularly enjoy it or like the characters so why watch? I’m a straight viewer and also see myself as an objective one. Like I said, this show isn’t meant to be taken seriously. The crux of the show is the relationship between Jane and Maura.
        When there is a show with 2 women as leads, there will always be hope amongst some of the gay community that a romantic relationship will develop, that’s why they keep watching. It’s happened SO many times on TV. The producers latch onto this and keep giving little seeds of hope to the viewers that something will happen, who will keep tuning in to see if it will develop then they’ll throw in a curveball like Eddie Cibrian and their excuse is, “we’ve never said these characters are gay!” then the audience is up in arms because of all the little teases and subtext.
        I watch this show because of the relationship, even though I know it will never be anything other than friendship. I enjoy the dynamic and chemistry between the actresses. I agree the characters aren’t deep or developed, it’s as if they’ll skim over a subject in one ep then it’s completely forgotten about by the next one. It all feels a bit rushed. Maybe if the producers considered making each season a more serial like one, where each ep flows into the next, there would be more room for character development. But, again this is a lighthearted dramedy show where the priority is on keeping the viewers, regardless of what ploys they use to get them.

• an_objectiveperson says:

You are admitting you are watching a crappy show which just panders to keep the viewers watching and that despite knowing that all they do is pandering you secretly hope they will go to the next level. So pandering is fun. Ok, you are still watching a crappy show. And it has nothing to do with taking it seriously or not. Crappy is crappy.

Dear TNT, please give SA a better role on better show and put this one out of its misery.

• ScaryDoll says:

You might think it’s crappy, and in some aspects it is, but guess what? I ENJOY it! Like I keep repeating, it’s a lighthearted show that isn’t to be taken seriously. It’s mindless entertainment. Big deal! I’m NOT expecting or secretly hoping that they’ll get together, because I know it’s not going to happen but I just enjoy watching them together. Pandering or not! There are MANY crappy shows on TV that millions of people tune in to watch, just for some relief from the REAL crappiness that is real life. If you think it’s so crappy don’t watch it?

14. @drielly_dk says:

I’m very happy that Rizzoli and Isles will return in June. and I liked the news, maybe a new love for maura? I wanted casey back to Jane, I think he’s better than Agent Dean. BRAZIL LOVE RIZZOLI AND ISLES!!!!! \O/\O/\O/\O/\O/\O/

15. an_objectiveperson says:

I used to watch it just for SA and because S1 Maura was a good character. I still watched S2 despite ruining Maura just for SA. Now I hope the show will get canceled because I still want to see SA and I don’t settle for crap, like this show is, so she can be in a better show. Don’t like Jane, never liked Angie Harmon. I don’t even care about her storylines. I skipped most of her scenes in S2.

There are shows that are crappy, but this one takes the cake. It’s so bad it’s not even funny. You still enjoy a crappy show and you are proud of it.

Mindless entertainment doesn’t mean crap. This show insults the average intelligence of the viewer. Children Hospital is mindless entertainment and I love it. 30 Rick is mindless entertainment and I love it. This is crap.

16. amy says:

wow Leann Rimes nasty ways really has done this Eddie Cibrian in. Noone likes people who treat a mother horribly. I will never watch this show again!

17. amy says:

He is a horrible human being. His new wife has ruined his image. They treat his ex horribly!

18. Christina says:

So I just wrote a huge message and it didn’t work. Silly thing.

I wrote that the front runners for this show are using it’s gay viewers, and it tires me that the gay viewers let it happen. Viewers see a nice touch or long gazes between the characters and then get hope that things could happen between them. But the reality is, it wont. They’ve stated it and made it clear. So why do the gay viewers continue to allow this show to manipulate you, so they can get a paycheck? Do you really feel like it’s fair, and they deserve your viewership for using you/us? I’ve had it after season 2. I have no interest in being used. Janet is as bad a writer as Ilene Chaiken. Just rubbish.

That is of course my opinion as we are all entitled to it. I just wish that the people (and there are even straight people who wish for them to be a couple on the show) who watch in hopes of them letting it happen, would get a reality check.

19. Michelle says:

Hopefully he will get killed off. This guy is a scu
    mbag. I stopped watching CSI Miami when he was on it. I didn’t watch playboy bc he was on it and now he’s ruining one of my favorite shows. I think ER should start a petition for it NOT to happen.

20. Emily says:

Wow, people seem to forget about another famous couple that cheated..Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie ring a bell?? Who cares what they did in their personal lives? They will be judged one day til then let them live their lives in peace!

21. Annette Hellingrath says:

Rizzoli and Isles is a terrible show, it really doesn’t matter who joins the cast, this show is on its way out. Good riddance.

22. presentation says:

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good.
    I don’t know who you are but certainly you’re going
    to a famous blogger if you aren’t already ;) Cheers!

23. jim says:

I personally hope Jane and Frost hook up. And Isles with Frankie.