Exclusive

Exclusive: Rizzoli & Isles Nabs Eddie Cibrian as a Crush Interest For [Spoiler]

Eddie Cibrian Rizzoli & IslesEddie Cibrian is heading back to the present day with a multi-episode arc on Rizzoli & Isles, TVLine has learned exclusively.

In Season 3 of the hit TNT drama, the Playboy Club alum will play Dennis Rockmond, a handsome motivational speaker who meets medical examiner Isles (Sasha Alexander) in an unusual way, and then proceeds to coax her out of her blazer-clad shell.

Rizzoli & Isles‘ third season premieres on June 5 (TNT, 9/8c).

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, News, Scoop

1. Jake says:

Nooo why are they bringing in this douche, couldn’t they have found someone else? Lame.

• Christine says:

My thoughts exactly! This guy it the worst. This show could definitely find someone better than him.

• Lorie says:

You read my mind. I can’t stand this guy.

• Grace says:

I have to agree that I don’t like this guy for either of them… but, I will continue to watch the show because these two ladies are the bomb!!! I would, however, would love to see some subtext to the storyline… lol

• Latanya says:

I’d rather see Isles paired with Frost…I think they’d make nice couple. Not Eddie Cibrian – did not like him on 3rd watch.

• KATHY NAIL says:

FROST ENDS UP WITH RIZOLLI’S MOM. IT’S IN THE BOOKS.

• rachel says:

thats not frost moron, its korsak. before you comment know what you are talking about.

• Rachel I think you’ll find you’re the moron. She commented under Latanya’s comment about rather seeing her with Frost. So Kathy in turn says that Frost will end up with Rizzolli’s mom. She’s not talking about the douche in the picture above, but rather Latanya’s comment. So before making stupid comments like this…. know what you’re talking about… because now you look like a rather HUGH idiot… LOL LOL LOL LOL

• Ashley says:

Cameron, dude. Read twice, then comment. While Rachel’s comment was rude (as was yours), it was not incorrect. You, on the other hand, come off as quite moronic in your comment. Not only do you ruin the whole high-and-mighty thing with the over abundance of LOLs and the misspelling of ‘huge’, but in the novels, it is NOT Frost who ends up with Rizzoli’s mom. It’s Korsak. Rachel was right. You are not.

• Jamie says:

Cameron, I think you’ll find that you are the moron. Kathy said that Frost ends up with Rizolli’s mom in the books which is completely wrong. Rachel is right. It was Korsak that ends up with Rizolli’s mom in the books. At this point no one was talking about the douche in the picture above. keep up or dont comment. you just made yourself look incredibly stupid… or should i say a “HUGH” idiot… Get your head out of your ass and check your spelling before you post comments.

• Josh says:

There’s no need to call anyone moron. You could have corrected the misinformation in a more productive way.

• NUREMBERG says:

ARE U INSANEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE????…….LOL……WHERE IS THAT???? TELL ME WHERE WHERE O MY GOD FROST IS ONLY 26 OR 27 YEARS OLD, AND RIZZOLI,S MOM IS LIKE 55??? IT CAN BE TRUE,,,UR JOKINGGGGG….HHHHHHHHHH

• Kristine says:

It isn’t frost who ends up with her in the books it’s Vince korsack

• David Bowes says:

He couldn’t make it on CSI Miami what makes them think he can here, I’m with you what a douche.

• Latanya says:

I hope producers come to their sences and wake up before its too late and we have to result to reading the books because audiences will abandon the show. I am a Rizoli & Isles fan, I will watch each episode…I hope everyone who is a TRUE FAN will also. :) <3

2. Templeton says:

Really??? why? Eddie has, maybe two facial expressions…that’s it. Could someone with talent not be found?

3. Karen says:

That’s it! I’m not even going to bother watching season 3 of Rizzoli and Isles. This show is over. I’m done with it!

• maqggie says:

hey give the guy a break like you are perfect really? GET OVER IT

• Beth says:

I agree. Lay off. The show is already great, and maybe he will be a great addition. But he’s only on for multi-episode arc. It’s not like he’s apermanent cast member. But give the guy a chance.

4. How about NO love interests? Please and thank you.

• Karen says:

Perfectly said! This show is called Rizzoli and Isles for a reason. It’s about Jane and Maura and their relationship. It’s not about Jane and Maura and all the men they can throw at them. Why doesn’t Janet Tamaro just focus on them and their friendship? That’s what viewers tune in for.

• Jessie2012 says:

BRILLIANT COMMENT! It should focus on this rare chemistry between R&I that viewers love. We don’t see that on TV, but throwing in guys to mix it up is to be expected of other shows. DON’T TRY TO FIX WHAT ISN”T BROKEN WITH THIS OTHERWISE GREAT SERIES (and great casting).

• Morgan says:

I agree…though in the novels there ARE men in their lives that play key rolls…

• Ashley says:

You’re definitely right about that, though I think comparing the novels and the show is like comparing apples and chainsaws. They’re two very different beings (sometimes to the point where I wonder why bother basing the show on the book at all since there are moments where the characters are the same in name only).

• Babygate says:

This is SOOO true! I started reading the novels because I was already a fan of the show and I was shocked. The show is dramatic but also has many comedic moments whereas the books are mostly just dark and intense, although amazingly written by Ms. Garritsen. R & I focuses on the friendship while the books don’t really even develop a relationship between R & I until much later. In the show they are both single, in the book Jane is married with baby and Isles is not only ‘the queen of the dead’ but also has loser standards then the Maura we know from the show. All in all, I prefer to watch the show. I enjoy the books immensely but would not want to see them portrayed on the show.

• KeiraNY says:

Agreed!!! It’s aboutn Jane, Maura & their relationship. Not the guys we’ll know won’t be there down the road. Maura is perfect the way she is. No need to coax her out of any ‘shells’ — Blah!!!

• shirl says:

I agree

5. JoshS says:

He’s starting to look old… I guess that’s what cheating with Leann will do to a guy.

6. Dee says:

Just as long as he doesn’t make her lose like 50 lbs or anything.

:P

7. tinlizzy08 says:

I agree, cannot stand this jerk! Why oh why must R&I ruin the show by bringing in this cad?? I hope he’s gone real quick, for yeah this news makes me less interested, and not inclined at all to watch the show any longer. Can’t stand Cibrian, and piss poor mistake TPTB!!!

• Anna V says:

Great comment! The producers are ignoring the appeal of the show and throwing in horrible casting choices and plot lines to mess up the chemistry. NOT ALL WOMEN WILL FALL FOR GUEST CASTING THIS BAD AND STILL WATCH THE SHOW.

8. Tom C says:

Agreed! The show should be focus on the women working together to solve the crimes.

9. hawk4hire says:

I rly dont care who they bring on as long as Riz and Isles are back!! :)

10. GHW says:

Have the producers lost their mind??? The viewers have not. Good luck in keeping loyal followers in Season 3 with more BAD stunt casting like this.

11. donna says:

Hope he doesn’t stay long…

12. Alisha says:

This should be interesting. I’m just glad its only for a few episodes.

13. AdmHawthorne says:

Am less than thrilled with this news. Since when does Maura need to be brought out her shell, and why is it that she needs a man in order to do it IF she even needs to be “brought out”. I can think of other areas I’d rather see her come out of. More Jane and Maura screen time together, please.

• Sammie says:

I second the motion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PRODUCERS: Tease, don’t appease!

• tinlizzy08 says:

Amen! Maura might be a little socially awkward, but she is smart, funny & what are you saying PTB, that she has to brought out of her shell by a MAN to be complete? Give me a break! I liked Maura with Dr. Ian, just like I like Jane with the soldier, where we don’t have to see them all the time, but fans of the show love Maura the way she is, love the Maura/Jane friendship, and don’t need an a** like Cibrian added to the cast. I hope its only for like a 2-episode arc, I can turn those off, any more and bye bye R&I.

• Mikki says:

I agree. The crux of the show is the relationship between Maura & Jane. Their interactions are what make the show so watchable & drew me and many other viewers in in the first place. I also want more screentime between Jane & Maura. The show runners seem to forget they have two amazing lead actresses, not to mention a stellar cast to work with. No need for so many random dudes wandering aimlessly about. Jane + Maura = a winning formula. Why mess with that?

• an_objectiveperson says:

I can think of other areas I’d rather see her come out of.
      LOL IKR? Wonder which areas they could be… not that many people will notice it seems…

• an_objectiveperson says:

Sorry, it was in reply to this post.

I can think of other areas I’d rather see her come out of.

14. Alli526 says:

I think he’s hot, and that there are way too many detractors on here…

• Ajay says:

Agreed!!! He is hot and I like him…so he cheated so what? No one ever did before? Jeez….I was hoping he would be paired wig Maura!!! Yah……can’t wait to see that!!!

• Missy says:

Agreed! He s hot and I like him as an actor. I wish him well. No one is perfect and his personal life does not negate the fact that he is great on the eyes and I now have even more reason to watch one of my favorite shows.

15. cheryl says:

I liked him until he became a cheater now he is just pathetic !!!

• Ellen says:

We tend to forget that this is not about Eddie & LeAnn’s personal life; it’s about casting the right character for the story line (which we don’t know). Plus, we can’t forget that it takes two to cheat. Before we throw stones at Eddie, we should remember those things.

• Dissapointed says:

He is still a HORRIBLE actor. If not for those dimples, he would never get parts. Just horrible.

• melissa says:

People focus on Eddie and Leann’s personal life because Leann Rimes and Eddie Cibrian shove their personal lives down people’s throats on a daily basis. As we witnessed with The Playboy Club, Chase, and CSI, Eddie is not the right character for the storyline because the public doesn’t like him(he has no one to blame for this but himself since he is a willing participant in his wife’s staged pda, beach, soccer game, vacation, LAX staged photo-ops and stands by while she taunts his ex-wife using his kids), he can’t act, and people are tired of seeing his face and name since he and his wife make it a habit to tip off the paps 2-4 times/week and his wife is constantly airing all of their business via twitter.The producers are wasting their time with Eddie because this role could go to someone who could do it justice and who isn’t overexposed or such an attention seeker. If the producers instructed Eddie to lay low and to show more respect towards women, then perhaps there is a chance of saving this show. Eddie gets stones thrown at him because he is a jerk. How can this show support Eddie after the public peep show he and his wife put on while vacationing with his kids? And then as if that wasn’t enough he and his wife set up another staged photo-op at an airport.

• melissa says:

Did you see Leann and Eddie’s latest pr stunt? Once again their personal life becomes everyone’s business because they just won’t lay low or shut up. So Eddie and Leann set up the staged photo-op at LAX on Tuesday to fuel pregnancy rumors in an attempt to deflect from the backlash they were receiving because of what they did over the weekend while vacationing with Eddie’s children. What a great idea, right? Bombard the internet with “Is Leann or is Leann not pregnant” articles because that will surely make people forget those images of Eddie egging on his wife as she makes out with his friend’s wife on a balcony while his children were just a few feet away. Hopefully the producers of R &I are paying attention. This is why no one likes Eddie or Leann, their famewhoring never stops. If Leann and Eddie hadn’t invited the paps to Mammoth with them over the weekend, they wouldn’t be in this position where they have to fuel pregnancy rumors by having ENews question if a full body scan at LAX got a glimpse of Leann’s baby bump(which is odd that they would even write a article like this considering that Leann was drinking over the weekend).

16. Nancy says:

He is a really bad choice to join this cast~

• Katrina says:

I just want a series regular/slow-burn romance for either Rizzoli or Isles. This guest casting is for the birds. I could care less about Eddie Cibrian tho. Is it too late for the producers to change their minds?

17. romana2525 says:

Once again a show touted as being about women ends up being all about men. What is TNT thinking with this? The actor is horrible, and his character detracts from the only thing good about the show, which is Jane and Maura interacting with each other. Maura doesn’t need a guy to help her come out of her shell–Jane was helping her do that just fine in first season.

Stop wasting the viewers time with this kind of crap, unless you want this show canceled.

• JennS says:

Yep! You are so right. Wish the network and producers were as insightful as you, for the viewers sake. :(

• tinlizzy08 says:

I agree….Army Wives has ended up being the same way. Started with the kinship of the tribe, the 4 women & Roland (the male Army spouse) but every year after the 1st season the soldiers themselves have become more & more prevalent onscreen, taking away from the premise of the show, the Army Wives.

• an_objectiveperson says:

They can’t come back to S1 dynamics because it will look too……….you decide ;-)

They will be only friends on paper. Someone can’t stand the heat.

18. Ruth says:

What a waste. With so many other talented actors we are stuck with him. So I won’t be watching the episodes that feature him.

19. Traci Hanton says:

I don’t care who is in it as long as angie & sasha is in it I m cool

20. Tammy says:

When are the TPTB going to realise the audience want to see Rizzoli and Isles not them with yet another male!

21. Lou Ann says:

He’s fine…none of these characters follow those of author Tess Gerritsen, anyway. That was a disappointment. Liked Angie better in The Women’s Murder Club.

• Ashley says:

I agree, though Jane is often the only reason I watch (when I watch). I don’t know what the hell they did to Isles. If they liked the books so much why did they need to shoot her full of happy pills and make her a Spencer-Reid-esque know-it-all? Sigh. Adaptations can be such a let down.

• Missy says:

I know. I really loved Women’s Murder Club!

22. melissa says:

C’mon people! I’d rather she hook up with him than Giovanni. Remember that guy?! Women can’t just block men out completely and have no outside relationships. That makes for a boring and preditable show. And I think they could do a lot lot worse. He is an actor & has to work. Let’s see what he can bring to the show.

• ddutchie88 says:

“Women can’t just block men out completely and have no outside relationships.”

Yes they can. It’s called lesbianism and personally, I’m all for it… Wish TPTB wouldn’t be so scared and just go there :)

23. Joey G says:

When will networks realize this guy is no longer a good choice for any show. His douchebaggery has been out there for waaaay too long now. His appeal was ruined long ago. Even women who used to find him attractive no longer do because of what they know.

Someone once left a comment on another site about him, it was a crew member who worked on a show with him. They said they were amazed that any light reflected off of him at all given that he was such a huge black hole of self involved narcissism…or something to that effect.

24. lisa says:

This is show about women.. Of course there will men. Duh!! If you a true fan you take the good with the bad. And who knows this might be just what the show needs to keep get new fans in the mix!

• TJ Hooker says:

Last I checked men was not synonymous with cardboard douche bags. I doubt anyone will be tuning in for Eddie “I like my women 35lbs or less” Cibrian.

25. Paula says:

As someone who has read all the books in the series – just wanted to say that there ARE love interests in the books for both Jane & Maura!! Jane in fact marries Gabriel Dean and they have a baby. I don’t like the actor they picked for Dean, but I still watch. Don’t like E. Cibrian, but I’ll still watch because I like the interplay between Rizzoli, Isles, Korsak, etc….

26. Latanya says:

Keep the show as is…about how WOMEN can be just as good as men are if not better in the field of crime solving.

27. Marie90211 says:

<<>> The show works because of the chemistry between the women. That’s fun to watch. What a forced casting choice, meant to mess up a good thing and lose viewers. And yes, that guy is a no-talent, uninteresting douchebag!

28. Elrika says:

Isles is awesome and she doesn’t need any change, love her caracter, and her relationship with Jane! Bringing in a man(if u can call him that) just throws things off…but I will still tune in!! Rizzoli and Isles 4eve!!!

29. Heather says:

I just wish that the show was in the same ballpark as the books. While I love the show, I LOVED the books~so much is lost between the two.

30. FormerFan says:

Why not just change the name to “Rizzoli & Isles & Some Random Guy Thrown in To Ruin An Otherwise Good Show” ????

31. roryrants says:

I don’t care for him either, but in the novels there are men in R&I’s lives. I don’t understand why they aren’t bringing someone in to play Daniel Brophy (as in the books) instead, since Jane and Agent Dean’s romance will no doubt heat up (SPOILER ALERT)>>>cause in the books Jane and Dean get married and have a baby. I love the show, and WILL support Angie and Sasha regardless of Eddie’s casting, and I would expect other fans to buck up and do so, as well. Don’t let the ratings drop and give the network a reason to cut the series because of one GIANT mistake in casting.

• an_objectiveperson says:

Do people realize that the characters of the show are not the same as the books? For instance book Jane is SHORT and UGLY and no man approaches her because of that. Tv Jane is, well… Frost in the book is WHITE while in the show is well…black.

Jane and Maura in the books are merely colleagues.

If you want the show to resemble so much the books, then go protesting for Jane’s actress choice, but I guess in that case you’re fine with that because Angie Harmon sits well on you. You should ask for a SHORT and UGLY actress.

And LOL at believing the Dean/Jane romance will heat up. Didn’t you realize that they make him look like a hobo in the finale so that they can get rid of him? God, sometimes I wonder if people watch the show for real.

32. maria says:

Definitely will not watch. Horrible actor & person.

33. Christina says:

This show loves giving me more reasons to stop watching. I realize the characters are straight. But what the show is doing is also making them sluts. It’s guy after guy after guy. Let them keep their pants on and focus on work and their friendship. This show is about Rizzoli and Isles, and their chemistry. Not about Rizzoli, Isles and some guy they’re going to drop their pants for.

34. Daisy says:

I LOVE the show but this is a really bad choice in casting. He is not an asset to any show he’s been on and can’t act his way out of a wet paper bag. When he was younger, his looks slightly compensated for his lack of talent but this is a quality show and should focus on quality actors rather than aging lotharios. Not a good way to keep up viewership.

35. charity says:

won’t be very long before Leann is tweeting the women on the show to get them to be her best friends, thinking that will keep them from sacking with the Edster. He is a HORRIBLE, wooden actor with one facial expression,the expression being LOOK AT HOW CUTE I AM AND I’M SEXY TOO . NOT NOT NOT

36. Alison says:

I thougth it was gonna be a love interest for Jane she needs someone better than Gabriel Dean (which I hope he died) no offense to any of his fans *yeah right like he has any* gosh i could go on with reasons why i dont like him… why do all the love interests have to be for Maura anyways (maybe they want Maura to realize that Jane is the person that she should be with *in my world at least*)

37. Ajay says:

Kudos to the fans supporting the show even if they don’t support the casting…I love the show and will watch regardless of who they cast.

38. Paula says:

Yes, I realize this show, as with almost all other books made into tv shows/movies, will not be exactly like the books……characters will change gender, color, etc at the whim of the show’s writers. I was merely stating the info about the books to point out that Cibrian won’t be on for long….surely we can stand him for an episode or two…

39. Is this 1998?
    Is this show SUBTITLED: Living Out Loud ???

He is well know to be the kiss of death for shows. Just look at the Playboy Club!

This is absolutely the worst decision ever. Sasha Alexander has my condolences.

BYE Rizzoli and Isles. I’ll love you for what you were in Season One and what you could have been in subsequent seasons.

40. Well hopefully the show’s creators read some of these comments because I didn’t read any who are looking forward to this storyline. Hopefully it’s a big hoax lol. I agree with the majority is that they need to stay with the R&I chemistry and build the show around that. I won’t look forward to this storyline, but I will watch so he gets booted off the show like all tempory dicks lol

41. Mary says:

Are the writers/producers trying to turn this into Sex and the City with crimes? I don’t care one whit about who they’re dating. I do however care about the relationship between Jane and Maura and who they are. Why aren’t we allowed to see this?

42. Kelly says:

WOO HOO…Glad we’ll have some eye candy to look at! Who cares if he cheated…he didn’t cheat on any of you. Get over it!

43. David Bowes says:

I have to agree he is a douche and if he couldn’t make it on CSI Miami for more than one season what makes any Producer think he can add to their show in anyway.

44. Kathy says:

I’m with the majority here – don’t like Eddie Cibrian – never have. With any luck, Jane will get to shoot him!!

45. Gabby says:

And the penis anvil assault begins! CHEERS TO SEASON 3!

• an_objectiveperson says:

Well, Maura will touch a penis in ep 3, literally, so you decide. What great women on this show…NOT.

46. Babygate says:

I am oblivious as to what all the Eddie hate is about. I actually enjoyed the Playboy Club. I thought it was much better than other duds that we were hit with this season. Well, regardless, I love R & I. It is my absolutely fave summer show and I will watch with or without Cibrian.

47. TJ Hooker says:

LOL. Gross. Did the show put out a casting call for a massive prick? Cheating jerk aside, I thought this show was about two high powered, professional women, what’s with the writers trying to turn it into a frivolous romantic melodramedy with all these duds? Cagney & Lacey was more progressive 20+ years ago. If these ladies weren’t heading into their 40s, I swear this show would be perfect for the CW.

• an_objectiveperson says:

Well, this show has turned into a a soap-opera in S2. And not even a good one at that. And S3 will be even worse. They will make Jane wear a thong with all the men looking and smirking at her. If this isn’t bad soap-opera stuff I don’t know what it is. Maura will rub a penis in front of other people. So no, this show is not even perfect for the CW. They have better soaps there. Not to mention that at least on the CW they act their age.

• TJ Hooker says:

What the heck are you talking about? You sound about as ridiculous as this show. Lol

• WhooptyDoo says:

Just watch and you’ll understand exactly what she’s talking about.

That’s the way they meet. Maura think he’s dead and she checks his penis for a pulse. Only on Rizzoli & Isles, ladies and gentlemen.

• an_objectiveperson says:

No, this shows how ridiculous this show has become. You are just confirming that the writing of this show is well, your words, ridiculous.

48. JohninVenice says:

Gay or Straight: The subtext between the two women is what makes the show, in addition to amazingly witty and smart writing. The books were one thing. Once cast, this show took on a life of its own. SO OWN IT, TNT.

These two are in love with each other, without knowing it. They are just the last to know. That’s life… it’s real. They are looking for the perfect match, while being the perfect match for each other the whole time. That’s ok. It makes for fun watching. It’s sweet and smart.

I don’t even think the producers are aware that these actresses are exuding something beyond the script. It works. Go with it.

And, PS, HORRIBLE stunt casting with a good-looking guy they think will pull viewers. It turns them all off. :(

49. tammy says:

Agreed, I have always thought Eddie Cibrian was hot and loved him on the Playboy Club and was pissed when they cancelled it. Now I get a chance to see him again. :)

• melissa says:

The Playboy Club lost sponsors. With each and every interview that Eddie did for the show, the ratings dropped, so it’s not like they didn’t have a good reason to cancel the show. The ratings really dropped when Eddie annouced that Leann was going to be making a guest appearance on the show with him. Even before the Playboy Club aired, NBC knew that they were going to have problems with the show because of Eddie, people who attended the conferences had already stated that they wouldn’t be watching the show because of him (ie-he can’t act, he is a cheater, and he and his new wife are just way too public with their personal lives, it’s obvious that he and his wife are tipping off the paps and feeding information to the tabloids). It looks like history is repeating itself. R &I hasn’t even started yet and already Eddie and Leann are ruining it with their daily staged photo-ops, Leann’s tweets, and of course Eddie’s lack of respect for women. Why would they annouce that Eddie is going to be on their show following the huge backlash he is facing over what he and his wife did over the weekend?

50. Aurore says:

How come the guy can still find a job on tv.
    He is one of the worst actor I have ever seen.